• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Okay, hypothetical Banjo Kart roster. Let's go!

• Banjo and Kazooie
  • Mumbo
  • Bottles
  • Tooty
  • Gruntilda
  • Klungo
  • Jinjo
  • Brentilda
  • Captain Blubber
  • Boggy
  • Jamjars
  • King Jingaling
  • Humba
  • Canary Mary
  • Old King Coal
  • Jolly
  • Mr. Fit
  • Mingy Jongo
  • Pikelet
  • Trophy Thomas

Unlockable characters:

• Sabreman
  • Master Jiggywiggy
  • Captain Blackeye
  • Devil Bottles
  • Lord of Games
Rareware Guest Characters: DK and Diddy Kong, Maybe even King K. Rool too.

Throw Conker in there as well and he will be the hardest character to control because he's always wasted.

Last edited:

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
Okay, hypothetical Banjo Kart roster. Let's go!

• Banjo and Kazooie
  • Mumbo
  • Bottles
  • Tooty
  • Gruntilda
  • Klungo
  • Jinjo
  • Brentilda
  • Captain Blubber
  • Boggy
  • Jamjars
  • King Jingaling
  • Humba
  • Canary Mary
  • Old King Coal
  • Jolly
  • Mr. Fit
  • Mingy Jongo
  • Pikelet
  • Trophy Thomas

Unlockable characters:

• Sabreman
  • Master Jiggywiggy
  • Captain Blackeye
  • Devil Bottles
  • Lord of Games
Needs more Gobi.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Gobi is quadrupedal, so he can't grab the wheel. I wanted to add Mr. Vile too, but didn't for that reason. There can probably be a Gobi-inspired vehicle though, as well as Chuffy and the Saucer o' Peril.
Kazooie flew a plane in Banjo-Pilot, which even to this day I still find weird.

By the way, I am 29 years old. In case anyone was curious. Going to bed. Good night!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Gobi is quadrupedal, so he can't grab the wheel. I wanted to add Mr. Vile too, but didn't for that reason. There can probably be a Gobi-inspired vehicle though, as well as Chuffy and the Saucer o' Peril.
Maybe they can bite/gum on the wheel to turn, Though It would look pretty funny.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So here's something, I brought it up a little while ago but now that it actually seems like a remake might be on the horizon the thought returned to me: Let's say we ARE getting remakes of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, I feel like Humba Wumba is the elephant in the room here.

1559628966649.png

There's no way she wouldn't be seen as a sterotype in today's current atmostphere; a very benevolent character to be sure, but I think she's a little too on the nose. So, how would you hypothetically retool Humba Wumba for a Tooie remake that would please everybody?

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
So here's something, I brought it up a little while ago but now that it actually seems like a remake might be on the horizon the thought returned to me: Let's say we ARE getting remakes of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, I feel like Humba Wumba is the elephant in the room here.

View attachment 225772

There's no way she wouldn't be seen as a sterotype in today's current atmostphere; a very benevolent character to be sure, but I think she's a little too on the nose. So, how would you hypothetically retool Humba Wumba for a Tooie remake that would please everybody?
I think that instead of 'remakes' we need 'do-overs.'

Just make remixes of the first two games (maybe Grunty's Revenge too) and let them riff on N&B and the flaws of the older games. Like they come after N&B but are more like the older games without them having to have all of their flaws too. Humba shows up in the second and makes jokes about how she's not a stereotype anymore or something. She preferred being a mechanic (I forgot what she did in N&B) and wanted to stick with that instead. Maybe even replace her transforming role with someone else. Maybe someone with a science gimmick. Banjo-ReDooie and Banjo-ReTooie. Just spit-balling.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I think that instead of 'remakes' we need 'do-overs.'

Just make remixes of the first two games (maybe Grunty's Revenge too) and let them riff on N&B and the flaws of the older games. Like they come after N&B but are more like the older games without them having to have all of their flaws too. Humba shows up in the second and makes jokes about how she's not a stereotype anymore or something. She preferred being a mechanic (I forgot what she did in N&B) and wanted to stick with that instead. Maybe even replace her transforming role with someone else. Maybe someone with a science gimmick. Banjo-ReDooie and Banjo-ReTooie. Just spit-balling.
Yeah, the name Banjo-Redooie has really caught on around Discord and Twitter. I still like my idea of Humba being a friendly mad scientist; a counterpart to Klungo who uses scientific potions to transform the pair and make her rivalry with Mumbo about Magic VS Science

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Maybe I'm just oblivious (which could very well be true) , but why was Humba offensive? Her design is probably generic but is she really giving off negative vibes? What makes her different from Pocahontas?

This sounds like a speedy Gonzales situation to me where people just assume the character is offensive but really the people love them (although obviously Humba isn't that notable to really care as much Speedy)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Even Artsyomni, who's notorious for always being a huge skeptic, is starting to believe something will happen

It's good to be skeptical--I'm highly skeptical and even I was caught off guard by Grinch theory (still gave it a 25% fake). He leaned fake, but was balanced and said there were good points on both sides, and he could see it being true despite leaning fake.

And I agree--my ideal scenario is they re-make the duology to create a modern engine/assets for the game, get feedback so if it's a Nuts & Bolts scenario, reassess--then if sales are good, use what they have to create a Banjo-Threeie since they already have the basics covered. Of course, I would assume this is a different company, since Rare has zero interest.

Fantasy scenario is they re-make the duology, and with that create Threeie and have it all in one package. Include Stop 'n' Swop from the originals, and add their own for Threeie, and have three interconnected games in one. The last Stop 'N' Swops lets you replay the previous games using the new moves you get from the future ones.

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm just oblivious (which could very well be true) , but why was Humba offensive? Her design is probably generic but is she really giving off negative vibes? What makes her different from Pocahontas?

This sounds like a speedy Gonzales situation to me where people just assume the character is offensive but really the people love them (although obviously Humba isn't that notable to really care as much Speedy)
Native american stereotypes mixed with a sexualized design don't come off as too great. Humba's speech jibberish also doesn't help well with the above two points. She'd definitely get a do-over in a remake/sequel.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Native american stereotypes mixed with a sexualized design don't come off as too great. Humba's speech jibberish also doesn't meld well with the above two points. She'd definitely get a do-over in a remake/sequel.
Oblivious I am then, I didn't even see her as that sexualized design (didn't even notice Palutena's reveal trailer, people saw close ups of her boob's and butt. I saw her necklace and pendants)

And it's been a while since I've played Topic so I didn't even remember her speech.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just saw that as N64 being N64 *flashbacks to young Zelda*

If they remake Tooie, They probably would change the design without alienating the original. Smaller breast size obviously and longer dress. And perhaps change her text a little.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

View attachment 225772

There's quite a lot of stereotypes and offensive humour in the Banjo games in fairness. I really don't want to see a bastardised remake. If you're remaking the games, they have to be authentic to the originals.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Haven't been on this forum in a while, but the Banjo buzz has me back in the speculation game. Banjo for DLC right now is the same case that K. Rool was for the base game - my most-wanted by a significant margin; I'm keeping my hopes up, but I'm also not exactly expecting it. One way or another, I believe we will see Banjo at E3, the question is in what capacity. If Kazooie and Tooie get a remake, I hope it's on Switch or PC. That would be a dream come true to play, but at the end of the day I'd still personally prefer them to get the Smash appearance.

There's also the possibility of a new game, but I'd put that at a near 0% given the current state of Rare; unless they've struck a deal with Playtonic or something, I don't know but Banjo wouldn't be the same without the old writers, developers, and composers.

@ Humba Wumba: Could always give her N&B look (and, more importantly, remove the feather).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Just woke up and finally caught up with everything that has happened.

Of course. If R.O.B itself failed, gaming would be dead, and we wouldn't even be here talking about Smash, would we?
Keep in mind that the video game industry was only suffering in the west. It wasn't a global pandemic. There was no video game crash in places like Japan where the Famicom was booming and in the UK where people mostly had Micro computers like the ZX spectrum and the Commodore 64 (No idea how people coped with those things)

OK but seriously, was there anything I didn't cover or missed?
Google Theory?

Even Artsyomni, who's notorious for always being a huge skeptic, is starting to believe something will happen

ArtsyOmni? Now that's a name I haven't heard of in a long time, a longtime

Banjo-Redooie
I love this name and I will be disappointed if the developers of the remakes do not use this.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Humba Wumba is... unfortunate. I'm pretty keen on the scientist idea, but I also feel that she didn't need to exist at all. Would've much preferred if Mumbo kept his original role.

Haven't played enough Tooie to decide for sure but playable Mumbo looks like padding to me.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I'm fine with humba & see no real reason to changer her in a remake, she is what she is otherwise you end up with SJW snowflakes trying to change everthing about the remakes B/C rares crude humor isn't PC for nowadays & we will end up with another simpsons apu situation

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

Who's this dude? You make it sound like this guy is like Anton Ego from Ratatouille.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Me personally, I can see how Humba Wumba could definitely be considered a negative stereotype both as a representation of Native Americans and women. That said, I always thought she was freaking awesome. I like that she had a personality and a rivalry with Mumbo Jumbo and of course I thought her transformations were WAY better than Mumbo Jumbo's in Banjo-Kazooie (which is why I was glad to have Mumbo play with other types of magic and leave the transformation stuff to her), and I may or may not of had a huge crush on her as a kid don't @ me

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If they go the remake BK/BT route, I really would love them to incorporate a full 3D imagining/fleshed out version of Grunty's Revenge and bundle it as a trilogy. It'd give us something essentially, and as a trilogy I feel it'd be more successful.

ze9

Smash Ace
Only seven more days of this ****, guys. We're getting closer...

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
And then, for cruel irony, NO Smash news comes out of E3.
Or even worse NO Banjo news either. That's gonna be my expectation, honestly, no Banjo-Kazooie-related stuff once again. My expectations are so low from years of disappointment I'm just going in to this upcoming E3 to see who the new Smash characters are.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
You should avoid double posting since it is against the rules. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that.
For Banjoisawesome2020:

Double posting means two posts directly in a row, regardless of content. Figured I'd clarify that since I personally didn't know that when I started here. Don't worry though. Everyone here is really nice and nobody is yelling at you. You merely made a very simple and understandable mistake. And now you're a little wiser for it :)

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice

There is nothing racist nor sterotypical about her design. Native americans wore garb that like, I remember people getting angry about Super Mario odyssey's Mexican town, yet it didn't change.

People need to understand that there is a difference between sterootypical(every asian is good at math) and homaging design of ancient culture. By your logic every asain character that wears a rice hat is racist and stereotyping.

Last edited:

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
Humba would be fine with minor adjustments to her voice and model. I don't see it being much of a big deal honestly.

In terms of remakes and all that jazz I'll be pretty disappointed if all we get is about rare replay or hd remakes. I already own the games and i've played them a bunch, to me getting them in HD isn't that big of a deal(i can see how this might make me an outlier).

I want banjo in smash. Getting other banjo stuff would be nice, sure but without him in smash I won't be able to enjoy/appreciate what we got bc i'm a baby who didnt get what I wanted lol

I predict a rare replay "nintendo version" and banjo to smash. At this point i've decided that hyping responsibly isn't worth it. My wounds from grinch have healed. I've determined that with getting invested if you get hype and you lose, its crushing. But if you get hype and were right, i'll be even more ecstatic. IM ALL IN!

Last edited:
Top Bottom