• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Banjo Kazooie’s been getting a lot of stuff, especially for a series that’s been dead for a decade.

How curious...

Seriously, for years I havent heard a peep about Banjo, yet it just so happens a new smash has released and its in its DLC period. Its really fricking odd to say the least.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would you rather:

- Rare Replay on Switch with Rare's first party catalogue added (ie: the DKC games, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures)

- Banjo Kazooie and Tooie redone in HD.

Honestly I'd prefer the former. Apart from the other games in Rare Replay I want the original N64 style is still really charming.
Rare Replay no doubt. Having all the DKC games, DK64, DKR, the two Banjo games, and Conker all on it is way more appealing to me than Banjo remakes. Mainly because I think the aesthetic from the old games have held up and have a charm to it.

Of course I would accept either possibility but my preference would be Rare Replay no doubt.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Frankly, Tooie is a perfect sequel in every way. It expands on Banjo perfectly with new playable characters, new moves, bigger worlds, more mechanics and all while not losing the spark, charm and heart that the first game had.

Explain to me what's bad about a world-spanning quest to help some cute dinosaurs. It involves splitting up, using Chuffy, and playing as Mumbo - three of Tooie's coolest features! C'mon!
I liked that Mumbo had a larger role to play. Although solving the dinosaur families problems all for one jiggy, plus a focus on solving the inhabitants various problems was tedious, they were all neat and done well, game play wise. The onus was on you to explore every nook and cranny to find the last Unga Bunga, Terry egg, etc. Not my favourite world and far from terrible, can appreciate it for what it is.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I agree with Tooie being better than Kazooie in virtually every aspect. I also consider it to be Rare's peak 3D platformer the same way DKC2 was on the 2D front.

Like B-K was great and all but it's so simplistic and standard compared to it's sequel. I could finish B-K in a week or less. B-T requires so much more than just walking up and finding a Jiggy. Things aren't as obvious as they were in B-K and the amount of backtracking between levels gives it far more detail as well as the world of the game feeling "alive"; not to there self like the B-K ones.

That being said of course, I do have a lot more nostalgia for B-T than I do B-K. Tooie was the only game I had access to as a kid and I wasn't really aware that there was a game before it. I did get in to Kazooie later and was amazed at how much easier the game was compared to Tooie.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, I agree with Tooie being better than Kazooie in virtually every aspect. I also consider it to be Rare's peak 3D platformer the same way DKC2 was on the 2D front.

Like B-K was great and all but it's so simplistic and standard compared to it's sequel. I could finish B-K in a week or less. B-T requires so much more than just walking up and finding a Jiggy. Things aren't as obvious as they were in B-K and the amount of backtracking between levels gives it far more detail as well as the world of the game feeling "alive"; not to there self like the B-K ones.

That being said of course, I do have a lot more nostalgia for B-T than I do B-K. Tooie was the only game I had access to as a kid and I wasn't really aware that there was a game before it. I did get in to Kazooie later and was amazed at how much easier the game was compared to Tooie.
I wouldn't say Tooie is better. It's down to preference.

Kazooie is a far more breezy game, Tooie requires more complex puzzle solving.

It really just depends which you prefer. After countless playthroughs of both I prefer Tooie but they are equally good games.

ze9

Smash Ace
I've played both Kazooie and Tooie again recently, and if I had to choose, I'd say I'm firmly in Kazooie's camp.

Don't get me wrong, Tooie is great. I was amazed by how ambitious it is, by how far it pushes the boundaries of the 3d platform genre (in particular with Grunty's Industries), and by how modern some of its ideas are. It felt kinda like a proto-open world to me.
But I also thought that some parts didn't work too well. Both Witchyworld and Terrydactyland felt like a drag, I've found the amount of mini-games a bit excessive, and the 1st person shooter sections were just too much for me. Plus, there were some absurd difficulty spikes, like Canary Mary's 2nd round or that shooter section in Grunty's industries.
Above all, when I finished it, I felt satisfied, but also really tired and exhausted.

And then I've replayed Kazooie, and yeah. That one is just a masterpiece.
The pacing is perfect. Every level is just a bit more complex and difficult than the one before it. The difficulty scales up in a natural way. Gruntilda's lair itself starts to become more complex and iterconnected the further you progress through it, and the tasks you have to do to access the next level or to get the next jiggy get progressively more involved. The levels' themes are simpler than in Tooie, but still great. Freezeezy Peak and Click Clock Wood really manage to feel magical. Grunty's Furnace Fun is an unexpected and hilarious climax. The final battle with Gruntilda is one of the best final bosses ever, really epic and really difficult. The transformations are fun and don't overstay their welcome (I can't say the same for Tooie).
And last but not least, Gruntilda's constant rhyming is just hilarious.

To me, Tooie is a really great game. But Kazooie is a masterpiece, one of those games that only come out 2-3 times per console generation. That's the main reason why I want Banjo in Smash, even besides my fondness for the characters and their world, an accomplishment of this magnitude absolutely deserves to be represented in gaming's biggest crossover. It is one of the N64's defining games.

D

Deleted member

I honestly need a recap of what has been happening recently with Banjo, because im out of the loop.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I freaking loved Tooie and played it wayyyyy more as a kid than Kazooie, even though I loved and beat the crap out of Kazooie. So much more you got to do and so much stuff was added in, it felt like a legit epic sequel that expanded and added onto the gameplay of Kazooie. And I'm with you Planet Cool, I freaking adored Terrydactyland. As soon as I saw this photo of Banjo as a T. Rex on the early days of the Internet:

I just HAD to get to that world when I got that game. It sucked we couldn't do more with Daddy T. Rex but I still spent so much time just stomping around the base part of that level terrorizing the Bargasauruses and laughing at the Soarsauruses' feeble attempts to attack you. Haters gonna hate.
Dog, I remember seeing that picture (and one of Kazooie wearing the Claw Clamber boots) and flipping out about them for about four uninterrupted hours. Then there was an issue of Nintendo Power with Kirby 64 on the cover that had a big, meaty article on Banjo-Tooie where I saw even more. I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a game release. Maybe DKC Returns or Tropical Freeze.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We agree the worse jiggie in the games is that dumb bird race in Cloud cuckooland right? Screw Canary Mary

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Remakes of the first two games or a Rare Replay port for Switch don't really seem likely imo. The former because we already do have HD remakes in the form of the 360/Rare Replay versions. It has improved graphics and even reincorporated Stop N Swop. The latter because many of the games in Rare Replay are done through 360 backwards compatibility so it'd be really tricky to port to Switch.
If we were to get anything. I think we could get standalone Switch ports of the first two games. Banjo in Smash sounds like a pipedream, but they are heavily requested so I'm sure we'll get them at some point (whether through this dlc pass, a future one, or future Smash release).
But you know what? Even if we get nothing this E3, it's nice to see merch and many fans still supporting the old bear and bird. :b:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We agree the worse jiggie in the games is that dumb bird race in Cloud cuckooland right? Screw Canary Mary
As someone who only played a bit of Kazooie, I saw that race in a Tooie playthrough. I know how it feels to have bull**** races like that. Diddy Kong Racing is full of that. It's honestly not very fun. These aren't challenging. They're just hard for the sake of being hard, imo.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I never understood the backtracking complaint in these games. The games are all about exploration so it's no different than your average open world game which has even bigger worlds to explore.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
As someone who only played a bit of Kazooie, I saw that race in a Tooie playthrough. I know how it feels to have bull**** races like that. Diddy Kong Racing is full of that. It's honestly not very fun. These aren't challenging. They're just hard for the sake of being hard, imo.
Honestly, Diddy Kong Racing relies a lot less on rubberbanding than Mario Kart 64. If you're skilled enough, you can make the other racers eat your dust in spectacular fashion, but it (and the much more strict item system) also means you're absolutely screwed if you're not as good as the game thinks you should be. Especially since you only progress by coming in first.

I actually managed to 100% the game, though. Even got TT. Don't ask me how I did it.

Oh yeah. At least that's only hard the first time, before you figure out the gimmick. These days I can do it pretty easily on my first or second try.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I managed to beat her for the jiggy, but I can't for the life of me beat her for the cheato page. That jukebox will have to stay broken lol.
EDIT: At least until I get an N64 controller with a turbo button. That's technically cheating but %$#@ it lol.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never understood the backtracking complaint in these games. The games are all about exploration so it's no different than your average open world game which has even bigger worlds to explore.
Though I can get where they're coming from. Backtracking in itself is not necessarily bad. However, having to do a huge amount of stuff for one Jiggy can be annoying. A problem with adventure games is sometimes the prize is too small for the task. You could say that stuff like Super Mario 64 doesn't have a good balance that way.

Honestly, Diddy Kong Racing relies a lot less on rubberbanding than Mario Kart 64. If you're skilled enough, you can make the other racers eat your dust in spectacular fashion, but it (and the much more strict item system) also means you're absolutely screwed if you're not as good as the game thinks you should be. Especially since you only progress by coming in first.

I actually managed to 100% the game, though. Even got TT. Don't ask me how I did it..
Funny thing is the rubberbanding didn't hurt me at all. They weren't too fast on its own. That's bad design, but I could easily get past it. It's when later games had a broken version of the Blue Shell that issues started to arise. Mario Kart Wii bombards you with items when you're in first place, which honestly isn't that fun. Why should you be punished super hard for... being good? It's terrible balance. Rubberbanding AI only keeps you on your feet, but doesn't make them unbeatable at any level. So I'll take that over item spam or massively unreasonable speed.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Would you rather:

- Rare Replay on Switch with Rare's first party catalogue added (ie: the DKC games, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures)

- Banjo Kazooie and Tooie redone in HD.

Honestly I'd prefer the former. Apart from the other games in Rare Replay I want the original N64 style is still really charming.
That's actually quite difficult. I would have said HD remakes if it was straight up Rare Replay (outside of the xbox games)--since then I'd just be able to play Rare Replay elsewhere if I wanted to. Diddy Kong Racing makes it tricky. Hmmm...

I think I'd still go with the remakes if and only if it played the same as the originals, just with a graphical overall and the updated features (e.g., notes save, jiggy hints, etc). If it played differently, then I'd go with Rare Replay on the Switch. I could also find a way to play Rare Replay, buy a cart of Diddy Kong Racing. HD remakes would be something new and fresh and make more of a splash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Remakes of the first two games or a Rare Replay port for Switch don't really seem likely imo. The former because we already do have HD remakes in the form of the 360/Rare Replay versions. It has improved graphics and even reincorporated Stop N Swop. The latter because many of the games in Rare Replay are done through 360 backwards compatibility so it'd be really tricky to port to Switch.
If we were to get anything. I think we could get standalone Switch ports of the first two games. Banjo in Smash sounds like a pipedream, but they are heavily requested so I'm sure we'll get them at some point (whether through this dlc pass, a future one, or future Smash release).
But you know what? Even if we get nothing this E3, it's nice to see merch and many fans still supporting the old bear and bird. :b:
I think Rare Replay on Switch could happen, but it'd be like a Nintendo version with the 360 stuff getting removed and the new versions of the B-K game and Conker getting replaced with the N64 versions.

I don't remember if I ever actually got that jiggy.

It was so hard trying to press the button fast enough without feeling like half my arm was gonna fall off - might've just been for the Cheato page, though, I forgot about those.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Tooie is one of those rare (no pun intended) games that gets better the more repeat playthroughs you do. First time around it's very confusing and sometimes frustrating but on a second or third playthrough you already know what's up and get to enjoy the game design more.

Also Canary Mary races are easy to cheese, the hardest Jiggy for me was Saucer of Peril 2

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I can't believe this hasn't been brought up before ,But since we are in the topic of both games my question is...

What is everyone's favorite "Subliminal Messages" or "Sexual Innuendos" from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie?
tumblr_nqlzt3NTMe1tptpfqo1_400.gif

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I can't believe this hasn't been brought up before ,But since we are in the topic of both games my question is...

What is everyone's favorite "Subliminal Messages" or "Sexual Innuendos" from Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie?
View attachment 225759
Everything Honey B. says in Tooie pretty much
other than that... there's a hen in Grunty's Revenge called Momma Clucker

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As funny as this stuff can be, even for me, it borders inappropriate comments too easily, so let's not talk about this, please. :)

D

Deleted member

Canary Mary isn't so bad once you learn the forbidden technique of putting your index finger nail under your thumb nail and rubbing them across the button as fast as possible.
Even still I hold that the races in Cloud Cuckoo Land just straight-up don't work right, the mouse never feels like it's going as fast as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Canary Mary isn't so bad once you learn the forbidden technique of putting your index finger nail under your thumb nail and rubbing them across the button as fast as possible.
Even still I hold that the races in Cloud Cuckoo Land just straight-up don't work right, the mouse never feels like it's going as fast as it should.
It's possible to cheese the races by moderately tapping behind her, never in front, or else her rubberband triggers and just straight up demolishes you. Jiggy race is easy to use this trick with, but Cheato page might take a couple of attempts even with that.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I am really liking our odds for E3. Maybe not a smash fighter since no one really knows for sure what the DLC is. But I like our odds for Banjo having some sort of special presence at E3.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The 2nd race for the Cheato Page in that world makes the first race for the Jiggy look like a walk in the park.

I managed to beat her for the jiggy, but I can't for the life of me beat her for the cheato page. That jukebox will have to stay broken lol.
EDIT: At least until I get an N64 controller with a turbo button. That's technically cheating but %$#@ it lol.
The key to winning the 2nd race is by letting Canary Mary stay in 1st place throughout more than half of the race and than speeding up in front of her near the very end. Otherwise, she will gain insane speed and you won't be able to beat her.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Though I can get where they're coming from. Backtracking in itself is not necessarily bad. However, having to do a huge amount of stuff for one Jiggy can be annoying. A problem with adventure games is sometimes the prize is too small for the task. You could say that stuff like Super Mario 64 doesn't have a good balance that way.
I haven't played Tooie in a long time so I don't know the full extent of that game's problems, but I have played DK64 and Yooka Laylee which are similarly criticised for the same thing, and I mostly had fun collecting the Jiggy equivalent in those games. I feel like the only time I had a problem with backtracking in any kind of game it was Hollow Knight, but I still loved exploring in that game. I guess I'm weird. :upsidedown:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Oh yes! Erdrick is really big...
Yeah, and from what I hear, the E3 direct would be happening while people in Japan are asleep so most of the people seeing an Erdrick reveal would be Westerners. I know Nintendo can be stupid with marketing and Square Enix wants to advertise DQ to the West, but wouldn't revealing Erdrick when people in both Japan (DQ's main audience) and the West (who Square is trying to market DQ to) are awake make more sense?

I don't know how to embed tweets, but Sabi is calling out Billybo10K for doing a video on the Source Nintendo tweets.

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1135652501141610496

It's pretty obvious that "Source Nintendo" is just making guesses and passing them off as leaks.
I mean he is the same guy who said Artorias wouldn't be good in Smash because of "body horror" or some bull**** (this was around the peak of the Google Theory stuff) and I kinda stopped watching him once he finished his Classic mode runs

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I haven't played Tooie in a long time so I don't know the full extent of that game's problems, but I have played DK64 and Yooka Laylee which are similarly criticised for the same thing, and I mostly had fun collecting the Jiggy equivalent in those games. I feel like the only time I had a problem with backtracking in any kind of game it was Hollow Knight, but I still loved exploring in that game. I guess I'm weird. :upsidedown:
Yooka-Laylee's only problem with exploration and back-tracking was the severe lack of warp-pads that Tooie had, especially considering the worlds are much larger.

I enjoyed Yooker and plan to revisit it in the next month or so because I haven't played that QoL update it had after release, just beat it once and didn't touch.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I never did understand how to get TT or Drumstick even after looking it up.

As funny as this stuff can be, even for me, it borders inappropriate comments too easily, so let's not talk about this, please. :)
It is hilarious that this “children’s game” contains content, some even pretty overt, that can’t even be mentioned.

ze9

Smash Ace
Backtracking in itself is fine, but in some of Terrydactyland's jiggies more than backtracking it's padding.
Like, the hungry cavemen. I don't remember how many pieces of food they needed. Like, 5 or 6? But you can't leave Witchyworld with more than 2.
So you have to do, like, go to Witchyworld from the cave, buy one hamburger at the hambuerger stand, than buy one pack of fries at the fries stand, then you go back to the cave, you give the food to the cavemen, then you come back to Witchyworld, you go to the hamburger stand etc. etc., the trip is kind of long and 100% eneventful.
Not much fun to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never did understand how to get TT or Drumstick even after looking it up.
I think you beat all Time Trials for TT? I forget. I think you had to run over some kind of chicken or whatever for Drumstick.

It is hilarious that this “children’s game” contains content, some even pretty overt, that can’t even be mentioned.
Oh, definitely. I just want to keep the thread clean, that's all~

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I think you beat all Time Trials for TT? I forget. I think you had to run over some kind of chicken or whatever for Drumstick.
You murder a frog in cold blood for Drumstick. TT you just beat the time trials which are actually incredibly easy if you know about releasing A for the boosts.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am really liking our odds for E3. Maybe not a smash fighter since no one really knows for sure what the DLC is. But I like our odds for Banjo having some sort of special presence at E3.
It does seem like everything is actually pointing to Banjo for "Something". I feel all we could get is Rare Replay on Switch.

A remaster COULD be announced, but I have a feeling if that was the case, Grant K. would certainly know about it. Unless they replace Grant as composer for someone else.

OR this will be the first anyone hears of a Banjo Kazooie Remake. Much like how Nomura didn't know he was doing Final Fantasy 7 Remake until it was announced. Or Sakurai for Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm pretty sure was Drumstick transformed into a frog by Wizpig.
I don't remember the details, but more specifically, you need to "drive over the frog" to unlock Drumstick. You won't find it in an area where you can use items on it or whatever. So the term murder is a tad misleading.

...I wonder if this was a blatant joke on Frogger or not?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I hated the first Wizpig race and I only beat him a few years afterwards. It always felt like it boiled down to chance. Get every booster, don't slow down for a microsecond, have him crash behind you to push you forward.

I hated that alot.

I haven't played BK or BT in years.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Banjo-Kazooie

Also I think we can all agree the Source Gaming thing is just safe predictions

Top Bottom