• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not about to let that get my hopes up, but at the very least, it makes me so happy that Microsoft is on the ball with getting more Banjo merchandise out there. That makes my little heart ecstatic.

ze9

Smash Ace
Well, what can I say.
These last news are more than enough to upstage the pessimism of last night.
Man I'm so pumped I'm turning into a super sayan right now.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Something else to note. The tweet that started this all, the one that showed off the render of the controller holder; it wasnt just a random tweet they made: It was in response to a random person tweeting about wanting Banjo at E3 that they just decided to respond to. They actively looked for a Banjo E3 tweet to drop this into

This wasnt even DIRECTED at them!

20190601_163726.jpg

Violante

Smash Apprentice
It could also be some cynical advertising narrowing out the people who've expressed interest in the character.

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
I love this image btw lol

Mod Edit: Image removed due to uncensored swearing. Plus, somebody posted it up above with it censored.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I hope all this leads to something substantial, and not just useless nostalgia pandering.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It could also be some cynical advertising narrowing out the people who've expressed interest in the character.
This is exactly what I was going to say. You're a company about to sell merch for an IP, around the time of E3, and you're not under NDA so you can say whatever you want, get the clicks by being coy and leading people to believe something's happening. Of course, something could be happening, and the history of the company suggests it's a possibility, there's a more sobering reality that it's just a marketing gimmick. We'll see soon, one way or the other.

You can’t tell me that all this new Banjo merch popping up suddenly is all for just for nothing
It happened last year, on the much more special occasion of their 20th anniversary--where ten years before a new game was released. And then nothing. It could have been held back for this year, but it's better to be skeptical, and then pleasantly surprised if something happens. I have my money on nada--the most I can hope for is a Smash reveal, and it'd likely be unrelated to the merchandise.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I hope all this leads to something substantial, and not just useless nostalgia pandering.
This is why I don't put much stock into figurine related things. There are plenty of people eager to buy official merch of old favorites, and there are more than enough people in the market to look at that eagerness and decide to turn a profit off of it regardless of other circumstances at the time. You can always ask, but why now? But it really could come down to a million factors that have allowed these figurines and merch to be released now as opposed to more specifically advertising something new. There's already increased exposure with Rare Replay, so it could all just mean goddamn nothing in the end and be absolutely unsurprising.

For reference, I'm actually quite optimistic towards the chances of Banjo Kazooie in Smash right now, I just don't see figurines as compelling evidence on their own and am much more nihilistic when it comes to business practices of such people producing figurines. If they saw a place to exploit some nostalgia for gain, I'm sure they'd do it (and also some people just genuinely want to make figures of characters too).

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Maybe, but looking back at their Twitter I don't get that impression from these guys
There is a clear pattern here from these EG lads. Why is Banjo suddenly the exception to this? Combine the first 2 Banjo-kazooie games on display in Microsoft stores with this and it's clear that something is coming. Something big.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Can you guys freaking imagine if Sakurai appears in the E3 Direct and says, "Guys, I've heard your requests and I am eager to comply. Today, I announce the arrival of a banjo-strumming nineties gaming legend to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! That's right, it's..."

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There is a clear pattern here from these EG lads. Why is Banjo suddenly the exception to this? Combine the first 2 Banjo-kazooie games on display in Microsoft stores with this and it's clear that something is coming. Something big.
Did we ever get actual physical proof that Banjo Kazooie is on display in the Microsoft stores? And, if so, was it on a wide enough scale to actually warrant proper attention?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have to agree that there IS a pattern with how they release their stuff

Classic Sonic for Mania
Classic Knuckles for Mania Plus (I believe)
Classic Tails for Team Sonic Racing
Spyro for Reiginited
Crash for N. Sane
Hulk for Infinity War
Iron Man for Endgame

So Banjo and them suddenly chiming in around E3 is worth a closer examination in my eyes

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Did we ever get actual physical proof that Banjo Kazooie is on display in the Microsoft stores? And, if so, was it on a wide enough scale to actually warrant proper attention?
Unless someone has an actual video of it in the stores this is what I got.
20190520_162211.jpg

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
I went to the Microsoft store in Manhattan the other day, and basically there’s 3 Xbox display screens that you can come in and play whatever games available.
I know that the one I used had both Kazooie and Tooie in their library, nothing about a banjo specific display. It’s just an option within a library, at least for me.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Wow. With all of this new stuff coming out, I’d like to remind everyone of fatmanonice’s post from awhile back.

00F697D6-5EA1-4470-AD0E-D0B64D34B695.png

I really think there’s something big here, not just with Smash. If that tweet (especially with the pattern of announcing figures close to game announcements) is anything to go on... we’re in for it this year friendos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Banjo gets more likely for me each day we pass.

Hoping for a dual reveal of both him and a Dragon Quest rep at E3.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I really freaking hope all this actually leads to Banjo & Kazooie getting into Smash Bros. as part of the Fighter Pass. If they get in with the best moveset and content based on their original games, not only will I never complain about anything video game-related ever again, but it could lead the way for them making a huge comeback to video gaming after a literal decade of nothing for them. I’m talking ports, remasters, and/or maybe even a possible official sequel!

Last edited:

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
Just an FYI, it doesn’t really matter if Rare doesn’t care about remaking Banjo Kazooie, Microsoft can just hire people who do like they did Killer Instinct and the upcoming Battletoads

ze9

Smash Ace
TODAY
IS GONNA BE THE DAY
THATWE'RE GONNA BE CRAWLING BACK TO BANJO

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANYBODY
FEELS THE WAY WE DO
ABOUT BANJO NOW
*sips*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something else to note. The tweet that started this all, the one that showed off the render of the controller holder; it wasnt just a random tweet they made: It was in response to a random person tweeting about wanting Banjo at E3 that they just decided to respond to. They actively looked for a Banjo E3 tweet to drop this into

This wasnt even DIRECTED at them!

View attachment 225480
To divert attention from this for a moment, I'd love to see someone actually do a video of Banjo saying that "Here we go again" meme while walking to Grunty's lair.

That being said, this is unusually coy. For a moment I actually thought it was supposed to be about the First 4 Figure.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Sabi continues to deliver

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Wow. With all of this new stuff coming out, I’d like to remind everyone of fatmanonice’s post from awhile back.

View attachment 225512

I really think there’s something big here, not just with Smash. If that tweet (especially with the pattern of announcing figures close to game announcements) is anything to go on... we’re in for it this year friendos.
CD1B501E-C8C4-4EC4-854B-A074C22C8F55.png

He went a little deeper on that recently. It could be Banjo but there are others who fit the bill is what he said, one in particular too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe $200 SKU is the N64 Classic?

I... honestly hope not.
I blame licensing. If it has a huge amount of games, like at least 20... it's not that off from a fair price. 20 times 10 is 200 after all. But I'd expect way more, like at least 40 to justify that horrific price. With every version of the game possible(including 1.1 etc.) Otherwise, no way is it justified, despite the licensing. My guess is it's some kind of major game bundle, like a huge Pokemon bundle or something, full of many of the original game releases. It still costs a lot for some VC games, so I can understand a huge game collection being around 200. But again, licensing is a thing. Otherwise, maybe it's just a console re-release? Unless these are video games only?

And it'd have to have two updated controllers that are similar to the GameCube Controller, perhaps. Though I'd want that anyway.

Violante

Smash Apprentice
I think they should faithfully replicate the N64 controllers for the mini but have them connected with gamecube ports, so you have the option of switching out the controller.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I do suggest to hype responsibly,!but.... LETS GO BOIS LETS GO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO! BANJO!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think they should faithfully replicate the N64 controllers for the mini but have them connected with gamecube ports, so you have the option of switching out the controller.
The problem is the three prong system(or basically requiring three hands). They're not well-designed for that. There's a Superpad design that is similar to the GameCube controller that is way better. Not just because of a vastly better stick, but it allows you to play and use every button well. The main thing going for the regular design is if you have to spin the controller a lot. It's a bit easier to grip for that while using your palm. Of course... there's also the issue of damaging your skin, so eh.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Things are getting very interesting....... I'm gonna have to watch the X-Box event live aren't I? I'm really curious on the extent of this friendship. Are they going to announce they're games for switch? Banjo?

We have to remember, even if new Banjo game is announced, no guarantee it'll come to Switch (but please come home to Nintendo, and Smash)

But I'm convinced, BANJO IS GOING TO BE AT e3, the question is how

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If it's going to cost $200 for a 64 mini I would much prefer they just stick those 20 games on a $60 switch cart and call it a day.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
You guys are really getting my hopes up. I've never felt more confident about Banjo's chance as I am now.

It's possible that this is some cynical marketing campaign, but I'm not sure it would be worth the risk. There would be a huge backlash from Banjo and Smash fans for them getting their hopes up like that which could lead to boycotts and online campaigns against them. Doing this as a stunt would be in very poor taste and these guys don't come across as the types who would do that.

Mr. Stagg

If it's going to cost $200 for a 64 mini I would much prefer they just stick those 20 games on a $60 switch cart and call it a day.
Big part of it is the appearance. Wouldn't it be sick for a N64 mini to have a set of little N64 cartridges that you set in the top? I wouldn't mind shelling out some extra for the nostalgic feeling of putting the game cartridges in and flipping the power on.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Black Widow: We have a 2nd Chance
Hawkeye: Don’t…
Black Widow: Don’t What?
Hawkeye: Don’t Give Me Hope

Top Bottom