• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I already expressed I don't think Banjo will make it into the base game. Just the idea they would do a full cinematic trailer for them when so many other characters are fightimg for contention just seems impossible. So i actually am anticipating DLC moreso
Fact is they had to make Smash 4 DLC for the Wii-U which was dying pretty hard in 2016 so I'm sure they cut DLC short to focus on Ultimate instead. With Ultimate, do you guys think they would have a DLC span lasting the same length or longer than Smash 4 (7 characters, with 3 veterns and 4 new characters)?

Knowing all Smash Ultimate DLC will be new characters is extremly exciting. And Switch is a hot console, they dont have to settle for just 7 newcomers. If this is to be the Ultimate Smash, they could spend the next 2-3 years addimg characters like a traditional fighting game dlc format, increasing fan favorites like Banjo drastically and giving Sakurai time to deal with legal and licensing issues without worrying about deadlines. I think DLC character royalties would also be cheaper than royalties of characters in the base roster? Since DLC characters inevitably sell less units than the base roster. I wish i fully understood that aspect

Unfortunately his criteria worries me. Of course Sakurai changes his mind often but he has said he wants every character to have something unique about them.

K Rool has unique properties on his Blunderbuss, obviously Inkling has Ink, Simom/Rictor have long range whips and projectiles, even Ridley has a down B that stuns and does a million damage. Maybe I'm not creative but Banjo & Kazooie seem more like they just have normal solid moves but nothing really sticking out, which i wouldn't mind but i wonder if to Sakurai that dampens his view of them. That and he says he tries not to add characters from dead series, though that was 2008 and at this point a lot of series in Smash are only popping up every once in a while and are sometimes considered dead.

Banjo has fan popularity on his side though, and a couple words from Phil Spencer. I hope at this point thats all thats needed for the Smash team to want to add a character. So far none of the character picks have been nonpopular characters, they really want to satisfy with the "everyone is here" philosophy, and make the impossible possible. God dreams will be made and shattered in the next 3 months in the most dangerous quantities we'll ever see
To your first point, I actually think that's why Banjo & Kazooie would make a great final reveal trailer. The names being thrown out--Bandana Waddle Dee, Skull Kid, Geno--they wouldn't really make for great hype trailers compared to Ridley, Simon and K Rool, and some like Geno wouldn't be as appreciated from the wider audience outside of Smash speculation. Banjo & Kazooie are in a unique position--third party characters with an enormous legacy with Nintendo as originally first party characters. And the franchise has the characters, music and settings to make an awesome reveal trailer. I think the only character that could match that would be Sora--but even then, Sora was not as popular as Banjo in 2015 ballot days, and we know the character's possible thanks to Disney giving the okay, whereas Banjo & Kazooie would be the defining "making the impossible possible" moment. My only hesitations are--while Microsoft would like Banjo in Smash, I have a fear Nintendo wouldn't and would genuinely be impossible. And 103 possibly being the final stage count does have me worried, and we may not get any more new series IP for the base game.

And I have a differing opinion to many people--I really would love for Smash Ultimate to be the last game. I feel like any successor would be taking a major step back, and this is the perfect opportunity to make Smash a games-as-a-service. We have everything we need in the base game--every prior character, almost every stage, modes everyone has been wanting for years, combined console and handheld system. Then characters/stages could be continually added. The only issue is Nintendo hasn't been good with backwards compatibility, and their Switch successor could very well not play Switch games, and an Ultimate port would have the same legal hurdles as bringing everyone back in Smash's successor. But that would be my pipe dream, as it's something I had hoped for years, and "everyone is here" opened that possibility.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Speaking of pipe dreams... something that would be amazing is if Microsoft decided to develop a Banjo game be it new or an HD remake as a sort of duel exclusive... sort of like what theyre doing with Minecraft. Have it be on Xbox and Switch, it would probably sell better on the Switch but either way they'd make money... I think it would actually be a smart move on their part. They could even find a way to utilize the cross play they and Nintendo have had. I mean clearly they aren't using Banjo... Rare isn't interested in making Banjo. Hand it off to another dev and share it with Nintendo. Does Nintendo deserve to have a shared IP? No. They wouldn't do the same with MS but then again Nintendo aren't the ones in the red right now. I just think it would be smart of MS to market Banjo to a demographic that actually wants him. When you'd pop the game into your Switch you'd still be seeing Microsoft Studios on the title screen so everyone knows who's getting the credit.. it's absolutely a pipe dream though and would never happen.. our only chance to see Banjo on a Nintendo console again is in Smash..
Unfortunately, the heads of companies have huge egos. Even if Microsoft were to get a split of the profits for no work, they wouldn't do it as Nintendo would get all the credit.
Stop and Swap, guys. Lock content in each version of the game so that you have to transfer data across consoles to get everything. It's a **** move but it would force the Nintendo Banjo lovers to get an Xbone and that's marketing goals right there. Not to mention using a big name from the franchise's past to achieve them.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Considering how big a moneymaker Smash is and that Microsoft is noticably not doing too well, I have a hard time believing they would pass up this opportunity to get another dig at Sony in.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just wish big companies would put their differences aside, not just for money, not just for the fans, but to celebrate and appreciate a bear and bird's 20th Anniversary, chances are they aren' getting a new game this year, so the least Nintendo and Microsoft can do to celebrate their legacy is give them a chance to shine in Super Smash Bros, a roster spot that they so rightfully earned.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
So, Banjo-Kazooie's 20th anniversary in Japan is December 6th... Any chance we could see them revealed a day before Smash Bros. releases? Haha!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I really do think the ball is in Sakurai's court, Microsoft has shown it's willing to give Banjo a shot. It's all on Sakurai.... but we're looking at a Sakurai who just put Ridley and K. Rool in the same Smash at the same time... if fan service is truly his goal this time around I can't see him not reaching for Banjo... I mean Banjo was considered back in Melee so it's not like the character was never on his mind as an addition to Smash. He put characters in the current game that I'm sure we're below Banjo in the states and Japan

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So, Banjo-Kazooie's 20th anniversary in Japan is December 6th... Any chance we could see them revealed a day before Smash Bros. releases? Haha!
oh wow I had no idea about that. Now i really believe he could be the last newcomer announced as a surprise.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
To your first point, I actually think that's why Banjo & Kazooie would make a great final reveal trailer. The names being thrown out--Bandana Waddle Dee, Skull Kid, Geno--they wouldn't really make for great hype trailers compared to Ridley, Simon and K Rool, and some like Geno wouldn't be as appreciated from the wider audience outside of Smash speculation. Banjo & Kazooie are in a unique position--third party characters with an enormous legacy with Nintendo as originally first party characters. And the franchise has the characters, music and settings to make an awesome reveal trailer. I think the only character that could match that would be Sora--but even then, Sora was not as popular as Banjo in 2015 ballot days, and we know the character's possible thanks to Disney giving the okay, whereas Banjo & Kazooie would be the defining "making the impossible possible" moment. My only hesitations are--while Microsoft would like Banjo in Smash, I have a fear Nintendo wouldn't and would genuinely be impossible. And 103 possibly being the final stage count does have me worried, and we may not get any more new series IP for the base game.

And I have a differing opinion to many people--I really would love for Smash Ultimate to be the last game. I feel like any successor would be taking a major step back, and this is the perfect opportunity to make Smash a games-as-a-service. We have everything we need in the base game--every prior character, almost every stage, modes everyone has been wanting for years, combined console and handheld system. Then characters/stages could be continually added. The only issue is Nintendo hasn't been good with backwards compatibility, and their Switch successor could very well not play Switch games, and an Ultimate port would have the same legal hurdles as bringing everyone back in Smash's successor. But that would be my pipe dream, as it's something I had hoped for years, and "everyone is here" opened that possibility.
If Banjo-Kazooie make it in, this being the last Smash game would be absolutely fine by me. Every character to ever be in Smash, along with long-awaited newcomers including my all-time favorite video game characters counted among them, nearly every stage remastered in HD, countless ways to play the game the way YOU want it, hours of amazing video game music, and on top of all that, BEING ABLE TO TAKE IT AND PLAY IT ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD AT ANY TIME would be a dream come true. If they end up being the very last DLC characters to make it in, I’ll never complain about anything ever again. I’ll be able to die happily knowing I have a game that has the biggest video game characters ever dukeing it out to be the best.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I was going to bring that up one of these days too, guess what's also on that very same day the VGA's !!! Couldn't be a much more perfect time for 1 final big reveal the day before launch.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I really do think the ball is in Sakurai's court, Microsoft has shown it's willing to give Banjo a shot. It's all on Sakurai.... but we're looking at a Sakurai who just put Ridley and K. Rool in the same Smash at the same time... if fan service is truly his goal this time around I can't see him not reaching for Banjo... I mean Banjo was considered back in Melee so it's not like the character was never on his mind as an addition to Smash. He put characters in the current game that I'm sure we're below Banjo in the states and Japan
One thing that came up in the last direct that got me super excited was, among everything else, was the inclusion of Ditto as a Poke Ball Pokemon. Why? Because that was an idea originally to be implemented in Melee, but got thrown out when it was deemed at the time too complicated. The fact that Sakurai brought back such an interesting but small idea from Melee after all these years gives me hope that he remembered wanting to put Banjo in Smash back then and with the outpouring of support in recent months and during the ballot would make him go to Microsoft to appeal for them to be in Smash.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I do think Microsoft is less of a concern than most people think--but I also think the ball is in Nintendo's court rather than Sakurai's. Even if Sakurai wanted B&K in due to their potential popularity in the ballot, Nintendo could immediately veto it as advertising a rival's IP. I think the conflict is overstated, but not non-existent and it would still be a huge legal hurdle to get over. That being said, Sakurai said he had to twist some arms, and I think Nintendo would respect Sakurai's judgement if he felt like they were important to be in the game. And I had the same reaction as TheZoologist TheZoologist seeing Ditto--knowing he was scrapped from Melee, and B&K were considered but dropped from Melee--due to legal issues at the time that are less of an issue now? It seems so perfect.

And likewise it would be perfect to have the announcement on December 6th--which is why I feel like it's unlikely. Smash rarely does announcements with anniversaries/other announcements. And I feel like they would want to get every newcomer out of the way by that point because the closer to the date, the more likely a newcomer would be legitimately leaked. Also there's a selfish part of me that wants them confirmed ASAP so I can go through the rest of the speculation cycle without any anxiety.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I didn't know that either.. that's great though because that just mean's that the whole end of the year has Banjo potential! I must admit that Banjo has been getting more attention for his 20th anniversary than he did for his 15th... making me feel like there's more to Rare and Microsoft pushing Banjo despite him not having a game announcement.

Plus we still have that Totaku Banjo figure which still has yet to be shown.. almost as if it's because theres more to show for Banjo...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I didn't know that either.. that's great though because that just mean's that the whole end of the year has Banjo potential! I must admit that Banjo has been getting more attention for his 20th anniversary than he did for his 15th... making me feel like there's more to Rare and Microsoft pushing Banjo despite him not having a game announcement.

Plus we still have that Totaku Banjo figure which still has yet to be shown.. almost as if it's because theres more to show for Banjo...
Don't forget that plushie from that gamestop listing that should be out in October.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
First DLC character if not in the base roster anyone? I'd be such a great way to celebrate the character if he couldn't make it initially.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

The Totaku figure actually kind of worries me just a bit

If Banjo's in Smash, then he's getting an amiibo... so why would they make a figure for Totaku? Totaku is generally seen as Amiibo competition featuring "Everything else". Of course Totaku lacks the functionality of Amiibo, but wouldn't it have been better to just wait for the Amiibo?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

If Banjo's in Smash, then he's getting an amiibo... so why would they make a figure for Totaku? Totaku is generally seen as Amiibo competition featuring "Everything else". Of course Totaku lacks the functionality of Amiibo, but wouldn't it have been better to just wait for the Amiibo?
Why not both ? There's also the possibility of them being DLC and if they made one it won't come out until later.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

I went to the Totaku website, and there are listings for Sonic and Ryu, both of whom have amiibo. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I do think Microsoft is less of a concern than most people think--but I also think the ball is in Nintendo's court rather than Sakurai's. Even if Sakurai wanted B&K in due to their potential popularity in the ballot, Nintendo could immediately veto it as advertising a rival's IP. I think the conflict is overstated, but not non-existent and it would still be a huge legal hurdle to get over. That being said, Sakurai said he had to twist some arms, and I think Nintendo would respect Sakurai's judgement if he felt like they were important to be in the game. And I had the same reaction as TheZoologist TheZoologist seeing Ditto--knowing he was scrapped from Melee, and B&K were considered but dropped from Melee--due to legal issues at the time that are less of an issue now? It seems so perfect.

And likewise it would be perfect to have the announcement on December 6th--which is why I feel like it's unlikely. Smash rarely does announcements with anniversaries/other announcements. And I feel like they would want to get every newcomer out of the way by that point because the closer to the date, the more likely a newcomer would be legitimately leaked. Also there's a selfish part of me that wants them confirmed ASAP so I can go through the rest of the speculation cycle without any anxiety.
I don't think Sakurai has any trouble getting Nintendo to dance when he says so. This is a man who literally killed the company's mascot for the reveal trailer of a character who is only truly popular in the West. He's said before Nintendo puts complete faith in him for Smash choices and he's honored by that. If he goes for Banjo, I can't see Nintendo giving him a hard no. It's not like they're adverse to working with Microsoft.

Honestly I think fans put too much stake in the "competitor" angle. Meanwhile, they've teamed up for ****ing crossplay in the past year.

*If* Sakurai went to talk to Phil Spencer about it, and put up the $$$, I think it's likely they made it.

No way their demand wasn't at least noticed by Sakurai, at least. The biggest ballot metrics we have have them at 3rd overall and *1st* for 3rd parties, which is enormous.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I actually think that Banjo and Kazooie have pretty good chances, about as good as Geno. If Vergeben is actually right about there being Minecraft content, then they are basically guaranteed to be in the game. Microsoft is not the kind of company that would contribute anything without contributing a character, and I doubt Sakurai would include any Microsoft character before Banjo, especially after the ballot.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I actually think that Banjo and Kazooie have pretty good chances, about as good as Geno. If Vergeben is actually right about there being Minecraft content, then they are basically guaranteed to be in the game. Microsoft is not the kind of company that would contribute anything without contributing a character, and I doubt Sakurai would include any Microsoft character before Banjo, especially after the ballot.
Even without the Vergeben leak its still a decent chance, a lot of people are dubious of Vergeben which is fine, but his Smash Ultimate info has been 100% correct so far, the only part of the second leak missing was Minecraft which hasn't been confirmed yet. A lot of people give him flak for leaking 'safe guesses' as information, but Minecrafts a pretty big call to make. If he's right then that speaks volumes about Microsofts involvement with Smash.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
And likewise it would be perfect to have the announcement on December 6th--which is why I feel like it's unlikely. Smash rarely does announcements with anniversaries/other announcements. And I feel like they would want to get every newcomer out of the way by that point because the closer to the date, the more likely a newcomer would be legitimately leaked. Also there's a selfish part of me that wants them confirmed ASAP so I can go through the rest of the speculation cycle without any anxiety.[/QUOTE]

This might be a stupid question,but Couldn't they technically release a day 1 patch that locks the game out until release day ? That way they can do a final character reveal without anyone leaking it ahead of launch day.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This might be a stupid question,but Couldn't they technically release a day 1 patch that locks the game out until release day ? That way they can do a final character reveal without anyone leaking it ahead of launch day.
Shulk was revealed very close to release, after the roster was already leaked.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Shulk was revealed very close to release, after the roster was already leaked.
Indeed, which is why I think they don't want a repeat of that, and it looks like that may also be the motivation of Sakurai saying every character would be revealed prior to launch. I think November is when things would get the leakiest, so we may know everyone before then.

EDIT:
These upcoming 3 long months are going to be brutal, I don't know how I'm going to make it.
Yeah, it's going to be brutal for me too. So much hype and anxiety mixed together--trying to keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment, but it's very difficult. At least we can be thankful that it's the shortest we've had to wait from announcement to release.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Indeed, which is why I think they don't want a repeat of that, and it looks like that may also be the motivation of Sakurai saying every character would be revealed prior to launch. I think November is when things would get the leakiest, so we may know everyone before then.
These upcoming 3 long months are going to be brutal, I don't know how I'm going to make it.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I've always thought of Super Smash Bros. since the original game as a video game hall of fame. If a character makes it in, its because they earned their place as a testament to their games and popularity. If Banjo & Kazooie make it in, they will be alongside the greatest video game characters of all time and they are going to fit right in alongside Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Simon Belmont! They deserve their place among the greats.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
To pass the time I'm currently playing through all of the Banjo games through emulation. I'm in the beginning of Tooie visiting Bottles' family. Also I get to bear witness to Kazooie's cold blooded savagery from each game.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I totally agree, I don't expect nor want a December 6th reveal for the character (though man, I do hope for one final surprise at the VGAs). Mostly because of risk of a leak at that point, and I definitely do not want Banjo-Kazooie leaked for this game, if they're in. We need that trailer, we need to see the moment where Nintendo and Rare come back together, as it's meant to be seen. And the closer to release, the bigger the chances of a legit leak.... So please, B-K sooner than later!!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I feel like even if it WAS leaked, the event would be so monumental that it wouldn't diminish the impact

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Banjo-Kazooie and Geno are the only contenders for strong final reveals for this game unless we get a massive left field character like Mickey or Master Chief.

People greatly overstimate Waddle Dee, Isaac and Elma in my opinion. I don't even think any of the 3 will be included as anything more than an Assist Trophy.

nawsm

Smash Rookie
I was just thinking about how Sakurai stated that the 800 songs so far in Smash are only taking up a third of the space as the 437 songs in Smash WiiU (thanks to compression technology).

Could we be greatly underestimating the number of fighters that can be stored in this game?

nawsm

Smash Rookie
Possibly. How many songs did Smash Wii U have?
437, when I looked it up. Here is the quote:

"You can listen to roughly 800 tracks across the various stages! That’s over 27 hours of music! Of course, we’ve built that tracklist on top of previous versions of the game, but it’s still a pretty incredible amount of music. We might even be able to earn a Guinness World Record.
And it isn’t just the music: Ultimate is jam-packed with all kinds of content. This is a little bit of trivia, but thanks to improvements in compression technology, we were able to fit all this music into the game without sacrificing audio quality in only a quarter of the space it took in Smash for Wii U. It’s like magic!"

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
People greatly overstimate Waddle Dee, Isaac and Elma in my opinion. I don't even think any of the 3 will be included as anything more than an Assist Trophy.
Don't sleep on Isaac, That man has had Ballot success to rival K. Rool and Banjo. But I'm tempted to agree on the other two. Elma's popularity didn't grow until after the Ballot, and I think Bandana Dee is lower on the popularity totem pole than the rest, unless his Japanese support is as large as people say.

I was just thinking about how Sakurai stated that the 800 songs so far in Smash are only taking up a third of the space as the 437 songs in Smash WiiU (thanks to compression technology).

Could we be greatly underestimating the number of fighters that can be stored in this game?
I don't think people are worried about file size when it comes to the fighter roster. It more comes down to development time and priority - this game had a relatively short development cycle compared to Brawl and Smash 4, and Sakurai kept our expectations in check from the beginning to not expect too many newcomers. And given there's only ~3.5 months to release, there's only so much time for more reveals.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
437, when I looked it up:
Thats an awful lot of music missing. I can't imagine all of it is for existing fighters. Even then, some fighters only get a mere handful of songs, only Castlevania & Street Fighter have been lucky enough to get 30 sum songs.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Don't sleep on Isaac, That man has had Ballot success to rival K. Rool and Banjo. But I'm tempted to agree on the other two. Elma's popularity didn't grow until after the Ballot, and I think Bandana Dee is lower on the popularity totem pole than the rest, unless his Japanese support is as large as people say.

I don't think people are worried about file size when it comes to the fighter roster. It more comes down to development time and priority - this game had a relatively short development cycle compared to Brawl and Smash 4, and Sakurai kept our expectations in check from the beginning to not expect too many newcomers. And given there's only ~3.5 months to release, there's only so much time for more reveals.
I agree I think Isaac is a lock. His support was on par with K. Rool in the ballot days.. I think he's being extremely underestimated by people due to his obscurity. I don't see Elma showing up.... and I feel like Bandana Dee while he is certainly popular is overestimated in his popularity. I just think there's characters who surpass him in the popularity department.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I agree I think Isaac is a lock. His support was on par with K. Rool in the ballot days.. I think he's being extremely underestimated by people due to his obscurity. I don't see Elma showing up.... and I feel like Bandana Dee while he is certainly popular is overestimated in his popularity. I just think there's characters who surpass him in the popularity department.
Issac and Golden Sun are not any series I’m familiar with or have any connection to, but mannn to have him in would mean so much to people and it would also solidify that Sakurai is absolutely filling this game with as many ballot contenders as possible. Plus, that picture of the Coliseum with Ratholos and the swordsmanship Sakurai put up on his Twitter is mighty suspicious haha

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Isaacs the biggest question mark of them all if you ask me. He's been missing since Brawl, and there's no indication of where the series is going anytime soon and the only even slightest hint is a tweet from Sakurai that vaguely resembles Golden Sun battle screens.

Other than fan demand, theres no evidence to support the chances of Isaac.

Top Bottom