• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I was playing Brawlout earlier, and the Yooka-Laylee update gives us a nice shoutout to the original duo

StormC

Smash Hero
The thing with Bandana Dee is he is by far the most popular character in Japan not already confirmed to be in the game, so it's a question of whether or not Sakurai will cater to the Japanese fans more than anything.

I'm not really a huge fan of people in this thread going "oh, those other characters are unlikely, but ours, ours will totally get in." It's very narrow minded. I'd personally put the last four ballot heavyweights - Banjo, Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee - in about the same tier of likelihood.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
The thing with Bandana Dee is he is by far the most popular character in Japan not already confirmed to be in the game, so it's a question of whether or not Sakurai will cater to the Japanese fans more than anything.

I'm not really a huge fan of people in this thread going "oh, those other characters are unlikely, but ours, ours will totally get in." It's very narrow minded. I'd personally put the last four ballot heavyweights - Banjo, Geno, Isaac, and Bandana Dee - in about the same tier of likelihood.
Pretty much. Despite that my cynicism tells me Banjo is the least likely of that bunch, even though I want him the most.

But hey, thats just me and my tempered expectations.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
We're only speaking in terms of likelihood based on popularity. If I'm being brutally honest, I think Banjo (even with massive popularity and ballot success) is far more likely as a DLC character than being on the base roster. I'd love to be wrong, though.

In truth, and Echoes aside, I personally think Banjo, Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, and Dee would be the best combination of fanservice newcomers and would please the most people.

StormC

Smash Hero
We're only speaking in terms of likelihood based on popularity. If I'm being brutally honest, I think Banjo (even with massive popularity and ballot success) is far more likely as a DLC character than being on the base roster. I'd love to be wrong, though.
I used to think that, but I'm not sure this is true. The only reason I could see this happening is if negotiations couldn't be done in time for the base game, but were later worked out after the roster was finalized. Otherwise I see no reason for Sakurai to hold off on adding Banjo. As far as we know, characters like Ryu and Cloud were not meant to be in the base game, and then later added as DLC, but decided on during the DLC production cycle.

Barring timing and negotiations, if Sakurai wants Banjo in, he can add him at his leisure.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I used to think that, but I'm not sure this is true. The only reason I could see this happening is if negotiations couldn't be done in time for the base game, but were later worked out after the roster was finalized. Otherwise I see no reason for Sakurai to hold off on adding Banjo. As far as we know, characters like Ryu and Cloud were not meant to be in the base game, and then later added as DLC, but decided on during the DLC production cycle.

Barring timing and negotiations, if Sakurai wants Banjo in, he can add him at his leisure.
Maybe it's just my inner cynicism, as ProjectDream ProjectDream put it. There's just too many little things - maybe Phil Spencer spoke freely because he didn't have an NDA, maybe there really are just 103 stages, it taking us this long to get K. Rool, us already having so many third-parties and others being easier to acquire, etc. I know all of those points have great counterpoints, and none of them are strong on their own. But it's the combination of them that keeps me from fully believing in them just yet.

But, Sakurai has not failed to surpass our expectations with each Direct, and the last one made our dreams of a certain fat crocodile into a reality. I hope, Banjo or otherwise, that the remaining reveals are ones we can all get excited for as release gets closer.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Yeah, maybe Bandana Dee a little above, but basically because of the ballot, they all have pretty even chances of getting in. Isaac is the one I'm least sure about because he has the least evidence from leakers and Sakurai's past statements, but if Banjo is in, then it would actually improve his chances (because the "103!" thing would be debunked).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yeah, maybe Bandana Dee a little above, but basically because of the ballot, they all have pretty even chances of getting in. Isaac is the one I'm least sure about because he has the least evidence from leakers and Sakurai's past statements, but if Banjo is in, then it would actually improve his chances (because the "103!" thing would be debunked).
I'd actually say that due to Isaac's popularity he is the most likely of the four, next would be BD since he and Isaac are first party, Geno would be third due to Square already being involved in Smash, and last is Banjo because, even knowing Microsoft is willing, we sadly don't have any idea whether Sakurai approached them or not.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not the most wise about NDA law, and if someone who knows it better could speak up, please do, but I don't think Phil saying "Yep" when asking if he still willing to let Banjo appear in Smash" breaks any NDAs. It doesn't address his current status in the game in any capacity, and is fairly vague. Phil also hasn't said anything *else* afaik since the announcement, despite likely being harangued by Banjo fans. I don't think it means anything one way or the other.

He was talkative before, I maintain it would've been even more suspicious to not comment at least once in a way that doesn't give anything away.

Last edited:

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I never really hear anyone talk about this especially when an argument against BK are that they really haven't been on a Nintendo console in a long time. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/958453618872483840
I know it's just a Minecraft skin but the fact that they have Banjo-Kazooie skins on a Nintendo console speaks volumes with the fact that Microsoft really is willing to work with Nintendo on the IP.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm not the most wise about NDA law, and if someone who knows it better could speak up, please do, but I don't think Phil saying "Yep" when asking if he still willing to let Banjo appear in Smash" breaks any NDAs. It doesn't address his current status in the game in any capacity, and is fairly vague. Phil also hasn't said anything *else* afaik since the announcement, despite likely being harangued by Banjo fans. I don't think it means anything one way or the other.

He was talkative before, I maintain it would've been even more suspicious to not comment at least once in a way that doesn't give away anything.

Yeah some like to bring that up, but he neither confirms or denies, he just says it's good idea.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
But didn't Phil Spencer technically spoke freely only in 2015. His tweet in 2015 during the Smash ballot explicitly stated that he was willing to let Banjo in Smash.

Differently in March of this year he only answered with "Yep" when someone asked him if he was still willing to let Banjo join Smash. He's only confirming that on his part he is still a yes to give permission for Banjo, but nothing else.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Wait what? When was this webpage posted? The hell? Why wasn't even this minor acknowledgement brought up?
I remember running into this about a 1-2 years ago, Someone brought this up on DK Vine (Donkey Kong/Rareware fan website) and many were puzzled and intrigued by it, I just barely remembered about it right now.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Banjo-Kazooie and Geno are the only contenders for strong final reveals for this game unless we get a massive left field character like Mickey or Master Chief.

People greatly overstimate Waddle Dee, Isaac and Elma in my opinion. I don't even think any of the 3 will be included as anything more than an Assist Trophy.
If banjo’s in, isaac’s in. Isaac is more popular and a Nintendo character

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd already brought up the fact that the Banjo games were still up on Nintendo's UK site a while back.

A memory from a past life, it's melancholic to see.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Geno is obscure as all hell, Isaac never really made it big and Bandana Dee is a generic. Under normal circumstances, they'd all be increadibly unlikely but, in this new age where fan demand is everything, it seems like anyone goes. At least, for a certain specific definition of anyone.

That makes it really hard to know who is and isn't likely among the now top candidates when not one of them feels like they belong.

Banjo is certainly the big name of the bunch but does that even matter anymore?

StormC

Smash Hero
At this point I just want the September Direct to get announced already for N64 Classic news more than anything.

Dream scenario: they show off the N64 classic and its games...no Rare titles in sight. Lead in to Banjo Smash trailer, then right after the trailer, confirm multiple Rare titles for the classic as well. It’s perfect cross promotion.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Err, maybe among Smash fans, but no way in heck is Banjo less popular than Isaac. If both Banjo and Isaac are on the back cover, many would just think Isaac is a Fire Emblem character or something. (And I think Isaac is awesome and should be in)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Err, maybe among Smash fans, but no way in heck is Banjo less popular than Isaac. If both Banjo and Isaac are on the back cover, many would just think Isaac is a Fire Emblem character or something. (And I think Isaac is awesome and should be in)
Well, it's a good thing that Smash fans are the ones who voted in the ballot then.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Seems like splitting hairs to argue if Banjo or Isaac was more popular on the ballot, Isaac is more popular on some polls, Banjo is more popular on others. As a K. Rool fan, I can’t even rule out the possibility that Banjo got more votes in North America than him due to greater visibility outside of the Smash fanbase.

Both should have done well enough to get noticed. It just comes down to Sakurai’s choice.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'd already brought up the fact that the Banjo games were still up on Nintendo's UK site a while back.

A memory from a past life, it's melancholic to see.
My mistake, Theirs so many conclusions to jump to, Does this mean that they had something in the works for VC during the Wii U era?, N64 Classic possibly?, even though this was well before any news of that, Does Nintendo UK still only mention them because Rare was also based in the UK too? Does Nintendo still own some sort of publishing rights to the original games? So many questions.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Unnfortuantly those UK sites are not on the webarchive so we can't see how far back they date.

But you guys know the original 90s sites for the N64 games are on Nintendo's Japanese site along with all their other games right? I don't think them appearing on Nintendo sites is that big a deal, though the UK sites are way more modern than the Japanese ones.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Both of those characters are irrelevant to the general public. Banjos prime was in the 90s and half of the people that play smash weren’t even born yet. This game is about the smash fans anyway. King K Rool is irrelevant and basically unknown at this point to the general public so I think that argument isn’t really solid.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Why are all the Isaac supporters coming in here? :happysheep:
I've seen a lot of Isaac fans who also heavily support Banjo & Kazooie.

I'm one of them, they're my top two most wanted.

I can't speak for others but Golden Sun and Banjo Kazooie were two major games from my childhood.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Don't sleep on Isaac, That man has had Ballot success to rival K. Rool and Banjo. But I'm tempted to agree on the other two. Elma's popularity didn't grow until after the Ballot, and I think Bandana Dee is lower on the popularity totem pole than the rest, unless his Japanese support is as large as people say.
Isaac's fans have liked to put him on the same kind of pedestal as K. Rool but he's nowhere near and never was. Maybe more like Krystal. He's yet another boring RPG sword user, and Sakurai recently talked about how there are too many of them in a recent interview with the guardian. One from a dead IP (not just a character revival from a major IP like K. Rool), and his assist was removed due to irrelevance. If he gets in I'd be very, very surprised. His support has only 'grown' since the well on Nintendo characters has run completely dry, unlike Ridley and K. Rool who have been major requests since the Melee/Brawl days.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm not saying Banjo's in but it's a massive false equivalence. Banjo is an icon of his era. Literally nobody even knows who Isaac is and Golden Sun was a massive flop.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Isaac's fans have liked to put him on the same kind of pedestal as K. Rool but he's nowhere near and never was. Maybe more like Krystal. He's yet another boring RPG sword user, and Sakurai recently talked about how there are too many of them in a recent interview with the guardian. One from a dead IP (not just a character revival from a major IP like K. Rool), and his assist was removed due to irrelevance. If he gets in I'd be very, very surprised. His support has only 'grown' since the well on Nintendo characters has run completely dry, unlike Ridley and K. Rool who have been major requests since the Melee/Brawl days.
That's false mate. We know he's not as big as K Rool but he's been constantly demanded since Brawl. He's not a flash in the pan nor is he requested because there is no one else. And the only people would quantify him as another "boring sword user" are the people trying to justify to themselves he won't make it. You can write off his popularity if you wish but you're straight ignoring facts if you do.

StormC

Smash Hero
Take it from someone who saw a lot of **** go down in the K. Rool thread, it’s bad form to just write off other popular characters like what’s being done right now.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's false mate. We know he's not as big as K Rool but he's been constantly demanded since Brawl. He's not a flash in the pan nor is he requested because there is no one else. And the only people would quantify him as another "boring sword user" are the people trying to justify to themselves he won't make it. You can write off his popularity if you wish but you're straight ignoring facts if you do.
Ain't gonna derail the BK thread about Isaac anymore, but I'll just say Golden Sun wasn't even popular enough to sell. Isaac's so irrelevant his assist trophy was removed, even over long dead characters like Barbara and Devil. Banjo's still popular enough that an unrelated spiritual successor broke kickstarter records (at least at the time).

I'm not even writing off his popularity, he's one of the more popular Nintendo characters left. But it's simply because there's no one else now. His popularity during the Brawl and Smash For days was nowhere near the level of K. Rool or Ridley. It'd be disingenuous to say anything else.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not saying Banjo's in but it's a massive false equivalence. Banjo is an icon of his era. Literally nobody even knows who Isaac is and Golden Sun was a massive flop.
Both of the GBA Golden Sun games sold over a million copies. “Flop?” Really? Now you’re just being contrarion.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Flop? Ew now you’re sounding like stan twitter

Top Bottom