• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Yeah, sticking to a certain style for an entire development studio just doesn't make sense to me, especially if they're making games that are all wildly different genres or have different settings. I mean, what if Nintendo did that? What if all their games used Wind Waker's style, even Metroid? It's day one stuff in any medium: the aesthetics need to match the content, or deliberately contrast them. Not use one unified style for everything.

I think the new Rare is being incredibly stupid about this. Or just too lazy to have their artists change up their style.
As much as I do enjoy Sea of Thieves I'm not a fan of the current Rare at all..... I get their all a bunch of young devs and they want to make things their own but I have this feeling they don't appreciate where the company came from... I mean seriously.. MS gave Killer Instinct to someone else to develop... I don't know if that was on Rare or MS but geez.. they're a real shell of what they once were... but every time the old IPs are brought up to them I feel like they just glaze over them.

It could also be me being super bias because I feel like one of my childhood icons was done so dirty... Banjo deserve's better than what he's getting atm. I really hope he gets into Smash because it would redeem Rare a little in my eyes by allowing Banjo to shine again..

Either way I feel like Rare is trying to copy what they once did.. remember old Rare was all about the googly eyes with a lot of their designs, new Rare is trying to be cohesive but it isn't as appealing

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
As much as I do enjoy Sea of Thieves I'm not a fan of the current Rare at all..... I get their all a bunch of young devs and they want to make things their own but I have this feeling they don't appreciate where the company came from... I mean seriously.. MS gave Killer Instinct to someone else to develop... I don't know if that was on Rare or MS but geez.. they're a real shell of what they once were... but every time the old IPs are brought up to them I feel like they just glaze over them.

It could also be me being super bias because I feel like one of my childhood icons was done so dirty... Banjo deserve's better than what he's getting atm. I really hope he gets into Smash because it would redeem Rare a little in my eyes by allowing Banjo to shine again..

Either way I feel like Rare is trying to copy what they once did.. remember old Rare was all about the googly eyes with a lot of their designs, new Rare is trying to be cohesive but it isn't as appealing
Yeah, it really is quite sad how this Rare just ignores its past, especially one so storied. I mean, can't they see how much embracing and updating the past has done for Nintendo? I get wanting to move on to new ideas, but if you simply dismiss your old ones, it makes people think you never had a passion for them in the first place. And with the Stamper bros. bailing along with a lot of the staff, and most old Rare staffers generally being apathetic to their own creations, this seems especially true.

As a creator myself, I can't understand that mentality. I've been working with some of my ideas for 10+ years, and I'd still work with them for another 10 and then some. But then again, Rare has always had that sort of self-mocking, flippant attitude permeate their work. I'm not sure they ever cared, really. And that's fine for them, but it's clear these games clearly mean much more to the fans.

As for the googly eyes, yeah, that was pretty consistent. But they still knew when to turn it off for games it didn't fit in. Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark come to mind.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's just sad how they were pretty much were untouchable making hit after hit in the 90's and aren't even mention any more with other top developers unless you mention their legacy.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Recently, I've come to see the Lord of Games from Nuts & Bolts in a new, interesting light:

there’s an old 4chan thread where allegedly a Rare employee went off and detailed how a bunch of cold, uncaring suits shut down Banjo-Threeie with blatant disinterest, and flat out ignored a whole demo presentation the team had prepared and basically said “Yeah, platformers are dead and it won’t sell. Make something else”

Which brings me back to Lord of Games here. In the context of Nuts & Bolt’s story, he’s a character who is portrayed as an all-powerful and stuffy know-it-all who swoops in out of nowhere and interrupts the action, viciously mocks platformers and collectathons and calls them out of date, and FORCES Banjo and Grunty into a vehicle game shtick while claiming that he knows better than they do.

The plot is literally:
“We want to do things the old way”
“No, screw you, you’re doing things my way because I say so

Which is exactly how the pitch meeting went.

Now that whole thread could potentially be a lie, but even if it is… I’m still 100% convinced Lord of Games was Rare’s small, petty shot at revenge for the powers that be that said ‘turn Banjo-Kazooie into a car-building game

Not to mention, the character’s name is always abbreviated to LOG… and we know what else a LOG could be referring to…

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
That theory might be a stretch but it is pretty clear Microsoft cancelled several of their games because of disinterest. Which makes me question why they even bought them out to begin with. Possibly just so their competition (Nintendo) would suffer?

And while we’re on the subject. Has anyone here actually beaten Nuts & Bolts? I sometimes pop it in just for the novelty of playing a next gen (well not anymore but you know what I mean lol) Banjo game but i’ve never got farther than an hour or so in. After 10 years and putting our initial disappointment aside, Is it actually a good game worth going back to?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That theory might be a stretch but it is pretty clear Microsoft cancelled several of their games because of disinterest. Which makes me question why they even bought them out to begin with. Possibly just so their competition (Nintendo) would suffer?

And while we’re on the subject. Has anyone here actually beaten Nuts & Bolts? I sometimes pop it in just for the novelty of playing a next gen (well not anymore but you know what I mean lol) Banjo game but i’ve never got farther than an hour or so in. After 10 years and putting our initial disappointment aside, Is it actually a good game worth going back to?
Back when I had my Xbox One, I still kind of wanted to play it just to give it a try on Rare Replay, but played through the originals instead, if the opportunity comes up again maybe I will give it a shot, But until an actual 3rd game or a reboot happen, I will keep playing my copies of both games on the N64.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

There was that rumor that Microsoft thought it would get Donkey Kong in the buyout. Maybe when execs found out they didn't get one of Nintendo's biggest series that's when they became disinterested?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Recently, I've come to see the Lord of Games from Nuts & Bolts in a new, interesting light:

there’s an old 4chan thread where allegedly a Rare employee went off and detailed how a bunch of cold, uncaring suits shut down Banjo-Threeie with blatant disinterest, and flat out ignored a whole demo presentation the team had prepared and basically said “Yeah, platformers are dead and it won’t sell. Make something else”

Which brings me back to Lord of Games here. In the context of Nuts & Bolt’s story, he’s a character who is portrayed as an all-powerful and stuffy know-it-all who swoops in out of nowhere and interrupts the action, viciously mocks platformers and collectathons and calls them out of date, and FORCES Banjo and Grunty into a vehicle game shtick while claiming that he knows better than they do.

The plot is literally:
“We want to do things the old way”
“No, screw you, you’re doing things my way because I say so

Which is exactly how the pitch meeting went.

Now that whole thread could potentially be a lie, but even if it is… I’m still 100% convinced Lord of Games was Rare’s small, petty shot at revenge for the powers that be that said ‘turn Banjo-Kazooie into a car-building game

Not to mention, the character’s name is always abbreviated to LOG… and we know what else a LOG could be referring to…
That 4chan story was the most disappointing, infuriating thing I have ever read. I was practically drooling over the concepts he mentioned. That game honestly would have made me buy an Xbox. No joke. Terrible, terrible move, Microsoft. You could have gotten at least some Nintendo fans won to your cause.

If this really is all true (which it sounds like,) I am beyond furious with MS.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

I've beaten it

In my personal opinion, the vehicle building and overall structure of the game I think COULD have actually succeeded and be well-received! The problem is that it had Banjo-Kazooie slapped onto it haphazardly, people came for Banjo, and this WASN'T Banjo. If it were it's own new IP, I think it could have done well and probably have become a staple of the Rare/Microsoft brand!

As for the game being worth playing... if you were already disinterested I can't see you enjoying the game much further... and it ends on kind of an insulting sequel hook:

Kazooie: Hey, can I have my old moves back for the next game
LOG: Yeah, whatever, take them back. You're not getting another game anyways

Grunty: I'm LOG's slave now, but now I'm in charge of his game making factory! I'll make my OWN game! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Of course I'm paraphrasing there, but you get the idea

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I can maybe see some executives who don't know crap about video games believe they acquired the Donkey Kong franchise, But that would be pretty careless without knowing that Nintendo created DK and has owned it for more than a decade before Rare revived it, They would be pretty stupid to think Nintendo would give up a big name series that easily. I'm sure the main reason Microsoft acquired Rare was that they needed a strong foundation and some established franchises when entering the video game industry, Blocking Nintendo from Rare's catalog was a bonus.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
It's unfortunate but I can sort of see that 3D platformers not named Mario weren't selling well, at least not as much as in the N64 days. It's a dumb decision in hindsight but might have made sense at the time.

In terms of design, if Banjo and Kazooie make it in I think we can expect a Ridley or K. Rool treatment. An overall new design, taking inspiration of the best parts of older and newer designs while bringing something new to the table. As long as Banjo doesn't have the square nose I am fine with anything.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think it's also the case that Microsoft bought Rare for its infrastructure and not its IP, though I don't know enough about the history to say anything definitively. It just seems as an outside observer that Microsoft either knew or eventually found out that their target demographic was not interested in platforming games, which is much more suitable for Nintendo. So they tried revamping old IP into something new (e.g., Nuts and Bolts), but it wasn't enough to catch on and they abandoned the IP for the most part. But now that they're trying to win people back next generation after limping this generation, Battletoads may hint at possibly broadening their demographic. My hope is that Banjo, and perhaps some type of partnership with Nintendo, would be part of that strategy, though it's kind of a pipe dream.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey you Beary Supportive fans! I thought I'd take the time out of the Isaac thread to give my best wishes of luck to the last character on my wishlists's group!

I was given Banjo Kazooie as a gift back in the N64 years and fell in love with them and last year replaced that copy with a sparkly better condition.

There is something special about the Rare games!

Regarding his chances, I think he has a shot. Had Microsoft not shown their positive reception to the idea I think the cards would not be in your favor.

But look at this way. Sakurai got SQUARE ENIX to lend him Cloud.

If he can get Cloud into Smash Bros, I can not see why with enough convincing to Nintendo he could not do the same for Banjo Kazooie seeing as the fanbase is strong and huge for him.

I really hope one day Banjo and Kazooie enter the fray so that they can be cemented as a part of Nintendo's very proud history.

Keep supporting the fight my chums. One day Banjo and Kazooie will make it! Good luck!

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Y'know I don't even use this forum but I gotta type is out somewhere. I never cared about which characters got into smash Brawl or 4 when I was younger. I'm normally surrounded by video game and cartoon fans, and I never on my life experienced an attachment to fictional characters like what I've seen out of other people and society in general. I didn't even play Banjo-Kazooie until 2015 and I wasn't even in love with it at the time. But the past few days I really can't get over in my head how much I want Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. The fact now that literally any popular character has a chance is absolutely killing me. Before they had no chance so I didn't care, but now with all these other juggernaut 3rd parties out of the way... I either want them confirmed or deconfirmed. Sad truth is I expect them to be DLC if they exist so a 3 month wait isn't enough mercy for me, I might have to wait for like 10 months of DLC before I can lay these thoughts to rest. I don't have a Switch and have no plans of getting one, but I will buy a Switch and Smash Ultimate just for Banjo-Kazooie, and if they are DLC I'll buy all the DLC too even though I didn't buy any for Sm4sh.

I keep searching Japanese google looking at their lists, just trying to convince myself they are popular enough worldwide to outdo all these other passionate character communities that they are practically tied with in popularity. The fact Yooka-Laylee came out over there a few weeks ago and had a large Banjo for Smash campaign advertised in early 2015 when the smash ballot was still going on, the fact Nintendo obviously have eyeballed the possibility dabbling in Rare titles like DK64 and Starfox Adventures. All the weird little things like Minecraft, Phil Spencer, and all these weird Banjo trinkets of merchandise coming out of Rare this year. These might or might not even be deliberate teases but it's killing me so hard. I wanna see this tortured for a decade with a sparkler powder keg known as the Banjo fanbase just explode in excitement.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
These might or might not even be deliberate teases but it's killing me so hard. I wanna see this tortured for a decade with a sparkler powder keg known as the Banjo fanbase just explode in excitement.
Agreed. I just want closure at this point, either confirm it or deconfirm it. I need this to end quickly!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Same here, I'm literally looking up Smash news each day myself, just to see the landscape of potential newcomers, looking at polls and demand everywhere to get an idea where Banjo-Kazooie rank and if they can barely squeeze in and make a roster spot.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Same here, I'm literally looking up Smash news each day myself, just to see the landscape of potential newcomers, looking at polls and demand everywhere to get an idea where Banjo-Kazooie rank and if they can barely squeeze in and make a roster spot.
I've seen too many polls with them being one of the 2 or 3 top third party requests and sometimes even the top 3 in overall requests to believe they weren't a stand-out in demand. I truly believe the only thing that could stand in their way is the powers that be at either Microsoft or Nintendo.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I HATE the Nuts & Bolts look its ugly ! why change a timeless look for that ugly look ? made banjo look like a psychopath with those creazy eyes & teeth.

like imagine Mario had no main game for 8 years ! skiped an entire gen of graphics & end up looking like that in a game that plays nothing like his old games or what was promised at the end of his last game, it would not go over well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That 4chan story was the most disappointing, infuriating thing I have ever read. I was practically drooling over the concepts he mentioned. That game honestly would have made me buy an Xbox. No joke. Terrible, terrible move, Microsoft. You could have gotten at least some Nintendo fans won to your cause.

If this really is all true (which it sounds like,) I am beyond furious with MS.
Rare has always used self-deprecation in their humor (which is a British trait). But with N&B, you could clearly tell that Rare wasn't enjoying their situation, to the point where Mumbo joked about the game itself sinking at retail. Doesn't help that the Yooka-Laylee devs wanted to recapture the B-K magic, but didn't have the manpower or resources to pull it off well.

Now, the Microsoft playerbase audience is more interested about older-audience games than kiddy ones. Always has, always will.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Based from what I have seen it looks like they have to be Top 3 or 5 overall and Top 3rd Party Character too, I just hope they did well enough in the Smash ballot because that's where their obviously getting their ideas for fan demand newcomers.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
The whole Microsoft situation was always infuriating to me. It makes no sense in hindsight why they bought all of Rareware's IP when they ended up not doing jack **** with it and now Banjo & Kazooie, two of the most iconic characters from Nintendo 64, have to suffer. When I had gotten an Xbox 360 to play some of the Arkham games and they revealed that Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie would be rereleased on there, I admit, I got excited! To play them on a newer system was at least SOMETHING and I wanted to relive the glory days again. Sadly, the rereleases were plagued with modern problems like having to be online to play the games and being forced to not use cheats in Banjo-Tooie, my preferred style of play in the N64 version, because of the pointless achievement system, really sullied the whole experience for me. I know playing with cheats is frowned upon but when its a part of the game that the developers actually programmed in as a way for players to play the way they want and Microsoft's like no you can't do that, we'll turn off your ability to save, that's really annoying. I truly hope Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash and it leads to Nintendo & Microsoft working up a deal to crossplay their series for future installments. Why not have the Banjo-Kazooie series be on both Xbox One and the Switch? That way both parties profit and everyone wins!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Rare has always used self-deprecation in their humor (which is a British trait). But with N&B, you could clearly tell that Rare wasn't enjoying their situation, to the point where Mumbo joked about the game itself sinking at retail. Doesn't help that the Yooka-Laylee devs wanted to recapture the B-K magic, but didn't have the manpower or resources to pull it off well.
Caring about past creations years later is one thing. Caring about creations that you've been forced to distort against your own judgement is another. I wouldn't be surprised if even the remaining old Rare staff within current Rare had no love left for their classics, now that they're associated so completely with Microsoft's meddling.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I don’t even hate Microsoft. I actually think they’ve did a complete 180 (no pun intended) on the Xbox One. In a lot of ways they’re more consumer friendly than Sony is currently. They give away better games with Gold, adding backwards compatibility, allowing crossplay, etc.

I’m usually one to defend them but man did they completely kill Rare. There’s just no defending what they did to them

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
The way Microsoft is at least making an effort to turn over their IPs that are exclusive to them and be more consumer friendly is quite admirable, the Don Mattrick years for Microsoft were the most baffling and embarrassing decisions yet and that time period was when Rare was just dissolving. Under different leadership things could've been alot different.

At least they're trying to do SOMETHING with old Rare properties, and if they got Banjo-Kazooie into Smash, thats alot more than just something. It's huge.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Thing is, Microsoft is slowly failing in almost every department.. they're struggling to make exclusives and the ones they are making are not being well received... Sony and Nintendo are constantly outselling them.. they really need to do something to help turn things around. I think that's why theyre embracing cross play so much. They need to be the good guy if they want to get out of this Gen alive... I'm hoping that they'll start to rethink their strategy becuse Halo, SoT, and Forza ain't cutting it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thing is, Microsoft is slowly failing in almost every department.. they're struggling to make exclusives and the ones they are making are not being well received... Sony and Nintendo are constantly outselling them.. they really need to do something to help turn things around. I think that's why theyre embracing cross play so much. They need to be the good guy if they want to get out of this Gen alive... I'm hoping that they'll start to rethink their strategy becuse Halo, SoT, and Forza ain't cutting it.
Not to mention Cuphead, which everyone would rather want to play on the Switch or PS4.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Still sucks that they're stuck in limbo with other classic Rare IP's. At least Battletoads is coming back. Nintendo may have a lot of negative traits, but heck, their handling of IP's is phenomenal. If Zelda had been property of Microsoft or Sony, they would have most likely already moved on with it long ago.

Not to mention Cuphead, which everyone would rather want to play on the Switch or PS4.
Pretty much... I'm not sure how much the Xbox fanbase cares about BK or Conker to put an example, It's not like they're clamouring for Banjo-Threeie or Conker's Other Bad Fur Day with the passion of say, Operation Rainfall. Obviously, that kind of cartoony games are a massive hit with Nintendo.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don’t even hate Microsoft. I actually think they’ve did a complete 180 (no pun intended) on the Xbox One. In a lot of ways they’re more consumer friendly than Sony is currently. They give away better games with Gold, adding backwards compatibility, allowing crossplay, etc.

I’m usually one to defend them but man did they completely kill Rare. There’s just no defending what they did to them
I don't hate them either, I am Primarily a Nintendo gamer ,but I have had a Xbox One and PlayStation 4 before I sold them, I know a lot of people give hate towards Microsoft for how they utilize Rare, but I think Nintendo deserves some blame too, after all towards the end of the N64 era and right before the Gamecube was going to launch (2000-2001) Rare was looking to be bought out since game development cost was rising and they first approached Nintendo for a buyout ,but declined to buy their remaining shares and it came down to Microsoft and Activision, but Microsoft won at the end.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Hey, BK fans! Just thought I'd drop in here to show my support! My loyalties have primarily resonated with WarioWare's Ashley, but now that we (sadly) know her fate, I have more time to show my support for other characters.

I am an individual who harbors a great prejudice towards third-party characters in Smash, with very few exceptions. Banjo-Kazooie? They are one of those exceptions. Much like Geno, Banjo-Kazooie is basically a Nintendo character that happens to be owned by a different company. To see them make it into Smash would be like gaming's greatest "welcome home" party.

It also helps that I have nostalgia for the series. I have fond memories of watching my older brother play Banjo-Tooie as a child. So, if you would, please add me to the support list!

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Man I seriously miss Banjo & Kazooie. Both games were my absolute favorites on the system, even beating out Mario 64, and I'm a huge Mario fan! They're in my Top 3 along with Isaac and Geno, so definitely add me to the list of supporters!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Obviously, Arby plugs things on Twitter all the time to fool, er I mean, attract the youth and fanboys into eating their food.
Well let them, because their food is ****ing delicious.

And it's also something I can actually get behind. McDonalds used a clown to market food to kids, then became one of the lead causes of childhood obesity. At least Arby's is marketing to 90's kids who already know the food makes them fat.

Also has anyone addressed that Alucard being in Smash as an AT boosts BK's chances further, as we now have two characters appearing in Smash who are exclusive to a competitor's console (Cloud being the other)? And Sony and Nintendo are not on terms that are as friendly as those of Nintendo and Microsoft.

Microsoft and Nintendo don't really see each other as competitors anymore, because it's clear that their consoles don't directly market to the same audience. In fact, many people who own a Nintendo console also own an Xbox and vice versa because they offer different things and have different appeal. I should know because I'm one of them. Sony has tried to grab a slice of both pies, making games to compete with both systems, which makes Sony more of a mutual enemy.

And yet two Sony-exclusive characters are in Smash now. Something to think about.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
This is a pipe dream, but I'm hoping if Banjo and Kazooie make it, that we get Virtual console releases of Banjo and Kazooie and Tooie.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I always wanted a Banjo-Kazooie & tooie 3DS remake as I think they would look good in 3D much like ZOOT3D & ZMM3D. I don't always play games in 3D but those 2 N64 look so good in 3D (wish we got more N64 3D remakes) & are so easy on the eyes I always play them in 3D.

If M$ was smart & we gat banjo in smash then they should remake the banjo games on 3DS as it has a HUGE audience to market to & banjo pilot & gruntys revenge could be VC releases on the 3DS eshop getting banjo more exposure with a huge playerbase, banjo on a N64 classic mini would be good too but the 3DS would be best even more so then putting the old banjo games on switch, think about it a banjo kazooie themed 2DS or 3DS bundle ? mincraft got one heck maybe remake diddy kong racing again for 3DS ?

IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE ! why do these copanys not like money ? these suits in ties at these copanys need to learn how to do gamming properly lol

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Speaking of pipe dreams... something that would be amazing is if Microsoft decided to develop a Banjo game be it new or an HD remake as a sort of duel exclusive... sort of like what theyre doing with Minecraft. Have it be on Xbox and Switch, it would probably sell better on the Switch but either way they'd make money... I think it would actually be a smart move on their part. They could even find a way to utilize the cross play they and Nintendo have had. I mean clearly they aren't using Banjo... Rare isn't interested in making Banjo. Hand it off to another dev and share it with Nintendo. Does Nintendo deserve to have a shared IP? No. They wouldn't do the same with MS but then again Nintendo aren't the ones in the red right now. I just think it would be smart of MS to market Banjo to a demographic that actually wants him. When you'd pop the game into your Switch you'd still be seeing Microsoft Studios on the title screen so everyone knows who's getting the credit.. it's absolutely a pipe dream though and would never happen.. our only chance to see Banjo on a Nintendo console again is in Smash..

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I always wanted a Banjo-Kazooie & tooie 3DS remake as I think they would look good in 3D much like ZOOT3D & ZMM3D. I don't always play games in 3D but those 2 N64 look so good in 3D (wish we got more N64 3D remakes) & are so easy on the eyes I always play them in 3D.

If M$ was smart & we gat banjo in smash then they should remake the banjo games on 3DS as it has a HUGE audience to market to & banjo pilot & gruntys revenge could be VC releases on the 3DS eshop getting banjo more exposure with a huge playerbase, banjo on a N64 classic mini would be good too but the 3DS would be best even more so then putting the old banjo games on switch, think about it a banjo kazooie themed 2DS or 3DS bundle ? mincraft got one heck maybe remake diddy kong racing again for 3DS ?

IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE ! why do these copanys not like money ? these suits in ties at these copanys need to learn how to do gamming properly lol
Unfortunately, the heads of companies have huge egos. Even if Microsoft were to get a split of the profits for no work, they wouldn't do it as Nintendo would get all the credit.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of pipe dreams... something that would be amazing is if Microsoft decided to develop a Banjo game be it new or an HD remake as a sort of duel exclusive... sort of like what theyre doing with Minecraft. Have it be on Xbox and Switch, it would probably sell better on the Switch but either way they'd make money... I think it would actually be a smart move on their part. They could even find a way to utilize the cross play they and Nintendo have had. I mean clearly they aren't using Banjo... Rare isn't interested in making Banjo. Hand it off to another dev and share it with Nintendo. Does Nintendo deserve to have a shared IP? No. They wouldn't do the same with MS but then again Nintendo aren't the ones in the red right now. I just think it would be smart of MS to market Banjo to a demographic that actually wants him. When you'd pop the game into your Switch you'd still be seeing Microsoft Studios on the title screen so everyone knows who's getting the credit.. it's absolutely a pipe dream though and would never happen.. our only chance to see Banjo on a Nintendo console again is in Smash..
Pretty much everyone would agree that they would of loved if Nintendo kept Rare or bought them back, sure they were losing talent ,but that IP catalog that they have is valuable,the next best thing would be if they signed a partnership with Microsoft to allow Rare titles on Switch where they would thrive a lot more than Xbox's demographic who probably don't even know or care what Rare is. Unlikely to happen ,but a man can dream.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I already expressed I don't think Banjo will make it into the base game. Just the idea they would do a full cinematic trailer for them when so many other characters are fightimg for contention just seems impossible. So i actually am anticipating DLC moreso
Fact is they had to make Smash 4 DLC for the Wii-U which was dying pretty hard in 2016 so I'm sure they cut DLC short to focus on Ultimate instead. With Ultimate, do you guys think they would have a DLC span lasting the same length or longer than Smash 4 (7 characters, with 3 veterns and 4 new characters)?

Knowing all Smash Ultimate DLC will be new characters is extremly exciting. And Switch is a hot console, they dont have to settle for just 7 newcomers. If this is to be the Ultimate Smash, they could spend the next 2-3 years addimg characters like a traditional fighting game dlc format, increasing fan favorites like Banjo drastically and giving Sakurai time to deal with legal and licensing issues without worrying about deadlines. I think DLC character royalties would also be cheaper than royalties of characters in the base roster? Since DLC characters inevitably sell less units than the base roster. I wish i fully understood that aspect

Unfortunately his criteria worries me. Of course Sakurai changes his mind often but he has said he wants every character to have something unique about them.

K Rool has unique properties on his Blunderbuss, obviously Inkling has Ink, Simom/Rictor have long range whips and projectiles, even Ridley has a down B that stuns and does a million damage. Maybe I'm not creative but Banjo & Kazooie seem more like they just have normal solid moves but nothing really sticking out, which i wouldn't mind but i wonder if to Sakurai that dampens his view of them. That and he says he tries not to add characters from dead series, though that was 2008 and at this point a lot of series in Smash are only popping up every once in a while and are sometimes considered dead.

Banjo has fan popularity on his side though, and a couple words from Phil Spencer. I hope at this point thats all thats needed for the Smash team to want to add a character. So far none of the character picks have been nonpopular characters, they really want to satisfy with the "everyone is here" philosophy, and make the impossible possible. God dreams will be made and shattered in the next 3 months in the most dangerous quantities we'll ever see

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I already expressed I don't think Banjo will make it into the base game. Just the idea they would do a full cinematic trailer for them when so many other characters are fightimg for contention just seems impossible. So i actually am anticipating DLC moreso
Fact is they had to make Smash 4 DLC for the Wii-U which was dying pretty hard in 2016 so I'm sure they cut DLC short to focus on Ultimate instead. With Ultimate, do you guys think they would have a DLC span lasting the same length or longer than Smash 4 (7 characters, with 3 veterns and 4 new characters)?

Knowing all Smash Ultimate DLC will be new characters is extremly exciting. And Switch is a hot console, they dont have to settle for just 7 newcomers. If this is to be the Ultimate Smash, they could spend the next 2-3 years addimg characters like a traditional fighting game dlc format, increasing fan favorites like Banjo drastically and giving Sakurai time to deal with legal and licensing issues without worrying about deadlines. I think DLC character royalties would also be cheaper than royalties of characters in the base roster? Since DLC characters inevitably sell less units than the base roster. I wish i fully understood that aspect
It's going to be longer, mark my words. It didn't even last a year from release of first wave to final wave, but with a bigger install base, fanservice up the wazoo, and a more stable future, there's no reason to believe it would be short-lived. In fact, I would expect it to last a minimum of two years.

Unfortunately his criteria worries me. Of course Sakurai changes his mind often but he has said he wants every character to have something unique about them.

K Rool has unique properties on his Blunderbuss, obviously Inkling has Ink, Simom/Rictor have long range whips and projectiles, even Ridley has a down B that stuns and does a million damage. Maybe I'm not creative but Banjo & Kazooie seem more like they just have normal solid moves but nothing really sticking out, which i wouldn't mind but i wonder if to Sakurai that dampens his view of them. That and he says he tries not to add characters from dead series, though that was 2008 and at this point a lot of series in Smash are only popping up every once in a while and are sometimes considered dead.

Banjo has fan popularity on his side though, and a couple words from Phil Spencer. I hope at this point thats all thats needed for the Smash team to want to add a character. So far none of the character picks have been nonpopular characters, they really want to satisfy with the "everyone is here" philosophy, and make the impossible possible. God dreams will be made and shattered in the next 3 months in the most dangerous quantities we'll ever see
Think of them as a Duck Hunt-type character who focuses more on melee attacks. Knowing how involved Banjo can be and how involved Kazooie can be, Sakurai can make the seamless transitions between them in attacks feel interesting, unique, and more mechanically involved than Duck Hunt. With how echoes are getting pretty notable treatment, I don't think Sakurai is as big a stickler for unique gimmicks, anyways; just that he probably wants the character to mostly have a Smash-ready moveset without requiring too many creative liberties. It's been stated many times here that B&K's kit is pretty much built for Smash.

Top Bottom