• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It does appear Smash Ultimate is steering towards what the fans want, which is a good and a bad thing. So far, it has been good and i do hope for more characters like this. Banjo and Kazooie was great on the N64. They would be a welcomed addition to the roster.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The insane part is its like less than 4 months left! How much more do they have to show! 1-2? 6-7!? You can dedicate two whole directs to Smash with the amount left unseen, one dedicated to single player alone.
They still have to talk about that new mode they have been teasing and online modes other than newcomers too.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
They still have to talk about that new mode they have been teasing and online modes other than newcomers too.
I can see the September Direct (General Nintendo Direct) that shows an "update" from sakurai that will first reveal a new comer with a cutscene. After a short talk about him, we are then shown an echo or two with some in game video/shots, etc. Lastly, at the end of the Direct, a video with another new comer finishes the direct ... like what happened with K Rool. (Glorious to watch.)

This is just a general prediction for this upcoming Direct. I personally think there will be a final Smash Direct, however long, probably in November to talk about the "hidden" game mode and maybe an echo or two with the final new comer at the ver end.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It does appear Smash Ultimate is steering towards what the fans want, which is a good and a bad thing. So far, it has been good and i do hope for more characters like this. Banjo and Kazooie was great on the N64. They would be a welcomed addition to the roster.
I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I get the impression that organized fanbases may have had the edge when it comes to the ballot. So it's possible there won't be any "silent majority" ballot winners that come from nowhere.

Lastly, at the end of the Direct, a video with another new comer finishes the direct ... like what happened with K Rool. (Glorious to watch.)
I'm afraid if Isaac or Banjo & Kazooie get revealed in a trailer I'm going to scream and people will think I'm actually being murdered because I'm usually very quiet.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If we get a direct in September or October that's where I'm expecting the N64 classic and a Banjo announcement. Skull kid would also makes sense as well since Majoras Mask would more than likely accompany the system as well.

In don't think Banjo is going to be held onto until before release. Sakurai absolutely announce's these characters when he wants too. A lot of us on the K. Rool board saw him as a huge enough announcement to show last before release clearly we were wrong. We have Ridley and K. Rool already and I don't think Sakurai would have any qualms with announcing Banjo next. I think he sees any character reveal as huge news. I just feel that an autumn direct is the place to see Banjo probably revealed at the very end of the direct similar to K. Rool. I firmly sit by my predictions for the last few characters in Ultimate.

Unique

Banjo
Isaac
Geno
Skull Kid
Incineroar

Echoes

Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Black Knight
Impa

I'll admit that some of my choices are swayed from leaks mostly incineroar and Skull Kid. Because if it wasnt for them I'd easily say Waddle Dee over Incineroar.. and Skull Kid wouldn't even have been on my list at all. Also my echoes list only goes as far as characters I can think of. I'm sure there could be/will be more.. but my count with what I believe will show up in the game wed have a total of 9 unique fighters which is small compared to the past games in the series. Waddle Dee could still be there which would give us 10 unique fighter's but I'm discounting him only because i personally feel there's bigger fan service characters ( I have nothing against him though and hope he gets in for his fans)

I know Dixie and Isabelle are controversial because the fan bases don't believe they deserve Echo status and they're right, every character has the right to be unique but I don't think Sakurai is seeing it that way. He said don't expect many newcomers but I'm sure he's trying to give us as many newcomers as possible working in the time frame he was given.. so that's why I think there's such a large echo push and if he thinks he can get away with am echo he does it.

I just don't see Banjo not getting in... especially with straight confirmation that he used the ballot. Banjo was the top 3rd party choice going into the ballot. He had a lot of attention and Sakurai saw that. Post ballot MS and Nintendo have been oddly buddy buddy. I'm seeing some odd arguments against Banjo now, stuff like why would Nintendo want to market a character they don't own and can't use *cough* Cloud *cough* and the whole argument of MS not wanting to bring Banjo back makes no sense either because even if they don't want too Phil Spencer said he'd want to see Banjo in.. which is completely independent of MS wanting to bring Banjo back or not.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I kind of can't see an N64 Classic Edition announcement this fall ,but maybe released until next year, I don't think Nintendo will oversaturate their classic line with all 3 consoles on the market, I think they all need breathing room, when I saw them bring back the NES classic early summer, I kind of saw saw them not releasing the N64 this year, But I hope to be wrong because it's the perfect time to announce along with Rareware games and hopefully Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion into Ultimate for their 20th Anniversary.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I see Shadow as an echo before Impa and Black Knight at this rate.

I'm not putting a lot of stock in Skull Kid thanks to loz being... not too reliable. Incineroar/Banjo/Isaac/Geno seems plausible though.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Presumably they'll be spending some time going over the Vault menu and other similar features. (they may not be as big a deal as "Spirits" but they'll likely still have time focused on them.) Along with any "Home Run/Break the Target" sort of game modes.

There's still plenty of game modes/features they can show us, even ignoring the Spirits mode.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I see Shadow as an echo before Impa and Black Knight at this rate.

I'm not putting a lot of stock in Skull Kid thanks to loz being... not too reliable. Incineroar/Banjo/Isaac/Geno seems plausible though.
I forgot about Shadow, yea I think he's happening forgot to list him. I don't know beyond LoZ there is a decent amount of evidence in SKs favor. The moon as an AT and him not showing up is a big one. There is some compelling arguments to SK, plus he was a big request in Brawl alongside Simon, Geno, and Megaman. Which as it's looking are all going to end up in Ultimate.

Ike doesnt have an echo since Chrom is Roys and Black Knight got a Mii outfit and I mean so far a lot of Mii Outfits have shown up in Smash Ultimate Inkling, K. Rool, Isabelle is rumored and looking legit, Black Knight can be an Ike echo it's even justified in his lore.

Impa just seems like an obvious Shiek echo... plus she is popular and with characters from the Zelda series taking on looks from across the series history they can get away with her using her Skyward Sword appearance which is arguably her most popular.

I feel like Sakurai is going to give out echoes like candy, if a character can be even slightly justified as an echo we will probably see it... it's going to be his way of making the Smash Ultimate Roster record breaking. They're already in the hundreds with stages and songs, i won't be the least bit surprised that they pIle on the echoes in an attempt to possibly hit 100 character's with DLC.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I wouldn't mind plenty of Echoes, even if all of them do not have many changes like Chrom. There are many characters who can fill the role of an Echo fighter ... plus they take only a 1/4 of the time to create in comparison of a whole new character.

Plus it would be much easier to balance with the already large roster.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...did Vergeben ever talk about that nonplayable Minecraft content recently? If he does, it might have some hints towards Banjo and Kazooie's inclusion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I forgot about Shadow, yea I think he's happening forgot to list him. I don't know beyond LoZ there is a decent amount of evidence in SKs favor. The moon as an AT and him not showing up is a big one. There is some compelling arguments to SK, plus he was a big request in Brawl alongside Simon, Geno, and Megaman. Which as it's looking are all going to end up in Ultimate.

Ike doesnt have an echo since Chrom is Roys and Black Knight got a Mii outfit and I mean so far a lot of Mii Outfits have shown up in Smash Ultimate Inkling, K. Rool, Isabelle is rumored and looking legit, Black Knight can be an Ike echo it's even justified in his lore.

Impa just seems like an obvious Shiek echo... plus she is popular and with characters from the Zelda series taking on looks from across the series history they can get away with her using her Skyward Sword appearance which is arguably her most popular.

I feel like Sakurai is going to give out echoes like candy, if a character can be even slightly justified as an echo we will probably see it... it's going to be his way of making the Smash Ultimate Roster record breaking. They're already in the hundreds with stages and songs, i won't be the least bit surprised that they pIle on the echoes in an attempt to possibly hit 100 character's with DLC.
Reminder on black knight

Black knight said he shares techniques with him and if you look at the swords they almost identical
(Forgot the source though it was a dialogue in one of the fire emblem games)

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I've gotta say that I'm glad that the support for Banjo and Kazooie picked up. I remember when I felt like a minority when I truly wanted this character in the game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I've gotta say that I'm glad that the support for Banjo and Kazooie picked up. I remember when I felt like a minority when I truly wanted this character in the game.
A big reason had to be that everyone thought they would be an impossible choice since they are after all part of a "Rivals: 1st Party Stable, But as we have seen with all the things pointing into their favor for their inclusion and I also noticed after King K.Rool's arrival, that it lit a fire under this community to really campaign for them.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It's a damn good feeling. I've wanted them in since the very first Smash Bros. Not Melee. 64! I loved them in their original games and after they got sold to Microsoft I was devastated. So I'm hoping things change for them this year!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl and 4, Banjo's biggest hurdle in my opinion was there were more well-known and prominent third parties that took priority. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.

But now that we have eight third-party series already, that hurdle is no longer there. Microsoft's people are willing (though Phil commenting at all is potentially concerning because of NDAs), Sakurai has confirmed newcomers are chosen from the Ballot, Verg's rumors of Minecraft content might be a good sign as long as it's not a character, and B-K is one of the few characters left that could reach Ridley and K. Rool tiers of hype and amazement. We'll have to wait and see, but I remain hopeful for the bear and bird, even if we have to wait until DLC.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In Brawl and 4, Banjo's biggest hurdle in my opinion was there were more well-known and prominent third parties that took priority. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.

But now that we have eight third-party series already, that hurdle is no longer there. Microsoft's people are willing (though Phil commenting at all is potentially concerning because of NDAs), Sakurai has confirmed newcomers are chosen from the Ballot, Verg's rumors of Minecraft content might be a good sign as long as it's not a character, and B-K is one of the few characters left that could reach Ridley and K. Rool tiers of hype and amazement. We'll have to wait and see, but I remain hopeful for the bear and bird, even if we have to wait until DLC.
I think Phil's comments are OK. The NDA would likely concern revealing any and all details about the character in the game, but his comments about Banjo last time were earth-shattering, so if he didn't respond to them in March following a new Smash reveal, it might honestly give more away than him giving a non-committal positive comment like "Yep".

Caution is good, of course, but I'm in the camp of "his comments don't mean anything one way or another for Banjo's chances".

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If we get a direct in September or October that's where I'm expecting the N64 classic and a Banjo announcement. Skull kid would also makes sense as well since Majoras Mask would more than likely accompany the system as well.

In don't think Banjo is going to be held onto until before release. Sakurai absolutely announce's these characters when he wants too. A lot of us on the K. Rool board saw him as a huge enough announcement to show last before release clearly we were wrong. We have Ridley and K. Rool already and I don't think Sakurai would have any qualms with announcing Banjo next. I think he sees any character reveal as huge news. I just feel that an autumn direct is the place to see Banjo probably revealed at the very end of the direct similar to K. Rool. I firmly sit by my predictions for the last few characters in Ultimate.

Unique

Banjo
Isaac
Geno
Skull Kid
Incineroar

Echoes

Ken
Isabelle
Dixie
Black Knight
Impa

I'll admit that some of my choices are swayed from leaks mostly incineroar and Skull Kid. Because if it wasnt for them I'd easily say Waddle Dee over Incineroar.. and Skull Kid wouldn't even have been on my list at all. Also my echoes list only goes as far as characters I can think of. I'm sure there could be/will be more.. but my count with what I believe will show up in the game wed have a total of 9 unique fighters which is small compared to the past games in the series. Waddle Dee could still be there which would give us 10 unique fighter's but I'm discounting him only because i personally feel there's bigger fan service characters ( I have nothing against him though and hope he gets in for his fans)

I know Dixie and Isabelle are controversial because the fan bases don't believe they deserve Echo status and they're right, every character has the right to be unique but I don't think Sakurai is seeing it that way. He said don't expect many newcomers but I'm sure he's trying to give us as many newcomers as possible working in the time frame he was given.. so that's why I think there's such a large echo push and if he thinks he can get away with am echo he does it.

I just don't see Banjo not getting in... especially with straight confirmation that he used the ballot. Banjo was the top 3rd party choice going into the ballot. He had a lot of attention and Sakurai saw that. Post ballot MS and Nintendo have been oddly buddy buddy. I'm seeing some odd arguments against Banjo now, stuff like why would Nintendo want to market a character they don't own and can't use *cough* Cloud *cough* and the whole argument of MS not wanting to bring Banjo back makes no sense either because even if they don't want too Phil Spencer said he'd want to see Banjo in.. which is completely independent of MS wanting to bring Banjo back or not.
I kind of can't see an N64 Classic Edition announcement this fall ,but maybe released until next year, I don't think Nintendo will oversaturate their classic line with all 3 consoles on the market, I think they all need breathing room, when I saw them bring back the NES classic early summer, I kind of saw saw them not releasing the N64 this year, But I hope to be wrong because it's the perfect time to announce along with Rareware games and hopefully Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion into Ultimate for their 20th Anniversary.

I'm more skeptical than hopeful for a Banjo/N64 Classic tie in, despite really wanting it. I feel like the legal hurdles of negotiating for both Banjo in Smash and Rare titles on an N64 classic might be too much--at the same time, perhaps that would be the prime means of convincing Nintendo to allow Banjo on their platform, as I feel like Microsoft would be more willing for the Smash crossover than Nintendo, whereas Nintendo could be convinced that an N64 Classic with Rare titles will sell more (as someone with an N64, I know it's the only reason I would get one). I also think that it's rare for a Smash character announcement to tie in with an announcement/anniversary, though it has happened in small ways. Nothing comes immediately to mind, though.

I do feel, however, that if they do a N64 classic, now would actually be better than later. Their classic line on Switch will only start with NES titles, which means those who want NES titles can get them on the Switch, while those who want N64 titles would get the N64 classic--one wouldn't canabalize the other, in fact, both in tandem may make more business sense. Usually a classic console has been announced right after E3, so it is curious if it's happening that they would wait this long to announce it.

EDIT:

The other reason I want Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros Ultimate is that I also want to see the possibility of 2 Gaming giants of the Big 3 (Nintendo,Microsoft,Sony) crossover game franchises, Sure 3rd party characters are pretty common inclusions now, but I imagine it would be an industry's first to see a 1st Party Character to appear in another rivals console let alone interacting with opposing 1st Party characters and it makes it even more interesting because Banjo-Kazooie is no stranger to Nintendo.
I agree completely. I love the thought of getting Banjo & Kazooie in the base game, Crash in DLC. We'd then have Nintendo characters, Sega's mascot, Sony's former mascot, and Microsoft IP all in one game. And that's in addition to Mega Man, Pac Man, Snake and Cloud, and it's crazy this is all a possibility.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

The other reason I want Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros Ultimate is that I also want to see the possibility of 2 Gaming giants of the Big 3 (Nintendo,Microsoft,Sony) crossover game franchises, Sure 3rd party characters are pretty common inclusions now, but I imagine it would be an industry's first to see a 1st Party Character to appear in another rivals console let alone interacting with opposing 1st Party characters and it makes it even more interesting because Banjo-Kazooie is no stranger to Nintendo.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Man, That buyout really cost us some great games, We also lost Donkey Kong Racing, A potential DK 64 sequel on the Gamecube and Conker's Other Bad Fur Day too.
The worst thing about Conker is that Microsoft said they weren’t interested in a sequel, but they allowed Rare to do a complete remake of it instead? I don’t see the logic there

So they didn’t want Rare spending time and resources on a Conker sequel but they were fine with them spending time and resources on Live & Reloaded? It’s such a shame because Live & Reloaded looks absolutely amazing. it’s just that BFD really didn’t need a remake, especially not one just 4 years later. A true sequel with Live & Reloaded’s graphics would’ve been a dream come true

D

Deleted member

By the way what do you guys think of the duo’s redesign in Nuts & Bolts?
I'll be straight up and say it. I don't like it. Kazooie isn't terrible but Banjo just looks so blocky. Gross.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The worst thing about Conker is that Microsoft said they weren’t interested in a sequel, but they allowed Rare to do a complete remake of it instead? I don’t see the logic there

So they didn’t want Rare spending time and resources on a Conker sequel but they were fine with them spending time and resources on Live & Reloaded? It’s such a shame because Live & Reloaded looks absolutely amazing. it’s just that BFD really didn’t need a remake, especially not one just 4 years later. A true sequel with Live & Reloaded’s graphics would’ve been a dream come true
The Conker franchise is in a weird and unfortunate spot, Though it's a cult favorite, it was released at the end of the N64's life span so it sold poorly and it's remake also at the end of the Xbox's life span, At the same time it can't be marketed towards kids because of it's too mature ,but at the same time it doesn't appeal to the Xbox audience as much because the way it looks, You can tell they tried to reach toward the Halo and shooter audience with Live & Reloaded ,but it still failed, Banjo-Kazooie still has a future, but I don't know if can say the same for Conker.

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
I'm not a fan of it at all. If I had to pick a design, I would pick their look from the box art and promotional material from when BK and BT were released (just like in my avatar).

Otherwise the Smash render alot of people use on this site works for me.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The N64 model and renders are superior in every way, I think most agree Kazooie doesn't look that Bad, But Banjo's retangular snout and nose annoy me.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm more skeptical than hopeful for a Banjo/N64 Classic tie in, despite really wanting it. I feel like the legal hurdles of negotiating for both Banjo in Smash and Rare titles on an N64 classic might be too much--at the same time, perhaps that would be the prime means of convincing Nintendo to allow Banjo on their platform, as I feel like Microsoft would be more willing for the Smash crossover than Nintendo, whereas Nintendo could be convinced that an N64 Classic with Rare titles will sell more (as someone with an N64, I know it's the only reason I would get one). I also think that it's rare for a Smash character announcement to tie in with an announcement/anniversary, though it has happened in small ways. Nothing comes immediately to mind, though.

I do feel, however, that if they do a N64 classic, now would actually be better than later. Their classic line on Switch will only start with NES titles, which means those who want NES titles can get them on the Switch, while those who want N64 titles would get the N64 classic--one wouldn't canabalize the other, in fact, both in tandem may make more business sense. Usually a classic console has been announced right after E3, so it is curious if it's happening that they would wait this long to announce it.

EDIT:

I agree completely. I love the thought of getting Banjo & Kazooie in the base game, Crash in DLC. We'd then have Nintendo characters, Sega's mascot, Sony's former mascot, and Microsoft IP all in one game. And that's in addition to Mega Man, Pac Man, Snake and Cloud, and it's crazy this is all a possibility.
True, your absolutely right that is a lot ... thing is though the N64 classic thing may not be as complicated as we think.. now I'm not familiar with copyright or publishing rights or any of that stuff... but I think Nintendo has some sort of legal rights to the old Banjo games... I know I had heard that when MS wanted to put Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie on the market place they had to literally purchase the rights to those games from Nintendo.. and of course had to remove any Nintendo references from them to legally put them on the market place. I think Nintendo still has some sort of legal right to the unaltered original games... if anyone is familiar with copyright laws or something close I'd love to know the detail's of how it works.. either way I think it's easier for Nintendo to get the games for the N64 classic than it was for MS to publish them on the market place.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The N64 model and renders are superior in every way, I think most agree Kazooie doesn't look that Bad, But Banjo's retangular snout and nose annoy me.
Plus, I really don't like how the tuft of fur on Banjo's head is so defined there. It's so lengthy and blocky that it looks like Banjo's having a bad hair day. The artwork of the N64 games made it more subtle.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I would be alright with some touches from Nuts n’ Bolts in Banjo & Kazooie’s designs in Smash, mainly their fur and feathers and the little stitches and such in Banjo’s pants and backpack, but everything else should be based on the classic N64 incarnations, which I have no doubt Sakurai would strive to maintain as he did with Simon Belmont, Pac-Man, and Mega Man.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Im not a fan of the angular design of the Nutz n Boltz Banjo & Kazooie... I get that Rare was going in a new direction with their art design but I think it's awful. I like it in Sea of Thieves and Viva Pinata but it just doesn't suit Banjo.. they should have kept him the same... I'm hoping that IF the day comes they make HD remakes of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie that they don't adopt that look.....

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Im not a fan of the angular design of the Nutz n Boltz Banjo & Kazooie... I get that Rare was going in a new direction with their art design but I think it's awful. I like it in Sea of Thieves and Viva Pinata but it just doesn't suit Banjo.. they should have kept him the same... I'm hoping that IF the day comes they make HD remakes of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie that they don't adopt that look.....
Yeah, sticking to a certain style for an entire development studio just doesn't make sense to me, especially if they're making games that are all wildly different genres or have different settings. I mean, what if Nintendo did that? What if all their games used Wind Waker's style, even Metroid? It's day one stuff in any medium: the aesthetics need to match the content, or deliberately contrast them. Not use one unified style for everything.

I think the new Rare is being incredibly stupid about this. Or just too lazy to have their artists change up their style.

Top Bottom