• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

D

Deleted member

Okay so i had this idea for Banjo's Final Smash. It's dumb but hear me out. Instead of the Jinjonator, it's:

After Banjo goes right into his enemies upon activating his Final Smash (ala K.Rool, Yoshi and others) a cutscene starts up. A light highlighs the character waking up (using the normal get up animation), and they react in shock as they see Conker with a Chainsaw, ready to attack. A reference to the Conker's Bad Fur Day logo intro:

Obviously we can't show the likes of Mario and Bayo beign decapitated in half. Instead when Conker attacks the opponents with his chansaw, a cloud of smoke appears (similar to the Prince Sable Assist Trophy when he comes to contact with an opponent) and we only hear the Chainsaw, cutting sound effects and maybe some grunts to represent the characters beign attacked.

I should also mention that the player will not see the aftermath of the Final Smash unlike in the two videos shown. As soon as it ends (meaning the FS will just cut abruptly), the opponent will start flying high after recieving the attack, but if the oppontent as 100% or higher, it will be automatically KO'ed.

I imagined this Final Smash because Rareware used to love to put cameos and crossovers of their characters in their games (Conker and Banjo beign playable in DKR, Banjo making a cameo in Conker's Bad Fur Day, Berri's original design appering in a Level of Banjo Kazooie, the KI logo appearing in a racetrack of DKR, etc)
Also, remember how Joker has a Unique Victory Pose if he ends the Match with a Final Smash? Banjo would have one too. If the Match is ended with a FS and after the character is KO'ed as usual, Banjo and Conker appear in the Victory Screen, where Conker pulls the 1990's Rare Logo out of his Pocket, and both Banjo and Conker pose with it like in BFD, right down to Conker saying "Marvelous" and Winking.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
GOD ! I would love if they actually incorperate Joker into Banjo's reveil & play it off that he stole banjo & kazooie's invite LOL I maen banjo & kazooie are known for 4th wall humor PLUS joker had to of stolen SOMEONE's invite right ? would make even more sense since the VGA's was the release of ultimate & BK's anniversary in japan the perfect time for banjo !
Well, Joker was specifically stated in his reveal trailer to be invited. So this doesn’t work with the narrative we have in Smash lore.

Also, why would the Japanese anniversary of the game be the perfect time to show off an American character at an American Game Awards show?

BZocky

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who thinks Joker could’ve been based on Bayonetta instead of sword fighter as the crashes a few patches ago suggested? Perhaps Erdrick is the sword and Banjo is the Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would that make “brave is erdrick” unlikely?
Just about. I mean, on the back of my mind I've been thinking that the codenames are just that, codenames.

Also, why would the Japanese anniversary of the game be the perfect time to show off an American character at an American Game Awards show?
Because the fandom always thinks an anniversary of some sort should be tied to a character reveal, even though it's coincidental at best. :ultlittlemac:

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Am I the only one who thinks Joker could’ve been based on Bayonetta instead of sword fighter as the crashes a few patches ago suggested? Perhaps Erdrick is the sword and Banjo is the Duck Hunt.
I think Joker was based off of Sheik's skeleton, not Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Violante

Smash Apprentice
The evidence I consider the most generous for Banjo right now is the Lootcrate tweet/promotion being ominously pulled, and Phil Spencer's comments on the matter over the last four years coupled with Microsoft's current relationship with Nintendo. All the other theorizing/leaks are comforting for sure, but I don't know how dependable they really are. In light of Joker's final standings the whole 'Duck Hunt glitching means Banjo was built from him' doesn't really hold up for me anymore.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Interesting read. I consider the E3 meeting with Phil Spencer to be the biggest beacon of hope.

Some very minor things that might also help Banjo are Ditto and Sukapon, because it shows Sakurai's desire to revisit old ideas. Ditto was once planned for Melee and Sukapon for Brawl (as an Assist). While they didn't make it at first, they got a second chance in Ultimate. This may bode well for Banjo, because he was considered for Melee, although I don't know to what extent.
Don't look too deep into it though, because not all considerations make it to a later Smash. Remember the Forbidden Seven?

SKX31

Smash Master
There's a non-zero chance that Brave's Lara Croft.

Seriously. That would be another Net-shattering reveal, especially since your Average Joe / Jane has heard of the character thanks to Angelina Jolie.

Am I the only one who thinks Joker could’ve been based on Bayonetta instead of sword fighter as the crashes a few patches ago suggested? Perhaps Erdrick is the sword and Banjo is the Duck Hunt, would make sense since either have yet to be announced.
I'm not so sure myself. Beyond the eye-test, :ultbayonetta: and :ultjoker: play rather differently. Bayo relies on significant combos and a pressure game to keep the momentum up with far reaching Smashes to back her up and surprise opponents. Joker meanwhile is a heavy mixup character: Eiha and the Gun tacks on damage from far away and forces approaches, with the ground and aerial attacks work as set up and kill options - with Joker's combos more limited than Bayo's. Especially with Arsene active. Joker's Dash Attack, for example, beats backward rolls since it's two kicks.

The problem with "Banjo = :ultduckhunt:" is that Duck Hunt not only has multiple different projectiles (Can, Discus, Gunman), but also that Duck Hunt's general playstyle focuses on hemming in opponents with those projectiles while also forcing tricky approach options up close. Approach options Duck Hunt can punish with a grab or tilt / Smash. While it sounds like B-K fits the latter, Kazooie's attacks are much more commital (Beak Barge, Buster / Drill even Rat-a-tat Rap). And not only since she has to come out of / get back into Banjo's backpack for those attacks, but also since they're longer than the Duck's attacks presumably.

Banjo, in my eyes, would probably work much more like :ultsimon:. But with significant differences:

1. Banjo probably doesn't have multiple different projectiles as said. It's going to be really difficult to implement the five different egg types when they're meant for only one move. Compare :ultshulk: whos Menu (Monado Arts) affect everything about him in some form. Rather, to save on dev time if Banjo gets in, I think Sakurai will stick to normal eggs with a rapid fire option and :ultfalco:'s hitstun.

2. While Kazooie's likely going to attack for a lot of the moves, she's likely to work much differently than the Vampire Killer. For one, she comes out from Banjo's backpack, while the VK comes from the side (hip) in Belmont's cases. That alone changes the attacks (thus, start up / end lag) significantly. Kazooie doesn't have the exact freedom of movement the VK has (since you can spin the VK and some of its attacks has decidely unorthodox movements. Looking at you U-tilt) Also, Sakurai needs to decide how Kazooie's going to function. If she's also a hurtbox (able to be hit) then it makes the Talon Trot impossible by proxy (beyond the Trot not allowing a lot of follow up options in game). If she is treated as a weapon by the game there's the question of which attacks she'll be able to clank / beat out etc. Kazooie beating out :ultganondorf:'s sword or :ultbowser:'s dropkick is going to be OP as heck (unless, perhaps, the Beak Barge, which is well telegraphed anyway ala :ultryu:'s Focus Attack). Either way, B-K trades off the Belmonts' anti-air capabilities for better pressure.

3. B-K are going to have some different properties too. The Feathery Flap alone means B-K will have aerial mobility the Belmonts don't have. While B-K's aerials are likely to be rather powerful too, a lot of them rely on Kazooie coming out (Rat-a-tat Rap, Beak Buster / Drill and even eggs if they can be fired from the air) and so will be rather laggy too. However, this would give B-K pretty good short hop pressure, if a bit limited in range in most cases. B-K gets the positive of easy reposition and shield pressure, but is likely combo food too because of their weight.

TL, DR:

I don't think Banjo will play like Duck Hunt, more like the Belmonts. But with big differences: namely a variant of Falco's laser in the eggs, and that B-K's attacks are likely to be more powerful than most but at the risk of whiffing / being punished. Also, their playstyle is likely to be based around more close ranged mind games, with pretty good recovery and excellent shield pressure but having subpar anti-air from the ground and being likely combo food.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Interesting read. I consider the E3 meeting with Phil Spencer to be the biggest beacon of hope.

Some very minor things that might also help Banjo are Ditto and Sukapon, because it shows Sakurai's desire to revisit old ideas. Ditto was once planned for Melee and Sukapon for Brawl (as an Assist). While they didn't make it at first, they got a second chance in Ultimate. This may bode well for Banjo, because he was considered for Melee, although I don't know to what extent.
Don't look too deep into it though, because not all considerations make it to a later Smash. Remember the Forbidden Seven?
At least the main difference is that Banjo was never found as stray data.

In any case, it could be a happy coincidence that E3 will have Nintendo and Microsoft show up without Sony.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The only thing is, Heihachi's VA died after his Incineroar role for Smash, so I don't think they'd feel ready to use him yet, out of respect for mr. Ishizuka.
^^^ This

That might seem really extreme to westerners, but it's kind of a standard practice to hold off on a character for awhile if their VA dies in Japan. Case in point; the Japanese voice actor for Phil from Hercules died, and out of respect for him, Phil is kept completely mute in his appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3

If you played KH3 and wondered why Phil was weirdly quiet, that's why

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Kind of the opposite. It shows the codenames do have a connection to the characters. Right now of the three characters people talk the most about being brave you have Erdrick, Banjo, and Sora and only Erdrick has a real connection to brave. Doesn't mean it will be him but he is the one helped the most by the knowledge.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The ape with the AK-47 was Banjo cousin , he's mad at everyone who trashtalked Banjo.

More seriously , this is an extremely good summary of the current situation. While I try my best to lower my expectations... There is smoke. And where there is smoke , there is fire. What caused the fire ? That's the question...
This is going to be a long wait lol Please Rare Replay be on Switch , please please please

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Do we know who Joker's base model is? I've seen some people say it's Cloud, but they didn't post a source.
I never believed the Mii Swordfighter/Duck Hunt theory, but it's still interesting to know.

D

Deleted member

^^^ This

That might seem really extreme to westerners, but it's kind of a standard practice to hold off on a character for awhile if their VA dies in Japan. Case in point; the Japanese voice actor for Phil from Hercules died, and out of respect for him, Phil is kept completely mute in his appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3

If you played KH3 and wondered why Phil was weirdly quiet, that's why
It's also the most likely reason as to why we don't have any new Codecs, since Colonel's Seiyuu died in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Off topic question here.

If the fighters pass would include bosses for 5 characters wouldn’t joker have one? (Holy grail)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Off topic question here.

If the fighters pass would include bosses for 5 characters wouldn’t joker have one? (Holy grail)
Yeah. The fact that there isn't any would be another factor in killing the Ender Dragon boss rumor. Besides, I like the idea of Joker fighting Master Hand at the end of Classic Mode too much.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
If there’s no unique boss for Banjo, I still think would make perfect sense for him to fight both Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

D

Deleted member

If there’s no unique boss for Banjo, I still think would make perfect sense for him to fight both Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
Personally i would like to see him fight a Giant Bayonetta as a stand-in for Gruntilda.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hopefully Grunty would still be a stage boss.
Oh hell no, we do not need more Stage Bosses in Smash with how poorly they’ve been implemented in the past. Plus the Hazardless toggle cripples a stage like Willy Castle into a Final Destination form as opposed to removing the Yellow Devil. If you could toggle more specific elements or there was some sort of inbetween I’d be willing to let something like that happen.

But nah, a background character or some completely NPC function that can’t touch you and you can’t touch would be far preferable.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Grunty would be better off taunting you during the match like she does when you run around her liar. She can comment on fighters and such.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. The fact that there isn't any would be another factor in killing the Ender Dragon boss rumor. Besides, I like the idea of Joker fighting Master Hand at the end of Classic Mode too much.
It could also mean Minecraft was a red hearing this whole time. It’s been a year since he mentioned it

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/RobbyB3ll4s/status/1119302190600990720

Apparently, Joker used Cloud as a base, not Mii Swordfighter. Meaning Mii Swordfighter was being used for a separate character. The speculation is now Mii Swordfighter is being used for Erdrick. Duck Hunt being used for Banjo-Kazooie is still a go as well.
Tweet seems to be gone. And that isn't surprising really. Joker plays very similarly to Cloud and their body frames are kinda similar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Apparently, Joker used Cloud as a base, not Mii Swordfighter. Meaning Mii Swordfighter was being used for a separate character. The speculation is now Mii Swordfighter being used for Erdrick while Duck Hunt is being used for Banjo-Kazooie.
Tweet seems to be gone. And that isn't surprising really. Joker plays very similarly to Cloud and their body frames are kinda similar.
Seeing as Joker's inclusion was the equivalent of Cloud's in regard to Nintendo exposure both of them had at the time, this is incredibly fitting.

Anyone else noticed that Grant Kirkhope suddenly doesn’t seem to respond to anything Banjo in Smash related anymore?
Hasn't that been going on for a while already?

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

Apparently, Joker used Cloud as a base, not Mii Swordfighter. Meaning Mii Swordfighter was being used for a separate character. The speculation is now Mii Swordfighter being used for Erdrick while Duck Hunt is being used for Banjo-Kazooie.
Damn. The tweet just got deleted as I posted.

https://twitter.com/RobbyB3ll4s/status/1119357461868285957

It turned out to be false info. Damn.

Robby's right. Joker uses Cloud as a base.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Robby's right. Joker uses Cloud as a base.
Since Cloud hasn't really changed since 4, and used Ike as a base for that game, I suspect you could swap out Cloud for Ike in that pic and end up with something similar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:
Just did a look through his likes and he liked this so that's not true:
https://twitter.com/MrJC_15/status/1119136276718821376

That said I stand firm believing that Grant would have 0 knowledge and 0 involvement in Smash.
Well, to be fair, didn’t Shulk’s voice actor like a tweet regarding Shulk in Smash before he was revealed?
The only reason I think he could possibly know something is if they recently contacted him to do the music for Banjo in Smash. He did recently make that “everything is awesome” tweet where he seemed overjoyed about something

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Joker has the same body as most of the anime-type fighters so there was no shortage of models to base him from. If we get Edrick and he uses Swordfighter's model then we can still base Banjo's model off Duck-Hunt's. Personally I think Chrono would be better and use the same base in Swordfighter.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Looking at the costumes we got from this pack I feel that the majority of them will be from Rare. Considering Chief was deconfirmed I dont think Chief will get Costumed due to Frank's tweet.

Bruh, I would love a Jet force Gemini Mii Gunner costume, Male plays as Juno, Female plays as Vela.

A Mumbo Jumbo Mii SwordFighter or a Mr. Pants Mii Brawler too lmao

Top Bottom