• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I still don't understand why people think that it's an all or nothing situation when it comes to which character that DLC fighters are based off of. To me, it seems like Banjo's model could be based on Duck Hunt's, but only the fully standing model. It doesn't necessarily have to use every special to have a base, so I don't see the argument to be honest.

Sure, Joker had a pretty heavy basis from Cloud. But I still feel like people are looking at it in extremes.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyone else noticed that Grant Kirkhope suddenly doesn’t seem to respond to anything Banjo in Smash related anymore?
I'm not surprised, People keep bringing up about how their quiet about it and it could possibly mean that they don't want to break any NDA's, But at the same time I would imagine him, Rare and Playtonic Games are probably sick of being asked the same questions for over and over again about Banjo-Kazooie, Remasters or Super Smash Bros.

I know I would after a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not surprised, People keep bringing up about how their quiet about it and it could possibly mean that they don't want to break any NDA's, But at the same time I would imagine him, Rare and Playtonic Games are probably sick of being asked the same questions for over and over again about Banjo-Kazooie, Remasters or Super Smash Bros.

I know I would after a while.
At least they don't go Full Kamiya.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The downside is, Heihachi's VA died shortly after doing Incineroar, so I honestly don't think they'd feel ready to find a successor just yet.

Plus from what I understand, Tekken's gameplay style is difficult to adapt for Smash, according to Sakurai himself, so we probably won't see Heihachi any time soon.

In regards to third parties, a big name being next is not necessarily a given. I mean, :ultsonic: was succeeded by :ultbayonetta: and :ultjoker:, for Pete's sake.

Speaking of codenames, I wonder if "Jane" wasn't simply just a way to hide the variant for Joker's school uniform.
To be fair, it’s not like Sega has any other franchises that even come close to how popular Sonic is.

I feel Namco is in the same boat with only PAC-Man & Tekken being highly iconic. People bring up other Namco series likes Tales as a potential rep & I don’t see it.

Tales isn’t a mega franchise like most of the third party franchises nor has any of the games received high international praise like Bayonetta 2 & Persona 5 (both of which were nominated for GOTY at the Game Awards).

I think Rare’s silence on Twitter could be telling, as various MS employees have openly talked about Master Chief & Minecraft now. But all Banjo talk has suspiciously been quiet ever since Spencer’s last Tweet back when Ultimate was announced.

Any Playtonic members absolutely don’t know anything though. They don’t work with Microsoft/Rare, so they wouldn’t be let in on such a big secret. I don’t know why anyone would ever think otherwise.

Kirkhope MIGHT know but only if they’ve contacted him to do new music. If he’s not working on the DLC, then he’s in the dark too.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I still don't understand why people think that it's an all or nothing situation when it comes to which character that DLC fighters are based off of. To me, it seems like Banjo's model could be based on Duck Hunt's, but only the fully standing model. It doesn't necessarily have to use every special to have a base, so I don't see the argument to be honest.

Sure, Joker had a pretty heavy basis from Cloud. But I still feel like people are looking at it in extremes.
A lot or people, Trolls included, think that basing a new fighter off an existing model means all the specials and normals will be copy pasted over. This is the logic trolls use to claim Banjo can happen because "Hurr durr Duck-Hunt clone!" This is false. We are on the theory that Duck-Hunt's model is used as a base for Banjo-kazooie, nothing else. As shown with Joker, his model is based on Cloud's and then rejiggered to fit the finished product. You can already tell from Duck-Hunt's head that it can be tweaked slightly to fit Banjo's where the duck can be reshaped into Kazooie with a backpack built around her.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice

You don't understand because you don't know how smash modelling works. A character is built around a SKELETON NOT A MODEL(Model/animations mean nothing now.) B&K will require a skeleton for KAzooie and Banjo. So the team has two options -
- Make a skeleton from scratch
OR
- take a previous skeleton and modify it a bit then build over it.

Duck Hunt is literally the PERFECT base for B&K there is NO OTHER character that's better(maybe rosalina and luma/Ice Climbers but that'd be A LOT of skeleton editing to get that one to work for B&K.) Animations/the model of the base character make NO difference as those are a completely separate thing from the skeleton rig. Any other character would have to have another skeleton built for Kazooie. If there was no Kazooie than I'd agree with you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone seen this?
Also, based on everything I've heard, I think Brave (if it winds up being the "big" character reserved for E3) is going to blindside people in a number of ways. There's a rumblings that this E3 is going to be nuts and Nintendo's plans for "Brave", if the rumors and hints are true, will probably leave everyone cross-eyed and in a cold sweat from excitement. I'm skeptical because some of it rings as too good to be true but it's the kind of grandstanding that Nintendo's been doing a lot of as of late. That said, "Brave" would have a lot attached to it to the point of questionably being overkill if the rumors are true and the character announcement would actually get overshadowed by what was announced with it, even for Smash fans.
I give credence to it because both Polar and her source have told our Discord to pay close attention to the statements of certain people. Like I said, the character would be tied to several announcements that would not only be arguably bigger than the character announcement itself but would probably be one of the main stories to come out of this E3. As always, I'm being super ambiguous because I haven't been cleared to talk about specifics but I will say that it's a red carpet treatment for a character if there ever was one if it winds up being true.
This would most likely be banjo because of Nintendo and ms being at e3 together and dq11 was already revealed and those games could be rare replay and master chief collection

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
You don't understand because you don't know how smash modelling works. A character is built around a SKELETON NOT A MODEL(Model/animations mean nothing now.) B&K will require a skeleton for KAzooie and Banjo. So the team has two options -
- Make a skeleton from scratch
OR
- take a previous skeleton and modify it a bit then build over it.

Duck Hunt is literally the PERFECT base for B&K there is NO OTHER character that's better(maybe rosalina and luma/Ice Climbers but that'd be A LOT of skeleton editing to get that one to work for B&K.) Animations/the model of the base character make NO difference as those are a completely separate thing from the skeleton rig. Any other character would have to have another skeleton built for Kazooie. If there was no Kazooie than I'd agree with you.
Well I’m sorry that I don’t work on Smash so no, I don’t really know how it works. Just based on what other people were saying, that’s where I got my info.

Anyways, I do think Banjo is a VERY prolific figure, and E3 is pretty much the perfect time to reveal our duo. Especially if there’s some Nintendo-related announcements during the Microsoft press conference. Not that I don’t think that they could be revealed at any time, but there’s something special about E3. Especially if that meeting last year was about Smash. That’s be pretty neat.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Anyone seen this?

This would most likely be banjo because of Nintendo and ms being at e3 together and dq11 was already revealed and those games could be rare replay and master chief collection
Wouldn't both of those statements apply to steve as well?

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Wouldn't both of those statements apply to steve as well?
It's possible to be for Minecraft Dungeons, but so far that only releases on PC. If the P5 best buy leak means anything it might mean that inclusion in smash is based on a switch release of said product. It was announced in 2018, by now we would've heard of it would be on switch or not.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
It's possible to be for Minecraft Dungeons, but so far that only releases on PC. If the P5 best buy leak means anything it might mean that inclusion in smash is based on a switch release of said product. It was announced in 2018, by now we would've heard of it would be on switch or not.
Rare replays on the switch

Or a possible new banjo game if Microsoft want to do anything with them

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The question is. If it is Banjo. What possible announcement involving Banjo could overshadow Banjo appearing in Smash? Banjo-Threeie developed by Nintendo? I don't see Rare Replay overshadowing Banjo's smash appearance. Master Chief collection is a possibility. But the way they worded it makes it sound like it involves the character that appears in smash. Master Chief was already deconfirmed. I seriously can't think of some amazingly big Banjo news that would overshadow him appearing in Smash.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The question is. If it is Banjo. What possible announcement involving Banjo could overshadow Banjo appearing in Smash? Banjo-Threeie developed by Nintendo? I don't see Rare Replay overshadowing Banjo's smash appearance. Master Chief collection is a possibility. But the way they worded it makes it sound like it involves the character that appears in smash. Master Chief was already deconfirmed. I seriously can't think of some amazingly big Banjo news that would overshadow him appearing in Smash.
I can think of one: The announcement of Xbox Game Pass coming to the Switch, with a host of games ready to be playable on the go that same day.

Maybe the Switch isn't powerful enough to handle some of the more recent AAA titles without rezzing down, but it ABSOLUTELY could handle the backlog of 360 games without breaking a sweat.

Like, off the top of my head: The Fable series, The Gears of War series, Halo Wars, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect

Imagine announcing all of THOSE in addition to Banjo in Smash and Rare Replay on Switch

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

Possibly a new Banjo game that will be appearing on the Switch. I mean it would be a MS 1st party IP on a Nintendo console for a character who hasn't had a game in a decade. That would be pretty big, especially if it's not some HD remake. I doubt something like the Master Chief collection will come to Switch it just doesn't make sense to me.. Banjo however has a market on Switch and what does MS have to lose, the IP has been stagnant and clearly the Xbox faithful aren't the audience. Have the game developed by a 3rd party studio with MS studios over seeing it and release it as an Xbox and Switch shared title.

It's something that seems unrealistic and yet plausable at the same time.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate, coming to XBOX Live

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Here's another reason why I have no hopes for good DLC:

https://twitter.com/SykinSG/status/1119380981515988993

This is really sad.
I don't see this being any indication of DLC Quality, It is true that characters in the past have used modified animations from other characters (See Wolf/Sonic) but i don't think Joker's aerials are 1:1 to what he dug out as reference. Animation is a complicated matter and as well there's not a lot you can take out from Joker in terms of maneuvers as his source materials has never shown him doing these kinds of moves.

Mr. Stagg

I don't see this being any indication of DLC Quality, It is true that characters in the past have used modified animations from other characters (See Wolf/Sonic) but i don't think Joker's aerials are 1:1 to what he dug out as reference. Animation is a complicated matter and as well there's not a lot you can take out from Joker in terms of maneuvers as his source materials has never shown him doing these kinds of moves.
It seems that the least amount of work went into Joker himself. The stage was all new with various Phantom Thieves having to be fully modeled. Plus the victory screens must've taken considerable work. I wonder if this is just a Sakurai pet project and the other DLC's wont be as heavy with service to the source material.

osby

Smash Obsessed

This is really sad.
What's sad is people thinking this means anything.

So, what, a few moves of Joker resemble other fighters? That's not a good comparison, since it cherry-picks the ones that's borrowed from other fighters and doesn't do a whole moveset comparison.

Joker has at least three specials unique to him, a unique meter mechanic that gives him essentially two movesets and a number of novel normals that this post conveniently left out. If anything, he makes me more hopeful about the upcoming characters, if they can live up to Joker, that is.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

This is really sad.
Lucina is literally Marth's Echo, but you shouldn't play them the exact the same way. Minor differences make a big difference in how you play a character. Even if a character uses a moveset ripped from an amalgamation of different characters, they're still unique because you have to treat them and play them differently than you would any one of those characters. And not only does Joker achieve that, but he also includes several unique mechanics and moves. The grappling hook is an entirely unique Up-B. Eiha and Eigaon are entirely unique moves in how they function despite being similar to Arc-Fire in animation. The way he summons Arsense functions quite differently from Little Mac and Cloud since he gets an extended buff essentially to ALL of his moves as opposed to a specific one. His gun mechanics are entirely unique since he can actively move while performing the move itself, especially once you have the Persona summoned. There's a lot that fundamentally sets Joker apart from the rest of the roster and he plays quite uniquely even if he shares animations like many characters do.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Anyone seen this?

Everybody arguing over Steve and Banjo will all be blindsided.

Finally, Bandana Jinjo will get the love and respect he deserves. :shades:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What if it’s a double reveal of Master Chief & Banjo? I feel that’d be the biggest Smash reveal of all-time.

Realistically, it’ll be confirmation of Game Pass coming to Switch alongside some more Xbox game ports (Halo, Rare Replay & Ori) with Banjo in Smash. MAYBE a new Banjo game that’s on both Xbox & Switch if we’re lucky.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

This is really sad.
Bruh, they do this sort of stuff ever since Smash 64. Look at Jigglypuff and Kirby. Or Captain Falcon and Samus. Also Brawl Wolf.

Plus, when nearing near 80 characters, you're bound to recycle a lot of ideas. Besides, Joker' combination of borrowed moves is unique to him, and he already has a lot of assets that no other character has, beyond just his attacks.

D

Deleted member

I think it would be safe to eliminate the banjo mii costume argument because if Steve were In (which he will not) he would just bring Minecraft mii accessories nothing else because Minecraft isn’t owned by rare plus the reason why tails and knuckles were shown with the persona costumes is because atlus is a sister location to sega

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I think it would be safe to eliminate the banjo mii costume argument because if Steve were In (which he will not) he would just bring Minecraft mii accessories nothing else because Minecraft isn’t owned by rare plus the reason why tails and knuckles were shown with the persona costumes is because atlus is a sister location to sega
Doesn't SEGA own ATLUS ? That's why we got the Tails and Knux costume with the Persona stuff.

A Microsoft rep will probably bring one or two costumes related to the company , but not the character. (Imagine a Cuphead and Mugman mii gunner costumes with BK as playable !)

And to be honest... I don't really want another costume based on an animal costume... Just look at the K. Rool costume , it looked like someone killed him and used his skin as a costume.
But , if that's all we could get... Would still feel a bit weird honestly. Better than nothing , but it would be weird.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Well Joker is a thief so taking other characters moves makes sense :troll:

Soooo if we got the tails & knuckles mii costumes back with a sega rep dose that mean we will get a geno mii costume back with a square enix rep ?

Top Bottom