• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
My problem doesnt really lie with the anime artstyle, but with the fact that theyre all rpg characters. Ultimate hasnt gone all gung ho on rpg characters as of now, but if we get the likes of Lloyd and Edrick in this pass ill be a bit irked. Theres so much more to gaming than just rpgs, and its my opinion that the fighter pass should reflect that. They should be represented, but not be the majority. The same goes if we got too many platform characters or fps characters or fighting game characters.

Also, all this talk of counters makes me imagine how Banjo would look if he had a counter too, haha
Well that's a good point, but then people should be more specific when they complain. Plus you said it yourself: this is not a problem in ultimate. For now we got like Joker and Chrom as JRPG characters. We don't have any idea who the next DLC will be. Yes there's open door for more JRPG protagonists, but not only.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
People should really stop with this "generic anime" argument. Anime just means animation. Everybody in smash is an anime character. It's also funny that people like to complain about the Fire Emblem characters and Shulk for being too much "anime" but they never include Link, Samus, Simon, Richter or Zelda. Who are all HUMANS FROM JAPAN WITH HUMAN PROPORTIONS.
Finally someone with brains. By terms, this is 100% facts.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
My problem doesnt really lie with the anime artstyle, but with the fact that theyre all rpg characters. Ultimate hasnt gone all gung ho on rpg characters as of now, but if we get the likes of Lloyd and Edrick in this pass ill be a bit irked. Theres so much more to gaming than just rpgs, and its my opinion that the fighter pass should reflect that. They should be represented, but not be the majority. The same goes if we got too many platform characters or fps characters or fighting game characters.

Also, all this talk of counters makes me imagine how Banjo would look if he had a counter too, haha
Wonderwing into dropping that dinosaur he never delivered to her parents because backtracking is hard on them from his hyperspace backpack.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I like Joker, seems cool even if I think him, Cloud, and to some extent Snake feel out of place in a Nintendo fighting game. I definitely don’t feel like he’s just another sword anime character. I did feel that way with Shulk and to a lesser extent Chrom and an even lesser extent Cloud. He feels very unique, I think a lot of folks are turned off to Joker not because he’s an anime sword character, but because he feels off from the original premise of the game in its early days. But that premise began to crack with Snake anyways.

As for the whole anime sword fighter distain, I kinda feel you, but more so from the vantage point that their supporters really want you to bask in their superiority and feel like victims of the scorn of the Smash fan base. I don’t know if that quite articulates my feelings as I think we all have the right to like the characters we want and be excited about them too without others putting us down, but there’s a certain air to the anime clique that I can’t quite put my finger on.

As for the anime sword characters themselves, I’ll admit to being cold to them back in the melee era with Marth and Roy, but due to their longevity, I have turned a new leaf on them and I was kinda excited about Chrom, rooted for Isaac, and have no problem with a Sora, Erdrick, or Lloyd.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

**cough**puzzle games rep**cough**Rythm games rep**cough** (Seriously do Sakurai has something against these genres ? Or do he think that Lip and Rythm Heaven aren't worth it/Didn't had the opportunity to put them in?)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

5 of the 7 Smash For DLC characters were from RPGs.

If Erdrick is in, then 2 of the 5 this time are already from RPGs.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
**cough**puzzle games rep**cough**Rythm games rep**cough** (Seriously do Sakurai has something against these genres ? Or do he think that Lip and Rythm Heaven aren't worth it/Didn't had the opportunity to put them in?)
At the very least, we know that the Chorus Kids were possibly(???) considered. What burns me is his apparent dismissal of Lip, wondering how many people would know her (even if he has a point). All we have is Dr. Mario, and he does NOT COUNT.

I don't wanna slay monsters anymore! I wanna drop ****! I WANNA THINK! :ghost088:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
At the very least, we know that the Chorus Kids were possibly(???) considered. What burns me is his apparent dismissal of Lip, wondering how many people would know her (even if he has a point). All we have is Dr. Mario, and he does NOT COUNT.

I don't wanna slay monsters anymore! I wanna drop ****! I WANNA THINK! :ghost088:
I really don't like Sakurai's stance on characters people won't know. Most people are introduced to these characters through Smash. He really needs to get over his avoidance of niche characters.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
In fairness, many puzzle games don't have an actual character like Tetris. Or they're super obscure/unimportant like Arle Nadja or Lip.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Would it be possible that Edrick's chances have gone down because of how these fighter packs are designed? All Squeenix let them have was 2 songs and even then getting Cloud cost them a pretty penny. The Joker pack consisted of Spirits, 11 songs with a fighter, a stage and Mii costumes from the company. If Nintendo had to jump through flaming hoops to just get Cloud, 2 songs and a stage then I doubt they'd want to go through the licensing nightmare of getting the rest. Having DQ 11 on Switch is one thing because it took months after the initial release to get a switch version, no doubt negotiations were tough.

Phil's comments still make our duo a possibility. It is without a doubt that Phil's willingness to cooperate would lead to easy and cheap acquisition of the rights and material to make spirits, stage, songs, and a fighter in Banjo-Kazooie. Plus the franchise has more than enough content in just the B-K games to fill the requirements for a pack. Since these stages have to pop with life it's possible that the text box dialogue and wacky characters would offset the Anime-esque tone of the last one. Not saying the tone of the last one was bad, just saying that a B-K pack would be very different in tone.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Would it be possible that Edrick's chances have gone down because of how these fighter packs are designed? All Squeenix let them have was 2 songs and even then getting Cloud cost them a pretty penny. The Joker pack consisted of Spirits, 11 songs with a fighter, a stage and Mii costumes from the company. If Nintendo had to jump through flaming hoops to just get Cloud, 2 songs and a stage then I doubt they'd want to go through the licensing nightmare of getting the rest. Having DQ 11 on Switch is one thing because it took months after the initial release to get a switch version, no doubt negotiations were tough.

Phil's comments still make our duo a possibility. It is without a doubt that Phil's willingness to cooperate would lead to easy and cheap acquisition of the rights and material to make spirits, stage, songs, and a fighter in Banjo-Kazooie. Plus the franchise has more than enough content in just the B-K games to fill the requirements for a pack. Since these stages have to pop with life it's possible that the text box dialogue and wacky characters would offset the Anime-esque tone of the last one. Not saying the tone of the last one was bad, just saying that a B-K pack would be very different in tone.
Plus if B-K gets as much treatment as Joker, than it's likely that music from other Rare games are in like Windy & Co from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like Sakurai's stance on characters people won't know. Most people are introduced to these characters through Smash. He really needs to get over his avoidance of niche characters.
Right? Few have played every series represented in Smash, odds are most of everyone was exposed to new stuff through Smash.

The obscure, niche characters are cooler because they have some educational value and bring more attention to something that doesn't get a lot of spotlight. F-Zero and Mother are prime examples of this.
Or they're super obscure/unimportant like Arle Nadja
tumblr_pd5ynmyckM1rr29gyo8_250.gif

bayoen *****

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
All I have to say about the "anime characters" is this:

If someone modded joker's moveset onto Richter's model, we'd basically have a Jojo character in smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The witch stage from Stage Builder reminded me of Gruntilda. Could that be a hint that Banjo-Kazooie could be coming?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The witch stage from Stage Builder reminded me of Gruntilda. Could that be a hint that Banjo-Kazooie could be coming?
I'd be willing to believe it's a hint if the cat was a living broom and the cauldron had googly eyes.

Otherwise I'm gonna focus on Phil Spencer's words.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Was Rathalos tweet a hint for Isaac? Best not to read too much into cute jokes.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The dragons could also be a reference to Dragon quest... To be honest , I think they are more of a coincidence than anything.

Plus , Grunty doesn't have a cat , only one of her sisters do have one.

BK have a lot of others great and valid points in their favors , so don't worry too much about this witch.

Also think about the Skull Kid fans and the damn chairs

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm sold on Joker. Hoping Persona 5 comes to Switch and/or PC, so I can experience the game for the first time.

I can see why some people are disappointed that a few of Joker's moves seem borrowed, but that's just pretty common for fighting games. Especially games with huge rosters. Ridley was my most wanted since Brawl and many of his moves resemble those of other characters (cartwheel n-air, DK's b-air, fireballs, lunging command grab, Fox's up-special). He still feels fresh, because he gives his own flavor to these moves. I'm sure Banjo will feel fresh as well, if he makes it in.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also think about the Skull Kid fans and the damn chairs
I'm honestly someone who thought this theory made sense at the time when I saw it on Reddit.

and.

now I'm embarrassed.

pls forgive me Skull Kid, I'm sorry for the fantastical conspiracy chairs.

the idea was that it was a set so it'd have intentional design, but now I see how silly this is to think it means anything at all.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We're agreeing here. We've both said that there are legitimate criticisms that can be directed at the Smash team, roster diversity and character development choices being two, and you mention online being another.

Also, you think fans should be held accountable for their behavior and complaints. I have said in my posts that smash fans struggle with properly communicating frustrations and that ultimately their opinions become unhealthy.

You're right that probably no other person could have pulled off what Sakurai has done and the overwhelming success he's brought to this franchise. And while you're right you also kind of made my point about trying to address real issues in smash. Your first paragraph speaks to Ultimate as a real success in fan service. And while you're awknowledging that Sakurai and his team have issues, your first paragraph starts with the very deflection I mentioned in the post you quoted.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm more or less reflecting/introspecting on smash culture just as much as I am reflecting on things that are still issues. Because that seems fascinating.

For example, how much of fan frustration for some fans morphs into something more insidious because fellow fans (mostly innocently) dismiss other fans by essentially saying "But Look at Ultimate! There's fan service!" which actually doesn't promote discussion. I'm not saying you did this at all, but in real life I have met some people who believe Ultimate being a masterpiece automatically invalidates any and all critisisms, even genuine ones.

It's not wrong, but it's deflecting.

Another tough thing about smash culture is that it's hard to know how to curate responses for two different people who say the same thing. One person could be spreading hate, while another is just talking goofing around (which is simply an internet problem, but it's really pronounced for the smash community). We're all kind of conditioned to be defensive given how many trolls the community has.

For example, me poking fun at the generic anime swordfighter is something a troll would say too, but not everyone who says it is a troll. My friend showed me a fan made smash shirt (I'll try to find it and post an image) with all 70 characters and each had a funny meme name. For us, it was hilarious how almost each sword character was called some variation of Marth. But because trolls take jokes a step further and hate on the character's franchise and their fans it ruins it for people who are either genuinely frustrated by a clear pattern in character inclusions. As well as for people who can joke about it too but still find the characters to be worth inclusion and are happy for their fans. Essentially, benevolent trash talkers.

Sorry for the long winded psycho analysis. I find how other people treat each other in the smash community very interesting haha. Someone should write a dissertation about it.
To be clear, the "deflection" of Ultimate being this and that is to specifically call out people who speak as if Sakurai has no respect for the fans or hasn't done a great many things for fans in the game. That's clearly not the case as you've mentioned as well. I agree that Smash 4 went to heavily in a non-fan oriented approach, but that's a criticism of THAT game and THAT time period, not the current one. I want fans to admit that Sakurai has made strides in making the series better and listening to fans all around. Again, you're free to disagree with how certain decisions were made and ideas implemented, but not so much on the core idea of Sakurai "not listening to the fans." You're right, it doesn't promote discussion, but it's also not supposed to. It's my attempt to stop some of the worse whining and constant demand that Sakurai exclusively capitulate to fan demand. It's gotten to the point where every character that isn't fan requested now gets put through the ringer and criticized by a certain group of people. I'd argue that adds even less to discussion at the end of the day and I think there's a decent amount of people in the community who are beginning to get increasingly fed up with those reactions.

And I have the perfect exemplification of what I'm talking about:

You're whole argument falls apart when you realize that the Smash Ballot was a thing. They held that and...nothing. They had the information on how to please the fans and they ignored it. Also keeping Ganondorf a clone and crapping on the LOZ franchise foerwhat 4 game doesn't help your argument.

And stop with this, you can't please all the fans, I agree you can't but you sure as hell can please most of us, and characters like the Joker, Inceneroar, and another Marth don't help. Constantly ingnoring the west's contribution to gaming DOES NOT help.

I also strongly disagree with the better single player and classic. WOL sucks, it's repetitive and pointless. You know what would have made it better? Platforming levels mixed in with event fights. THat would have been badass, adventure/smash run turned up to 11. Instead we just got event fight after event fight that become repeats because there's not much to modify in a fight.

As for classic mode, it's meh. I don't like how it's shorter. I don't like the non-randomness to it. I HATE the minigame, it's the dumbest thing ever. The boss fights are cool, but why not add a unique boss for every franchise or mostly every franchise. It doesn't make sense why there's no porky or every boss of SSE.
Osby already pointed out some of the issues with your comment. Also, my point wasn't that WOL was good, just that it was the first actual Single Player campaign since Brawl which everyone complained about ad nauseam during the Smash 4 life cycle. People wanted some form of a single player campaign and Sakurai strove to create that despite the intense time limitations he was on with everything else he was putting in the game. What you're talking about would have probably set us back to a roster of like 40 characters, and while you can debate which would be better, I honestly much prefer the decision to focus on a complete Smash experience rather than just one expanded campaign. Classic Mode, particularly in the Wii U, was the absolutely most atrocious version we had ever seen too. I think you'll find yourself to be in the minority who dislikes how they handled Classic Mode in Ultimate particularly. The clear amount of effort, theme decisions, and planning speaks for itself and makes me and many others actually want to play Classic with more just a handful of characters.

Chrom was brought in SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of fan demand and did get lots of positive reception since he was just an Echo and not a big deal. Joker also specifically has a quite large community of players who are hyped for him, and I've noticed nothing but positive reception for the character since last night's reveal out of the "usual suspects of anti-anime, anti-Persona, etc."

Your own criticism of the lack of "ballot attention" is specifically where I chose to make my original comment. That's absolute bull****. If we were willing to engage with fan polls, we know that Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Inkling, Ridley, and King K. Rool all placed very well. That's six characters not previously in Smash 4 right off the bat that were specifically picked from the ballot. The Everyone is Here! was a result of the ballot and that's what Sakurai communicated to us and our own polls showed, so add Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur back in as well as making sure that no one got cut from Smash 4 + DLC. Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Dark Samus, and Chrom all got highlighted as picked because of fan demand as well. Ultimate brought 14 characters either into or back into the series specifically because of fan demand. Stop pretending like fan demand wasn't heavily met in the game.

And it's also like Sakurai is a Japanese developer who specifically has wanted to represent the history of Japanese gaming and that's maybe his greatest autonomy in telling the "story of gaming" as he wants to tell it. He doesn't want to tell the Western narrative, nor should he be compelled to. He wants to tell a predominately Japanese one. And I can't blame him when there's so many classic and big franchises that influenced the industry from Japan specifically.

Tbh, and I don’t mean to imply that you’re arguing this (because you clearly aren’t), but I’ve gotten very tired of the “Ultimate is nearly flawless and we’re completely spoiled!” circlejerk. Its only strengths are the faster gameplay compared to Brawl/Smash 4 and the ridiculously well-balanced and massive roster.

The buffer system is an absolute joke that’s literally at complete odds with the new parry system (your window for buffered inputs is larger than your window to punish after a perfect shield, so you either need to play reservedly on the off-chance you get a perfect shield, or just accept that you won’t be able to capitalize off one 80% of the time)

The level of input lag is higher than most people would ever consider acceptable for a fighting game (playing Melee and then going to Ultimate feels like you’re playing a fighting game on AOL dial-up)

Movement has largely been nerfed in a way not conducive to aiding any specific style of play (the removal of shield-dropping and the generally atrocious platform movement doesn’t incentivize aggressive play or make the game more interesting/fun/strategic, it’s JUST frustrating)

WoL was a glorified Event Mode with less interesting scenarios (save for the final fight), very poor balancing (once you get a Lip’s Stick spirit there’s a clearly optimal form of play, discouraging spirit experimentation, which was basically the point of the mode to begin with) and extremely shallow design

While not Bethesda-levels, the game shipped with an unacceptable number of glitches for a Nintendo game

The online mode is among the WORST EVER for a fighting game. The GSP system actively PUNISHES you for being invested in the game, literally NOTHING about the way matchmaking works makes sense, battle arenas included (you can’t tell me that having to lose your place in line to change characters in a battle arena is anything but pure idiocy), and the online has glaring problems that could easily be solved with the most simple coding changes

The roster, while impressive, is pretty redundant in terms of design the more you look at it. The number of shared moves between, say, Incineroar and K Rool for example, is pretty disappointing.

Luigi may have gotten a decent overhaul, but other characters who have been around for a DECADE, in DESPERATE need of retooling, STILL haven’t been adequately updated. Sonic’s kit is just as uninspired and lame as it was when he was slapped together last second for Brawl (10 YEARS AGO), and the fact that 4 of the FE characters essentially have the same moveset after all this time is just sad

When you look at how much love and attention is put into someone like Joker, and then look at how neglected Ganondorf was for so long, or how neglected Sonic STILL is, you can’t argue that Sakurai’s biases aren’t reflected in how the roster was developed (and I’m not saying it’s an East over West thing, cause K Rool was totally inspired and lovingly crafted)

And you can’t argue that Sakurai can’t overhaul characters due to fan familiarity. The changes to Ganondorf’s kit not only were heavily requested for YEARS, but were UNIVERSALLY praised. 95% of people would MUCH rather their character be made more unique and interesting than kept redundant/uninspired for the sake of familiarity.
I actually agree with a lot of these criticisms. Ultimate isn't perfect and the online is probably the best example of that. We need dedicated playlists and better servers, but I blame Nintendo for being stubborn on a lot of that and continuing to stick to their guns. That's an entirely different conversation though, and Sakurai has done better in the past. Just a dedicated For Glory type mode select would solve most of their online problems. I feel like the Preferred Rules was a really cool idea to give lots of options to players in concept, but just hasn't worked in execution. There's also little things like lack of character select needing to be a thing and GSP seems to be a pretty weak system overall. At least it works well enough some of the time though, Brawl was actually the most broken thing ever and I've seen a LOT of online fighting games **** the bed when it comes to their actual components.

Also, while I think World of Light was too long, I do think it gets more interesting in the latter half of the actual campaign when more unique stuff is thrown at you and the fights require a little more thinking to get through. I almost never used Lip's Stick in my playing of the game though, and I've actually seen a decent amount of diversity with regards to how people approach Spirits. I think people might be a little too harsh on the mode overall though. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I quite enjoyed some parts of it and it did at least give us back a campaign of some substance.

We'll have to wait and see on the buffer system, I know there's some top level players who absolutely love it and think it adds more to the game. It might be a little too soon to make calls on that. I don't have a ton of issues with it myself, but I'm also not a top level player. The minutia of the gameplay will take a little while for things to fully develop though. So, we'll see.

That said, I disagree on the movesets issue. Ganondorf is the exception not the rule to moveset overhauls. He had been largely singled out as the character most in need of an overhaul and specifically fans wanted him to use the Sword for some reason. And that largely resulted from his just originally being a Captain Falcon clone, there's lot of other characters in which fans are absolutely attached to their kits and dislike even minor changes in them. You can find plenty of disappointment or uneasiness surrounding even the changes that Ultimate did with several of the veterans. I think Sakurai sees that and is reluctant to change too much for fear of alienating the players. I don't have any data to prove those metrics because it would be goddamn impossible to measure, but if I had to guess you might be overestimating how players feel about the roster. Changing a main can destroy a person's enjoyment of that character, and you do need to be careful with said changes.

I think the issue is that, again, there’s more variety between the non-anime characters than there is among the anime characters.

How many moves do Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Kirby, Peach, and Little Mac share?

Meanwhile Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Corrin, Bayonetta, and now Joker ALL have counters for their down specials. Counter fatigue is a SERIOUS thing, and for good reason.

I don’t think the issue is the design or look of the characters necessarily (though that certainly doesn’t help), as you’ll notice that people rarely ***** about Cloud’s inclusion even though he fits a similar mold (“anime” design, sword user).

The difference is that’s Cloud feels unique, he doesn’t play the same as seemingly a quarter of the roster the way many of the swordies do, and he feels like serious thought was put into making him feel special.

I think people have an aversion to more “anime characters” because it’s far more likely/viable from a design standpoint to just make them play similarly to a pre-existing character, where that isn’t the case for other kinds of characters. You couldn’t put Crash, Spyro, Banjo or Geno and realistically say “they could play similarly to _______”
Well, three of those characters are based off of the same base character, so it makes some sense. Plus, I also find it interesting how they're are several more counters in the game, yet you only frame the anime characters in the counter fatigue. Counters are fine and I don't see how they're so problematic for the community. A good deal of them are also pretty unique or behave differently too. Palutena's functions differently to Ike's, who functions differently to Greninja's, who functions differently to Shulk's, etc. There's some variation brought to those counters.

Also, which of the anime swordsmen really play the same?

Roy, Marth, Lucina, and Chrom - Which again, makes sense. A trio of characters that used Marth as the base. And even then, you have to play Roy quite differently from Marth to be succesful...

Young Link and Toon Link - Again, pretty logical that they're going to play similarly. Toon Link was largely a replacement for Young Link, but he's only back because of Everyone is Here!

and... that's about it. Shulk plays uniquely, Cloud plays uniquely, Robin plays uniquely, Corrin plays uniquely, etc. All the sword fighters do play differently and you can't just approach them all the same in any way. If you don't play those characters a lot, I guess I could kind of see what you're getting at, but still, they've been made mechanically unique much in the same way as the brawler type characters. All things have natural limits of variation, and a punch is still a punch even if you give it all these little effects too. I just don't see why sword wielders get so singled out when they really do not at all play that similarly as opposed to any other character type. It's a game with 78 characters as of today, there will be some overlap and there will be instances where characters are more similar to certain ones than others.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
What other things do you guys think banjo should have to make him more unique? I said something about how they should enter a "bregull blaster stance" for their neutral special a few pages ago. Any other ideas?

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
One of Banjo’s victory animations would definitely be the one for when he collects a jiggy but I’ve come up with a little twist for it. When Kazooie eats the jiggy it gets stuck in her throat like a cartoon character and Banjo quickly pulls her out of his backpack to then repeatedly perform the Heimlich maneuver while every thrust makes her eyes pop out. I came up with this cause I wondered what would they do after this animation besides just stand awkwardly.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
What other things do you guys think banjo should have to make him more unique? I said something about how they should enter a "bregull blaster stance" for their neutral special a few pages ago. Any other ideas?
His transformations. I think the crocodile, tank, trex, dragon, candle (dash attack), and detonator could be part of his moveset

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
One of Banjo’s victory animations would definitely be the one for when he collects a jiggy but I’ve come up with a little twist for it. When Kazooie eats the jiggy it gets stuck in her throat like a cartoon character and Banjo quickly pulls her out of his backpack to then repeatedly perform the Heimlich maneuver while every thrust makes her eyes pop out. I came up with this cause I wondered what would they do after this animation besides just stand awkwardly.
You just made my day.

It's been a while since Iv'e laughed like that , it would be so much in character lol.

Also it would be nice if dragon kazooie would be a skin. Or better...
THE WASHING MACHINE.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind some 4th wall breaking. After their victory animation, both of them are stuck in this position:
8100fe71538ce73278e57e47e083519d.jpg

If you wait a few seconds their eyes start to dart around, and they become visibly annoyed. Wait longer and text bubbles appear.

"What's taking them so long Banjo, my wings are getting tired."

"Don't move Kazooie they're probably just saving the replay."

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Washing Machine and the Pumpkin should definitely be used.

If they use transformations as attacks, maybe Mumbo could stand off to the side like Pokemon Trainer?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
The fellow Smashboards shared a video of who did possible third-party representatives came up with a great idea for Banjo & Kazooie to make them more unique that I kinda liked and added to where when they are on a stage, Feather and Egg nests will randomly appear for them and them alone to collect, like in their games where collecting is the name of the game, cycling through the feathers and eggs they have in their moveset, and they'd restock their feather and egg supplies whenever they run low. They'd start off with a set number of Feathers and Eggs, maybe 50 red feathers and 10 golden feathers and 100 blue eggs and 5 of each special egg (fire, ice, battery, clockwork kazooie, grenade), and the player has to keep track of their rations and make sure not to overuse their stock, otherwise they have to make due without until a nest pops up for them to grab. Their recovery or attacks (if it involves flying or feathers), their defense (if Wonderwing is involved), and their projectiles would all rely on keeping track of their supplies! It might be a bit tough to make it work, but it certainly is an interesting idea to say the least.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I wouldn't mind some 4th wall breaking. After their victory animation, both of them are stuck in this position:
View attachment 209579

If you wait a few seconds their eyes start to dart around, and they become visibly annoyed. Wait longer and text bubbles appear.

"What's taking them so long Banjo, my wings are getting tired."

"Don't move Kazooie they're probably just saving the replay."
Best idea ive heard on this thread this month and now im going to be dissappinted if they get in and this doesnt happen

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Supposing Banjo is included in the game, and the witch stage builder was a hint, why wouldn't it be generic as possible? If they cut to footage of a stage that looked like this:

It wouldn't be a hint so much as a gigantic giveaway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Supposing Banjo is included in the game, and the witch stage builder was a hint, why wouldn't it be generic as possible? If they cut to footage of a stage that looked like this:

The second thought I've had seeing this was "generic witch and cat".

But then again, witches' cats usually don't have Piddles' color scheme...Either it was a designer simply having harmless fun, or it's a tease.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
People should really stop with this "generic anime" argument. Anime just means animation. Everybody in smash is an anime character. It's also funny that people like to complain about the Fire Emblem characters and Shulk for being too much "anime" but they never include Link, Samus, Simon, Richter or Zelda. Who are all HUMANS FROM JAPAN WITH HUMAN PROPORTIONS.

No offense, but “anime” does not just mean “animation”, anymore than “rogue-like” just means “video game”. It’s reductive and inaccurate to insinuate that the conventions, trappings and language of anime are just standard fare for animation across the board. No, not everyone in Smash is an anime character. If MARIO is ANIME, then everything is anime.

And it's also like Sakurai is a Japanese developer who specifically has wanted to represent the history of Japanese gaming and that's maybe his greatest autonomy in telling the "story of gaming" as he wants to tell it. He doesn't want to tell the Western narrative, nor should he be compelled to. He wants to tell a predominately Japanese one. And I can't blame him when there's so many classic and big franchises that influenced the industry from Japan specifically.
Well at that point it depends on what you’re looking for Smash to be. When talking about what future inclusions we want to see in a product that is to be sold to us, it’s not unreasonable to argue “the creator’s personal vision and biases are not good enough reason for me as a consumer to accept being sold things I would not prefer”. Zack Snyder may have had a very specific vision of what he wanted for Man Of Steel and BvS, but those were visions I did not care for, and did not want to take part in.

(no I am not comparing one of my favorite games of all time and one of my most respected game directors to Hack Snyder and his DC atrocities, I’m just making a point)

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Playing Devil Bottle's advocate, how often do you see witches portrayed without a pointed chin? Once you add that to this stage's design it almost immediately becomes too reminiscent of Grunty.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

This is just a generic witch. Do not fall in with the Steve trolls into believing every tiny detail. I'm going to perform a hard read here and call out that those trolls will use this Witch to act like Banjobros to make us look bad. Never stopped them from claiming the "dig" tweet from Xbox game pass was a hard confirm for Steve.

BZocky

Smash Ace
The second thought I've had seeing this was "generic witch and cat".

But then again, witches' cats usually don't have Piddles' color scheme...Either it was a designer simply having harmless fun, or it's a tease.
The purple was added as part of an edit to make it look closer to piddles. In the direct it’s a black cat

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The purple was added as part of an edit to make it look closer to piddles. In the direct it’s a black cat
Ah, ok.

In any case, the Steve trolls are clearly starting to get desperate as they realise that their characters' chances are slipping by the day.

Playing Devil Bottle's advocate, how often do you see witches portrayed without a pointed chin? Once you add that to this stage's design it almost immediately becomes too reminiscent of Grunty.
Doy, it took me until now to notice that the cauldron has eyes, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom