• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
The real problem isn't that there are generic anime sword fighters it's Sakurai not taking fans feelings into consideration and skewing the roster more towards his preference than ours.

The mentality needs to die because all it does is write off the merits of actual characters and doesn't address a real problem. You're right that frustration doesn't need to go away it just needs to be focused on the right thing instead of fighting issues that aren't there.
This is what I was alluding to in my posts. Years of neglect regarding certain complaints and issues which then foster toxic attitudes and behaviors via resentment. Sorry I should have made that more clear because I agree with you. The roster is skewed with regard to representation and there are solutions to resolve that, but the Smash team seems rather chill about how the roster shaped up, so they kind of just keep doing their own thing independent of what fans have been saying for years.

Like truly fixing Ganondorf. Or completely re-doing some of the fire emblem characters move-sets so we don't have 4 Marths and instead have at least 2 really distinct characters and their echoes. Or add a certain bear and bird and pupput so old farts like me can feel like parts of their childhood is represented too!

It's tough though. If you address the real problem, then people say you're disrespecting the smash team and Sakurai and saying he doesn't listen to fans. Which couldn't be further from the truth. The man is a legend, but people don't realize it's okay to critique legends.

Anyways, in the meantime I'm still gonna joke about sword fighters when relevant. Haha

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is what I was alluding to in my posts. Years of neglect regarding certain complaints and issues which then foster toxic attitudes and behaviors via resentment. Sorry I should have made that more clear because I agree with you. The roster is skewed with regard to representation and there are solutions to resolve that, but the Smash team seems rather chill about how the roster shaped up, so they kind of just keep doing their own thing independent of what fans have been saying for years.

Like truly fixing Ganondorf. Or completely re-doing some of the fire emblem characters move-sets so we don't have 4 Marths and instead have at least 2 really distinct characters and their echoes. Or add a certain bear and bird and pupput so old farts like me can feel like parts of their childhood is represented too!

It's tough though. If you address the real problem, then people say you're disrespecting the smash team and Sakurai and saying he doesn't listen to fans. Which couldn't be further from the truth. The man is a legend, but people don't realize it's okay to critique legends.

Anyways, in the meantime I'm still gonna joke about sword fighters when relevant. Haha
After Ultimate, I also have less sympathy for the “plight of the fans” and their frustrations. This entire game was built around honoring fan ideas essentially, pulling a little something from almost every area of criticism to make a new Smash game. When you start breaking it down, that’s what really defines Ultimate as a Smash game. The ideal game built around all of those requests (no cuts, return all characters, include fan requests, single player campaign, better classic, single character stock battles, etc.).

I agree, there’s some legitimate criticism of execution in certain areas and Smash still suffers from Nintendo’s inability to really “get” online play properly.

And then there’s complaining that the limits of reality didn’t stretch enough to meet your specific desires and wants. I’m all for fans supporting their characters with all of the love in the world, I’m all for them having discourse about the game and features, and criticizing when due. But there’s a lot of frustration that needs to be owned by the fan base as opposed to projected on to Sakurai too. And certain criticisms come off as weaker because something like the fourth Marth’s is exactly born out of fan refusal to let Roy go or to let Chrom go. They both remained heavily requested characters. And Sakurai has generally wanted to retain the movsets of characters it seems exactly to not alienate players of certain characters. That doesn’t always work with his tuning, but it’s stuff like that which can sort of come back to the fans.

And that’s really the biggest issue at play. There’s so many fans with so many requests and ideas about how to run a franchise. It’s impossible to meet a 1/100th of their demands at the best of times when you have so much diversity in a community. Especially when you potentially have the parent company of Nintendo pushing and pulling you in different directions all while you’re trying to make your own artistic and creative statements through the game you’re in control of.

I don’t envy Sakurai in the least bit, and I’m skeptical that another director would be able to do anywhere near as well as him. Sakurai has his issues, but the fact he has developed 6 solid entries in this ever expanding franchise that have performed extraordinarily well and pleased a lot of people speaks some volume about his talent. And he’s still going after all these years and intense labor for the game, somehow.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
After Ultimate, I also have less sympathy for the “plight of the fans” and their frustrations. This entire game was built around honoring fan ideas essentially, pulling a little something from almost every area of criticism to make a new Smash game. When you start breaking it down, that’s what really defines Ultimate as a Smash game. The ideal game built around all of those requests (no cuts, return all characters, include fan requests, single player campaign, better classic, single character stock battles, etc.).

I agree, there’s some legitimate criticism of execution in certain areas and Smash still suffers from Nintendo’s inability to really “get” online play properly.

And then there’s complaining that the limits of reality didn’t stretch enough to meet your specific desires and wants. I’m all for fans supporting their characters with all of the love in the world, I’m all for them having discourse about the game and features, and criticizing when due. But there’s a lot of frustration that needs to be owned by the fan base as opposed to projected on to Sakurai too. And certain criticisms come off as weaker because something like the fourth Marth’s is exactly born out of fan refusal to let Roy go or to let Chrom go. They both remained heavily requested characters. And Sakurai has generally wanted to retain the movsets of characters it seems exactly to not alienate players of certain characters. That doesn’t always work with his tuning, but it’s stuff like that which can sort of come back to the fans.

And that’s really the biggest issue at play. There’s so many fans with so many requests and ideas about how to run a franchise. It’s impossible to meet a 1/100th of their demands at the best of times when you have so much diversity in a community. Especially when you potentially have the parent company of Nintendo pushing and pulling you in different directions all while you’re trying to make your own artistic and creative statements through the game you’re in control of.

I don’t envy Sakurai in the least bit, and I’m skeptical that another director would be able to do anywhere near as well as him. Sakurai has his issues, but the fact he has developed 6 solid entries in this ever expanding franchise that have performed extraordinarily well and pleased a lot of people speaks some volume about his talent. And he’s still going after all these years and intense labor for the game, somehow.
We're agreeing here. We've both said that there are legitimate criticisms that can be directed at the Smash team, roster diversity and character development choices being two, and you mention online being another.

Also, you think fans should be held accountable for their behavior and complaints. I have said in my posts that smash fans struggle with properly communicating frustrations and that ultimately their opinions become unhealthy.

You're right that probably no other person could have pulled off what Sakurai has done and the overwhelming success he's brought to this franchise. And while you're right you also kind of made my point about trying to address real issues in smash. Your first paragraph speaks to Ultimate as a real success in fan service. And while you're awknowledging that Sakurai and his team have issues, your first paragraph starts with the very deflection I mentioned in the post you quoted.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm more or less reflecting/introspecting on smash culture just as much as I am reflecting on things that are still issues. Because that seems fascinating.

For example, how much of fan frustration for some fans morphs into something more insidious because fellow fans (mostly innocently) dismiss other fans by essentially saying "But Look at Ultimate! There's fan service!" which actually doesn't promote discussion. I'm not saying you did this at all, but in real life I have met some people who believe Ultimate being a masterpiece automatically invalidates any and all critisisms, even genuine ones.

It's not wrong, but it's deflecting.

Another tough thing about smash culture is that it's hard to know how to curate responses for two different people who say the same thing. One person could be spreading hate, while another is just talking goofing around (which is simply an internet problem, but it's really pronounced for the smash community). We're all kind of conditioned to be defensive given how many trolls the community has.

For example, me poking fun at the generic anime swordfighter is something a troll would say too, but not everyone who says it is a troll. My friend showed me a fan made smash shirt (I'll try to find it and post an image) with all 70 characters and each had a funny meme name. For us, it was hilarious how almost each sword character was called some variation of Marth. But because trolls take jokes a step further and hate on the character's franchise and their fans it ruins it for people who are either genuinely frustrated by a clear pattern in character inclusions. As well as for people who can joke about it too but still find the characters to be worth inclusion and are happy for their fans. Essentially, benevolent trash talkers.

Sorry for the long winded psycho analysis. I find how other people treat each other in the smash community very interesting haha. Someone should write a dissertation about it.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
If they really want to go all out for Banjo like they did to Joker, one of the things they should do is implement a similar thing like Snake’s codecs or Palutena’s guidance. Kazooie would constantly make fun of every character while Banjo tries to come up with compliments. Plus, no voice acting required. All you need is incoherent mumbling and funny writing with a western wit to it.
It's that kind of charm that really sold Jokers inclusion. Now that we have actually seen how the pack is structured I can confidently claim that Banjo-kazooie really has what it takes. This pack really was stuffed with content, but it seems that a candidate needs more than the base 3 requirements to work. Considering how you need Spirits, the franchise in question has to have characters to fill it in. Plus it is worth noting that the Mii costumes revealed were both from the pack franchise and the company that associated with it, Sega in this case.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It's that kind of charm that really sold Jokers inclusion. Now that we have actually seen how the pack is structured I can confidently claim that Banjo-kazooie really has what it takes. This pack really was stuffed with content, but it seems that a candidate needs more than the base 3 requirements to work. Considering how you need Spirits, the franchise in question has to have characters to fill it in. Plus it is worth noting that the Mii costumes revealed were both from the pack franchise and the company that associated with it, Sega in this case.
They more than have what it takes. Like I've said in the past, Banjo & Kazooie already have all the requirements necessary to be an entire fighter pack. Big legacy matching up with other third-party characters? Check. Representing an entire video game company and its library? Check. A stage and music selections? Check and check. A ton of personality and charm to bring to Smash? Freaking check! Not to mention all the other stuff Banjo & Kazooie have going for them, viable and unique movesets and animations, tons of characters and personalities to make into spirits or stage hazards, popularity among Nintendo fans worldwide (at least older fans who grew up with the series), tons of music options to choose from (was very happy to see Mementos had a ton of Persona music for its Fighter Pass, makes me hopeful if the bear and bird get in, they'll have a ton of music to choose from), etc. If they don't make it into the Fighter Pass this year, chances are they won't ever make it into Smash OR return to the spotlight with a remaster or a new game. I really hope this is their time to shine...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They've definitely gone all out to make Joker not feel like he's an extra. So if Banjo gets in he will really feel like he belongs!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Persona 5 is sure popular in Japan but not really that much in smash communities I say.
NOA did kind of tease something smash'll happen before TGA but we got nothing like that from NOJ so the Joker reveal was literally out of nowhere for us. I think this is one of a reason Joker somewhat considered as gaijin pick in Japanese smash bubble.
So you're telling us that Japanse Smash Fans think Joker was a pick by western Smash fans when Persona 5 is a hit in Japan unlike any other part of the world? (as far as i have seen)

This is Clown World i live in i swear.

EDIT: By the way this isn't meant as an attack, im just confused as all hell.
Even Japan didn't see it coming.

The idea of this hurts, but watch it's going to happen.
Look on the bright side, at least his existence would be acknowledged, and people all over the world would have to notice him. Also, costumes are more or less a soft "better luck next time".

Last edited:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Joker & the 3.0 update looks so fun (waiting on buying joker tho to see who else is in B4 buying the season pass)

with mii costumes if we get banjo will will get rare mii costumes maybe ? conker ? PLUS a rare spirit board !? the data mined rare spirites ?

also what happend to code name "Jane" ? she had a pony tail & predicted the P5R protag right ? will we see echo fighter DLC ?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
My whole take on the "Anime" vs "Cartoony" characters debate is that it's mostly based on perception, I think the reason "Anime JRPG Swordsman" get lumped together a lot more is that while they certainly can have different and unique playstyles, Most of them look like they can come from the same game since they are Human based, I mean to your average person or gamer Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy characters look pretty similar and regardless of how they play most of them carry some type of Sword/Blade which also doesn't help.

I feel like "Cartoony" characters don't get the same reputation because one could argue they have a much bigger and wider pool to choose from especially animal characters, While they share the same genre "Platformers" characters like Yoshi (Dinosaur) Donkey Kong (Gorilla) and Sonic (Hedgehog) don't really look anything alike other than being cartoony animals of different species.

Pokemon normally get a pass too since they are mainly animal based as well and also have a very wide pool of characters to choose from with a higher chance of a different types if play style because of their moves, powers and types, While they are all Pokemon, Pikachu (Mouse/Squirrel) Charizard (Dragon) Lucario (Canine) Incineroar (Tiger) look nothing alike either.

Me personally I prefer "Cartoony Platform/Animal Characters" and Pokemon is the only "JRPG" franchise that I have only really been into because I love animals, So I can see where some fans are coming from that point of view, But I can also see why traditional "JRPG" fans of games like Final Fantasy, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem get sick of hearing that stereotype.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
My whole take on the "Anime" vs "Cartoony" characters is that it's mostly based on perception, I think the reason "Anime JRPG Swordsman" get lumped together a lot more is that while they certainly can have different and unique playstyles, Most of them look like they can come from the same game since they are Human based, I mean to your average person or gamer Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy characters look pretty similar and regardless of how they play most of them carry some type of Sword/Blade which also doesn't help.

I feel like "Cartoony" characters don't get the same reputation because one could argue they have a much bigger and wider pool to choose from especially animal characters, While they share the same genre "Platformers" characters like Yoshi (Dinosaur) Donkey Kong (Gorilla) and Sonic (Hedgehog) don't really look anything alike other than being cartoony animals of different species.

Pokemon normally get a pass too since they are mainly animal based as well and also have a very wide pool of characters to choose from with a higher chance of a different type of play style because of their moves and powers and While they are all Pokemon, Pikachu (Mouse/Squirrel) Charizard (Dragon) Incineroar (Tiger) look nothing alike either.

Me personally I prefer "Cartoony Platform/Animal Charcters" and Pokemon is the only "JRPG" franchise that I have only really been into because I love animals, So I can see where some fans are coming from that point of view, But I can also see why traditional "JRPG" fans of games like Final Fantasy, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem get sick of hearing that stereotype.
As somebody who went to college to learn about animation and cartooning and having an appreciation for all forms and styles of cartoon and animation, I've been subject to the bias of 'all anime looks the same, e.g. boring' in the past, and that's obviously not the case at all, and have made the same arguments towards characters in Smash like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, Persona, and especially Fire Emblem. And it's all subjective, honestly. I do think the idea/argument that there are too many swordsmen and JRPG 'anime' characters is a bit ridiculous in this particular game that, while it may have been a bit more so in the past, now has a roster consisting of up to 70+ characters, the vast majority of which are much more diverse in style and personality. There's a much better balance in the roster than in past games. There's a style or character for everyone. I just hope that's reflected in the Fighter Pass.

But I'm of the same mindset as you, I see characters like Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, and Banjo-Kazooie and I see personality and color and style, all of whom look unique and different and behave differently. And same as well with Pokemon, it's the only RPG I've ever been able to get into and enjoy.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
While BK isn't my first choice... I really hope they are the 2nd character of the fighter pass.

I have a friend who really want them , and I don't want to see his heart get shattered. Like seriously , he really want them.

Also , if the wait is killing you , don't forget to just play others games. Yeah , seem silly to say something this obvious , but a lot of people seem to forget that.
Also , is Banjo-Tooie included in Rare Replays ?

Iv'e heard some rumors of the game coming to Switch , and it would be lovely if this game was included. Because uh... Look at how expensive this game is in Europe (https://www.amazon.fr/Koch-Internat...s=banjo-tooie&qid=1555504948&s=gateway&sr=8-1 )

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
While BK isn't my first choice... I really hope they are the 2nd character of the fighter pass.

I have a friend who really want them , and I don't want to see his heart get shattered. Like seriously , he really want them.

Also , if the wait is killing you , don't forget to just play others games. Yeah , seem silly to say something this obvious , but a lot of people seem to forget that.
Also , is Banjo-Tooie included in Rare Replays ?

Iv'e heard some rumors of the game coming to Switch , and it would be lovely if this game was included. Because uh... Look at how expensive this game is in Europe (https://www.amazon.fr/Koch-Internat...s=banjo-tooie&qid=1555504948&s=gateway&sr=8-1 )
Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and Nuts and Bolts are in Rare Replay.

The only Banjo games that aren't are the two GBA ones, Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
, single player campaign, better classi
You're whole argument falls apart when you realize that the Smash Ballot was a thing. They held that and...nothing. They had the information on how to please the fans and they ignored it. Also keeping Ganondorf a clone and crapping on the LOZ franchise foerwhat 4 game doesn't help your argument.

And stop with this, you can't please all the fans, I agree you can't but you sure as hell can please most of us, and characters like the Joker, Inceneroar, and another Marth don't help. Constantly ingnoring the west's contribution to gaming DOES NOT help.

I also strongly disagree with the better single player and classic. WOL sucks, it's repetitive and pointless. You know what would have made it better? Platforming levels mixed in with event fights. THat would have been badass, adventure/smash run turned up to 11. Instead we just got event fight after event fight that become repeats because there's not much to modify in a fight.

As for classic mode, it's meh. I don't like how it's shorter. I don't like the non-randomness to it. I HATE the minigame, it's the dumbest thing ever. The boss fights are cool, but why not add a unique boss for every franchise or mostly every franchise. It doesn't make sense why there's no porky or every boss of SSE.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and Nuts and Bolts are in Rare Replay.

The only Banjo games that aren't are the two GBA ones, Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge.
I see , thank you for the answer !

If BK come to smash and Rare replay come to Switch , this would really make me happy.
While I didn't played their games , I remember watching let's play of BK and BT , they were made by the OcariKnights , they are french youtubers. I was pretty young back then , so in a way , Banjo and Kazooie had a place in my childhood :secretkpop:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You're whole argument falls apart when you realize that the Smash Ballot was a thing. They held that and...nothing. They had the information on how to please the fans and they ignored it. Also keeping Ganondorf a clone and crapping on the LOZ franchise foerwhat 4 game doesn't help your argument

And stop with this, you can't please all the fans, I agree you can't but you sure as hell can please most of us, and characters like the Joker, Inceneroar, and another Marth don't help.

I also strongly disagree with the better single player and classic. WOL sucks, it's repetitive and pointless. You know what would have made it better? Platforming levels mixed in with event fights. THat would have been badass, adventure/smash run turned up to 11. Instead we just got event fight after event fight that become repeats because there's not much to modify in a fight.

As for classic mode, it's meh. I don't like how it's shorter. I don't like the non-randomness to it. I HATE the minigame, it's the dumbest thing ever. The boss fights are cool, but why not add a unique boss for every franchise or mostly every franchise. It doesn't make sense why there's no porky or every boss of SSE.
  1. You're ignoring that we got Ridley, K.Rool and Belmonts from the ballot.
  2. Joker and Chrom got almost nothing but positive reception, so I think you are mistaking your own feelings for the whole fanbase's.
  3. It's obvious that development team didn't have time to make long platforming levels or bring every boss back. Single player modes largely positively received, so it's just more of you reflecting yourself to whole fandom. Also if you think a different boss for every franchise is feasible, you don't know much about game development.
  4. Overall, your complaints feel less like "they didn't listen to fans" and more like "this game doesn't cater exclusively to me".

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Smash Ultimate's base roster could only have been be a bigger love letter so Smash fans if they had included Geno and Banjo.

Every character returning, the two biggest requests of the past 2 decades (Ridley and K. Rool), popular 3rd Party favorite Simon, the new fan favorite from Animal Crossing.

Even if we get no more than K. Rool, Ridley and Simon from the ballot it was worth it just for them.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So we most likely aren't getting any news for the next fighter till E3. I have a prediction/hope myself. The Xbox event is the day before the Nintendo one. What if during it they reveal what looks like a new Banjo and Kazooie game, but it turns out to actually be the smash reveal trailer for them?

Then during nintendos direct, they go over banjo and kazooie, then say they are releasing later that day, and also announce a Banjo and Kazooie game coming for switch? Then maybe also show a trailer for the next character, coming sometime in Augest or September

Nartic

Smash Cadet
I think Banjo has a good shot.
It would be fun if the stage was a Grunty's Furnace Fun.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and another Marth don't help.
Chrom WAS a fan request. He just came at an awkward time. His ballot votes were submitted before we saw the announcements for Roy and Corrin, and even then, "I like this character" could've taken priority over "muh balanced roster".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m starting to get the feeling banjo is an e3 reveal and they’re brave

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Right now it's just a matter of waiting and hoping for the best, since it looks like we'll be in the dark for whoever the next fighter is for the next two months at least.

habibyo25

Smash Rookie
Since Joker had a lot of voice acting in his trailer it made me think about Banjo Kazooie's trailer (if they get in). In the trailer while it shows gameplay it could show Banjo & Kazooie talking about smash in their text box just like their games with the mumbling sound effects while Kazooie insults the fighters and Bottles explains Banjo's moves and then Gruntilda can insult Banjo in the trailer as well. It would be so cool if Banjo walks onto battlefield in the trailer and he says "Kazooie we finally made it!" and Kazooie says something snarky like "Great we're in a game with a plumber and an ape."

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman

Tbh, and I don’t mean to imply that you’re arguing this (because you clearly aren’t), but I’ve gotten very tired of the “Ultimate is nearly flawless and we’re completely spoiled!” circlejerk. Its only strengths are the faster gameplay compared to Brawl/Smash 4 and the ridiculously well-balanced and massive roster.

The buffer system is an absolute joke that’s literally at complete odds with the new parry system (your window for buffered inputs is larger than your window to punish after a perfect shield, so you either need to play reservedly on the off-chance you get a perfect shield, or just accept that you won’t be able to capitalize off one 80% of the time)

The level of input lag is higher than most people would ever consider acceptable for a fighting game (playing Melee and then going to Ultimate feels like you’re playing a fighting game on AOL dial-up)

Movement has largely been nerfed in a way not conducive to aiding any specific style of play (the removal of shield-dropping and the generally atrocious platform movement doesn’t incentivize aggressive play or make the game more interesting/fun/strategic, it’s JUST frustrating)

WoL was a glorified Event Mode with less interesting scenarios (save for the final fight), very poor balancing (once you get a Lip’s Stick spirit there’s a clearly optimal form of play, discouraging spirit experimentation, which was basically the point of the mode to begin with) and extremely shallow design

While not Bethesda-levels, the game shipped with an unacceptable number of glitches for a Nintendo game

The online mode is among the WORST EVER for a fighting game. The GSP system actively PUNISHES you for being invested in the game, literally NOTHING about the way matchmaking works makes sense, battle arenas included (you can’t tell me that having to lose your place in line to change characters in a battle arena is anything but pure idiocy), and the online has glaring problems that could easily be solved with the most simple coding changes

The roster, while impressive, is pretty redundant in terms of design the more you look at it. The number of shared moves between, say, Incineroar and K Rool for example, is pretty disappointing.

Luigi may have gotten a decent overhaul, but other characters who have been around for a DECADE, in DESPERATE need of retooling, STILL haven’t been adequately updated. Sonic’s kit is just as uninspired and lame as it was when he was slapped together last second for Brawl (10 YEARS AGO), and the fact that 4 of the FE characters essentially have the same moveset after all this time is just sad

When you look at how much love and attention is put into someone like Joker, and then look at how neglected Ganondorf was for so long, or how neglected Sonic STILL is, you can’t argue that Sakurai’s biases aren’t reflected in how the roster was developed (and I’m not saying it’s an East over West thing, cause K Rool was totally inspired and lovingly crafted)

And you can’t argue that Sakurai can’t overhaul characters due to fan familiarity. The changes to Ganondorf’s kit not only were heavily requested for YEARS, but were UNIVERSALLY praised. 95% of people would MUCH rather their character be made more unique and interesting than kept redundant/uninspired for the sake of familiarity.

As somebody who went to college to learn about animation and cartooning and having an appreciation for all forms and styles of cartoon and animation, I've been subject to the bias of 'all anime looks the same, e.g. boring' in the past, and that's obviously not the case at all, and have made the same arguments towards characters in Smash like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy, Persona, and especially Fire Emblem. And it's all subjective, honestly. I do think the idea/argument that there are too many swordsmen and JRPG 'anime' characters is a bit ridiculous in this particular game that, while it may have been a bit more so in the past, now has a roster consisting of up to 70+ characters, the vast majority of which are much more diverse in style and personality. There's a much better balance in the roster than in past games. There's a style or character for everyone. I just hope that's reflected in the Fighter Pass.

But I'm of the same mindset as you, I see characters like Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, and Banjo-Kazooie and I see personality and color and style, all of whom look unique and different and behave differently. And same as well with Pokemon, it's the only RPG I've ever been able to get into and enjoy.
I think the issue is that, again, there’s more variety between the non-anime characters than there is among the anime characters.

How many moves do Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Kirby, Peach, and Little Mac share?

Meanwhile Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Corrin, Bayonetta, and now Joker ALL have counters for their down specials. Counter fatigue is a SERIOUS thing, and for good reason.

I don’t think the issue is the design or look of the characters necessarily (though that certainly doesn’t help), as you’ll notice that people rarely ***** about Cloud’s inclusion even though he fits a similar mold (“anime” design, sword user).

The difference is that’s Cloud feels unique, he doesn’t play the same as seemingly a quarter of the roster the way many of the swordies do, and he feels like serious thought was put into making him feel special.

I think people have an aversion to more “anime characters” because it’s far more likely/viable from a design standpoint to just make them play similarly to a pre-existing character, where that isn’t the case for other kinds of characters. You couldn’t put Crash, Spyro, Banjo or Geno and realistically say “they could play similarly to _______”

I’m starting to get the feeling banjo is an e3 reveal and they’re brave
Do we have confirmation about that “Brave is shorter than Mario” thing I mentioned before?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tbh, and I don’t mean to imply that you’re arguing this (because you clearly aren’t), but I’ve gotten very tired of the “Ultimate is nearly flawless and we’re completely spoiled!” circlejerk. Its only strengths are the faster gameplay compared to Brawl/Smash 4 and the ridiculously well-balanced and massive roster.

The buffer system is an absolute joke that’s literally at complete odds with the new parry system (your window for buffered inputs is larger than your window to punish after a perfect shield, so you either need to play reservedly on the off-chance you get a perfect shield, or just accept that you won’t be able to capitalize off one 80% of the time)

The level of input lag is higher than most people would ever consider acceptable for a fighting game (playing Melee and then going to Ultimate feels like you’re playing a fighting game on AOL dual-up)

Movement has largely been nerfed in a way not conducive to aiding any specific style of play (the removal of shield-dropping and the generally atrocious platform movement doesn’t incentivize aggressive play or make the game more interesting/fun/strategic, it’s JUST frustrating)

WoL was a glorified Event Mode with less interesting scenarios (save for the final fight), very poor balancing (once you get a Lip’s Stick spirit there’s a clearly optimal form of play, discouraging spirit experimentation, which was basically the point of the mode to begin with) and extremely shallow design

While not Bethesda-levels, the game shipped with an unacceptable number of glitches for a Nintendo game

The online mode is among the WORST EVER for a fighting game. The GSP system actively PUNISHES you for being invested in the game, literally NOTHING about the way matchmaking works makes sense, battle arenas included (you can’t tell me that having to lose your place in line to change characters in a battle arena is anything but pure idiocy), and the online has glaring problems that could easily be solved with the most simple coding changes

The roster, while impressive, is pretty redundant in terms of design the more you look at it. The number of shared moves between, say, Incineroar and K Rool for example, is pretty disappointing.

Luigi may have gotten a decent overhaul, but other characters who have been around for a DECADE, in DESPERATE need of retooling, STILL haven’t been adequately updated. Sonic’s kit is just as uninspired and lame as it was when he was slapped together last second for Brawl (10 YEARS AGO), and the fact that 4 of the FE characters essentially have the same moveset after all this time is just sad

When you look at how much love and attention is put into someone like Joker, and then look at how neglected Ganondorf was for so long, or how neglected Sonic STILL is, you can’t argue that Sakurai’s biases aren’t reflected in how the roster was developed (and I’m not saying it’s an East over West thing, cause K Rool was totally inspired and lovingly crafted)

And you can’t argue that Sakurai can’t overhaul characters due to fan familiarity. The changes to Ganondorf’s kit not only were heavily requested for YEARS, but were UNIVERSALLY praised. 95% of people would MUCH rather their character be made more unique and interesting than kept redundant/uninspired for the sake of familiarity.

I think the issue is that, again, there’s more variety between the non-anime characters than there is among the anime characters.

How many moves do Mario, Sonic, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Kirby, Peach, and Little Mac share?

Meanwhile Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom, Lucina, Corrin, Bayonetta, and now Joker ALL have counters for their down specials. Counter fatigue is a SERIOUS thing, and for good reason.

Do we have confirmation about that “Brave is shorter than Mario” thing I mentioned before?
Let’s see if it changed or not in the datamine

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd ignore that you are cherry picking to try and make "non-anime" fighters look better but :ultlucario::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultlittlemac: also has counters. There's nothing wrong with not liking anime style if you want to justify your dislike on objective terms, I'd suggest you to make a real argument.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I'd ignore that you are cherry picking to try and make "non-anime" fighters look better but :ultlucario::ultswordfighter::ultbrawler::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultlittlemac: also has counters. There's nothing wrong with not liking anime style if you want to justify your dislike on objective terms, I'd suggest you to make a real argument.
Listing even more characters that have counters isn’t the most effective... counter (he he) to my counter fatigue argument

Are you arguing that that most of the anime sword characters don’t have an incredible amount of design overlap, moreso than the mascot/niche characters?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are you arguing that that most of the anime sword characters don’t have an incredible amount of design overlap, moreso than the mascot/niche characters?
Yes. Brawlers/non-anime also share a lot of moves (overhead kicks, sex kicks, dropkicks etc) and they are just as likely to have clones.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I wonder if there are more persona spirits than the handfull we saw in the direct. If those are the only spirits, I dont think a Rare spirit board will happen. Banjo spirits would take clear priority and its not hard to create 12-16 spirits from Banjo kazooie. It wouldnt make too much sense to have 5 banjo spirits, then say 2 from jet force, 2 from blast corps, 2 from battletoads etc. But if we get like 25 persona spirits, then I could easily see a Rare spirit board happening. Maybe even make it an "Xbox" Spirit Board to account for Halo and Minecraft.

Considering Tails and Knuckles were thrown into this presentation along with the Persona costumes (both Sonic and Persona being owned by Sega), I think it would be safe to assume if Banjo gets in we would see outfits for Chief and Steve.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
  1. Joker and Chrom got almost nothing but positive reception, so I think you are mistaking your own feelings for the whole fanbase's.
What? No Chrom still received a ton of FE hate when he was revealed and the biggest reaction was just meh at him being in rather than universal praise.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think way too many fighters have counters in fairness.

I wonder if there are more persona spirits than the handfull we saw in the direct. If those are the only spirits, I dont think a Rare spirit board will happen. Banjo spirits would take clear priority and its not hard to create 12-16 spirits from Banjo kazooie. It wouldnt make too much sense to have 5 banjo spirits, then say 2 from jet force, 2 from blast corps, 2 from battletoads etc. But if we get like 25 persona spirits, then I could easily see a Rare spirit board happening. Maybe even make it an "Xbox" Spirit Board to account for Halo and Minecraft.

Considering Tails and Knuckles were thrown into this presentation along with the Persona costumes (both Sonic and Persona being owned by Sega), I think it would be safe to assume if Banjo gets in we would see outfits for Chief and Steve.
I took it less as being a Persona spirit board and more of a DLC spirit board. Kept separate as not everyone will buy the DLC and those who do will want to easily access the spirit battles that come with the DLC

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
What? No Chrom still received a ton of FE hate when he was revealed and the biggest reaction was just meh at him being in rather than universal praise.
Yeah the only reason Chrom wasn't universally hated like Corrin was because he was sandwiched between the Belmonts and King K. Rool in his reveal. I know I was rolling my eyes when he got revealed, but I got over it when Simon and K. Rool got in with him. I guarantee if he had been revealed at any other time, the outcry would've been far greater and more vocal.

I think you are demonstrably wrong, but fair enough. Agree to disagree.
That's probably for the best, I had a similar argument in the past with him about that very subject. Best to just drop it and move on lol but I agree with you...

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
All I ask is to stop adding some sort of counter or reflect into every moveset. It's getting real old real quick.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Now no one is going to say Sakurai isn't a creative genius but maybe someone new needs to start helping him make movesets. Whether it's a brawler, a sword fighter, a gunner, anime, non-anime, there's a lot of overlap everywhere.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I've noticed a few things and I'm convinced there WAS supposed to be a Direct but it fell through for one reason or another

If you've been following Nintendo's twitter you'll notice that in the past two days ish we've had: The release date for Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Box Boy, the Joker/3.0 presentation, God Eater 3, Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD release trailer, Steamworld Quest, Reign: Game of Thrones, and My Time in Portia all randomly drop on Twitter in the span of two days

Oh, also the new Amiibo too.

Take notice of the wording in the Joker presentation: "April 17th", not "Tomorrow" but "April 17th". It makes me think that this was meant to be shown off earlier in the month, but for whatever reason it didn't happen so they just dumped it all yesterday.

I guess they're saving their big guns for E3? Damn shame though, I really wanted Reggie to get one last Direct with us

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
People should really stop with this "generic anime" argument. Anime just means animation. Everybody in smash is an anime character. It's also funny that people like to complain about the Fire Emblem characters and Shulk for being too much "anime" but they never include Link, Samus, Simon, Richter or Zelda. Who are all HUMANS FROM JAPAN WITH HUMAN PROPORTIONS.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I would be very cautious about a Steve Swordfighter / Chief Gunner costume honestly (not like the Mii costumes exactly hone in on accuracy really). Not because of any chance thing (that's irrelevant to the counter argument), but because they're super well known and would drive demand for them as characters up the wazoo just by existing as costumes. Heihachi's borderline super well known, but his Mii Costume was because Sakurai didn't know how to implement him.*

Now no one is going to say Sakurai isn't a creative genius but maybe someone new needs to start helping him make movesets. Whether it's a brawler, a sword fighter, a gunner, anime, non-anime, there's a lot of overlap everywhere.
If I'd hazard a major guess, I'd give two possible reasons:

1. Cut down on development time significantly by giving character X something well tested (like a counter / reflect). You cut down on the number of bugs - likely - by doing so.
2. Resorting to old tricks mentally. I won't get too deep into Sakurai's or his staff's psycological profiles (I'm neither a psychologist nor his friend), but it's common amongst us humans to resort to stuff one's used to.

Given that, I do expect one thing:

If B-K gets in, expect a lot of complaints about, in the complainee's words, "copied attacks" headed the duo's way. The Beak Bomb's pretty much Toon Link's d-air, the roll is going to be compared to DK's roll ad naseum, several of Kazooie's pecks will have Youtubers do side-by-sides with Duck Hunt (Duo) no matter what. Etc. I don't think the eggs are safe either, as they probably have a lot of common with Belmont's cross (in terms of start up / end lag) and sharing hitstun like Falco's laser.

(*Something I disagree with given that he has three 2D games, the PS2 Soul Calibur II, SFxTand PlayStation AllStars under his belt, but it's very possible he's not played any of these.)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
1. Cut down on development time significantly by giving character X something well tested (like a counter / reflect). You cut down on the number of bugs - likely - by doing so.
2. Resorting to old tricks mentally. I won't get too deep into Sakurai's or his staff's psycological profiles (I'm neither a psychologist nor his friend), but it's common amongst us humans to resort to stuff one's used to.
Oh I agree and actually offered the exact same reasonings earlier. I was just offering a possible way to breathe some fresh air into characters by giving someone with new ideas to try and help make movesets.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
My problem doesnt really lie with the anime artstyle, but with the fact that theyre all rpg characters. Ultimate hasnt gone all gung ho on rpg characters as of now, but if we get the likes of Lloyd and Edrick in this pass ill be a bit irked. Theres so much more to gaming than just rpgs, and its my opinion that the fighter pass should reflect that. They should be represented, but not be the majority. The same goes if we got too many platform characters or fps characters or fighting game characters.

Also, all this talk of counters makes me imagine how Banjo would look if he had a counter too, haha

Top Bottom