• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So you're telling us that Japanse Smash Fans think Joker was a pick by western Smash fans when Persona 5 is a hit in Japan unlike any other part of the world? (as far as i have seen)

This is Clown World i live in i swear.

EDIT: By the way this isn't meant as an attack, im just confused as all hell.
I know. It's just dumb.
But I remember people's reactions were more like confused that Joker went over Persona 4 protagonist Bancho. He is more popular in Japan or among Persona fans in general.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Well perhaps there will be mysteries that we will never figure out, like "Jane".
Yeah. Starting to think that we're looking a little too far into the data and codenames that we have. Knowing what it says is just confusing in its own right when it starts to contradict things that we know for a fact. Once Joker is actually out, hopefully people will datamine his final stats to see how they compare to the initial stats for "Jack". But I am starting to believe that Banjo could actually be in Smash. Things seem to be looking in our favor (although the Witch stage shown in the presentation seems entirely coincidental to me, but that's just my opinion).

In other news, I literally just purchased the Fighters Pass. Seeing how much effort that Sakurai is putting into each Challenger Pack makes me hopeful that I can get excited for literally anyone that gets in.

Hush_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hushhh
Switch FC
SW-7310-0229-2822
Looking at that witch made me realize we can make spiral mountain as a stage in the mean time :,

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Hmmmm I find it strange "Jane" was deta mined to be the 6th alt for "Jack" AKA Joker & she was found with a pony tail (can't be dixie she is to small & would not be built out of jokers deta) & that predicted the female protag of P5R who is a girl with a ponytail !

If she don't show up tomarow after the update it can only mean 1 thing ! ECHO FIGHTER DLC ! there is no other explanation IMO

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Hmmmm I find it strange "Jane" was deta mined to be the 6th alt for "Jack" AKA Joker & she was found with a pony tail (can't be dixie she is to small & would not be built out of jokers deta) & that predicted the female protag of P5R who is a girl with a ponytail !

If she don't show up tomarow after the update it can only mean 1 thing ! ECHO FIGHTER DLC ! there is no other explanation IMO
To be fair we don't know the P5 girl is a female protag. Everyone assumed she was based on the Smash datamine.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, if all the love and care present in Joker and Persona 5's representation is any indication, then I think I'm going to really enjoy the other Fighter Pass characters, ESPECIALLY if Banjo-Kazooie get in!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm gonna wait till I see the 2nd dlc character to make a decision on quality. Sakurai really really REALLY loves Persona 5. So he might put more care into ioker then he would other characters. We just need to find out for sure.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'm gonna wait till I see the 2nd dlc character to make a decision on quality. Sakurai really really REALLY loves Persona 5. So he might put more care into ioker then he would other characters. We just need to find out for sure.
I guess, but I'm still remaining hopeful!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Also, in case you guys didn't catch it. Sakurai revealed a few more things about Joker:

If the battle is won using his Final Smash, it will STAY like that for the results screen:

1555473356905.png

And by inputing a certain direction on the Dpad at game set, the victory pose changes to the bus

1555473395381.png

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Also, in case you guys didn't catch it. Sakurai revealed a few more things about Joker:

If the battle is won using his Final Smash, it will STAY like that for the results screen:

View attachment 209345

And by inputing a certain direction on the Dpad at game set, the victory pose changes to the bus

View attachment 209346
This makes me hopeful that the pause music will play after banjo's victory theme

Violante

Smash Apprentice
The effort put into the character/stage is insane. If we can expect the same level of quality for the rest, this would more than revitalize B-K for me.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
E3 is going to be tense. And you just know they are going pull that "that's the end up the direct!....except for one more announcement. Take a look" **** as it transitions into a *knock knock knock* GUHUH

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I like how in the presentation for the Stage builder they show a bunch of game themed stages, Mario, Kirby, etc. Then throw generic green witch over cauldron in there in between... I know a game with a green witch.. hmmmmmmmmmm... HMMMMMMMMMM

Things are looking veeery interesting... I think the smoking gun in all this is the spirits.. Joker proves theyre coming alongside DLC fighters so them Rare spirit's are looking real good right now. Good lord please give me a Mumbo Jumbo Mii outfit.... even better if they give me anything from Jet Force Gemini for Miis PLEASE

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, did Nintendo mention anywhere about the specific time that the update will drop? Because it's officially April 17, and yet it hasn't shown up.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So, did Nintendo mention anywhere about the specific time that the update will drop? Because it's officially April 17, and yet it hasn't shown up.
It's not April 17 where I live.

Chances are, they'll drop it after midday. If they would drop it the second April 17 begun, they would've said so.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I do agree that the game representation should be diverse but the mentality of "generic swordsmen # 16 and anime character #11" needs to die.
Those comments are borne out of the frustration of lack of character diversity. Perhaps the frustration itself doesn't need to die, simply the unhealthy way it's expressed does, but then the unhealthy way the frustration is expressed by fans is a result of years of the diversity issue not being addressed as much as it should. I think that's another issue with smash entirely, which is the resentment/tribalism that forms when fan requests go largely ignored for almost 20 years.

To play devil's advocate to myself though, Nintendo (and video game history in general) seems to just have an endless well of video game icons that are swordsmen/use blades and (to a lesser extant though) have designs inspired by anime. A game that brings Nintendo characters and gaming icons together is eventually going to become redundant as the inspirations for such characters are so similar and made more apparent when they're all together in one game.

Anyways, I don't think mounting frustrations over a surplus of anime swordfighters needs to die, maybe it could just be communicated better. Then again, smash culture/fandom isn't known for it's communication skills.

Also, I stand by my comments because they're just jokes, man. The number of anime characters and swordfighters is just plain silly, so I'm poking fun. Just because I'm annoyed by it doesn't mean I'm against Joker's inclusion or don't support Isaac, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter's inclusion. The trend is stupid to me, but they're all great characters and I would be happy to have them in the game.

That's because it's entirely possible to respect the characters and their games while also making fun of the fact, that yes, they would be JRPG sword weilders #98, #99, and #100 respectively haha (just a joke).

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I understand your opinion but labeling joker as a generic anime guy is not very fair. There is a lot more to his character and the game that he came from. I am a proud supporter of joker and banjo, but I don't understand why people dislike joker just because he comes from a game with an "anime" style. I wasn't sold on P5 at all when Joker was first revealed and then I played P5 and it's a good game (in my opinion) and I'm really glad Sakurai is including interesting characters like this. Joker also doesn't really look like anyone else in Smash aside from the Bayonetta hair so I don't see how he is "generic" as his design definitely stands out from the others. Persona 5 is also a pretty big deal as it was nominated for game of the year, but it lost to Breath of the Wild at the game awards in 2017. His moveset and the game he comes from shows that he is unique. Lumping him in with all of the other anime looking characters is just like saying duck hunt and banjo kazooie are the same thing because they are both an animal duo. It just bugs me that people generalize joker as being a lame lifeless character when his origins are extremely unique. It really reminds me of how people write off Banjo for being lame without playing his games as well.

See, the issue isn’t Joker on his own. It’s Joker in the context of the Smash roster, where he very much seems like part of a pattern.

I’m not saying Persona isn’t a unique IP, or that Joker doesn’t have an incredible design, but think of it this way:

Look at Joker. Then look at Ganondorf. Then look at Wario. Then look at Ryu. In no way do these four characters look like they could inhabit the same world, or the same franchise. Their visual language is completely different.

Now look at Joker. And look at Bayonetta. And look at Corrin. And look at Chrom. Can you genuinely argue that these characters have the same variety and design differences as the former group?

I honestly don’t think it would be as hot a topic with Smash fans if there weren’t already so many FE reps, and so much redundancy among them. The echo fighter concept is still a relatively new one, which didn’t magically erase all the built-up frustrations (warranted or not) regarding the perceived overabundance of swordies that Smash fans had lived with since Smash 4.

Imagine if instead of anime-styled characters, we kept getting platformer mascots. People would have just as strong an aversion to more of those as they do currently to the anime characters.

Sakurai has been dumping a lot of extra info on Twitter right now, including this bombshell: ALL DLC fighters will have their own unique Spirit Boards that you can tackle again and again

What's this mean for us? I think this is a strong indication that the DLC WILL in fact be all third parties: They're going THIS far for themeing the DLC spirits. If we were getting another Mario character they could just dump them in the pool with the rest, but the DLC spirits are being held separately in their own special space

So imagine if you will: A Banjo Kazooie themed Spirit Board
I think this all depends on how the Joker board is handled. If it’s all Persona-related Spirits, I think that actually hurts Banjo’s chances a decent chunk. Call me cynical, I just don’t buy that Nintendo would be interested in doing an entire Spirit board dedicated purely to Banjo characters.

Now if the Joker board is all ATLUS characters, or all SEGA characters? I could see this boding well for Banjo. I could see a Microsoft-themed board, or maybe even a Rare-themed board, but definitely not just a Banjo-themed board.

HOWEVER.

That’s where the Rare spirits already in the game complicates matters.

The Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini spirits would make perfect sense on a Rare spirit board. But... why would they already be in the game’s data on launch? No Persona spirits were in the game yet, so you can’t say it had to do with Banjo being planned DLC.

Ok, well maybe they were planned for base roster, but cut.

But if Banjo was planned for base roster, then Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini wouldn’t be part of a “Rare spirit board”, because only DLC characters are getting their own spirit board.

Also, how sure are we that Brave is shorter than Mario? Cause if that’s 100% confirmed, then there’s not a snowball’s chance in Brinstar that Brave is Banjo, and we need to let that thread die ASAP.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yep, we're in for the long haul for the next DLC. Which I would have minded a whole lot more had this 3.0 Update not been as comprehensive as it seems to be. Plus, Joker's technically our second DLC character, so I'm not as starved personally.

I really expected them to show off who was coming next though. But I think you can count on the next character being at E3, they just have no reason to do a general Direct before then.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yep, we're in for the long haul for the next DLC. Which I would have minded a whole lot more had this 3.0 Update not been as comprehensive as it seems to be. Plus, Joker's technically our second DLC character, so I'm not as starved personally.

I really expected them to show off who was coming next though. But I think you can count on the next character being at E3, they just have no reason to do a general Direct before then.
it's going to be an extremely underwhelming E3 if the character does turn out to be a Dragon Quest rep I will say that much.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Witch stage: *exists*

People hurt before:
View attachment 209379
As a Skull Kid fan, chairs is something people never should have looked at. The which connection it very obvious (although I still wouldn't use it as evidence). But the colours of furniture just gave many of us Skull Kid fans a bad reputation.

I still hopes he's playable one day

osby

Smash Obsessed

Considering how much content this update will bring... I give two and a half days before people start crying drought.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Well I am shocked by Joker’s sudden reveal, but not by the lack of a character reveal. Just makes ya think, yup, two characters are next.

It will probably be Banjo and Erdrick, but don’t be surprised if it is Lloyd instead of Erdrick

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Imagine if instead of anime-styled characters, we kept getting platformer mascots. People would have just as strong an aversion to more of those as they do currently to the anime characters.
Or a more extreme example: What if we had 20 characters that were animal duos? By the time Banjo and Kazooie got included people would be salty and jaded. We'd be happy, but people with different preferences would start to really become annoyed. They might joke that smash became Animal Planet.

I'm not saying it's right, but the jokes will become less jokey and more toxic when the Smash team feels pretty complacent about their balancing of the roster and diversity starts to become stifled for years at a time.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
it's going to be an extremely underwhelming E3 if the character does turn out to be a Dragon Quest rep I will say that much.
Sure, if you're specifically expecting Banjo and don't get him. Dragon Quest could probably hit at a venue like E3 and it still wouldn't really define how the rest of the DLC will go. It's also not like Nintendo won't have a ton of other big announcements going on at E3. Banjo or someone else could very easily be saved for later because of just how many other big games and announcements are going on then.

I'm hoping the data-mines reveal something juicy
Annnnnnd we didn't even make it through the rest of the evening before people were salivating for content (Not just you, but I've seen enough of it in this thread).

Violante

Smash Apprentice
Funny thing about the Blast Corps/Jet Force names, when you think about it they're the only Rare titles that hover the Banjo-Kazooie era where you would never suspect a character inclusion to go along with them. Perhaps why whoever responsible thought it wasn't a big deal to hold on to that excess data in the final build. I think the "Rare Spirit Board" theory might be correct, because had they ever planned this and left in something like Banjo-Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day under spirit data, people would be jumping to much more extreme conclusions.

As far as the witch stage, I could go either way. It's hardly evidence, but I could see the powers that be being coy about what has yet to come in including something like that.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Those comments are borne out of the frustration of lack of character diversity. Perhaps the frustration itself doesn't need to die, simply the unhealthy way it's expressed does, but then the unhealthy way the frustration is expressed by fans is a result of years of the diversity issue not being addressed as much as it should. I think that's another issue with smash entirely, which is the resentment/tribalism that forms when fan requests go largely ignored for almost 20 years.

To play devil's advocate to myself though, Nintendo (and video game history in general) seems to just have an endless well of video game icons that are swordsmen/use blades and (to a lesser extant though) have designs inspired by anime. A game that brings Nintendo characters and gaming icons together is eventually going to become redundant as the inspirations for such characters are so similar and made more apparent when they're all together in one game.

Anyways, I don't think mounting frustrations over a surplus of anime swordfighters needs to die, maybe it could just be communicated better. Then again, smash culture/fandom isn't known for it's communication skills.

Also, I stand by my comments because they're just jokes, man. The number of anime characters and swordfighters is just plain silly, so I'm poking fun. Just because I'm annoyed by it doesn't mean I'm against Joker's inclusion or don't support Isaac, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter's inclusion. The trend is stupid to me, but they're all great characters and I would be happy to have them in the game.

That's because it's entirely possible to respect the characters and their games while also making fun of the fact, that yes, they would be JRPG sword weilders #98, #99, and #100 respectively haha (just a joke).
Ok but see the mentality of generic swordsmen or generic anime characters does need to die because it's not indicative of the actual problem you are suggesting. And while you might be joking others absolutely are not. First off saying there's an endless well of sword fighters works just as well for cartoon characters. There is an endless well of those as well to draw from and have been for Smash yet no one complains about cartoon fatigue. Next, anime doesn't actually mean anything in a Smash context. All the anime characters are done in a similar style as every human character. Yet no one is calling Snake or Zero Suit Samus more anime fighters yet they are in the exact same style. It's clearly not about anime characters having similar movesets as every character with a sword or is anime is different from each other unless fully meant to be an exact copy of a previous character with a different skin. Joker is being called generic anime which aside from the way Sakurai does human faces he looks nothing like anyone else and has a moveset unlike anyone yet. There's no line. Just because a game has an anime influence means nothing to how they are represented or look in Smash. The real problem isn't that there are generic anime sword fighters it's Sakurai not taking fans feelings into consideration and skewing the roster more towards his preference than ours. The over showing of Pokemon and Fire Emblem and characters people didn't vote for like PP and Joker all fit into to that category but is that the main complaint? No it's "generic anime swordsmen". The mentality needs to die because all it does is write off the merits of actual characters and doesn't address a real problem. You're right that frustration doesn't need to go away it just needs to be focused on the right thing instead of fighting issues that aren't there.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Annnnnnd we didn't even make it through the rest of the evening before people were salivating for content (Not just you, but I've seen enough of it in this thread).
Sorry :/

I just consider the data-mines to be a bonus from updates. You never know what people might find. Like how they found Jokers stage hidden in a bunch of junk files.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping for 2 reveals, but expecting 1.

I could see one being a shock reveal that is made available that same day and a second that is "coming soon."

But if it's just one, that still gives them 8 months (based on their own public statment of the schedule) to release 3 characters, which seems about right I guess.

Violante

Smash Apprentice

This is a neat effect, shame that there's no other character they could retool/reuse it for. Where it would make sense. I'm sure it would save some development time...

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sorry :/

I just consider the data-mines to be a bonus from updates. You never know what people might find. Like how they found Jokers stage hidden in a bunch of junk files.
Data-mining is the absolute worst way to learn about anything though in my opinion, so I can't say I'm too personally keen to see anything from it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
MFW people keep bringing up the Witch in Stage Builder as a stealth reference to Banjo

1555482953382.png

IT'S JUST A COINCIDENCE

I know we're desperate but come on

Violante

Smash Apprentice
I would rather no leaks and no datamines, but unfortunately they're here to stay. Might as well make the most of it.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
If they really want to go all out for Banjo like they did to Joker, one of the things they should do is implement a similar thing like Snake’s codecs or Palutena’s guidance. Kazooie would constantly make fun of every character while Banjo tries to come up with compliments. Plus, no voice acting required. All you need is incoherent mumbling and funny writing with a western wit to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom