• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
My list consists of:
Banjo-Kazooie
Sans
Steve?
Shovel Knight
Paper Mario
Gengar (never gonna happen)
Feraligatr (never gonna happen)
Max - Shining Force (definitely never gonna happen)
Don’t care
Don’t care
Don’t care
Don’t care
Don’t care
Don’t care
Don’t care

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I love Banjo-Kazooie as much as the next guy, but that last paragraph proves you’re not being cautious: you’re expecting them. Just like we were totally gonna get Banjo-Threeie last year. Just like Banjo was gonna be revealed at the Game Awards since that was his anniversary.

Banjo is still my most wanted, but once again you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.
That's the territory that comes with being a Banjo-Kazooie fan, Were used to it, I wasn't born yesterday, If you read my last post before this one and my saying for this entire Banjo-Kazooie campaign is to be "Cautiously Optimistic" about their potential inclusion in Smash.

Even when the whole "Grinch Leak" fiasco happened, Most fans thought it was real and As legit as it looked you had to be a complete fool if you thought that was 100% real, Even I somewhat bought into it, But wasn't surprised that it turned out to be fake and took it well for the most part, You should have seen some other users who were completely pissed off because they went "All in" on the leak only to be massively dissapointed.

Those Rare spirits in the data mine didn't just magically show up there for no reason, There has to be a good reason why it's in there, If someone were to ask you why they were in there, My last paragraph in my previous post would be my most logical and reasonable explanation.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Rex has an unmistakably cheesy accent and is a bit hot-blooded...
The entire game is dubbed in scottish/irish. It was super weird for me, at first, but it's kind of endeering. Just not to Rex in particular, IMO.
As for hot-blooded, *shrug*, I never saw him as much more so than your average JRPG protagonist but to each their own.

5. Black Shadow or Jody Summer
Is there a reason why Jody, over the rest of the F-Zero cast?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Is there a reason why Jody, over the rest of the F-Zero cast?
Three:

1. Wanted an out there pick, she fits the bill. Even in F-Zero, I imagine most go with Goroh over almost everyone else.
2. Works great as a Falcon / ZSS semi-clone or combination at least. Not hard to imagine her own attacks either - if she's half robot like her anime counterpart. Not much to pull from from the games - but every F-Zero character suffers from that.
3. She could be implemented in a lot of ways personality wise. Just like Falcon's straightforward in GX, but total camp in Smash.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
That's the territory that comes with being a Banjo-Kazooie fan, Were used to it, I wasn't born yesterday, If you read my last post before this one and my saying for this entire Banjo-Kazooie campaign is to be "Cautiously Optimistic" about their potential inclusion in Smash.

Even when the whole "Grinch Leak" fiasco happened, Most fans thought it was real and As legit as it looked you had to be a complete fool if you thought that was 100% real, Even I somewhat bought into it, But wasn't surprised that it turned out to be fake and took it well for the most part, You should have seen some other users who were completely pissed off because they went "All in" on the leak only to be massively dissapointed.

Those Rare spirits in the data mine didn't just magically show up there for no reason, There has to be a good reason why it's in there, If someone were to ask you why they were in there, My last paragraph in my previous post would be my most logical and reasonable explanation.
The problem is that we (note I said we) tend to ignore hard evidence against our points. The 2 Rare spirit files (Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps) are trademarked only by Nintendo of Japan. While not a straight deconfirmation, we as fans should pretend like it is as to not get our hopes up.

We have no right to get upset that something doesn’t happen, when we were never promised that in the first place.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Apparently, the deal in the transfer to Microsoft was that ANY Rare made characters or properties that weren’t directly tied with Nintendo franchises would be withheld by Rare in the transfer.

Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps are most certainly included in the Rare side of the deal because they showed up in Rare Replay, so it’s telling that they were even considered for the game. It’s likely that, with the rumors of Minecraft content, other deals alongside that content was being worked out and just didn’t come to fruition in time. One big thing to note is that Minecraft content can mean ANYTHING so it could still be in the future that Minecraft gets just a spirit or it could get a full fledged spirit. Who knows? All we do know is that two RARE properties were in there and not Minecraft. Odd.

14 characters? Easy...

1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Grunty
3. Bottles
4. Mumbo Jumbo
5. Klungo
6. Humba Wumba
7. Weldar
8. Mr. Patch
9. Jamjars
10. Boggy
11. Brentilda
12. LOG
13. Trophy Thomas (Incineroar clone)
14. Conga (DK clone)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll do my say of 14 slots. Very Biased, no echoes though. This is basically what I'd add if I was in charge

1. Skull Kid. I take pride in being the TC of the Skull Kid support group. I was never a bandwagoner. I've wanted him for a very long time as my most wanted.
2. Bandana Dee, he really should have been in already. Kirby is one of my favourite franchises and it's missing it 4th star. It's missing a lot of modern stuff.
3. Banjo and Kazooie , I miss this duo. I still associate them as Nintendo characters, probably why they're the only third parties I actively want
4. Rex and Pyra, I love Xenoblade as well. And saddens me it got barely anything new this time around. I'd love to see what Sakurai would do.
5. King Boo. I'm hesitant to include more Mario characters since I feel it already has enough, but one more I guess wouldn't hurt and I really like King Boo. He'd be amazing, sorry Captain Toad
6. Dixie Kong, like Bandana Dee, except I have less connection to dkc. But I feel she should be in
7. Daroach, Probably the most unlikely one here. But I'd love it. I really want more Kirby stuff and a lot of it. Plus Squeak Squad means a lot to me
8. Dark Matter. As I said, I want more Kirby stuff. And when it comes to villains. The Dark Matter Swordsman is definitely my choice, I like Daroach more but he's an anti hero.
9. Midna. I also want more Zelda content. I'd rather Impa honestly, but I think she fits better as an echo.
10. Isaac. For his fans. He has good fans
11. Spring Man. New Nintendo ip
12. Baby Mario, another Yoshi character, he'd have other Babies as alts
13. Screw it, Captain Toad
14. Savvy Stylist

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Apparently, the deal in the transfer to Microsoft was that ANY Rare made characters or properties that weren’t directly tied with Nintendo franchises would be withheld by Rare in the transfer.

Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps are most certainly included in the Rare side of the deal because they showed up in Rare Replay, so it’s telling that they were even considered for the game. It’s likely that, with the rumors of Minecraft content, other deals alongside that content was being worked out and just didn’t come to fruition in time. One big thing to note is that Minecraft content can mean ANYTHING so it could still be in the future that Minecraft gets just a spirit or it could get a full fledged spirit. Who knows? All we do know is that two RARE properties were in there and not Minecraft. Odd.
Rare actually initially retained some of the DK64 characters, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky, K. Lumsy, Banana Fairies and possibly some others, while Nintendo initially retained Banjo. They basically did a swap.

Poor deal on Nintendo's part really, as they've never used any of the DK64 cast and Banjo would have been far more valuable. And it's not like Rare/Microsoft were going to make a Lanky Kong game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The problem is that we (note I said we) tend to ignore hard evidence against our points. The 2 Rare spirit files (Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps) are trademarked only by Nintendo of Japan. While not a straight deconfirmation, we as fans should pretend like it is as to not get our hopes up.

We have no right to get upset that something doesn’t happen, when we were never promised that in the first place.
Your absolutely right about that last part, That's why I always say "Cautiously Optimistic" Banjo-Kazooie has a lot of things going in their favor at the moment that makes us hopeful, But at the same time nothing is ever a guarantee when it comes to those remaining roster spots.

For all we know the remaining DLC characters can be "Out of Left Field" Characters that no one would of thought of or ask for.

No one is safe.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We doing top 14s now? That's an odd number but here we go.
1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Dixie Kong
4. Porky
5. Dr. Robotnik
6. Gruntilda
7. 9-Volt
8. Captain Syrup
9. Black Shadow
10.Erdrick
11. Skull Kid
12.Tingle
13.Pig Ganon
14.Mach Rider
You have Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, and Porky in your top 6 just like me. You're a man of great taste.
14 characters? Easy...

1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Grunty
3. Bottles
4. Mumbo Jumbo
5. Klungo
6. Humba Wumba
7. Weldar
8. Mr. Patch
9. Jamjars
10. Boggy
11. Brentilda
12. LOG
13. Trophy Thomas (Incineroar clone)
14. Conga (DK clone)
****! This man is going all in wanting pretty much the whole Banjo cast. :pimp:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Three:

1. Wanted an out there pick, she fits the bill. Even in F-Zero, I imagine most go with Goroh over almost everyone else.
2. Works great as a Falcon / ZSS semi-clone or combination at least. Not hard to imagine her own attacks either - if she's half robot like her anime counterpart. Not much to pull from from the games - but every F-Zero character suffers from that.
3. She could be implemented in a lot of ways personality wise. Just like Falcon's straightforward in GX, but total camp in Smash.
Good to see someone else that wants Jody. :bobomb:

Your absolutely right about that last part, That's why I always say "Cautiously Optimistic" Banjo-Kazooie has a lot of things going in their favor at the moment that makes us hopeful, But at the same time nothing is ever a guarantee when it comes to those remaining roster spots.

For all we know the remaining DLC characters can be "Out of Left Field" Characters that no one would of thought of or ask for.

No one is safe.
Exactly. Though I'm of the view that the unexpected characters we may get can be of the "pleasant surprise" type and still get people to like the idea of fighter passes. If more DLC comes, that increases the chance of B-K being considered, even if only slightly.

I just hope that there are no angry vocal minorities like in the Waluigi fanbase. Also, ignore the awful mocking from B-K hater bandwagoners.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Rare actually initially retained some of the DK64 characters, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky, K. Lumsy, Banana Fairies and possibly some others, while Nintendo initially retained Banjo. They basically did a swap.

Poor deal on Nintendo's part really, as they've never used any of the DK64 cast and Banjo would have been far more valuable. And it's not like Rare/Microsoft were going to make a Lanky Kong game.
Hindsight is always 20 / 20. I think it's more a case of poor timing since Nintendo chose to go with the DK Bongos for the GameCube era (new way to play, you know, the Miyamoto way). And with DK64 never being a huge showstopper (not that poorly recieved AFAIK, but still) it was probably easier to tap into the Country well.

And at the time it made a lot of sense that, if you're going to sell something like Rare you disentangle any loose ends, or else you have the nightmare that is DK without a lot of his supporting cast. Not to say Rare and Nintendo were on poor terms (in fact, they were on pretty good terms overall) - however, both Rare and Nintendo were okay with the buyout at the time.

In the end, Hanlon's Razor applies here: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." That is, neither party knowing how to handle their characters. Microsoft didn't know how to handle Rare (and Banjo by extension), Nintendo didn't know how to use the DK64 cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hindsight is always 20 / 20. I think it's more a case of poor timing since Nintendo chose to go with the DK Bongos for the GameCube era (new way to play, you know, the Miyamoto way). And with DK64 never being a huge showstopper (not that poorly recieved AFAIK, but still) it was probably easier to tap into the Country well.

And at the time it made a lot of sense that, if you're going to sell something like Rare you disentangle any loose ends, or else you have the nightmare that is DK without a lot of his supporting cast. Not to say Rare and Nintendo were on poor terms (in fact, they were on pretty good terms overall) - however, both Rare and Nintendo were okay with the buyout at the time.

In the end, Hanlon's Razor applies here: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." That is, neither party knowing how to handle their characters. Microsoft didn't know how to handle Rare (and Banjo by extension), Nintendo didn't know how to use the DK64 cast.
With any luck, if anybody knows what to do with the DK Crew, it's Retro.

Microsoft on the other hand doesn't seem to HAVE anyone that can reasonably use Banjo anymore...Although they did get people that can use the Battletoads.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

DpQlPleWkAsuQom.jpg
DpLzAVXW4AASoSN.jpg

On paper it does kind of suck since Banjo-Kazooie is an IP with a lot of untapped potential and as much as I love the DK Crew, Nintendo has rarely utilised them which also sucks.

I think Nintendo not only did the trade to show good faith in Rare (Letting Rare keep their original creation in exchange Nintendo kept the creations that are associated with own IP that is Donkey Kong) But Nintendo is also very protective of their own IP's especially one that is old and as iconic as Donkey Kong (which when you think about it was really their first and oldest "Significant" mascot from their cast of characters)

I don't think Nintendo would like the idea of Microsoft/ Rare owning other "Kong's" that are associated with their own franchise, Even though I don't think that Microsoft would of used them, But I guess Nintendo just wanted to play it on the safe side.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
With any luck, if anybody knows what to do with the DK Crew, it's Retro.

Microsoft on the other hand doesn't seem to HAVE anyone that can reasonably use Banjo anymore...Although they did get people that can use the Battletoads.
It's a shame, yea, then again:

If a Banjo sequel happens, the fanbase WILL expect it to be a 3-D collect-a-thon. Nothing else. Or you have a section of the fanbase screaming bloody murder (see: Nuts and Bolts) at the slightest thing and change. Thing is though, a Banjo-Threeie will be huge project alone (9-10 different worlds at least, around 100 Jiggies to collect, and that's not getting into the other collectibles. Oh and at least HD if not 4K visuals across the board.) and probably a risky one. Threeie's name alone implies it will follow the standard Kazooie and Tooie set, as well as learn what worked in Yooka-Laylee (and didn't).

Also, at this point there's been a ton of changes to the Open World formula. The Assassin's Creed series is 12 years old today, older than the B-K series was when Nuts and Bolts came out. There needs to be changes, but it's like walking on a tightrope. For example, one of my biggest pet peeves in Kazooie and Tooie are the standard enemy AI. Not only annoying, but also really simple AI (notice you -> Attack you). Trust me, I have the Grunty Industry enemies burned into my memory forever (HAAAAAAIIIIII!). If a Banjo-Threeie is to be developed, the enemies need to have much more complex AI patterns, behaviors and less annoying voice lines IMHO. Would help with coming up with new Jiggies, but also means more money thrown into the AI engine.

Can it still be done? Yes, my point is that Microsoft needs a competent development team and assurances that it will be better than Yooka-Laylee. Not to say Yooka-Laylee failed - it didn't - it didn't revolutionize the platformer genre though, and that's the key in Microsoft's eyes. The only 3D platformer series that's really safe is Mario (perhaps AC, but it's shakier with that), and Nintendo has built and maintained good will for over 20 years.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
View attachment 198632View attachment 198633
On paper it does kind of suck since Banjo-Kazooie is an IP with a lot of untapped potential and as much as I love the DK Crew, Nintendo has rarely utilised them which also sucks.

I think Nintendo not only did the trade to show good faith in Rare (Letting Rare keep their original creation in exchange Nintendo kept the creations that are associated with own IP that is Donkey Kong) But Nintendo is also very protective of their own IP's especially one that is old and as iconic as Donkey Kong (which when you think about it was really their first and oldest "Significant" mascot from their cast of characters)

I don't think Nintendo would like the idea of Microsoft/ Rare owning other "Kong's" that are associated with their own franchise, Even though I don't think that Microsoft would of used them, But I guess Nintendo just wanted to play it on the safe side.
In a way it wouldn't have been much different to Square retaining Geno, Mallow and other SMRPG characters if Microsoft had kept those DK characters (aside from MS being a competitor). I wonder what the scope of Nintendo would have looked like had they retained the Banjo IP.

I think without a doubt we'd have Banjo, Grunty and possibly Mumbo in Smash at the very least as playable characters.

****! This man is going all in wanting pretty much the whole Banjo cast. :pimp:
Gotta aim high! ;)

Seriously, my list would look something like:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong
3. Bomberman
4. Rayman
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. One of Eggman/Robotnik, Knuckles or Tails
7. Bandanna Dee
8. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
9. Rash (Battletoads) or Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
10. Bub and Bob (Bubble Bobble)
11. Marco (Metal Slug)
12. One of Impa, Ganon or Skull Kid
13. Captain Toad or Waluigi
14. Andy (Advance Wars)

HM: Rex, Spyro, Crono, Geno and Master Chief.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
You know, I haven't given my top 14 picks yet. Let me do that:

1) Banjo-Kazooie
2) Rex & Pyra
3) Chorus Kids
4) Decidueye / Sceptile / Gardevoir / Gen 3 Pokémon Trainer
5) Mallo (Pushmo)
6) Amaterasu
7) Phoenix Wright
8) AiAi
9) Qbby
10) Glover
11) Sora
12) Rayman
13) Spyro
14) Crash

Honorable mentions: Isaac, Krystal, Bomberman, Bandana Dee, Geno

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
This is the thing Microsoft are sharing at GDC. It's called Microsoft Game Stack and it is available on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation. It's just a bunch of Microsoft Services and development software bundled and marketed towards game developers. It mentions mixer, Xbox Live, Azure and DirectX, but I don't know if DirectX is coming to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and other platforms. I do know PS4 is DirectX 11.1 feature compatible. If anything it fits I line with Microsoft's original vision of providing development tools for consoles, like the Dreamcast. If anything I believe the first steps to get XCloud on every platform especially that the online services is the main focus.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
My top 14 would be:

Banjo & Kazooie
Dixie Kong
Piggy Ganon
Dovahkiin
Warrior of Light
Black Mage
Pico
King Wart
Leon (Star Fox)
Bub n Bob
Vaati
Geno
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot

I didn't include any assist trophies.. had I, my list would have included Shovel Knight and Knuckles in my top 5....

In truth it was hard for me to come up with 14 lol Banjo is my last REAL want. :ultyoshi: and :ultkrool: are my all time favorite's Banjo would give me my top 3 favorite game characters of all time and I would be more than content

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is the thing Microsoft are sharing at GDC. It's called Microsoft Game Stack and it is available on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation. It's just a bunch of Microsoft Services and development software bundled and marketed towards game developers. It mentions mixer, Xbox Live, Azure and DirectX, but I don't know if DirectX is coming to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and other platforms. I do know PS4 is DirectX 11.1 feature compatible. If anything it fits I line with Microsoft's original vision of providing development tools for consoles, like the Dreamcast. If anything I believe the first steps to get XCloud on every platform especially that the online services is the main focus.
Speaking of the GDC, it's set to start tomorrow and last up to Friday. Don't know if anything will happen there, if not, details will be saved for E3.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So um, this happened.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot.98257/page-248#post-18928784

some stuff coming to the Switch 'at least one' ... i mean ... it wasn't even possible years ago, cant wait to see the reaction here.
It wasnt possible, like seeing Mario in a PlayStation console.
So for those who don't know, king zell is an insider that hangs around ResetERA with a mostly reliable track record. Just recently he leaked the date of the last Nintendo Direct (Feb 13), as well as the existence of Mario Maker 2, Box Boy, and a new 2D Zelda (which ended up surfacing as the Link's Awakening remake).

However, I say "mostly" because there's been a few small things he wasn't exactly correct about, for example he also said that Metroid Prime Trilogy would "probably" show up at the Febuary Direct, which didn't exactly come to fruition. So personally (after being burned by certain previous rumors...) I'd take this with a grain of salt, for now. Still, if it does happen, I really can't imagine it being anything but some sort of big name Microsoft IP like Halo. It may not be Banjo, but if Microsoft and Nintendo are really doing this then perhaps this could open the door for other collaborations...

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So um, this happened.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-speculation-ot.98257/page-248#post-18928784

So for those who don't know, king zell is an insider that hangs around ResetERA with a mostly reliable track record. Just recently he leaked the date of the last Nintendo Direct (Feb 13), as well as the existence of Mario Maker 2, Box Boy, and a new 2D Zelda (which ended up surfacing as the Link's Awakening remake).

However, I say "mostly" because there's been a few small things he wasn't exactly correct about, for example he also said that Metroid Prime Trilogy would "probably" show up at the Febuary Direct, which didn't exactly come to fruition. So personally (after being burned by certain previous rumors...) I'd take this with a grain of salt, for now. Still, if it does happen, I really can't imagine it being anything but some sort of big name Microsoft IP like Halo. It may not be Banjo, but if Microsoft and Nintendo are really doing this then perhaps this could open the door for other collaborations...
I can't wait till the fox from Super Lucky's Tale gets in smash. :4pacman:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So um, this happened.

I mean, doesn't "probably" usually mean "maybe, maybe not?". I'd say that's not inaccurate.

In case this latest claim is true in some way, Battletoads, yo.

So um, this happened.

However, I say "mostly" because there's been a few small things he wasn't exactly correct about, for example he also said that Metroid Prime Trilogy would "probably" show up at the Febuary Direct, which didn't exactly come to fruition. So personally (after being burned by certain previous rumors...) I'd take this with a grain of salt, for now. Still, if it does happen, I really can't imagine it being but some sort of big name Microsoft IP like Halo. It may not be Banjo, but if Microsoft and Nintendo are really doing this then perhaps this could open the door for other collaborations...
There obviously seems to be something big going on between the two companies with all the rumors, but it’s frusteating that none of the rumors have said anything about Banjo. I think one or two mentioned Rare games and Rare Reply, but other than that it’s nothing but Ori, and Cuphead, and Scalebound, and Master Chief collection, etc etc

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So um, this happened.

'Not possible, like Mario on PlayStation'

.....'Sweats profusely'.....This is giving me the vapors.

That line right there is giving me big hopes for what's to come.

I could see Rare Replay or MCC. Those make the most sense for that sort of wording he used.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There obviously seems to be something big going on between the two companies with all the rumors, but it’s frusteating that none of the rumors have said anything about Banjo. I think one or two mentioned Rare games and Rare Reply, but other than that it’s nothing but Ori, and Cuphead, and Scalebound, and Master Chief collection, etc etc
Honestly, if it's meant to be top-secret, it makes sense to just show the more mainstream stuff that modern audiences reasonably know of, and fiercely hide the rest for huge events, when ready.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Can someone explain why it'd be worth getting hopes up about Banjo from what Zell said, because it seems really vague to me?

Can someone explain why it'd be worth getting hopes up about Banjo from what Zell said, because it seems really vague to me?
It seems that with Nintendo and Microsoft working so closely together according to these rumors, there’s absolutely no reason now that Banjo can’t happen

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It seems that with Nintendo and Microsoft working so closely together according to these rumors, there’s absolutely no reason now that Banjo can’t happen
Even if it's not related to Banjo, something big's going to happen with Microsoft. Zell seems like he knows full well not to spill the beans about any specific hints, as even that would compromise the surprise and end up with Microsoft suits hunting him down.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I will attempt a list that does not include Assist Trophies or Spirits

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Scorpion
3. Jill Valentine
4. Joanna Dark
5. Doom Guy
6.Crash Bandicoot
7. Grunty
8. Lloyd
9. Cron0
10. Conker
11. Sora
12. Erdrick
13. Earthworm Jim
14. Steve

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Even if it's not related to Banjo, something big's going to happen with Microsoft. Zell seems like he knows full well not to spill the beans about any specific hints, as even that would compromise the surprise and end up with Microsoft suits hunting him down.
Plus Zell's got a good track record on direct dates. If he specifically said "Something like Mario on xbox" then it may be in reference to the interview where Phil talked about Battletoads and brought up Banjo for Smash unprompted and unprovoked.

SKX31

Smash Master

And Master Chief or Steve getting something big only helps Banjo-Kazooie down the line. Which is why I was very open with the Microsoft picks in my Newcomer list: Microsoft have a lot of flexibility with potential Smash picks. Two characters that the mainstream recognizes and a niche* fan favorite in Banjo. Many companies envy that position.

If Master Chief or Steve gets in first, nothing is stopping Banjo from getting in second. Does it sound like a huge bummer to those who invest so much emotionally into a character like Banjo-Kazooie? Yea, but things don't always go what one wants.

Plus Zell's got a good track record on direct dates. If he specifically said "Something like Mario on xbox" then it may be in reference to the interview where Phil talked about Battletoads and brought up Banjo for Smash unprompted and unprovoked.
I'm urging caution since we're talking about Microsoft. The PC developer and pretty much the reason the Internet is what it is (through both good and bad. Don't remind me of the IE6 days - I was a dumb 12 year old then). Any really big cooperation between Nintendo and Microsoft - like a Microsoft character in Smash - will have the media suddenly looking at Smash. I'm guarenteeing you, big places like New York Times and Washington Post loudly proclaiming "Microsoft and Nintendo working together - [Insert Microsoft character here] fighting against Super Mario!" Pretty much everyone will catch a glimpse of those first few screen shots, because of what it represents. Forget just the internet, there are good chances that many workplaces etc. will talk about it if it happens.

It's that big. I've been using tons of bold for that reason.

That puts tons of pressure into Microsoft, and the big reason why Banjo's in this weird situation. Banjo's going to fly off the store shelves, Master Chief or Steve are going to sell much faster than Banjo because they're characters the mainstream recognize without further introduction. I'm doubting that Banjo's Microsoft's first pick almost purely because of that. Phil probably knows this.

But Phil knows the demand from hardcore Banjo fans. If Master Chief or Steve gets in, Microsoft and Phil can use that to springboard Banjo into Smash. Just like Snake helped fan favorite Simon.

It's not the end of the world if Banjo's not the first Microsoft character in Smash. It's just a really weird situation for all three characters, but Banjo especially. The duo's unlucky to be "Popular in the Video Game sphere" and not "So popular literally everyone recognizes them." like Master Chief and Steve.

*(Niche compared to the mainstream - still niche in the definite sense)

Last edited:
And Master Chief or Steve getting something big only helps Banjo-Kazooie down the line. Which is why I was very open with the Microsoft picks in my Newcomer list: Microsoft have a lot of flexibility with potential Smash picks. Two characters that the mainstream recognizes and a niche* fan favorite in Banjo. Many companies envy that position.

If Master Chief or Steve gets in first, nothing is stopping Banjo from getting in second. Does it sound like a huge bummer to those who invest so much emotionally into a character like Banjo-Kazooie? Yea, but things don't always go what one wants.

I'm urging caution since we're talking about Microsoft. The PC developer and pretty much the reason the Internet is what it is (through both good and bad. Don't remind me of the IE6 days - I was a dumb 12 year old then). Any really big cooperation between Nintendo and Microsoft - like a Microsoft character in Smash - will have the media suddenly looking at Smash. I'm guarenteeing you, big places like New York Times and Washington Post loudly proclaiming "Microsoft and Nintendo working together - [Insert Microsoft character here] fighting against Super Mario!" Pretty much everyone will catch a glimpse of those first few screen shots, because of what it represents. Forget just the internet, there are good chances that many workplaces etc. will talk about it if it happens.

That puts tons of pressure into Microsoft, and the big reason why Banjo's in this weird situation. Banjo's going to fly off the store shelves, Master Chief or Steve are going to sell much faster than Banjo because they're characters the mainstream recognize without further introduction. I'm doubting that Banjo's Microsoft's first pick almost purely because of that. Phil probably knows this.

But Phil knows the demand from hardcore Banjo fans. If Master Chief or Steve gets in, Microsoft and Phil can use that to springboard Banjo into Smash. Just like Snake helped fan favorite Simon.

It's not the end of the world if Banjo's not the first Microsoft character in Smash. It's just a really weird situation for all three characters, but Banjo especially. The duo's unlucky to be "Popular in the Video Game sphere" and not "So popular literally everyone recognizes them." like Master Chief and Steve.

In Banjo’s defense, he has one big important thing going for him right now: 90s nostalgia. We’re in the middle of a very 80s and 90s nostalgic era. Halo and Minecraft may be bigger franchises, but seeing a once-beloved Nintendo character finally returning to a Nintendo system via the biggest crossover franchise ever would be a much bigger news story to the target audience, not only because of the 90s nostalgia but also because it would be said nostalgic 90s character’s triumphant return.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Banjo is mainstream... He hasn't had a game in a while but he's still an icon of his era, just like Mega Man was of the NES. It's how a spiritual successor can get fully funded within mere minutes based on the value Banjo still has to this day.

Top Bottom