• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I like N&B, but I would prefer a real Banjo-Threeie.

There is something in N&B that I have a problem with, though, but I could be remembering it wrong; I just remember Banjo's personality being different, sometimes he seemed rude or snarky like Kazooie. He may have sometimes been sarcastic in the original games, but not as bad as how it seemed a few times/sometimes in N&B; he even got mad at Kazooie for her behavior sometimes in the original games.
Yeah, that's because Leigh Loveday did a lot more writing for N&B than for the prior games. Leigh's portrayal of Banjo is inconsistent and more snarky and cynical. It's not really in-line with how Banjo is. In B-K, he isn't really snarky at all, and he shows to be quite the opposite of cynical. He's rather enthusiastic about helping people despite Kazooie's bemoaning of fetch quests and his own laziness. In B-T, he's a little bit snarkier and a bit more cynical, but not by much. The game generally is a bit darker than B-K, and I feel like that was just a natural result of it. He's still enthused, even if a bit of a bum, and keeps Kazooie in line. That said, I definitely remember a few moments like with Big Al's burgers, wherein he kinda poked at him a teeny bit. It wasn't much, but it was there.

In N&B, however, it was in excess. It seemed to kinda be his entire personality. Cynical, dark humor and poking at things at the game's and its characters' own expenses is pretty common Rare comedy. That being said, it was too heavy-handed on Banjo's part. He's kinda supposed to be the humble, wholesome offset of that, wherein Kazooie embodies it. It's what makes them such an interesting duo. They're very different, but they also balance each other out.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
As much as I really like Nuts & Bolts, the writing and overall tone of it just feels really depressing. It’s like Rare knew they would be making nothing but Kinect games afterwards.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'd love some of the themes from Nuts n' Bolts in Smash! Especially Grapplin' with Grunty (Grunty Challenges), that was a damn good orchestral remix of Gruntilda's Lair. And I'd be open to some Spirits from Nuts n' Bolts, at least of characters exclusive to that game, like Trophy Thomas or Piddles. I would prefer other Spirits of the big important characters be based on their appearances from Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's because Leigh Loveday did a lot more writing for N&B than for the prior games. Leigh's portrayal of Banjo is inconsistent and more snarky and cynical. It's not really in-line with how Banjo is. In B-K, he isn't really snarky at all, and he shows to be quite the opposite of cynical. He's rather enthusiastic about helping people despite Kazooie's bemoaning of fetch quests and his own laziness. In B-T, he's a little bit snarkier and a bit more cynical, but not by much. The game generally is a bit darker than B-K, and I feel like that was just a natural result of it. He's still enthused, even if a bit of a bum, and keeps Kazooie in line. That said, I definitely remember a few moments like with Big Al's burgers, wherein he kinda poked at him a teeny bit. It wasn't much, but it was there.

In N&B, however, it was in excess. It seemed to kinda be his entire personality. Cynical, dark humor and poking at things at the game's and its characters' own expenses is pretty common Rare comedy. That being said, it was too heavy-handed on Banjo's part. He's kinda supposed to be the humble, wholesome offset of that, wherein Kazooie embodies it. It's what makes them such an interesting duo. They're very different, but they also balance each other out.
I believe the reason they gave for Banjo being different was because he had let himself go, physically and mentally. He wanted the adventure even less than he did in the forst and second games.
Let me be clear, though, I am NOT condoning this new personality. I didn't like it either, and I'm sure no upstanding Banjo fan does either.
I'd have no problem with Nuts and Bolts music making it into the game; I just wouldn't want Banjo's stage, design, or move-set to be based on it. (Spirits, I'm not sure about; for minor characters, or characters who debuted in that game, I'd probably be fine with it, but I'd prefer major characters getting their artwork from the original games)
I dunno, with a bit of a graphical update, I think Banjoland would make a swell stage.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I believe the reason they gave for Banjo being different was because he had let himself go, physically and mentally. He wanted the adventure even less than he did in the forst and second games.
Let me be clear, though, I am NOT condoning this new personality. I didn't like it either, and I'm sure no upstanding Banjo fan does either.
That makes perfect sense, yeah. That being said, I think the reason we don't like it, indeed, is that it just doesn't fit. It's also a bit whiplashy, given Banjo is seen flexing and looking rather pumped to not be in such a tripe state anymore. It's a little conflicting on which kind of narrative they're going for, and one would think that he'd even brighten up some as he gets back out there for the first time in years, whether he initially wanted it or not.

It's just weird. Your perspective makes me think that, yeah, I can see what they were going for in such a case... but it still wigs me right out.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
By the way everyone, did you know Nuts & Bolts officially ties Diddy Kong Racing into the cannon through spoken mention?

In the Grunty challenge of the game's second world, the LogBox720, Grunty threatens to have her cat, Piddles, take a... well, a piddle in the LogBox's cooling system to break the world. She claims that she'll leave if the Bear and Bird beat her in a race. Kazooie questions this, to which Banjo says: "That reminds me of something I did a long time ago, on an island with a genie and a giant pig..."
Nuts & Bolts is peppered with blink-and-you'll-miss-it references. I love it for that.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
I guess I now have to play that game, I'm curious lol (only played kazooie and tooie tbh).
If you really want to appreciate the game for what little it offers, follow these (serious) steps:
1. Learn the flying glitch and collect as many Mumbo Crates (they contain the game's vehicle parts) as you can early.
2. Read ALL dialogue. The writing is still witty, and if you're a fan of Rare, you'll enjoy the references.
3. Experiment. The challenges that let you free-build can be beaten in unconventional ways, so **** about as much as you want! (I beat a downhill coast-as-far-as-possible challenge by ditching wheels and building a sphere)
4. Make sure your speakers are turned up. The game has fantastic music that hides classic Banjo tunes within its notes. Pay attention!

And that's about it from me. The rest (and your experience) is up to you!
I never played banjo pilot.. was that one any good?
Pilot was... Unnecessary. They repurposed a Diddy Kong game, and were going to use some special graphic tricks, but scrapped the graphics plan and made the game the way it turned out. It's fine, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it to anyone trying to get into B-K

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I played Nuts and bolts for one hour, that was enough...

Later a friend filmed me burning the disc with gasoline.
A true JonTron response to a game.

As much as I really like Nuts & Bolts, the writing and overall tone of it just feels really depressing. It’s like Rare knew they would be making nothing but Kinect games afterwards.
Nuts and bolts is the Godzilla 1998 of the franchise
Hopefully we'll get Threeie pretending that never happened, much like the eventual new American Godzilla.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
A true JonTron response to a game.

Hopefully we'll get Threeie pretending that never happened, much like the eventual new American Godzilla.
I said it above, Nuts & Bolts is officially cannon to the series.
That is not to say, however, that they couldn't pull what they did in Grunty's Revenge and place Threeie before N&B

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Finally started playing through Tooie on Xbox after so long, still more of a fan of the worlds of Kazooie but I'm liking Tooie

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Nuts and Bolts is an objectively good game. It simply didn't scratch the itch fans had for a Banjo sequel.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nuts and Bolts is an objectively good game. It simply didn't scratch the itch fans had for a Banjo sequel.
A good game if it was for an original property, but it didn't do the job as an actual B-K game, yes.

Also, hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks LOG should get in as a spirit so that people can beat the stuffing out of him.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The 2 Grunts themes from Nuts and Bolts need to make it to Smash. I'd imagine LOG would get a spirit fight with a yellow ROB, and some side characters would use artwork from Nuts and Bolts like Humba or Klungo (some of these characters also have no N64 artwork, so it would be easier overall and probably look nicer). Main characters like Banjo, Kazooie, Grunty and Mumbo would probably use their official N64 artwork.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The 2 Grunts themes from Nuts and Bolts need to make it to Smash. I'd imagine LOG would get a spirit fight with a yellow ROB, and some side characters would use artwork from Nuts and Bolts like Humba or Klungo (some of these characters also have no N64 artwork, so it would be easier overall and probably look nicer). Main characters like Banjo, Kazooie, Grunty and Mumbo would probably use their official N64 artwork.
I always imagined L.O.G. would be a Yellow R.O.B. with a Color TV Game 15 assist trophy helping out.

Because isn’t Pong what L.O.G.’s face effectively is?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
A good game if it was for an original property, but it didn't do the job as an actual B-K game, yes.

Also, hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks LOG should get in as a spirit so that people can beat the stuffing out of him.
LOG was the true villain of the game

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As long as it stops short of B&K's design, I don't care if they include some N&B content. I'm sure it wouldn't make up the majority.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I never played banjo pilot.. was that one any good?
Fun Fact: Banjo Pilot was originally suppose to be Diddy Kong Pilot and compliment Gamecube's Donkey Kong Racing (Cancelled) and have the Mario cast fully crossover with the Donkey Kong cast for the 1st time, Even King K.Rool was going to be playable and have aviator goggles and pilot gear on as his costume.

But of course once Rare was bought out by Microsoft they lost the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise and had to be reworked with the Banjo-Kazooie IP thus becoming Banjo-Pilot.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Fun Fact: Banjo Pilot was originally suppose to be Diddy Kong Pilot and compliment Gamecube's Donkey Kong Racing (Cancelled) and have the Mario cast fully crossover with the Donkey Kong cast for the 1st time, Even King K.Rool was going to be playable and have aviator goggles and pilot gear on as his costume.

But of course once Rare was bought out by Microsoft they lost the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise and had to be reworked with the Banjo-Kazooie IP thus becoming Banjo-Pilot.
A similar thing like this also happened with a puzzle game called Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers. It was turned into It’s Mr. Pants and was released on GBA and mobile phones making it Mr. Pants’ only game where he’s not a mere cameo.
Speaking of mobile phones, it’s also worth noting that Grunty’s Revenge also got a mobile port along with a second version called Grunty’s Revenge Missions which contains nothing but the minigames. There’s gameplay of GR mobile on YouTube and it’s hot garbage.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617

so sad. Imagine where that IP would be today without buyouts

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ah but did you also know that Banjo Pilot was originally intended to be the first gameboy game to use motion controls and was being worked on alongside the tilt sensor GBA cartridge that would later be reworked for one of the Wario handheld games? Part of its intended cross-compatibility was its use as a controller for the accompanying gamecube title, which would have been their first motion controlled home console title. But, of course, giving rare that tech was hardly beneficial when they were nolonger partners.
From what I gather, that is why the controls of Banjo Pilot wound up so limited in the end.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ah but did you also know that Banjo Pilot was originally intended to be the first gameboy game to use motion controls and was being worked on alongside the tilt sensor GBA cartridge that would later be reworked for one of the Wario handheld games? Part of its intended cross-compatibility was its use as a controller for the accompanying gamecube title, which would have been their first motion controlled home console title. But, of course, giving rare that tech was hardly beneficial when they were nolonger partners.
From what I gather, that is why the controls of Banjo Pilot wound up so limited in the end.
Man reading all this stuff that could’ve been is frustrating. Just imagine if Rare has stayed with Nintendo, Banjo would’ve became a household name. Instead he became forgotten. Screw Microsoft

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Any word from leakers? The last few days have been a bit dull.
All that happened really was that mess with Polar Panda and even then it amounted to nothing since it was just parroting the things we already know going for Banjo. That last direct really pummeled the leakers. Even the troll leak threads on 4chan have died with 1 every few days as opposed to 3-4 a day before the direct.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Another old trailer, this time for the original game. There are 2 things that are noteworthy:

1. Note how different the logo looks.
2. When Banjo is bit by a Yum-Yum, note the talk icon is Mr. Vile.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Another old trailer, this time for the original game. There are 2 things that are noteworthy:

1. Note how different the logo looks.
2. When Banjo is bit by a Yum-Yum, note the talk icon is Mr. Vile.
I can't even see Mr. Vile without a shiver running through my body. That ****** gave me a psychological complex.

Also, oh man, that beta banner. I've seen it many times before and, gosh, do I love it. It's adorable, and I like how Kazooie's font is stylized different from Banjo's.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Is there currently any bad blood between Nintendo and rare? I don't know what their current relations are, and i don't know if that is what would keep banjo out of smash.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Is there currently any bad blood between Nintendo and rare? I don't know what their current relations are, and i don't know if that is what would keep banjo out of smash.
There is no hard feelings, according to what we know. If Indiegamerchick is credible, we're getting XBox gamepass on Switch BECAUSE Nintendo came to Rare to ask for content for possibly the N64 classic, among other things. Microsoft jumped on this chance and one thing led to another, and now this is happening... Allegedly.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
There is no hard feelings, according to what we know. If Indiegamerchick is credible, we're getting XBox gamepass on Switch BECAUSE Nintendo came to Rare to ask for content for possibly the N64 classic, among other things. Microsoft jumped on this chance and one thing led to another, and now this is happening... Allegedly.
Damn I hope this is legit. Nintendo GOING to rare is huge.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It kind of sounds familiar ,But I might of forgotten about it, makes sense though.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Gonna be completely honest with you guys… the moment I went to this place for the first time, I got so scared and jumped from my chair and was like "NOPE" and exited the level, and I avoided it for the longest because of how scared of it I was, even after knowing what was gonna happen when I went into this area again. I swear… N64 games had the scariest gaming moments for me, period.
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 10.52.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom