• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
There are always conspicuous absences of some character in Smash. Porky is Porky, he's a villain of mediocre/low demand from a three-game series with two existing characters, no titles in thirteen years, no western titles in twenty-four years, and no promise of more to come.

Him not being a spirit is not enough to outweigh all those marks against him.
As a big Mother fan, I can honestly agree with you here. Demand for Mother characters are low compared to a lot of other characters, and realistic chances of getting another rep/game is considerably low, albeit possible.

As for my dream DLC, I'd want:
  • Geno
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Conker
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Ninten/OR Porky. I'd be down with whoever, but would prefer Ninten slightly more. As much as people want to judge him based off his appearance, he is different enough from Ness and Lucas to warrant his own move-set. That's a legitimate argument, but one that people tend to dismiss because "hels too similar to Ness".

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
Might as well post my list here since everyone's doing it.

1. Banjo & Kazooie. Why do you think I'm in this thread? Banjo's been a dream of mine since Brawl and with everything between Nintendo and Microsoft, I think it's time our beloved bear and bird came back home.

2. Crash Bandicoot. I didn't grow up with Crash in the 90's (wasn't even born till 2000 lol) but I've played his remastered trilogy and knowing the rivalry with Sony and Nintendo back in the day, who wouldn't want to reenact the console wars with Crash vs. Mario vs. Sonic?

3. Dante. He's practically the one who kickstarted the hack and slash genre, heck Bayonetta wouldn't be here if it weren't for him. Plus, Bayonetta vs Dante. Come on.

4. Sora. He'd bring a lot of stuff to the table with his magic and keyblade skills. He's not just some other sword user.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fair enough. It just seems like they put together a pretty nice piece of promotional advertisement for something that was made over in the west. Maybe I’m just ignorant to how things are over there haha
For sure, and fwiw, I really have no idea what the "standard" for game commercials over there was nearly twenty years ago.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'll have a go while this is the general list your DLC choices thread.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Rayman

I don't care who the rest are, I'd finally be content with Smash with just them.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

A look back to the Japanese commercial of Banjo-Tooie. Here, the game is called Banjo-Kazooie 2
I always wonder if these high quality models they used for these commercials are somehow floating around somewhere. Banjo and Kazooie look amazing in those animated bits, and its just as I'd imagine them if they were in Melee or Brawl. They're probably the best Banjo's looked as a 3D model imo.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
If I had to make a DLC list for the rest of the 4 slots it would be

1. Banjo & Kazooie (duh)
I truly wouldn't care after that but the rest I'd like would be
2. Master Chief (Some friends want him)
3. Crash Bandicoot (Another friend wants him)
4. Hat Kid (a never ever but I think it would be cool, but I'm not crazy about her getting in like Banjo)

Turb0k

Smash Cadet
I was wondering, if Banjo had a tether grab in the form of the wrench from Nuts & Bolts would people be okay with that? I know a lot of people groan at even the mention of that game but I feel like it could be a neat addition.

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I was wondering, if Banjo had a tether grab in the form of the wrench from Nuts & Bolts would people be okay with that? I know a lot of people groan at even the mention of that game but I feel like it could be a neat addition.
I remember when we were talking about movesets a while ago that mine was using the wrench as a grab and neutral air would be a somersault attack with the wrench like in nuts and bolts.

I also feel that Microsoft would want nuts and bolts to be represented in some way if they allowed the duo to be in smash.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
As long as they have their old designs and a moveseat mostly based around their first 2 games, I'm 100% ok with a wrench tether grab

Something along the lines of this would be perfect:
8100fe71538ce73278e57e47e083519d.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I remember when we were talking about movesets a while ago that mine was using the wrench as a grab and neutral air would be a somersault attack with the wrench like in nuts and bolts.

I also feel that Microsoft would want nuts and bolts to be represented in some way if they allowed the duo to be in smash.
No idea if that "will people remember this game in X years?" joke was serious, but it would be funny if the wrench was in here as if to say "See? People remember Nuts & Bolts!".

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I joked that the wrench be used as a simple side smash attack. Don't even use it for its intended purpose, just bash people with it. I wouldn't mind it being used for a tether grab, though gun to my head i'd prefer Banjo swinging the backpack overhead and capturing people inside it while Kazooie pecks them inside as a pummel.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Do u think Nintendo and Phil will give sakurai the choice between banjo or steve?

As far as I know about dlc, Nintendo gave sakurai a "list" then he chooses from there. What would happen if both of them were on that "list"?

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I joked that the wrench be used as a simple side smash attack. Don't even use it for its intended purpose, just bash people with it. I wouldn't mind it being used for a tether grab, though gun to my head i'd prefer Banjo swinging the backpack overhead and capturing people inside it while Kazooie pecks them inside as a pummel.
While not a bad idea, I think many would prefer if Banjo-Kazooie's Forward/Side Smash was Breegull Bash.

But I also thought about the idea of Banjo beating the crap out of his oppenents with well... an actual Banjo, Just for laughs.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Banjo is as likely to use his Nuts & Bolts design/elements from the game as Pac-Man was to use anything but his classic design.

Mr. Stagg

While not a bad idea, I think many would prefer if Banjo-Kazooie's Forward/Side Smash was Breegull Bash.

But I also thought about the idea of Banjo beating the crap out of his oppenents with well... an actual Banjo, Just for laughs.
Banjo Kazooie Taunt.

We have yet to get another taunt like Luigi's that spikes when they hang off the edge. I say we change that now.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Porky seems far more likely to be part of a spirit event to celebrate Mother than as a character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do u think Nintendo and Phil will give sakurai the choice between banjo or steve?

As far as I know about dlc, Nintendo gave sakurai a "list" then he chooses from there. What would happen if both of them were on that "list"?
Nowhere was it ever clarified that he chose from a list:
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
It could be anything, from systematic suggestions by process of elimination, to throwing darts on a board.

That being said, he might have chosen the character that's more practical to work with of the two in that scenario, if he does indeed have a deadline to reach.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Nowhere was it ever clarified that he chose from a list:

It could be anything, from systematic suggestions by process of elimination, to throwing darts on a board.

That being said, he might have chosen the character that's more practical to work with of the two in that scenario, if he does indeed have a deadline to reach.
I have a feeling that Sakurai took time to research each character and their source material to see if a fighter can be made. Stage, Music, and Fighter are the requirements. This kind of decision is not to be taken lightly. I just hope the infamous "Sakurai bias" isn't a factor here due to Nintendo composing a list to choose from.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
DsPOVylXoAENUC9.jpg

I found this a while back, I believe it was part of the Diddy Kong Racing manual and it shows the behind the scenes connection of the Donkey Kong Universe of how Diddy Kong was friends with a younger, less lazier and more adventurous Banjo (Before he met Kazooie) and a young Conker (Before discovering the wonders of alcohol), I always loved seeing how connected the DK and BK franchises were with their references and it's a shame we didn't get to see some type of crossover with the mainline games or more of them in spinoffs.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
View attachment 194658
I found this a while back, I believe it was part of the Diddy Kong Racing manual and it shows the behind the scenes connection of the Donkey Kong Universe of how Diddy Kong was friends with a younger, less lazier and more adventurous Banjo (Before he met Kazooie) and a young Conker (Before discovering the wonders of alcohol), I always loved seeing how connected the DK and BK franchises were with their references and it's a shame we didn't get to see some type of crossover with the mainline games or more of them in spinoffs.
I love how even before getting his own series, the model for Banjo, at least in promotional material, was pretty much the same as it would be in his own series! Such an iconic design for him. I really hope if he and Kazooie get in, they're as close to the CGI promotional material as possible, with some Nuts n' Bolts flourishes for their feathers, fur, and his clothes.

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
any nuts and bolts stuff included will be a disappointment to me. A minor one albeit, considering that it would mean we get B&K, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that I just want to forget that nuts and bolts ever even existed lol

osby

Smash Obsessed
any nuts and bolts stuff included will be a disappointment to me. A minor one albeit, considering that it would mean we get B&K, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that I just want to forget that nuts and bolts ever even existed lol
No, you'd be only speaking for yourself.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No, you'd be only speaking for yourself.
Pretty much. I know I'm in a minority, though, when I say that I really don't mind N&B like the rest of the world does. It's not a good Banjo game, but it's a good game anyhow. It just really didn't need Banjo shoehorned onto it.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much. I know I'm in a minority, though, when I say that I really don't mind N&B like the rest of the world does. It's not a good Banjo game, but it's a good game anyhow. It just really didn't need Banjo shoehorned onto it.
In the words of Jontron, it should been "Tiptup: Nuts n' Bolts"

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
In the words of Jontron, it should been "Tiptup: Nuts n' Bolts"
It SHOULD have been though! I loved the gameplay of Nuts & Bolts, but it was such a waste to use Banjo-kazooie rather than making it a spinoff.
Edit: A spinoff game starring Tiptup and Mumbo would have been fantastic

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yeah a good number of Banjo fans do feel the game shouldn't exist but it would be even sadder if the game didn't exist because at least they tried to make use of Banjo even if the game was awful but erase it and they would have basically never done anything with the IP which would be so much more demoralizing.

Last edited:

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
Yeah a good number of Banjo fans do feel the game shouldn't exist but it would be even sadder if the game didn't exist because at least they tried to make use of Banjo even if the game was awful but erase it and they would have basically never done anything with the IP which would be so much more demoralizing.
I think seeing B&K as fat losers in a game about car building was much more insulting to the iconic duo's legacy than just letting it lie. Its like in music, alot of legendary artists died early and therefore they werent able to tarnish their reputation making crap songs and sprite commercials in their 40s. I'm just glad they weren't exploited any further...

I guess I dont speak for everyone though. I always thought it was unanimous that the game was hated but i guess not. Whoops.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Most Banjo-Kazooie fans would agree that Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie were the definitive and most memorable games in the series and it's what put the franchise on the map during the N64 era in the first place. It's the main identity of the franchise.

Nuts & Bolts doesn't seem like a bad game ,But as the long awaited 3rd game in the franchise that fans were waiting almost a decade for, It's considered a big disappointment, People were expecting it to build off of Tooie and be the Ultimate Banjo-Kazooie 3D platformer experience, But it felt like another game entirely with the Banjo-Kazooie IP slapped on it.

I've seen some people bring up, "Well Mario has different games too like Mario Kart, Party and Sports etc" But the main difference is that those are spinoffs, Not mainline games and it doesn't interfere with the mainline series, Nuts & Bolts isn't a spinoff it's suppose to be the long awaited follow up to Banjo-Tooie, If it was a spinoff that accompanied Banjo-Threeie or a different IP then it would have been better received.

Nuts & Bolts isn't terrible and seems to be a solid well made game with Rare charm, But it still failed compared to the games before it and most fans of the series would like to forget it ever happened and are still waiting for the true follow up to Banjo-Tooie.

It also doesn't help that it's teaser trailer baited fans into thinking that this was actually going to be Banjo-Threeie.

X06: Banjo-Threeie/Nuts & Bolts Teaser Trailer
https://youtu.be/vDxQNl1cglU

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Imagine EVO 2020

Grand final is on the Battlefiled form of a BK stage with this playing:
The craziest thing is that this song is widely credited as a favorite, but ISN'T EVEN IN THE GAME. I've played N&B three times, and it was my second time through that I realized the final showdown used the music from the regular Grunty Challenges.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The craziest thing is that this song is widely credited as a favorite, but ISN'T EVEN IN THE GAME. I've played N&B three times, and it was my second time through that I realized the final showdown used the music from the regular Grunty Challenges.
It’s disappointing how this track goes unused in N&B. I would’ve loved to hear it in game instead of the same ol song.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd have no problem with Nuts and Bolts music making it into the game; I just wouldn't want Banjo's stage, design, or move-set to be based on it. (Spirits, I'm not sure about; for minor characters, or characters who debuted in that game, I'd probably be fine with it, but I'd prefer major characters getting their artwork from the original games)

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
While nuts and bolts is my least favorite banjo game, the game isn't horrible. At least banjo got attention back then. Nowadays the best he gets are cameos.

Isn't a no brainer that an overwhelming majority of banjo's moveset is going to revolve around his first 2 games, so I little n&b representation won't hurt. That being said, I would be bummed if sakurai used his n&b design as a primary. The weird angular design just doesn't look right

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like N&B, but I would prefer a real Banjo-Threeie.

There is something in N&B that I have a problem with, though, but I could be remembering it wrong; I just remember Banjo's personality being different, sometimes he seemed rude or snarky like Kazooie. He may have sometimes been sarcastic in the original games, but not as bad as how it seemed a few times/sometimes in N&B; he even got mad at Kazooie for her behavior sometimes in the original games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom