• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Optimistic me says Nintendo looked at the ballot and made their list based off that. Pessimistic me says they made the list based off upcoming releases to promote them.
I strongly believe :ultkrool: is going to be the villain in the next DKCR game and :ultridley: and :ultdarksamus: are going to be in Metroid Prime 4.

So give it to me straight bros, does he actually have a decent shot?
I would say Banjo & Kazooie are 50%/50%, it's either happening or it's not, It's likely and unlikely. We just got to hope and pray Banjo & Kazooie did well enough in the Smash Ballot and Nintendo will allow it. The CEO of Microsoft's gaming division Phil Spencer is all up for Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash, so Nintendo just needs to make the call.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Wait, why would Brave be Banjo? Courage isn't really a major theme of his series.
Easy. Banjo is a bear, right? You know what movie has a strong emphasis on bears, probably for some metaphorical reason that I'm too stupid to get? Pixar's Brave. Banjo is Brave confirmed.

/s

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
and :ultridley: and :ultdarksamus: are going to be in Metroid Prime 4.
Slightly off topic but I'm pretty sure they confirmed that Dark Samus wasn't coming back and that her story was done, and Ridley has been in pretty much every Metroid game, it's like guessing Bowser will be in the next Mario game.

And frankly I would argue that the development of Smash and the revival of K. Rool would probably point to Smash bringing him back not the other way around.

Overall I don't think we need to be so skeptical of Sakurai's statements about the ballot, those three all probably did get in because they were highly requested.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
They keep claming the ballot was the reason they added characters yet

dixe kong & shadow 2 of the most wanted & easy to add echos wheren't in the game as playable

the belmonts didn't get THAT many votes based on world wide polling yet are playable

Issac & Geno & bandana dee 3 very popular characters snubed

Waluigi not only snubed AGAIN ! but was shown off in a direct that you can KILL assist trophys YET a freaking piranha plant was made playable ! near NO one asked for or voted for him !

joker & incinaroar came out after the ballot was even done (fans where asking for decidueye & septile)

bayo cheated the ballot & was in smash 4 data B4 the ballot

its all just PR speak & lies the only character who really was a ballot pick was King Krool & for some reason the belmonts (even ridley was tryed to add to smash 4 but was considered to big at the time)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
dixe kong & shadow 2 of the most wanted & easy to add echos wheren't in the game as playable
No one knew about echos during the ballot so it's not like they got votes to be echos, so this has nothing to do with the ballot. Not to mention Shadow is 3rd party so there very well could be other factors limiting his getting in and most Dixie fans seem pretty sure she should not be an "easy" echo and that she needs to have several changes to be correct to Dixie.

the belmonts didn't get THAT many votes based on world wide polling yet are playable
Castlevania is a series much like Fire Emblem where the main character changes frequently and so likely while Simon didn't reach the top the series as a whole did quite well. And even if they weren't the first place picks considering how much they were able to get from the series I'm guessing the fact that Konami was super easy to work with and was a contributing factor to their inclusion. So the ballot probably helped get the ball rolling but I'd guess they got in for several factors after that.

And all have reasons they likely didn't make the cut. Isaac is from a very old series that doesn't have any current games out, Geno is from a super old game and is 3rd party, and Bandana Waddle Dee probably isn't as popular as K Rool, Ridley, or Inkling were.

Waluigi not only snubed AGAIN ! but was shown off in a direct that you can KILL assist trophys YET a freaking piranha plant was made playable ! near NO one asked for or voted for him !
Waluigi has never been in a main line game and again isn't near as popular as K Rool, Ridley, and Inkling. And Piranha Plant is in because Sakurai likes the roster to have a few odd balls to help keep the roster from feeling like its all just heroes, it's his roster diversity pick and likely only had to beat out characters in the same vein as WFT, ROB, and Mr G&W. Waluigi was never going to be considered for that slot.

joker & incinaroar came out after the ballot was even done (fans where asking for decidueye & septile)
And they have different reasons for getting in. Joker comes from a fairly popular game made by Atlus who have a great working relationship with Nintendo, even making a crossover game between Fire Emblem and SMT. Not to mention it seems pretty likely we're getting Persona 5 on Switch and Joker was selected to help promote that. Incineroar beat out the other Pokemon because he had a personality Sakurai liked and allowed him to make a pro-wrestler moveset he wanted to do.

That one is probably a mix of PR and ballot, I have no doubt she was doing well and probably did score high so when they were already working on her they just said it came from the ballot.

its all just PR speak & lies the only character who really was a ballot pick was King Krool & for some reason the belmonts (even ridley was tryed to add to smash 4 but was considered to big at the time)
Of course it's PR speak but that doesn't make it lies. They never said they were going to just pick the top 5 ballot picks, it was always meant to be a suggestion box and nothing more. And the fact that from it we have Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Isabelle, and all the vets back can most likely all be tied back to the ballot. To suggest it hasn't been used at all is just silly.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
No one knew about echos during the ballot so it's not like they got votes to be echos, so this has nothing to do with the ballot. Not to mention Shadow is 3rd party so there very well could be other factors limiting his getting in and most Dixie fans seem pretty sure she should not be an "easy" echo and that she needs to have several changes to be correct to Dixie.

Castlevania is a series much like Fire Emblem where the main character changes frequently and so likely while Simon didn't reach the top the series as a whole did quite well. And even if they weren't the first place picks considering how much they were able to get from the series I'm guessing the fact that Konami was super easy to work with and was a contributing factor to their inclusion. So the ballot probably helped get the ball rolling but I'd guess they got in for several factors after that.

And all have reasons they likely didn't make the cut. Isaac is from a very old series that doesn't have any current games out, Geno is from a super old game and is 3rd party, and Bandana Waddle Dee probably isn't as popular as K Rool, Ridley, or Inkling were.

Waluigi has never been in a main line game and again isn't near as popular as K Rool, Ridley, and Inkling. And Piranha Plant is in because Sakurai likes the roster to have a few odd balls to help keep the roster from feeling like its all just heroes, it's his roster diversity pick and likely only had to beat out characters in the same vein as WFT, ROB, and Mr G&W. Waluigi was never going to be considered for that slot.

And they have different reasons for getting in. Joker comes from a fairly popular game made by Atlus who have a great working relationship with Nintendo, even making a crossover game between Fire Emblem and SMT. Not to mention it seems pretty likely we're getting Persona 5 on Switch and Joker was selected to help promote that. Incineroar beat out the other Pokemon because he had a personality Sakurai liked and allowed him to make a pro-wrestler moveset he wanted to do.

That one is probably a mix of PR and ballot, I have no doubt she was doing well and probably did score high so when they were already working on her they just said it came from the ballot.

Of course it's PR speak but that doesn't make it lies. They never said they were going to just pick the top 5 ballot picks, it was always meant to be a suggestion box and nothing more. And the fact that from it we have Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, K. Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Isabelle, and all the vets back can most likely all be tied back to the ballot. To suggest it hasn't been used at all is just silly.
Wow, you basically addressed all his claims better than I could've. Bravo!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Wow, you basically addressed all his claims better than I could've. Bravo!
But at the same time he also proved his point. The ballot wasn't based on who was most popular which is what JonSmash was saying. Other factors than popularity decided these characters.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
But at the same time he also proved his point. The ballot wasn't based on who was most popular which is what JonSmash was saying. Other factors than popularity decided these characters.
Other factors than popularity contributed to these characters, it would be naive to assume that any fighter got in for only one reason. All of these fighters were probably pushed up to the top of the list for fighter to consider and then the newcomers we got edged out the rest for the other reasons stated. That doesn't mean that the ballot or their popularity means nothing like he was suggesting.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Bayonetta being the chosen fighter from the ballot pretty much proves popularity wasn't the main factor at all. Joker has nothing to do with the ballot and while relatively popular withing the Persona fandom, he had no presence in the Smash community. Incineroar is just the arbitrary Pokémon inclusion we always get.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah he kinda did prove my point

plus shadow was allowed to be a assist trophy same with issac so 3rd party rights issan't an issue with getting them in espescally shadow who could of been an echo an easy to add character

Dixe was also very popular & could of been an easy echo & with how diffrent chrom & dark samus are as echos she wouldn't of been hard to make stand out from diddy. I mean once again metroid has more reps then DK he gave us ridley & k rool but opted to give us dark samus as an echo instead of the WAY more popular dixe kong who wasn't that far behined Krool in the ballot WAY WAY above dark sams

& pokemon fans always get snubbed ! the last good pokemon new comer was Pokemon trainer in brawl with lucario being the promo pokemon
then smash 4 just gave us charizard & cut squrts & ivy (should of gave us a diffrent pokemon in smash 4 since no pokemon trainer but no they always have to promote charizard) with greninja as the promo pokemon who was SO MUCH of a promo pokemon that he got an exclusive evolution that only he can get leaving the other starters that gen in the dust !
and now incinaroar who a lot of people don't even like that much another 3rd evolution fire starter in smash another cat pokemon in smash already have mewtwo just to be the promo pokemon this gen just B/C ash is guna have one in the show

we could of got fan favorites like septile or mimiku or a UB you know the brand new kind of pokemon in that gen ? or even an alola form another brand new kind of pokemon that gen but nope just another 3rd evolution fire starter to market B/C ash will have one

as a fan of pokemon its very boring with who they pick

& as for waluigi what dose having to due with apearing in a "mainline" mario game have to do with anything ? there is no rule that that has to be the case it sure didn't help toad be playable did it ? (guess by that rule geno WILL NEVER BE PLAYABLE! even tho sakurai has consided him B4) plus we waluigi fans WANT waluigi's moveset to be based on all the sports games ! we like those games & would want a sports based character in smash & waluigi is the embodyment of mario spin offs ! Plus sakurai knows waluigi is popular as he keeps trolling with waluigi, I think sakurai just can't think of a moveset for him yet JUST USE SPORTS MOVE SAKURAI

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Well there is not much that can be done about it now. Their decisions were implemented how they wanted them to be. All we can do now is show continued support behind banjo if we really want him added.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Bayonetta being the chosen fighter from the ballot pretty much proves popularity wasn't the main factor at all. Joker has nothing to do with the ballot and while relatively popular withing the Persona fandom, he had no presence in the Smash community. Incineroar is just the arbitrary Pokémon inclusion we always get.
The ballot's effects on Smash 4 and it's effects on Smash Ultimate are like comparing apples and oranges. Quoting Hyle Russel on his insider source in Nintendo from his Kongversation podcast regarding K.Rool's reveal and how the ballot worked:

...They basically were using the Smash Ballot as, basically to get the fans to feel like they had some input, to gauge what the fans actually wanted, but actually they were more predictive about what they thought the fans wanted. So things like Bayonetta were already in the works before the Smash Ballot was finalized. And so that's why they had to do such loose justification with Bayonetta's reveal and say 'Oh, she was near the top of the list in Europe or somewhere, I dunno.'
So in regards to popularity for DLC pics, yes Smash 4 was clearly not relying on what the majority of fans wanted, and while the base roster has been confirmed to be formed through who we voted for from that ballot, it's too early to see any indication that this DLC wave will continue that trend. I hope to God it does, despite my huge hope that Banjo will happen I still would prefer him to lose to a Lloyd or a Geno than another Corrin or Cloud.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Other factors than popularity contributed to these characters, it would be naive to assume that any fighter got in for only one reason. All of these fighters were probably pushed up to the top of the list for fighter to consider and then the newcomers we got edged out the rest for the other reasons stated. That doesn't mean that the ballot or their popularity means nothing like he was suggesting.
But to claim that the ballot is the primary reason they are here when other factors were at play and that's what kept more popular characters out is also not quite right.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
So Brave is smaller than Mario? That doesn't like Erdrick.

It doesn't sound like Banjo Kazooie either. Who could it be I wonder... Oh no... It can't be!
Bandanna Jinjo.jpg

Bandanna Jinjo! I should have known it was you!!!!

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
If Brave was Banjo, wouldn't it be weird for him to be the second dlc instead of the E3 character or the last character?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Brave was Banjo, wouldn't it be weird for him to be the second dlc instead of the E3 character or the last character?
Smash isn't known for keeping the best announcements for last.
Smash 4 had Shulk, Smash Ultimate had Ken and Incineroar. Pessimistic me is saying the good DLC picks are going to be the first 2-3 characters.

But I guess DLC could take a different route. Even if it didn't interest me at all the Smash 4 DLC did go out with a Bang.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Well from the sakurai interview it sounded like joker was never planed to be revield when he was but nintendo america wanted to reveile him at the game awards since his game won an award at the game awards the year B4 so it was a last minute kinda thing

And frankly I would argue that the development of Smash and the revival of K. Rool would probably point to Smash bringing him back not the other way around.

Overall I don't think we need to be so skeptical of Sakurai's statements about the ballot, those three all probably did get in because they were highly requested.
There was chatter soon after K.Rool was revealed which detailed how K.Rool is/was viewed internally at Nintendo and the circumstances of his inclusion (and prolonged absence, once upon a time.)

Thread here: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

Note to just make of it what you will.

Also, may not mean much in this situation but it is the 25th anniversary of DKC this year.

I do hope one day we will read a similar piece in regards to Banjo and Kazooie being brought back from the gaming graveyard.

True vindication.

So Brave is smaller than Mario? That doesn't like Erdrick.

It doesn't sound like Banjo Kazooie either. Who could it be I wonder... Oh no... It can't be!
View attachment 187793

Bandanna Jinjo! I should have known it was you!!!!

Brother Jinjo, I'd knew you'd come.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Wasn't the code names for Pirahna Plant and Joker, Pakkun and Jack?

I know this is reaching really high but what if theres some convention of first letter of code name = first letter of character name. Then they use a word that is related in some way to the character

Pakkun is just Pirahna Plants Japanese name easy enough

Jack is a playing card like a Joker in a deck and of course there is a character named Jack in the Persona games the Jack Frost type guy.

So Brave could = Banjo?

I mean you can say why not use Bear.. but that might be too on the nose.. I mean Brave is a simple character trait you can apply to many game heroes.. like I said I'm just reaching.. it would be great if we could find some usage of "Brave" in the Japanese Banjo Kazooie games maybe there would be a significant reason we could justify the code name. Like if the title of Banjo-Kazooie in Japan was Banjo the Brave Bear lol

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Wasn't the code names for Pirahna Plant and Joker, Pakkun and Jack?

I know this is reaching really high but what if theres some convention of first letter of code name = first letter of character name. Then they use a word that is related in some way to the character

Pakkun is just Pirahna Plants Japanese name easy enough

Jack is a playing card like a Joker in a deck and of course there is a character named Jack in the Persona games the Jack Frost type guy.

So Brave could = Banjo?

I mean you can say why not use Bear.. but that might be too on the nose.. I mean Brave is a simple character trait you can apply to many game heroes.. like I said I'm just reaching.. it would be great if we could find some usage of "Brave" in the Japanese Banjo Kazooie games maybe there would be a significant reason we could justify the code name. Like if the title of Banjo-Kazooie in Japan was Banjo the Brave Bear lol
Brave is an anagram of Bear V.....or V Bear.....V meaning the Roman Numeral 5....There are 5 characters in the fighters pass........That's it! Banjo confirmed, pack up the thread, we're done here.

Kidding aside I would be floored if Banjo-kazooie was the next pack. Watch as my otherworldly powers of sarcasm bend to my will.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They keep claming the ballot was the reason they added characters yet

Dixie's NOT a viable echo fighter. Her hair gimmick makes her far too different from Diddy. Shadow is weird, but maybe Sakurai didn't feel having a 2nd Sonic rep be anyone but Tails would be appropriate.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
plus shadow was allowed to be a assist trophy same with issac so 3rd party rights issan't an issue with getting them in espescally shadow who could of been an echo an easy to add character
We have no idea what kind of 3rd party negotiations went on, maybe Sakurai didn't think any 3rd party would be happy with an echo or didn't want to pay a 3rd party company for a fighter to just get an echo (before you say Richter, seeing how generous Konami was with Castlevania content I'm guessing they probably gave Sakurai whatever he wanted or some bulk discount or something.) Or maybe Sega wasn't happy with Shadow being an echo and thought that wouldn't properly represent him as a character if he didn't have some of his signature moves. Not to mention Assist Trophies were likely added later so maybe they didn't get permission to add Shadow until too late to use him as an echo. There are just too many other options to just arbitrarily say "Sakurai didn't include Shadow so he's ignoring the fans."

Dixe was also very popular & could of been an easy echo & with how diffrent chrom & dark samus are as echos she wouldn't of been hard to make stand out from diddy. I mean once again metroid has more reps then DK he gave us ridley & k rool but opted to give us dark samus as an echo instead of the WAY more popular dixe kong who wasn't that far behined Krool in the ballot WAY WAY above dark sams
I suggest you go try saying that in the Dixie thread and see how that goes for you because any Dixie fan I've talked to suggests that the only way Dixie would work as an echo is if she was at least as different as Ken, with a different up-b like Chrom. Idk about you but nothing about Dixie sounds like she would be as easy of an echo as just changing the animations and using a character who is actually a copy of the person you're echoing.

& pokemon fans always get snubbed ! the last good pokemon new comer was Pokemon trainer in brawl with lucario being the promo pokemon
then smash 4 just gave us charizard & cut squrts & ivy (should of gave us a diffrent pokemon in smash 4 since no pokemon trainer but no they always have to promote charizard) with greninja as the promo pokemon who was SO MUCH of a promo pokemon that he got an exclusive evolution that only he can get leaving the other starters that gen in the dust !
and now incinaroar who a lot of people don't even like that much another 3rd evolution fire starter in smash another cat pokemon in smash already have mewtwo just to be the promo pokemon this gen just B/C ash is guna have one in the show

we could of got fan favorites like septile or mimiku or a UB you know the brand new kind of pokemon in that gen ? or even an alola form another brand new kind of pokemon that gen but nope just another 3rd evolution fire starter to market B/C ash will have one

as a fan of pokemon its very boring with who they pick
Despite having the second most fighters in the game and literally having a slot reserved for them in each game somehow Pokemon fans are being snubbed? Lucario was majorly popular when he got added, no one questioned his inclusion other than thinking he somehow stop Mewtwo's slot. And Greninja is super popular, but was added because Sakurai loved his design so it was hardly a "promotional" thing. And how do you "promote" a super old game? Charizard wasn't a "promotional" pick, he is just about the second most popular Pokemon. Inceniroar was added again because Sakurai liked his design and wanted to make a pro-wrestler moveset, no "promotional" anything to it other than just that Pokemon got another fighter, but Mimikyu or an Ultra Beast would have been just as "promotional" so I'm not exactly sure how Inceniroar is worse there. Mewtwo got in for the same reason Roy is back, because the Smash fans wanted him back. It has nothing to do with his popularity with Pokemon fans, though he is still fairly popular.

& as for waluigi what dose having to due with apearing in a "mainline" mario game have to do with anything ? there is no rule that that has to be the case it sure didn't help toad be playable did it ? (guess by that rule geno WILL NEVER BE PLAYABLE! even tho sakurai has consided him B4) plus we waluigi fans WANT waluigi's moveset to be based on all the sports games ! we like those games & would want a sports based character in smash & waluigi is the embodyment of mario spin offs ! Plus sakurai knows waluigi is popular as he keeps trolling with waluigi, I think sakurai just can't think of a moveset for him yet JUST USE SPORTS MOVE SAKURAI
Not being in a mainline game means that the "main" Mario team doesn't see him as important or needed, the only people thinking about him are the smaller studios doing the spin-off games and even then he's been skipped before (Mario Kart 7). That's why it matters that he hasn't been in a mainline game. And Sakurai has already included sports stuff in Peach's moveset and Waluigi's Assist Trophy so it's not like Sakurai isn't aware of the sports game, or hasn't thought of giving him a sports based moveset, he has just decided he wasn't important enough to get added over other options.

But to claim that the ballot is the primary reason they are here when other factors were at play and that's what kept more popular characters out is also not quite right.
It's more correct than saying it doesn't matter at all, and since Nintendo has told us several times that it was the primary reason several characters got added I don't understand why we suddenly can't trust Nintendo when we can clearly see that their popularity was an important part of them getting back. Even if we didn't have the ballot, even if we didn't know who the characters are, from a purely business stand-point it doesn't make sense to pick people who aren't popular because you want people to like your game. So we can assume that the fighter's who were selected for being popular so the game appeals to as many people as possible. And since the game is breaking records left and right I'd say they probably did a pretty good job of picking the right people.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Greninja was added to smash 4 based on concept art B4 Gen 6 was even out so greninja was not popular with fans at the time due to the game not being out SO greninja was not a fan pick or due to popularity (most people at the time were like WTF is this eewww toung scarf when they 1st announce greninja) & greninja only got so popular B/C of how hard they marketed him with an actual ash form FFS he was the deffanition of a marketing pokemon

Incinaroar is a similar situation

& daisy fans argued for years that she was to "unique" to be a peach clone & surprise surprise SHE IS A PEACH CLONE the same will happen to dixe kong wether you like it or not she can fight just like diddy kong (diddy dosn't even use his tail anymore for attacking) her diffrence would be an Up hair spin like in DKC2&3 that would be similar to DK's Up B & her B whould be her bubble gum gun from DKTF witch would have a gum like effect

thats about it otherwise she would fight like diddy kong (heck diddn't sakurai comment on dixie kong in an interview once? during smash 4 I think where he said she would of been to similar to diddy so he didnt consider her) & would be an echo simaler to dark samus & chrom

Yeah & everyone was PO'd waluigi was not in mario kart 7 to the point of demanding DLC for that game not seeing waluigi in that game made it feel/look incomplete to this very day

Last edited:

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
Smash isn't known for keeping the best announcements for last.
Smash 4 had Shulk, Smash Ultimate had Ken and Incineroar. Pessimistic me is saying the good DLC picks are going to be the first 2-3 characters.

But I guess DLC could take a different route. Even if it didn't interest me at all the Smash 4 DLC did go out with a Bang.
What about Bayonetta and Cloud?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Think about this way, Nintendo whether than Sakurai probably chosen the picks themselves that came from the Ballot not to please the fans, but as a big promotion for upcoming games they plan to put those Ballot picks in to make them a lot of money.
:ultkrool: is very likely going to return in the next DKCR game.
:ultridley: is probably going to be in Metroid Prime 4.
Konami might be cooking up a new Castlevania game that could appear on the Switch so :ultsimon: and maybe :ultrichter: could be promotion for that.

You see, there is a lot of money for Nintendo to be making off of these characters outside of Smash. Other picks might not have been interesting to Nintendo to invest their stock in for future games.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
IDK about K rool being in the next DKCR game as retros next game was in development WAY B4 the smash ballot so i feel whatever bad guy they made for the game won't be changed so late in development & I'm sure dixe will be in the next DKCR game so they could or marketed her in smash as well but didn't

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Greninja was added to smash 4 based on concept art B4 Gen 6 was even out so greninja was not popular with fans at the time due to the game not being out SO greninja was not a fan pick or due to popularity (most people at the time were like WTF is this eewww toung scarf when they 1st announce greninja) & greninja only got so popular B/C of how hard they marketed him with an actual ash form FFS he was the deffanition of a marketing pokemon

Incinaroar is a similar situation

& daisy fans argued for years that she was to "unique" to be a peach clone & surprise surprise SHE IS A PEACH CLONE the same will happen to dixe kong wether you like it or not she can fight just like diddy kong (diddy dosn't even use his tail anymore for attacking) her diffrence would be an Up hair spin like in DKC2&3 that would be similar to DK's Up B & her B whould be her bubble gum gun from DKTF witch would have a gum like effect

thats about it otherwise she would fight like diddy kong (heck diddn't sakurai comment on dixie kong in an interview once? during smash 4 I think where he said she would of been to similar to diddy so he didnt consider her) & would be an echo simaler to dark samus & chrom

Yeah & everyone was PO'd waluigi was not in mario kart 7 to the point of demanding DLC for that game not seeing waluigi in that game made it feel/look incomplete to this very day
Daisy fans were wrong. Daisy has always been a reskin of Peach in every single appearance she's ever made.

Dixie has always been as different to Diddy as Diddy is from DK.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
IDK about K rool being in the next DKCR game as retros next game was in development WAY B4 the smash ballot so i feel whatever bad guy they made for the game won't be changed so late in development & I'm sure dixe will be in the next DKCR game so they could or marketed her in smash as well but didn't
I don't picture :ultkrool: getting in Smash, but not coming back to his own franchise. Smash is a whole lot harder than almost anything else to get into. Also, where did you hear Retro was making their next game even before the Ballot happened?

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Banjo and Kazooie in their games are often referred to as "Bear and Bird". Bird has an etymology that stems into other languages, translating to "Ave"

Bear. Ave. Say it fast. Now say it American. It's Brave.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
you got to remember "Brave" is just the translation form of the japanese vertion or the word so I dout it has something to do with bear or whatnot i feel like banjo's code name would be dream or somthing

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"Brave" is an adjective that refers to practically every protagonist in gaming history. It could be anyone.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
"Brave" is an adjective that refers to practically every protagonist in gaming history. It could be anyone.
I wish Verge never said anything about a SE rep. It's made every other insider copy him and now a lot of people refuse to say Brave could mean anything else besides a SE rep.

I wish Verge never said anything about a SE rep. It's made every other insider copy him and now a lot of people refuse to say Brave could mean anything else besides a SE rep.
No kidding. The only reason everybody seems so convinced it’s Erdrick or some Dragon Quest character is because of Vergeben. They act like there’s no question, it’s GOTTA be a DQ character right?! Pfft. If Vergeben never said anything, we would have no idea who “Brave” is

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's more correct than saying it doesn't matter at all, and since Nintendo has told us several times that it was the primary reason several characters got added I don't understand why we suddenly can't trust Nintendo when we can clearly see that their popularity was an important part of them getting back. Even if we didn't have the ballot, even if we didn't know who the characters are, from a purely business stand-point it doesn't make sense to pick people who aren't popular because you want people to like your game. So we can assume that the fighter's who were selected for being popular so the game appeals to as many people as possible. And since the game is breaking records left and right I'd say they probably did a pretty good job of picking the right people.
Because it's clearly not the primary reason and you are right it makes no sense to pick people who aren't popular and then claim they are yet :ultbayonetta: I get the feeling it has happened before :ultbayonetta1:. Besides the fact it's also apparent what characters the community wanted to see back during the ballot and while I know those characters are included as spirits ATs and costumes ballot wasn't the primary source of choice for Inklings, Isabelle, no cuts, Inceniroar, Pirahna Plant, or Joker so why is it any harder to believe Simon wasn't picked purely due to ballot reasons and possibly due to already working with Konami and Castlevania being important to Sakurai? It's not and because of that I don't like to call him a ballot character because calling him ballot implies that there was a large amount of support for the character making it one of the top choices for fans when in reality, Sakurai liked the thought of Castlevania being in Smash and picked that suggestion over more voted for requests. To say the ballot wasn't used at all is indeed incorrect as the results can be seen all throughout the game but its influence over the roster itself is rather secondary at best. And one thing to keep in mind is I don't think Sakurai is trying to lie it's just that there are other things that seem to matter more than popularity and that means bad things for community input helping to shape Smash's roster and that's where most of the disillusionment comes from. We all know Sakurai wants to deliver a game we all want and love but it also seems what matters to us doesn't carry the same weight as advertising or other things.
Think about this way, Nintendo whether than Sakurai probably chosen the picks themselves that came from the Ballot not to please the fans, but as a big promotion for upcoming games they plan to put those Ballot picks in to make them a lot of money.
:ultkrool: is very likely going to return in the next DKCR game.
:ultridley: is probably going to be in Metroid Prime 4.
Konami might be cooking up a new Castlevania game that could appear on the Switch so :ultsimon: and maybe :ultrichter: could be promotion for that.

You see, there is a lot of money for Nintendo to be making off of these characters outside of Smash. Other picks might not have been interesting to Nintendo to invest their stock in for future games.
That's the problem though.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Let's just all agree that Banjo & Kazooie are absolutely perfect choices in every way, shape, and form to be DLC in the Fighter Pass and if they don't get in, it's the equivalent of a federal crime.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
And one thing to keep in mind is I don't think Sakurai is trying to lie it's just that there are other things that seem to matter more than popularity and that means bad things for community input helping to shape Smash's roster and that's where most of the disillusionment comes from. We all know Sakurai wants to deliver a game we all want and love but it also seems what matters to us doesn't carry the same weight as advertising or other things.
I think the important thing to remember is that the community is much larger than those of us who get online and talk about Smash. Even the characters like Isabelle and Inceniroar, while seemingly "unpopular" picks, both come from franchises who's sale numbers most games can only dream of. So I think popularity is a very key factor, but to suggest the minority of fans who go online and vote should decide the whole roster with the ballot, when the more casual fans would probably love to see someone like Isabelle I think is something Sakurai also must consider.

And I'm always leery of the advertising angle, if they add K. Rool to a Donkey Kong game now will that be advertising to try and get Smash fans or could it just be they see that people want K. Rool to come back so they added him back?

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Remember when this thread was a place to go when you wanted to support Banjo-Kazooie?

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Remember when this thread was a place to go when you wanted to support Banjo-Kazooie?

Ehh it's happening in every thread, we're in an information drought and people are out of things to talk about. In this case the conversation of ballot picks is at least tangentially relevant to Banjo as someone who would likely get in because of his results on the ballot.

Top Bottom