• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
is it B/C you can Imagine a moveset for conker thats not rated M ? conkers moveset could easly be rated PG & still nod to his games like snake & bayo do, conker wasn't a very bad guy in his game he was an avrege joe who loved to drink in a mad mad world there would be nothing about conker himself that smash would have to tone down really
True, Conker would have a very safe, family friendly moveset. What makes Conker M rated is everything ELSE in his game. Same goes for Snake, but Bayo? She is actually the one to be worried about. She's someone who tortures, murders outside of self defense, and is technically always naked. (I mean, so is Conker, but... :p )

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
You ever played Conker? There is a talking pile of **** that sings, there is nazi teddy bears, there is gore, sexual content, and cursing as far as the eye can see. There is no way you could represent Conker's character in Smash by pretending that all doesn't exist in his games. That is why Nintendo will never allow him to get in.
Yes I've played Conker. Have you ever played Bayonetta and Metal Gear? In my opinion Conker is sorta tame compared to them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True, Conker would have a very safe, family friendly moveset. What makes Conker M rated is everything ELSE in his game. Same goes for Snake, but Bayo? She is actually the one to be worried about. She's someone who tortures, murders outside of self defense, and is technically always naked. (I mean, so is Conker, but... :p )
And she starts a bike by jamming her finger of honor in it. Not even Conker had the rude gesture like that.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Thought I'd whip up a Conker Moveset, cause why not?

Jab: Smack foes with his frying pan. A successful hit will lead into two more hits, with the third knocking backwards.

F-tilt: Another smack with the frying pan. Hits harder than jabbing.

Up-tilt: An upward swing with the pan. Hits above Conker.

Down-Tilt: Performs a crouch spin with his tail, causing minimal damage but tripping opponents.

F-Smash: A hard whack with his nail-covered baseball bat. Projectiles will be skewered and halted, but catching a projectile will activate a short animation in which Conker removes the object and tosses it aside.

Up-Smash: Swings upward with his bat. Doesn't hit behind. Spikes skewer projectiles.

Down-Smash: Spins in a circle with his bat. Spikes skewer projectiles.

Note: All specials (except Up-B) cause a lightbulb to flash above Conker's head upon activation.

Nuteral-Special: Context Sensitive. This changes depending on the situation. If shielding, Conker dons the special armor for the Tediz segment of his and gets a free perfect shield if it blocks an attack. If in the air, Conker whips out a grappling hook to attempt to tether an opponent or the stage. On the ground, Conker equips his helmet and cigar and whips out some Smash-Approved weapon to attack with.

Side-Special: Conker whips out his throwing knives and hurls three forward. Can be cancled mid throws.

Down-Special: Conker pulls out his pocket watch and swings it in front of himself. If you input the move again, or the watch swings three times, Conker will snap his fingers and daze anyone standing in front of him within a short range. Basically Mewtwo's Disable.

Up-Special: Conker spins his tail and helicopters into the air. Not very good vertical recovery, but he decends slowly for a few seconds after peaking as he does in his games.

Grabs: Nothing interesting about his throws, but the grabbing animation mimics his money-swipe from BFD.

Final Smash: Conker charges forward with a shoulder-check. Anyone he hits is knocked into a cinematic: The foe lands in the vault from the endgame of BFD, and Conker runs up in his mech-suit and bashes the opponent several time to rack up damage before knocking them out the airlock, killing players above 100% damage.

Just my take on what the squirrel would play like.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
While Rare is one big family, the Conker discussion should be moved to his thread.

I know there's not much to talk about right now, but please stay on topic guys.

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
So the drive the convo back to the topic at hand.

The Data mine has revealed that the code name for the next character is Brave.

It also previously revealed mentions of Rare games via the spirit directory.

One intrepid modder took the attributes found for brave and applied them to Ike. He moves as such

https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1082674700810182657

Two things to note.

1. This makes Ike kind of floaty, somewhat like banjo with kazooie using her wings as buffers

2. When he runs and turns, he slides, much like banjo did in the first two games.

Point two is seemingly more important, its the kind of small detail i feel they would definitely remember to add in.

His size has him as small/medium, maybe mario's size or so which seems to fit Rare's original style for him. Banjo was always small compared to other characters in his games, the bulls were massive for instance. in diddy kong racing, he is like a head above diddy.

Finally the code name. Brave. if you Rearrange the letters of "Brave" You can get "Bear V". Hmm, Or is it Bear 5, for banjo and the 5th smash game?

WHAT IF THEY KNOW WE KNOW.

Probably nothing but what ever, Hype it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So the drive the convo back to the topic at hand.

The Data mine has revealed that the code name for the next character is Brave.

It also previously revealed mentions of Rare games via the spirit directory.

One intrepid modder took the attributes found for brave and applied them to Ike. He moves as such

https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1082674700810182657

Two things to note.

1. This makes Ike kind of floaty, somewhat like banjo with kazooie using her wings as buffers

2. When he runs and turns, he slides, much like banjo did in the first two games.

Point two is seemingly more important, its the kind of small detail i feel they would definitely remember to add in.

His size has him as small/medium, maybe mario's size or so which seems to fit Rare's original style for him. Banjo was always small compared to other characters in his games, the bulls were massive for instance. in diddy kong racing, he is like a head above diddy.

Finally the code name. Brave. if you Rearrange the letters of "Brave" You can get "Bear V". Hmm, Or is it Bear 5, for banjo and the 5th smash game?

WHAT IF THEY KNOW WE KNOW.

Probably nothing but what ever, Hype it.
"It also previously revealed mentions of Rare games via the spirit directory"

I know about the Rare games in the spirit code, but mind explaining what this particular sentence means? Are the Rare spirits still present (in code, I know there's no chance of them appearing in game)?

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
"It also previously revealed mentions of Rare games via the spirit directory"

I know about the Rare games in the spirit code, but mind explaining what this particular sentence means? Are the Rare spirits still present (in code, I know there's no chance of them appearing in game)?
It means the Jet force Gemini and Blast Corps names are still listed in the game. No spirits are currently associated with them however.

It means the Jet force Gemini and Blast Corps names are still listed in the game. No spirits are currently associated with them however.
The fact that they’re not only in the game but still haven’t been removed makes me believe they’re there for a reason and weren’t just some accident or scrap code or whatever like people tend to argue

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
So TheMarioAddict has a stage creation thread going on in the General Discussion Tab that I've made a few stages for. Just finished another one and as it's a Banjo-Kazooie stage I thought I'd post it here to see what everyone thinks of it.

Gruntilda’s Lair
from Banjo-Kazooie

Ah, good ol Banjo & Kazooie. Hard to believe how far character possibilities have come since the Brawl days. So many people, myself included, once thought that characters under Microsoft ownership were completely impossible. But now with things like Phil Spencer giving his approval of the idea and Nintendo and Microsoft being a lot more like buddies lately, Banjo & Kazooie seem like a very real (and definitely very hype) possibility.

Will they make it in? Beats the memory of Grunty’s disgusting habits out of me (or so I wish). Joker from Persona 5 of all people was the very first character announced for the fighter pass and the only hint we have as to who the next one might be is still vague enough to allow multiple possibilities. So who’s left is almost as big a mystery as the the originally intended Stop N Swap rewards.

But I’d be all for it if Banjo & Kazooie were in there somewhere. As for a stage they could bring, most people suggest Spiral Mountain but I’ll be honest, I find that idea kind of boring. So I decided to take a crack at what I believe to be a much more interesting stage idea. Gruntilda’s Lair.

And yet despite calling Spiral Mountain boring, lo and behold the starting area of this stage is on top of the mountain right in front of Grunty’s Lair anyway. Oh the irony. In any case, this part of the stage functions as nothing more than being just like the Omega forms of Stages like Willy Castle and Wooly World in Smash Wii U. A flat, final destination layout that you can’t go under.

But it only stays like this for 10 seconds before the eyes on Gruntilda’s Lair glow red and you hear Grunty’s cackle from the original game. Afterwards the screen gets covered in the sparkles that surround Banjo-Kazooie when they stand on a Level exit pad in their source game (don’t worry, fighters are still visible in a Castle Siege style way) as the stage warps into one of four levels from the original Banjo-Kazooie.

These levels are around for 25 seconds instead of Spiral Mountains 10 before changing to a different area. And once the stage leaves Spiral Mountain, it won’t go back to it in the same match.

The first of the four levels the stage will randomly transform into is Treasure Trove Cove.

First of all, size ratio may not be the best. Apologies for that. But how this one works is you can see the island that actually makes up the source game’s Treasure Trove Cove level in the background while you fight on a Battlefield layout made of the boxes you sometimes find in the water. How fitting because instead of a bottomless pit, the main ground of this stage is actually a box floating in the water.

As you can see with Sonic finally deciding to get in some swimming practice. Unfortunately his attempts to defeat his Aquaphobia won’t exactly lead to his preferred results here.

Take too long in the water and Snacker will emerge to bit you 3 times in a row. Not exactly a guaranteed kill, but it’s a very powerful attack so listen to the lifeguard kiddos.

Our next level in line is Bubblegloop Swamp.

This one is also pretty simple in layout. A walk-off inspired from the source levels various arching pathways. However none of it is passable ground. That open space below the left hand side of the arena? You can’t go down there. So for the sake of it not looking too awkward, I say we make some use of it.

Occasionally one of those Golden Crocodiles will emerge from the swampy water and open his mouth. When he does, Yumblies and Grumblies will appear on the ground. Eat the yumblies and you recover a bit of health, eat the grumblies and you’ll take a little bit of damage. Why eat the grumblies at all in that case? Well because they always start out as Yumblies but rot into grumblies if you take too long to get there.

The grumblies will eventually disappear on their own after a bit, and when the crocodile closes his mouth he will sink back into the swamp and stop the process.

The 3rd possible level is Freezeezy Peak.

No basic paint.net drawing this time. I managed to find a screenshot of what I had in mind for a layout. This portion takes place entirely on the Christmas Tree. The base of the tree where Mega Man is is the solid ground while the leaves everyone else is on are passable platforms. Aliasing is once again confusing (sorry about that) so I took the liberty of adding Light Blue Lines to show where all the passable platforms are. Well, roughly. Despite what the image shows here the passable platforms don’t actually go out any wider than the base of the tree.

As for the gimmick of this portion. The Twinklies on the tree will start glowing in a festive fashion that looks kind of like a light show after a bit. Most of the time it’s purely cosmetic, but Twinkly munchers can sometimes show up to get glass in their gums. And their bites can hurt you to but they’re nowhere near as powerful as Snackers.

The 4th and final possible level is Rusty Bucket Bay.

This one as you can see mostly takes place on the bow of the ship. Though there is an elevated area where Simon currently resides that functions as a walk-off. In the background you can see the ships crane turned to the side. Occasionally it will pick up a box to bring into the the part of the stage roughly above Mega Man to serve as another hard platform. But it won’t drop the box onto the stage. It will just bring it in and take it away after a bit. But it enters and exits the stage entirely via the background, so no need to worry about it carrying you to the top blast zone.

And that covers everything about actually having a match on this stage. But we’ve got one more thing to go over. People often talk about Fire Emblem Support Conversations or Xenoblade Heart to Hearts for what the next Codec Call like thing could be. But I once heard the idea of Gruntilda’s Rhymes as another option for this. So yeah why not? Let’s incorporate them into this stage idea.

I don’t actually have the talent to come up with any on my own, so here are some of my favorite I’ve seen from other people that could go off once Banjo & Kazooie input the right taunt command.

Duck Hunt:

Oh, no, no , NO! This must be a bad dream! This game was bad enough with ONE bird-mammal team!

DK:

You're smelly and ugly and covered in flies, do all apes have such bad taste in ties?

Greninja:

You're slimy and gross, but I've got a hunch, that Gruntilda will be having frog legs for lunch!

Bayonetta:

You call yourself a witch when so pretty and fair? Come take a look at old Grunty's body hair!

Wario:

You smell repulsive, let me tell you honey. You even give me a run for my money!

K. Rool:

Now here's a character in which I actually care, seeing you nowadays is rather Rare.

Possible DLC Character this stage could come with:

Banjo & Kazooie

DLC Music this stage could bring:

Spiral Mountain: https://youtu.be/pPUn5biib1c

Treasure Trove Cove: https://youtu.be/3nxFYoGNJKc

Bubblegloop Swamp: https://youtu.be/T9m26h0_Jxo

Freezeezy Peak: https://youtu.be/bKv9WeS8BOs

Rusty Bucket Bay: https://youtu.be/PByIP2MLWP0

Mad Monster Mansion: https://youtu.be/f9cG9bjYfjQ

Final Battle: https://youtu.be/VB-WvKoBZgA

Jinjo Village: https://youtu.be/_oXPFtv818c

Mayahem Temple: https://youtu.be/eR0iCxsIAuM

Jolly Roger’s Lagoon: https://youtu.be/Ad0wbpQPuHs

NOTE: The first five of these music tracks would also be available in a medley that transitions when you reach the songs corresponding area.
That stage design is so damn cool, I'd absolutely love it

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The fact that they’re not only in the game but still haven’t been removed makes me believe they’re there for a reason and weren’t just some accident or scrap code or whatever like people tend to argue
I'm hardly an expert but isn't the general rule of coding, "if it ain't broke don't touch it or you'll break everything?" As evidenced by every single patch of League of Legends breaking something completely unrelated. If I had to guess they got added by mistake for all the reasons other people give and the developers figured just removing the spirits would be good enough.

I'm hardly an expert but isn't the general rule of coding, "if it ain't broke don't touch it or you'll break everything?" As evidenced by every single patch of League of Legends breaking something completely unrelated. If I had to guess they got added by mistake for all the reasons other people give and the developers figured just removing the spirits would be good enough.
Due to Sakurai stating there was a special team focused specifically on Spirits research, I have a hard time believing it was just a mistake. I don’t see how you can accidentally add spirits for games that are owned by Rare/Microsoft, especially coming from a team who’s only job was Spirits. Unless of course they’re there for a future purpose, which isn’t unrealistic considering we’ve already gotten post-launch Spirits

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Due to Sakurai stating there was a special team focused specifically on Spirits research, I have a hard time believing it was just a mistake. I don’t see how you can accidentally add spirits for games that are owned by Rare/Microsoft, especially coming from a team who’s only job was Spirits. Unless of course they’re there for a future purpose, which isn’t unrealistic considering we’ve already gotten post-launch Spirits
I think the speculation I've seen is that the games listed all have really muddy issues about ownership that would make it easy to confuse for a game that Nintendo owns. So they got added in thinking they were owned before someone higher up caught the mistake and had them remove it.

I think the speculation I've seen is that the games listed all have really muddy issues about ownership that would make it easy to confuse for a game that Nintendo owns. So they got added in thinking they were owned before someone higher up caught the mistake and had them remove it.
I just have a hard time believing this either when this has never been an issue before in any other Smash game. Why now suddenly?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I just have a hard time believing they’d have someone working on the game who would be capable of making such an amateur mistake
You'll have to find someone who's more knowledgeable about it than me but it sounds like the games that got messed up had some weird situation where Nintendo published them or something like that and it made people think they were Nintendo owned. Personally it sounded a lot like current Bayonetta who I am sure many people would confuse for first party at this point.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
You'll have to find someone who's more knowledgeable about it than me but it sounds like the games that got messed up had some weird situation where Nintendo published them or something like that and it made people think they were Nintendo owned. Personally it sounded a lot like current Bayonetta who I am sure many people would confuse for first party at this point.
Yeah there are also unused data for spirits from Devil’s Third series, which are completely empty. Devil’s Third is a series that Nintendo published, but did not develop in-house, and subsequently do not own the rights to.

Yeah there are also unused data for spirits from Devil’s Third series, which are completely empty. Devil’s Third is a series that Nintendo published, but did not develop in-house, and subsequently do not own the rights to.
Is this Devil’s Third thing even true? I always see people talk about it but I’ve never been able to find any actual proof

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Is this Devil’s Third thing even true? I always see people talk about it but I’ve never been able to find any actual proof
I got that from the cutting room floor page on Smash Ultimate. Unless their data is just incorrect, which I doubt, I have no reason to believe that that’s false info.

I got that from the cutting room floor page on Smash Ultimate. Unless their data is just incorrect, which I doubt, I have no reason to believe that that’s false info.
I’ve seen it stated enough to feel compelled to believe it, but like I said I’ve never been able to find any evidence of it. Though you can easily find the Rare spirits thing everywhere online

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I’ve seen it stated enough to feel compelled to believe it, but like I said I’ve never been able to find any evidence of it. Though you can easily find the Rare spirits thing everywhere online
That’s honestly probably because Devil’s Third got horrible reviews in the West, sold poorly, and has become largely forgotten overall, even just a couple years after its own launch. As such, it is highly unlikely that Devil’s Third will ever get anything in Smash.

Meanwhile, the unused Rare series spirit slots generated a lot of hype due to the (still very present) possibility of Banjo, and thus got quite a lot of media coverage, making data on their existence very easy to find online.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
So, I have a question: Have ANY other spirits been found in the code that don't belong to Nintendo and are inactive, like the Blast Corps and JFG?

So, then isn't it a little odd that ONLY Rare spirits have been found? Now I understand why people are looking into this...
My point exactly. And like I said, I have a hard time believing it was just a mistake when it’s never “accidentally” happened in any other Smash game. Why suddenly now, in a time where a Rare character is extremely highly requested?

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
My point exactly. And like I said, I have a hard time believing it was just a mistake when it’s never “accidentally” happened in any other Smash game. Why suddenly now, in a time where a Rare character is extremely highly requested?
And despite being rather niche titles, they were still popular. Enough to be recognized by older players.

To top it all off, I can see the BC spirit negating tripping and earthquakes, and the JFG spirit equipping some sort of gun. It makes so much sense, but after the November Direct and Game Awards "leaks", I'm sceptical...

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
I don't buy this really because nintendo has published lots of third party games over the years and of the 3 that we know are mentioned are two rare franchises, and devils third by nintendo.

Production on Ultimate started in 2015, Devils third was released in 2015 and pushed by Nintendo in 2014, probably with the full anticipation of "yea, this will make nintendo cool to the hardcore gamers."

it was terrible and no one bought it.

If we look at the two rare games, sure nintendo published them but why those two when they also originally published banjo, killer instict, and battle toads?

althiough against my own argument, if these two games being listed was in preparation for the Banjo DLC announcement, why wasn't there a banjo kazooie game listed for banjo kazooie spirits? surely they'd add spirits for them as well right?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
None that I’ve heard of, other than this supposed Devil’s Third stuff
At least that one's understandable, that game doesn't really need to be remembered. Especially damning since Tomonobu Itagaki, former handler of modern Ninja Gaiden, was behind it, yet it was bungled up. How the mighty have fallen.

I don't buy this really because nintendo has published lots of third party games over the years and the 3 that we know are mentioned are two rare franchises, and devils third by nintendo.

Production on Ultimate started in 2015, Devils third was released in 2015 and pushed by Nintendo in 2014, probably with the full anticipation of "yea, this will make nintendo cool to the hardcore gamers."

it was terrible and no one bought it.

If we look at the two rare games, sure nintendo published them but why those two when they also originally published banjo, killer instict, and battle toads?

althiough against my own argument, if these two games being listed was in preparation for the Banjo DLC announcement, why wasn't there a banjo kazooie game listed for banjo kazooie spirits? surely they'd add spirits for them as well right?
But...wouldn't it actually be more conspicuous if Banjo-Kazooie was listed in there?

Last edited:
At least that one's understandable, that game doesn't really need to be remembered. Especially damning since Tomonobu Itagaki, former handler of modern Ninja Gaiden, was behind it, yet it was bungled up. How the mighty have fallen.

But...wouldn't it actually be more conspicuous if Banjo-Kazooie was listed in there?
Perhaps those Rare spirits are there in preparation for Banjo DLC along with more Rare spirits that were completely scrubbed, but the dev team left the Blast Corps and JFG as a mistake because of the whole weird trademark situation? A bit of a stretch, but it’s another possibility

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Perhaps those Rare spirits are there in preparation for Banjo DLC along with more Rare spirits that were completely scrubbed, but the dev team left the Blast Corps and JFG as a mistake because of the whole weird trademark situation? A bit of a stretch, but it’s another possibility
One Rare franchise would be nothing, but 2 is why me and a lot of others are using it as hope for Banjo. Until we see what the 1st pack with Joker holds, we can't really draw a solid conclusion on how closely the spirits will be in relation to the Fighter and game of origin.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Wait why could it be a mistake that they got left in but not a mistake that they were added in the first place?

Wait why could it be a mistake that they got left in but not a mistake that they were added in the first place?
I’m just suggesting a different possible scenario here. The spirits are there because of future Banjo DLC, but were accidentally left in the code when scrubbing out of confusion of the weird trademark situation, while other Rare spirits are also coming but were scrubbed because that confusion wasn’t there for them

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if by some chance B-K can't get in this pass, Sak will still give it his all for this game, it seems, so there's still hope:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sh-bros-ultimate-creating-entertainment-more/

I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash Bros – the source of all this endurance being me seeing how amazing other games are! In order for the development scene in Japan to compete with the rest of the world, doing a little just isn’t enough. We’re pushing ourselves to the limit here. In terms of both teams and creative manpower, competition is inevitable, isn’t it? The games I mentioned earlier in the column took a lot to make, and they’re actually fun – I can really appreciate that.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I’m just suggesting a different possible scenario here. The spirits are there because of future Banjo DLC, but were accidentally left in the code when scrubbing out of confusion of the weird trademark situation, while other Rare spirits are also coming but were scrubbed because that confusion wasn’t there for them
I guess it's not impossible, doesn't seem like something I would use to get my hopes up though.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Please don't try to disprove the Rare spirits. That and the Brave sliding are my only hopes for Banjo at the moment. Don't take that away from me.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm not sure we'll ever know what the Rare spirits were about unless they end up being DLC. I'm almost positive Nintendo will never ever say "Just to clarify the results found by illegal datamining, we thought be owned these Rare games but we totally didn't, lol, and we decided to leave the text references to be found by hex editors!"

So yeah, unless they end up being DLC, we'll never know what their deal was.

Top Bottom