• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

puremrz

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo themselves is picking the DLC than I've just lost every ounce of Hope I've ever had. They can be just so tone-deaf and Out of Touch . I foresee maybe bandana Waddle Dee, another Pokemon, and maybe some other really recent characters. I'm throwing in the towel. But at least the game that's on the way it looks pretty dang good.
I feel the other way actually. Nintendo itself, rather than just Sakurai and his team, most likely think differently about who should be in. If anything, I think this reduces the chance of unwanted characters. Who knows, maybe Nintendo has better taste than Sakurai and we'll only get characters that people have been wanting for ages. Although he was still the one to make the final choice about who gets in... But who would reject a character that's just made for Smash?

Oh no, I'm speculating again, this is bad for my health.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't know man, they are the same people that put baby Rosalina and pink gold Peach into the last Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I hope Banjo-Kazooie eventually get in for you guys. It's been so long, and you guys have been so dedicated.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
no worries bugging me lol

I mean it certainly seems to hurt everyones chances tbh, but I'd say if rare is part of the N64 classic and they add banjo-kazooie to that it could make financial sense for nintendo to choose banjo but I fear several "corrin" like choices are also possible here.

I laid out everything about banjo in my last post in this thread. its from someone I trust but they are also trusting their microsoft source, who i've never spoken with, who also got fooled by the grinch leak so... I mean take it for what it is, I've alwasy just been about giving as much info as possible about this, i've seen no proof of banjo and the person im hearing it from has gotten nothing right. I still trust them, as in I believe they are just trying to get what they heard out there, but whether or not what they heard is true... I really don't know. either way i think banjo has a decent chance.
Papa, what do you think of Geno chances? Do you think they would prioritize Sora before Genos as SE representative? The only 2 characters I would buy for DLC that still have a chance are Geno and Banjo so I'm rooting for both of them

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Papa, what do you think of Geno chances? Do you think they would prioritize Sora before Genos as SE representative? The only 2 characters I would buy for DLC that still have a chance are Geno and Banjo so I'm rooting for both of them
low at this point honestly.

I figured they lowered a bit when he wasnt base roster, with sakurai not choosing the dlc its lowered significantly.

I think dragon quest sadly has the best shot right now as the SE rep. I'm not giving up hope for geno but yeah its low, banjo I think still has a good shot though especially if they get rare games for a n64 classic.

What if Nintendo actually selected certain third party characters for whatever reason? And all was rosy? It is one thing to receive authorisation to use certain content, but it may be another situation altogether to actually select to use that content....?

On first look, the statement looks damning and ominous but i'm not quite sure if this is a confirmed death sentence to third party characters as yet. It isn't the message you want to hear if you support a third party character though. Just when you think you have the answers someone changes the questions!

Slightly different scenario had the statement been, Nintendo characters only, non negotiable though.

I'm prepared for third party fan favourites to miss the boat but it is not quite panic stations just yet.

At least they have decided, now we play the waiting game.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Reminder that Nintendo picking DLC characters doesn't necessarily mean no third parties, its just their choice, and it isn't more or less in favor for BK, maybe that meeting at E3 Spencer & Nintendo had could have related to Smash, who knows.

I just don't think Sakurai's lack of choices on this season of DLC alters chances much.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
look if nintendo didn't pick to buy rare back when they did they an't picking banjo now nintendo is out of touch & just flat out don't care there gun pick steve its what everybody dosn't want so of couse nintendo would do it I mean we have piranha plant as an actual fighter over toad,waluigi & geno or any other mario character PLEASE don't get your hopes up "wait & see" we did that & he an't in the base roster heck most popular characters got the death setance that is AT it is over nintendo "dosn't want your feedback" a HUGE 180 from the rigged ballot. K rool seams to be the only real ballot pick

osby

Smash Obsessed
look if nintendo didn't pick to buy rare back when they did they an't picking banjo now nintendo is out of touch & just flat out don't care there gun pick steve its what everybody dosn't want so of couse nintendo would do it I mean we have piranha plant as an actual fighter over toad,waluigi & geno or any other mario character PLEASE don't get your hopes up "wait & see" we did that & he an't in the base roster heck most popular characters got the death setance that is AT it is over nintendo "dosn't want your feedback" a HUGE 180 from the rigged ballot. K rool seams to be the only real ballot pick
I don't think K.Rool is the only fighter whose inclusion effected by the ballot. He's just the only who has nothing going for him except that. Also, you're kinda being dramatic.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think this might increase Banjo’s chances. I mean we’re still probably getting all DLC picks that are a part of business deals Nintendo has recently made

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just because Nintendo selected the DLC fighters doesn't mean the ballot isn't being used... why does Sakurai not choosing automatically mean "no ballot data used" Nintendo is going to use the same means Sakurai would... Nintendo is going to want to make money off this DLC so theyre going to want every character to be worth their while... they're going to want to select characters they know are going to sell. If Banjo had a lot of votes I can't see them ignoring him

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Didn't Sakurai say that Nintendo selected the DLC ,But checked with him to see his thoughts and if they can be worked as a fighter? I assume Sakurai still gets a say in DLC.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Yeah, with Nintendo deciding DLC it's going to be all Marketing. This really sucks, to be honest.

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
IDK, with the N64 classic, Eevee-Gotchis and Tales of Vesperia Switch all on the way, we could get some pretty decent marketing picks. Even if it is a little unlikely.
I'll hold on to hope but with a character like Corrin it's hard.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, with Nintendo deciding DLC it's going to be all Marketing. This really sucks, to be honest.
It is a double-edge to be honest. I mean they know that hardcore fans that have been asking for Geno and Banjo are gonna buy the game anyways but you know who will definetely bring lots and lots and I repeat LOTS of casual fans and kids???? ****ing Steve. I can imagine all the kids begging their dads to please buy them the game with Steve, Mario, that spacefox, that bubblegum with a face and that gorilla with a tie. If Nintendo includes steve as DLC and do a nice marketing campaign they will sell a lot more. However, If the N64 classic has Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in it, then I can see them including Banjo for the veteran fans as well as the new fans to make them buy the new N64. "This console from the 90's has many awesome games like B-K, the bear and bird duo that also appears in smash bros!" I mean I can see them doing something like this, so it all depends in the N64 mini.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sony's PlayStation Classic 20 game lineup, (Other than a few games) has been seen as a disappointment and underwhelming from majority of fans (Myself included, No Crash and Spyro is a pass for me, But not surprising as both series got remasters), Which can either mean that Nintendo can take the easy way and just rely on it's 1st Party franchises to beat it or they can go in guns blazing and bury the PS1 if they can nab Rare's library.

While Nintendo's 1st Party stable can certainly carry the N64 Classic, Everyone will be expecting the usual titles on it and then will be wondering "Where's the Rare games ?" It's the question everyone has been asking when it comes to the N64 Classic.

Rare's missing library would make the lineup look decimated and neutered, I don't want the N64 Classic Edition to get the same reception as the PS1 Classic. (To a lesser extent)

Your casual average Nintendo fan probably won't really notice anything missing which I think Nintendo is banking on and wants a majority of consumers to think, But your more serious Nintendo gamer will definitely notice Rareware's absence.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah I'm skiping the PS1 mini its missing WAY to many classics for the price & dosn't even come with a power cord !

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What if Nintendo actually selected certain third party characters for whatever reason? And all was rosy? It is one thing to receive authorisation to use certain content, but it may be another situation altogether to actually select to use that content....?

On first look, the statement looks damning and ominous but i'm not quite sure if this is a confirmed death sentence to third party characters as yet. It isn't the message you want to hear if you support a third party character though. Just when you think you have the answers someone changes the questions!

Slightly different scenario had the statement been, Nintendo characters only, non negotiable though.

I'm prepared for third party fan favourites to miss the boat but it is not quite panic stations just yet.

At least they have decided, now we play the waiting game.

Off Topic:
The Simpsons is my all time favorite show and this is one of my favorite episodes too !!!

Oh Mr. Plow that's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow !!!

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm probably being more optimistic than history should deem feasible, but I don't think that the recent tweets really change much for Banjo's chances as DLC. We've always had to accept the following for Banjo to make it in.
  • Nintendo and Rare have to be willing to work out a deal to bring the bear and bird back to a Nintendo console. It's not against Nintendo's interest if they want to sell N64 Classics in the future, if this is really a thing as rumors would indicate.
  • Someone in Nintendo has to value them as being additions that would sell as DLC. The recent tweet doesn't say "We're going to put only advertisements in as DLC so you can look forward to some upcoming games!". It would be just as viable as a selling point for DLC to include iconic characters from a series that a certain generation of gamers grew up with. They very most probably have the Smash Ballot results as well from the previous years, which I imagine BK did reasonably well on.
  • Sakurai has always said he would only add characters that would fit in Smash with a unique moveset (which is slightly conflicting with the amount of sword users but whatever). BK's moveset seems like it would be pretty unique. If there would be any conflict, it would only be certain moves from certain characters (aerials like Duck Hunt or DK, etc).
The main downside that is blatantly obvious is that BK, like it or not, is a pretty deadend series this last decade. I'm positive I've read things mentioning that characters that have a future are more likely to be featured. (Though K. Rool and Simon don't really stick to that "rule".) Their 20th Anniversary was this year and outside of some small merch, not much came of it. I don't doubt that Nintendo and Rare both like the series, I'm sure they do, but they also realize they're somewhat obscure characters in today's day and age on a genre that hasn't had a lot of representation. But hey, they were iconic for their day and age, it *is* their 20th Anniversary, and now's a good a time as any to honor or revive them.

24 hours ago I had the same DLC mindset as I do now. I imagine that there will be at least 2 first party characters, 2-3 characters that directly advertise an upcoming game on the Switch, at least 2 third party characters, and at least one character taken from the popular votes of past ballots or surveys. (Obviously given the 5 fighters in the Fighter's Pass, there will be overlap of these categories.) If we're hoping for Banjo to get in, I think the best bet is them getting in on account or combination of the past Ballot Results and advertisement of the N64 Classic.

If I'm being brutally honest, no, I don't think their chances are great. I think they're in reality not great at all. BUT I do think they're greater than 0. I won't let go of the dream until they release their final selection of characters.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
kinda sad that banjo getting smash may be up to a N64 classic mini marketing move ! he deserves so much more then that look at castlevania ! no mumbo AT or grunty boss or Diddy kong racing stage or music :/ it was there 20th anniversary man nintendo really droped the ball on this they rally could of benafeted off marketing them in smash & the N64 mini for the 20th anniversary as much as M$ could of

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The duo clearly deserve more in my mind, but whatever it takes to get them in Smash finally is a good enough reason for me. Even if it's a shady Marketing ploy to sell a re-release of a console I have no plans on buying. I'm willing to look past that at the end result.

A new BK game would be pretty sweet though.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
IDK about Mr Belmont but K Rule definitely has a future. Nintendo just didn't know it before.

See the DS remake. Nintendo can and will remove Conker from that game if they decide that they dislike him enough.
I bet K.Rool is coming back for the next DK game. Smash is the boost he needed.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Did he really need a boost though? =P. I feel like people have always liked him, hah. I can't get mad at K. Rool though, he's a neat character.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah we have been begging for k rool for years ! he didn't need a boost just for nintendo to actualy use him

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I bet K.Rool is coming back for the next DK game. Smash is the boost he needed.
He was going to return for Tropical Freeze's Switch port but Sakurai called dins on reviving him first.

[QUOTE="okamifire, post:]
  • Someone in Nintendo has to value them as being additions that would sell as DLC. The recent tweet doesn't say "We're going to put only advertisements in as DLC so you can look forward to some upcoming games!". [/QUOTE]
well yeah that would be a very stupid thing to say. But the fact that they're not showing us what's in the fighter pass while still asking us to buy it is also pretty telling. They want us to buy it ahead of time cuz they know the choices probably piss some people off

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Oh, yeah, I no doubt expect at least 2 of them to be obvious advertisements for games that either haven't come out or characters that no one has any emotional ties to. But I don't expect all of them to be. *shrug*

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'm probably being more optimistic than history should deem feasible, but I don't think that the recent tweets really change much for Banjo's chances as DLC. We've always had to accept the following for Banjo to make it in.
  • Nintendo and Rare have to be willing to work out a deal to bring the bear and bird back to a Nintendo console. It's not against Nintendo's interest if they want to sell N64 Classics in the future, if this is really a thing as rumors would indicate.
  • Someone in Nintendo has to value them as being additions that would sell as DLC. The recent tweet doesn't say "We're going to put only advertisements in as DLC so you can look forward to some upcoming games!". It would be just as viable as a selling point for DLC to include iconic characters from a series that a certain generation of gamers grew up with. They very most probably have the Smash Ballot results as well from the previous years, which I imagine BK did reasonably well on.
  • Sakurai has always said he would only add characters that would fit in Smash with a unique moveset (which is slightly conflicting with the amount of sword users but whatever). BK's moveset seems like it would be pretty unique. If there would be any conflict, it would only be certain moves from certain characters (aerials like Duck Hunt or DK, etc).
The main downside that is blatantly obvious is that BK, like it or not, is a pretty deadend series this last decade. I'm positive I've read things mentioning that characters that have a future are more likely to be featured. (Though K. Rool and Simon don't really stick to that "rule".) Their 20th Anniversary was this year and outside of some small merch, not much came of it. I don't doubt that Nintendo and Rare both like the series, I'm sure they do, but they also realize they're somewhat obscure characters in today's day and age on a genre that hasn't had a lot of representation. But hey, they were iconic for their day and age, it *is* their 20th Anniversary, and now's a good a time as any to honor or revive them.

24 hours ago I had the same DLC mindset as I do now. I imagine that there will be at least 2 first party characters, 2-3 characters that directly advertise an upcoming game on the Switch, at least 2 third party characters, and at least one character taken from the popular votes of past ballots or surveys. (Obviously given the 5 fighters in the Fighter's Pass, there will be overlap of these categories.) If we're hoping for Banjo to get in, I think the best bet is them getting in on account or combination of the past Ballot Results and advertisement of the N64 Classic.

If I'm being brutally honest, no, I don't think their chances are great. I think they're in reality not great at all. BUT I do think they're greater than 0. I won't let go of the dream until they release their final selection of characters.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head better than I ever could.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, now that we know Banjo wont get an amiibo any time soon, does anyone know when the totaku figure releases? I thought it was supposed to come out back in October.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The Donkey Kong Franchise is probably the biggest winner and has the most to gain thanks to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Not only did King K. Rool get in due to overwhelming popular demand, But Ultimate also cemented his status as an All-Star and DK's main antagonist, Without a doubt he's finally back for good and with Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch and inevitable sequel in the future with King K. Rool and the Kremling Krew, The franchise hasn't been this well off since it's Rareware days.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The Donkey Kong Franchise is probably the biggest winner and has the most to gain thanks to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Not only did King K. Rool get in due to overwhelming popular demand, But Ultimate also cemented his status as an All-Star and DK's main antagonist, Without a doubt he's finally back for good and with Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch and inevitable sequel in the future with King K. Rool and the Kremling Krew, The franchise hasn't been this well off since it's Rareware days.
Plus Tropical Freeze is pretty good too, based off what I've played.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
This whole "Nintendo's Pics" thing reminds me of that DK Vine podcast episode when K. Rool was revealed, how their inside source labeled "Dave Throat" disclosed that "they" had no idea K. Rool was so popular and that they were completely blown away by his support, and how it also mentions that " there have been other parties within Nintendo that have wanted to bring K. Rool back before this, but people have shut them down before this point, and apparently now that is going to change".

We've (well, "I've") been interpreting this as Sakurai and his team as the "they" talked about in this source, but I've never considered that it may have been Nintendo themselves who pushed for K. Rool's inclusion in Ultimate. If it really was the same Nintendo who listened to the poll results and acted on their wishes, then I might hope that they would also take fan favorite characters into consideration when selecting a list for Sakurai to pick from. Both Nintendo and Soccerguy have certain downsides to their process, with Nintendo biased towards relevant franchises and upcoming titles and Sockyereye leaning towards personal tastes and choices that no one seemed to be waiting for, but the way both SMRPG and Banjo-Kazooie have been receiving attention from their respected owners recently has the telltale signs of groundwork being laid for a company to maximize profits from an upcoming upsurge in relevancy.

Tl;Dr : Nintendo might have had more base roster input than we realized, and with so many fan favorites added onto the base game and DLC being the preferred vehicle to maximize profits for 3rd Party characters, this may be the best case scenario to seeing our Bear and Bird return home. And I'm choosing to retain hope.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Idk guys, I agree with some of you, after what sakurai said about Nintendo Choosing the Next 5 characters for DLC, it feels like we won't be Seeing Banjo-Kazooie at all- granted IF they were to make an N64 Classic it would sell Sh*tloads better with RareWare Games on it and striking a deal with Microsoft seems pretty likely what with the Crossplay and things.

but I just dont know, Banjo hasn't been on a Nintendo Platform since 2005's Banjo-Pilot on the GBA, and if Relevancy is an Issue for third parties (at least Nintendo's perspective, not Sakurai's), then Its Game Over for Banjo.

I want to believe, I really do, he is the only thing that will make Smash Ultimate GOTY for me.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Of the five Nintendo picks, at least ONE is going to be one of the higher placing ballot picks just so they can say "Look! Look! We listened! We swear!"

But in that regard it's going to be a very safe, first-party pick that won't force them out of their comfort zone. I think Bandana Dee and Paper Mario specifically are the two biggest contenders

Top Bottom