• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That's not quite it, ChunkySlugger. Rare did own some DK64 Kongs, and Nintendo did own the Banjo-Kazooie license and characters, but in the buyout they made a sort of "gentleman's agreement" tradeoff, because Nintendo didn't want the possibility of Microsoft being allowed to use characters so closely tied to the DK brand (I mean, they're actual KONGS), which from my understanding is more valuable to Nintendo than keeping the Banjo-Kazooie license, since DK was and still is an active selling brand.

So yeah, Banjo-Kazooie legit used to be a Nintendo property. Not that it has any affect on the modern landscape of the companies and franchise.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm still holding onto to my theory that Banjo will be revealed for Smash when the N64 classic is revealed. It just goes hand in hand.. of course this hinges on B-K actually being on the console. If the N64 classic is void of Banjo-Kazooie my expectations of seeing him in Smash will go drop to 0%. I just fee like though nagotiations would have been in tandem with one another.

I know Verge is saying our first DLC character will be shown at the VGAs but there's no reason to believe that he could be wrong about the reveals for DLC.. yes he got a lot right but he missed things too.

:ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultrichter:

It's those 4 characters that give me the hope that not everything is within his knowledge.

Until I see Minecraft content I'm still going to believe it could be a code being used to Banjo. Which is why he's not sure of it even when some of other leakers are.. what better way to keep him a secret than refer to him from day 1 as "Minecraft".

Every single character that was popular in the ballot era has shown up in this game one way or another..

Shovel Knight is an AT
Isaac is an AT
Krystal is an AT
K. Rool is playable
Shantae is in Spirit's
Geno is in Spirits
Daisy's an Echo
Dixie is in spirits

Banjo is literally THE only character from the ballot top 15 list on most fan polls that has yet to show up in Ultimate.. and highly doubt that he won't show up.. if Sakurai was willing to get the rights to 2 western indie characters for Ultimate including making one an AT. He absolutely went for Banjo.. showing anything related to MS would expose this fact. I feel like if MC content was coming to Smash over Banjo, he would have gotten a Spirit's mode decomfirm like a crap ton of other characters did.. and while I agree being in Spirit's doesn't necessarily mean that character won't get in I do feel that most if not all were shown to sort of deflate certain fan bases hopes.. I personally don't think Sakurai would have revealed any characters through spirits that were going to end up playable in the end.. (sorry Geno fans) if MC was getting into Smash and Banjo wasnt than I think we would have seen Banjo & Kazooie as a spirit like all the other's.

So either MS isn't involved at all.

Or any MS related content is being hidden as to not spoil the most obvious MS choice.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That's not quite it, ChunkySlugger. Rare did own some DK64 Kongs, and Nintendo did own the Banjo-Kazooie license and characters, but in the buyout they made a sort of "gentleman's agreement" tradeoff, because Nintendo didn't want the possibility of Microsoft being allowed to use characters so closely tied to the DK brand (I mean, they're actual KONGS), which from my understanding is more valuable to Nintendo than keeping the Banjo-Kazooie license, since DK was and still is an active selling brand.

So yeah, Banjo-Kazooie legit used to be a Nintendo property. Not that it has any affect on the modern landscape of the companies and franchise.
I remember actually reading about that and forgot to mentioned it ,But at the same time didn't know if the "character trade" was true or just a rumor, So it was either one or the other ,But seeing how there's evidence of Charcter ownership then I guess the trade was true.

DpQlPleWkAsuQom.jpg
DpLzAVXW4AASoSN.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While going on this topic about Rare used to owning the Kongs and Nintendo used to owning the Banjo-Kazooie license and characters, does anybody know the reason why since Brawl Nintendo cut out Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, and Cranky's parts out of the DK rap?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So why’s rare quiet about smash?
Because other than 3 former characters they created, They have nothing to do with the the game.

Until and if Banjo-Kazooie make it as DLC, They don't really have nothing to say either.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While going on this topic about Rare used to owning the Kongs and Nintendo used to owning the Banjo-Kazooie license and characters, does anybody know the reason why since Brawl Nintendo cut out Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, and Cranky's parts out of the DK rap?
I haven't played Brawl in like 5 years and Wii U in almost a year so I can't remember, But if I'm not mistaken isn't Ultimate the 1st game in the series to shorten the DK Rap to just DK, Diddy and Tiny?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't played Brawl in like 5 years and Wii U in almost a year so I can't remember, But if I'm not mistaken isn't Ultimate the 1st game in the series to shorten the DK Rap to just DK, Diddy and Tiny?
No, it was in Brawl when they started cutting out Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, and Cranky's parts out of the DK rap.

Edit: I double checked it just now, it was in Smash 4 when they started shorten the DK rap.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All of you keep forgetting that in 2015 during the ballot phill said he and Xbox have worked with Nintendo before NO PROBLEMS

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
All of you keep forgetting that in 2015 during the ballot phill said he and Xbox have worked with Nintendo before NO PROBLEMS
I'm pretty sure everyone has heard that quote to death by now on this thread and won't forget about it. (It's the main reason were even here and pushing for Banjo-Kazooie !!!)

He's likely talking about post buyout when Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002.

Microsoft still allowed Rare to develop for the GBA and DS since unlike Nintendo they didn't have a handheld/portable console to of their own.

- Game Boy Advance
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (2003)
Donkey Kong Country (2003)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (2004)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (2005)
Banjo-Pilot (2005)

- Nintendo DS
Diddy Kong Racing DS (2007)
Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise (2008)

Not to mention that Nintendo had to likely negotiate with Microsoft to rerelease Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U Virtual Console since the game includes the arcade game Jetpac. (A Rare IP)

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I have hope. I just feel it. If Microsoft is involved, while I really do think we're getting Steve, I think Banjo-Kazooie will come along with him.

They will join Dante, Doom Slayer and Erdrick as DLC. At least that's what I'm predicting. Yes I'm hoping the Granblue thing fell through in regards to Smash.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Even if we don't get Banjo-Kazooie in wave 1 of DLC, or even in this game at all, if Minecraft gets a character, that opens the doors for Banjo-Kazooie down the line, whether for a wave 2 or a Smash 6, it helps. Just as Snake helped relations to eventually get the Castlevania guys, or Street Fighter after Megaman, Bayonetta after Sonic, or perhaps even another Square rep for DLC after Cloud. This isn't the end of things, and progress is progress...

But even then, I think Banjo-Kazooie oughtta have a good shot at DLC. Phil Spencer's tweets and Vergeben's Minecraft comments oughtta be enough context clues to speculate on them having a shot. No reason at all to lose hope.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I thought the clues point towards steve ? multiple leakers talk about mine craft & only papagenos papagenos sourse's sourse has said anything about banjo, has there been any other leakers or insiders talking about banjo ?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Papageno's leak is a game of telephone and with a lot of hypothesizing and theorizing, which I would take with a massive grain of salt, so I'm not even considering his source on this. But I don't think talk of Banjo-Kazooie themselves needs to be heard in order for clues to point towards them, the biggest clue of course is simply talks of Microsoft. So for all intents and purposes, talks of Minecraft is pretty much talks of Banjo-Kazooie, since it comes from the same company. If we had a direct leak of Banjo-Kazooie, it's not much of a speculation at that point, and I really hope Banjo-Kazooie doesn't get leaked for that reason, I just want hope, and Microsoft's involvement gives me hope.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
This is probably old news, or maybe the source is unreliable, but... if these guys are correct, Banjo-Kazooie will be on the Nintendo 64 Classic, which exists.

If this is true, then Banjo suddenly becomes far likelier, the only reason he doesn't happen at this point would be... would be... *gag* I don't even want to finish the statement, but the last word is "costume" which I think is a massive stretch.

Oh, and I already own the OG N64 version, on top of the Xbox 360 version (I miss a stable 30fps and note saving already) which I can't play because the hard drive's wires are missing. R.I.P. So unless it has Banjo-Tooie I don't see myself getting this yet.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement of the N64 Classic, not because I plan on buying it, but if Banjo Kazooie is on there, it definitely helps their chances in Smash. (But hey, if it helped them get into Smash, I'd buy 5 of them.)

JonSmash

Smash Ace
that would be super dumb of rare, nintendo,phil & sakurai to not put banjo in base game but put him in N64 classic mini basicly saying yes he is guna be DLC I feel like him being annouced in smash 1st would be the bigger annoucement to have 1st IMO

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
From a monetary standpoint though, Rare probably would profit as them being DLC. At least that's why I assume Cloud and Ryu ended up DLC last time. I don't really know what kind of deals third parties make with Nintendo though, I just assume DLC individual purchases helps third parties more.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Papageno's leak is a game of telephone and with a lot of hypothesizing and theorizing, which I would take with a massive grain of salt, so I'm not even considering his source on this. But I don't think talk of Banjo-Kazooie themselves needs to be heard in order for clues to point towards them, the biggest clue of course is simply talks of Microsoft. So for all intents and purposes, talks of Minecraft is pretty much talks of Banjo-Kazooie, since it comes from the same company. If we had a direct leak of Banjo-Kazooie, it's not much of a speculation at that point, and I really hope Banjo-Kazooie doesn't get leaked for that reason, I just want hope, and Microsoft's involvement gives me hope.

Yeah I have seen no proof of banjo at all myself.

And I simply have a source who I trust telling me what THEIR source (whos supposedly a microsoft source) tells them. Both were fooled by the grinch leak (as was I ) despite the microsoft source being confused why the grinch leak didnt have incineroar, and while I still trust my source is being honest with me I have never spoken to their source or seen proof of anything from them. I just trust my source based on who they are that they are being honest with me. That said, take them saying banjo as a rumor more than a leak really because they havent actually gotten anything correct yet (though I believe their main reason for believing the grinch leak was because it had banjo, whom their microsoft source said they were "sure" of).

I just want to get that information out there and while again I still trust my source, my confidence in their information can only go so far until they get something correct. They agreed about spirits acting like sticker though I did not hear that from them(that was a different source), they just agreed with it.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think it's either gonna be both Banjo games or nothing. Either Nitnedno sees the ****load of ballot votes and fan demand for Banjos return and strikes a deal with MS, or nothing happens.

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
This is probably old news, or maybe the source is unreliable, but... if these guys are correct, Banjo-Kazooie will be on the Nintendo 64 Classic, which exists.

If this is true, then Banjo suddenly becomes far likelier, the only reason he doesn't happen at this point would be... would be... *gag* I don't even want to finish the statement, but the last word is "costume" which I think is a massive stretch.

Oh, and I already own the OG N64 version, on top of the Xbox 360 version (I miss a stable 30fps and note saving already) which I can't play because the hard drive's wires are missing. R.I.P. So unless it has Banjo-Tooie I don't see myself getting this yet.
Yeah that was fake.. that same "source" predicted Incineroar to not make it into Smash.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah that was fake.. that same "source" predicted Incineroar to not make it into Smash.
It has yet to be determined, Seeing how supposely their is suppose to be a 2nd direct this month. (Nintendo Direct) either on the 8th or at the end of the month, We all know the N64 Classic Edition is coming, It's just a matter of when and if there will be Rare titles on it.

D

Deleted member

It has yet to be determined, Seeing how supposely their is suppose to be a 2nd direct this month. (Nintendo Direct) either on the 8th or at the end of the month, We all know the N64 Classic Edition is coming, It's just a matter of when and if there will be Rare titles on it.
Dk64 needed ms permission for a rare title on the VC so they’re gonna do it again but with more rare titles

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Dk64 needed ms permission for a rare title on the VC so they’re gonna do it again but with more rare titles
Donkey Kong 64 is guaranteed to be on the N64 Classic Edition , But because of Jetpac, They are going to have to renegotiate with Microsoft once again since it's going to be in a new product for sale which hopefully means talks for Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare titles, Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong 64 is guaranteed to be on the N64 Classic Edition , But because of Jetpac, They are going to have to renegotiate with Microsoft once again since it's going to be in a new product for sale which hopefully means talks for Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare titles, Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Exactly

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
D

Deleted member

If you are implying that they will all be first party characters I would have to disagree with you. It can be a grey area, but it said made by nintendo, not made of nintendo characters. It probabaly means that nintendo is the only company working on the characters
I know that it’s just........we’re getting duped he lied to us

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The N64 Classic Edition will probably be a good indicator if they might make it in or not,
If their in it then it's a good sign, If not their DLC Roster status will be downgraded from "Stable" to "Critical Condition"

Last edited:

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
I feel as if at this point if Banjo-Kazooie is on the inevitable N64 classic. He is a lock as a fighter in smash.

Also when Sakurai said the selection was made entirely by nintendo, it could also mean that it was nintendo that decided what characters to add in as DLC. As an example it would be nintendo that decided to include a microsoft rep and not microsoft approaching nintendo.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman

JonSmash

Smash Ace
NOPE NOT RIP ! NEVER GIVE UP ! cherry boy AKA the new president of nintendo said MORE big DLC for big games like Mario Odessy, Zelda BOTW & Mario Kart 8 & you can bet your booty Smash will be one of those games as well ! no WAY they guna let a HUGE money maker like smash stop 5$ per character pack & 15$ for there amiibo ! they got to be crazy NOT to do it

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I dont know, Sakurai is a blessing. but Nintendo itself isnt one that usually delivers what its fans want. I have a very bad feeling the dlc characters are gonna be tie ins and advertisements. Id love to be proven wrong, but I am very much not holding my breath anymore.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, in regards to the news that Nintendo themselves made a list of characters for DLC and Sakurai worked off that, I'm now rather curious to see who they chose, especially since apparently each character warrants not only a playable appearance, but also a new stage and collection of music. Also, I feel this news on its own doesn't really affect Banjo-Kazoie's chances, especially considering the aforementioned good relationship with Microsoft. If anything, this might be a sign that both Banjo-Kazooie and Steve might be in.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Personally speaking, if Banjo-Kazooie aren't in the game at all, I'll definitely be disappointed, but I won't complain about it; as long as the characters we DO get are unique and fun to play as (which seems like a given since none of them are Echo Fighters), then I'll welcome them with open arms, and yes, that includes Steve.

Top Bottom