• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I'm still holding onto to my theory that Banjo will be revealed for Smash when the N64 classic is revealed. It just goes hand in hand.. of course this hinges on B-K actually being on the console. If the N64 classic is void of Banjo-Kazooie my expectations of seeing him in Smash will go drop to 0%. I just fee like though nagotiations would have been in tandem with one another.

I know Verge is saying our first DLC character will be shown at the VGAs but there's no reason to believe that he could be wrong about the reveals for DLC.. yes he got a lot right but he missed things too.

:ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultrichter:

It's those 4 characters that give me the hope that not everything is within his knowledge.

Until I see Minecraft content I'm still going to believe it could be a code being used to Banjo. Which is why he's not sure of it even when some of other leakers are.. what better way to keep him a secret than refer to him from day 1 as "Minecraft".
Missing things isn't quite the same as being wrong, so we could be seeing a situation similar to K. Rool where he just doesn't know about Banjo, but Banjo is still in. He hasn't said anything against Banjo's chances and he didn't say anything concrete in relation to Steve, just that him being a fighter would seem to be the case given the circumstances of DLC this time around. It's still possible we could get a Microsoft pack that includes a Minecraft stage and Banjo as a fighter.

I feel as if at this point if Banjo-Kazooie is on the inevitable N64 classic. He is a lock as a fighter in smash.

Also when Sakurai said the selection was made entirely by nintendo, it could also mean that it was nintendo that decided what characters to add in as DLC. As an example it would be nintendo that decided to include a microsoft rep and not microsoft approaching nintendo.
I feel that this is the only way to interpret this and I don't understand where the concern comes in. Nintendo could pick Banjo just as easily as Sakurai could.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not liking the chances. Sakurai has been acting weird lately as if he knows that he can't meet some of the fan favorites. Nintendo apparently overrode him or chose the characters for him to modify and he is basically saying that he has no call here for two reasons:

1. He doesn't believe the fans will react well to Nintendo's picks
2. Nintendo override him and he is bitter about it.

I don't like Banjo's chances based on Vergeben who was on point about the last Direct. We will see. Hopefully, I am pleasantly surprised but I am not holding my breath.

One positive about Nintendo making the choice is that Nintendo will want to have more than 5 DLC down the road if it is a money maker and keeps garnering sales for the Switch.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Steve getting in over banjo is a declaration of war & a huge spit in the faces of both nintendo fans & smash fans I don't care what people say steve getting in over banjo would be the bigest insult IMO

volbound1700 volbound1700 yes I feel the picks are going to be very bad ! sakurai is saying this on twitter basicly throwing nintendo under the buss & even in the direct say only buy the season pass if your confident & we already got a piranha plant

bad nintendo DLC picks could be

1:steve
2:FE switch protag
3:gen 8 pokemon
4:another mario rep
5:???

I think sakurai knows its going to be receved badly HE TWEETED IN ENGLISH !

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Based on Sakurai's indifference to the DK Country series, another Rare franchise, it might mean a better chance for us if Nintendo chooses the dlc fighters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have noticed that sometimes Nintendo throws out better ideas than Sakurai has in the past. Miyamoto for example pushed for Pacman in the Brawl era who was a great pick for the game. Shigeru Miyamoto has a reputation for pleasing fans so I wouldn't be too opposed if he made the selections. I can see Shigeru adding Tails for example since he is a big name character from popular series that is not in the game.

It makes me wonder if Sakurai was able to pick the full base roster.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah but miyamoto also killed paper mario when he asked stiker star team to make the game NOT like PMTTYD & to use no original characters witch gave us the era of generic toads (kinda like how fans asked for geno or waluigi but got a genreic piranha plant sounds like a very miyamoto thing to do)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly don't want Waluigi lol. He is a troll character. He is not a big enough character to be in Smash.

Daisy was questionable as well but I don't mind her being in as an echo.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
PLUS this is the 1st smash game where sakurai's best friend & former nintendo president Iwata died Iwata would just let sakurai run mad! maybe these last 2 new presidents didn't let him ? & if miyamoto was involved forget it ! the directed of Z:BOTW said he had to spend entire days fixing what miyamoto erased just B/C shiggy did what he wanted LOL

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just hope Nintendo and Sakurai view the overwhelming support for King K. Rool as a sign that fans want more Rareware fighters and after K.Rool the next obvious and most popular choice would be Banjo-Kazooie.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
volbound1700 volbound1700 less of a troll then piranha plant & as someone who plays a LOT of mario sports based games waluigi would of been a great rep for those games & use a sports based moveset from tennis golf base ball & SO much more ! the mario sports fans are A HUGE part of nintendo's fans & waluigi would be the best character to rep the spin off games. don't let the memes make you think he is just a troll character he is much more then that

ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 and after banjo we also want dixie she was high on the ballot as well ! surpised she wasn't an echo honestly

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions too hastily about how Nintendo will choose characters as opposed to Sakurai, etc., even if jumping to conclusions seems to be what a lot of our community is wont to do.
Bear in mind that while Nintendo is making the character selections, Sakurai does have some say in the situation too. So it isn't 100% Nintendo's decisions.

It does seem like the bear and bird's chances as DLC are riding on them making an appearance on the N64 Classic- if it happens, there's a pretty decent reason for Nintendo to pick Banjo, even if only for promotional purposes on their end. I'm not holding my breath personally, but I think we'll get a much better idea of Banjo's chances once we see the games selection for that thing.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
IDK sakurai usually says everything is picked & done by him, for him to come out in english no less saying hay guys nintendo picked the dlc characters seams VERY TELLING he HAS NEVER done anything like this before even going as so far as to say where not looking for feedback despite hyping this game up on the ballot AKA FEEDBACK ! seams verry fishy

D

Deleted member

I’m leaving y’all just don’t give this man a break don’t you?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Nintendo knows that the last Smash Direct didn't hit the mark. The proposed final characters and Spirit mode are just not that popular compared to the Hype from August's Direct (which was amazing).

I think the positive news about Nintendo running the ship is that they will likely milk more than one seasons of DLC.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I've been really suspicious of the fact that they wouldn't reveal even ONE of the DLC fighters, and these tweets clinch it for me. It's NOT any of the fan picks, or at least, not all of them.

Let's be real: Even if the N64 mini is revealed in the next Direct, and even if it does have Rareware games, I don't see a Banjo DLC trailer happening. The whole point is that Nintendo is trying to hide the DLC characters and sell us the pass without telling us who's coming

Would they make a point of saying "We're not telling you who is coming" just to walk that back a few days later?

I think this is also why despite all the people saying so, there's no chance of a VGA reveal. Nintendo is going to hold this over us until at least February. They want us to blindly trust them, because they know their picks are going to piss people off

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection"

Sounds to me like Sakurai was given a list of some characters to choose from, not just five.

Hopefully Banjo-Kazooie is among them.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Well after reading what sakurai's tweet said & all the fan respons it really dose feel like Nintendo is going to use the DLC to push games just like we got corrin & bayonetta for smash 4 I agree we may get just another New FE rep & a 8 gen pokemon rep maybe a new Metroid rep for MP4 ? IDK but this don't look good at all IMO my hope for banjo is at a all time low especially with all the Minecraft rumors

Every morning I wake up & my 1st thought is paranha plant is a playable character & I feel empty no excitement I'm getting less & less hype for the game I just kida feel numb to it :/ & I shouldn't even if banjo don't get in we have all the returning characters but I'm really just meh about the whole thing.

I just kinda don't care anymore I think i'm going to take a break from smash talk online for a bit until after I play the game when its out

but its Nintendo picking DLC & we all know how out of touch Nintendo can be

Good luck everyone

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Missing things isn't quite the same as being wrong, so we could be seeing a situation similar to K. Rool where he just doesn't know about Banjo, but Banjo is still in. He hasn't said anything against Banjo's chances and he didn't say anything concrete in relation to Steve, just that him being a fighter would seem to be the case given the circumstances of DLC this time around. It's still possible we could get a Microsoft pack that includes a Minecraft stage and Banjo as a fighter.

I feel that this is the only way to interpret this and I don't understand where the concern comes in. Nintendo could pick Banjo just as easily as Sakurai could.

I agree... he might not know about Banjo who could be there.

I feel like getting a Minecraft stage with Banjo is an unlikely scenario. Who knows though. If Nintendo puts Banjo in on Microsofts terms than that could very well be the case.. at this point I'm thinking Minecraft may even make an appearance in Spirits and nothing was shown as not to spoil Microsoft being involved.. it would be funny to not hear a thing about Minecraft then suddenly have a Creeper spirit show up in the game.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I mean the game already has every character and damn near every stage every previous game has, so it'll probably be at least as good as 4. Which I thoroughly enjoy. If Banjo doesn't make it, it should still be an amazing game with some great new additions. (Though I happen to love Piranha Plant.)

All the DLC and uncertainty for fan favorites is of course maddening, but regardless of which characters make it, it'll still be 5 new characters, so I can get excited for that.

And hey, Banjo hasn't lost yet! Who knows what'll happen.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
a MP4 rep !?! never thought of that ! good idea BUT I'm not a fan of it :/

MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny yeah I feel the same way its like nintendo know the coming backlash espesally after the letdown of the last direct compared to the gricnh leak Nintendo know they HAVE to know

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
WHELP!

The more smash new I see. The more I think that the ballot wasn't really considered for anything. Only characters I saw bringing in a huge number of votes that are in are ridley a K.Rool. Most other characters have been disconfimed.

I just don't get what nintendo was thinking. If you are going to have a character ballot and go on the record saying that the characters on the ballot are going to be in the game. Then you should be ready to have backlash when that is not seen.

If nintendo really does put in more random FE characters, or piranha plant like random characters, there will be a huge uproar in a sense. The fighter pass isn't really that much cheaper than buying the characters individually. It is really only about a 5-6$ discount.

In a slightly diff. character. (cowboyvoice) "If banjo is on the n64 classic (which he should be) and not in smash...there'll be hell to pay"

In all seriousness I hope this doesn't mean much and that it means that nintendo only chose characters from the ballot however unlikely that is.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Face the facts Sakurai in the direct tells you not to buy the pass unless you're absolutely sure

They refuse to show even ONE of them

Later on Twitter Sakurai makes a rare english tweet saying Nintendo picked the DLC and that it wasn't him

He's trying to cover himself because he KNOWS

He KNOWS it's not what we want

It's almost like he's trying to shift the blame to Nintendo and not himself

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
Also Sakurai says "I decide if we can create a fighter based on thier selection, then come up with the plan" So the doom and gloom I think many of us are feeling is a little much. Even if it is nintendo AT THE VERY LEAST, they still have to be Sakurai approved if that counts for anything RN

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Our best bet now is Rare games on an N64 Classic Edition, and a cross promotion through that.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Or he and Nintendo are getting bombarded by hundreds / thousands of texts a day "Add this character plzplzplz" etc. and they're getting overwhelmed by these requests. To me the tweet reads more "We've decided the DLC, we're sorry if your favorite character didn't make it this time." It does unfortunately not say something like "We've picked the best we could!" or something, so I expect at least a couple advertisement characters. But hey, they could be fun.

I think we shouldn't read too far into this, and honesty I still feel like Banjo's chances are much better than 0.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
YEAH & out of that list he made a moveset for piranha plant thats telling as it is ! what trash pics are these guna be?

MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny yeah sakurai wants us to know its not him

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
With Nintendo full on deciding the DLC, I'm going to keep my expectations low. The ones I hope for the most are Banjo and Dixie.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Allow me to repeat myself: instead of freaking out/getting depressed over this news, how's about we wait to see what the first Fighter Pass character is before we start jumping to conclusions. Also, I can imagine people in the West are constantly bombarding him and Nintendo with tweets about putting their favorite character in, hence the second English tweet.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I have no doubt they'll throw us at least one of the ballot picks as a way to shut us up

But I'm not counting on it being Banjo

JonSmash

Smash Ace
well it would be interesting to see what papa, his source & his source's source (lol) think of this

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Or he and Nintendo are getting bombarded by hundreds / thousands of texts a day "Add this character plzplzplz" etc. and they're getting overwhelmed by these requests. To me the tweet reads more "We've decided the DLC, we're sorry if your favorite character didn't make it this time." It does unfortunately not say something like "We've picked the best we could!" or something, so I expect at least a couple advertisement characters. But hey, they could be fun.

I think we shouldn't read too far into this, and honesty I still feel like Banjo's chances are much better than 0.
Yeah, I don't think the situation is as dire as some are making it out to be. If advertisement characters are picked, I may just decide to try their games to see if I can support some affection for the character.

Unless it's ****ing Steve...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I mean... sure Nintendo is picking the characters for DLC... but the ballot is still there Nintendo can actually see what characters fans want. I wouldn't think Nintendo is so daft that they would ignore character that have a lot of requests..

One minute everyone hate's Sakurai for making a Piranha plant playable over Isaac, Geno, Banjo etc.

Then find out Nintendo is picking the DLC and proceed to get mad.

I mean someone's gotta do it... regardless of whether Nintendo or Sakurai pick.. I'd say that odds are the same..

Some say MC Steve was inevitable because Sakurai enjoys the game and has talked about playing it multiple times.

Now it's "it would make the most business sense for Nintendo to use MC"

So it's pretty much the same.

As far as I'm concerned Banjo has just a good a chance with Nintendo picking as Sakurai. It would be a big move from one large game studio to another. Plus this could fit nicely into the reason Phil Spencer went to lunch with Nintendo. Even if Sakurai wasnt present he didn't need to be, because the deal was made between the higher ups of both companies. I'm doubtful even if Steve is revealed first that Banjo wasn't discussed... both parties are aware of his popularity. Phil from the requests and Nintendo from the raw ballot data..

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If Nintendo themselves is picking the DLC than I've just lost every ounce of Hope I've ever had. They can be just so tone-deaf and Out of Touch . I foresee maybe bandana Waddle Dee, another Pokemon, and maybe some other really recent characters. I'm throwing in the towel. But at least the game that's on the way it looks pretty dang good.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
papagenos papagenos what do you think of these new developments? Does this shake somthing up in what you've been hearing?
I always feel so bad that we keep bugging him
no worries bugging me lol

I mean it certainly seems to hurt everyones chances tbh, but I'd say if rare is part of the N64 classic and they add banjo-kazooie to that it could make financial sense for nintendo to choose banjo but I fear several "corrin" like choices are also possible here.

I laid out everything about banjo in my last post in this thread. its from someone I trust but they are also trusting their microsoft source, who i've never spoken with, who also got fooled by the grinch leak so... I mean take it for what it is, I've alwasy just been about giving as much info as possible about this, i've seen no proof of banjo and the person im hearing it from has gotten nothing right. I still trust them, as in I believe they are just trying to get what they heard out there, but whether or not what they heard is true... I really don't know. either way i think banjo has a decent chance.

Top Bottom