• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
For those who ever try to say Banjo was a Rare character and not a Nintendo character.

I actually brought this up a several weeks ago, when I got in a friendly arguement with someone on this thread, He said that Banjo was never owned by Nintendo and was always owned by Rare, This photo begs to differ, Not even the title screen or the end credits of both games say that Rare had ownership , it just said that they created the game and always said

Copyright 1998 Nintendo/Rare
Copyright 2000 Nintendo/Rare

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Timber 64 got canceled wonder if rare will ever show off what they had done with that game like they did with that 2.5 D banjo proto type ?

Flamingbird

Smash Cadet
Watch us get Steve as a playable fighter with the Banjo Minecraft skin as an alternate costume.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Watch us get Steve as a playable fighter with the Banjo Minecraft skin as an alternate costume.
I would mentally burn my copy of Ultimate and pay Sony $60 for nothing just to offset the cost. :p

More like the "Ultimate" kick in the balls.

But I doubt Sakurai is that cruel.
While I agree--and I'm 99% sure Sakurai would not prioritize a Minecraft character over Banjo--the reason for that 1% doubt is, "Yep! It's him."

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Interesting tidbit, the other characters in Diddy Kong racing were all supposed to have their own titles as well. Rare had been plans for that cast.
I'm still a bit pissy about Pipsy not getting her own game.

While I agree--and I'm 99% sure Sakurai would not prioritize a Minecraft character over Banjo--the reason for that 1% doubt is, "Yep! It's him."
You just had to remind me that Bomberman's deconfirmed, huh? :mad:

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The worst possible outcome is if BK get AT'd. That would be a huge kick in the pants and cripple their DLC chances. That's about as likely as Geno getting AT'd, though (not very). If Steve is in, I could see BK sneak in as a trophy to make it later as DLC, not unlike :ultlucas::ultmewtwo: during Smash 4 DLC.

Of course, still paryin for the duo to get in as base characters, no matter the odds. They make too much sense to be in the game, but we've had zero credible leaks or rumors about them, which is concerning. (:ultkrool:Not getting leaked beforehand is my beacon of hope in this scenario.)

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I updated my signature to go from predictions (Because suck at those :laugh:) to wanted characters. Of course, the Bear and Bird are leading the pack! It was way more difficult finding that particular Banjo render without a background than it should have been.
banner wide2.png

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Interesting tidbit, the other characters in Diddy Kong racing were all supposed to have their own titles as well. Rare had been plans for that cast.
I don't believe that is true, actually. Conker's Quest and Banjo-Kazooie were both in development (and also even announced) prior to Diddy Kong Racing. They were plucked from their origin games for DKR, and not the other way around. So really, the other characters never had a chance to star in their own adventures, however, at least we got Tip Tup in the Banjo-Kazooie series.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't believe that is true, actually. Conker's Quest and Banjo-Kazooie were both in development (and also even announced) prior to Diddy Kong Racing. They were plucked from their origin games for DKR, and not the other way around. So really, the other characters never had a chance to star in their own adventures, however, at least we got Tip Tup in the Banjo-Kazooie series.
Your comments don't refute my argument. Also Conker's first appearance was in Diddy Kong racing and he was originally intended to be a normal kid friendly character and Rare made an abrupt change in his development so I know your comment is wrong on that account. Rare had planned to use the other characters in new series or existing series and develop all of the characters in Diddy Kong racing.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah I saw that video shows that there really is a Banjo VS Steve mentality going on

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
Well this game tbh seems to be more geared to the older fans. (if not slightly older) with the stage hazzard toggel and diff stage forms as well as the retro-ish characters.

Gridmorpher

Smash Rookie
I would love for Nintendo to fix its mistake and get Rare back from Microsoft cause they ain’t doing squat with them. Banjo Kazooie along with Golden Sun is just a dead franchise that I strangely have a strong pull towards. Also the anniversary of Banjo Tooie and Nuts and Bolts is next month this might be their time to shine in a reveal ;)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm still a bit pissy about Pipsy not getting her own game.

You just had to remind me that Bomberman's deconfirmed, huh? :mad:
Yeah, I hate reminding myself of that too. To be honest, I prefer Bomberman to Simon Belmont personally--only really good thing of Simon is Dracula's Castle.

Well, Let's add more fuel to the fire with this whole Banjo-Kazooie or Minecraft in Super Smash Bros Ultimate with this debate video uploaded a couple of hours ago.

https://youtu.be/WTa6c4jHDFM
"Banjo can't get in because Microsoft"
"Steve's more likely anyway"
*closes tab*

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While it's great to see someone backing up Banjo-Kazooie in the debate video, But what kind of annoyed me is that guy should of came better prepared for that debate.

2 big factors that could have been mentioned, The first one is how Minecraft on Switch has not just Banjo-Kazooie skins ,But also skins of Master Chief from Halo and Marcus Fenix from Gears of War.

The second one is, While some see it as Nintendo marketing an Xbox character, That's where the N64 Classic comes in, The N64 is the next system in line for the Classic treatment and could potentially include Rare titles if a deal can be worked out by Nintendo and Microsoft ,It can be used as a great way for Nintendo to point new younger gamers and older nostalgic gamers towards the N64 Classic if they are interested or want to relive Banjo-Kazooie's origins and see what they are all about while still making some profits while their at it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I hate reminding myself of that too. To be honest, I prefer Bomberman to Simon Belmont personally--only really good thing of Simon is Dracula's Castle.

"Banjo can't get in because Microsoft"
"Steve's more likely anyway"
*closes tab*
Well, look at it this way, at least Bomberman got to do more here compared to the cancelled Mugen project Card Sagas War.
>here, have a bomb
>bye now
Seriously, so much potential wasted with that game. Doesn't help that Banjo was planned to be playable at one point.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While it's great to see someone backing up Banjo-Kazooie in the debate video, But what kind of annoyed me is that guy should of came better prepared for that debate.

2 big factors that could have been mentioned, The first one is how Minecraft on Switch has not just Banjo-Kazooie skins ,But also skins of Master Chief from Halo and Marcus Fenix from Gears of War.

The second one is, While some see it as Nintendo marketing an Xbox character, That's where the N64 Classic comes in, The N64 is the next system in line for the Classic treatment and could potentially include Rare titles if a deal can be worked out by Nintendo and Microsoft ,It can be used as a great way for Nintendo to point new younger gamers and older nostalgic gamers towards the N64 Classic if they are interested or want to relive Banjo-Kazooie's origins and see what they are all about while still making some profits while their at it.
Yeah, agreed with your points. Also, I was actually rolling my eyes at the Banjo supporter.

Pro-Banjo: "He's highly requested."
Anti-Banjo: "Didn't help Waluigi."
Pro-Banjo: "You got me."
Me: "He didn't become a ****ing meme until his assist trophy, in 2015 he wasn't even in the top ****ing 10!"

:joyful:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah, agreed with your points. Also, I was actually rolling my eyes at the Banjo supporter.

Pro-Banjo: "He's highly requested."
Anti-Banjo: "Didn't help Waluigi."
Pro-Banjo: "You got me."
Me: "He didn't become a ****ing meme until his assist trophy, in 2015 he wasn't even in the top ****ing 10!"

:joyful:
Exactly, Also while Banjo-Kazooie were always wanted, They were always more of a middle of the pack or back end request, But that was only because everyone thought they would be impossible because of licensing issues and that they are owned by a competitor, It wasn't until early 2015 during the Smash Ballot for Wii U that they finally gained traction because Phil Spencer was cool with it and that has been snowballing ever since, Then Ultimate was revealed and Phil is still cool with it and now that more highly requested newcomers like K. Rool and Ridley made the roster, Banjo-Kazooie is now a "Top 3 most wanted newcomer overall" and likely the "Current most wanted 3rd party character" too.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The Easter egg in N&B was clearly a throw away joke so I wouldn't get my hopes for a Threeie announcement. Current Rare doesn't care about its past IP.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The Easter egg in N&B was clearly a throw away joke so I wouldn't get my hopes for a Threeie announcement. Current Rare doesn't care about its past IP.
My hope is they had **** all this year for their 20th anniversary as they had Smash in the pipeline. I'll take Banjo & Kazooie in Smash over Rare ****ing up another Banjo game--Sakurai knows how to appeal to the fans.

EDIT:
Heys guys NairoMK is streaming Banjo-Kazooie right now if you're interested.

http://twitch.tv/nairomk
He promised me Banjo & Kazooie in his Q&A--he better not let me down. :p

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't know whats up rare's A** were they just don't care about there old IP ? I mean for years thats all anyone asks about ever no one gives 2 S**** about there new IPs Sea of snore wouldn't of sold well if it werent for that game pass witch acounted for over half the "sales" & no one even remembers the kinect let alone kinect sports (wii sports rip off) xbox one even droped the kinect so what "new" IP dose rare even have ????

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't know whats up rare's A** were they just don't care about there old IP ? I mean for years thats all anyone asks about ever no one gives 2 S**** about there new IPs Sea of snore wouldn't of sold well if it werent for that game pass witch acounted for over half the "sales" & no one even remembers the kinect let alone kinect sports (wii sports rip off) xbox one even droped the kinect so what "new" IP dose rare even have ????
I'm willing to bet part of the reason is studio head Craig Duncan, He wants Rare to innovate and always bring something new to the industry and not fallback so much on their backlog, Some argue that if Rare didn't do the same thing by experimenting with new IP's during the N64 we wouldn't have gotten Banjo-Kazooie, But theirs nothing wrong with going back to what you know (Hell, Nintendo does it all the time !!!) considering Rare hasn't had a big hit since the N64 era and it's been so long that they really utilize their IP's and have been heavily demanded by fans that the time has been ripe for a while for reboots and sequels of old favorites.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I could understand Craig Duncans logic BUT! we have not had a TRUE banjo kazooie sequile since 2001 !!!! there have been PLENTY of advancmet in not only technology but also game design & philosophy so there IS ZERO excuse for him to say "bring somthing new to the table" when they don't even try ! (Kinect sports was a wii sports rip off! ) plus anything new they try to make will be overshadowed by the sher thurst & demand for there old unused for years iconic IP ! I mean every nintendo focused news outlet have been talking about banjo kazooie nonstop for over 10 years now! people will never forget banjo so why not OH I DON"T KNOW DO SOMTHING WITH THEM???? that = money !!! I hate upity C**** like him, feels like he only wants to make rare do new things so he can go look at all the orginal S*** I did when i was in charge of rare, it must be an ego thing otherwise why not just start or be the head of your own company & make up IP there ? its not like we can just ask another company to make a new banjo game when rare owns it GOD I !HATE! CRAIG DUNCAN !

It would be like being the gifted being the head of nintendo & saying yeah F*** the companys history & beloved IP where only going to do & make NEW IP only BC I said so (as they nonstop nostalgia to shill there new IP like how banjo 20 was just a HUGE sea of S**** promo fest)

Craig Duncan NEEDS TO GO ! he'll just end up being the don mattrick of rare ! the xbox brand is STILL felling the effects of his BS

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I had a interesting thought earlier about a Banjo & Kazooie announcement.

While it's impossible for it to happen it would be very funny:

Imagine as the cutscene starts we first see a few Smash Bros characters (Let's say Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Samus) fighting each other. Cut away from that to show from a distance a Warthog driving around with Halo music kicking in. As the Warthog pulls up the characters stop fighting and look at the Warthog. After a brief pause Banjo & Kazooie leap out of the passengers side with their splash screen "Banjo & Kazooie make a Rare return!". Banjo & Kazooie turn to see Master Chief in the Warthog giving them a thumbs up and saying "Go get 'em Champs" then he drives away.

Cut to E3 2019 or 2020: Microsoft announces Xbox Champions! ;):laugh:

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Your comments don't refute my argument. Also Conker's first appearance was in Diddy Kong racing and he was originally intended to be a normal kid friendly character and Rare made an abrupt change in his development so I know your comment is wrong on that account. Rare had planned to use the other characters in new series or existing series and develop all of the characters in Diddy Kong racing.
Your comments don't refute his claims, either. The fact that Conker was intended to have a kid-friendly game tells us very little about when he was planned to and whether he was taken from an in-development game to be in Diddy Kong Racing or simply included as a fun character who they intended to flesh out later. All we really know is that neither BK nor Conker were cancelled and used merely as convenient assets - the other thing that Juliusaurus seems to be suggesting.

To the best of my knowledge, Rare never cancelled a Conker game, only reworked one beyond recognition a la Project Dream and their N64 strategy game.

Imagine as the cutscene starts we first see a few Smash Bros characters (Let's say Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Samus) fighting each other. Cut away from that to show from a distance a Warthog driving around with Halo music kicking in. As the Warthog pulls up the characters stop fighting and look at the Warthog. After a brief pause Banjo & Kazooie leap out of the passengers side with their splash screen "Banjo & Kazooie make a Rare return!". Banjo & Kazooie turn to see Master Chief in the Warthog giving them a thumbs up and saying "Go get 'em Champs" then he drives away.

Cut to E3 2019 or 2020: Microsoft announces Xbox Champions! ;):laugh:
With crappy MOBAs and Overwatch being the massive successes that they are, I'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't seen a Smash Bros style crossover in the form of a champion shooter from Microsoft yet. Shooters are their signature genre and would be a massive twist on the mascot fighter concept.

Plus, Banjo weiding Kazooie to face off against Master Chief in a semi-gritty shooter would be pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm willing to bet part of the reason is studio head Craig Duncan, He wants Rare to innovate and always bring something new to the industry and not fallback so much on their backlog, Some argue that if Rare didn't do the same thing by experimenting with new IP's during the N64 we wouldn't have gotten Banjo-Kazooie, But theirs nothing wrong with going back to what you know (Hell, Nintendo does it all the time !!!) considering Rare hasn't had a big hit since the N64 era and it's been so long that they really utilize their IP's and have been heavily demanded by fans that the time has been ripe for a while for reboots and sequels of old favorites.
Thing is, the Xbox is seen as that console for "mature gamers that don't need kiddie toys, just angry marines and monster trucks, grr!", so they eventually just ignored the cartoony mascot aspects of Rare in favor of things like Sea of Thieves. I'm not sure if I'd even call it sitting on their laurels, when they barely do much now.

Seriously, even Sega is planning to revive older IPs with new games, Rare has simply no excuse. It's a wonder Battletoads is getting a sequel at all with Rare's current stance on things.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Your comments don't refute his claims, either. The fact that Conker was intended to have a kid-friendly game tells us very little about when he was planned to and whether he was taken from an in-development game to be in Diddy Kong Racing or simply included as a fun character who they intended to flesh out later. All we really know is that neither BK nor Conker were cancelled and used merely as convenient assets - the other thing that Juliusaurus seems to be suggesting.
No, Conker was made after Diddy Kong racing. He argued that Conker was made before Diddy Kong racing. BTW Diddy Kong racing released in 1997, Banjo-Kazooie released in 1998, Conker's bad fur day released in 2001. End of discussion.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Thing is, the Xbox is seen as that console for "mature gamers that don't need kiddie toys, just angry marines and monster trucks, grr!", so they eventually just ignored the cartoony mascot aspects of Rare in favor of things like Sea of Thieves. I'm not sure if I'd even call it sitting on their laurels, when they barely do much now.

Seriously, even Sega is planning to revive older IPs with new games, Rare has simply no excuse. It's a wonder Battletoads is getting a sequel at all with Rare's current stance on things.
In a world where we have Crash N-Sane trilogy, and Yooka Laylee breaking records with crowdfunding, Microsoft/Rare has a way of respecting their old IP by at the very least remaking the original two games, as was planned before it became Nuts & Bolts. But now, even better.

(I'll settle for them only being in Smash though)

JonSmash

Smash Ace
NO conker was being made at the same time as B-K & DKR ! B-K was inspired by conker kiddy vertion of itself & B-K was put on hold with DKR being released for the holaday season istead of banjo they where all being made around the same time even timber 64 but got cancled

YEAH even masterchif got a collection remake game & with a hat in time, yookalaylee, crash, spyro, mario & a few others 3D platformers are on the rise & I would want ether a B-K & B-T 4K reamke on the next gen xbox system with a art direction of the xbox conker remake OR a 3DS remake would be fin with me

On another note 3DS has been & still is getting remakes & ports latley Luigi's mansion just the other day & M&LBIS next year any way we banjo/rare/DK fans can let are voices be heard that we would LOVE a DK64 3DS remake ??? (maybe they can fix or modernise some flaws with the game ?) I WOULD LOVE THAT! anyone want to start a patition for that i would sign it !

if they did remake DK64 I wounder what the DK,Diddy & King K Rool Amiibo would do ? Maybe Krool would be unlocked as a Multyplayer character ?

DIsco chunky amiibo could unlock disco chunky as playable !

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
On another note 3DS has been & still is getting remakes & ports latley Luigi's mansion just the other day & M&LBIS next year any way we banjo/rare/DK fans can let are voices be heard that we would LOVE a DK64 3DS remake ??? (maybe they can fix or modernise some flaws with the game ?) I WOULD LOVE THAT! anyone want to start a patition for that i would sign it !
if they did remake DK64 I wounder what the DK,Diddy & King K Rool Amiibo would do ? Maybe Krool would be unlocked as a Multyplayer character ?
DIsco chunky amiibo could unlock disco chunky as playable !
I don't have any attachment to Donkey Kong but, after seeing Nintendo's take on Diddy Kong Racing for the DS, I don't hold much hope for any Rare remakes.

Top Bottom