• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yooka the Chameleon and Laylee the Bat. Nice nod to the old names while giving it a slight twist (being two parts of a name rather than two instruments.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm loving Laylee but I feel that Yooka could use shorts and a backpack or something...

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I always figured that Yooka would've been a reptile character since the latest teaser, albeit a bipedal one. On the other hand, I never thought of that Laylee would be a bat rather than a bird, which is a nice twist. (His bulbous red nose does look a bit odd on him, though). Anyway, both characters looks great, they're kind of like something out of Nuts n Bolts, albeit less angular than the Bear n Bird. Here's looking forward to more info tomorrow, including some sweet music samples from the game.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
OH MY GOD.
The are so great!
The hype has increased dramatically.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Looking absolutely promising! The alpha looks good, but so far it needs to be polished to brim to bolster it even further.

Laylee makes me think of many cartoony bats, haha-

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I wish I could say off the bat (...no pun intended) that I really like Laylee's design, but, I don't know. I'll have to get used to it, but I don't think it's bad. I do think he/she/it looks pretty cool, maybe I just didn't know what to expect.

Now Yooka, I think, looks awesome. He/She/It seems to be sort of stoic/calm based on his/her/its pose, and the name sounds really fitting to him/her/it as well.

This is going to be the first Kickstarter that I'm going to be backing. It makes me wonder what kind of perks Playtonic will offer us.

Go to UK and drink tea with the team
Grant Kirkhope's ukelele
Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
An autograph from P.O.O.P.
Digital copy of 101%'d DK64

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well at least they actually are purple and green.

They kind of look like something out of Skylanders... though it's mostly the bat that doesn't agree with me.

But the gameplay is what matters, it looks pretty far along.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I must say that I had to get used to these designs. And I agree that it's a good idea to give Yooka something like a shirt or trousers. Just some piece of clothing. It would just fit so well & remind even more on the classic Rare characters. Laylee on the other hand: I love his/her design! This mindless-happy expression on his/her face already defines so much about the character, that I can hardly wait to see some dialogue and scenes from the game!

Tomorrow, we're hearing the finally the first track composed by Grant Kirkhope. But guess what? Here's a snippet (featuring the ever-happy Laylee) :awesome:

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I dunno I probably would've given Yooka a vest or something.
Yeah, or something like a Hawaiian shirt! The writer of Playtonic acknowledged this already, luckily.

Another screenshot leaked, featuring Keith, the minion(s):

Last edited:

RedMacaw95

Smash Rookie
It looks good, I like how creative Playtonic games is doing, having a chameleon that can use his tongue for hanging while the bat carries the chameleon. I really looking foward it tomorrow. But man, I miss Banjo-Kazooie so hard.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Very interesting. Gotta say, I'm likin' these designs, I think it could be very cool come release day!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nintendo should acquire this company and its IP. They need more develops for their IP anyways. Basically most of Rare would return to Nintendo :).

Im assuming mods will let this one stay off topic.

laylee looks amazing in every way. easily my favorite of the 2.

yooka looks damn good too but a little bland. like people said a little bit of accessorizeation would have helped

music sounds out of place for that setting but it will be great anyway.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Im assuming mods will let this one stay off topic.

laylee looks amazing in every way. easily my favorite of the 2.

yooka looks damn good too but a little bland. like people said a little bit of accessorizeation would have helped

music sounds out of place for that setting but it will be great anyway.

I logged on to Smashboards and check this thread because I thought everyone would be talking about the new game.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
IT'S HAPPENING

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Chameleon, eh? Here's hoping they took some inspiration from and developed heavily upon the ideas found in Chameleon Twist. The mechanics of that game could have been simplified in their execution and the gameplay could have been a little more fleshed out but the general concepts were pretty darn good.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
*Lets out high pitched squeal* banjo kazooie was actually the first game I ever played(as long back as i remember anyway) and still honestly the best platformer....so yeah i'm pretty hyped for yooka-laylee XD.
I agree though that Yooka needs some clothing, they both already look like awesome designs but I feel it just needs that little extra personality there.

On topic, i'm very much considering voting for banjo, he'd make for an amazing character but, i'm not sure if Microsoft deserves that kinda publicity for the character.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
To celebrate the Kickstarter launching tomorrow, I'll be playing the Rare N64 trilogy games, starting with DK64, then B-K, and then B-T.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
I've actually been replaying all the rare games with a friend since he never got to play them before, finished banjo kazooie then goldeneye(on 00 agent mode....it was painful) and now onto banjo tooie, i've never played conker, perfect dark or D464 so lookin forward to that.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Chameleon, eh? Here's hoping they took some inspiration from and developed heavily upon the ideas found in Chameleon Twist. The mechanics of that game could have been simplified in their execution and the gameplay could have been a little more fleshed out but the general concepts were pretty darn good.
Heh. Cool that I'm not the only one that got Chameleon Twist vibes from that character :p

I actually, embarrassingly enough have only played the second game... (Blame my child self. I never realized the game was a sequel to a previous title. I don't think I could comprehend them yet actually XD) I certainly plan on seeing if I can find a copy of the first game. How is it anyway? How is it compared to the second?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The more I look at the characters, the more they grow on me. Though that may just be Grant Kirkhope's magical music.

I keep nitpicking little things though, but Yooka is definitely my favorite of the two. They need a backpack.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
All this said, I wonder who the antagonist will be in the game? Will they go with someone based off Grunty, or will they throw a curve ball at us?

(I swear though, if the character rhymes in every sentence, even that would be good enough for me... XD)

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
True, the protagonists don't quite match up to Banjo or Kazooie, but is it even possible to come close to Grunty?

Hopefully we'll see them in the big reveal tomorrow.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Everyone's talking about how they wish Yooka had clothes.
While I'm just imagining how great it would be for Laylee to have a tiny top hat between his ears.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I've pretty much warmed up to these two. XD I'm very hyped for the game and getting more info about it and them.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be reaaaal awkward if both these franchise managed to make it into Smash Bro's!
Yes, totally. I'm excited about this project, but come on. They don't have any star-power (yet). I'm already slightly annoyed when other people suggest niche-characters as well, it just doesn't make much sense, since so many people don't know about these characters and therefore have no excitement and anticipation for them. I didn't play any Mega Man games, but I love his design & knew about his popularity & was immediately interested in his execution. Similar to that, B-K are still the most appropriate Rare characters to join the battle, judging by their wide recognition, their iconic design & their legacy and of course their wide variety of moves :)

Almost 6 hours till the Kickstarter!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Heh. Cool that I'm not the only one that got Chameleon Twist vibes from that character :p
I actually, embarrassingly enough have only played the second game... (Blame my child self. I never realized the game was a sequel to a previous title. I don't think I could comprehend them yet actually XD) I certainly plan on seeing if I can find a copy of the first game. How is it anyway? How is it compared to the second?
I have never been able to find a copy of the sequel. Most sellers in my country aren't even aware there was one so I have no way to compare them.

The first game, however, is a relatively simple 3D platformer that's quite short but relatively lovable due to how everything focuses heavily on the unique tongue abilities Fred and friends posses.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not the only one who's played Chameleon Twist?! ;w;

It's a really fun game, albeit a bit slow and awkward at times. As ryuu said, the game could do with some pacing tweaks and fleshing-out here and there, but the core concept is great and the gameplay is a good laugh. I would definitely recommend it if you can pick it up on the cheap - it's not a genre-defining wunderkind or anything, but it's entertaining and the tongue mechanic alone is worth experiencing for yourself.

Which reminds me, I've never played Banjo-Tooie. I ought to pick it up and take it out for a spin.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman

Im very impressed that just 6 developers worked for this game that looks promesing.
Yes, it looks like an AAA game! Seriously, it looks at least as great as 3D World... and that after 3 months with basic funding, excluding the Kickstarter! This is real witchcraft here :grin:

BTW, there's a new video at IGN:

Why Yooka-Laylee is basically Banjo-Kazooie 3

New gameplay & finally some more music by David Wise & Grant Kirkhope!

(The interview parts are flickering, but the gameplay footage is alright!)

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Speaking of bats, doesn't Laylee look like the ones from DKCR, especially the super-huge one who chases you at one part during a Rocket Barrel level?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I saw the idea of giving Yooka a hoodie and having Laylee sit in that instead of hanging on Yooka's head.

It'd make more sense for Laylee to carry Yooka from the hood rather than Laylee instantly grabbing onto Yooka for jumps too.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Banjo does get it in i do want the possible Dragon Kazooie color to be a reference to it by making Banjo purple. :laugh:

Dem color switches

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:
Top Bottom