• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

D

Deleted member

I have a question, how do you know that type of game would be fun? How would you differentiate the characters from each other? If they all had the same movement speed/stats with just slightly different guns that sort of game would get old quick.
Tchyeah, that's what you'd think, isn't it? And yet people are are still buying up FPS's every year. They all look the same to me.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Tchyeah, that's what you'd think, isn't it? And yet people are are still buying up FPS's every year. They all look the same to me.
This doesn't really address the problem or give a solution to it. Help me figure out your logic here: you know that this will inevitably be a problem with the game if it were made an FPS, yet you still think that making the game an FPS is a good idea? You're basically saying that, yes, the game WOULD get tiresome quickly, just like other shooter games that get tiresome quickly, yet you're somehow presenting this fact in defense of making the game like this?

And do you really think the audience who plays those games is going to drop that franchise for a game with characters that aren't from shooters, that they've likely never heard of?? Characters do not drive gameplay in shooters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Help me figure out your logic here: you know that this will inevitably be a problem with the game if it were made an FPS, yet you still think that making the game an FPS is a good idea? Do you seriously not realize your own contradiction? This doesn't really address the problem or give a solution to it. You're basically saying that, yes, the game WOULD get tiresome quickly, just like other shooter games that get tiresome quickly, yet you're somehow presenting this fact in defense of making the game like this?

And do you really think the audience who plays those games is going to drop that franchise for a game with characters that aren't from shooters, that they've likely never heard of?? Characters do not drive gameplay in shooters.
My only point was that people who buy Xbox's mostly seem to enjoy playing FPS. So for that playerbase, a FPS-type game might appeal more to them than a 2D fighter. But I ain't Arceus, I don't know what would really go down. As was mentioned before, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was apparently changed from being a 3D platformer because they thought Xbox gamers wouldn't like it as much, so just because a type of game is popular with some people it may not be with others.

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
A Rare All Stars game would be great. I'd love a fighting game, but any kind of game would be fine, like a party game or a kart racer (like this concept art http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Banjo-Kart-Racing-cancelled.jpg).

If they did a Rare crossover, I think it should be called "Ultimate Rare Legends". They are characters from the "Rare" company which was formerly called "Ultimate: Play the Game", but they are also literally rare and ultimate characters. Another title idea would be "Rareware Warriors" because it seems to roll off the tongue.

PsychoJosh

My only point was that people who buy Xbox's mostly seem to enjoy playing FPS. So for that playerbase, a FPS-type game might appeal more to them than a 2D fighter. But I ain't Arceus, I don't know what would really go down. As was mentioned before, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was apparently changed from being a 3D platformer because they thought Xbox gamers wouldn't like it as much, so just because a type of game is popular with some people it may not be with others.
And once again I have to repeat myself that my idea is a 3D fighter.

3D. Not 2D.

You don't just haphazardly make a game an FPS without putting any actual thought into it in the hopes that it'll sell units, especially when it's a multi-franchise all-star game. That's how suits think, and suits are the ones killing video games.

You have to pick a genre that suits a multi-franchise video game. Fighters and racing games work great with this style of game, because they lend themselves well to having multiple characters with different stats and abilities, while at the same time being easy to understand for people of all ages. Shooters like COD are designed around having blank slate characters who all control the exact same way and can use the exact same types of guns, and only cater to very specific types of gamers.

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
PsychoJosh, you're living up to your name... This should be a fun discussion to have but you're being really confrontational and abrasive.

PsychoJosh

I'm sorry if I come off that way but I'm really frustrated of having to repeat myself over and over again simply because people can't (or rather, refuse to) read.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry if I come off that way but I'm really frustrated of having to repeat myself over and over again simply because people can't (or rather, refuse to) read.
No one is making you repeat yourself. I simply had a thought to share, but was not really commenting on your ideas at all.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
You know it was Micro$oft that bought Rare from Nintendo, and the IPs just came with them.
Umm.... what?

Ok I don't know what information you recieved, but my friend, Nintendo did NOT create Banjo & Kazooie.. It was indeed created by Rare. Nintendo just licensed the games on their console..

It isn't Rare that is responsible for the demise of the bear and bird, it is MICROSOFT. The ones that purchased the company...
I wrote my response knowing I would get some flack, so I don't blame you guys for giving me a somewhat hard time..

I am aware that Rare made these characters, and I'm also aware that Microsoft bought Rare, which then caused their IPs to move to Xbox systems... I guess what I was referring to was my childhood perspective which was "Rare stole my Nintendo characters!" Even though Rare made those characters, they felt like Nintendo characters. Rare sold out and left Nintendo in the dust, taking some of my beloved characters with them. (Mind you the only characters they took with them that I care about are Banjo & Kazooie, and JoAnna Dark - both of whom they destroyed in new titles.) Now the 360 has ports of those AWESOME N64 games that SHOULD be on the Wii U virtual console, but can't be.

The ONLY reason I'm upset with people's support of Banjo & Kazooie is because if Rare sold out after huge success on Nintendo systems and managed to ruin their IPs after selling out, they can fix their own issues without the free advertising that comes along with having a character put into Smash Bros. I'll also reiterate, that IF Banjo & Kazooie DO get put into Smash.... I'm gonna absolutely love them regardless of my salty feelings towards Rare. :-) I'm not THAT mad about it. Honestly, if it will make a lot of fans happy, I'll be happy for them.

D

Deleted member

I'll also reiterate, that IF Banjo & Kazooie DO get put into Smash.... I'm gonna absolutely love them regardless of my salty feelings towards Rare. :-) I'm not THAT mad about it. Honestly, if it will make a lot of fans happy, I'll be happy for them.
I'm just confused. If you'll really be happy if they make it into Smash Bros....why not skip to that part and vote for them? This DLC is all about making players happy. Let companies figure the rest out. If Sakurai looks at the results of the ballot and sees that an overwhelming amount of people want Banjo & Kazooie in the game, he may make it happen. We don't decide how it happens. This is just our chance to voice who we want in the game. If you say you'd "absolutely love them" to be in Smash, then....go vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I'm just confused. If you'll really be happy if they make it into Smash Bros....why not skip to that part and vote for them? This DLC is all about making players happy. Let companies figure the rest out. If Sakurai looks at the results of the ballot and sees that an overwhelming amount of people want Banjo & Kazooie in the game, he may make it happen. We don't decide how it happens. This is just our chance to voice who we want in the game. If you say you'd "absolutely love them" to be in Smash, then....go vote.
If I vote for 3rd party characters it will be Rayman or Simon Belmont.
I only added that tidbit to the end so people don't think I don't want their wish to come true. If something makes people happy, I'm all for it. (That's why I never had a problem with the idea of Ridley) I shouldn't have joined this conversation, I think I'm just making people mad. lol. I'm sorry!

In fact I'm just gonna take it all back and say GO BANJO & KAZOOIE! If my fellow smashers want you in the game, I do too. The more the merrier darnit!

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
If I vote for 3rd party characters it will be Rayman or Simon Belmont.
I only added that tidbit to the end so people don't think I don't want their wish to come true. If something makes people happy, I'm all for it. (That's why I never had a problem with the idea of Ridley) I shouldn't have joined this conversation, I think I'm just making people mad. lol. I'm sorry!

In fact I'm just gonna take it all back and say GO BANJO & KAZOOIE! If my fellow smashers want you in the game, I do too. The more the merrier darnit!
No problem! But I find the history of Rares development pretty interesting, I must say. Thats indeed something to talk about. From what I know is that Rare had money problems and NEEDED to sell their shares. And since M$ offered more money, they became the real owner.

I don't think there's always one particular party to blame - be it Rare, Nintendo or Microsoft. As ****ty as it is, all these steps appear very logical to me. One just have to step out of the consumer/fan perspective and look at the decisions certain companies have to take to survive. I hate it that the games (and therefore the fans) became the victims of this, of course. But just look at how most ex Rares seem to look at the past in a very peaceful way. They know that there wasn't much anyone could've done, as much as the fans would want it.

Playtonic games is the best that could've happened after the downfall of Rare. Even if Rare made a new Banjo game, it WONT be anywhere near as good as Project Ukulele. You have my bet!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So People want shooters? Take that premise and run with it. Find a way to make it work within the context of what your game is.

Borderlands sort of demonstrates characterization within an FPS but it's not exactly a pick up and play party game like Smash or Mario Kart and it doesn't have the Rare charm at all. My suggestion would be to go further out of the box and have a 3rd person shooter with lots of gimmicky items to collect and character specific abilities. Perhaps even something along the lines of Future Tactics, the comical turn based strategy shooter where literally everything can be blown up, including the ground beneath your feet.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
No problem! But I find the history of Rares development pretty interesting, I must say. Thats indeed something to talk about. From what I know is that Rare had money problems and NEEDED to sell their shares. And since M$ offered more money, they became the real owner.

I don't think there's always one particular party to blame - be it Rare, Nintendo or Microsoft. As ****ty as it is, all these steps appear very logical to me. One just have to step out of the consumer/fan perspective and look at the decisions certain companies have to take to survive. I hate it that the games (and therefore the fans) became the victims of this, of course. But just look at how most ex Rares seem to look at the past in a very peaceful way. They know that there wasn't much anyone could've done, as much as the fans would want it.

Playtonic games is the best that could've happened after the downfall of Rare. Even if Rare made a new Banjo game, it WONT be anywhere near as good as Project Ukulele. You have my bet!
Finally some understanding! Thanks!

I really have no right to complain. If Banjo becomes playable, perhaps it will lead to Banjo Kazooie & Banjo Tooie being added to virtual console along with 007 & Perfect Dark... which would solve the problem I was mad about in the first place! It could even lead to a future relationship between Rare & Nintendo, who knows?

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
So Conker's Big Reunion was released some days ago, and it actually shows MS still has it in them! It looks like Banjo might actually have a bright future, though of course unfortunately with MS rather than Nintendo, but that's better than nothing...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's worse than nothing because I'll never buy an XBone.

I enjoyed Nuts & Bolts, but buying a console for a single game is a mistake I won't make again.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro

I enjoyed Nuts & Bolts, but buying a console for a single game is a mistake I won't make again.
I wouldn't buy a XBone at all, even if it had a Rayman exclusive or a proper Banjo-Threeie.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I found an old TV...

Watching the BK intro on the actual N64 brought back so many feels.

Edit: Well that's nice, I got to Mumbo's Mountain when the game decided to start resetting itself.

I hope the cartridge isn't dead...

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
Just a quick history lesson to alleviate some misinformation going around: The Rare buyout was the product of many different factors, and their sale and subsequent downward spiral cannot be blamed on any one party.

Firstly, Rare was sold because their contract to work exclusively with Nintendo expired. When that happened, Rare gave Nintendo two options: renew this contract and continue their partnership as a second party developer, or Nintendo could buy them out and make them a first party. Nintendo chose to do neither, effectively allowing Rare to go up for sale.

Why did Nintendo let that happen? Well, it coincided with a lot of change in leadership at both the Japanese and NoA branches of Nintendo. Without some of the higher ups that had previously been a huge part of the relationship with Rare, their relationship became more difficult to work with. The relationship slowly deteriorated, and by the time their contracts had come to an end, it was pretty much mutual that the two companies were ready to part ways. The new leadership (led by Mr. Iwata) didn't think they needed Rare anymore.

Nintendo didn't get along well with Rare's development philosophy (they didn't follow a "gameplay comes first" philosophy, instead have a more loose and artistic approach to creating concepts and seeing where they went), and Rare felt creatively constrained under Nintendo's guiding hand. Unfortunately, neither party realized how well their relationship actually worked until it was over.

Once Nintendo allowed Rare to be sold, Microsoft obviously won the bidding war. At first, both Microsoft and Rare were happy and excited to begin their relationship. Microsoft gave Rare the creative freedom they didn't get under Nintendo, which was what Rare wanted. Unfortunately, as is often the case with former-Nintendo partners, new found freedom turns out to be a bad thing. Throughout their years at Microsoft, Rare struggled to get their many random ideas to come together into realized game concepts. They also struggled to adapt to the new hardware, and to adapt to modern game development. Finally, they struggled to find an audience on Microsoft's adult-oriented gaming consoles.

After awhile, Microsoft realized that leaving Rare to their own devices wasn't working... without a corporate guiding hand, they worked hopelessly on prototype after prototype and never arrived at profitable and marketable end-products. They were hopelessly inefficient and without any strong direction, so Microsoft put their boot down and made them do something profitable- Kinect Sports games. Only now, after many years and a change in leadership under Phil Spencer, are we starting to see the classic Rare come out of their shells and become something the Microsoft company are proud to advertise.

Also, for anyone confused on the distribution of Rare and Nintendo IPs after the buyout, here's how it went:
-Most IPs that were created originally by Rare were owned 100% by Rare, despite Nintendo publishing them. The notable exception was, interestingly, Banjo-Kazooie, an IP that Rare created wholly FOR Nintendo and was out and out OWNED by Nintendo while Rare was with them.
-The Donkey Kong IP was always owned by Nintendo, except for, for some reason, the original Kongs created for Donkey Kong 64.
-That's right, as part of the distribution of IP ownership, NINTENDO owned Banjo, and Rare owned Tiny, Chunk, and Lanky Kong. When they split up, they made a trade, in which Nintendo allowed Rare to keep Banjo and related properties, while Nintendo owned everything Donkey Kong related. Nintendo didn't want their Donkey Kong IP to be divided, and they had no use for Banjo at the time because Iwata was shortsighted.
-Diddy Kong Racing was mostly made up of Rare made characters, but it did include some Donkey Kong elements. Nintendo retained ownership of Diddy Kong and the Kremling species, but everything else in the game, from unique characters to the environments and location names, stayed owned by Rare.
-Goldeneye 007 was complexly divided in rights between Rare, the developer, Nintendo, the publisher, and Activision, who ended up buying the James Bond video game rights.

Hope this cleared up some confusion for people.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that thinks that maybe Phil is one of the few Xbox heads that has known what a real video game is?

Anyway, most of everything else that has come from Microsoft and the like feels like nothing more than virtual war simulators to me... No offense to any one of course whom may actually like that stuff they pump out every single year. I also agree with James on that one matter.. I for one will certainly not be getting a console I would only be getting like 4 or 5 titles for.. lol. There is like one IP that interests me of Microsoft (That being, obviously, Banjo), and like five other IPs I actually care about from Sony. (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper. The first being dead in the water at the moment, the second drowning in the toy's come to life scheme of Activision's, and the latter three I am just barred from from not wanting to have to buy a brick just to play them...)

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick history lesson to alleviate some misinformation going around: The Rare buyout was the product of many different factors, and their sale and subsequent downward spiral cannot be blamed on any one party.

Firstly, Rare was sold because their contract to work exclusively with Nintendo expired. When that happened, Rare gave Nintendo two options: renew this contract and continue their partnership as a second party developer, or Nintendo could buy them out and make them a first party. Nintendo chose to do neither, effectively allowing Rare to go up for sale.

Why did Nintendo let that happen? Well, it coincided with a lot of change in leadership at both the Japanese and NoA branches of Nintendo. Without some of the higher ups that had previously been a huge part of the relationship with Rare, their relationship became more difficult to work with. The relationship slowly deteriorated, and by the time their contracts had come to an end, it was pretty much mutual that the two companies were ready to part ways. The new leadership (led by Mr. Iwata) didn't think they needed Rare anymore.

Nintendo didn't get along well with Rare's development philosophy (they didn't follow a "gameplay comes first" philosophy, instead have a more loose and artistic approach to creating concepts and seeing where they went), and Rare felt creatively constrained under Nintendo's guiding hand. Unfortunately, neither party realized how well their relationship actually worked until it was over.

Once Nintendo allowed Rare to be sold, Microsoft obviously won the bidding war. At first, both Microsoft and Rare were happy and excited to begin their relationship. Microsoft gave Rare the creative freedom they didn't get under Nintendo, which was what Rare wanted. Unfortunately, as is often the case with former-Nintendo partners, new found freedom turns out to be a bad thing. Throughout their years at Microsoft, Rare struggled to get their many random ideas to come together into realized game concepts. They also struggled to adapt to the new hardware, and to adapt to modern game development. Finally, they struggled to find an audience on Microsoft's adult-oriented gaming consoles.

After awhile, Microsoft realized that leaving Rare to their own devices wasn't working... without a corporate guiding hand, they worked hopelessly on prototype after prototype and never arrived at profitable and marketable end-products. They were hopelessly inefficient and without any strong direction, so Microsoft put their boot down and made them do something profitable- Kinect Sports games. Only now, after many years and a change in leadership under Phil Spencer, are we starting to see the classic Rare come out of their shells and become something the Microsoft company are proud to advertise.

Also, for anyone confused on the distribution of Rare and Nintendo IPs after the buyout, here's how it went:
-Most IPs that were created originally by Rare were owned 100% by Rare, despite Nintendo publishing them. The notable exception was, interestingly, Banjo-Kazooie, an IP that Rare created wholly FOR Nintendo and was out and out OWNED by Nintendo while Rare was with them.
-The Donkey Kong IP was always owned by Nintendo, except for, for some reason, the original Kongs created for Donkey Kong 64.
-That's right, as part of the distribution of IP ownership, NINTENDO owned Banjo, and Rare owned Tiny, Chunk, and Lanky Kong. When they split up, they made a trade, in which Nintendo allowed Rare to keep Banjo and related properties, while Nintendo owned everything Donkey Kong related. Nintendo didn't want their Donkey Kong IP to be divided, and they had no use for Banjo at the time because Iwata was shortsighted.
-Diddy Kong Racing was mostly made up of Rare made characters, but it did include some Donkey Kong elements. Nintendo retained ownership of Diddy Kong and the Kremling species, but everything else in the game, from unique characters to the environments and location names, stayed owned by Rare.
-Goldeneye 007 was complexly divided in rights between Rare, the developer, Nintendo, the publisher, and Activision, who ended up buying the James Bond video game rights.

Hope this cleared up some confusion for people.
Thank you! Couldn't have said that better (and I didn't know about the whole struggle for freedom in the transition phase, so this is interesting).

On the bright side...

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Actually, I believe Project Spark and the Conker DLC is on the PC, assuming you have the specs of course.

I've actually kind of warmed up to Microsoft, and that's saying something considering what they tried to pull almost 2 years ago. Phil Spencer seems like a pretty cool guy. I won't be buying an Xbone anytime soon though.

Fulsaburgore

Smash Cadet
Idea for an alternate final smash aside from the jigginator. Banjo and Kazooie summon Mumbo to cast a spell and Mumbo turns Banjo and Kazooie into rockets and then they fly into two opponents and two big explosions happen. Is this a good idea? Reply to share your thoughts.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I don't recall a rocket Banjo in any of the games. Pulling the FS from nowhere seems like a bad move to me.
Yeah. The only time moves should really be pulled from nowhere is when the character doesn't have any to work with to begin with.. (Like how Falcon's were pulled from thin air for example)

For characters like Banjo who have a large move pool.. it would be somewhat of an insult to fans.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
After taking a closer look at your avatar, it's looks a bit like one of the Demon Sisters from Panty & Stocking. They even have their own version of the Great Mighty Poo who's the size of Godzilla and sadly doesn't sing like Rare's version. :troll:
People still know PSG exists? I though everyone forgot it .-.

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
An alternate to the Jiggonator Final Smash would be the Daddy T-Rex transformation, or the Jiggy Rain from Sonic Racing.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, but that's your personal reason. Just like Rayman, I just wish the IP to survive and have success, wherever that is. Otherwise, we won't see anything at all... which puts the chance of having an actual good & true Banjo game to 0%. I won't buy a XBone as well, but that's another story...

Edit:
Also, Grant has some new info:

We'll hear a song from an actual world of the game!

Last edited:

Fulsaburgore

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but that's your personal reason. Just like Rayman, I just wish the IP to survive and have success, wherever that is. Otherwise, we won't see anything at all... which puts the chance of having an actual good & true Banjo game to 0%. I won't buy a XBone as well, but that's another story...

Edit:
Also, Grant has some new info:

We'll hear a song from an actual world of the game!
Woah wonder what the countdowns For? Probably a trailer I assume

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even though I can't say I expect B&K, it's just so nice to see them embraced by the fanbase again, what with the art and the discussions and all. Coming from someone who has wanted them literally since Smash 64, with B&K being my favourite non-Smash game, if we actually ended up getting them by some miracle, my Smash career would be all but complete.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
This should be hype enough to keep us busy until E3 this June. Let us prepare for the next generation, all to be revealed soon.

Top Bottom