• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was thinking about how a theoretical multi-jump mechanic would work for Dee.

The obvious solution is that Dee just flaps his arms as he does in the games, or jumps multiple times with a puff of sparks under his feet in the vein of helpers. That, to me, would seem shoehorned. I think there are other options that would fit Dee's character and set him apart from other multi-jumpers (most of whom either flap their wings or puff themselves up like a giant balloon).

What if Dee used his Spearcopter as a multi-jump? He can jump, then spin it up to thrice more with varying levels of intensity. This would open up more options for his up-b, but it would have to be a non-lethal hitbox to compensate.

The other option is that Dee could have a unique jump mechanic that sets him even further apart from others: he could use his Spearcopter to glide back to the stage, in a manner reminiscent of Peach's float. The difference here is that Dee drifts downwards when he uses it, rather than moving in a straight horizontal trajectory, and most importantly, he can't attack while he floats down as Peach can: doing so cancels the animation and returns him to his safe-fall. It'd be more akin to Peach's up-b in that case, but to ensure it's relatively balanced, he can't deactivate / reactivate the animation and he can only use the float for a few seconds before he falls. Maybe holding the animation for its maximum duration would send Dee into freefall to make it a relatively risky option, so he has to decide if it's best to use it or his up-b instead. Depending on how effective his up-b is, the float could even replace his double-jump, so he can jump -> float rather than jump -> jump as others can!
Well, he is one of the few characters who actually do a mid-air jump in their own game, so him having a few in Smash wouldn't be odd. Personally, I'd copy-paste his spearcopter as-is from Return to Dream Land.

That's one of the points I like about him, actually. Unlike most other characters where you have to adapt their moves to work in Smash, Bandana Dee's source material writes a moveset by itself without needing any modifications, allowing him to be much more faithful to his games than other newcomers.

Smash Bros and Kirby have very similar engines, enough that I subconsciously try to roll in Kirby games although it's not possible there. :laugh:

:231:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So, can anyone tell me about how the propaganda went while I was gone? I'd really love to know. :)

Last edited:
Question. How would you all react to Bandana Dee's trailer? Personally, I'd cry until I'm completely dehydrated, then refill myself with the tears of the Deetractors. :happysheep:
Well, towards the build up, I would be sweating like crazy. Then, when he is reveal, I will probably have a heart attack, and die. In Peace.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I am making all these comments, I don't even know if I can make the homemade bandana successfully. My plush still needs to arrive and I don't even know if it will be large enough.
I have both of the recent Waddle Dee plushes (2009 red, and 2014 orange) - if you'd like me to take some measurements of noggin circumference or suchlike, let me know!

Besides which, I like the Spearcopter~ ;3
There's a big Toy Factor point to this, which I think is pretty important to bear in mind (you surely already know this, but just to make a note of it for the uninitiated, this is a game design philosophy which remembers that video games are themselves toys, and must therefore be fun to play with). A fair bit of Smash's design almost certainly takes Toy Factor into account, seeing as the entire series is about a person playing with plushes and, later, action figures.

Even if for this reason alone, discounting all others, the Spearcopter would be an essential inclusion.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I have both of the recent Waddle Dee plushes (2009 red, and 2014 orange) - if you'd like me to take some measurements of noggin circumference or suchlike, let me know!
I have no idea if mine is a recent plush or not, but here are the details: Official, licensed Kirby Waddle * plush toy made by San-ei and imported from Japan.

It has yet to arrive.

*It actually says Waddle. No Dee

A pic (hoping it works):

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
@ Shadow Keebey Shadow Keebey - Yep, that's the red version. Give me a moment, please, I just need to find a tape measure.

EDIT: Measuring from just above the white shines in his eyes (approximately 3cm/1" from the very top of his head), the circumference is 31cm/12".

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
@ Shadow Keebey Shadow Keebey - Yep, that's the red version. Give me a moment, please, I just need to find a tape measure.

EDIT: Measuring from just above the white shines in his eyes (approximately 3cm/1" from the very top of his head), the circumference is 31cm/12".
Can I say, I don't know how to make the knot in the back. I think it will literally be a section of a blue* t-shirt cut out of the tee and placed on Dee's head.

* Not sure if it's the correct shade of blue.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Can I say, I don't know how to make the knot in the back. I think it will literally be a section of a blue* t-shirt cut out of the tee and placed on Dee's head.

* Not sure if it's the correct shade of blue.
Are you going to attach it like a real bandana, or are you going to cheat a bit and sew one up?

If it's the former, this might be useful.

If it's the latter, use a sleeve from the shirt and follow this (you can roll any excess inside, or trim it later on), then make up the knotted part from some leftovers, and sew it to the back.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Are you going to attach it like a real bandana, or are you going to cheat a bit and sew one up?

If it's the former, this might be useful.

If it's the latter, use a sleeve from the shirt and follow this (you can roll any excess inside, or trim it later on), then make up the knotted part from some leftovers, and sew it to the back.
Some things to consider:

1: I've never sewn in my life, and I don't want my first attempt to potentially ruin a Cute plush.
2: It's a short sleeved shirt. I don't know if that changes anything
3: The bandana guide shows a square (regular) bandana and I plan on cutting out a circle.

Honestly, I'm thinking about cutting the 12.4" circumference out of the shirt and just placing it on his head. It seems so much simpler. Granted the makeshift bandana would fall off so easily. I could ask someone to do the sewing thing. But the makeshift bandana itself would have to be sewn onto Dee's head to keep it in place.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
1: I've never sewn in my life, and I don't want my first attempt to potentially ruin a Cute plush.
A fair point! It's not that difficult, though - you just thread a needle and make a bunch of knots at the end of the thread, sew a line through the fabrics that need to be attached to each other whilst leaving a little gap at the side so that the fabric can't unravel and let the thread out, and then stitch a bunch of knots at the other end - just think of it sort of like drawing, but whilst weaving a thread through the surface. The examples I provided would only apply to the bandana, which should stay put alright on its own once it's made. :)

2: It's a short sleeved shirt. I don't know if that changes anything
Without decently-sized pre-made sleeves, it does. In that case, you'd need to cut a rectangle of about 2" or 3"x13" or 14" (this is a little over so you have a bit of extra room to work), and make a tube out of it first by sewing the two short edges together as described above, and then following that second link I posted before.

3: The bandana guide shows a square (regular) bandana and I plan on cutting out a circle.
I'm not sure that that would work. The tube's probably the easiest bet for something that looks right, if you don't mind learning how to make it up.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
A fair point! It's not that difficult, though - you just thread a needle and make a bunch of knots at the end of the thread, sew a line through the fabrics that need to be attached to each other whilst leaving a little gap at the side so that the fabric can't unravel and let the thread out, and then stitch a bunch of knots at the other end - just think of it sort of like drawing, but whilst weaving a thread through the surface. The examples I provided would only apply to the bandana, which should stay put alright on its own once it's made. :)

Without decently-sized pre-made sleeves, it does. In that case, you'd need to cut a rectangle of about 2" or 3"x13" or 14" (this is a little over so you have a bit of extra room to work), and make a tube out of it first by sewing the two short edges together as described above, and then following that second link I posted before.

I'm not sure that that would work. The tube's probably the easiest bet for something that looks right, if you don't mind learning how to make it up.
The thing is, I have the circumference, so the circle shouldn't be too hard. For the section at the back I could cut a smaller section and try and fold it (or crumple it) into a sphere and get someone to stitch it on. That's if I can convince this person to help. If not, no bandana.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
On the subject of things I ordered, I managed to order two of the amiibos I'm looking for, and I managed to pre-order M2. Now, this is a quiz for those with good memory, which two amiibos did I order aside from Mew2. I have previously mentioned the amiibos I needed and my hint is: I'm looking for all Pokemon and Kirby amiibos.

Oh, by the way, this is my question of the day, as I am running low on Kirby related questions.

Last edited:

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Question. How would you all react to Bandana Dee's trailer? Personally, I'd cry until I'm completely dehydrated, then refill myself with the tears of the Deetractors. :happysheep:
Take it this way:I don't know very much about Lucas, never played Brawl or any Mother game, and I don't like Ness very much.
I went ****ing crazy for him.
I LOVE Kirby and Bandana Dee, I've played a few Kirby games and like all the Kirby characters in Smash.
Once Bandana Dee is announced, I'll flop around (I know, wierd) and automatically make plans to to buy him.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Or you just don't know how to use them.
because I dont competitively play, I like mario but not the moves... stop being smart:glare:
B. D. is a good idea, but I prefer Tiki
they are completely different, you dont need to go to a thread to say you prefer a character over another:ohwell:, sorry if thats rude its just weird:confused: hope I didnt offend you:facepalm:
Seeing it put like this, I realise that Bandana Waddle Dee has a good in-universe point that goes in his favour: He's Dedede's bodyguard.

I mean, yes, we know this, but bear with me: BWD is the bodyguard of that one big strong guy who's twice as big as everyone else on Popstar. It speaks volumes about Bandana Dee's strength and skill (and it does make me wonder how he earned the post).

With a massive overkill battleship.

Actually, come to think of it, there was only one who he aimed to attack with the Halberd... Bandana Waddle Dee is strong enough to defend against the Halberd, confirmed!

Man, that's scary... :crazy:

Speaking of popular drawings on Miiverse, though, look what's been on the front page of the general Smash section all day!

Nice work with that request, Chandy! :smash:
dora, lol

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/
The main problem with these polls is that not everyone who votes in the ballot is actually voting in this. It can give a good idea of the general amount of votes but a lot of people don't use smashboards. We can't really know which character is actually being highly voted on until/if they are released.

Dark_Pit

Smash Cadet
The main problem with these polls is that not everyone who votes in the ballot is actually voting in this. It can give a good idea of the general amount of votes but a lot of people don't use smashboards. We can't really know which character is actually being highly voted on until/if they are released.
This poll was distributed on gamefaqs, reddit, and so on. Not just smashboards.

Just wanted to clarify.

Edit: Also this ballot wasn't stuffed, it was pretty secure. And im pretty sure people who go to these sites actually voted.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This poll was distributed on gamefaqs, reddit, and so on. Not just smashboards.

Just wanted to clarify.
This and also the only people who know about the ballot are hardcore Smash/Nintendo fans. Actual casual fans would have no idea the ballot exists unless they somehow watched the specific direct the ballot was mentioned (it was only talked about in the April 1st one) or if another fan who knows about the ballot told the person about it. Also if the person checked the website but why would they do that lol they casuals. So the polls are actually a good representation of the ballot.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Guys, I've been wanting to tell you all something about the ballot, but I did't know how you'd all react.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm pretty sure it's not something important or surprising.
Sorry, I don't know the right words in english to not make this comment sound rude XD

Top Bottom