• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Stats:
Weight: 79 (Metaknight, Pikachu)
Jumps: 2
Falling Speed: 1.22 (Luigi)
Air Speed: 0.893 (Falco)
Dash Speed: 1.37 (Squirtle)
Gravity: 0.065 (R.O.B.)

Neutrals:

(Jab): BD swings his spear horizontally. (4%)
(Jab Combo): BD repeatedly stabs his spear forward dealing damage until the button is released. (Infx1%)
(F-Tilt): BD extends his arm and stabs with his spear. Has decent hitstun. (7%)
(D-Tilt): BD pokes is spear forward close to the ground. (5%)
(U-Tilt): BD quickly stabs his spear upwards. (5%)
Smashes:

(F-Smash): BD takes out a parasol and twirls it forwards hitting multiple times. Low knockback. (8x2%)
(D-Smash): BD does a Parasol Twirl like in the Kirby Games. It is similar to Pikachu's D-Smash. (4x3%)
(Up-Smash): BD pokes an unopened Parasol upwards and pops it open. High knockback. (13%)
Aerials:

(Nair): BD twirls his spear similar to Pit's Nair. (4x2%)
(Bair): BD swings his spear backwards, has decent knockback. (7%)
(Fair): BD does a full overhead swing of his spear. At the tip it hits a meteor smash. (9%, 13% Sweet Spot)
(Uair): BD stabs his spear upwards multiple times with nice stun, but little knockback. (3x3%)
(Dair): BD smashes into the ground with a Megaton Punch. This creates a small shock-wave where he lands. (14%, 4% for shockwave)
Grabs:
Grab is the Circus throw from the Kirby games.
(Pummel): BD slightly tosses the enemy up a bit. (2%)
(F-Throw): BD bounces the enemy slightly and bounces them forward. (9%)
(U-Throw): BD forcefully opens the parasol. High knockback. (12%)
(B-Throw): BD bounces the enemy slightly and bounces them backward. (9%)
(D-Throw): BD twirls his parasol, hitting multiple times and sending the enemy downwards. (6x2%)

Specials:

(Neutral Special: Spear Throw)
Bandanna Dee throws a spear in an arc. The longer you hold it, the farther it goes. It can be used in air. (9%)

(Forward Special: Shotzo)
Bandanna Dee holds out a Shotzo. The Shotzo has to fire 3 shots each time it is used before BD puts it back. The shots can be aimed up, forward, or at a 45 degree angle. (4% per shot)

(Up Special: Spear Copter)
Bandana Dee charges up and then starts to twirl his spear very fast above his head. He begins to float in mid-air. The longer BD charges the Spear Copter the longer he is in the air. At minimum it is 2.5 seconds and at max it is 4.5 seconds. Bandanna Dee goes into a helpless state after it is used. The spear can also deal minor damage. (2%)

(Down Special: Parasol)
When used on the ground, Bandanna Dee shields himself in a single direction with his Parasol. The Parasol deflects (not reflects) all projectiles, similar to powershielding. The controls are similar to that of the Cracker-Launcher item from Brawl. You can aim it higher or lower, but you can also walk left and right while using it. You can also turn around by double tapping left or right.

It can also be used in the air, but instead it allows you to float. This greatly reduces your falling speed and increases your air speed. Bandanna Dee can act out of this.

Final Smash: Waddle Dee Tank
Bandanna Waddle Dee summons a massive Waddle Dee tank from the Kirby's Return to Dreamland Mini-Game. It is similar to the Landmaster controls as it can damage people as you run into them, but it can attack. The Waddle Dee can fire homing missiles on the enemies.

This was my moveset in the OP.

I think that Bandana Dee would be able to out range most enemies with far range pokes with his Spear. His only two good KO moves are his Up-Smash, Down-Smash, Up-Throw, and F-Air. Your main strategy is to quickly rise up the opponent's percentage, and then finish them off with one of the KO moves.
Sounds well thought out and balanced. Kudos to you sir.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I haven't been here for a while, but I thought I'd drop by to throw my two cents in.

That bias Sakurai showed with Palutena giving her 12 moves for no adequate reason could possibly spell the best bit of news for the Bandana Brigade.

Did Sakurai himself create Bandana Waddle Dee or was it post Sakurai?

Either way a high contender for delicious DLC at the very least...unless Sakurai decides he wants to rep Kid Icarus: Uprising even more.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I haven't been here for a while, but I thought I'd drop by to throw my two cents in.

That bias Sakurai showed with Palutena giving her 12 moves for no adequate reason could possibly spell the best bit of news for the Bandana Brigade.

Either way a high contender for delicious DLC at the very least...unless Sakurai decides he wants to rep Kid Icarus: Uprising even more.
Sakurai created him, but he was only given larger roles once he left.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Hi YoshiandToad!
Wow, I completely forgot about Palutena's 12 Special Moves, I will add that to the "Sakurai's Modesty" section of the OP.
Also, cogratulations for the new Captain Toad game, it looks awesome!

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee still looks like a cool and likely possibility. Even though Palutena is in She barely even uses her staff and Bandana Dee's spear would play very differently. At first I was a little worried with all the diffrent staff esque weapons like gannon's trident(just an concept not actually going to happen.), bdee's spear, krystals staff all being added with palutena probably being in, but they can all be in very different. Palutena's only move That I could've seen BD use is her neutral air.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
So, I've come up with yet another Bandana Dee moveset that revolves mostly around the spear, but with a few Kirby ability references for the throws. Here:
All attacks here assume the enemy is at the body of the spear. The tip causes 5% more damage from normal attacks.
Walking animation: same from Return to Dreamland.
Running animation: Same from Return to Dreamland.
Ground Jump Animation: Same from RtDL.
Air jump animation: Summersault.
Back jump animation: Same as Kirby's
Aerial back jump: Reverse summersault.
Basic AAA: Spear Multithrust (the basic, standing still attack from Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe) First jab causes 3%, the jabs all do 3%, and final one does 5% with slight knockback.
Side-Tilt: a further thrust, does 5% with slight knockback.
Up-Tilt and Up-Smash: Up-stab. tilting results in near-instant hit with 3% damage, charged smash is slower but has a hitbox on Bandana's center as he quickly twirls it, causing 2% damage and flinching, before stabbing upwards. (if you've played the game and payed attention to the animation, you'll know why this is) Max charge causes 10%, Min charge causes 4%
Down-Tilt: Slide. (the traditional Kirby slide kick, Bandana bounces a bit if he hits the foe and simply slides a couple of feet if he doesn't) Causes 3% damage and a flinch.
Side Smash: An even stronger far thrust that comes after a quick twirl. Twirl: 1%, no flinch Min: 5%, Max: 9%
Down Smash: A forward thrust followed by a back thrust. (based off the reverse-thrust move you can use if you press B+< after the first normal thrust) First thrust at min causes 3%, while the back does 4%. Max charge causes 7% and 10% respectively with greater knockback on the back thrust.
Dash attack: A short Pole-Vault kick. (Based only off of the fact that most polearm-wielders have this type of move available to them.) Does 5% damage with small knockback

Aerials
Neutral (EDITED): Moon Somersault Kick. Bandana performs a backflip kick. Causes 10% damage and slightly decent knockback.
Forward: Same as Kirby's. Same damage, too.
Back: Same as Kirby's. Ditto Fair.
Up: a spinning upward thrust. (essentially a reverse-Moon Drop, except he doesn't fly off into the horizon.) each hit causes 2% damage. the move lasts for 3 seconds. (I'm not sure how much of an exact measurement "frames" are, being a casual player.)
Down: Moon Drop (Same mechanics from the game; stall then fall). Each hurt causes 2% damage. if caught by the tip when the move activates, it becomes a meteor smash. However, it has to be the EXACT tip of the spear's tip, otherwise it's still a stall-then-fall. Acts basically like ZSS and Shiek's Brawl Dairs; It can be jumped out of, but might still lead to one's doom.

Grab Throws
Grab: simply reaches out with his stubby arm/hand.
Pummel: Headbutt. 1% damage.
Forward throw: Arm Throw (Fighter Kirby's throw when you press forward/up after grabbing the foe.). Causes 5% Damage.
Up Throw: Air Drop (Same as Meta Knight and Kirby). Same damage as Kirby's. EDIT: Or the Circus Throw from Parasol, does 3% damage.
Down Throw: Fury Stomp (Same as Meta Knight and Kirby [You'll notice a sort-of tradition with this: Meta Knight and Kirby both have the same up and down throws, only a slight difference in power and animation. For Bandana's, his is exactly like Kirby's for both]). Same damage as Kirby's.
Back Throw: Judo Throw (Fighter Kirby's throw when you press Back or Down after grabbing a foe). Does 5% damage.

Specials
Up: Waddle Copter (the Spear Copter move given a personal touch for Bandana). Causes a sort-of suction effect; Draws enemies in and then damages them. Each hit causes 2% damage.
Neutral: Spear Throw (can be charged to throw three spears). Does 7% damage and causes decent knockback.
Side: Spin Kick (based off of both Fighter Kirby's move and the Arena description for Return to Dreamland that states "When the Bandana-Wearer kicks"). The move itself is exactly like in Kirby Triple Deluxe (and possibly Return to Dreamland, I'm not sure). It's three kick move. The first does 1%, the second does 5%, and the last one does 10% damage with decent knockback.
Down: Quake Punch (Partially original; based off of Megaton Punch, but weakened considerably to just be like Yoshi's down special, except much less jump height when used on the ground). Causes shockwaves like the Edge Guardian (Sword Ability-giving miniboss from KRtDL and TD)'s shockwave move (in place of stars like Yoshi). Causes 8% damage from actual punch, Shockwaves do 5% damage

Final Smash: Megaton Punch. (The player literally plays the Megaton Punch mini-game, complete with Gauge, Timer, and Courser rounds, however, if used/activated above a pit, Bandana will Self-Destruct and the effect will end when he comes down punching) Minimal damage is 15% with so-so somewhat decent knockback. Max damage is 35% with practical guarantee of KO-power knockback.

Taunts
Up: Spins like Kirby, but trips up and falls on his face for a moment.
Side: adjusts namesake
Down: Twirls Spear and poses a few times.

So, what does everyone think? does it work? I try to give Bandana a somewhat childish personality since that's how I view the character. Like I state in the moveset, the kick moves were based off of the Arena description, and I quote, "when the bandana-wearer kicks..." I also took the throws from Fighter, Ninja, and Suplex since 1, Kirby himself doesn't use the Fighter throws, and 2 the up and down throws are shared by Meta Knight and Kirby with some slightly different properties, so it's more-or-less possible that Bandana would also share them since he is very much similar to Kirby and Meta Knight in the first place.

EDIT: Sorry if the numbers are to little or too low, I'm not exactly good with specific measurements of attack power. Keep in mind this is also thinking about the character from a Casual perspective, much like most of the cast has been with Smash Brothers. Everyone please keep in mind that Smash hasn't always been made for competitive play; it's a family-oriented game.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Final Smash: Megaton Punch. (The player literally plays the Megaton Punch mini-game, complete with Gauge, Timer, and Courser rounds, however, if used/activated above a pit, Bandana will Self-Destruct and the effect will end when he comes down punching)
I don't care if we get anything else cool, just give me this and I'm totally satisfied.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't know why, but the Intro of Kirby's Return to Dreamland

looks and sounds pretty cool with this Kid Icarus Uprising music XD

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Maybe Waddle Dee could have the dance as his FS.
Yeah no. How can dancing, when it has NO SPECIAL PROPERTIES WHATSOEVER, possibly be an attack? I'm sorry, and I don't mean to offend in any way at all, but please learn the character before you suggest an attack, let alone a Final Smash, for them. A dance may work for Luigi and Peach, but that's because they use powers with it that directly tied into their personalities and make sense. Luigi's darkness manifested in the Negative Zone, and Peach's lighthearted niceness and cheer make everyone fall into a peaceful slumber as she consumes the fruit she's named after.

Bandana's dancing is just him expressing joy at winning, nothing more. Kirby didn't dance for his Final Smash, why should Bandana Dee when the first bit of his history ever would work just fine? And if anyone wants to complain about Megaton Punch and Quake Punch just being the same move with different power levels, let me remind that Great Aether is LITERALLY just Aether ramped up with flames and extreme power plus some Pyrokineses thrown in there because.....Fire Emblem. or at least, I'm thinking it's just because Fire Emblem, because I admittedly know nothing about Ike from having rather limited experiance with Fire Emblem; Heck, the only game I've really gotten any experience with in the series is the first one that was localized, the one that stars Lyndis and Eliwood. So admittedly I can't really tell why the flames are there, but my point still stands; Dancing should only be a taunt unless it has super special powers that didn't come from nowhere, and two moves essentially just being different levels of each other already works. oh, did I forget to mention ROB? Of course, HIS Final smash was also his Diffusion Beam/Laser, which was basically just an EX Eye Lasers attack.

Just saying, Bandana Dee dancing for his ultimate move doesn't work, especially when he has his first ever appearance to be his ultimate move.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Yeah no. How can dancing, when it has NO SPECIAL PROPERTIES WHATSOEVER, possibly be an attack? I'm sorry, and I don't mean to offend in any way at all, but please learn the character before you suggest an attack, let alone a Final Smash, for them. A dance may work for Luigi and Peach, but that's because they use powers with it that directly tied into their personalities and make sense. Luigi's darkness manifested in the Negative Zone, and Peach's lighthearted niceness and cheer make everyone fall into a peaceful slumber as she consumes the fruit she's named after.

Bandana's dancing is just him expressing joy at winning, nothing more. Kirby didn't dance for his Final Smash, why should Bandana Dee when the first bit of his history ever would work just fine? And if anyone wants to complain about Megaton Punch and Quake Punch just being the same move with different power levels, let me remind that Great Aether is LITERALLY just Aether ramped up with flames and extreme power plus some Pyrokineses thrown in there because.....Fire Emblem. or at least, I'm thinking it's just because Fire Emblem, because I admittedly know nothing about Ike from having rather limited experiance with Fire Emblem; Heck, the only game I've really gotten any experience with in the series is the first one that was localized, the one that stars Lyndis and Eliwood. So admittedly I can't really tell why the flames are there, but my point still stands; Dancing should only be a taunt unless it has super special powers that didn't come from nowhere, and two moves essentially just being different levels of each other already works. oh, did I forget to mention ROB? Of course, HIS Final smash was also his Diffusion Beam/Laser, which was basically just an EX Eye Lasers attack.

Just saying, Bandana Dee dancing for his ultimate move doesn't work, especially when he has his first ever appearance to be his ultimate move.
I think that he was referring to King Dedede's Waddle Dee Army dance from brawl.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind another Kirby character :D
4 Kirby characters is not too much. Zelda still has 5, which is more than Kirby, and Pokemon may have more than both of them again (Jiggs, Pikachu, Greninja, Charizard, and possibly a grass pokemon like Sceptile and possibly Mewtwo? EDIT: Oh derp, knew I was forgetting someone, Lucario. So Jiggs Pika Greninja Char Lucario is still 5).

Anyway thanks for a good writeup, it was an enjoyable read.

About Sakurai though -- he might not feel very interested in adding Bandana Dee if he's only becoming important recently, since he stopped working on Kirby games in 2003. He might have some resentment or not like the way they are promoting him as a main character, or something. Thoughts?

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I don't think Sakurai holds any resentment towards Kirby. He does voice Dedede, after all!

Maikou

Smash Ace
Why would Sakurai resent his own series? even if he doesn't work on it anymore, it's still one of Nintendo's greatest franchises and it's doing great right now. Besides, how can anyone say no to adding a main fourth character to a series that deserves it?

LF2K

Floor Diver
Mario's getting 5, Zelda's probably getting 5, who knows how many Pokémon's getting, so four Kirby characters seems very plausible. And with the attention BD's getting, his inclusion is looking extremely plausible.

One thing I happened to notice was Palutena was teased a few times before she got revealed. Perhaps we've seen the same thing with BD? The Gordo Toss seems peculiar. Why would that move be changed? :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Because Smash 4 is removing a lot of the elements of randomness from previous titles?

Maikou

Smash Ace
Personally I think Sakurai's trying to cater to the Competitives as best he can while keeping casuals like myself in mind as well, but leaning more toward the competitive crowd after Brawl's apparent failure in most people's eyes.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Perhaps. But it's still strange he's tossing Gordos instead of Waddle Dees. Hopefully, we'll get to see Dedede's new Final Smash sometime soon to see if he's ditched the Waddle Dees for good. Masked Dedede would be awesome!

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Why would Sakurai resent his own series? even if he doesn't work on it anymore, it's still one of Nintendo's greatest franchises and it's doing great right now. Besides, how can anyone say no to adding a main fourth character to a series that deserves it?
Rather, not resenting his series, but perhaps not liking what they may have done with Bandana Dee after he left or just not liking him that much. Not that I think this (I'm also not very familiar with the Kirby series, Sakurai did create Bandana Dee too right?), but wanted to know what you guys think regarding the possibility of such a thing stopping Sakurai from adding him :D

Mario's getting 5, Zelda's probably getting 5, who knows how many Pokémon's getting, so four Kirby characters seems very plausible. And with the attention BD's getting, his inclusion is looking extremely plausible.

One thing I happened to notice was Palutena was teased a few times before she got revealed. Perhaps we've seen the same thing with BD? The Gordo Toss seems peculiar. Why would that move be changed? :smirk:
I was getting my hopes up after that Direct but then I saw Waddle Dees in the smash run. So that might have been the reason.

I will really miss throwing Waddle Dees T_T

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'be been wondering, considering that Bandana Dee HAS been shown to talk before, (Kirby Super Star Ultra) do you think he should have a voice actor/actress? I'm personally leaning towards him having Brina Palencia as a voice actress. I seem to just be able to picture her portraying him so well, capturing his innocence and all. Also, what do you think his FS should be? Megaton Punch? the Waddle Dee Tank from Returns? or (dare I say it?) the Waddle Dee Army?

Harry9855

Smash Rookie
NNID
yo9855
3DS FC
3265-5509-5736
Hey guys, I'be been wondering, considering that Bandana Dee HAS been shown to talk before, (Kirby Super Star Ultra) do you think he should have a voice actor/actress? I'm personally leaning towards him having Brina Palencia as a voice actress. I seem to just be able to picture her portraying him so well, capturing his innocence and all. Also, what do you think his FS should be? Megaton Punch? the Waddle Dee Tank from Returns? or (dare I say it?) the Waddle Dee Army?
I don't feel strongly either for or against having a voice actor/actress, but the FS question got me interested. Maybe when he activates his FS, he jumps up in the air and hovers in the air for 5 seconds. The more the player presses the "a" button, the more damage his attack will do. And finally he megaton punches the ground, and the punch itself and the debris it causes are what damages the opponents. I think the Waddle Dee Tank would be cool also.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Rather, not resenting his series, but perhaps not liking what they may have done with Bandana Dee after he left or just not liking him that much. Not that I think this (I'm also not very familiar with the Kirby series, Sakurai did create Bandana Dee too right?), but wanted to know what you guys think regarding the possibility of such a thing stopping Sakurai from adding him :D
As far as I know, Sakurai worked on Kirby Super Star (original) and from that it is logical to say that Sakurai is the most likely person to have created him. Personally, I feel Sakurai would like what they've done to Bandana; making a significant character who's officially a 4th main character out of someone who was originally just there to be the first and easiest character to beat in a mini-game.
I don't give opinions on actual, specific voice actors unless I truly know who they've voiced and how well (in my opinion) they've done with them, so I can't really say anything about your choice of VA. could you possibly give a link to some of her works? And as for the Final Smash, well, I firmly believe that Megaton Punch works best; After all, it's not only unique and original and unmistakable for something else, it's also the very first piece of Bandana's history.
I think that he was referring to King Dedede's Waddle Dee Army dance from brawl.
Yeah I was, not to say I wouldn't like it if he got the move or not.
Oh, Sorry then. My mistake. Please specify next time so I don't get confused. However I still disagree on the choice; Even as Dedede's right-hand-man, I feel Bandana should have Megaton Punch since it's more in line with himself and he is canonically seen using it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As far as I know, Sakurai worked on Kirby Super Star (original) and from that it is logical to say that Sakurai is the most likely person to have created him. Personally, I feel Sakurai would like what they've done to Bandana; making a significant character who's officially a 4th main character out of someone who was originally just there to be the first and easiest character to beat in a mini-game.

I don't give opinions on actual, specific voice actors unless I truly know who they've voiced and how well (in my opinion) they've done with them, so I can't really say anything about your choice of VA. could you possibly give a link to some of her works? And as for the Final Smash, well, I firmly believe that Megaton Punch works best; After all, it's not only unique and original and unmistakable for something else, it's also the very first piece of Bandana's history.

Oh, Sorry then. My mistake. Please specify next time so I don't get confused. However I still disagree on the choice; Even as Dedede's right-hand-man, I feel Bandana should have Megaton Punch since it's more in line with himself and he is canonically seen using it.
Well, I'll send you a link later if I can, but I can definitely say some of her of her roles are: (but definitely NOT limited to) Chiaotzu and Puar (Dragon Ball Z Kai), Tony Tony Chopper (One Piece), Case Closed (Vi Graythorn), and various roles on Space Dandy. Like I said, I'll try to send you a link later, but I think it's kind of safe to say she has quite the extensive resume.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So...Tingle, Magnus and Shadow are AT...

I know this is old XD

I seriously think Bandana Dee is not an AT, I think he is playable or a part of Dedede's Final Smash, because you know...he is an important character, he will be in the game in some form (not just as a sticker or trophy XD).

What do you think?

IronFish

Smash Ace
So...Tingle, Magnus and Shadow are AT...

I know this is old XD

I seriously think Bandana Dee is not an AT, I think he is playable or a part of Dedede's Final Smash, because you know...he is an important character, he will be in the game in some form (not just as a sticker or trophy XD).

What do you think?
I think if he weren't playable, he would be AT, and he isn't AT...

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
do you guys know when Nintendo hosts directs? if they have one in side the time frame before smash bros you think that waddle dee will make an appearance or just give that direct for the veterans?

LF2K

Floor Diver
Directs tend to be once a month. However, we probably won't see one soon because E3 just ended. Probably August or September, maybe July if we're lucky.

D

Deleted member

Major, worldwide Directs happen every two months. If a Direct happens in months like January or July for example, they would most likely be local Directs.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I think there's gonna be a nintendo direct late July/early August and mabye a Smash direct Late August before the game releases in Japan.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
so we all agree we want the DEE :3 lol jk but ya I think Late july is a reasonable time to do a direct

Top Bottom