• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, by the way, I got two questions for you all...

While this was discussed previously, do you prefer the Metroidvania style of Amazing Mirror, or the more traditional styles of Nightmare in Dreamland? Along with that, do you prefer the older, more action-based Kirby games, or the newer puzzle-based Kirby games?

The main reason I ask the first question is that after spending a little time messing around with doors 'n stuff again, along with playing a bit of Amazing Mirror to study it's level design, I realized I can quite easily turn Return to Dreamland's level system into a full Metroidvania. The reason for this is because each level is connected, with the Goal Game actually ending it. If the Goal Game doesn't exist, the level will continue into the next one. Here's an example:

The game files present the levels as "World" > "Level" > "Step". World is obviously the world (ie: World1 is Cookie Country), Level is quite explanatory, too, (ie: "World1" > "Level1" is 1-1) while Step focuses on the actual rooms in the level.

Now, let's say you're on World1 > Level1 > Step05, standing right next to the Goal Game. Usually, if you go in this door, it triggers the actual mini-game, then sends you out the level door that you came in. However, if you replace the Goal Game with a standard door that's set to proceed into the next Step.dat, while Step05 is the last one in 1-1, you end up appearing in Step01 of Level2.

Using this, I can change it so that all the different worlds are simply the different "hubs" that you come in once you enter a mirror:

Generally, the way this would work is that all the different worlds are connected, possibly including Halcandra's worlds. There is no level system or anything, but rather once you enter a world, the level hub is of a similar style to the picture above. You can go two routes, which will most likely be the first and second level doors of that world. After you enter, it'd play out just like Amazing Mirror. However, instead of finding the different hubs to unlock them, as that system isn't implemented in Return to Dreamland, you'd have to find the boss, kill them, which would then lead you to the next "hub". Eventually, you'd make your way to Landia's place, where the story would continue as normal. Luckily, the cutscenes can't mess with this, either.

The only possible problem is that if you're exploring enough, you could probably make your way to Halcandra without actually collecting the Lor Starcutter pieces. I'm guessing this can be fixed by making it so you must explore the first five full areas, gather the pieces, then travel to Halcandra, similar to how you need to get all the pieces of the Dimensional Mirror before being able to proceed. Once you've made it to Halcandra, I don't believe Metal General actually gives you anything, so he can be an optional boss.

I'd also need to test what'd happen if you collected the pieces out of order. That may potentially ruin this, as there's a chance the game will crash. If it does, there's probably ways to work around this, I just haven't thought about them yet.

By the way, it's very likely that I won't make the current project into a Metroidvania styled game. I'm certain the classic Kirby style is more favorable by a mass majority, considering how much hate Amazing Mirror got, so I'd rather put my effort into something worthwhile. However, I may make some mini-mod of sorts focusing on the style, iunno.

---

The second question is equally as important, as it'll help me decide how to focus the game's elements. I prefer the more action-based levels of Super Star, but I know some people prefer the puzzle elements of games like Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe. Maybe I can combine them...

---

Also, I have a third question! Does anybody here actually like Ninja Dojo or Scope Shot? Personally, I found them to both be good minigames that were extremely hindered by poor environments. I don't really like the whole futuristic dead wasteland with some random robot thing appearing, especially considering how off the music was. With Ninja Dojo, my main problem was Kirby being so angry all the time. It just ruined the mood of the mode, honestly. I'm thinking of fixing them up, but I don't know if anybody actually likes the gameplay enough that they'd go back and play them.

Also, I have a third question! Does anybody here actually like Ninja Dojo or Scope Shot? Personally, I found them to both be good minigames that were extremely hindered by poor environments. I don't really like the whole futuristic dead wasteland with some random robot thing appearing, especially considering how off the music was. With Ninja Dojo, my main problem was Kirby being so angry all the time. It just ruined the mood of the mode, honestly. I'm thinking of fixing them up, but I don't know if anybody actually likes the gameplay enough that they'd go back and play them.
I really liked Scope Shot, but I wish it had more stages.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A lot of users here are unaware of an generally overlooked category of fighters that was created after Brawl called "characters that aren't necessarily iconic but appeal to newer fanbases".

:4robinm::4mii::4wiifit::4lucina::4darkpit::4villager::4lucario::4greninja::4shulk:and to an extent:4bowserjr: :4palutena: :rosalina::4zss: are all characters that you would have to really stretch the meaning of iconic and are probably in because they are/were popular during the game's development.

If we used our arbitrary "they have to be iconic" rule, why would any of these characters be added? It's 2015 and there are at least 30-40 "iconic" Nintendo characters in the game. There are very few viable choices left that can really be iconic anymore.

Let's move on and let some newcomers have a shot too.
Indeed, most of the characters we received were more or less a reminder that we are running out of iconic characters from Nintendo's history or "All-Stars" in general. Some All Stars since the past few years either had been rejected (Ridley) or outright get ignored (Dixie/K. Rool) for certain reasons since uniqueness would be one of the deciding factors for most characters.

While Bandanna Dee is no way considered an All Star, he's definitely a necessity for the small Kirby representation we have for now. This blue wearing Dee is the closest thing to the most reoccurring characters that aren't one-shot villains or minor characters that had been forgetten for years. Sure there's characters like Galacta Knight or Doroach, but their followings had been either minuscule or they aren't as marketable as him.

So ummm yeah, expect a lot of ensemble dark horses and unexpected characters over the "fan demanded classics" in our future Smash titles.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That whale was scary, giant creatures in general are scary, like that eel from Mario 64.
xD Are you kidding me? THAT WHALE IS SO PRETTY! I always wished I could get near to it or fly above it!

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
That whale was scary, giant creatures in general are scary, like that eel from Mario 64.
But in talking about scary underwater creatures, what about scary underlava creatures, like those lava eels in KTD?

EDIT: I don't find those scary, but I made it sound like I do.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So today is my B-Day! The only game-related thing I got is an Ike amiibo (from my "rich" brother) which I have already used in Code Name STEAM. I named him Lark, after my fantasy RPG Persona.
Happy B-Day!
If you want, I can take that Ike amiibo off your hands. :troll:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So, apparently the Shovel Knight amiibo is compatible with SSB4. Excuse me while I go throw up.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Oh, by the way, I got two questions for you all...

While this was discussed previously, do you prefer the Metroidvania style of Amazing Mirror, or the more traditional styles of Nightmare in Dreamland? Along with that, do you prefer the older, more action-based Kirby games, or the newer puzzle-based Kirby games?

The main reason I ask the first question is that after spending a little time messing around with doors 'n stuff again, along with playing a bit of Amazing Mirror to study it's level design, I realized I can quite easily turn Return to Dreamland's level system into a full Metroidvania. The reason for this is because each level is connected, with the Goal Game actually ending it. If the Goal Game doesn't exist, the level will continue into the next one. Here's an example:

The game files present the levels as "World" > "Level" > "Step". World is obviously the world (ie: World1 is Cookie Country), Level is quite explanatory, too, (ie: "World1" > "Level1" is 1-1) while Step focuses on the actual rooms in the level.

Now, let's say you're on World1 > Level1 > Step05, standing right next to the Goal Game. Usually, if you go in this door, it triggers the actual mini-game, then sends you out the level door that you came in. However, if you replace the Goal Game with a standard door that's set to proceed into the next Step.dat, while Step05 is the last one in 1-1, you end up appearing in Step01 of Level2.

Using this, I can change it so that all the different worlds are simply the different "hubs" that you come in once you enter a mirror:

Generally, the way this would work is that all the different worlds are connected, possibly including Halcandra's worlds. There is no level system or anything, but rather once you enter a world, the level hub is of a similar style to the picture above. You can go two routes, which will most likely be the first and second level doors of that world. After you enter, it'd play out just like Amazing Mirror. However, instead of finding the different hubs to unlock them, as that system isn't implemented in Return to Dreamland, you'd have to find the boss, kill them, which would then lead you to the next "hub". Eventually, you'd make your way to Landia's place, where the story would continue as normal. Luckily, the cutscenes can't mess with this, either.

The only possible problem is that if you're exploring enough, you could probably make your way to Halcandra without actually collecting the Lor Starcutter pieces. I'm guessing this can be fixed by making it so you must explore the first five full areas, gather the pieces, then travel to Halcandra, similar to how you need to get all the pieces of the Dimensional Mirror before being able to proceed. Once you've made it to Halcandra, I don't believe Metal General actually gives you anything, so he can be an optional boss.

I'd also need to test what'd happen if you collected the pieces out of order. That may potentially ruin this, as there's a chance the game will crash. If it does, there's probably ways to work around this, I just haven't thought about them yet.

By the way, it's very likely that I won't make the current project into a Metroidvania styled game. I'm certain the classic Kirby style is more favorable by a mass majority, considering how much hate Amazing Mirror got, so I'd rather put my effort into something worthwhile. However, I may make some mini-mod of sorts focusing on the style, iunno.

---

The second question is equally as important, as it'll help me decide how to focus the game's elements. I prefer the more action-based levels of Super Star, but I know some people prefer the puzzle elements of games like Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe. Maybe I can combine them...

---

even though I won't play your game cause I don't wanna hack my wii or something, I'll still answer your question cause why not. Personally I prefer the newer more puzzle based levels over the ones from adventure and superstar, and although I did enjoy amazing mirror and would be interested to see another Kirby game like that, I prefer normal Kirby gameplay.

Indeed, most of the characters we received were more or less a reminder that we are running out of iconic characters from Nintendo's history or "All-Stars" in general. Some All Stars since the past few years either had been rejected (Ridley) or outright get ignored (Dixie/K. Rool) for certain reasons since uniqueness would be one of the deciding factors for most characters.

While Bandanna Dee is no way considered an All Star, he's definitely a necessity for the small Kirby representation we have for now. This blue wearing Dee is the closest thing to the most reoccurring characters that aren't one-shot villains or minor characters that had been forgetten for years. Sure there's characters like Galacta Knight or Doroach, but their followings had been either minuscule or they aren't as marketable as him.

So ummm yeah, expect a lot of ensemble dark horses and unexpected characters over the "fan demanded classics" in our future Smash titles.
I'm kinda glad of how they choose characters, I think it's good and helps viraity that a character doesn't have to be 10 years old and make a huge impact on the gaming industry to be in, although it doesn't mean I want only new characters to appear. Also I annoys me a bit that a lot of people think new characters appearing in smash is a new (not talking about you, but your comment helps me move to that) ignoring that a lot of characters were new at the time of the previous games' releases.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So, apparently the Shovel Knight amiibo is compatible with SSB4. Excuse me while I go throw up.
And the same site has also said that Zero Suit Samus is compatible with Duck Tales Remastered, that the Amiibo Cards and Anniversary Mario aren't compatible with anything outside of the games they were released with, and that the Chibi-Robo Amiibo works with Smash, all of which is false. NoA's Amiibo site is absolutely notorious for its ludicrous errors. ;)

AndreaAC

>Implying a whale can't just swallow you whole compared to a shark.

I'm with Chandeelure Chandeelure here. =u=
.U. Well, being swallowed whole by a Whale could be less painful than being torn apart by a Shark.

xD Beside, whales doesn't eat meat...just, err...how is it called? Cril?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So today is my B-Day! The only game-related thing I got is an Ike amiibo (from my "rich" brother) which I have already used in Code Name STEAM. I named him Lark, after my fantasy RPG Persona.
Happy Birthday!

Zero this is not your fault.
You did not start the argument, Wiimas started it by claiming that Daisy is better choice than Toad or something like that.
I never thought I was the direct cause, I just felt like I could/should have prevented it from worsening, but that isn't really important, your both right in that I shouldn't be taking responsibility for it, I guess I may be a bit overly protective of this thread if I'm taking responsibility for things like that :laugh:.
Seriously though, thanks, you guys. I mean that.

I wouldn't worry about that, last week the site had the Chibi-Robo amiibo as compatible with Smash, it's known for making mix-ups like that frequently:p.
I prefer the traditional style, but I feel mixed on this because a amazing mirror style Kirby Wii sounds absolutely phenomenal, I can't really choose :p.

I guess you could say I prefer the puzzle based ones and I think I can pinpoint the reason why, if that helps at all. When I was playing Kirby's Dreamland 3, it suddenly struck me that I liked it for an entirely different reason than why I liked Super Star, that one reason being that it gave me enough time in each level and I interacted just enough with the surroundings in each level to really "feel" the world and immerse myself in it, don't get me wrong I love the action in Super Star but I feel like capturing that kind of feeling is what turned KDL3 from being a "meh" Kirby game to a great one for me personally.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
.U. Well, being swallowed whole by a Whale could be less painful than being torn apart by a Shark.
=u= At least being munched to death is faster to get out of the way then eternal suffering inside a belly of a whale! xD So, again, 2spooky4me!

Anyways,. back to DEE.

AndreaAC

=u= At least being munched to death is faster to get out of the way then eternal suffering inside a belly of a whale! xD So, again, 2spooky4me!

Anyways,. back to DEE.

xD No, you first see how the Shark torns apart your leg and lots of blood, later, it still munches you until you die, it depends.

.U. Aw, how cute!

AndreaAC

xD Haha, but seals are SOOOOO cute!

TTUTT How could you know see this cutie as ADORABLE? xD
*DIES BECAUSE OF SEAL CUTENESS OVERLOAD*

xD Well, that's a baby harp seal after all, the adult seals could turn DDD into sushi or something...or how I say in spanish, hacerlo carnitas.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Seals are vicious little penguin-eating gits. You think they'd cut Dedede's bodyguard any slack? Hell no they wouldn't. :p They'd eat him, too, and then you'd be supporting the seals eating the Waddle Dees, too!

... Man, are we this desperate for news that we're even having this crazy conversation? :laugh:

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434

Anyways,. back to DEE.

Am I the only one who found it funny that in the first picture, Bandana Dee has flames in his eyes?

AndreaAC

Seals are vicious little penguin-eating gits. You think they'd cut Dedede's bodyguard any slack? Hell no they wouldn't. :p They'd eat him, too, and then you'd be supporting the seals eating the Waddle Dees, too!

... Man, are we this desperate for news that we're even having this crazy conversation? :laugh:
xD Sorry, but I wouldn't have any problem with that happening, I love seals.

.u. I'm not desperate for anything.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Want to know how Bandana Dee got hired by Dedede?
Let me tell you how.
Waddle Dee is the true terror of the seas.
Don't believe me?
Do you know what the inspiration for Harpoons are?
Spears.
They were made to be like spears that can be propelled to reach any distance underwater.
You know who can traverse far underwater, wields a spear and can actually aim their spear down there, in ways that a harpoon can't?
BANDANA DEE, WITH GOGGLES AND A INNER TUBE.
That is the real reason he's King Dedede's number one henchmen, can Meta Knight go underwater to get Tuna for his (lazy) majesty with minimal effort?
Well, uh, he can, but Dedede prefers waddle dees, so there you have it folks, the true origin of Bandana Dee, there is no way this could possibly be wrong, no way. (It isn't the real backstory, OR SO YOU THOUGHT.)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
xD Sorry, but I wouldn't have any problem with that happening, I love seals.
I am firmly on the side of the penguins on this. :p

EDIT;

Want to know how Bandana Dee got hired by Dedede?
Let me tell you how.
Waddle Dee is the true terror of the seas.
Don't believe me?
Do you know what the inspiration for Harpoons are?
Spears.
They were made to be like spears that can be propelled to reach any distance underwater.
You know who can traverse far underwater, wields a spear and can actually aim their spear down there, in ways that a harpoon can't?
BANDANA DEE, WITH GOGGLES AND A INNER TUBE.
That is the real reason he's King Dedede's number one henchmen, can Meta Knight go underwater to get Tuna for his (lazy) majesty with minimal effort?
Well, uh, he can, but Dedede prefers waddle dees, so there you have it folks, the true origin of Bandana Dee, there is no way this could possibly be wrong, no way. (It isn't the real backstory, OR SO YOU THOUGHT.)
And he can fend off the invading seals that way, too! :p

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And the same site has also said that Zero Suit Samus is compatible with Duck Tales Remastered, that the Amiibo Cards and Anniversary Mario aren't compatible with anything outside of the games they were released with, and that the Chibi-Robo Amiibo works with Smash, all of which is false. NoA's Amiibo site is absolutely notorious for its ludicrous errors. ;)
Samus compatible with DuckTales Remastered? I'm pretty sure you have to TRY to screw something up that badly. That can't have been an accident. Next Greninja will be compatible with Wonderful 101.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Samus compatible with DuckTales Remastered? I'm pretty sure you have to TRY to screw something up that badly. That can't have been an accident. Next Greninja will be compatible with Wonderful 101.
I thought the Greninja amibo let you play as him in Wonderful 101. Silly me.
Also, I hate the thought of Shovel Knight in Smash, and that "leak" seems fake to me.
Here's some cute pictures for fun (Not glory):

Also, this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom