• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wah. But if he's in Smash he'll be in Mario Maker most likely.

I don't know why people care about BWD's moveset. As long as he's in Smash, I don't care what attacks he has, no matter how terrible some may be.
I hope he is a Marth clone.

No, but seriously, I'm pretty sure he would be unique and that he would be decent competitively.
Also, patches exist.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't know why people care about BWD's moveset. As long as he's in Smash, I don't care what attacks he has, no matter how terrible some may be.
If there's a move that seems terrible, you learn how to use it and you make it work. Simple as that. :grin: For example, there are people who believe that Dedede's Jet Hammer is useless, but once you know how to apply it, it really, really isn't. :smash:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Are there any Kirby songs you guys have second-guessed (i.e you heard it, didn't like it, but then you warmed up to it)? I couldn't even list the amount I have, but here are some highlights:

Brawl Marx Battle (I actually triple guessed that one).
Drawcia Sorceress (Most recent, earlier today)
02 Original and Brawl (Original I thought started off too slowly and was boring, Brawl Ver. with the background "Hey"s)
I found Sullied Grace a bit meh at first, but now I love it.

Magalor phase 1 is so underrated. And it's called under my control.
I love that song! It is as good as Phase 2 to me. Moonstruck Blossom is really good too, I think.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

what is everybody's favorite Kirby songs?
Don't ask me that it will take me forever to list all my favorite Kirby tracks, i will state that i think the Dedede battle theme sounds Delicious and if i could turn it into a sandwich i would eat nothing else.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

I'll still play him if he's terrible ( I second Pichu in melee and main Puff in Brawl, so I'm already used to playing crappy characters:laugh:), but I really hope he doesn't get anything near as bad as Spinphony (For those of who didn't know, this is a move that wastes 3 seconds of your time to deal a whopping 3% damage and minimal knockback, yay?), Bandana Dee doesn't deserve that kind of fate (not that anyone else did).

Are there any Kirby songs you guys have second-guessed (i.e you heard it, didn't like it, but then you warmed up to it)? I couldn't even list the amount I have, but here are some highlights:

Brawl Marx Battle (I actually triple guessed that one).
Drawcia Sorceress (Most recent, earlier today)
02 Original and Brawl (Original I thought started off too slowly and was boring, Brawl Ver. with the background "Hey"s)
I originally dismissed Zero's first battle theme because it wasn't like the others, but later on I realized that it wasn't mean't to be and it didn't have to be, and it was pretty awesome in it's own way.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I forgot about Meta Knight and King Dedede's theme from Epic Yarn. And Butter Building from Epic Yarn. And Green Greens from Epic Yarn. And- **** it- everything from Epic Yarn.
Magalor phase 1 is so underrated. And it's called under my control.
Oh, is it? Can't say I knew that.

That's what people said about Mewtwo, and look how that turned out.

Reila

While we're on the subject of music, what is everybody's favorite Kirby songs?.
Oh no you didn't... Here we go then. The favorites:

Crowned
Under my control
Moonstruck Blossom
Sullied Grace
Floral Fields
Marx Theme
Green Greens (most versions, even the funky Mass Attack one and especially the Return to Dream Land version)
Meta Knight's Revenge
vs. Meta Knight
King Dedede's Theme (most versions)
0² Theme (including the Brawl version)
vs. Nightmare 2
Ice Cream Island (Sea Area)
Float Islands (many versions)
Lava Landing
Kine's Theme
The Strongest Knight in the Galaxy
Steel Hometown
vs. Necrodeus

...among others

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I forgot about Meta Knight and King Dedede's theme from Epic Yarn. And Butter Building from Epic Yarn. And Green Greens from Epic Yarn. And- **** it- everything from Epic Yarn.

Oh, is it? Can't say I knew that.

That's what people said about Mewtwo, and look how that turned out.
Simple mistake.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Although I do like Bandanna Dee, Sailor Waddle Dee, and Meta Knight more than King Dedede, he gets points for having character development in a Nintendo game. Same with Luigi.

I didn't like Moonstruck Blossom or Magolor Phase I at first, but the former is one of my favorite themes in the series.
While we're on the subject of music, what is everybody's favorite Kirby songs? Mine are Revenge of the Enemy, C-R-O-W-N-E-D, The Strongest Knight in the Galaxy, and Floral Fields, in that order.
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
02 Battle (Original, I detest the "Hey!"s in the Brawl version for throwing off the vibe I loved about the original)
Silent Forest (64)
Underwater Ruins (64)
Boss Battle (64)

I only have experience with 2 and a half Kirby games so my list isn't very big, but I love the entire soundtrack of Kirby 64 and the Crystal Shards.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If there's a move that seems terrible, you learn how to use it and you make it work. Simple as that. :grin: For example, there are people who believe that Dedede's Jet Hammer is useless, but once you know how to apply it, it really, really isn't. :smash:
Ohohohohohoho.........IT REALLY AIN'T USELESS, THAT'S FOR SURE!:awesome:

Furret24

Smash Master
For example, there are people who believe that Dedede's Jet Hammer is useless, but once you know how to apply it, it really, really isn't. :smash:
Jet Hammer is useless, even if you know how to use it.

Also, I haven't been reciveing notifications from this thread, so sorry for my tiny hiatus here.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ohohohohohoho.........IT REALLY AIN'T USELESS, THAT'S FOR SURE!:awesome:
Be afraid of the Jet Hammer. Be very afraid. :evil:

Jet Hammer is useless, even if you know how to use it.
If anyone's finding it useless, then they don't know how to use it. It's superb for both taking large chunks out of shields and getting shield-breaks leading to KOs, KO'ing lightweight opponents who are behaving in a cocky fashion, and for mid-air "Get offa me!" swipes during recovery, amongst other things. It's great when the latter nets a KO, too.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero

If anyone's finding it useless, then they don't know how to use it. It's superb for both taking large chunks out of shields and getting shield-breaks leading to KOs, KO'ing lightweight opponents who are behaving in a cocky fashion, and for mid-air "Get offa me!" swipes during recovery, amongst other things. It's great when the latter nets a KO, too.
Don't forget those hard reads where an F-Smash can't get to.

Furret24

Smash Master

Jet Hammer can be stopped by any projectile with knockback, making it virtually impossible to use for shield pressure due to it's lag and "meh" range outside of crappy players. It also has too much lag off-stage, which results in SD's when using it there. Besides, N-Air would be better for that due to it doing more damage than uncharged Jet Hammer and being much faster overall. His B-Air is better for off-stage killing too.

TL;DR: Dedede always has a better option over Jet Hammer in every possible situation.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Jet Hammer can be stopped by any projectile with knockback, making it virtually impossible to use for shield pressure due to it's lag and "meh" range outside of crappy players. It also has too much lag off-stage, which results in SD's when using it there. Besides, N-Air would be better for that due to it doing more damage than uncharged Jet Hammer and being much faster overall. His B-Air is better for off-stage killing too.

TL;DR: Dedede always has a better option over Jet Hammer in every possible situation.
I believe that was more of problem in Brawl than Smash 4. I'm not even joking. Whenever I use the move, it seems to literally plow through projectiles like it's nothing now.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Jet Hammer can be stopped by any projectile with knockback, making it virtually impossible to use for shield pressure due to it's lag and "meh" range outside of crappy players.
Are you sure? I've never encountered this at all. You're vulnerable whilst charging, sure, but you can still jump to avoid things.

It also has too much lag off-stage, which results in SD's when using it there.
If you know how to use it, it absolutely doesn't. Using it too low is stupid, of course. :laugh:

Besides, N-Air would be better for that due to it doing more damage than uncharged Jet Hammer and being much faster overall. His B-Air is better for off-stage killing too.
Absolutely. But sometimes, they just don't see it coming! There's also the odd occasion where you'll flub a shielding Gordo, and on those rare occasions, the Jet Hammer very well can save your tail-feathers.

Except in situations where it's appropriate to use the Jet Hammer and there are no better options. :laugh: They do exist.

Furret24

Smash Master
I believe that was more of problem in Bawl than Smash 4. I'm not even joking. Whenever I use the move, it seems to literally plow through projectiles like it's nothing now.
I meant as you're charging it up. It seems to have a lot of priority now when attacking with it.

Yes, it was worse in Brawl, as it was pretty weak. In this game, it can kill at 50%.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I meant as you're charging it up. It seems to have a lot of priority now when attacking with it.

Yes, it was worse in Brawl, as it was pretty weak. In this game, it can kill at 50%.
I KO'ed a rushdown lightweight who was at 30% or so with it, recently, after overcharging it (which did me no damage, being at over 100% already at the time). They came charging at me, I let it swing, and WHAM! Home-run! I won the set. :laugh:

Furret24

Smash Master
Are you sure? I've never encountered this at all. You're vulnerable whilst charging, sure, but you can still jump to avoid things.
Yes, you can jump over stuff, but it's easy to get punished for jumping too.

If you know how to use it, it absolutely doesn't. Using it too low is stupid, of course. :laugh:
If you're near the upper blastline at the edge, fast falling your aerials is a much faster and more reliable option of getting back on the stage safely.

Absolutely. But sometimes, they just don't see it coming! There's also the odd occasion where you'll flub a shielding Gordo, and on those rare occasions, the Jet Hammer very well can save your tail-feathers.
Jet Hammer uncharged starts of Frame 27. Gee, how fast. Neutral air starts Frame 7 and fills in the blanks here much more reliably.

Except in situations where it's appropriate to use the Jet Hammer and there are no better options. :laugh: They do exist.
All 0 of them. Smash attacks are better for punishing on the ground. His aerials are better for protecting yourself and punishing in the air, and shield pressure is virtually non-existant in this game due to how powerful shields are in this game.

I KO'ed a rushdown lightweight who was at 30% or so with it, recently, after overcharging it (which did me no damage, being at over 100% already at the time). They came charging at me, I let it swing, and WHAM! Home-run! I won the set. :laugh:
While I would imagine that would be awesome, that only happened because your opponent was stupid enough to think running right at a Dedede with rage and a fully charged hammer was a good idea, not because it's a good move.

For curiosity's sake, who was said character?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I know right? Honestly, it's just one of those reasons why :4dedede: and :4duckhunt: currently both serve as my 3rd mains, but I gotta tell you guys, :4dedede: just might be moving up as 2nd main alongside :4kirby:. Ironic, ain't it?:laugh:

OK, that's what I figured you meant. I mean, I'm not trying to sound smug to you or anyone by saying that last thing just now, but I was wondering which Smash game you were talking about. Then again, I do have have to give you some credit, though. Jet Hammer WAS strong in Brawl, but there WAS quite a couple of ways for anybody to punish you while using that move.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A lightweight character ran at you while holding a fully charged Jet Hammer. Wow.
If Jet Hammer were to be replaced with Hammer Spin and Gordo Throw with Waddle Dee Toss, I think Dedede would be a much better character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
@ Furret24 Furret24 - I do know all of that stuff. ;) My point is, the Jet Hammer genuinely isn't useless and can be a good mix-up option if you know how to use it. There are situations where it is a worthwhile option, again, if you know how to use it and when best to apply it (it's true that it isn't something to be commonly used). If you find it useless, though, that's fair enough. :)

I know right? Honestly, it's just one of those reasons why :4dedede: and :4duckhunt: currently both serve as my 3rd mains, but I gotta tell you guys, :4dedede: just might be moving up as 2nd main alongside :4kirby:. Ironic, ain't it?:laugh:
Dedede is my one and only main. :4dedede:

A lightweight character ran at you while holding a fully charged Jet Hammer. Wow.
Fully-charged Spin Dashed, actually. Due to the perception of the Jet Hammer being useless, I assume the notion that it would send them into the stratosphere at the speed of sound didn't occur. :laugh:

If Jet Hammer were to be replaced with Hammer Spin and Gordo Throw with Waddle Dee Toss, I think Dedede would be a much better character.
Waddle Dee Toss was weak, though. Gordo Throw is fantastic and throws up a lot of really good strategic options. :grin: (And I honestly wouldn't trade the Jet Hammer for any other move.)

Besides, there's only one Waddle Dee we need right now, and that's Bandana Waddle Dee, am I right? :laugh: I don't think he wants to get thrown all over the place, somehow...

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't remember Jet Hammer being that powerful in Brawl (I should play that game again some time).

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
While I would imagine that would be awesome, that only happened because your opponent was stupid enough to think running right at a Dedede with rage and a fully charged hammer was a good idea, not because it's a good move.

For curiosity's sake, who was said character?
Sorry, looks like you added this while I was typing my post just now! :) It was Sonic.

The guy was really very good, too. One of the Jet Hammer's current properties is quite outside of its status in the game, though - security through obscurity, because people so often write it off and don't realise what it can do. :laugh:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
@ Furret24 Furret24 - I do know all of that stuff. ;) My point is, the Jet Hammer genuinely isn't useless and can be a good mix-up option if you know how to use it. There are situations where it is a worthwhile option, again, if you know how to use it and when best to apply it (it's true that it isn't something to be commonly used). If you find it useless, though, that's fair enough. :)

Dedede is my one and only main. :4dedede:

Fully-charged Spin Dashed, actually. Due to the perception of the Jet Hammer being useless, I assume the notion that it would send them into the stratosphere at the speed of sound didn't occur. :laugh:

Waddle Dee Toss was weak, though. Gordo Throw is fantastic and throws up a lot of really good strategic options. :grin: (And I honestly wouldn't trade the Jet Hammer for any other move.)

Besides, there's only one Waddle Dee we need right now, and that's Bandana Waddle Dee, am I right? :laugh: I don't think he wants to get thrown all over the place, somehow...
That's right! With Waddle Dee Toss being removed, we now have have a chance to see only ONE Waddle Dee, the one we all want playable, and that's Bandanna Dee!

Last edited:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
I don't really how good bandana dee or any character is, as long as the character is fun to play I will play as it, ( I play mewtwo sometimes, not well, but I still play mewtwo).

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Ironically, Waddle Dee Toss was stronger than Gordo Toss. I've seen a Waddle Dee KO Ike, a heavyweight, at 120%, and I've survived a Gordo to the face at 120%. With Jigglypuff.
Waddle Doos aren't that amazing, but the fact that they're there gives Dedede more stage presence than the Gordos ever did. They do some shield damage on hit, too, if memory serves.
And then, of course, they're the Gordos, which kill earlier than all three combined. I think they did shield damage, as well.
The randomness factor helps as well. "I'm just going to shield next time he throws something since Waddle Dees deal no shield damage. Oh, look, a Waddle Doo broke my shield."

Last edited:

Reila

I really miss Waddle Dee Toss. Dedede just isn't as fun as he was with that move in Brawl >_>

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Who doesn't miss watching this innocent-looking creature who's just minding his own business suddenly headbutt the **** out the unlucky soul in front of him?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Who doesn't miss watching this innocent-looking creature who's just minding his own business suddenly headbutt the **** out the unlucky soul in front of him?
Man, that should be Bandana Waddle Dee's pummel. I mean, headbutting is Dedede's too, and I'm pretty sure that we've already established how cute it would be if some of BWD's animations mimic the great king's. :laugh:

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
He's awfully fabulous for a male...
Oh for the love of Arceus.....
Also, Meta Knight's Japanese voice is amazing.
Am I the ONLY person on the planet who likes ANYTHING 4Kids has done? Seriously, people are freaking ridiculous! I cannot be only person on the planet who prefers Meta Knight's Hispanic accent and theme!
You do know that it's treasonous to be so mean to that poor little penguin, right? ;) You're going to incur Bandana Dee's wrath now that you've admitted to it! :laugh:
Oh great, now Sephiroth is a freaking penguin-thing. Wonderful. (But seriously, no matter how you look at it, Dedede is a greedy, selfish jerk first and foremost)
@ Furret24 Furret24 Dedede is my one and only main.:4dedede:
Right. Which is why you main Diddy in Brawl.
"Rolling around at the speed of NOOOOOOOOOOO!" *ding*

Fav Musics of Kirby:
Revenge of Meta Knight
Fountain of Dreams
Gourmet Race
C-R-O-W-N-E-D
Moonlight Blossom
Rest Area/Save Station (Super Star/Ultra and Melee)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh for the love of Arceus.....

Am I the ONLY person on the planet who likes ANYTHING 4Kids has done? Seriously, people are freaking ridiculous! I cannot be only person on the planet who prefers Meta Knight's Hispanic accent and theme!
Being "fabulous" /= Not male.

So I agree with your response to that.

And besides all the unnecessary and pointless censorship (****ing "jelly donut" when it's a freaking rice ball, geez) Meta's sexy Hispanic accent was great, but much of everything else....neh. Screw Dedede's Foghorn Leghorn voice.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
(But seriously, no matter how you look at it, Dedede is a greedy, selfish jerk first and foremost)
Except, whilst greedy, he's not all that selfish anymore, and, barring the first game, was never really much of a jerk, either. ;)

Right. Which is why you main Diddy in Brawl.
Please make no mistake. I dislike Brawl and I intensely dislike how every character in it handles.

I bought the game used for an extremely low price (about £12, as compared to its retail price of £40), and I was still left enormously disappointed by how non-fun I found it to be. It just does not mesh with me in any way - I don't like its mechanics, pace, handling, balance (or, rather, imbalance), or how it generally plays (it doesn't feel fluid to me). (I also found the stage selection very weak compared to its predecessors, but that's another matter. :laugh:)

Diddy is listed as my "main" for it, because he was the only character I found vaguely tolerable before I put it down never to return to it. Likewise, my other listed "mains" are all characters I never clicked with 100%, but who were the only vaguely suitable options at the time.

It's taken until Dedede's iteration in Smash 3DS/Wii U for me to find a proper main who 100% clicks with my playstyle, and I've been playing Smash since the first game's European release.

"Rolling around at the speed of NOOOOOOOOOOO!" *ding*
Haha, yep, that's about how it went. :laugh:

Screw Dedede's Foghorn Leghorn voice.
Anime-Dedede's not King Dedede, he's Oil Tycoon Dedede!

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You probably are. I like Sonic X, but that's about it. I don't mind Meta Knight Banderas, but Eric Newsome and Atsushi Kasaichi were so much better.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You probably are. I like Sonic X, but that's about it. I don't mind Meta Knight Banderas, but Eric Newsome and Atsushi Kasaichi were so much better.
For some reason, this honestly makes me wonder how Bandana Dee would sound if the quack/squeak noises aren't used. I mean, I know that in such a case he'd have short voice-clips in the vein of everyone else's, but I wonder about tone, pitch, and all that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom