• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I always knew you were jelly of me girl, no need to be so mad. :cool:

You're the best my friend. ;)

Also, that new Pokemon Go game looks pretty cool. :phone: I'm also glad to see them acknowledged Iwata's passing, since this was apparently a project in his vision, you're a caring company, Nintendo. <3

I hope something like Kirby Mobile game get's made someday, maybe Bandana Dee can be playable in it too.

And Adeleine and Ribbon, PLZ.
I thought Nintendo has a strict grudge against mobile games.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's just a game, I dislike when people start with weird excuses to make the games sound more scary or mature or something like that.
Like, OMG! 02 is crying blood! AAAAH!, Kirby eats all the people of the planet to consume and copy their souls! or K.Rool stealed the bananas because he wanted Donkey Kong to starve to death! or Bowser died in lava and now as Dry Bowser he is a corpse who wants revenge! AAAAH!

Everything can happen in a game, I don't know how someone can think that's creepy.
Maybe I'm too old.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That poll Blue posted says Magalor instead of Magolor.
Oh well, at least it doesn't say Galactica Knight instead of Galacta Knight.
xD GALACTICA KNIGHT? o_o Damn, that made me think of a FEMALE Galacta Knight....oh, Hell no.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It's just a game, I dislike when people start with weird excuses to make the games sound more scary or mature or something like that.
Like, OMG! 02 is crying blood! AAAAH!, Kirby eats all the people of the planet to consume and copy their souls! or K.Rool stealed the bananas because he wanted Donkey Kong to starve to death! or Bowser died in lava and now as Dry Bowser he is a corpse who wants revenge! AAAAH!

Everything can happen in a game, I don't know how someone can think that's creepy.
Maybe I'm too old.
It's nothing that you said was because you're "too old" It is just a game, it can't harm you or anything, and people just cause drama for no reason about it.

AndreaAC

You can consider him as a guy, it is your opinion.

But I thought it was a guy, is there any proof otherwise? o_o
Nope. o_o there isn't, unless they want to judge him because of his coloration like Kirby, just because he's Magenta/dark-ish pink.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Nope. o_o there isn't, unless they want to judge him because of his coloration like Kirby, just because he's Magenta/dark-ish pink.
=-= PINK does not make a character a female...it's dumb... Unless the makers states so, he isn't a female as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Marx's story is hmm... "cool", but not creepy.
The only thing I see is an ugly ball who steals a wish, becomes an uglier ball with wings, dies, and then comes to life with the power of magic XD
He appears like 2 minutes in the entire game, his boss fight was like: "remember that thing that appeared for 5 seconds in the intro? He is EVIL"!
But yeah, I like Marx, I just dislike when people think he is like the definition of creepy, evil and the most important and iconic Kirby boss... he wasn't even the first one.

AndreaAC

=-= PINK does not make a character a female...it's dumb... Unless the makers states so, he isn't a female as far as I'm concerned.
xD Funny, Magenta is a male, and Blue is a female (.U. you remember Blue's clues right?), that could be the same case with Galacta Knight. O_O BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN MK IS FEMALE BECAUSE HE'S BLUE, OK? No missunderstandings please!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Marx's story is hmm... "cool", but not creepy.
The only thing I see is an ugly ball who steals a wish, becomes an uglier ball with wings, dies, and then comes to life with the power of magic XD
He appears like 2 minutes in the entire game, his boss fight was like: "remember that thing that appeared for 5 seconds in the intro? He is EVIL"!
But yeah, I like Marx, I just dislike when people think he is like the definition of creepy, evil and the most important and iconic Kirby boss... he wasn't even the first one.
Well, what's a "creepy" boss to you, than?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
EDIT: Excuse the DP...

xD Funny, Magenta is a male, and Blue is a female (.U. you remember Blue's clues right?), that could be the same case with Galacta Knight. O_O BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN MK IS FEMALE BECAUSE HE'S BLUE, OK? No missunderstandings please!
xD See, that's my proof then. Blue was always seen as the color of "Man" and Pink was always seen as the color of "Female". It's like that even on restroom signs, but that's just old logic and not really good ones.

Blue (the Dog) is a girl, which I didn't know about that honestly Andrea xd, but Blue doesn't mean you're a girl NOR doesn't Pink means you're a girl, hence Kirby. It's just a color, nothing determines your gender just because of your skin color. =_=

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Marx is kinda creepy, considering Kirby is a series primarily aimed at young kids.

Anyways, I guess I am warming up to the idea of Bandana Waddle Dee being playable in Smash. He is kinda cute and a spear wielder would be a neat addition to the Smash roster. That being said, I still think Ado/Adeleine would be a better (and more unlikely to happen) addition, as well as Magolor perhaps (we don't have any Kirby villains in Smash and no, Dedede is not a villain, so his inclusion would fill the "lack of villains" criteria).
xD See, that's my proof then. Blue was always seen as the color of "Man" and Pink was always seen as the color of "Female". It's like that even on restroom signs, but that's just old logic and not really good ones.
Actually, in the past, pink was considered a male color (because it is "warm") and blue, a female color (because it is "cold"). Pure rubbish, but so is the idea of pink = female and blue = male. :p

Last edited:

AndreaAC

EDIT: Excuse the DP...

Blue (the Dog) is a girl, which I didn't know about that honestly Andrea xd, but Blue doesn't mean you're a girl NOR doesn't Pink means you're a girl, hence Kirby. It's just a color, nothing determines your gender just because of your skin color. =_=
xD You double posted. and Yeah, it is some kind of bad and old stereotype between males and females. That's why again, Kirby is treated either as a girly boy, or a girl overall, which isn't the case.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Actually, in the past, pink was considered a male color (because it is "warm") and blue, a female color (because it is "cold"). Pure rubbish, but so is the idea of pink = female and blue = male. :p
I never knew. But oh well, you learn something new every day.

xD You double posted. and Yeah, it is some kind of bad and old stereotype between males and females. That's why again, Kirby is treated either as a girly boy, or a girl overall, which isn't the case.
=u= That's why I said "DP".... sorry. xD

Indeed. I wish people would stop thinking that way, but oh well, it is what it is, just let the m think what they think and just think what you think to yourself, what you think is right to you.

At least Waddle Dees doesn't have to worry about this. Bandana Dee do though, because of his Blue bandana. xD But unless HAL or whatever says otherwise, BDee is a male, Kirby's a Male and MK and KING Dedede are guys as well. xD

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
or K.Rool stealed the bananas because he wanted Donkey Kong to starve to death!
But this is actually a canonical fact, straight from the creators. ;)

As far as the general "It's just a game" excuse goes about somewhat serious/scary/etc. elements in games (particularly those bearing certain visual styles), I've got to say that I'm not a fan of it personally, as it's all too frequently used to dismiss cool things and promote a mindset that "Video games are just mindless, soulless, and brainless". I'm just going to multi-quote @BKupa666 on this, as a similar topic on light/dark balance in games came up in the K. Rool thread a few days ago;

With regard to the seriousness of K. Rool, I think you can interpret it different ways, depending on the game. Overall, though, I object to the idea that, just because "it's a game about cartoon monkeys," it must lack any depth. That Rare occasionally had more serious tones in their DKCs (especially 2) made them way more memorable to me than they would have been if their games were just "Wacky Jungle Adventure 496." Honestly, the reason detractors and sites like IGN badmouth DKC is probably partly because they see the series as such a game, rather than digging deeper. In essence, they were cartoony platformers with atmosphere and storyline under the surface if you dig deeper.

K. Rool's leadership and actions fall under that...on the surface, he's a goofy crocodile who steals bananas, but, for starters, did he do it to starve the Kongs? What else was he doing to DK beyond the three seconds of cannonball torture during the rest of DKC2? Why do the Kremlings all have missing limbs and scars in DKC2? It's not some intricate masterpiece, but it's still deeper and more purposeful characterization than it's credited for.
I recognize and love the series' cartoony elements, but at the same time, I don't handwave away legitimately evil things like K. Rool's cannonball torture and Kasplat "demotion," just because the developers didn't really intend for gamers to apply more than a Looney Tunes level of comprehension. The idea that the series is comprised of nothing more than cartoon gags also becomes fodder for fans of "serious business, oh-so-complex" series like the various JRPGs to laugh at DK fans, about "lol how do people care about DK at all, it's just about monkeys." I like that fans like the ones in this thread and on places like DK Vine exist as a counterweight to that.

Anyhow, do we have any Dutch fans in here? A YouTube channel with 100,000+ subscribers just put out a K. Rool video, so here's the link if you're interested. It's good publicity for the character in any case.

http://youtu.be/Dn44gw6FoXI
Also, even the Kirby series' own director has touched on the topic of tonality and story elements a couple of times.

EDIT: Missed a few posts while I was writing all of that up. :laugh:

and no, Dedede is not a villain
Yay, someone else who gets it! :laugh:

I thought it was due to pink being a shade of red, which was considered a manly colour, and blue because of its association with the Virgin Mary? Not that that's any less rubbish than any other reason for gender colour-coding, of course. :laugh:

and KING Dedede are guys as well. xD
And even if Dedede wasn't a king, it's obvious that he's a guy anyway. In blue penguins, the hooked beak denotes a male - this is a trait completely unique to them and no other type of penguin. ;)

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what was your first Virtual Console game if you have one, if not what one do you want the most? My first VC game was Kirby's Dream Land. I still have yet to do Extra Mode as that looks painful.
I'm assuming you just mean VC Kirby games, and if so, mine was also Kirby's Dream Land. I've tried Extra Mode, but I'm not nearly skilled enough.

I think Marx is kinda creepy, considering Kirby is a series primarily aimed at young kids.
What about 0? He shoots blood from his eyeballs!

No, Dedede is not a villain.
He's not a villain in terms of evil, but he does serve the role of primary antagonist in the Kirby games. He is a boss more often than most other characters, including his fights in TD and KFD.

Honestly, I think I'm the only human alive who wants this track as BWD reveal trailer music.

Last edited:

Reila

I thought it was due to pink being a shade of red, which was considered a a colour, and blue because of its association with the Virgin Mary? Not that that's any less rubbish than any other reason for gender colour-coding, of course. :laugh:
I never heard that version before. Interesting.

Also, these are nice quotes from Bkupa you posted. I agree 100% with him.
He's not a villain in terms of evil, but he does serve the role of primary antagonist in the Kirby games. He is a boss more often than most other characters, including his fights in TD and KFD.
Antagonist and villain have very different meanings. A character can be 100% good and still be the antagonist of a game.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You know, one of these days, I'm going to go through all of Dedede's appearances, and sort through which ones are antagonistic, which aren't, which ones aren't his fault at all (for example, the Dark Matter possessions), and which are him merely being competitive... I suspect that the results could be quite interesting. :laugh:

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
You know, one of these days, I'm going to go through all of Dedede's appearances, and sort through which ones are antagonistic, which aren't, which ones aren't his fault at all (for example, the Dark Matter possessions), and which are him merely being competitive... :laugh:
Squeak Squad had him sit there. That's nearly all he did.

Reila

Most of the time he isn't even a jerk, just... kinda selfish and oblivious... In a way he is very similar to Kirby.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yeah, I also dislike when people say Dedede's a villain, he is just a jerk sometimes, but he is not evil.
I think games like the one with the Star Rod at the end shows he was trying to HELP Kirby, but Kirby being stubborn didn't listen to him. xD But I agree, he's just a meanie, but not evil though.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well, we don't really know Galacta Knight's gender :awesome:
He's awfully fabulous for a male...
You know, one of these days, I'm going to go through all of Dedede's appearances, and sort through which ones are antagonistic, which aren't, which ones aren't his fault at all (for example, the Dark Matter possessions), and which are him merely being competitive... I suspect that the results could be quite interesting. :laugh:
I'm pretty sure Revenge of the King and Adventure are his only antagonist.

Also, Meta Knight's Japanese voice is amazing.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I thought Magenta and Blue were both female...?

But anyway, have any of you had an opinion on a Kirby character that changed considerably over time?
For me, I used to really hate King Dedede, but recently, he's really grown on me. Still not my favorite character or anything, but now he's far from my least favorite! :)

Elec

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-5666-2210
That convo might have been dead but I just wanted to say that the only "true" villains in Smash are :4bowser:, :4bowserjr:& :4ganondorf:. Even then, Bowser has had roles of a hero in the Mario RPG games.

These guys have had villainous roles but aren't actually villainous. :4dedede:, :4metaknight:, :4dk:, :4wario2:, :4rob:(SSE) & even :4mario: of all people.

So in conclusion, Dedede's just a jerk.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In Adventure the true Villain was Nightmare, not Dedede.

He was the villain (antagonist) in Dream Land, unless I'm mistaken.
I keep getting those two confused. Kirby is like, one of three series' to start on the Gameboy and not the NES.

Top Bottom