• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
For some reason, this honestly makes me wonder how Bandana Dee would sound if the quack/squeak noises aren't used. I mean, I know that in such a case he'd have short voice-clips in the vein of everyone else's, but I wonder about tone, pitch, and all that.
I bought this up a while back about Kirby having voice acting, and as much as I want it, I just can't imagine a Waddle Dee talking. If he did have a voice, I imagine it'd be high and squeaky.

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
If there's a move that seems terrible, you learn how to use it and you make it work. Simple as that. :grin: For example, there are people who believe that Dedede's Jet Hammer is useless, but once you know how to apply it, it really, really isn't. :smash:
I mean in strength, not in function, even though that is true, especially with Sheik's Chain Whip in Brawl. (and every move)
While we're on the subject of music, what is everybody's favorite Kirby songs?
Techno Factory
Green Greens
Revenge of Meta Knight
Dedede's Theme
Castle Lololo
ALL MUSIC IN SQUEAK SQUAD!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't hate change, I just really dislike voice acting in games. In general. I think the only games I enjoy the VA are the Souls games.

If there's a move that seems terrible, you learn how to use it and you make it work. Simple as that. :grin: For example, there are people who believe that Dedede's Jet Hammer is useless, but once you know how to apply it, it really, really isn't. :smash:
The only reason I use Jet Hammer is because no one expects it. :smash:
Are there any Kirby songs you guys have second-guessed (i.e you heard it, didn't like it, but then you warmed up to it)? I couldn't even list the amount I have, but here are some highlights:

Brawl Marx Battle (I actually triple guessed that one).
Drawcia Sorceress (Most recent, earlier today)
02 Original and Brawl (Original I thought started off too slowly and was boring, Brawl Ver. with the background "Hey"s)
If I talked about every Kirby song I enjoyed, I'll be here all day. So, I'll talk about my number one favorite song...
Midnight Moonlight (Forever- Sleeping Flower) from Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCVFoXX71o&index=60&list=PLz5gUls4mkX-dATpBUDEED0w5ZDGbYMdx
This song doesn't play in the actual game, but instead on the Official Soundtrack CD from Club Nintendo. (R.I.P.)
I forget that people hate change.
I wouldn't mind Kirby having voice acting, but it's kinda unnecessary to be honest.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't hate change, I just really dislike voice acting in games. In general. I think the only games I enjoy the VA are the Souls games.
I don't see why. Some games have really good voice acting that enhances the experience. Sure, there will be the occasional Super Mario Sunshine or Sonic Adventure with...less than good voice acting, but that's no reason to dislike it. Hell, this games voice acting is pretty damn bad, but it doesn't change my view on voice acting.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't mind Kirby having voice acting, but it's kinda unnecessary to be honest.
I don't think it would work. I would venture to say that the Kirby series has managed more character-development and shown more emotion with minimal text and no voice-acting, than any series with excessive voice-acting that I can think of ever has.

I don't think it would work. I would venture to say that the Kirby series has managed more character-development and shown more emotion with minimal text and no voice-acting, than any series with excessive voice-acting that I can think of ever has.
Yeah, Kirby characters really don't talk that much. Besides Kirby: Right Back at Ya!/Kirby of the Stars and Super Smash Bros.
Can you guys imagine :4dedede: with a voice that suits him?

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I don't see why. Some games have really good voice acting that enhances the experience. Sure, there will be the occasional Super Mario Sunshine or Sonic Adventure with...less than good voice acting, but that's no reason to dislike it. Hell, this games voice acting is pretty damn bad, but it doesn't change my view on voice acting.
I'm not opposed to change, it's just, it would seem odd. The only character that speaks (with an audible voice) is Kirby. I much prefer the Super Star Ultra way with Dedede, BDee and MK. If a game has iffy voice acting it can ruin the immersion, whereas if it it purely text-based or not there, there is no risk of bad voice acting.

Oh, also, what would you guys think of an costume for BDee that was based off his Ninja Dojo appearance?
Like this:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A narrator voiced some characters in Epic Yarn.
That narrator was amazing. He was the like Nintendo's answer to Morgan Freeman.
I'm not opposed to change, it's just, it would seem odd. The only character that speaks (with an audible voice) is Kirby. I much prefer the Super Star Ultra way with Dedede, BDee and MK. If a game has iffy voice acting it can ruin the immersion, whereas if it it purely text-based or not there, there is no risk of bad voice acting.

Oh, also, what would you guys think of an costume for BDee that was based off his Ninja Dojo appearance?
Like this:
Nintendo's not opposed to taking risks. They've proven they can do it well with Star Fox. If they were to try, I'm sure it would turn out amazing. Provided Ted Lewis stays far away from it, of course.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo's not opposed to taking risks. They've proven they can do it well with Star Fox.
Rebooting Star Fox into a cringeworthily-voice-acted mess, which was also a far less-solid and infinitely less-challenging game, was one of the worst decisions they ever made, in my opinion. The sharp sales drop-offs from the reboot onwards reflect that the changes made have done nothing to retain customers...

Provided Ted Lewis stays far away from it, of course.
In fairness, he's very good at what he does! I doubt he decided on the direction for that particular role, but he definitely made the best of it. :laugh:

Speaking of voice actors, I've always though that Ken Page's (voice of Oogie Boogie in Nightmare Before Christmas) voice would be fitting to Dedede. I don't really know why, I just think it would fit for him.

(Unless that's because of Oogie Boogie's "I'll squash you flat!" line in KH2, which would also fit to Dedede)

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
That narrator was amazing. He was the like Nintendo's answer to Morgan Freeman.

Nintendo's not opposed to taking risks. They've proven they can do it well with Star Fox. If they were to try, I'm sure it would turn out amazing. Provided Ted Lewis stays far away from it, of course.
The narrator was amazing. For voice acting in Kirby, I really just want the narrator to come back in games with more different gameplay mechanics than the traditional Kirby.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Rebooting Star Fox into a cringeworthily-voice-acted mess, which was also a far less-solid and infinitely less-challenging game, was one of the worst decisions they ever made, in my opinion. The sharp sales drop-offs from the reboot onwards reflect that the changes made have done nothing to retain customers...

In fairness, he's very good at what he does! I doubt he decided on the direction for that particular role, but he definitely made the best of it. :laugh:
What do mean by reboot, 64, adventures ?

I like voice acting, I don't really want it in Kirby but it would be interesting.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I can't even describe how I imagine any voices to be - try as I might, I can never think of a similar-sounding voice actor to reflect what I imagine. I had the same problem earlier, with trying to describe how I'd imagine a voice for Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash, and I just had to give up in the end. :c (Perhaps there are simply no voice actors who match what I imagine?)

What do mean by reboot, 64, adventures ?
Star Fox 64 rebooted that series into what it is now.

Last edited:
Speaking of voice actors, I've always though that Ken Page's (voice of Oogie Boogie in Nightmare Before Christmas) voice would be fitting to Dedede. I don't really know why, I just think it would fit for him.

(Unless that's because of Oogie Boogie's "I'll squash you flat!" line in KH2, which would also fit to Dedede)
The reason Dedede doesn't have a voice actor is because he's perfect.

Source: http://stopmymadness.tumblr.com/post/126451908025/30-day-smash-bros-challenge-day-4-favorite-kirby

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Wait, which Star Fox are you talking about? Cause I was talking about Assault. If you mean Command, we don't talk about that game. Zero's voice acting sounds pretty good, too, from what I've heard.
He passed the acting part with flying colors, it was the voice that did him in. Texas Car Spokesman King Dedede was a mixed bag.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Wait, which Star Fox are you talking about?
Star Fox 64. The one that rebooted it away from the original SNES continuity. :p

Cause I was talking about Assault.
Star Fox Assault is the only truly great game in the rebooted series. :) I do agree, it has good acting, due in no small part to the fact that they replaced all of the actors (only to sadly never use them again). :laugh:

If you mean Command, we don't talk about that game.
Command is criminally underrated. If you can ignore the absolutely terrible story elements (one of the biggest problems I have with the entirety of the rebooted series), it's actually a very solid game.

Zero's voice acting sounds pretty good, too, from what I've heard.
Star Fox Zero's voice acting is in line with that of Star Fox 64 3D. This means it has most of Star Fox 64's original cast, who now have voice-acting ability that I felt they lacked in the original version of Star Fox 64, plus some newer actors.

He passed the acting part with flying colors, it was the voice that did him in. Texas Car Spokesman King Dedede was a mixed bag.
Texas Car Spokesman?! :laugh: Now I'm wondering how many other comedic names people have for anime-Dedede.

I think we should be thankful that Bandana Waddle Dee wasn't in the anime. I can't even imagine what sort of horrors we could be discussing now if he had appeared. :laugh:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Star Fox 64. The one that rebooted it away from the original SNES continuity. :p
Oh, yeah, that voice acting was atrocious. But it was their first try, so it can be forgiven. Almost.
Star Fox Assault is the only truly great game in the rebooted series. :) I do agree, it has good acting, due in no small part to the fact that they replaced all of the actors (only to sadly never use them again). :laugh:
Agreed. It was the best game in the series and had all the right voice actors, although I like Brooklyn Falco more.
Command is criminally underrated. If you can ignore the absolutely terrible story elements (one of the biggest problems I have with the entirety of the rebooted series), it's actually a very solid game.
It's not as bad as it could be, but it's still not very good. So, you like Command and hate Brawl? That's actually funny.
Star Fox Zero's voice acting is in line with that of Star Fox 64 3D. This means it has most of Star Fox 64's original cast, who now have voice-acting ability that I felt they lacked in the original version of Star Fox 64, plus some newer actors.
West's Fox has definitely improved from "FIYUURR!" and "LAYNDMASDURRR!" Mark Lund's Falco has gotten better, although no one can replace Brooklyn Falco. Everybody else is hit or miss.
Texas Car Spokesman?! :laugh: Now I'm wondering how many other comedic names people have for anime-Dedede.
Used Car Commercial Salesman Dedede is a personal favorite of mine.

I think we should be thankful that Bandana Waddle Dee wasn't in the anime. I can't even imagine what sort of horrors we could be discussing now if he had appeared. :laugh:
Funnily enough, the Waddle Dees were probably the least of the horrors the anime had to offer. Them and Escargoon.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I wish played more Star Fox games besides Star Fox 64 3D, so I could join the conversation...
We should drop that anyway, really. The only vaguely relevant thing is that the original SNES game established that the Lylat System is at the other end of the Milky Way from here, which is also where the galaxy where Popstar is located is, if memory serves. :p

Anyway,Dedede's Japan name is Great King Dedede.
Yep, デデデ大王 ("Dedede Daiou"). I really appreciate how they made reference to this in the English translation of Kirby Super Star Ultra, in how Bandana Dee addresses him.

Oh, yeah, that voice acting was atrocious. But it was their first try, so it can be forgiven. Almost.
Not when most of the promotion was about the voice acting and how they managed to fit so much of it onto a cartridge. :laugh:

So, you like Command and hate Brawl? That's actually funny.
I gave Command a chance on the basis of it being made by part of the team responsible for the SNES title, whilst ignoring the dreadful story bits dumped on it by (as far as I know) Miyamoto. It's good for what it is, though certainly not the best game out there by any means (flawed but enjoyable, I guess?). :p Brawl just doesn't click with me in any way.

although no one can replace Brooklyn Falco.
Of all of the depictions of Falco in the rebooted series, I agree that this one is by far the best. It just suits him so well.

Used Car Commercial Salesman Dedede is a personal favorite of mine.
I'm now picturing anime-Dedede fronting a used car commercial, thus making this the funniest thing I've read all day.:laugh:

Funnily enough, the Waddle Dees were probably the least of the horrors the anime had to offer. Them and Escargoon.
Yeah, except for that bizarre cookie/senbei scene...

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
We should drop that anyway, really. The only vaguely relevant thing is that the original SNES game established that the Lylat System is at the other end of the Milky Way from here, which is also where the galaxy where Popstar is located is, if memory serves. :p

Yep, デデデ大王 ("Dedede Daiou"). I really appreciate how they made reference to this in the English translation of Kirby Super Star Ultra, in how Bandana Dee addresses him.

Not when most of the promotion was about the voice acting and how they managed to fit so much of it onto a cartridge. :laugh:

I gave Command a chance on the basis of it being made by part of the team responsible for the SNES title, whilst ignoring the dreadful story bits dumped on it by (as far as I know) Miyamoto. It's good for what it is, though certainly not the best game out there by any means (flawed but enjoyable, I guess?). :p Brawl just doesn't click with me in any way.

Of all of the depictions of Falco in the rebooted series, I agree that this one is by far the best. It just suits him so well.

I'm now picturing anime-Dedede fronting a used car commercial, thus making this the funniest thing I've read all day.:laugh:

That scene makes my tongue itchy for some reason.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You can't lie, that was impressive.

It fit Falco down to a tee. And he was so hilariously disrespectful, too.
Fun fact: Did you know that Southern Car Dealership Dedede was actually supposed to make fun of some political figure? It might've been John F. Kennedy or somebody, I can't remember.
I liked that scene. It gave us some anatomical information of Waddle Dees, of which we had none before.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You can't lie, that was impressive.
Yeah, it was, but as Satoru Iwata said, content is king - technology alone won't sell (which he said because he learned it the hard way). :laugh:

Fun fact: Did you know that Southern Car Dealership Dedede was actually supposed to make fun of some political figure? It might've been John F. Kennedy or somebody, I can't remember.
I did indeed know that! I assume that it's a product of the dub, though, rather than something present in the original language.

I liked that scene. It gave us some anatomical information of Waddle Dees, of which we had none before.
It contradicts what's shown in the actual games, though. :laugh: I always took it as a matter of the mouth being unseen for the sake of cute-factor, especially after Kirby 64's Waddle Dee and his localisation-resistant onigiri.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yeah, it was, but as Satoru Iwata said, content is king - technology alone won't sell (which he said because he learned it the hard way). :laugh:
Someone should relay that message to Sony and Microsoft.
I did indeed know that! I assume that it's a product of the dub, though, rather than something present in the original language.
I would assume so. Unless Japan has a larger sense of humor then we thought.
It contradicts what's shown in the actual games, though. :laugh: I always took it as a matter of the mouth being unseen for the sake of cute-factor, especially after Kirby 64's Waddle Dee and his localisation-resistant onigiri.
Well, that's kind of a cop-out reason, really. It makes sense, but I think having them eat through osmosis is an interesting, if ridiculous, explanation.

I don't know what the actual hell this is, but I found it funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
To me, I think it's more along the lines of unnecessary and can potentially destroy a character's image. If the voice acting is passable, great. However, if it isn't, it's a huge unforgettable ****-stain. It's one of the reasons I'm shaking in my boots with the remake of FF7 coming.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
To me, I think it's more along the lines of unnecessary and can potentially destroy a character's image. If the voice acting is passable, great. However, if it isn't, it's a huge unforgettable ****-stain. It's one of the reasons I'm shaking in my boots with the remake of FF7 coming.
*coughOtherMcough*

Top Bottom