• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee still has a chance, guys. I'm never giving up hope, not until I see the full roster.

...I dare say Bandana Dee has a better chance than Ridley at this point.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
That doesn't make any sense to me. You can't argue that they took away from his character to make him stronger...
They took away the randomness and left the stronger effect, or using less pikmins is worst for olimar in your opinion?
Sometimes less is more.

...I dare say Bandana Dee has a better chance than Ridley at this point.
Even toad has a better chance than ridley at this point xD

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Seriously? People are seeing this as a negative?

We just showed that he is not the generic Waddle Dee and that he actually beats up generic Waddle Dees in his game.

This literally does not affect his chances at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, whatever went down in this thread was hilarious. :p

Of course, his chances are unaffected. Charizard may be unable to eat them, but I sure hope Kirby and Dedede can.

D

Deleted member

Well, whatever went down in this thread was hilarious. :p

Of course, his chances are unaffected. Charizard may be unable to eat them, but I sure hope Kirby and Dedede can.
The only characters that I can see eat enemies are Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario.
However, since they are enemies, I doubt that they will be eaten as items (the Waddle Dees in Brawl counted as items and thus Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario could eat them). In the Subspace Emissary, if you used Inhale or Chomp, you would do damage to the enemies rather than eat them. I expect that the same case scenario will happen here in Smash Run (and we will see oddities like Pit's Guardian Orbiters and Yoshi's Egg Lay do damage).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The only characters that I can see eat enemies are Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario.
However, since they are enemies, I doubt that they will be eaten as items (the Waddle Dees in Brawl counted as items and thus Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario could eat them). In the Subspace Emissary, if you used Inhale or Chomp, you would do damage to the enemies rather than eat them. I expect that the same case scenario will happen here in Smash Run (and we will see oddities like Pit's Guardian Orbiters and Yoshi's Egg Lay do damage).
(Yoshi should be able to as well.)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I want to throw my two cents in this discussion.

What's unique about Bandana Dee is that its really difficult to deconfirm him or for Sakurai to purposely tease/foreshadow him. He's not exactly stage hazard material (like Ridley) or Final Smash potential (like Brawl Palutena), but he's unique enough to separate himself from generic enemies/races in other character attacks (Peach's Toad, Zelda's Phantom, Brawl Dedede's Waddle Dee Toss)

The only thing that can really outright deconfirm him is showing him off as a trophy, Assist Trophy or waiting until launch. However, awesome as Bandana is, I feel that his chance of him even getting his own trophy is only slightly more likely than Blue and Yellow Toad's chances.

By the way, I love me some Bandana Dee, I want more polearm wielders, I just feel that being from a race of mooks hurts his chances.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
ahhhhh delusion

you do realize the difference between someone as iconic as r.o.b. and WADDLE DEE WEARING A BANDANA, right?
If you're not going to bother to read even the first post, why do you bother to post in this thread at all?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
ahhhhh delusion

you do realize the difference between someone as iconic as r.o.b. and WADDLE DEE WEARING A BANDANA, right?
If you actually bothered to read the thread title, you'd see that he's just been given an official name and identity beyond that of "Waddle Dee". He is now officially recognized "Bandana Waddle Dee" (or, more simply "Bandana Dee", as it calls him in his description.)

This is because he is a completely unique individual who just happens to be from a species of otherwise generic enemies.

He and other Waddle Dees not only can coexist, but HAVE coexisted in the past.

He is seen leading and fighting other members of his own species many times in the past.

He is essentially the General of the Waddle Dee army, only under King Dedede himself (and arguably Meta Knight) in rank. This makes him the single most important character after King Dedede and Meta Knight in the Kirby series.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
They took away the randomness and left the stronger effect, or using less pikmins is worst for olimar in your opinion?
Sometimes less is more.
Yeah it might make the move better, but that isn't the point. The point is that he is the king of the Dees. Sakurai removed that part of him in game (as far as we know), therefore he must have had a better reason to do so than Waddle Dees in smash run.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If you actually bothered to read the thread title, you'd see that he's just been given an official name and identity beyond that of "Waddle Dee". He is now officially recognized "Bandana Waddle Dee" (or, more simply "Bandana Dee", as it calls him in his description.)

This is because he is a completely unique individual who just happens to be from a species of otherwise generic enemies.

He and other Waddle Dees not only can coexist, but HAVE coexisted in the past.

He is seen leading and fighting other members of his own species many times in the past.

He is essentially the General of the Waddle Dee army, only under King Dedede himself (and arguably Meta Knight) in rank. This makes him the single most important character after King Dedede and Meta Knight in the Kirby series.
Much like a goomba with wings is called a paragoomba. Having a different name means nothing.

My biggest issue with smash speculation in 2014 is all you kids nowadays are so used to getting your way so you refuse to ever rule out any characters

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Much like a goomba with wings is called a paragoomba. Having a different name means nothing.

My biggest issue with smash speculation in 2014 is all you kids nowadays are so used to getting your way so you refuse to ever rule out any characters
That is a horrid argument. He is not the same as a paragoomba. Their is one Bandana Dee. Hundreds of paragoombas.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

There are multiple paragoombas. There is only one Bandana Dee.

My biggest issue with smash speculation in 2014 is that there are people like you who fail to recognize the absolutely obvious.

"A human is an enemy in smash run. I guess that means no human characters can make it into SSB4. Good run, guys."

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
okay then, goombario confirmed.

goomba with a hat and hes the only one
If Goombario was unanimously agreed to be the single most important Mario character not in Smash Bros. then this would be a good analogy. Goombario and generic Goombas coexist just fine, and so do Bandana Dee and Waddle Dees.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
well this thread turn down in a negative air, can't believe a single waddle/parasol dee made such a big fuss
and imagine it was just two days ago we had a waddle dee rave party

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Guys, let's make a collective post explaining the difference between Bandana Waddle Dee and generic Waddle Dees in the most simplistic way possible. That way, even the most dense detractors should be able to get it through their heads that they are two separate things.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
What a compelling argument; I never thought of it that way.
I don't need a compelling 6 paragraph argument as to why bandana dee won't be in smash bros. I'll just come back when the game is out to remind you guys what you've supported for several months.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I was not aware that military rank dictated a character's importance in the series

Bring on Adam Malkovich, he's a higher rank than Samus
Mushroom King confirmed because he's a higher rank than Peach
General Pepper is making the cut because he outranks Fox and friends

the list goes on

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
I don't need a compelling 6 paragraph argument as to why bandana dee won't be in smash bros. I'll just come back when the game is out to remind you guys what you've supported for several months.
I don't even fully support the guy, I'm just always happy to challenge stupid arguments.
I was not aware that military rank dictated a character's importance in the series

the list goes on
Did you even read the entire post?

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
The point is that he is the king of the Dees. Sakurai removed that part of him in game (as far as we know), therefore he must have had a better reason to do so than Waddle Dees in smash run.
uh not really, gordos are also part of the enemies in smash run.

As everyone is stating here, bandana can coexist with other dees without having any troubles, neither dee toss or smash run means anything at all, which is the point you are missing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If you had valid arguments, I'd listen to you. You don't.

the list goes on
Then should I point out instead that he is go-to fourth playable character, after Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight instead? Or maybe that he's the fourth most recurring Kirby character after, again, Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight? Or perhaps that he's the first original Kirby character in years to make multiple appearances?

Maybe you're right. His military rank is irrelevant when compared to his other positives.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't even fully support the guy, I'm just always happy to challenge stupid arguments.

Did you even read the entire post?
I sure did

he said because of his military rank that makes him the 4th most important character in the series. I stopped playing kirby games when Sakurai left HAL and in my many years of playing Kirby games I only ever saw him as a Waddle Dee you can fight against in Super Star. Apparently he's been playable in the last two Kirby Games which makes him most important overall.

I don't follow that train of logic. Kirby has had countless stupid playable characters. In two player Super Star the 2nd player could be literally any basic enemy in the entire game. In Dream Land 2 and 3 you had a hamster, a cat, a fish, a bird, a black blob, a pink blob, somebody actually named "blob", and Chef Kawasaki. I'd argue that the 4th most important character in the series is Adeleine.

Meta Knight has consistently been an anti-hero throughout the entire series. Dedede has always been the boss throughout the entire series (yes I know sometimes he didn't actually mean to cause harm okay I don't care), Kirby has always been the hero. The series is represented perfectly fine with the three main characters. Basic as the games are they at least attempt to throw in some personalities for the characters. They're extremely light but they're there. Waddles Dees walk back and forth on the level. They attempt to walk into Kirby to damage him. You kill hundreds of them throughout the course of the games. The Paper Mario characters are generic enemies that switch allegiances too but no one is going to entertain the idea the Kooper or Goombario have more than a snowball's chance in hell of being playable. Baby Metroid isn't about to be confirmed.

Kirby isn't important enough to warrant 4 playable characters when there are a dozen unrepresented series and Bandana Waddle Dee isn't important enough to the series to be the rep.

If you had valid arguments, I'd listen to you. You don't.
Then should I point out instead that he is go-to fourth playable character, after Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight instead? Or maybe that he's the fourth most recurring Kirby character after, again, Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight? Or perhaps that he's the first original Kirby character in years to make multiple appearances?
Rick was in Triple Deluxe

Last edited by a moderator:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I came to this thread to see what everyone would say about the Waddle Dee pic of the day and i'm not disappointed. The R.O.B situation Chandelure points out is actually something I didn't consider, that being said while no one can deconfirm Bandanna Dee as a playable character yet I still doubt he's likely.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I sure did

he said because of his military rank that makes him the 4th most important character in the series. I stopped playing kirby games when Sakurai left HAL and in my many years of playing Kirby games I only ever saw him as a Waddle Dee you can fight against in Super Star. Apparently he's been playable in the last two Kirby Games which makes him most important overall.

I don't follow that train of logic. Kirby has had countless stupid playable characters. In two player Super Star the 2nd player could be literally any basic enemy in the entire game. In Dream Land 2 and 3 you had a hamster, a cat, a fish, a bird, a black blob, a pink blob, somebody actually named "blob", and Chef Kawasaki. I'd argue that the 4th most important character in the series is Adeleine.

Meta Knight has consistently been an anti-hero throughout the entire series. Dedede has always been the boss throughout the entire series (yes I know sometimes he didn't actually mean to cause harm okay I don't care), Kirby has always been the hero. The series is represented perfectly fine with the three main characters. Basic as the games are they at least attempt to throw in some personalities for the characters. They're extremely light but they're there. Waddles Dees walk back and forth on the level. They attempt to walk into Kirby to damage him. You kill hundreds of them throughout the course of the games. The Paper Mario characters are generic enemies that switch allegiances too but no one is going to entertain the idea the Kooper or Goombario have more than a snowball's chance in hell of being playable. Baby Metroid isn't about to be confirmed.

Kirby isn't important enough to warrant 4 playable characters when there are a dozen unrepresented series and Bandana Waddle Dee isn't important enough to the series to be the rep.
You seem to have forgotten one thing that the Kirby series lack: continuity. It wasn't until recent games like Mass Attack that HAL decided to reference previous games in the series. As in, characters who were playable in one game disappear never to be seen again. Bandana Dee showing up in more than one game shows his importance to the series. (You realize this when you bring up the importance of Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede by their continued appearances in the series.)
It doesn't make sense that you think that Adeleine is more important than Bandana Dee considering that she only appeared in one game in a non-playable role and hasn't been spoken of since.
If you played (which you admit you haven't) Superstar Ultra and RtDL you will see Bandana Dee's personality. (Granted the majority of Kirby characters lack a detailed personality since that is the nature of the game.)

I disagree on your statement about Kirby not being important enough for 4 reps but that's my opinion.
Rick and Coo appear as cameos in the Kirby Fighters sub-game. To be more specific, a non-canon mini game compared to Bandana Dee (in the same role as Adeleine in her one appearance lol) who appeared in the main story.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I sure did

Bandana Dee is more important than any of them, having had many more appearances already. Adeleine, as much as I love her, is a one-off character that has not appeared in who knows how long. (Ironically, Bandana Dee takes on an Adeleine-like role in Triple Deluxe.)

Meta Knight has consistently been an anti-hero throughout the entire series. Dedede has always been the boss throughout the entire series (yes I know sometimes he didn't actually mean to cause harm okay I don't care), Kirby has always been the hero. The series is represented perfectly fine with the three main characters. Basic as the games are they at least attempt to throw in some personalities for the characters. They're extremely light but they're there. Waddles Dees walk back and forth on the level. They attempt to walk into Kirby to damage him. You kill hundreds of them throughout the course of the games. The Paper Mario characters are generic enemies that switch allegiances too but no one is going to entertain the fact the Kooper or Goombario have a snowball's chance in hell of being playable. Baby Metroid isn't about to be confirmed.
Waddle Dees # Bandana Dee

Bandana Dee is the highest ranking Waddle Dee under King Dedede's service and is basically his right-hand man. When King Dedede is off fighting or helping kirby, Bandana Dee is right there by his side, ready to help.

Kooper and Goombario were one-off characters in the highly saturated Mario series. the Baby Metroid not only had no distinguishing characteristics from regular metroids, but also has absolutely no moveset potential to pull from. They aren't seen as unlikely because their appearances were based off of generic enemies and modified.

Mario: 463.87 million
Pokemon: 245 million
Wii: 192.76 million
The Legend of Zelda: 68.13 million
Donkey Kong: 53.994 million
Kirby: 33 million
Super Smash Bros.: 22.78 million
Nintendogs: 21.67 million
Brain Age: 20 million
Metroid: 17 million
Star Fox: 11.5 million
Animal Crossing: 7 million

There's Nintendo's best selling franchises (with at least 5 million sold). If the Star Fox series is big enough to warrant 3 playable characters, then the Kirby series is easily big enough to warrant 4.

Please note that no currently unrepresented series has more than 5 million sales aside from Nintendogs and Brain Age (which are typically considered unlikely to get characters).

As a main character in the story? If not, then it's a cameo appearance that's not comparable to Bandana Dee's roles (imo).

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
So uh, Waddle Dees and such. My ambivalence towards this character drives my nuts. I want to hate him, I really do, but there's just not enough there for me to hate. Do I think he should be in Smash? Not particularly, but there are far worse choices *cough*pacmantoadmii*cough*. So I would like to be added to the list of people that don't really give a damn either way.

Last edited:

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
Can we not support a character without being berated? Bandana Dee is clearly his own character, and is hardly comparable to a paragoomba (seriously?), or even Toad. Now, whether or not he is the 4th most important character in the Kirby series, or if said series even deserves 4 reps is entirely subjective; however, the fact is that he is one of, if not the most popular and requested Kirby newcomer.

Look, I don't think Bandana Dee will make it into this installment either, but I still support the character because I like him and think he has interesting move potential. If someone wants to call me childish names because of my opinion, or argue for the character's exclusion, then go right ahead. All I ask is for those people to at least educate themselves on the subject, because otherwise, I will ignore their remarks and they can kindly **** off.

^That goes for just about any character, actually.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I'm just gonna throw my two cents in.

Bandana Dee is basically this guy in the games. He's just not a snail.

Maikou

Smash Ace
@KCCHIEFS27, xpnc, and everyone else who is against Bandana Dee:Allow me to point out ALL the differences between a Paragoomba, Waddle Dees, and Bandana Waddle Dee:
Paragoombas: Common enemy, turn into Goombas from one stomp, and then die in one hit from anything, with no importance to plot or anything.
Waddle Dees: Simple Common Enemies that just passively walk around, and occasionally wield Parasols (Paragoombas anyone?) and Spears (Which they aren't very good at wielding), and are never ever important to plot.
Bandana Waddle Dee: Has Greater endurance than others of his kind, is THE ONLY WADDLE DEE WITH A BANDANA, wields a spear far better than most of his kind, invented the Spear-Copter technique, Is King Dedede's Right-Hand man, has had importance in plot THRICE so far (Counting TD since it's already out in Japan and close to release over here in the US), has assisted Kirby, is able to speak (see: Kirby Super Star Ultra: Revenge of the King), has lived through a fight with Kirby (Show me another person who managed THAT hm? besides Dedede and Meta Knight), And most of all, can survive being inhaled by Kirby.

GEE, I WONDER IF YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A POINT NOW. Oh wait, you DON'T, because I just disproved it.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@KCCHIEFS27, xpnc, and everyone else who is against Bandana Dee:Allow me to point out ALL the differences between a Paragoomba, Waddle Dees, and Bandana Waddle Dee:
Paragoombas: Common enemy, turn into Goombas from one stomp, and then die in one hit from anything, with no importance to plot or anything.
Waddle Dees: Simple Common Enemies that just passively walk around, and occasionally wield Parasols (Paragoombas anyone?) and Spears (Which they aren't very good at wielding), and are never ever important to plot.
Bandana Waddle Dee: Has Greater endurance than others of his kind, is THE ONLY WADDLE DEE WITH A BANDANA, wields a spear far better than most of his kind, invented the Spear-Copter technique, Is King Dedede's Right-Hand man, has had importance in plot THRICE so far (Counting TD since it's already out in Japan and close to release over here in the US), has assisted Kirby, is able to speak (see: Kirby Super Star Ultra: Revenge of the King), has lived through a fight with Kirby (Show me another person who managed THAT hm? besides Dedede and Meta Knight), And most of all, can survive being inhaled by Kirby.

GEE, I WONDER IF YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A POINT NOW. Oh wait, you DON'T, because I just disproved it.
Part of me wonders if you can even buy Bandana's in Dream Land. For that matter I wonder if the Waddle Dee's can use other hats

Sombrero Dee anyone?

Top Bottom