• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Bandana Dee's day in rate their chances is today folks, I advise you all to pop up, so we assuredly get an accurate want score. http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...loon-fighter-and-bandanna-dee.398604/page-228
Ah, this is why you posted here.

Though I have to be honest with you guys, Since I want Wolf more than anything, even when BDee is the only Newcomer I want, I kinda rated him low. Sorry if that made the want score less as accurate as you wanted

Edit: Oh by the way we have another deetractor in the RTC (Nat Perry). Apparently commenting everyone else who rated him well.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Ah, this is why you posted here.

Though I have to be honest with you guys, Since I want Wolf more than anything, even when BDee is the only Newcomer I want, I kinda rated him low. Sorry if that made the want score less as accurate as you wanted

Edit: Oh by the way we have another deetractor in the RTC (Nat Perry). Apparently commenting everyone else who rated him well.
Yeah, he doesn't really have good arguments and for some reason he wrote in my profile page, he said that he loves my avatar XD
Maybe he is just messing with us, ignore him.

And about the want score and Wolf, don't worry.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah, he doesn't really have good arguments and for some reason he wrote in my profile page, he said that he loves my avatar XD
Maybe he is just messing with us, ignore him.

And about the want score and Wolf, don't worry.

Honestly I like your avatar but I don't think Bandana Dee's very likely. I won't deny he'll have a good moveset and stuff. He's only recently gotten larger roles in the Kirby games but there are more characters with potential uniqueness in moves than him. Such as K. Rool (heavyweight/weapons), Paper Mario (partners, stickers, badges), Krystal (staff/weapons), etc. etc. A floaty spear-user is something we've never seen before, but a similar body type to Kirby plus a spear is a less unique thing than what a bunch of other characters could bring. That's my reasoning (based on how Sakurai chose lots of newcomers in SSB4 due to their "uniqueness").

I apologize, @ Chandeelure Chandeelure . Sorry for the mixed messages. I think that I'm grumpy because it's late at night.​

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Honestly I like your avatar but I don't think Bandana Dee's very likely. I won't deny he'll have a good moveset and stuff. He's only recently gotten larger roles in the Kirby games but there are more characters with potential uniqueness in moves than him. Such as K. Rool (heavyweight/weapons), Paper Mario (partners, stickers, badges), Krystal (staff/weapons), etc. etc. A floaty spear-user is something we've never seen before, but a similar body type to Kirby plus a spear is a less unique thing than what a bunch of other characters could bring. That's my reasoning (based on how Sakurai chose lots of newcomers in SSB4 due to their "uniqueness").

I apologize, @ Chandeelure Chandeelure . Sorry for the mixed messages. I think that I'm grumpy because it's late at night.​
I recommend getting a good sleep, especially as the RTC threads are usually 24 hours, so it would be wise to post there again once 'sobering up'
Also, about your Krystal argument...Palutena has a staff too, just saying

Logo12

Smash Lord

A heavyweight isn't exactly what we haven't seen before either. More than one characters already use a variety of moves, Palutena and Dark Pit used Staff as mentioned above. Similar body type... Well K Rool body-type wise is similar to Bowser, Paper Mario to Mr Game and Watch, Krystal to of course, All the Star Fox team. There's not really much when it comes to body type tbh.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I recommend getting a good sleep, especially as the RTC threads are usually 24 hours, so it would be wise to post there again once 'sobering up'
Also, about your Krystal argument...Palutena has a staff too, just saying
Krystal's staff does special things Palutena's doesn't. Like blasting fire and ice. Force fields. Rocket jumps (Palutena, lol). Ground quakes. Super Ground Quakes. Stuff like that.

Similiar weapon, different effects. Like Roy's blade has fire. Robin has the electric Levin sword.

As for K. Rool, we have heavyweights, but no heavyweights with a myriad of potential weapons to use like K. Rool does.

Paper Mario comparison to Game & Watch is only valid in terms of them being 2-D, lol.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Krystal's staff does special things Palutena's doesn't. Like blasting fire and ice. Force fields. Rocket jumps (Palutena, lol). Ground quakes. Super Ground Quakes. Stuff like that.

Similiar weapon, different effects. Like Roy's blade has fire. Robin has the electric Levin sword.

As for K. Rool, we have heavyweights, but no heavyweights with a myriad of potential weapons to use like K. Rool does.

Paper Mario comparison to Game & Watch is only valid in terms of them being 2-D, lol.
I told you I compared about body type tho lol. If you're comparing BDee to Kirby, this is the only response I will give you.

They may have their own special aspects, but so does BDee. They also at the same time have their own problems. K Rool with the relevancy(?) and Mii costume(?), Paper Mario being criticized being another "Mario" (infinite potential, whateverthing, he still IS a mario.), Krystal also with relevancy and how people almost only vote her for the staff. Stuff like these. It's fully opinion-based if you think BDee is unlikely this way.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Wasn't BDee already on the top 10 chance and want?
Yes, he is.

Oh, don't worry XD
Is just that I don't think Bandana Dee lacks uniqueness, the spear (pokes, slashes, pole vault, twirls, spearcopter, spear throw, etc.), Megaton Punch and the possible inclusion of the other Waddle Dees's abilities/weapons would be pretty interesting, at least for me.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I told you I compared about body type tho lol. If you're comparing BDee to Kirby, this is the only response I will give you.

They may have their own special aspects, but so does BDee. They also at the same time have their own problems. K Rool with the relevancy(?) and Mii costume(?), Paper Mario being criticized being another "Mario" (infinite potential, whateverthing, he still IS a mario.), Krystal also with relevancy and how people almost only vote her for the staff. Stuff like these. It's fully opinion-based if you think BDee is unlikely this way.
If you say I am, then you're opinion-based as well.

You are (kinda) right about "relevancy" in regards to Krystal and K. Rool but "criticism" for another Mario is pretty illegitimate.

Really, it's all opinion-based now. Because even though we have an idea of popularity, we don't know jack about any future DLC. So we can provide reasons and logic all we want but what happens happens, I guess. It's just that we can take what Sakurai's said and done and provide that as a basis of prediction, but not for solid conclusions. From that, some characters may seem more likely or less likely than others, but nobody knows for sure.

Yes, he is.

Oh, don't worry XD
Is just that I don't think Bandana Dee lacks uniqueness, the spear (pokes, slashes, pole vault, twirls, spearcopter, spear throw, etc.), Megaton Punch and the possible inclusion of the other Waddle Dees's abilities/weapons would be pretty interesting, at least for me.
Opinion respected. A spearcopter would be cool. Now, does Bandana Dee have a multi-spear throwing attack or just one?

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
If you say I am, then you're opinion-based as well.

You are (kinda) right about "relevancy" in regards to Krystal and K. Rool but "criticism" for another Mario is pretty illegitimate.

Really, it's all opinion-based now. Because even though we have an idea of popularity, we don't know jack about any future DLC. So we can provide reasons and logic all we want but what happens happens, I guess. It's just that we can take what Sakurai's said and done and provide that as a basis of prediction, but not for solid conclusions. From that, some characters may seem more likely or less likely than others, but nobody knows for sure.
Didn't say I wasn't, but saying Bandana Dee being not unique is just as illegitimate as Paper Mario being another Mario.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Didn't say I wasn't, but saying Bandana Dee being not unique is just as illegitimate as Paper Mario being another Mario.
I don't get your logic with Paper Mario being another Mario...

Didn't say Bandana Dee wasn't unique. It's just that he's far less unique than other potential characters.

Man we're just misunderstanding each other. What time is it over there for you? It's almost midnight for me.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Ok that's cool. I like it. Is the trajectory/distance dependent on the charge?

I thought Megaton Punch was a Knuckle Joe thing though.
I think the trajectory and distance are the same, but the triple spear adds more vertical range.

Here is a video with some of his moves.

Bandana Dee, Knuckle Joe and Iron Mam are the three opponents in Megaton Punch.

Logo12

Smash Lord
I don't get your logic with Paper Mario being another Mario...

Didn't say Bandana Dee wasn't unique. It's just that he's far less unique than other potential characters.

Man we're just misunderstanding each other. What time is it over there for you? It's almost midnight for me.
It's afternoon here. As always I'm on the opposite side of the Earth from all the users here

Logic is, well, the name. The appearance (Just a paper-look Mario). Casually perceiving or not, if you are not a Mario fan, you wouldn't really want another Mario character, and even worse when it's just another character from the non-mainstream series, with the same name and look as the existent characters already.

So if "being another Mario" isn't a proper reason for you, consider "overrepresentation".

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I think the trajectory and distance are the same, but the triple spear adds more vertical range.

Here is a video with some of his moves.

Bandana Dee, Knuckle Joe and Iron Mam are the three opponents in Megaton Punch.
Ok. From that video I saw three thrown in succession and three thrown simultaneously. That's cool.

I mean, that's more proof he'd work as a character. I wouldn't put a lot of hope in his conclusion though. But he would work.

It's afternoon here. As always I'm on the opposite side of the Earth from all the users here

Logic is, well, the name. The appearance (Just a paper-look Mario). Casually perceiving or not, if you are not a Mario fan, you wouldn't really want another Mario character, and even worse when it's just another character from the non-mainstream series, with the same name and look as the existent characters already.

So if "being another Mario" isn't a proper reason for you, consider "overrepresentation".
Nobody should be surprised if the Mario series has a lot of "representation" due to it being Nintendo's biggest series.

It's not like all non-Mario fans don't want another Mario character. That's an assumption. And if you're getting your perception from here or elsewhere on the internet (I'm guessing), it's not like that represents Smash fans as a whole.

I'm not Pokemon fan and I was kinda meh when Greninja was announced. But then I played as him and I loved him! Not my favorite character but I embraced his inclusion. Toon Link is another Link and I like Toon Link, in Brawl at least. I never played Earthbound when Lucas was announced but I was excited for him.

And for other players, it's not like they're always acquainted with characters prior to playing them in Smash. That's just how it is. Not everyone knew Shulk before the played as him, or Robin, or Palutena, or Lucas, or Ike, etc. etc. That goes for me as well. I didn't know most of the characters before I played Smash 64 maaaannnny years ago. That's what makes Smash frickin awesome dude!

As for names, well there's two completely different Roys. There's Bowser and Bowser Jr., who also play differently. Link and Toon Link, who play similarly with differences. I don't see the problem here if Mario and Paper Mario are in the game, with both likely playing very differently and looking quite different from each other, in terms of style.

As we've seen, Sakurai ain't swayed much by "criticism." He's seems sensitive to it, but not easily swayed.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Nobody should be surprised if the Mario series has a lot of "representation" due to it being Nintendo's biggest series.

It's not like all non-Mario fans don't want another Mario character. That's an assumption. And if you're getting your perception from here or elsewhere on the internet (I'm guessing), it's not like that represents Smash fans as a whole.

I'm not Pokemon fan and I was kinda meh when Greninja was announced. But then I played as him and I loved him! Not my favorite character but I embraced his inclusion. Toon Link is another Link and I like Toon Link, in Brawl at least. I never played Earthbound when Lucas was announced but I was excited for him.

And for other players, it's not like they're always acquainted with characters prior to playing them in Smash. That's just how it is. Not everyone knew Shulk before the played as him, or Robin, or Palutena, or Lucas, or Ike, etc. etc. That goes for me as well. I didn't know most of the characters before I played Smash 64 maaaannnny years ago. That's what makes Smash frickin awesome dude!

As for names, well there's two completely different Roys. There's Bowser and Bowser Jr., who also play differently. Link and Toon Link, who play similarly with differences. I don't see the problem here if Mario and Paper Mario are in the game, with both likely playing very differently and looking quite different from each other, in terms of style.

As we've seen, Sakurai ain't swayed much by "criticism." He's seems sensitive to it, but not easily swayed.
Nobody is surprised, but would certainly be disappointed.

When FE and KI is already being criticized for over-representation, and how E3 is being dissed by some for being 90% Mario Celebration Party thing, Mario getting another representation would certainly be dissed. It doesn't represent Smash fans as a whole, sure, but this is a logical assumption.

The other examples you give is extremely easy to debunk:
  1. Greninja, Lucas, these are mostly a separate/unique character in the game, so I don't even know why you'd bring that up.
  2. The two Roys, you've said it already, are completely different characters. That proves nothing about Paper Mario when he literally is a Mario on a paper.
  3. Bowser and Bowser Jr are also two separate characters. These have an obviously distinctive look, but Paper Mario is, as said, by look, the same.
  4. Toon Link. Yes, he is a semi-clone that I suppose no one suggested. But the case here is that there are only 2 Links, we already have Mario and Dr Mario. When Young Link is already constantly criticized for being a third Link, Paper Mario is basically on the same boat.
Sakurai isn't affected much by criticism, but as you say this is fan service. He knows what's appealing and not. We don't exactly know what Sakurai thinks of Paper Mario, so this is pointless to mention.

Anyway, we're already getting off topic with this Paper Mario thing. Point is, there may be something going for any characters, but no characters would have no problems at all.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You're putting too much thought and stock into other people's opinions...

From what we've seen Sakurai doesn't care all that much about how people think about the large amount of Fire Emblem characters. It was reasonable for him to put in KI stuff in Smash run because the assets were easy to import. And he already addressed Dark Pit and all the clones as bonuses in a fairly logical manner. Not to mention, Lucina is a Marth clone, and Roy plays similarly to Marth (although he's differentiated significantly).

Fear of dissing ain't a valid point here. We vote, but Sakurai decides.

I think he's more afraid of omitting veterans than adding newcomers in.

I'm not really willing to continue this much further.

Let's conclude: We know nothing about future Smash DLC. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

I'm pretty sure King K. Rool is relevant again because of the costume. The only thing really against him is the costume.

Bandana Dee's day in rate their chances is today folks, I advise you all to pop up, so we assuredly get an accurate want score. http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...loon-fighter-and-bandanna-dee.398604/page-228
Kenith clearly has the Bandana Dee argument that happened some time ago fresh in mind, as he says that most Dee's supporters in Smashboards are "vicious".

I don't know should I feel offended or flattered, as I was one of the supporters who were defending Dee. :p

(No, I'm not spreading hate, and I don't want anyone to go argue there, it's just his opinion)

LF2K

Floor Diver
Hey Bandana Brigade, it's been a while since I posted here. But think I may have discovered something.

I've been replaying Kirby 64, and as we all know, a Waddle Dee whom may actually be Bandana Dee is an ally. When you encounter him in his segments in some stages, he waves you down and a "hopping" sound effect plays.

I thought that it sounded awfully familiar, so I fired up my copy of Return to Dream Land... And sure enough, the sound effect that plays when BD jumps is eerily similar to the one that WD makes in 64. If not the same.

Could this be a coincidence? Or did they secretly confirm these two are one and the same?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey Bandana Brigade, it's been a while since I posted here. But think I may have discovered something.

I've been replaying Kirby 64, and as we all know, a Waddle Dee whom may actually be Bandana Dee is an ally. When you encounter him in his sigments in some stages, he waves you down and a "hopping" sound effect plays.

I thought that it sounded awfully familiar, so I fired up my copy of Return to Dream Land... And sure enough, the sound effect that plays when BD jumps is eerily similar to the one that WD makes in 64. If not the same.

Could this be a coincidence? Or did they secretly confirm these two are one and the same?
OHMYGOSH I think you may be onto something, if they're one of the same then that's great!

I've been replaying Kirby 64, and as we all know, a Waddle Dee whom may actually be Bandana Dee is an ally. When you encounter him in his sigments in some stages, he waves you down and a "hopping" sound effect plays.

I don't know does that actually mean anything... I personally think that they're the same, but only things that could confirm it would be:
1. Nintendo officially confirms it
2. Kirby 64 remake is made, and that Waddle Dee has a bandanna.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I consider them to be the same. I like to think 64 as the "early years", if you will. Although 64 came out after Super Star, so that may mess with the chronological things. :p

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I always just assumed in my head that they were one in the same. I mean, no other Waddle Dee really goes out of their way to help Kirby.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Kenith clearly has the Bandana Dee argument that happened some time ago fresh in mind, as he says that most Dee's supporters in Smashboards are "vicious".

I don't know should I feel offended or flattered, as I was one of the supporters who were defending Dee. :p

(No, I'm not spreading hate, and I don't want anyone to go argue there, it's just his opinion)
Vicious?!

Bandana_Dee4.png

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm beginning to notice we are a commonly targeted thread/group..
We are famous!

He probably thinks that the way we defend Dee is "vicious".
I don't really care, he is just still hmmm "salty?" (is that the correct word in english? XD) about the last discussion.
He even said we put Bandana Dee above Dedede and Meta Knight and that's not even true, lol. We only compare them when people doubt Bandana Dee's importance, we only say Bandana Dee has more important roles than them lately (specially more than Meta Knight), but NOT that Bandana Dee is more important in general than them, that's ridiculous.

Not only by threads from different series, but even in the same fandom. But, I don't care it's not like they have a good argument or anything.:dedede:
The hate coming from fanbases of other Kirby characters could be just envy, as Bandana Dee is more popular and more likely candidate than, for example, Magolor and Adeleine.

I don't really care, he is just still hmmm "salty?" (is that the correct word in english? XD) about the last discussion.
He even said we put Bandana Dee above Dedede and Meta Knight and that's not even true, lol. We only compare them when people doubt Bandana Dee's importance, we only say Bandana Dee has more important roles than them lately (specially more than Meta Knight), but NOT that Bandana Dee is more important in general than them, that's ridiculous.
I don't care either, although I didn't like how he referred Dee's support as "bandwagon".

EDIT: And yes, salty is correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom