• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
It makes sense since it's the home menu, Dedede has sound, Kirby has camera, and Bandana Dee has settings. Once again Meta Knight is nowhere to be found.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really want a Nintendo Direct, something...
The costumes, the 64 stages and tournament mode were pretty boring.
The most exciting thing about the last update was the balance patch XD

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
I had a dream that Rayman and Bandana Dee were announced in a Nintendo Direct. I woke up with a bloody nose. :/

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what smash character would you like to see cameo or appear in a Kirby game that hasn't already appeared in one (no Hand duo, Samus, other Kirby characters etc). I think it would be interesting to see some Pokemon in the Kirby universe. It would be funny to see, say, Mewtwo vs Meta Knight in a Kirby game.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have returned from my unexpected leave of absence. What'd I miss? I probably already know the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey there guys, long time no see! :) did I miss anything? Edit: And yes I know about what happened to Iwata, it's so sad. R. I. P. :(

Last edited:
Hey there guys, long time no see! :) did I miss anything?
Welcome back!

We had some deevastating news while you were away, Mr. Iwata passed away. :( Although you've probably heard about it from elsewhere. Other than that, just a few deescussions and news about some Kirby badge thing.

EDIT: Started typing this post before you edited your's... so yeah, you missed nothing important.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hey there guys, long time no see! :) did I miss anything? Edit: And yes I know about what happened to Iwata, it's so sad. R. I. P. :(
You missed a whole lot of nothing, unfortunately. K. Rool's a costume, so that's raising some eyebrows.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Maybe that he is not the MOST wanted newcomer in general, has some haters or the possibiliy that Sakurai just thinks he is not necessary.

But the last two can be applied to all the possible newcomers or even veterans.
Warning, Warning, Warning:

Outsider perspective incoming, brace yourselves.

I think it's Bandana Dee's slow evolution as a character in the series. I know he's been in many of the games (playing little to no role in earlier games), but it took a while for him to cement his place as a major character. If you guys didn't have this thread, I would never have even known he existed, or was any different than his waddle dee counterparts. I've bought quite a few kirby games in my time, and... just have never come across him. Kirby Knightmare in Dreamland, Superstar Ultra (I know now that he was in one of the mini games), and Kirby's Dreamland 2... Some of the most popular games in the entirety of Kirby, and I just didn't notice him.

Maybe I'm daft or blind, or both. But point being, I guess unless if you're an avid fan of the newer games you wouldn't know about him. And yes I will pull the Goomba with a hat card, because to me, that was my first impression. I don't know how you'd expect anything less. Of course I've come around to the idea that he could potentially be a pretty neat character. But that IS what he is at first glance. To the many people who aren't big fans of Kirby, that's what they will think.

Despite the popularity on the forums here, he's just not that big of a character.

I'm not sure when Sakurai stopped helping with the development of Kirby games and left Hal Laboratories (Seems his last game was the Amazing Mirror...) but I don't know how much he really invested into that character himself.

I think Bandana Dee has a decent shot. Maybe not as great a shot as you all may think, but MUCH better than other characters can say. Not to mention, isn't his official name "Bandana Waddle Dee?" They could do with a shortening on that one.

Try not to be too salty or pissy with me. I'm just speaking my mind.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I really want a Nintendo Direct, something...
The costumes, the 64 stages and tournament mode were pretty boring.
The most exciting thing about the last update was the balance patch XD
The balance patch that didn't buff my main.

I love Peach's Castle 64 though.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Don't worry, we wouldn't be - you're being polite. :)
WHAT DID THAT GUY SA... oh.

I think it's Bandana Dee's slow evolution as a character in the series. I know he's been in many of the games (playing little to no role in earlier games), but it took a while for him to cement his place as a major character. If you guys didn't have this thread, I would never have even known he existed, or was any different than his waddle dee counterparts. I've bought quite a few kirby games in my time, and... just have never come across him. Kirby Knightmare in Dreamland, Superstar Ultra (I know now that he was in one of the mini games), and Kirby's Dreamland 2... Some of the most popular games in the entirety of Kirby, and I just didn't notice him.

Maybe I'm daft or blind, or both. But point being, I guess unless if you're an avid fan of the newer games you wouldn't know about him. And yes I will pull the Goomba with a hat card, because to me, that was my first impression. I don't know how you'd expect anything less. Of course I've come around to the idea that he could potentially be a pretty neat character. But that IS what he is at first glance. To the many people who aren't big fans of Kirby, that's what they will think.

Despite the popularity on the forums here, he's just not that big of a character.

I'm not sure when Sakurai stopped helping with the development of Kirby games and left Hal Laboratories (Seems his last game was the Amazing Mirror...) but I don't know how much he really invested into that character himself.

I think Bandana Dee has a decent shot. Maybe not as great a shot as you all may think, but MUCH better than other characters can say. Not to mention, isn't his official name "Bandana Waddle Dee?" They could do with a shortening on that one.

That's actually a personal thing, you need to know very little about Kirby or Smash speculation to not know Bandana Dee.
It's like the Isaac situation, non Golden Sun fans and people who don't really know about Smash possibilities think he would be a Robin or Shulk clone only because anime, magic, sword guy.
That's not the character's fault, it's just the ignorance of some people, and considering that the hardcore Smash fans are the ones who buy more DLC, I'm pretty sure most of the people know about the top contenders, Bandana Dee included.

About him not being a "big" character, that's just your opinion, he is pretty popular here AND in Japan, unlike a lot of other characters that are considered Top Tier in popularity just because they are popular in America (Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, etc.)

The last Kirby game Sakurai developed was Air Ride, he was just credited in Amazing Mirror.

Bandana Dee and Bandana Waddle Dee are both valid names.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
That's actually a personal thing, you need to know very little about Kirby or Smash speculation to not know Bandana Dee. It's like the Isaac situation, non Golden Sun fans and people who don't really know about Smash possibilities think he would be Robin or Shulk clone only because anime, magic, sword guy.
Well... I mean I'm not sure how comparable Isaac and Bandana Dee really are. Both have stark differences. Isaac has already been in Smash before. But I won't go much further than that.

That's not the character's fault, it's just the ignorance of some people, and considering that the hardcore Smash fans are the ones who buy more DLC, I'm pretty sure most of the people know about the top contenders, Bandana Dee included.
Well I mean ignorance of a character has a direct impact on the popularity of characters. It's just my personal experience, and I'm going to assume a common experience for many who did not buy or play the newer games. I was merely pointing at what may go against his chances in Sm4sh since everyone was asking what could be going against him. I do not think his cult popularity on these forums is comparable to his popularity in the world. And I'm definitely not convinced that DLC is only for hardcore fans.

About him not being a "big" character, that's just your opinion, he is pretty popular here AND in Japan, unlike a lot of other characters that are considered Top Tier in popularity just because they are popular in America (Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc.)
I currently teach and reside in Japan (home on vacation at the moment)! I'm well aware of Kirby's popularity here.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys, I just spotted a mention of some Kirby printables being added to Nintendo Europe's Nintendo Kids Club sub-site in the latest Nintendo Europe promotional e-mail, and sure enough one of them is of Bandana Waddle Dee. Maybe we can find a use for it?

You can get the PDF here - he's on the last page.

EDIT:

And I'm definitely not convinced that DLC is only for hardcore fans.
I agree with this. Whilst it's been officially stated that the DLC from here on out will be fan-service, it would be foolish to think that they won't be considering what will and won't sell, even so - the DLC will need to sell to a wider audience than the internet fanbase.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well... I mean I'm not sure how comparable Isaac and Bandana Dee really are. Both have stark differences. Isaac has already been in Smash before. But I won't go much further than that.
I compared the situations, not the characters, and Isaac being an AT in Brawl is not relevant to the conversation at all.

Well I mean ignorance of a character has a direct impact on the popularity of characters. It's just my personal experience, and I'm going to assume a common experience for many who did not buy or play the newer games. I was merely pointing at what may go against his chances in Sm4sh since everyone was asking what could be going against him. I do not think his cult popularity on these forums is comparable to his popularity in the world. And I'm definitely not convinced that DLC is only for hardcore fans.
You can say "maybe people didn't play the character's game, so that means they don't know about the character" about literally every character.
About the cult popularity in these forums, that's pretty obvious, but you need to consider that this is the biggest and most popular Smash website about speculation/competitions/etc.
I didn't say DLC is only for hardcore fans, I said hardcore fans are the ones that are most interested in it and most of the people who buy DLC are hardcore fans.

I currently teach and reside in Japan (home on vacation at the moment)! I'm well aware of Kirby's popularity here.
And you still said Bandana Dee's popularity is not big.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I compared the situations, not the characters, and Isaac being an AT in Brawl is not relevant to the conversation at all.
Hey you strawmanned Isaac into the conversation to begin with lol.

The situations aren't comparable because you're comparing a side character of the Kirby franchise to an entire franchise itself.

Let me try to clarify.

My original argument had to do with Waddle Dee's slow crawl to BECOME something significant. I think that slow crawl has significantly impacted his popularity. He wasn't always the side kick, sometimes he wasn't even in the game, and even when he was, sometimes his role was insignificant. When you think of a franchise's popularity, you can almost always name the main character. Once you start going down the ladder of side characters/villians in a franchise, people who aren't huge fans of the game will have no idea who he/she is, let alone vote for him.

You can say "maybe people didn't play the character's game, so that means they don't know about the character" about literally every character.
About the cult popularity in these forums, that's pretty obvious, but you need to consider that this is the biggest and most popular Smash website about speculation/competitions/etc.
I didn't say DLC is only for hardcore fans, I said hardcore fans are the ones that are most interested in it and most of the people who buy DLC are hardcore fans.
It's really relative to who we are talking about, which in this case Bandana Dee hasn't been featured in every game as a major character. Which significantly hurts his chances, just like it hurts Dixie's chances, just like it hurts Krystal's chances, just like it hurts many other character's chances.

And you still said Bandana Dee's popularity is not big.
I never said that, I said his popularity on the Smash Boards is not comparable to his popularity world-wide. In fact, I already said I think he has a pretty decent shot. Kirby=/=Bandana Dee!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

The situations aren't comparable because you're comparing a side character of the Kirby franchise to an entire franchise itself.

Let me try to clarify.

My original argument had to do with Waddle Dee's slow crawl to BECOME something significant. I think that slow crawl has significantly impacted his popularity. He wasn't always the side kick, sometimes he wasn't even in the game, and even when he was, sometimes his role was insignificant. When you think of a franchise's popularity, you can almost always name the main character. Once you start going down the ladder of side characters/villians in a franchise, people who aren't huge fans of the game will have no idea who he/she is, let alone vote for him.

It's really relative to who we are talking about, which in this case Bandana Dee hasn't been featured in every game as a major character. Which significantly hurts his chances, just like it hurts Dixie's chances, just like it hurts Krystal's chances, just like it hurts many other character's chances.

I never said that, I said his popularity on the Smash Boards is not comparable to his popularity world-wide. In fact, I already said I think he has a pretty decent shot. Kirby=/=Bandana Dee!
Please stop the arguing... :(

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Let me try to clarify.

Again lol
I mentioned Isaac as an example to how ignorant people think popular characters are not likely, interesting, etc.
People that are interested in Smash speculation and that don't know Bandana Dee are ignorant.
You didn't understand what I was trying to say.

A character doesn't need to be in all the games of his or her franchise to be popular/important.
That's a terrible argument.

And I literally said Bandana Dee was popular in Japan, I didn't say "Kirby is popular in Japan and that means BD is popular too".
Bandana Dee as a character/Smash DLC possibility is popular.

You are basically describing the people who only bought the game because Mario is fighting Pikachu, the "casuals", and their ignorance about Smash possibilities affects literally all the characters. And it's funny, because the "casuals" are (most of them) kids, and that means they are more familiarized with the recent games... and Bandana Dee appears in the most recent games.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
As I only became a Kirby fan recently (March), I didn't know King Dedede and Meta Knight until I started playing Kirby in Smash.
A previously made argument is that BD would not be well known outside of Kirby, for people who never played the series, so could MK and D3. That argument could apply to all characters from all series (although it would seem very unlikely for some characters).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

That's simply because none of the game you have had BWD in them, with the exception of Ultra. I'm actually going to go head and agree with Chandy (yes, I just said that) that Dee's image is directly related to ignorance. If you've been following Kirby any time since the release of Ultra, which was a fairly long time ago, then you should know who he is.
What exactly IS the "Goomba in a hat" argument? I mean, is it a bad thing to be a standout member of the most popular species in the series? It's already been established that a Goomba has potential for a very interesting character, so I am not seeing the argument here.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Considering Bandana Dee has featured in every single Kirby game since RTD (where he was first pushed into the forefront) it's clear he's being established as a main character. It's kinda silly to expect him to be instantly recognizable among the likes of Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight who have been around for many more years. Also I remember a ton of people not knowing who Meta Knight was until he showed up in Brawl. Same with King Dedede.

Let's be honest, most people only recognize one character from the Kirby series: Kirby himself. And that's not when they think he's a pokemon.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Gotta grow some thick skin and stand up for your boy my friend. My arguments are only in good spirit, afterall, forums were made for discussing things.
Okay, then I'll defend,

Waddle Dee (Aka: Bandana Dee):
Last appearance: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Year: 2015
Creator: Masahiro Sakurai
Also has the biggest character thread on Smashboards.

Issac (Aka: Robin):
Last appearance: Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Year: 2011
Creator: Shinji Hatano
Also has the 2nd biggest character thread on Smashboards. (Which actually isn't bad but still look above.)

As you kan see I left out King K. Rool bekause of his unfortunate mishap that happened. Also Waddle Dee is more popular, not just on Smashboards, but internationally. See I've done lots of research so I know about this stuff. That is my defense.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I want to believe you're joking, but I'm sure you're not. :p
But it's true XD
You need to be a very big Nintendo fan to recognize all the characters that are not the main protagonist in a franchise.
Okay, then I'll defend,

Waddle Dee (Aka: Bandana Dee):
Last appearance: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Year: 2015
Creator: Masahiro Sakurai
Also has the biggest character thread on Smashboards.

Issac:
Last appearance: Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Year: 2011
Creator: Shinji Hatano
Also has the 2nd biggest character thread on Smashboards. (Which actually isn't bad but still look above.)

As you kan see I left out King K. Rool bekause of his unfortunate mishap that happened. Also Waddle Dee is more popular, not just on Smashboards, but internationally. See I've done lots of research so I know about this stuff. That is my defense.
More posts in a thread doesn't mean more popularity, Isaac is much more popular than Bandana Dee in America.
In Japan, Bandana Dee is probably more popular, but still.
And I don't think K.Rool is 100% disconfirmed.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Considering Bandana Dee has featured in every single Kirby game since RTD (where he was first pushed into the forefront) it's clear he's being established as a main character. It's kinda silly to expect him to be instantly recognizable among the likes of Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight who have been around for many more years. Also I remember a ton of people not knowing who Meta Knight was until he showed up in Brawl. Same with King Dedede.

Let's be honest, most people only recognize one character from the Kirby series: Kirby himself. And that's not when they think he's a pokemon.
Normal/Flying type?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But it's true XD
You need to be a very big Nintendo fan to recognize all the characters that are not the main protagonist in a franchise.

More posts in a thread doesn't mean more popularity, Isaac is much more popular than Bandana Dee in America.
In Japan, Bandana Dee is probably more popular, but still.
And I don't think K.Rool is 100% disconfirmed.
Never said I did.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Again lol
I mentioned Isaac as an example to how ignorant people think popular characters are not likely, interesting, etc.
People that are interested in Smash speculation and that don't know Bandana Dee are ignorant.
You didn't understand what I was trying to say.
I'd describe myself as someone who's interested in Smash speculation, and I did not know about Bandana Dee until I saw this thread. What difference does it make if I'm not interested in Smash speculation? Ignorance is ignorance, and isn't a bad thing. As someone who likes and enjoys Kirby games, I haven't heard of him. There are many like me pre-smash boards influenced who don't know who he is, that voted.

A character doesn't need to be in all the games of his or her franchise to be popular/important.
That's a terrible argument.
A misrepresentation of my argument. I said it hurts their chances.

And I literally said Bandana Dee was popular in Japan, I didn't say "Kirby is popular in Japan and that means BD is popular too".
Bandana Dee as a character/Smash DLC possibility is popular.
I'm just going to say it again, as bluntly as possible. Bandana Dee is not as popular worldwide as you'd like to imagine. I think y'all have done a splendid job getting his name out there.

And once again, I like to think his chances as DLC are better than most.

You are basically describing the people who only bought the game because Mario is fighting Pikachu, the "casuals", and their ignorance about Smash possibilities affects literally all the characters. And it's funny, because the "casuals" are (most of them) kids, and that means they are more familiarized with the recent games... and Bandana Dee appears in the most recent games.
Umm, I don't think I'm describing those people in particular. Another misrepresentation of my argument... If anything you're just downplaying the casual votes here.

That's simply because none of the game you have had BWD in them, with the exception of Ultra. I'm actually going to go head and agree with Chandy (yes, I just said that) that Dee's image is directly related to ignorance. If you've been following Kirby any time since the release of Ultra, which was a fairly long time ago, then you should know who he is.
Yes, that's my point. I'm pretty sure the three games I mentioned were among the most popular Kirby games ever. I played Ultra, and I had to be reminded that the Waddle Dee in Megaton Punch was wearing a headband lol. You can paint many people ignorant, but it still doesn't help your argument.

What exactly IS the "Goomba in a hat" argument? I mean, is it a bad thing to be a standout member of the most popular species in the series? It's already been established that a Goomba has potential for a very interesting character, so I am not seeing the argument here.
Umm.. right... lol

The Goomba in a hat argument from what I've seen points out most people at first glance see Bandana Dee as nothing more than the most common generic enemy from the game. Which would not make an interesting smash character. I think most people in this thread know that BD is different.

Last edited:

You say Bandana Dee's chances of being a DLC character is in jeopardy because he's not that popular, but most of the popular DLC characters aren't really that popular (Shantae, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight,Issac,Wolf,etc) outside of Smash. (I'm not angry at you or anything, heck I'm glad you brought this up. It makes the thread more alive). :dedede:

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
You say Bandana Dee's chances of being a DLC character is in jeopardy because he's not that popular, but most of the popular DLC characters aren't really that popular (Shantae, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight,Issac,Wolf,etc) outside of Smash. (I'm not angry at you or anything, heck I'm glad you brought this up. It makes the thread more alive). :dedede:
I was actually going to point this out earlier, but got lost amidst a ****ty phone game. A lot of the remaining contenders aren't super popular. I'd argue this is BD's way of getting into the roster.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, we're shutting this argument down.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Kirby's Dream Land 2, Bandana Dee didn't exist then.
Nightmare in Dream Land, Bandana Dee only appeared as a one shot character in one game.
Super Star Ultra, Actually given a personality as his only appearance Pre-make was Super Star.

Out of Bandana Dee's appearances in the games mentioned, only Dream Land 2 wasn't a remake.

Top Bottom