• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Here this is a poll made by PushDustin
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...S0/pubchart?oid=1404193269&format=interactive

This was made before Lucas was announced so it might be outdated, but I'm still pretty sure Wolf is at the top.

These are also all newcomers. Since this is japanese all the veterans would totally be in the front.
Thank you! Actually providing a source does wonders for this kind of topic.

While it does speak for Wolf being high up, the main flaw you pointed out was how this poll is potentially outdated. The most recent results I posted were April 2015, which should have been right after Lucas was announced. Wolf has definitely dropped in favor of Snake and Isaac by then. None of this is to say that Wolf isn't popular, just not as popular as the other two.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Also, I'm not sure, but I remember that the poll was made just with people's comments in japanese websites.
Like if a person mentions Krystal, it was considered a Krystal vote, or something like that.

Does Japan make polls like the reddit's polls or something?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Which I would see as a problem... if these results weren't so inconclusive to begin with. Seriously, why is everyone pulling "information" from these sites? These fan polls and what not mean NOTHING. The information pulled from them means NOTHING. There are a few things that make these "sources" unreliable:

1. They are rig-able. There is nothing stopping bots and trolls from spamming these things to death with numerous votes for some characters. This of course can happen with the ballot itself too, but the difference here is THAT is official. There are more than likely filters in place to prevent ballot spamming and to prevent such situations from occurring (I mean they must have some system in place since they are going to be gathering millions of votes and suggestions by the end of this thing...)

2. The results are inconclusive. Why?... Because they only focus on individual sectors of the community. You do a reddit poll, and most of the time you'll get the results of "some" of the reddit users. (I say some, as not all are still guaranteed to even bother with the poll in the first place).. plus any bots that make their way into it as well. Same goes for if we held a Bandana Dee poll on smashboards. We would ONLY get results of the fans on this forum. Once again, even then that is the people that do take the time to vote.

3. Inflation.. Trying to rely on these fan generated polls and surveys can result in campaign inflation. Due to the presence of bots and trolls, campaigns can seem larger than they actually are. (Not to say they aren't a real campaign. it's just what would you rather have? ACCURATE results for that character, or spammed results made by bots for that character?...) Results from bots mean nothing. They don't reflect any particular side, and just muck things up..

All this said... in the end, the ONLY source we have that is legitimate at this point, is the ballot itself.. and we have no information on that, sooo.... for now. Lets stop assuming who is and isn't leading this thing, and focus on campaigning regardless of the results (which we'll see from the ballot itself and not from some random fan generated poll on a single site/forum that is bound to be full of bias and bots :) )

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I would like to know Japan's most wanted characters now, that poll everybody shows (also made by @PushDustIn) is a little old, IMO.

Well I have some good news, the Japanese Smash Bros Miiverse community is surrounded with posts of two particular characters, these two appear very often, there's King. K Rool and drumroll please, Bandana Waddle Dee. Now considering that Sakurai has stated that he reads every single Miiverse post in The SSB community, he probably knows of this. There was also this funny post where Robin says how Bandana Dee and K. Rool have so many requests and Chrom gets jealous. lol.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

This wasn't even mentioned in the article. Room for two more character portraits on the main website.

When you pair that with how there's only room for two more characters on the CSS, as well as the fact that the article explained its basis throughout, it's a caution we should be aware of. I'd rather we get something like this wrong be like "Whew, that's a relief!" than blow it off right now like this is nothing and suddenly realized how screwed we are when it turns out they were right. Being passive about this possibility is anything but helpful to the cause, Meteor.
Ooh, onto last names now, are we, Robby? But, my feisty Brigadeer, you have me mistaken. I'm not saying that we should just slack off or anything like that. I'm saying that we can afford that to put forth the same amount of effort that we're putting in now, regarding all this talk about "spots." We don't want to rush ourselves on a dime because of this article.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ooh, onto last names now, are we, Robby? But, my feisty Brigadeer, you have me mistaken. I'm not saying that we should just slack off or anything like that. I'm saying that we can afford that to put forth the same amount of effort that we're putting in now, regarding all this talk about "spots." We don't want to rush ourselves on a dime because of this article.
Yep. In my opinion all it really is is just ragebait... All that would do is just get campaigns into a frenzy, making them think the ballot is super limited, and turn this whole thing into an all out flamewar...

Personally, I'd rather not see that happen.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
@ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker
They're not meant to be all-comprehensive. It's sample data, and unfortunately the best we can get, but it's still data nonetheless. Like weather forecasting, it's not going to be 100% accurate, but it's far more useful to pay attention to than to ignore completely. It can give us a prediction of the future. Bias and bots can reside within the actual Smash Ballot itself as well, and it's not as if these people who are voting in the data are lying about who they will be voting for in the actual Ballot. It's not a crystal ball, but it does us more harm than good to just disregard entirely, Manic.

I'm not asking us to follow the data like sheep, but I'm saying the data is legitimate and warrants consideration.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure there's always 2 spaces left on the site, regardless of how many characters there were at a time, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being that way for quite some time. Luckily, we have a chance of being Pre-ballot too, something not many have realized, we have some chances that Bandana Dee was at least at one point in time planned for the game. Removal of Waddle Dee toss + No Waddle Dee trophy + Custom stage Dee = kinda likely.
Now, I'm not saying we're guaranteed a spot, but we have quite a bit of justification backing us up, and it is kind of suspicious that there's no Waddle Dee trophy. I'd give us a 20% chance we make it, disregarding ballot entirely. Thoughts?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm pretty sure there's always 2 spaces left on the site, regardless of how many characters there were at a time, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being that way for quite some time. Luckily, we have a chance of being Pre-ballot too, something not many have realized, we have some chances that Bandana Dee was at least at one point in time planned for the game. Removal of Waddle Dee toss + No Waddle Dee trophy + Custom stage Dee = kinda likely.
Now, I'm not saying we're guaranteed a spot, but we have quite a bit of justification backing us up, and it is kind of suspicious that there's no Waddle Dee trophy. I'd give us a 20% chance we make it, disregarding ballot entirely. Thoughts?
Waddle Dee toss was removed since it would slow the 3DS down, and there's no Waddle Dee trophy? Like Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee. btw they spell Bandana wrong.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Waddle Dee toss was removed since it would slow the 3DS down, and there's no Waddle Dee trophy? Like Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee. btw they spell Bandana wrong.
They have no Waddle Dee trophy in the game, they have Parasol Waddle Dee though which is part of why I think that's so weird. Waddle Dee is a common enemy in smash run, so maybe they are saving the name Waddle Dee for another trophy later on ;).

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
@ Manic Rykker Manic Rykker
They're not meant to be all-comprehensive. It's sample data, and unfortunately the best we can get, but it's still data nonetheless. Like weather forecasting, it's not going to be 100% accurate, but it's far more useful to pay attention to than to ignore completely. It can give us a prediction of the future. Bias and bots can reside within the actual Smash Ballot itself as well, and it's not as if these people who are voting in the data are lying about who they will be voting for in the actual Ballot. It's not a crystal ball, but it does us more harm than good to just disregard entirely, Manic.

I'm not asking us to follow the data like sheep, but I'm saying the data is legitimate and warrants consideration.
Basically put, what I meant is we can consider this stuff, and sorta "heh" accordingly at the results. (I didn't necessarily mean we had to ignore them. It's always cool seeing this stuff regardless of credibility.. I think I might have gotten carried away for reasons that are sorta obvious XD). However we shouldn't necessarily put too much balance into them.. It may be all we have, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's credible enough to keep us balanced.

Also, there is no guarantee on whom an individual may vote for. For example, there are many on this site whom are omni-supporters (support more than one character for Smash). On one hand, they "could" vote for them all. On another hand, they could end up voting for one of those characters (their favorite). I wouldn't be surprised if we have a handful of supporters like this in the campaign right now (Infact, you're talking to one right now! :p I say this as I myself, as an example attempt to be of assistance to several campaigns in this. I want to provide information to as many as I can rather than stick to one thing.. At any rate, I have too big of a love for too many franchises/characters to be able to stick to a single thing.. lol XD)

Whatever the case, while it is a good thing to not disregard the data entirely... we shouldn't sheep to it, like you mentioned. I mostly brought up that post as I was seeing a lot of users that were treating some of the data like it was unanimous.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so, assuming (not saying it IS the case, but hear me out) that things really could be the worst-case scenario that the article from earlier looks at, what else can we do that we aren't already doing or haven't already done?

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
1. It can be spelt either Bandanna Dee or Bandana Dee
2. There is no Waddle Dee (normal) trophy AT ALL...Weird

WARNING!: Lots of text ahead but I urge you to read it.

All this Smash 5 talk is seriously depressing me...I get the likeliness of Bandanna Dee is already slim but all this makes me feel more and more like I'm just wasting my time, I spend countless hours of my life (around 7 hours a day possibly) on my computer sometimes it's Bandana related (most of the time it is) sometimes it's not (I spend a lot of time caring for someone who really doesn't care about me) but just like Reserved feels like with digging up Kirby's Return to Dreamland I'm thinking....for what, I'm feeling even if we do get Bandanna Dee...I could be just wasting all my time I could of spent learning how to accomplish goals (I think me and God Roberts Cousin may have the same goal) I don't really do that much in my real life either...I'm just...book smart.. I lack real skills honestly, I am an artist but if I want to ever go somewhere I need more materials to accomplish that...not a 2GB computer from 2000 something that can't even handle it's own fan so I have to put my own desk fan there to cool down the stupid computer. I get that I can't be perfect but...I wish I could do more..but I'm afraid I just don't have the materials necessary. Sure I'm the "youtuber" group has...(even tho I'm a terrible editor and terrible at typing regardless of English being my only language.) I'm aware most of this is just first world problems..but in a nutshell I feel that I'm failing the group due to my lack of knowledge and lack of skill...I've said I would try to improve everything I currently do but...I'm just in a corner at this point. In a nuttier nutshell I'm asking for help (want it even nuttier) I want to be given opinions on my artwork (don't speak of my videos....those have been addressed personally) constructive criticism preferably, If you are going to tell me these constructive things do me a secondary favor and link me a video of an example or a tutorial if you will this would mean a lot to me...Thank You in advance.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
It's either your full name or calling you Mario. Meteor is the closest thing to unique your name has around here. :ohwell:

Do you even realize what our current amount of effort has even done for us, though? Aside from a better mindset here in the thread, what have we accomplished? And I don't mean what have we done for the campaign--I'm asking you, do you see a tangible difference in our number of supporters between when we started and now? I'm so bent up about this because BWD isn't topping the poll. We're tiny compared to Kremling Kampaign's success. We're behind more popular main protagonists that would love to get into Smash instead, like Isaac and Paper Mario. Our current efforts aren't enough. If we let our guard down, BWD will be left to Smash 5, if even then.

It's just an extremely discouraging thing to hear one of our figureheads saying "we don't need to work any harder" when we're 2 weeks in and have very little to show for it.
Should I ask the person again to come to the thread? @ God Robert's Cousin God Robert's Cousin
Go ahead. I don't know what will come out of it, but you don't need my permission either way.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
@Laikue Sorry, but could I just ask again, sorry! Things have just been getting hot in here, but besides that just take your time.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
It's either your full name or calling you Mario. Meteor is the closest thing to unique your name has around here. :ohwell:

Do you even realize what our current amount of effort has even done for us, though? Aside from a better mindset here in the thread, what have we accomplished? And I don't mean what have we done for the campaign--I'm asking you, do you see a tangible difference in our number of supporters between when we started and now? I'm so bent up about this because BWD isn't topping the poll. We're tiny compared to Kremling Kampaign's success. We're behind more popular main protagonists that would love to get into Smash instead, like Isaac and Paper Mario. Our current efforts aren't enough. If we let our guard down, BWD will be left to Smash 5, if even then.

It's just an extremely discouraging thing to hear one of our figureheads saying "we don't need to work any harder" when we're 2 weeks in and have very little to show for it.

Go ahead. I don't know what will come out of it, but you don't need my permission either way.
The Kremling have had support since Melee,14 years ago.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Reading these last three pages, all these talks on Wreck it Ralph, Sega, Shantae (who by the way will not be a DLC character) etc, and I'm just like... dang.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Reading these last three pages, all these talks on Wreck it Ralph, Sega, Shantae (who by the way will not be a DLC character) etc, and I'm just like... dang.
Oh. Glad to know you're from the future! :D

...Seriously, Unless you either have a time machine, or have data for EVERY SINGLE SUPPORTER in every single campaign.. Your statement holds no water.

Any
videogame character is eligible for the ballot. That includes 3rd party, and indie characters. Whether one likes it or not, just because a character is popular to begin with doesn't necessarily mean they'll be a shoe-in. (There is no such thing as a shoe in. Even though the Ridley campaign for example had massive support, and had good reasonings for wanting him in, regardless of detractions made against him, it still ended with him not being playable.. and the creator siding with the detractors to begin with.)

That said, to be honest, there is no guarantee what characters are going to be DLC fighters. In the end Sakurai and Nintendo will still judge things, and characters they don't see fit will end up shelved. (This is another reason we don't have to worry about troll votes..)

All in all, when you think about it, thats the point of the ballot to begin with. Asking for fan input. It's not about popularity. It won't fall on obscurity, relevance, or even what company they are from. It all falls on fan favorites. If it weren't, they would just go with whoever they see fit, and just ignore us all entirely.

That is where K. Rool, and many other campaigns (as well as this one) gets an edge in this. This stuff is paid DLC after all, so they'll go with characters they know will make money,... and characters that have big fan followings (and news flash: Shantae has one too... and it's always growing... mark my words that needless obscurity won't be a thing forever.) will end up being the primary focus.

That said.. I'm thinking about compiling a bracket line up of notable campaigns here on the forums. I've been following a lot of campaigns so far, and am feeling like I can really set up something cool. It will, as usually, be on the help thread.. This one for sure will definitely be on that list.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I never knew of this till now.
Still doesn't particularly mean that campaign popped up EXACTLY then. While it is possible that a lot more organization occurred around the time of Smash 4 (I mean we started getting more organized recently after all..)... that doesn't mean that's when fans started wanting him. Fans have wanted the Kremling King in for a few installments now.

Edit: My internet is going on the fritz for some reason as of the moment.. so I may not be able to reply to some messages/check the thread for a bit. I'll be back later everyone!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So anyway I decided to look at Miiverse for reasearch reasons, looked at posts and guess what I found in the Japanese Smash Bros community.

Posts with K. Rool:1(Sort of)
Posts with Bandana Dee:2

So yes, it seems as though that Bandana Dee is appearing more than K. Rool, at least in Japan, so nowI want to know, what do you all think of these findings?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So anyway I decided to look at Miiverse for reasearch reasons, looked at posts and guess what I found in the Japanese Smash Bros community.

So yes, it seems as though that Bandana Dee is appearing more than K. Rool, at least in Japan, so nowI want to know, what do you all think of these findings?
Well, Bandana Dee is easier to draw...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Do you mean a 1 to 2 ratio out of a certain amount of posts or just 1 K.Rool pic and 2 Bandana Dee? We'd need a larger sample size if it's just 3 pictures, but this is definitely good.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Again, make propaganda, I'm tired of saying this and I say it because I'm sure some of you aren't doing it.
Draw in Miiverse (american and japanese), post comments in social media, vote in the ballot with computers and cell phones, tell your friends and family.
I waste a lot of my free time in Miiverse and Youtube doing this, so yeah, please, do it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Do you mean a 1 to 2 ratio out of a certain amount of posts or just 1 K.Rool pic and 2 Bandana Dee? We'd need a larger sample size if it's just 3 pictures, but this is definitely good.
I guess you could say both.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Again, make propaganda, I'm tired of saying this and I say it because I'm sure some of you aren't doing it.
Draw in Miiverse (american and japanese), post comments in social media, vote in the ballot with computers and cell phones, tell your friends and family.
I waste a lot of my free time in Miiverse and Youtube doing this, so yeah, please, do it.
Hahaha..uhh I just don't want to get blocked on Youtube...but ohhhk

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Just uploaded to Miiverse these two!! :dr-_-:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkMhz_Djw

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkMh4QLow
I wish I had a Wii U so I could use the paint option to make drawings with colors other than black and white:drsad:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm still taking art lessons, sorry! ;(

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
Good work!
But seriously, if you have a Wii U you should take advantage of the paint mode
There aren't only a wider variety of colors, but there's also a bigger screen where you can draw
What's better?
This?

Or this?

In this Drawing BD was just painted over Kirby
As you can see Bandana Waddle Dee isn't even that good difficult to draw!
The painting feature is like a blessing for the artists, don't let this opportunity escape :drflip:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I've already told you my real name. You just choose not to use it.
So, Robby, tell me: what exactly will this article change? The way I see it, this is just another way to spark another pointless argument between us (although, I won't lie, I do kind of enjoy these) and cause havoc in the thread. It's completely unnecessary. I get that you want results, but results take time. Don't be so impatient.
I do in fact see a tangible increase in our ranks. I could name some of them right now if I actually remembered them.
So I'm a "figurehead?" You sure do know how to flatter someone, Robby. Well, take it from a figurehead: Like you said, we're only two weeks in to our campaign, and for that, I say we're doing all right.
Matter of fact, I address this part to everyone, not just Robby, This does not mean slack off. This means don't let this article get you riled up, because everything would be continuing as normal had Chandy not bought this article up. Not to pin anything on you, Chandy, you're an amazing leader.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

looks so real I can almost touch it :crying:
Wow, where did you find this?! :crazy:

Well... if you don't want to draw, make posts, comments.
And give out "Yeah!"s to others' BWD-related posts, comments, screenshots, art and so on, that you happen across. Once those start accumulating, that should begin to help raising the profile of Bandana Waddle Dee on Miiverse, with any luck.

On that note, I saw a similar question asked in the King K. Rool thread, and I'd like to reiterate it here... To those who own Smash Wii U: Has anyone seen any BWD support postings showing up in the Miiverse stage?

I've seen a few, at this point, and two particularly stood out to me when I last played. The first was one that proclaimed "Bandana Waddle Dee Confirmed!" along with a neat drawing of BWD, and the second was a doodle of Dedede and Bandana Waddle Dee celebrating with drinks. Thanks to whoever made those, if you guys are here - they raised a smile!

EDIT;

Okay! I'll post them in the Kirby and King Dedede communities!
Don't forget Meta Knight!

Last edited:
Top Bottom