• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
To be honest, I doubt Artsy would do any Kirby character because they all have that bright design thing about them so the character would look basically the exact same. I mean, he could redesign a few things like putting a logo on his bandana or something, but that's about it. But me and my pessimism about things. -shrug-
Why would their bright design stop them? All of the Smashifieds use bright colors.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
That would be awesome.
Yeah, a lot of Roys and Ryus XD

Well, we don't have something to discuss right now so...
I mean, all the most popular threads are off-topic most of the time.

Added.
Do you still want to play?
Maybe some 3 players matches?
nah too late now I work in the morning good night guys

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Why would their bright design stop them? All of the Smashifieds use bright colors.
I don't really mean bright colors would stop them, but the fact that their design is simple and kiddy. Not kiddy as "childish, don't play 0/10" but as in like Starfy in your sig. He'd look literally the exact same. Is his design childish? No, but it's just the fact that Starfy and Dee are simple. Shantae looks pretty different in each installment afaik, Inklings look a bit different, KKR looks really detailed, etc. etc. Dee would be the same.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't really mean bright colors would stop them, but the fact that their design is simple and kiddy. Not kiddy as "childish, don't play 0/10" but as in like Starfy in your sig. He'd look literally the exact same. Is his design childish? No, but it's just the fact that Starfy and Dee are simple. Shantae looks pretty different in each installment afaik, Inklings look a bit different, KKR looks really detailed, etc. etc. Dee would be the same.
He's got that spear, he'd probably do it for a Smashified Live to be honest.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To be honest, I doubt Artsy would do any Kirby character because they all have that bright design thing about them so the character would look basically the exact same. I mean, he could redesign a few things like putting a logo on his bandana or something, but that's about it. But me and my pessimism about things. -shrug-
Didn't stop him from smashifying Inklings, who just look like another piece of official artwork. :p He's going off demand, despite the rules he makes and breaks.

:231:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Artsy Omni's not Sakurai, he's a fan like you and I. He's very susceptible to giving in to demands and potential fanservice as a result. So yeah, if enough people request Bandana Dee and he likes and thinks it'd be good for him and his fans, he'd do it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You realize Omni is a huge fan of the Kirby series, in fact it's one of his favorite franchises, look at how much Kirby fanart he has!

He also made this beautiful sprite of Kirby that I just ADORE!!!!!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You realize Omni is a huge fan of the Kirby series, in fact it's one of his favorite franchises, look at how much Kirby fanart he has!

He also made this beautiful sprite of Kirby that I just ADORE!!!!!
His Kirby hats are better then the real thing. I especially like Paper Kirby, Geno Kirby, and NiGHTS Kirby.

Laniv

Smash Champion
It's been years and I still don't get who's that between Zero and Ridley.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just found out King Dedede can inhale Megavitamins. lol.
Someone needs his medicine. :laugh:

And wow, I didn't know Hex did that Galacta Knight artwork. I used to think it was official.

Well, this only begs the question as to why he hasn't done Bandana Dee already... Who knows though, he may be in the works already.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, this thread does feel like a social thread rather than a Bandana Dee thread sometimes, lol
It's just the way of things. The only potentially relevant thing going on in the immediate future (as in, right this minute, until the end of tomorrow) is what might come out of the Tokyo Toy Show as far as Kirby merchandise goes, and San-Ei's photography ban is scuppering my attempts to find out what their new Kirby merchandise there is. (I had a look at their list of licenses, though, and I couldn't find any properties listed that are likely to be expecting new news that might warrant a photography ban on tie-in goods at the moment, which is certainly interesting...)

Just found out King Dedede can inhale Megavitamins. lol.
When I began learning how to properly play as Dedede, I went into Training Mode just to test out what he can and can't inhale. The result was mad laughter as I found that he can eat almost anything on the battlefield. About the only items he won't eat are living creatures, but inhale can still move some of them around (for example, it can pull Cuccos and Mr. Saturns toward you and then send them hurtling behind you).

I later learned that if you time it right, he can even inhale the eye-beam from that move of Mewtwo's that can make you dizzy. :laugh:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I later learned that if you time it right, he can even inhale the eye-beam from that move of Mewtwo's that can make you dizzy. :laugh:
Disable actually counts as a projectile, so Kirby and Dedede can inhale, Fox and Mario reflect it, and I believe Rosalina can pull it in.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Disable actually counts as a projectile, so Kirby and Dedede can inhale, Fox and Mario reflect it, and I believe Rosalina can pull it in.
Now that's handy knowledge - thanks!

Given that, I wonder if Dedede's neutral-air can absorb it, too, as with several of the energy projectiles? (Not that it's something worth even trying to do, though. :laugh:)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So I had a idea, that may or may not be useful, probably useless, but I'll say it anyway.

Mock Deetractions:

Yes, that's right, I'm proposing we make detractions and objections to our own beloved candidate. Why would anyone ever do that, you ask? The goal here is to make as much detractions as possible and then mock debate them, so we can perfect our arguments against detractions. So if we create say, 5 possible objections, and can shoot down only 3 of them, we'd need to spend more time thinking on how to better defend our candidate. This would serve to help us in the future against actual detractors. This idea can potentially be risky, but I think it would be worth it. What do you fellows think of this? Stupid idea, good idea, meh idea or something else?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now that's handy knowledge - thanks!

Given that, I wonder if Dedede's neutral-air can absorb it, too, as with several of the energy projectiles? (Not that it's something worth even trying to do, though. :laugh:)
No problem. What can I say? I'm a well of knowledge. Feel free to drink.
I doubt that his neutral air could absorb it because Disable isn't energy-based. Pretty much, if Ness can't absorb it, it's not energy, so Dedede would probably just get confused like normal.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So I had a idea, that may or may not be useful, probably useless, but I'll say it anyway.

Mock Deetractions:
Yes, that's right, I'm proposing we make detractions and objections to our own beloved candidate. Why would anyone ever do that, you ask? The goal here is to make as much detractions as possible and then mock debate them, so we can perfect our arguments against detractions. So if we create say, 5 possible objections, and can shoot down only 3 of them, we'd need to spend more time thinking on how to better defend our candidate. This would serve to help us in the future against actual detractors. This idea can potentially be risky, but I think it would be worth it. What do you fellows think of this? Stupid idea, good idea, meh idea or something else?
This is actually a god idea. But along with making up dectractions on our own, it might be easier to pull whatever people say against him.

We can compile it and add it to the OP and the blog too.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Mock Deetractions:
Kind of sounds like an FAQ, in a way.

I'm game, so to contribute something to it, here are some common detractions that I've seen (including everybody's favourite, and probably THE most common, the "Goomba with a stick" quip)...

1: "Bandana Waddle Dee is just a generic enemy with an added hat. Requesting him is like asking for a Goomba to be a playable character!"

2: "Kirby isn't a big, relevant, or hardcore series, so it doesn't deserve another representative in Smash."

3: "What's so special about potentially being the first character that can use a spear? Palutena is Smash's first staff-user, and she's not that interesting, so why would a blob carrying a stick be?"

No problem. What can I say? I'm a well of knowledge. Feel free to drink.
I doubt that his neutral air could absorb it because Disable isn't energy-based. Pretty much, if Ness can't absorb it, it's not energy, so Dedede would probably just get confused like normal.
Hilariously, this makes it sound like Dedede spends his days being puzzled by things. :laugh: (Also, thanks again - I wasn't sure if it was energy-based or not!)

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hilariously, this makes it sound like Dedede spends his days being puzzled by things. :laugh: (Also, thanks again - I wasn't sure if it was energy-based or not!)
Oh wow, it does. Ironically, Dedede is probably the smartest, or one of the smartest, people in Dreamland.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Mock Deetractions:
Very interesting, I think we could see how it'd go. I'd be all up for it.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Kind of sounds like an FAQ, in a way.

I'm game, so to contribute something to it, here are some common detractions that I've seen (including everybody's favourite, and probably THE most common, the "Goomba with a stick" quip)...

1: "Bandana Waddle Dee is just a generic enemy with an added hat. Requesting him is like asking for a Goomba to be a playable character!"

2: "Kirby isn't a big, relevant, or hardcore series, so it doesn't deserve another representative in Smash."

3: "What's so special about potentially being the first character that can use a spear? Palutena is Smash's first staff-user, and she's not that interesting, so why would a blob carrying a stick be?"

Reason 2 and 3 aren't that good. Everyone knows Kirby is one of Nintendo's bigger series and 3 is just I don't find him interesting so basically opinion. I'd go with Kirby doesn't need a 4th rep as a detraction.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Reason 2 and 3 aren't that good. Everyone knows Kirby is one of Nintendo's bigger series and 3 is just I don't find him interesting so basically opinion. I'd go with Kirby doesn't need a 4th rep as a detraction.
I said that they're common detractions, not facts. ;) I've mainly seen them here, actually, hence why they were the ones I chose to list.

I absolutely agree with "Kirby doesn't need a fourth representative!" as another common one that's worth discussing. :smash:

I must point out, though that, amazingly, not everyone knows that Kirby is one of Nintendo's bigger series! In fact, the claim that it isn't very well-known is one of the most common, and incorrect, slurs levelled at the series. It's compounded by the way the press downplays it whilst bigging up much smaller series, leading to a bizarre phenomenon where people don't realise what actually is and isn't better-known (it's the same as how an awful lot of people don't realise that the Wii Fit titles, in the short time they've been around, have outsold the entire Smash series, for example).

:crazy:

... And, now I must go a little bit off-topic, because we have merchandise news from the Tokyo Toy Show!

It turns out that San-Ei's photography ban was on some Pokemon goods - a license which San-Ei did not hold previously, and which was seemingly announced at this show.

Anyway, as far as Kirby goes, there are some new items, including some Waddle Dee ones, though it appears that none of them are of Bandana Waddle Dee, unfortunately. Maybe next time!

Courtesy of Inside-Games.jp, we can see that on show we have what appears to be a new production run for December 2014's Kirby All Star Collection plushes (the in-scale, slightly-smaller-than-life-size set which contains Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, and Chef Kawasaki; to tell you the scale, here, Kirby is 5" and not 8" tall, and Dedede is 10" and not 16" tall - you should be able to figure out the rest of the sizes from that), along with a re-run on the two larger-sized Kirby plushes from that same set.

There are some new Kirby-ability-hat plushes, and some new mascots/keychains (the smallest plushes on the Kirby stand) as well.

Last but not least, they have added Meta Knight and Waddle Dee to the upcoming coin-purse line-up, and to the upcoming giant-sized cushion line-up as well.

These are not yet up for pre-order anywhere, as far as I know, but if anyone wants any of these items, I would suggest keeping an eye on AmiAmi for them, as they're a superb import shop (actually Japan's largest online hobby shop) who usually have better pricing than a lot of others out there.

Even though none of these items are specifically of Bandana Waddle Dee, it IS significant that even a regular Waddle Dee has, as of today, been added to every part of San-Ei's Kirby merchandise line at this point (as well as appearing equally prominently-sized as Kirby and Meta Knight on their promotional banner), as it speaks volumes about the species' popularity as a whole.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Somebody must be kidnapping or eating our Brigade, we've gone from our normal average of like, 14 viewers to 2. Chandy? Rykker? Anybody? I hope they aren't being held hostage by the K. Rools or the Ridleys.

D

Deleted member

does any one think the cloth on his spear will change color each palette or do you fear it will be like :4sonic: and just only the hat in this case changes color while his skin or fur does not.
Oh wow, it does. Ironically, Dedede is probably the smartest, or one of the smartest, people in Dreamland.
Meta Knight is probably the smartest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
does any one think the cloth on his spear will change color each palette or do you fear it will be like :4sonic: and just only the hat in this case changes color while his skin or fur does not.
I'd be surprised if the colour of the flash on the spear was changed, due to the actual purpose it's meant to serve on a real-life spear. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if his bandana is different in each one, and his skin/fur colour is different in a couple, with the latter justified by the fact that a couple of Dedede's alts see him with differently-coloured feathers.

Meta Knight is probably the smartest.
I always figured that they're about equal. The two of them are most definitely the smartest two residents of Dream Land, at any rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom