• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

MetaKobra

Smash Cadet
You guys mostly know about HAL's most recent game, BOXBOY, right?

Well, it was planned to star Kirby as the main character, but Kirby would pretty much look weird unnatural... We've never seen that before, right?

It's a neat little fact, and here's the article if you're curious! :)

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/boxboy-could-have-been-a-kirby-title/

Also, sorry I haven't been as active as I've wanted to be, finals are taking up tons of time... Once summer vacation starts, things will be much much easier and I'll have a lot more time overall!

Last edited:

Chalo5000

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0104-1645-4836
The day amiibo wave 4 and certain restocks open up in retail. Which also means I'll never get a affordable Jigglypuff or Meta Knight (my two mains) :crying:. These things sell ridiculousy fast, the preorders for Greninja went downafter a MINUTE. Yes, a entire minute was all it took. And then the scalpers sell this stuff for like 20$ above suggested price. It's insane.
If it's about the amiibo, don't worry it could be worse
How?
You could be me
It's impossible for me to get any kind of amiibo :drsad:

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
My beautiful and powerful Kirby_Queen you don't REALLY need all 3 meta knight amiibo do you? why don't you email one of them to someone like me......pretty please?
I'm pretty sure she mean't all 3 Kirby characters not 3 Meta Knights, my friend.:p

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Personally I'm not into Splatoon :/

On the topic of music ehh?

Be enslaved by the catchy-ness
1. HOW ARE YOU NOT INTO SPLATOON?!!?! Well I guess you're entitled to you opinion... PLAY IT AT LEAST ONCE ITS AWESOME

2. Why did you take down that video? I liked it!

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
1. HOW ARE YOU NOT INTO SPLATOON?!!?! Well I guess you're entitled to you opinion... PLAY IT AT LEAST ONCE ITS AWESOME

2. Why did you take down that video? I liked it!
1. Played the Global Testfire not my forte ;)
2. I was a bit embarrassed of it XD
3. I will send you my script tommorow (I'm speaking this time) I'd like if you can make me a few jokes (if that's ok)

BTW Looks like Bandanna Dee is winning that Artsy Omni make you feel like a bad artist thing a.k.a. Smashified.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I...i..... I kinda like magolor :/
I like Magolor and I have no problem with his similarities to Marx lol. I'm glad he's a staple character which isn't common with bosses. I like his design too. I think he's really cute.

His boss battle isn't the BEST ever as you can literally avoid him by hanging out at the edges of the screen but I loved elements of it and some of his various attacks. Tbh most Kirby bosses aren't particularly brutal to me so it's not like I'm going to score him less points as a boss for his difficulty because honestly there are equally easy bosses in the franchise with way less interesting design and with way more vacant personalities that don't go beyond "I'm just here to take over" (examples, Dark Nebula, Yin Yarn, Necrodeus)

I mean at least Magolor HAS a personality and obvious talents and interests that are indicated to us in RtDL. He's a mage but beyond being talented with some sorcery is the fact that he's a VERY talented mechanic/technology buff. He particularly has a fascination with technology from the ancients. He's obviously manipulative and underhanded and was bold enough to escape with the Lor Star Cutter which he repaired! His hobbies beyond technology also include theme parks and building them. So he's a game designer of sorts.

What do I know about Dark Matter? Well it's a spooky eyeball that tries and consumes planets. Not sure that it has a personality or is part of a hivemind... and if that hivemind is conscience or merely an energy or aspect of the universe that is merely carrying out it's roll.

So I mean... if people are going to give Magolor grief for being "bland" and "no personality" but love some of these other bosses than... WHATEVER. As far as bosses are concerned he's had the most dialogue and the most happening after the events with Kirby to give him, imo, more personality and fleshing out than the other bosses. Some who straight up are just bad because they are bad things or whatever...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Played the Global Testfire not my forte ;)
2. I was a bit embarrassed of it XD
3. I will send you my script tommorow (I'm speaking this time) I'd like if you can make me a few jokes (if that's ok)

BTW Looks like Bandanna Dee is winning that Artsy Omni make you feel like a bad artist thing a.k.a. Smashified.
IT IS!?! this is are chance brother and sister Bandana waddle dee supporters once Artsy Omni uploads his video on Banndana waddle dee he will final get the love and attention he deservers but some fools comments will say negative things to our lord and savoir Like ugh........"nothing more then a goomba with a bandana" just typing that down makes me sick to my stomach :urg: not only do we have to show the fools why bandana waddle dee deservers to be in smash 4 but also we need to get new recruit to help get bandana waddle dee into smash 4 for DEELC
until that day comes Be Prepared my brother and sister bandana waddle dee supporters Be VERY...Prepared

Burruni

Smash Hero
Kirby "Final Bosses" Interpretation, for me.

:4dedede:: A kind of a rival, more akin to :4bowser: in the RPGs than main series Mario. Someone who holds a bit of animosity if not jealousy against :4kirby: but always willing to work with (or "recruit") them against a bigger foe.

Nightmare: An entity of what would be the massive opposition against the very nature of Dreamland that could transform as what needs fit but with that iconic face could have been a unified idea... kind of like King K. Rool. Sadly, has not been seen since.

Dark Matter -> Zero -> O2: Manifestation of Power-lust within the extended universe of Dreamland as a specific race with a number of ranks and specific commanders, captains, lieutenants, and generals. Was 02 the ultimate leader or one more step up the ladder?

Marx: Hey look how cute I BLAARRGHIWOEFHAWIO!!! A very interesting one-off villain but should be kept as such.

Dark Mind/Dark Nebula: Half-done manifestations of Nightmare and the Dark Matter Kind put together. Underwhelming.

Drawcia: HONESTLY wanted to see a bit done with her kind than just Paintra kinda appearing with no lore to it. Could have been the dark side to Ado/Adeline handled like Dark Matter -> Zero -> 02 with two sisters and then a Mother.

Yin-Yarn: Shouldn't have been a Kirby final boss. Lackluster. One-off.

Necrodeus: OH MAN ANOTHER HANDS + FACE BOSS! A... knock-off of Nightmare in a spinoff game.

Magalor: Was a better done Marx, but didn't really impress me as soon as that twist of him BEING the final boss was done. His actual fights felt really underwhelming. Him coming back in Dream Collection felt forced.

Sectonia: The fact that Tarantula wasn't fought at ALL was... dumb. Sectonia was a legitimately difficult boss with little given to her but was very interesting and would like if... say, her husband managed to be a major boss in another game. (Yes real life bees have one queen and dozens of consorts. But this is DREAMLand after all)

Canvas Curse Final Boss: I haven't gotten there yet. Seems more on the Yin-Yarn side than Drawcia.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4dedede:: A kind of a rival, more akin to :4bowser: in the RPGs than main series Mario. Someone who holds a bit of animosity if not jealousy against :4kirby: but always willing to work with (or "recruit") them against a bigger foe.

Nightmare: An entity of what would be the massive opposition against the very nature of Dreamland that could transform as what needs fit but with that iconic face could have been a unified idea... kind of like King K. Rool. Sadly, has not been seen since.

Dark Matter -> Zero -> O2: Manifestation of Power-lust within the extended universe of Dreamland as a specific race with a number of ranks and specific commanders, captains, lieutenants, and generals. Was 02 the ultimate leader or one more step up the ladder?

Marx: Hey look how cute I BLAARRGHIWOEFHAWIO!!! A very interesting one-off villain but should be kept as such.

Dark Mind/Dark Nebula: Half-done manifestations of Nightmare and the Dark Matter Kind put together. Underwhelming.

Drawcia: HONESTLY wanted to see a bit done with her kind than just Paintra kinda appearing with no lore to it. Could have been the dark side to Ado/Adeline handled like Dark Matter -> Zero -> 02 with two sisters and then a Mother.

Yin-Yarn: Shouldn't have been a Kirby final boss. Lackluster. One-off.

Necrodeus: OH MAN ANOTHER HANDS + FACE BOSS! A... knock-off of Nightmare in a spinoff game.

Magalor: Was a better done Marx, but didn't really impress me as soon as that twist of him BEING the final boss was done. His actual fights felt really underwhelming. Him coming back in Dream Collection felt forced.

Sectonia: The fact that Tarantula wasn't fought at ALL was... dumb. Sectonia was a legitimately difficult boss with little given to her but was very interesting and would like if... say, her husband managed to be a major boss in another game. (Yes real life bees have one queen and dozens of consorts. But this is DREAMLand after all)

Canvas Curse Final Boss: I haven't gotten there yet. Seems more on the Yin-Yarn side than Drawcia.
I'm I the only kirby fan that like yin yarn :(?

Last edited by a moderator:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
@ kirby_queen kirby_queen I'm fine wit your opinion on what I said, but there are a couple of things that I would like to add:
It's not true that I'm not the main audience of Kirby... to be honest, we both are experienced gamers, so neither of us are the main audience of Kirby, since Kirby is mostly aimed to kids and an entry point to the world of gaming.
I remember an interviews I read years ago, where someone from HAL or Nintendo (I can't remember) said that Kirby is the most "flexible" IP of Nintendo, that you can do every kind of game with it. I think that the spin-offs of Kirby are as much important as the "main" games, that are main just because are based on the original gameplay, but they are just as important as the spin-offs.
The difference is that with the spin-offs, they usually try to innovate, while with the main games, they try to please the fans; Rainbow Curse is an exception, since it's a sequel to another spin-off and it doesn't add much to the concept (it removes things if anything - I still like it but I prefer Canvas Curse by far).

Anyway, by nonsense personality (refered to Magolor) i don't mean that he has no personality, I mean that he has a personality that feels very unnatural and not coherent with himself.

MetaKobra

Smash Cadet

:4dedede:: A kind of a fat penguin, more Masahiro Samurai to :4bowser: in the RPGs than main series Starfy. Someone who holds a bit of popcorn if not buttered popcorn against :4kirby: but always willing to work with (or "recruit") spicy popcorn against a bigger bowl.

Nightmare: An entity of what would be the massive spinning turd against the very nature of nature that could transform nature as what needs fit nature, but with that iconic face named nature could have been a unified nature idea... Nature. Kind of like King K. Rool. Sadly, has not been in the gym since.

Yes, I've edited this entire quote for humor! :)

Dark Matter -> Does it Matter -> What's the Matter?: Manifestation of lust within the expanded dong in the woods of Dreamland as a specific bean with a number of bean cans and specific: beans, chipotle beans, hot beans, and hot diggity beans. Was chipotle beans the ultimate leader or one more step up the ladder?

Marx: Hey look how cute Magalar looks!!! A very interesting abdomen and should be kept as such.

Chicken: Half-cooked chicken of Nightmare and the pink stuff you find sometimes in your cheeseburger put together. Underwhelming.

Drawcia: HONESTLY wanted to see a bit more crayons than just colored markers, kinda underwhelming without the smell of sharpies. Could have used colored pencils with two sisters and then a Mother.

Yin-Yarn: The most creative Kirby final boss. Absolutely Amazing. Eager to appear multiple times per play session to greet you with his majestic creativity and strings.

Necrodeus: Magalar's fourteenth cousin... In law. A knock-off of his 783's cousin in a hotel room on the third floor to the right in the corner where the vending machine full of Magalarar's clothes used to be.

Magalor: @Chalo5000 :troll: Was a better done chicken, but really impresses me as soon as that twist of hot sauce was added BEING the final boss was done. His actual fights felt really Magalar. Him coming back in Dream Collection felt Magalar.

Sectonia: The fact that Magalar wasn't fought at ALL was... dumb. Sectonia was a legitimately legitimate boss with little legitimacy given to her but was very legitimate and would like if... say, page 387 managed to be a major boss in another game. (Yes real life bees have knees and dozens of dongs. But this is DREAMLand after all)

Canvas Curse Final Boss: I haven't gotten there yet. Seems more on the Magalar side than Magalar.
I was actually wondering if I should do something like this, but looks like you've got it pretty much covered! :)

I wonder what the beta-version (earlier/earliest versions) for these bosses appeared as... Especially how Magolor's final form came to be (As well as Marx's design in the early days)?

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was actually wondering if I should do something like this, but looks like you've got it pretty much covered! :)

I wonder what the beta-version (earlier/earliest versions) for these bosses appeared as... Especially how Magolor's final form came to be (As well as Marx's design in the early days)?
Magolor's beta design was awesome, I like it very much, too bad that it was scrapped -.-

Anyway, for a new final boss, I'd like to see something music based (i don't know... a wizard who plays a requiem and curses the lands of Dreamland...) and maybe 2 final bosses, somethink like the Lololo&Lalala or Mr Bright and Mr Shine concept, applied to a final boss.

MetaKobra

Smash Cadet
Magolor's beta design was awesome, I like it very much, too bad that it was scrapped -.-
Huh, I've sworn I have seen that concept before... But man does it look pure awesome and full of intimidation. (I could see why they didn't go with this right off the bat, sadly)

A decent amount of people know of Meta Knight's beta design,,, (I think)? But here it is anyways for those who don't know! (Meta Knight's beta design is often referred to as "Beta Knight")

More coolio examples down below:

This is personally one of my favorite beta designs in video games. :p (I just wish they kept the horns and mask, but replaced the butterfly wings with his set bat wings according to color).

(Credit to TheEternalFlame for picture on the right)

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
@ kirby_queen kirby_queen I'm fine wit your opinion on what I said, but there are a couple of things that I would like to add:
It's not true that I'm not the main audience of Kirby... to be honest, we both are experienced gamers, so neither of us are the main audience of Kirby, since Kirby is mostly aimed to kids and an entry point to the world of gaming.
I remember an interviews I read years ago, where someone from HAL or Nintendo (I can't remember) said that Kirby is the most "flexible" IP of Nintendo, that you can do every kind of game with it. I think that the spin-offs of Kirby are as much important as the "main" games, that are main just because are based on the original gameplay, but they are just as important as the spin-offs.
The difference is that with the spin-offs, they usually try to innovate, while with the main games, they try to please the fans; Rainbow Curse is an exception, since it's a sequel to another spin-off and it doesn't add much to the concept (it removes things if anything - I still like it but I prefer Canvas Curse by far).

Anyway, by nonsense personality (refered to Magolor) i don't mean that he has no personality, I mean that he has a personality that feels very unnatural and not coherent with himself.
I never said that the spin offs aren't Kirby games. I'm talking simply about Kirby's utmost identity being upheld. Those are the games I prefer. HAL can say that Rainbow Curse is a True Kirby game all they want and place it as canon and that's fine. I wouldn't be arguing against it's place in the whole of the franchise or timeline but they'd be kidding themselves on selling it as Kirby game that actually evolves on Kirby's most iconic identity persona and main ability. It does nothing on it and honestly I see them as a way out from their struggle with evolving him.

I'm still part of that target audience even as an advanced gamer because entry level platforming done right still appeals to me. I enjoy some brutal games but having something whose difficulty is more relaxing yet with a design open enough for me to find more challenge when I want it, is what I also enjoy about the games.

The idea of Magolor's personality feeling unnatural is a subjective opinion. There's nothing unnatural about a character established by a director whose been behind the franchise for years now as the most stable director. He is who he is. A double crossing mechanical genius who has stuck around to continue building, Often behind elaborate and interesting level design such as the Dedede Drum Dash rhythm game and the power room challenges. Perhaps even symbolic of the director or hal developers themselves. It's not shocking to see why HAL would bring him back in this case.

Also I don't see why every Kirby game has to be a major entry into gameplay innovation when that sort of demand isn't made on the other icons. I'm not saying experimental and unique gameplay is something that HAL shouldn't achieve or strive for but why not make new IPS of it when Nintendo needs them. Than those IPs can further evolve on that new and unique gameplay style? Instead of stalling Kirby's development. Thanks to stability and years of traditional entires, franchises like Mario have been able to evolve on what makes Mario the icon we know him as while still innovating and polishing the very gameplay we know him for. Galaxy was so brilliant and so impressive. Mario didn't have to lose the ability to stomp enemies and traditionally platform to get to that heck of a milestone. That game went on to be game of the decade and be one of the main reasons to own a Wii. While Kirby hasn't had the same attention to detail and polish and people are more than happy with continued diversions from that goal.

Box Boy was yet another attempt at a spin off Kirby game which would have annoyed the heck out of me as a Kirby game but luckily they let HAL actually make a new IP outside of Kirby and it paid off. As a new IP, I'm excited for Box Boy and can now see HAL making sequels and changes to this new IP. Something they are more restricted with spin off Kirby games when they try to make new ideas but than just stick Kirby in it to sell the title more. Especially when long time fans have expectations when they go and buy a Kirby game. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't do this.

Also a game like Rainbow Curse probably would have worked better if it were a downloadable eShop title much like BoxBoy as many people felt it should have been cheap since the idea is no longer novel and people made comparisons to mobile gaming titles. I bet having it be an eShop title would have helped it sell even more.

Last edited:

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
*FLAME SHIELD UP*
I believe in 2 Dark Matter theories

Dark Nebula being a weaker form of Dark Matter

and

Magolor Soul I don't think there is a reason for then to have a huge eye there plus "A sad shell..." im too lazy to paraphrase.... sounded like possession to me.

Inb4 Someone calls me stupid or all dark matter theories stupid.

Burruni

Smash Hero
People want a following of the Dark Matter species?
People want a musical villain?

I BRING TO YOU.

O2 JOY!

skip to 3:35 for his actual fight

D

Deleted member

*FLAME SHIELD UP*
I believe in 2 Dark Matter theories

Dark Nebula being a weaker form of Dark Matter

and

Magolor Soul I don't think there is a reason for then to have a huge eye there plus "A sad shell..." im too lazy to paraphrase.... sounded like possession to me.

Inb4 Someone calls me stupid or all dark matter theories stupid.
GhostlyLure you are not stupid you are a very intelligent person and I respect you very much like I do everyone on this threads but I said it before and I'll say it again all dark matter theory are force maybe if the people making the dark matter theory actually put in the effort like matpat from game theory then I (and many others) would't have that much of a problem but no instead they see a new villain with "dark" in there name or huge a "eye ball" they all go "it dark matter!,it dark matter!,it dark matter! zero three confirmed!!!" something like that so if you and other believe in some of the dark matter theory that fine and all but it just not for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Huh, I've sworn I have seen that concept before... But man does it look pure awesome and full of intimidation. (I could see why they didn't go with this right off the bat, sadly)

A decent amount of people know of Meta Knight's beta design,,, (I think)? But here it is anyways for those who don't know! (Meta Knight's beta design is often referred to as "Beta Knight")

This is personally one of my favorite beta designs in video games. :p (I just wish they kept the horns and mask, but replaced the butterfly wings with his set bat wings according to color).

(Credit to TheEternalFlame for the last picture)
What if they brought back this beta desighn, and what if it, Meta Knight, and Galactica Knight were forced to fight along side each other? It'd also be a sort of trinity, with the Bird (Galactica Knight), Bat (Meta Knight), and Butterfly ("Beta Knight").
I don't want to start a conspiracy, but don't you think Beta Knight matches Queen Sectonia's flower/bug/fancy theme perfectly? And Galactica Knight fits Magolor's space theme?

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I've been working on a theory about the Mirror world in Kirby. It goes something like this.

In Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, we are introduced to Mirror world counterparts of the main characters (aside from Dedede, but we'll get to him later.) Bandana Dee actually does have a mirror world counterpart, fought in the boss rush mode. Here, we find another arena type waddle dee, more durability than the average one, but the same abilities. In the mirror world, Bandana Dee's counterpart never pushes and strives to break the norm of a Waddle Dee. Why? Dedede is no more in the mirror world. Let's back up a bit. Shadow Kirby throughout the game fights the 4 Kirby's, until the end where it's revealed that he's just trying to protect his world. Also, Meta Knights mirror world counter part (Dark Meta Knight), seems to be the main villain. Why is it we see Dark Meta Knight but no mirror Dedede. We can assume that Carrot Castle is mirror Castle Dedede, but we instead fight a robot that has similar appearances to Meta Knight (titan head). Why? In the mirror world, Shadow Kirby failed to stop Dark Meta Knight in Revenge of the Meta Knight. Hence, Dark Meta Knight overthrew Dedede, and killed him. This can explain the lack of pupils in Shadow Dedede that we later see from Triple Deluxe, that he is a lifeless shell now used by Dark Meta Knight, who is fought by King Dedede right afterward. Anyways, back in the Amazing Mirror, Dark Mind might be a mirror world version of Zero (the final phase appears to be a giant eye), and, because of Dark Meta Knight's success in taking over the Mirror world, Dark Meta Knight becomes more evil than anti-heroic, and thus teams up with this mirror Zero.

Just something I've been thinking of. So, what do you guys think. This seemed like the best place to share this. Sorry for just interrupting the current conversation though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I guess we could see Drawcia in the next Kirby game, concidering the end of Rainbow Curse has her appear.

D

Deleted member

Guys do you think Kirby series should have a crossover with the NiGHTS series?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Guys do you think Kirby series should have a crossover with the NiGHTS series?
While they share a bit of themes, they really don't have anything similar in gameplay.
And the NiGHTS series is one with.... two games. I'm not exactly sure if that's a very viable crossover.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Say do you all have any idea of a new Kirby villain you want to see?

I like the idea of Kirby going up against some sort of robot/supercomputer-type deal (Think Brainiac from Superman and you'll get the idea) that makes evil robot copies of the residents of Dreamland. It could have a robot copy of Kirby called "KR-B" as its main minion, and maybe robot versions of Meta Knight and Dedede.

I just have a thing for robot/evil A.I themed villains, and seeing one in a Kirby game would feel like an interesting contrast to all the mind-breaking horrors Kirby has as his rogues gallery

D

Deleted member

While they share a bit of themes, they really don't have anything similar in gameplay.
And the NiGHTS series is one with.... two games. I'm not exactly sure if that's a very viable crossover.
I'm sure HAL and sega..........(mostly HAL) well find a way to make the gameplay work after all Kirby has been nintendo guinea pig for years so much so that now there are less main title kirby games and more spin off kirby games and yes night only had two games but sonic boom has 1 and for some odd reason it having a crossover comic with the mega man x series

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm sure HAL and sega..........(mostly HAL) well find a way to make the gameplay work after all Kirby has been nintendo guinea pig for years so much so that now there are less main title kirby games and more spin off kirby games and yes night only had two games but sonic boom has 1 and for some odd reason it having a crossover comic with the mega man x series

That's because the Archie Comics have had crossovers multiple times in the past and Boom is Spin-Off from Sonic that is continuing the Worlds Unite thing that Megaman & Sonic had been doing in their comics.
It's like seeing a Super Mario Sunshine thing in a Mario comic.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Is that a vein in the boomerang? XD

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I never said that the spin offs aren't Kirby games. I'm talking simply about Kirby's utmost identity being upheld. Those are the games I prefer. HAL can say that Rainbow Curse is a True Kirby game all they want and place it as canon and that's fine. I wouldn't be arguing against it's place in the whole of the franchise or timeline but they'd be kidding themselves on selling it as Kirby game that actually evolves on Kirby's most iconic identity persona and main ability. It does nothing on it and honestly I see them as a way out from their struggle with evolving him.

I'm still part of that target audience even as an advanced gamer because entry level platforming done right still appeals to me. I enjoy some brutal games but having something whose difficulty is more relaxing yet with a design open enough for me to find more challenge when I want it, is what I also enjoy about the games.

The idea of Magolor's personality feeling unnatural is a subjective opinion. There's nothing unnatural about a character established by a director whose been behind the franchise for years now as the most stable director. He is who he is. A double crossing mechanical genius who has stuck around to continue building, Often behind elaborate and interesting level design such as the Dedede Drum Dash rhythm game and the power room challenges. Perhaps even symbolic of the director or hal developers themselves. It's not shocking to see why HAL would bring him back in this case.

Also I don't see why every Kirby game has to be a major entry into gameplay innovation when that sort of demand isn't made on the other icons. I'm not saying experimental and unique gameplay is something that HAL shouldn't achieve or strive for but why not make new IPS of it when Nintendo needs them. Than those IPs can further evolve on that new and unique gameplay style? Instead of stalling Kirby's development. Thanks to stability and years of traditional entires, franchises like Mario have been able to evolve on what makes Mario the icon we know him as while still innovating and polishing the very gameplay we know him for. Galaxy was so brilliant and so impressive. Mario didn't have to lose the ability to stomp enemies and traditionally platform to get to that heck of a milestone. That game went on to be game of the decade and be one of the main reasons to own a Wii. While Kirby hasn't had the same attention to detail and polish and people are more than happy with continued diversions from that goal.

Box Boy was yet another attempt at a spin off Kirby game which would have annoyed the heck out of me as a Kirby game but luckily they let HAL actually make a new IP outside of Kirby and it paid off. As a new IP, I'm excited for Box Boy and can now see HAL making sequels and changes to this new IP. Something they are more restricted with spin off Kirby games when they try to make new ideas but than just stick Kirby in it to sell the title more. Especially when long time fans have expectations when they go and buy a Kirby game. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't do this.

Also a game like Rainbow Curse probably would have worked better if it were a downloadable eShop title much like BoxBoy as many people felt it should have been cheap since the idea is no longer novel and people made comparisons to mobile gaming titles. I bet having it be an eShop title would have helped it sell even more.
I don't think spin-offs of Kirby are meant to "evolve" Kirby, they are meant to innovate the platforming genre I think. One of the biggest part of the appeal of Kirby to me is this trend to innovate the platforming genre (I still think that Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble is one of the most ingenious games ever). 2D platforming is my favorite genre of videogames, and today Kirby is the only IP that tries to do something new with that, if you exclude some obscure indy games.
I appreciate attempts like Boxboy too, I haven't played it yet but I will sooner or later.
My only problem with Boxboy is that, it has a cool innovative gameplay concept, but it also removes lots of those aspects that make Kirby so awesome, like music, visuals, depth, world development etc. or at least so it looks on my first impression, and this may change since I haven't played it yet. But yeah, I'm fine with new IPs as long as they make them as good as the classic ones, with attention to little details (a thing that Boxboy, sadly, seems to lack of, taking inspiration from indy games like vvvvvv that are very simple and focus on just the core of the gameplay).
But one of the most iconic traits of the Kirby series is having spin-offs that use creative gameplay ideas, so I don't see the issue if they use the Kirby IP doing that; again, this is one of the reasons why I love Kirby, I'd be disappointed if they transform it into another New Super Mario Bros like series.

To conclude this, I want to state that I said I usually prefer the spin-offs because have original gameplay ideas, but this doesn't mean that I don't like the traditional games, I just prefer innovation over nostalgia.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's because the Archie Comics have had crossovers multiple times in the past and Boom is SPIN-OFF FROM SONIC that is continuing the Worlds Unite thing that Megaman & Sonic had been doing in their comics.
It's like seeing a Super Mario Sunshine thing in a Mario comic.
Well.....I.....you see.......I got nothing :c.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well.....I.....you see.......I got nothing :c.
Nah, you just didn't know. I was just stressing that it was a continuation of something present instead of starting up something new.
Expect little and allow yourself to be surprised. Also please end your spoiler tags with bracket-slash "Spoiler"-bracket
so when someone quotes you, their entire reply isn't in a spoilerbox

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, you just didn't know. I was just stressing that it was a continuation of something present instead of starting up something new.
Expect little and allow yourself to be surprised. Also please end your spoiler tags with bracket-slash "Spoiler"-bracket
sorry I just didn't want to spoiler the people that are interested in reading that cross over is all I can go back and edit out the toggle spoiler if you want.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So that's why one of my posts was in a spoiler box and I couldn't fix it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
sorry I just didn't want to spoiler the people that are interested in reading that cross over is all I can go back and edit out the toggle spoiler if you want.
No no, I mean, you start a spoiler tag with ( spoiler ) but with brackets. You need to close them at the end of your posts with ( /spoiler ) because otherwise, when someone tries to respond, their entire comment is in a spoiler box unless they edit it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom