• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee, Krystal and Palutena can co-exist.
I really doubt that will happen, but we don't need to be bad with the other characters.
We don't need enemies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yes, she uses a staff.

Although I fail to see the similarities between a magic staff and a spear.
If anything, Palutena threatens KRYSTAL, not Bandana Dee.
Like, at all.
Like I said before, some people compare this three characters because they are "stick users" XD ,but you are right, they are completely different.

Well, I couldn't care less about Palutena or Krystal and this is the Bandana Dee thread, so... yeah.

LF2K

Floor Diver
There should be an Event Match where King Dedede and Bandana Dee fight Palutena and Pit. :p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Here's an interesting tidbit. In the Dream Collection Celebration book , there's a page devoted to "The
Wide World of Waddle Dee". It mentions how Waddle Dee has become one of the most beloved Kirby characters.

But what's really interesting is the page never says "Waddle Dees" or "they". It's all singular. The page also has an art collection showing his appearance over the years. Including this one:

The last piece of art is of Bandana Dee. Does this confirm he's been the same friendly Dee all this time ?
So...what about this? XD
Where did you find this information?

LF2K

Floor Diver
Heh, sorry. But let's face it, Krystal's supporters can be very... devot. :p

Anyway, I found this information in the Celebration Book that came with Kirby's Dream Collection. He's a picture of that said page. It's pretty big, so I had to spoiler it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Heh, sorry. But let's face it, Krystal's supporters can be very... devot. :p

Anyway, I found this information in the Celebration Book that came with Kirby's Dream Collection. He's a picture of that said page. It's pretty big, so I had to spoiler it.
I've got that book too.
Bandana Dee is not on the cover, so that's not good.

LF2K

Floor Diver
But he does take center stage on a page.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
That raises a question. Would Bandana Dee be one of Sakurai's character? Because Bandana Dee became prominent after he left HAL.

But I guess Bandana Dee could be his adopted step child. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, he was in kirby super star, and it can be argued that he was in Kirby 64. Not sure if Sakuri worked on super star ultra though, that was his first big appearance.

D

Deleted member

Well, he was in kirby super star, and it can be argued that he was in Kirby 64. Not sure if Sakuri worked on super star ultra though, that was his first big appearance.
According to Wikipedia, he had no involvement in the development of KSSU. He helped create it, but he wasn't involved with the project.
While Bandana Dee is arguably in Kirby 64, Sakurai also played no role in the development in that game other than to give King Dedede a voice.

D

Deleted member

The "Sakurai character" thing again?

Sakurai created Waddle Dees in general.
He created the Bandana Waddle Dee in Super Star.
Ergo, Bandana Waddle Dee is his character.

BWD being more prominent than just a minor opponent in a minigame may not be Sakurai's doing, but it's still his character.
Just like how Meta Knight, his favorite creation, didn't get nearly as prominent as Kirby and Dedede until shortly after he left.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just like how Meta Knight, his favorite creation, didn't get nearly as prominent as Kirby and Dedede until shortly after he left.
Is Meta Knight really Sakurai's favorite creation? Can't say I disagree with that, but I would have thought it would be Dedede if any, it seems like he has tons of fun doing stuff with him judging from the recent pictures.

D

Deleted member

Is Meta Knight really Sakurai's favorite creation? Can't say I disagree with that, but I would have thought it would be Dedede if any, it seems like he has tons of fun doing stuff with him judging from the recent pictures.
Huh.
I remember reading statements that Meta Knight was his favorite, but now I can't find any.....

Ah well, guess it's just another unconfirmed rumor/fan theory.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Is that really important whether Sakurai specifically created Bandana Waddle Dee if he's the one who created the series and the species anyway ?

Waddle Dee seems to have all the tools to make it in. He had interesting potential, is a likeable character (are there really many people who hate his guts ? I would find that very hard to swallow), he seems to be next in line for his franchise, he has support as far as I know and he isn't an obscure character.

Of course... There's always the Miiverse community, but most of the people there seem to be short on a few braincells. I went there yesterday just to have a good laugh, but it was more sad than funny, honestly.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like Sakurai could definitely put in Waddle Dee.
It may be his last Smash, so it's possible that he wants to add more characters that he has ties to.
Like Waddle Dee or Palutena.

D

Deleted member

He has more ties to the likes of Hades and Dark Pit though, since he actually made them. :troll:

D

Deleted member

He has more ties to the likes of Hades and Dark Pit though, since he actually made them. :troll:
I would be so hyped if Hades was playable.

I doubt this will be the last Smash, unless he dumps Smash like he did Kirby.
It could happen. Though, someone else will definitely pick up what Sakurai left off. It's one of Nintendo's best system sellers, I doubt that they would abandon the series.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know why, but for some reason Waddle Dee reminds me of Gunter from Adventure Time.
I guess it's because they share a similar role.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yes, she uses a staff.

Although I fail to see the similarities between a magic staff and a spear.
If anything, Palutena threatens KRYSTAL, not Bandana Dee.
Like, at all.
hate to be that guy.....

But that's a light magic scepter. big difference. scepter's are often seen with beings of high power, kings/queen's goddesses, makes sense.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Bandana Dee's biggest competitor would be Prince Fluff. And let's face it, the Kirby games probably won't get 5 characters. Hell, we're lucky if we do get 4 in the end.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Bandana Dee's biggest competitor would be Prince Fluff. And let's face it, the Kirby games probably won't get 5 characters. Hell, we're lucky if we do get 4 in the end.
Bandanna dee has no competitors, unless you count knuckle joe(and he isn't even pushed by HAL, so his chance is very minimal). price fluff is a one off, do we really need another epic yarn? No.

The only way he's not in is if sakurai says no, or if somehow he goes yeah you'll be in DDD's moveset instead of gordo.

D

Deleted member

Prince Fluff would have to get lucky to get added in SSB4. There is no chance in hell that he would get added in over Bandana Dee. In order for Prince Fluff to get in, Bandana Dee would have to get in first.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Bandana Dee was added for the simple fact that Kirby is becoming a more popular series, thus a 4th character to me is not out of question. It could happen. Even if he doesn't get in this game as a playable character or if he isn't a part of Waddle Dee Toss, then he would be one of the most likely for SSB5 or he could be a potential candidate for DLC.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The only way I can see Prince Fluff getting in is if he's in the new "Yarn Yoshi" game too. If he is, then he could be considered more of a "Yarn" character than a Kirby character.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have been contemplating Bandanna Dee's possibilities, it is fairly unanimous that Waddle Dee is considered the next likely addition above all other Kirby characters. As such, his chances truly do linger in Sakurai's hands (as do all characters, obviously). However, I truly believe that Sakurai is going to spend an extended period of time weighing Waddle Dee's chances. It is his own character, and as someone else mentioned, it could easily be his last Smash (in which case, adding a personal character seems apparent). Many speculators may erroneously dismiss the notion of Waddle Dee as Kirby is arbitrarily "complete", this is an easy character to disregard as he is interpreted as quite the generic character. His correlations to generic Waddle Dee are overt, and the general player-base associates him as that grunt-esque character that wouldn't offer much diversity. Toad is the Mario equivalent, and we have all seen what happened in the specific instance. So I was discussing his chances with my sister, she doesn't really care about Bandanna Dee one way or another, it was her unrefined opinion that gave me a good idea of what the common Smasher would think about him. He is obviously unique as he wields a weapon that is non-existent in Smash (if I recall correctly) and Sakurai would feel very comfortable giving him a move-set that isn't congruent with his actual abilities as it is his own creation. So Bandanna Dee has huge potential, he is really a wild-care, I highly doubt his spear will be the only thing going for him. This is Sakurai's baby, but he would probably not want to force his ideals on us to a great extent, he might take the more passive approach and continue to be modest. That is irrelevant though. What is important is that he is contributing a great portion of his time in Waddle Dee whether people like to admit it or not. This will be one of his bigger character decisions. He will need to decide whether Waddle Dee is excessive, or warranted and fun. I guarantee that he is putting a great effort into deciding his fate. His chances are more significant than most give him credit for. On that same note, he is not nearly as obvious as many of us wish to assert. Lets be realistic, the game doesn't need Waddle Dee for Sakurai to have fun with is own creations, it doesn't need Waddle Dee to make the Kirby roster more cohesive, and ultimately it doesn't need Waddle Dee for his unique potential in regards to his spear. It isn't enough unless Sakurai commits to making him different. /rant without proper paragraphs.

Edit: I am tired as hell, so if that was incoherent babbling, just ignore it. Haha.

The main point is that Sakurai is going to dedicate a lot of time into determining Waddle Dee's viability, more than many initially speculate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who thinks the next most likely Kirby character after Bandana Dee is Gooey?

Not like it matters. We're getting 4 Kirby characters at most. If that's the case it's going to be the bandana'd one.

Here's a question: If this IS Sakurai's last Smash game and BWD fails to get in for whatever reason, how would you rate Bandana Dee's chances for the next game?
Do you think he has a greater chance due to Sakurai's modesty not getting in the way, or do you think his connection to Sakurai is one of his greatest strengths?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Am I the only one who thinks the next most likely Kirby character after Bandana Dee is Gooey?

Not like it matters. We're getting 4 Kirby characters at most. If that's the case it's going to be the bandana'd one.

Here's a question: If this IS Sakurai's last Smash game and BWD fails to get in for whatever reason, how would you rate Bandana Dee's chances for the next game?
Do you think he has a greater chance due to Sakurai's modesty not getting in the way, or do you think his connection to Sakurai is one of his greatest strengths?
I dunno. Probably the former.
Also, since Toad and Dee are joining forces, there is someone else I would like to have join here. P.S. Balloons.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
depends on one factor, if we see what happens with the waddle dee toss, if he is shown on it, then we would have another toad situation on our hands here, if it doesn't happens, then I think It will all depend on his fan support, if it keeps up like last time, then he'll probably remain the same

Top Bottom