• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I dunno if Lor would be in Another Dimension, as Halberd already has the ship theme...
That may be true, but you wouldn't be able to ride in/near the Lor like the Halberd. It wouldn't be there for the entire stage either, it would just appear from time to time.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
For the 3DS Stage, I would like the Squeak's Hideout (that little castle that you can go in when the Squeaks appear for dat treasure) from Squeak Squad. You could have the 3 Main Squeakers--Spinni, Storo and Doc--walking in the background, and Daroach coming in as a stage hazard (not a boss, because we're not sure if those are on the 3DS yet) and shooting ice magic.
...What, you thought KRTD and Triple Deluxe would be my stage choices? Nah, I'ma be Sakurai 2.0 right now.

LF2K

Floor Diver
We know Green Greens is one of the songs used. Maybe Cookie Country or Fantasy Meadows?

Maikou

Smash Ace
For the 3DS Stage, I would like the Squeak's Hideout (that little castle that you can go in when the Squeaks appear for dat treasure) from Squeak Squad. You could have the 3 Main Squeakers--Spinni, Storo and Doc--walking in the background, and Daroach coming in as a stage hazard (not a boss, because we're not sure if those are on the 3DS yet) and shooting ice magic.
...What, you thought KRTD and Triple Deluxe would be my stage choices? Nah, I'ma be Sakurai 2.0 right now.
Dark Emperor's Tower. This Pic:

"Pic of the day. Just like in the original game, the Dark Emperor can cause status changes based on a fighter's color."
Is it directly stated that Stage Bosses are unique to the Wii U? No. Therefore it is extremely likely that the 3DS version also has stage bosses, the Dark Emperor here very likely being one. Besides that fact, why stress such a feature in something like a direct if it's not on both versions? Sakurai would've said somehing if it wasn't going to be on the handheld version.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
SCREAMING FOR THE DEE. THE KIDS WANT HIM. THE SMASHBOARDS WANT HIM. THE 4CHIN WANTS HIM. BARACK OBAMA WANTS THE DEE!

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Gods Bandana is so likely now guys :p he has about the same amount evidence going for him that Robin had.
What's the evidence? I wouldn't say he's "so likely" as he is just "likely". The DDD move only throwing Gordos doesn't count because the same WD's are in Smash Run and it could've just been to remove the random factor of moves.

IronFish

Smash Ace
What's the evidence? I wouldn't say he's "so likely" as he is just "likely". The DDD move only throwing Gordos doesn't count because the same WD's are in Smash Run and it could've just been to remove the random factor of moves.
Well that's comparable to lack of Palutena in Pit's FS

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
honestly, he has more of a chance than robin ever did. Am I wrong?
I would say no, but the only reason is that Robin had big competition with Chrom. However Bandana Dee has no competition, and really only depends on whether Sakurai wants another Kirby rep.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I can't believe I barely found this thread. But yeah, I fully support Bandana Waddle Dee, he would be amazing and hey, if Fire Emblem can get four reps, Kirby can too :190:.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
the gordos do count. ROB was still in subspace, Palutena is a statue, and Toon link is on the spirit tracks. No character that is playable is in a characters moveset, but they can show up otherwise. Sakurai created kirby, so I'm sure he wants some more rep, but I may be wrong. Waddle Dee plays a big part in two games, and in the newest kirby game coming out. Bandana Dee is one of the big four characters, and he is a main character. For more info, please fully analyze the OP :D

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Ever since we've been calling him Bandana Dee, I always wondered....isn't it weird that Bandana Dee's name is spelled wrong? Shouldn't it be Bandanna Dee?

Last edited:

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
I would say that the Gordo Toss is bigger as a buff then Smash Run Waddle Dees as a nerf to BD's chances. Complete change in a characters move set > an enemy in a mode available to one game. They removed the waddle dees who are King Dedede's most trusted and faithful servants to Gordos who have no role with D3 whatsoever. Plus, I think waddle dees HAD to be an enemy. They are the most iconic enemy in the Kirby franchise after all. It's like not having goombas or koopas.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Huh, your right. Just dumb Google Autocorrect always says it isn't spelled right and it always bugged me.
Fun fact: if you right click an underlined word you can then click add to dictionary and that word will never be concitered incorrect again. (unless you are on a tablet/phone)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It's weird how some people say the Gordo Toss replaced the Waddle Dee Toss because Dedede needed some buffs.
The Gordo Toss looks pretty bad because you can reflect the Gordos with every attack, even Tilts XD

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It's weird how some people say the Gordo Toss replaced the Waddle Dee Toss because Dedede needed some buffs.
The Gordo Toss looks pretty bad because you can reflect the Gordos with every attack, even Tilts XD
Something about the Gordo Toss-Bandana Dee debate.

If Peach didn't have Toad in her neutral B, everyone would be going nuts saying he is confirmed. But it is different with King Dedede and his Waddle Dees.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Something about the Gordo Toss-Bandana Dee debate.

If Peach didn't have Toad in her neutral B, everyone would be going nuts saying he is confirmed. But it is different with King Dedede and his Waddle Dees.
.....But Bandanna Dee is a non-mookish Waddle Dee character. He has more importance than normal mooks, like Goombella. It also helps that Bandanna Dee has been a main stay since he was introduced in Kirby Super Star Ultra with a playable role in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and a supportive role in Kirby's Triple Deluxe.

Bandanna Dee is not really effected by Waddle Dess in Smash Run, since he is not them and serves greater purpose.

Edit: Wait....I think you were arguing in favor of Bandanna Dee.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't believe I barely found this thread. But yeah, I fully support Bandana Waddle Dee, he would be amazing and hey, if Fire Emblem can get four reps, Kirby can too :190:.
That's exactly what I thought! :awesome:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I really feel like Bandana Dee has a good chance now, better than he has had the last few weeks,
it's a little extreme but part of me thinks that the August Nintendo Direct is going to include multiple trailers revealing newcomers and veterans
eg: Show Rainbow Curse trailer, then immediately after cut to a smash trailer revealing Bandana Dee and Meta knight, show new Zelda wii u trailer, then another smash trailer revealing Gannondorf and maybe Takamaru, show Mario maker trailer, then another smash trailer featuring Wario and Dixie(?), announce some new dlc silhouettes for Chibi Robo lets go photo, Smash trailer with Chibi fighting R.O.B, new Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire trailer, Mewtwo Smash trailer, Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer, Shulk Smash Trailer. or something like that.
that's probably just wishful thinking since Sakurai said we're almost out of new videos. but since we're also running out of time before release I'm partially expecting something like this,
alternatively we could just get a Smash Bros Direct next month and it'll reveal all the vets and maybe 2 or 3 new comers

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So, this is what Sakurai said in the Famitsu interview:

We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.
"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.
Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes.
After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Sakurai just said that Chrom was not added because he was a generic sword user and he wants characters who can bring something new and unique to the game...like Bandana Dee, he adds a new style with his spear AND also captures the essence of the Kirby series, specially the last Kirby games, just like Rosalina with the new Mario games.

Top Bottom