• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Without question I will be getting all the DLC but im going to go with a more conservative choice and say 3 unique characters and a hand full of echoes. This game is much bigger than the last it's going to be a bit much if we don't consider some of the limitations . But that's just my take on it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Without question I will be getting all the DLC but im going to go with a more conservative choice and say 3 unique characters and a hand full of echoes. This game is much bigger than the last it's going to be a bit much if we don't consider some of the limitations . But that's just my take on it.
even if its nothing but characters that you dont like?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Lets gets some discussion going.

How many DLC characters do you guys think we'll be getting? Do you think many of them will be third parties? With no veterans left to use as DLC there will probably be a ton of room for first party newcomers unlike last time
I'd guess 5, maybe 6. We got 7 in Smash 4, but three of those were veterans, and two of those veterans were semi-clones. Assuming that they take the same amount of time to work on Smash Ultimate's DLC as they did for Smash 4, I figure we'll get a similar number of characters. (this isn't counting Echoes, who would take much less effort)

As for third party characters, I'd guess one or two of them, likely from companies that aren't already in the game. (again, not counting Echoes) Maybe one of them could be a Namco-Bandai character - I find it odd that none of the leaks indicate that we'll be getting a second one, despite them helping to develop the game again.

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Lets gets some discussion going.

How many DLC characters do you guys think we'll be getting? Do you think many of them will be third parties? With no veterans left to use as DLC there will probably be a ton of room for first party newcomers unlike last time
I'd say 5ish unique and 5ish echoes, however these could potentially shoot up to 10 if it outsells the Wii U version by even more then it likely will. If 40% of all Wii Us sold had a copy of SSB4 with them, and the Switch has sold about 48% more consoles than the Wii U so far (this number was calculated in June, and remember Smash sells consoles), then that's a lot of sales. And that's not counting the people who only had 3DS or Melee that want to switch to Ultimate!

My point is that the more DLC Nintendo puts in, the more money Nintendo gets. Keep in mind they are a business, and everybody is happy when they release DLC.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
even if its nothing but characters that you dont like?
I'm not a fan of Corrin in the FE games, but love them in Smash. Likewise, I love Palutena in Kid Icarus but not at all in Smash. You never know who you'll like or dislike in games like this until you try them all, and because I'm sure many families share Switch systems, it would make no sense to buy some but not all fighters in a collection, because it removes variety. That's just me, though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
DeeLC will probably go to at least 100 fighters and echoes, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went even bigger than that. Shiggy said that the Switch's life would be 7-10 years, so this is going to be the biggest Smash generation yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DeeLC will probably go to at least 100 fighters and echoes, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo went even bigger than that. Shiggy said that the Switch's life would be 7-10 years, so this is going to be the biggest Smash generation yet.
I certainly hope so there, it would more than make up for Waluigi, Pauline, Ashley and Shovel Knight not getting to party with the others this go-round.

Although I might be wrong about Pauline, I don't think they'd outright remove her gimmick from the New Donk City stage.

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
First, congratulations on 100 pages Deelievers! Next...

My guess is that DLC will work similar to Kirby's Dream Friend Allies, so it will come in waves. That being said it all depends on how many waves we have and how many characters are introduced in each wave. My general thought is that we'll have 12 newcomers for DLC including echoes: four waves, two new fighters and one echo in each. However I can see there being anywhere between 3 and 16 DLC fighters, but probably not the 32 or so we would need to bring the roster up to 100 (I'd like a nice, even 100 too, but historically Smash hasn't really paid attention to the final number of fighters).

StormC

Smash Hero
Let's say the leak is real, you really think they're going to develop 20+ characters on top of that, with how huge the roster is already and how much harder the game gets to balance with each new addition? That's over 100 dollars worth of character DLC alone. It strikes me as simply unfeasible.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not a fan of Corrin in the FE games, but love them in Smash. Likewise, I love Palutena in Kid Icarus but not at all in Smash. You never know who you'll like or dislike in games like this until you try them all, and because I'm sure many families share Switch systems, it would make no sense to buy some but not all fighters in a collection, because it removes variety. That's just me, though.
fair enough

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Really? I remember hearing there'd be another console coming in 2023.

As for the amount of DLC we're getting, I'm not sure. It's all a matter of how big they're willing to go with it. If they want to keep it low-tide, I could see them going to about where Smash 4 was in terms of DLC.On the other hand, if they want to go BIG, like with Xenoblade, Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids, assuming they don't do anything major besides fighters and stages, I could see there being 12 or even more, with a good 6-8 of them being non-echoes. (Or if you want to get really optimistic, maybe they can make whoever did the Mii Fighter costumes do echo fighters, since they'd sell better than Mii Costumes and have more of a purpose then them)

Most likely, I see them giving us at least 4 non-echoes, because that's how many Newcomers we got in Smash 4 and it'd be very disappointing for there to be fewer newcomers.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Really? I remember hearing there'd be another console coming in 2023.
Well the Switch came out in 2017, so if the next console (The Super Switch? The Switch U? The Nintendo 2160?) comes out seven years after that it'd be 2024 and would probably be announced in 2023.

11th

Smash Apprentice
I'd guess 5, maybe 6. We got 7 in Smash 4, but three of those were veterans, and two of those veterans were semi-clones.
.... I started a reply last night and said almost the exact same thing. A bit weird to see it posted. :T

Anyway: If there's DLC, it depends on how long they choose to support it and how big the team working on it is.

If it's going to last a year like Smash for's, I would guess 5-6 characters, assuming they're all made from scratch. (And not taking Echoes into account.) As Megadoomer has already stated, Smash for had 7, but three of them were veterans and two of those vets were semi-clones. Probably an even split between first-/second- and third-party characters. If the banner roster is true, I could see them focusing more on first-party characters that were too new to make the base game. If not, then I assume the trend of highly requested characters will continue.

If it's two years (seems unlikely to me, but -shrugs-), I'm going to guess 9-10. I don't doubt that they would prioritize third-parties to keep sales up in the second year. Maybe 4 first-party characters to 5-6 thirds.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well the Switch came out in 2017, so if the next console (The Super Switch? The Switch U? The Nintendo 2160?) comes out seven years after that it'd be 2024 and would probably be announced in 2023.
They said 7 to ten years, it could be 2027. Either way it's not for a long time. And besides, the next console could just be a revamped version of the Switch again, as we're supposed to get one late next year. It could be a home console system that connects with the Switch in some way (and hopefully with a stylus so we can play Mario maker)

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Do we have a list of how long Nintendo has supported each game? I think that could give us an idea of how long Ultimate support will last, and we can measure out a general idea of how many DLC characters we'll get

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Do we have a list of how long Nintendo has supported each game? I think that could give us an idea of how long Ultimate support will last, and we can measure out a general idea of how many DLC characters we'll get
The last ARMS update was some time ago, but Splatoon 2 is still in full support, as well as Odyssey. BotW is no longer receiving any work, and I believe the next Zelda game is already ind development. Star Allies will get it's 3rd (and maybe 4th) DLC waves sometime this year or the next. MK8 Deluxe has gotten some random updates here and there.

SwitchButton

The last ARMS update was some time ago, but Splatoon 2 is still in full support, as well as Odyssey. BotW is no longer receiving any work, and I believe the next Zelda game is already ind development. Star Allies will get it's 3rd (and maybe 4th) DLC waves sometime this year or the next. MK8 Deluxe has gotten some random updates here and there.
Then we also need to think about the type of support, I guess. Like Mario gets a simple costume every few months, while ARMS and Splatoon got and still get actual modes and weapons and online events and all that jazz. Ooof man I just have no idea XP

Smash 4 had 7, right? I guess 10-15 is a pretty safe guess. I wonder if they'll add Echoes as DLC though? IDK if people would want to pay for echoes.

StormC

Smash Hero
10 characters over two years of support is as optimistic as I’m willing to go.

StormC

Smash Hero
10 fighters is a lot. But I'm willing to go further and suggest up to 20, considering how many people are going to be unsatisfied.
There will still be people unsatisfied after 20, or 30, and so on. Consider that if Grinch is real, we have over 80 characters including echoes, and some people are still disappointed by the roster.

You can’t please everyone.

SwitchButton

Also do you guys think DLC numbers will be kept lower then the base game newcomers? I could see Nintendo being worried about people going all "They held back content to sell as DLC thats why we didn't get many normal newcomers!!!" Even though we all know that's def not the case

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Also do you guys think DLC numbers will be kept lower then the base game newcomers? I could see Nintendo being worried about people going all "They held back content to sell as DLC thats why we didn't get many normal newcomers!!!" Even though we all know that's def not the case
If Nintendo added more DLC characters than in the Base game they would get some bad publicity like FE Echoes did for having $45 worth of DLC although the game itself was $40. Besides, that would take like a week to install data wise.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Nintendo added more DLC characters than in the Base game they would get some bad publicity like FE Echoes did for having $45 worth of DLC although the game itself was $40. Besides, that would take like a week to install data wise.
I mean, character DLC alone for Smash 3DS costs 35 dollars (including bundled stages), vs. a 40 dollar game. I think Smash is popular enough that they can get away with it. I think it's only when character DLC gets close to the three digits that they are going to start sweating it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If our boy still makes it into the base game I wonder if his reveal trailer will pay homage to this scene from Subspace.
The only characters who appear in Subspace that aren't playable or enemies/bosses are Palutena, the Clown Car and the Waddle Dees.

2/3 of those are already playable.
Coincidence? I think NOT!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
For Ultimate, I've mainly been on the Geno train and it looks like he's pretty much confirmed at this point. If that ends up being the case, I will definitely stop by here more often and give my BWD support! I personally would love him, and the games he's playable in have been some of the best Kirby games to date! (in my opinion)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, character DLC alone for Smash 3DS costs 35 dollars (including bundled stages), vs. a 40 dollar game. I think Smash is popular enough that they can get away with it. I think it's only when character DLC gets close to the three digits that they are going to start sweating it.
Plus the base game is more than worth the asking price for it (especially in Canada, where Switch games are more expensive), with the amount of content it'll have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Despite the craziness of the week still believe Bandana Dee is in.

If not... I will always support the spear user.

But still support his chances.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
I think 10 is a somewhat reasonable number to expect if DLC is managed similar to how it was in 4. It's hard to make a solid guess seeing as how this time assets only have to be designed for one game version rather than two. They also could go really crazy with new echoes if they wanted to, but it's always hard to guess what will happen with Smash.
However, things might go differently this time. Sakurai could want to put a heavier focus on new DLC stages since the base game is mostly made up of past ones. There will definitely be newcomers, of course, but they might not be the main focus this time. Even if that's the case, I still think Dee will have a great chance. If he doesn't get deconfirmed his support is only going to grow post-launch thanks to all these other big names making playable status.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think some of ya'll are being a little ridiculous with DLC predictions. I doubt the roster will get to a 100 characters. The balancing would be just downright terrible. Not to mention we're running out of "worthy" Smash characters left to add. Out of the 1st party characters I can only think of Bandana Dee, Dixie, Impa, Skull Kid, Chibi-Robo, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Cranky, ARMS rep, Elma, Rex & Pyra, Gen 8 Pokemon, and Fire Emblem: 3 Houses rep (assuming the Grinch leak is real).

As for 3rd parties I honestly believe we may get Rayman for a Ubisoft rep. If we get any other 3rd parties it's not gonna be Crash or Spyro since they are western and I doubt Sakurai contacts Activision and especially since neither series is popular in Japan. Yeah Rayman is western too but at least Ubisoft has more of a good relationship with Nintendo then Activision does...So for 3rd parties I honestly believe we'll get characters from companies already represente in Smash. While I can't stand the thought of 3rd parties in Smash, I could see Sora, Slime, Monster Hunter, Aiai, Tails, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, the Okami dog (forgot the name), a Resident Evil rep, etc. basically only 3rd party characters from Square, Capcom, Namco, and SEGA.

SwitchButton

Out of the 1st party characters I can only think of Bandana Dee, Dixie, Impa, Skull Kid, Chibi-Robo, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Cranky, ARMS rep, Elma, Rex & Pyra, Gen 8 Pokemon, and Fire Emblem: 3 Houses rep
Well replace every Xenoblade character with Spring Man, but yeah the point remains. There are really only a few essential first party characters left

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Well replace every Xenoblade character with Spring Man, but yeah the point remains. There are really only a few essential first party characters left
Okay Medusa and DJ Octavio replace Elma and Rex & Pyra though I still think they should be on the roster. Xenoblade is a pretty big franchise for Nintendo now. Xenoblade 2 did sell over a million copies afterall. Not bad for a newer niche JRPG series (even if I don't care for the series personally).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Okay Medusa and DJ Octavio replace Elma and Rex & Pyra though I still think they should be on the roster. Xenoblade is a pretty big franchise for Nintendo now. Xenoblade 2 did sell over a million copies afterall. Not bad for a newer niche JRPG series (even if I don't care for the series personally).
Well Rex is likely as DLC I don't really know why he said to replace him. Elma isn't looking too good though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom