• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Just stopping in to say that Bandana Waddle Dee quite possibly has the dumbest arguments I've ever seen held against a character by the Smash fanbase.

And this is coming from someone whose most wanted characters were Pac-Man and K. Rool, so I've seen some really dumb arguments in my time.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Just stopping in to say that Bandana Waddle Dee quite possibly has the dumbest arguments I've ever seen held against a character by the Smash fanbase.

And this is coming from someone whose most wanted characters were Pac-Man and K. Rool, so I've seen some really dumb arguments in my time.
You mean 'argument'? :p
From what we've all seen so far, it's mostly the same "hat goomba" comparison, but that only stems from people who haven't even touched a modern Kirby game in their lives.
"He's generic!"
"He's just a hat goomba!"
"He's just a Goombario clone!"
People can't come up with something original, can they? Also, notice how the Bandana Dee following is one of the most peaceful character followings across the Smash fanbase. Obviously not the most, but ONE of the most.

We don't attack others for wanting a character, and definitely don't call out them out for it. Albeit, there are most likely some toxic Bandana Dee followers out there, but they're extremely rare when compared to others.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
From what we've all seen so far, it's mostly the same "hat goomba" comparison, but that only stems from people who haven't even touched a modern Kirby game in their lives.
"He's generic!"
People can't come up with something original, can they? Also, notice how the Bandana Dee following is one of the most peaceful character followings across the Smash fanbase. Obviously not the most, but ONE of the most.

We don't attack others for wanting a character, and definitely don't call out them out for it. Albeit, there are most likely some toxic Bandana Dee followers out there, but they're extremely rare when compared to others.

In my experience, Kirby fans in general are just super chill and pleasant.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
you know its been said but it's only the west that has a problem with Bandana dee because hes not a waifu or swordgunguyman number 42. I mean ya they also complained about simple move sets and what ever. it's honestly just a broken record saying things just for the sake of it.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Hey I wanted to ask you guys something. I know this doesn't really have to do with Bandana Dee, but do you guys think the Kirby series has a timeline? I've been trying to put together one but there doesn't seem to be enough info to warrant one. what do you guys think?

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Hey I wanted to ask you guys something. I know this doesn't really have to do with Bandana Dee, but do you guys think the Kirby series has a timeline? I've been trying to put together one but there doesn't seem to be enough info to warrant one. what do you guys think?
It does, and the devs have even confirmed that some games take place in a certain order. It's pretty difficult to line them up, though.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Watch what is Kirby cannon by meteorz,look at boss pause screen descriptions and their attacks,it’s deep stuff

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'll legitimately shed tears if he's announced.
Yes. I said it.
Same here. And you can bet I’ll be playing... something on loop. Something of relief.
Like the ending to The Revenge of Meta Knight or something like that.
Personally, I'd play the Green Greens fanfare that plays right after you've defeated Marx in Milky Way Wishes.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I know this was probably posted, or you already know about it, but I will still post it because it gives me a lot of hope!

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"Chrom from the Fire Emblem series and Dark Samus from the Metroid series are also joining the fray. I received many requests for both fighters from people in Japan and overseas, respectively."

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes."

The Smash Ballot is huge for this game and I'm sure Bandana Dee did well enough, at least better than both Chrom and Dark Samus, two characters that were "disconfirmed" in Smash 4 (Robin's Final Smash and an AT). I think that because a lot of people didn't vote for characters that had no chances for Smash 4 because they didn't know or believe the ballot would be used for future games.

It also looks like Sakurai organizes the amount of requests in countries/continents.
Chrom was popular in Japan and Dark Samus was popular in the other places.
We also know Shovel Knight is an AT, and it's obvious he was added thanks to the ballot support he got from America.
Bandana Dee was decently popular here and very popular in Japan, sure, he would not be an easy to develop Echo Fighter like Chrom or Dark Samus, but still, he was popular during the ballot period and that raises his chances a lot in my opinion.

During the ballot period, the characters I personally saw a lot (in polls, forums, Top 10 videos, etc) were:

-Like a million third parties: Shovel Knight, Shantae, Banjo, Geno, Bomberman, Bayonetta, Rayman, Sora, Crash, Spyro, Slime, etc... and I don't think we will see many of them playable, probably 2 or 3 max, third parties are hard to get.

-Veterans: (we already have all of them!)

-Nintendo characters: King K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Inkling, Krystal and Daisy.

We already know he doesn't appear in Dedede's moveset, not even in the Masked Dedede Final Smash.
He is probably not an AT, thanks to Chef Kawasaki.
So, I don't know, the only thing he could be IMO (if not playable) is part of Dedede's Victory Pose instead of the other Waddle Dee or just a trophy (would be very weird)... or nothing again (just no).

But yeah, in summary, Bandana Dee is still not disconfirmed, the ballot is very important for character selection this time and I'm sure Bandana Dee did well in it, so... I have hope!

VoxeD

Smash Rookie
Hallo. I'd like to be added in the support list! Fingers crossed for his inclusion! :upsidedown:

(I have a serious Bandana Dee addiction please help)

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Please add me too, he really deserves to be in.
After Metroid is at 4 reps now (which I love), I want to see Kirby und Donkey Kong (Dixie!) get the same treatment.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I know this was probably posted, or you already know about it, but I will still post it because it gives me a lot of hope!

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"Chrom from the Fire Emblem series and Dark Samus from the Metroid series are also joining the fray. I received many requests for both fighters from people in Japan and overseas, respectively."

"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes."

The Smash Ballot is huge for this game and I'm sure Bandana Dee did well enough, at least better than both Chrom and Dark Samus, two characters that were "disconfirmed" in Smash 4 (Robin's Final Smash and an AT). I think that because a lot of people didn't vote for characters that had no chances for Smash 4 because they didn't know or believe the ballot would be used for future games.

It also looks like Sakurai organizes the amount of requests in countries/continents.
Chrom was popular in Japan and Dark Samus was popular in the other places.
We also know Shovel Knight is an AT, and it's obvious he was added thanks to the ballot support he got from America.
Bandana Dee was decently popular here and very popular in Japan, sure, he would not be an easy to develop Echo Fighter like Chrom or Dark Samus, but still, he was popular during the ballot period and that raises his chances a lot in my opinion.

During the ballot period, the characters I personally saw a lot (in polls, forums, Top 10 videos, etc) were:

-Like a million third parties: Shovel Knight, Shantae, Banjo, Geno, Bomberman, Bayonetta, Rayman, Sora, Crash, Spyro, Slime, etc... and I don't think we will see many of them playable, probably 2 or 3 max, third parties are hard to get.

-Veterans: (we already have all of them!)

-Nintendo characters: King K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Inkling, Krystal and Daisy.

We already know he doesn't appear in Dedede's moveset, not even in the Masked Dedede Final Smash.
He is probably not an AT, thanks to Chef Kawasaki.
So, I don't know, the only thing he could be IMO (if not playable) is part of Dedede's Victory Pose instead of the other Waddle Dee or just a trophy (would be very weird)... or nothing again (just no).

But yeah, in summary, Bandana Dee is still not disconfirmed, the ballot is very important for character selection this time and I'm sure Bandana Dee did well in it, so... I have hope!
The fact that Sakurai looks at the regions a character is popular in, as well as Ridley’s inclusion make me especially hopeful, considering Ridley’s demand came mostly from the west and I imagine K. Rool was a high request everywhere. I have faith that Bandana Dee will be Japan’s Ridley in that regard. Guess time will tell.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
If Bandana Dee doesn't make it in this time, then I'll forever regret not voting for him in the ballot alongside K. Rool... I wasn't as into Kirby then as I am now, so I didn't really think to vote for him. I was pretty much 100% on the K. Rool train during the Smash 4 DLC days (And I'm glad that THAT vote paid off at least). I mean, I know that if Dee isn't in, then my one vote wouldn't have changed anything, but still...

Welp, either way, here's hoping that all of the votes he did get will pay off in the end.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sakurai really did use the ballot when choosing a majority of Ultimate's newcomers, then he'll have a hard time explaining why he didn't add BWD. He's relevant, iconic, and unlike Chrom and Dark Samus, BWD was extremely popular in all regions. I'd even go as far as to say that he was in the top 5 (excluding vets).

I'll acknowledge the possibility of Sakurai not putting him in, but it doesn't make any sense to me, especially when HAL literally mapped out his entire moveset in RtD.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
If Dee isn't in then Sakurai bias absolutely exists 100% and nothing will convince me otherwise. With Ashley I was able to see in hindsight why she didn't make the cut but I can't even imagine any other reason for WD's exclusion other than a bias.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Dee isn't in then Sakurai bias absolutely exists 100% and nothing will convince me otherwise. With Ashley I was able to see in hindsight why she didn't make the cut but I can't even imagine any other reason for WD's exclusion other than a bias.
its probably all the reason he needs

StormC

Smash Hero
I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee got in... wearing Banjo's backpack and Kazooie being a part of his moveset.

Strangely, most people were fine with this, if a bit confused.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So I was just curious if there was a lot of stuff based on the mispelling of BD, as Banana Waddle Dee. and I was not disappointed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee got in... wearing Banjo's backpack and Kazooie being a part of his moveset.

Strangely, most people were fine with this, if a bit confused.
weve all had dreams like that im sure

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
IMG_0874.JPG

I got this cute lil Bandana Dee charm from a friend the other day! ^^

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Sakurai created Bandanna Dee....

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Technically true, but Bandana Dee wasn’t given a remotely important role until Super Star Ultra and Return to Dreamland, which Sakurai didn’t direct.
Are you suggesting that Sakurai sees Bandana Dee as this minor character who someone turned into their OC?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are you suggesting that Sakurai sees Bandana Dee as this minor character who someone turned into their OC?
That's pretty much what he did with Palutena, I doubt he has a problem with the concept.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure Sakurai feels an interesting fondness for Bandana Dee, which he helped create, and took off further than he could've known.

Last edited:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I think B. Dee would be really interesting and fun as a spear wielder and his move set is already laid out for him, not to mention he completes the sort of hero quartet with Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede (though I hesitate to call D3 a hero, lol). I’m more of a Dark Matter supporter in terms of Kirby reps, but Bandana Dee’s inclusion would be really exciting and is pretty much the next logical step in terms of Kirby representation. Put me on the support list!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"He's generic!"

Another common argument I have seen detractors use is the idea that Bandanna Dee wouldn't be a hype or appealing Smash character.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I just wish Sakurai would give me the Dee already! I DREAM about the Dee! I CRAVE the Dee. I just wish Sakurai would bless me with his Dee so I can stop having dreams about it. I just want to use Dee's tip to slay with while Smashing already!

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I just wish Sakurai would give me the Dee already! I DREAM about the Dee! I CRAVE the Dee. I just wish Sakurai would bless me with his Dee so I can stop having dreams about it. I just want to use Dee's tip to slay with while Smashing already!
dude chill keep it family friendly... if anything september needs to be our turn

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Another common argument I have seen detractors use is the idea that Bandanna Dee wouldn't be a hype or appealing Smash character.
Only unappealing to them. They feel as if they're a majority, and want to express the entire fanbase on how they view one character.
The stupidity and arrogance of the Smash community has exceeded its peak. (Implying it hasn't already.:dizzy:)

Chumble Spuzz

Smash Rookie
I gotta show my support for this little spear boi. Please add me to the supporters list!
Bandana Waddle Dee is my number one pick for Ultimate since Waluigi was deconfirmed. It hurts me that my favorite series only has 3 reps! I've been haunting this place and the Kirby and Dee subreddits just soaking up all the hope for the little guy. If Bandana Dee waddles in, I'll never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.
...That's a complete lie, I need Porky in here too

Top Bottom