• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I’m gunna try and stay optimistic but I feel like Isabelle taking a new comer slot really hinders BWD’s chances.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't Dee but i'm still really excited! Don't worry guys, his chances are still great! Don't lose hope, and don't act super entitled like a lot of people are right now.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Well, I was right about Dee not being announced but wrong about the newcomer. I'm really happy about Isabelle as a huge Animal Crossing fan! Anyway, he still has a shot.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This proves Vergeban to be basically infallible. So Ken, Incineroar, Steve?, and Geno are are more likely now.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I’m thinking smash ultimate will go up to 70 new comers. I personally think, the last two spots will go to geno and a pokemon. Skull kid, BWD, Isaac, and Isabelle were all fighting for that one spot and Isabelle took it. BUT I’m not giving up hope for our bandana Boi!

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
I feel like this game was gunna be like full of the characters that have been always asked for, Ridley, K. Rool, geno etc. a new IP in splatoon, a first party character from an established game (animal crossing) and then third parties (Simon and geno) and a Pokémon. That all gets us to a nice even 70 characters.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I feel like this game was gunna be like full of the characters that have been always asked for, Ridley, K. Rool, geno etc. a new IP in splatoon, a first party character from an established game (animal crossing) and then third parties (Simon and geno) and a Pokémon. That all gets us to a nice even 70 characters.
Again with nonsense patterns. Just like how the chairs totally confirmed Skull Kid, yeah?

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Honestly Isabelle leaves me kinda concerned for Dee's chances. What if they made him an Assist Trophy functioning like how Isabelle did in Smash 4 and that they haven't showed him yet to not make Isabelle so obvious? Not to mention that the roster is getting a bit tight and big hitters like Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac and Incinaroar are starting to overshadow him.
While he still has a good shot, I no longer can consider him a near-lock unfortunately. Can someone here please try to convince me otherwise? :(

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly Isabelle leaves me kinda concerned for Dee's chances. What if they made him an Assist Trophy functioning like how Isabelle did in Smash 4 and that they haven't showed him yet to not make Isabelle so obvious? Not to mention that the roster is getting a bit tight and big hitters like Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac and Incinaroar are starting to overshadow him.
While he still has a good shot, I no longer can consider him a near-lock unfortunately. Can someone here please try to convince me otherwise? :(
Well since Isabelle is very semi-clonish, I doubt she 'stole any slot' like some people are saying. I see Isabelle as a bonus frankly, Like my boy Lucas. Plus; Bandanna Dee and Isabelle have no overlap in fighting style either ;3

Calane

Smash Ace
Don't forget to link the artist -- they have a bunch of other nice works, Kirby or otherwise! Their Twitter was linked a few pages back with the moveset they posted for Bandana Dee, but here's this particular image on their Tumblr: [Link] (It's also higher quality and unedited.)

Fingers crossed for today, everyone. Given that there's a strong chance that we'll get news on wave three for Star Allies, I think he has a decent shot! But we'll just have to wait a bit longer and see.
Sorry. I didn't know who made the picture. It was just laying around in one of my folders. I'll be sure to be more considerate of such things in the future.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I stand by what has been said before.
Having Dee be an assist trophy that gives items while Kawasaki exists, or a brawler while Knuckle Joe exists seems EXTREMELY unlikely. I genuinely believe he won’t be an assist.

SwitchButton

big hitters like Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac and Incinaroar are starting to overshadow him.
Well for one you can stop telling yourself that these are "big hitters". Isabelle shows that Sakurai isn't ONLY adding forgotten decade old characters. Pokemon is getting it's usual newcomer, sure, but that's it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well for one you can stop telling yourself that these are "big hitters". Isabelle shows that Sakurai isn't ONLY adding forgotten decade old characters. Pokemon is getting it's usual newcomer, sure, but that's it.
If they were forgotten why are they so popular

D

Deleted member

I definitely didn't expect the result, but I'm not mad about it at all.
Hang in there guys! We have some time left!

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I'm as happy as can be. Isabelle is in! BWD would be the cherry on top, then smash would be the only game I played. Seriously.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I stand by what has been said before.
Having Dee be an assist trophy that gives items while Kawasaki exists, or a brawler while Knuckle Joe exists seems EXTREMELY unlikely. I genuinely believe he won’t be an assist.
I actually forgot about Kawasaki giving a random food at the end. That's true.

Since he's likely not going to be an AT then, he's either

- A newcomer
- A trophy
- Not in the game at all (Really?)

I don't think they can ignore him completely, and giving him a trophy while just ignoring that he's in the top of polls would be in bad taste in my opinion. Isn't he literally #1 in Japan?

Yes. Yes he is.
1534577856494.png

And Magolor is #2, so them not paying any homage to the Kirby love in Japan would be very odd.. this is of course assuming that he's still basing characters off of the Smash Ballot, and focusing on more like Incineroar or Skull Kid, but I doubt he did that for just Ridley and K. Rool.

If he's not a newcomer I think it's possible that he could be DLC. That would also be a little strange given that basically all the DLC characters last game were 3rd-parties, but oh well. We'll see.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
K.Rool is the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. And yes, Sakurai threw the internet crowd a bone. I doubt you'll get another so enjoy it.
That's a pretty sad prediction for every large character left. So I guess you think it'll only be Incenaroar and some other promotional characters like 4.

11th

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Isabelle and Bandana Dee's chances:
I actually think it helps him because it confirms that not every announcement is going to be a long requested character, or something that caters exclusively to the vocal (key word) Smash fanbase. Casual gamers don't care as much about Ridley or K. Rool, or unconfirmed characters like Isaac and Geno, but if they see a character from a game that they do play get in (ex. Animal Crossing, Pokémon, etc.), they might be more inclined to try Smash.

On top of that, even if these characters aren't as highly requested, they're still very important to their series. There has been a lot of focus this time around on not just giving longtime Smash fans some of what they want, but on evening out the representation of series that are already in. That's part of why we've gotten two Metroid characters instead of just Ridley, and that was possibly a contributing factor for K. Rool.

That's not to say that Isaac, Geno, Banjo/Kazooie, etc. have no chance, just that it's not as set in stone as some people may think. They could very well be announced later, but none of those three were currently very well suited for today's general Direct for the reasons listed above.

(That's why none of them were on my predictions list for today (which I really wish I had posted somewhere): I didn't know of any announcements they could be tied to. I had BanDee, a Pokémon rep, and Isabelle on it because I knew there would be announcements for their series... though I don't think anyone expected the Kirby announcement to be Epic Yarn on 3DS. |D)

ETA:
Sorry. I didn't know who made the picture. It was just laying around in one of my folders. I'll be sure to be more considerate of such things in the future.
No worries, it happens! Just the nature of the internet, unfortunately. But when in doubt, reverse image search is your best friend, and a lot of artists appreciate the link back.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

That's a pretty sad prediction for every large character left. So I guess you think it'll only be Incenaroar and some other promotional characters like 4.
I think it'll be some Sun/Moon pokemon, a third party gaming icon, and one "normal" nintendo character (that is to say, another piece of iconography associated with modern Nintendo akin to Isabelle and Inklings) and a handful of new echos.
It was always ridiculous to assume EVERY newcomer would be some "hasn't appeared in a million years but the internet likes them" pander.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think it'll be some Sun/Moon pokemon, a third party gaming icon, and one "normal" nintendo character (that is to say, another piece of iconography associated with modern Nintendo akin to Isabelle and Inklings) and a handful of new echos.
It was always ridiculous to assume EVERY newcomer would be some "hasn't appeared in a million years but the internet likes them" pander.
I suppose so but still with every single character being picked due to popularity it seemed possible. Honestly with how popular AC is it still does. Still, I hope your prediction is wrong as it means no one popular is left and that would be lame. Sure we got Simon, K Rool, and Ridley but no Isaac's, Geno's, or BDs would make for an incredibly long 3 months to December.

Last edited:

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
We didn't get BD today but I wouldn't fret too much; Isabelle making in as an unique only makes me more hopeful for BD's chances since Sakurai is acknowledging popularity from characters with large Japanese followings.

Also, I'm seeing people mention Incineroar as more likely or a near-lock since Vergeben is looking stronger and stronger. I would like to say that Verge never stated (to my knowledge) that Incineroar would be the Gen 7 newcomer. As long as it's not Decidueye (to my chagrin) nor Lycanroc, any Gen 7 pokemon not-yet-revealed is also still fair game if you prescribe to Verge's notions.

SwitchButton

I would like to say that Verge never stated (to my knowledge) that Incineroar would be the Gen 7 newcomer.
I don't know anything about Pokemon except that the one added to smash is always the "mascot" of the gen. The one who gets lots of toys and movie appearances and anime appearances and stuff. Who are the pokemon that are in this position? I always assumed Incineroar was like the new Greninja or something.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm pretty happy with Isabelle. She wasn't at the top of my most wanted, but she recently made her way into my top ten. Plus, the fact that she's a Lucas level of semi-clone (which a lot of people thought was off the table because of Echoes), means that Dixie's chances to be a semi-clone instead of an Echo has gone up quite a bit, which I'm definitely hoping for.

To be on topic though... there is a part of me that feels less confident in Bandana Dee's chances with Isabelle. By no means am I upset with her inclusion, but I can't help but have this :ultinkling: of a feeling that Bandana Dee seems less likely now, especially given the scary possibility that he could take on Isabelle's food throwing Assist Trophy role... even with Kawasaki. And I know that if he did indeed become an Assist Trophy, then he'll be relentlessly mocked by a bunch of people, who'd say things like "See? He was just a boring Goomba with a hat that wasn't interesting enough to be playable!" It would honestly sting to have Bandana Dee be the subject of such mockery, and that's why I've grown to detest those memes and such that make fun of characters that didn't become playable (I really feel for the Ashley and Waluigi fans. They have it the worst).

Sorry to be a downer though. Our boi still has a shot, and I'm still holding out hope for him. Tbh I'm probably just being irrationally pessimistic about this haha, sorry bout that. Here's hoping for the next reveal!

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
I don't know anything about Pokemon except that the one added to smash is always the "mascot" of the gen. The one who gets lots of toys and movie appearances and anime appearances and stuff. Who are the pokemon that are in this position? I always assumed Incineroar was like the new Greninja or something.
I wouldn't say that Incineroar is the "mascot" of Gen 7, I woudn't even say he is the most popular of the Gen 7 starters' final evolutions for that honor would go to Decidueye (particularly for Rowlet). However, Incineroar does still have at least decent merchandising and backing from TPC along with the fact that his concept art features Ash (Hence why people believe Ash will get an Incineroar in the anime) and Sakurai might be very intrigued by Incineroar's boisterous wrestling style and its potential for Smash. This is why speculation circles believe that Incineroar will be the Gen 7 newcomer.

To answer your question about what other pokemon could fit the bill as a "mascot" and a Smash character: there is Rowlet who I believe to be the most popular Alola pokemon period (Vergeben said no Decidueye, not Decidueye's entire evolutionary line), Tapu Koko is the most famous of the Tapus, who are the guardians of each of the Alolan islands in Gen 7, he has a decent fanbase and he is important to Alola's lore, Primarina is afaik decently popular in Japan, then there are pokemon like Pheromosa and Buzzwole who can represent the Ultra Beasts, Kommo-o also for lore reasons. Lycanroc is pushed heavily by TPC although Verge says no, and Marshadow and Mimikyu have the same issue but they're officially deconfirmed for playable.

SwitchButton

I wouldn't say that Incineroar is the "mascot" of Gen 7, I woudn't even say he is the most popular of the Gen 7 starters' final evolutions for that honor would go to Decidueye (particularly for Rowlet). However, Incineroar does still have at least decent merchandising and backing from TPC along with the fact that his concept art features Ash (Hence why people believe Ash will get an Incineroar in the anime) and Sakurai might be very intrigued by Incineroar's boisterous wrestling style and its potential for Smash. This is why speculation circles believe that Incineroar will be the Gen 7 newcomer.

To answer your question about what other pokemon could fit the bill as a "mascot" and a Smash character: there is Rowlet who I believe to be the most popular Alola pokemon period (Vergeben said no Decidueye, not Decidueye's entire evolutionary line), Tapu Koko is the most famous of the Tapus, who are the guardians of each of the Alolan islands in Gen 7, he has a decent fanbase and he is important to Alola's lore, Primarina is afaik decently popular in Japan, then there are pokemon like Pheromosa and Buzzwole who can represent the Ultra Beasts, Kommo-o also for lore reasons. Lycanroc is pushed heavily by TPC although Verge says no, and Marshadow and Mimikyu have the same issue but they're officially deconfirmed for playable.
Popularity means less then nothing when it comes to this game's Pokemon. We didn't know any of them even existed when one was selected for Smash.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
Popularity means less then nothing when it comes to this game's Pokemon. We didn't know any of them even existed when one was selected for Smash.
You are correct, which is why Incineroar's concept art details lended credence to the speculation that it was the Gen 7 pick. Though highly unlikely, Sakurai could have saved a base slot for the gen 7 pokemon for after S/M came out and chose a pokemon then, but that's more wishful thinking on my part.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
OK, quick digression from Bandana Dee...

So you're half right. However every Pokemon newcomer (with the exception of Pikachu and maybe Mewtwo) are not "mascots" of that generation. The "mascots" of the generation are typically the legendary Pokemon introduced (i.e the Pokemon who appear in marketing for the games). However, each new Pokemon introduced (Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja) have been big characters in the anime, but this doesn't mean they're mascots. In fact in the games they're not really even that important (except for maybe Greninja who's the final form of one of the starters), and almost every Pokemon gets a toy made out of them so that's really a non-starter (unless you want to hop onto the KinglerForSmash bandwagon, population: ME!).

Let's now look at Incineroar. What Incineroar has going for them: They have an interesting-ish design, they're the final form of one of the starters, and one of the leaks everyone's obsessed with said "The Pokemon newcomer won't be Decidueye or Lycanroc!". What Incineroar doesn't have going for it: It's not popular at all in the anime, they didn't have a whole lot of support prior to that leak, and the big thing everyone references is a leak that for all we know isn't true (because most leaks aren't true). If you can't tell, I'm really not feeling Incineroar for the fighter.

Who is the "new Greninja"? Lycanroc. Lycanroc is currently the Pokemon getting a lot of focus in the anime and is one of Ash's mains. That's why Lycanroc has such a big following. My main criticism for this is that outside of the anime not a lot of people know who Lycanroc is.

So, for the million dollar question: Who will be Smash Ultimate's new Pokemon rep? For me, the answer is there will be none. I think Decidueye and Lycanroc are still the two most likely, but I just don't see either of them making it in, as Gen 7 is over or nearly there and it's high time to start looking forward at the next one, mainly Let's Go Pikachu! and Eevee!. So I don't think we're going to get a new rep. In the base roster. However, for DLC we will either get one of my most wanted new fighters who was deconfirmed right out of the gate (Eevee), or more likely we're going to be getting a new Pokemon from the upcoming Gen8 that no one yet knows about.

Oh, and you'll notice I didn't mention Pichu. I have no idea what happened there, you're guess is as good as mine.

Now let's return to our regularly scheduled Bandana Dee Broadcasting.

And having Isabelle in the game (as an echo? That part was unclear to me) does nothing to Bandana Dee's chances. He's still among the most likely newcomers, and I still have every confidence in him (though... I mean just read above for my track record).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Isabelle's reveal bodes well for Bandana Dee.

It shows Sakurai still cares somewhat about a characters prominence and importance to the series. Isabelle is a very prominent Animal Crossing character, basically becoming the mascot. But you get a lot of people who would call it lame

Bandana Dee is part of the core cast of Kirby characters and should not be ignored. Even if people consider the character lame

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
OK, quick digression from Bandana Dee...

So you're half right. However every Pokemon newcomer (with the exception of Pikachu and maybe Mewtwo) are not "mascots" of that generation. The "mascots" of the generation are typically the legendary Pokemon introduced (i.e the Pokemon who appear in marketing for the games). However, each new Pokemon introduced (Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja) have been big characters in the anime, but this doesn't mean they're mascots. In fact in the games they're not really even that important (except for maybe Greninja who's the final form of one of the starters), and almost every Pokemon gets a toy made out of them so that's really a non-starter (unless you want to hop onto the KinglerForSmash bandwagon, population: ME!).

Let's now look at Incineroar. What Incineroar has going for them: They have an interesting-ish design, they're the final form of one of the starters, and one of the leaks everyone's obsessed with said "The Pokemon newcomer won't be Decidueye or Lycanroc!". What Incineroar doesn't have going for it: It's not popular at all in the anime, they didn't have a whole lot of support prior to that leak, and the big thing everyone references is a leak that for all we know isn't true (because most leaks aren't true). If you can't tell, I'm really not feeling Incineroar for the fighter.

Who is the "new Greninja"? Lycanroc. Lycanroc is currently the Pokemon getting a lot of focus in the anime and is one of Ash's mains. That's why Lycanroc has such a big following. My main criticism for this is that outside of the anime not a lot of people know who Lycanroc is.

So, for the million dollar question: Who will be Smash Ultimate's new Pokemon rep? For me, the answer is there will be none. I think Decidueye and Lycanroc are still the two most likely, but I just don't see either of them making it in, as Gen 7 is over or nearly there and it's high time to start looking forward at the next one, mainly Let's Go Pikachu! and Eevee!. So I don't think we're going to get a new rep. In the base roster. However, for DLC we will either get one of my most wanted new fighters who was deconfirmed right out of the gate (Eevee), or more likely we're going to be getting a new Pokemon from the upcoming Gen8 that no one yet knows about.

Oh, and you'll notice I didn't mention Pichu. I have no idea what happened there, you're guess is as good as mine.

Now let's return to our regularly scheduled Bandana Dee Broadcasting.

And having Isabelle in the game (as an echo? That part was unclear to me) does nothing to Bandana Dee's chances. He's still among the most likely newcomers, and I still have every confidence in him (though... I mean just read above for my track record).
I second this 100%. While I’d like to see Lycanroc myself, I don’t feel we’ll be getting a new pokémon. Another point I feel is worth noting is Sakurai’s prior statement on his hesitations on Corrin, as he felt like the amount of Fire Emblem characters was getting pretty high and was convinced by intsys that they had the potential to be a unique fighter. Now sure, Chrom was added, but he was highly requested in Japan and also an easy echo.
But anyway, my point is, Pokémon now sits at 9 non-echo characters if we count the Pokémon trainer as 3. And while the unique character situation could still very well happen, I just wonder when Sakurai’s going to draw the line and say “enough is enough”.

But back to Dee, I can understand that people feel hesitant with his chances now. I’m personally still of the opinion that Dee is the most likely first party character, period.

I’m going to take this moment to quote 2 sentences from Ace Attorney of all things.

“The worst of times is when you’ll have to force the biggest smile.”
“A lawyer only cries when it’s all over.”

I’ll defend Bandana Dee for smash if it’s the last damn thing I’ll do. Until confirmed otherwise, I’m going to believe he’s in, especially now as I feel Isabelle won’t be the last modern character to be revealed.

Keep in mind that it’s not just Dee’s chances that may or may not have decreased, but *every potential single unique newcomer* is in the same boat, as the majority (I think) of smash speculation expected Isabelle to be an echo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This proves Vergeban to be basically infallible. So Ken, Incineroar, Steve?, and Geno are are more likely now.
Not really. Isabelle was just too iconic to skip.
Just because many people refuse to realize most of his A moves don't hurt him doesn't mean The Pokemon Company wasn't promoting him at the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom