• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Net317

Smash Rookie
So, I realized something about Bandana Dee in Smash Ultimate that I wanted to share.

>Chef Kawasaki: New Kirby Assist Trophy

>Galacta Knight: Debuted in Super Star Ultra

>Dedede: Masked Dedede, Cage Fight

First of all, Super Star Ultra is already on Sakurai's radar and it's super clear. Galacta Knight, a potential fighter, is a costume. The Masked Dedede Cage Fight in which Bandana Dee is present... well, he's not present in the Smash version of it (as we already know), which is weird considering the amount of attention to detail in Ultimate. The new Assist Trophy spot when to Chef Kawasaki, when it could've been Bandana Dee if Sakurai didn't want him to be playable.

I feel like there's no way Sakurai's just dismissing Bandana Dee. He knows how relevant and important he is, and he knows how Bandana Dee grew to be a main character. This is without even considering his huge popularity in and out of Japan, and the Amiibo datamine that could or could not mean something.

I don't think this is some coincidence. Maybe Bandana Dee isn't there at all, but I seriously doubt it. He has all the requirements and popularity a character would need to become a playable character, and the fact that Sakurai's taken stuff from Super Star Ultra and Bandana Dee isn't at least an Assist Trophy, and he isn't in Dedede's Final Smash is super suspicious to me. I doubt Sakurai would just dismiss him, especially with his easily translatable moveset, let alone if he had to get in contact with HAL for the crud he's using since they pretty much have been pushing Bandana Dee for years.

We know some of our newcomers have been highly requested since Brawl, but they also probably did well in the ballot along with characters like Inkling, Wolf, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Ice Climbers - who are all in Ultimate, and according to Source Gaming, far less requested than Bandana Dee (except Inkling and Wolf). I just think there's no way BWD isn't in.

Last edited:

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
The reason waluigi and Ashley aren’t in is just because Sakurai doesn’t like making assists into characters,for some reason.so newer equally as good fighters become assists(mimikyu)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The reason waluigi and Ashley aren’t in is just because Sakurai doesn’t like making assists into characters,for some reason.so newer equally as good fighters become assists(mimikyu)
Little Mac
Dark Samus
and if we stretch the definition, Charizard and Ridley.

I don't think there's a "keep as is bias" (I know it has a proper name but it escapes me) I think it's all a matter of balancing things with demand and effort required to make them.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
They aren't in because they just didn't get in. Waluigi didn't have a lot of support until recently and Ashley only started to get super popular a bit after the project plan. Assists are supposed to be special guests aka popular characters that didn't become fighters

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think them being assists is the problem, the bigger issue is that they may simply not be popular enough worldwide, Ashley is very popular in Japan but not so much in the west, the opposite is true for waluigi, and waluigi has fierce competition from other mario characters which are more unique/popular. Bandana Dee is luckily pretty popular worldwide and is pretty much the only potential next kirby character

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Ashley and Waluigi didn't get in because they're tertiary characters that don't actually do anything. I mean, 90% of the time Ashley is literally just a background image while you play completely unrelated minigames. That on top of the fact that she's a side character in a side character's spinoff game doesn't help.

And Waluigi is.. well, obviously no explanation is needed on that front

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
The issues with Ashley and Waluigi are similar but different.

I think one issue with Ashley is that she really wasn’t that popular. We see her as the second most popular pick now, but that’s because her thread exploded post-E3, they obviously couldn’t have gaged any popularity for her beforehand as she was kind of a spur of the moment popular nominee. Add the fact that the last Wario title was received poorly, and it’d be hard to reason how popular she actually was. People act like she’s the new Ridley, but she really isn’t, if she had more popularity going into any Smash game before, then she would be in, and before any one says assist trophy, Ridley was so popular throughout the years of Smash that he made it in even with little ballot support.

As for Waluigi, his issue is being Waluigi. Most take his fandom as a joke, in a similar vain to people who love Big the Cat. Waluigi supporters aren’t taken seriously by Sakurai or the Smash community which is why they get aggravated by his disconfirmatiom. I doesn’t matter how popular Waluigi is, because most see him as a character people like because he sucks, he’s put in the same boat as Big, Jar Jar Binks, and other joke characters which is why he’s not in Smash. Sakurai probably thought people were joking when they requested him, leading to the problem we have now.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
This little guy is on my "character who I have never played his/her/its original game but the community somehow made me like him/her/it so I'd be happy to see playable" list. Count me in :bluejump:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Absolutely love how well done this is but I think I'd still prefer Marx as a 4th Kirby rep for a more inspired moveset and an alignment that differs from Meta Knight's and D3's

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
The issues with Ashley and Waluigi are similar but different.

I think one issue with Ashley is that she really wasn’t that popular. We see her as the second most popular pick now, but that’s because her thread exploded post-E3, they obviously couldn’t have gaged any popularity for her beforehand as she was kind of a spur of the moment popular nominee. Add the fact that the last Wario title was received poorly, and it’d be hard to reason how popular she actually was. People act like she’s the new Ridley, but she really isn’t, if she had more popularity going into any Smash game before, then she would be in, and before any one says assist trophy, Ridley was so popular throughout the years of Smash that he made it in even with little ballot support.

As for Waluigi, his issue is being Waluigi. Most take his fandom as a joke, in a similar vain to people who love Big the Cat. Waluigi supporters aren’t taken seriously by Sakurai or the Smash community which is why they get aggravated by his disconfirmatiom. I doesn’t matter how popular Waluigi is, because most see him as a character people like because he sucks, he’s put in the same boat as Big, Jar Jar Binks, and other joke characters which is why he’s not in Smash. Sakurai probably thought people were joking when they requested him, leading to the problem we have now.
I agree on that statement on waluigi. If your mostly going to meme a character NO one will take you seriously. I get there are jokes to be made about a few characters. but if its the ONLY thing or the biggest thing that comes out of that character then what do you expect?

on another note what original move would you give Bandana Dee? because after seening King K Rool's counter it feels like it fits him well but it was never shown to be a part of his original moves to my knowledge.

SwitchButton

Absolutely love how well done this is but I think I'd still prefer Marx as a 4th Kirby rep for a more inspired moveset and an alignment that differs from Meta Knight's and D3's
I don't get this. How are generic flashy magic attacks more inspired then an entirely new weapon niche?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This little guy is on my "character who I have never played his/her/its original game but the community somehow made me like him/her/it so I'd be happy to see playable" list. Count me in :bluejump:
Oddly; for me that's every character EXCEPT Bandanna Waddle Dee lol

xNaz

Smash Cadet
I don't get this. How are generic flashy magic attacks more inspired then an entirely new weapon niche?
You think swinging a pike as opposed to a sword is more unique than the arsenal that Marx has?

Edit: I'd like to reiterate that I'm all for BWD getting in. I'm just dropping a preference as far as potential Kirby reps go for the sake of discussion.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Can I be honest with something

Marx wasn't really that popular until recently, when he was added as a dream friend in Star Allies. Unless the Sakurai bias is real, I don't see him much as a character

Last edited:

SwitchButton

You think swinging a pike as opposed to a sword is more unique than the arsenal that Marx has?
Yes. Polearms and their fighting styles have been developed and polished over thousands of years of human history. There is borderline infinite potential to be drawn from.

Meanwhile Marx has like 4-5 boss moves from Super Star that he would just regurgitate a bunch of times. Not to mention that most, if not all, of those moves are literally just generic projectiles.

Can I be honest with something

Marx wasn't really that popular until recently, when he was added as a dream friend in allies. Unless the Sakurai bias is real, I don't see him much as a character
Without a doubt.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I get where you're coming from, but from my perspective, getting Marx before Bandana Dee would kind of feel like getting Petey Pirahna before getting Luigi to me, or Rosalina before Peach. Marx is a cool villain, but he's a also a one-off character while Bandana Dee, has been built up as a mainstay for over half a decade. You could say that this is a case of moveset potential vs. character relevancy, but it's not like Dee wouldn't have a unique moveset considering the possibilities for how a spear could work in Smash, and even the potential for the parasol to also be thrown into the mix.

For the record, I'm not saying that Marx shouldn't or couldn't be in Smash, if Bandana Dee gets in, then I'm all for him or Dark Matter to get in via DLC. I honestly just think that it would be weird to see him next to Kirby, MK, and DDD when Bandana Dee has been long established as the fourth member of the main cast and has plenty to work with. Nothing wrong with wanting Marx more though, I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

Anop

Smash Apprentice
If Bandana Dee isn't in the game then we can finally confirm that Sakurai Bias is real and that he dislikes our tiny hero

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I have a theory about the potential "Spirits" mode and how it relates to the darker tone of the reveal trailers we've seen so far. The trailers definitely seem to focus on building up antagonistic characters - Ridley, Dracula/CV Monsters, K.Rool, even the Inkling trailer seemed to imply that Smash itself was something threatening.

Others have theorized that this implies that the Spirits mode is going to focus on some kind of story - and for any story to work, you need conflict, especially antagonists.

In K.Rool's reveal, they showed Meta Knight as Kirby's rival. And while accurate, there are definitely more interesting threats in the Kirby universe. I think the darker tone of the Smash trailers implies that we'll finally get to see a bit of the darker parts of the Kirby franchise represented somewhere in Smash's Spirits/story mode. Specifically, some kind of Boss Character: like how Dracula and Rathalos have been confirmed to be called (and similar to how Rayquaza and Porky were in SSBB.)

There's a number of possibilities: Dark Matter's sword-wielding form, Dark Meta Knight, Marx, Magalor, even Galacta Knight... all have a pretty strong following.

But one user recently called attention to how the Zero Assist Trophy was specifically labeled as "Zero (Mega Man)". Labeling this trophy with the series name when none of the other Assist Trophies got that treatment leads me to think there is another major Zero in the game.

And of all of Nintendo's Franchises, Kirby's "Zero" most certainly has the most recognizability, as one of the series' most recurring bosses.

So what does this mean for Dee's chances? Well, I suspect with all the current information we have regarding Dee surviving both Assist Trophy cullings and the introduction of Chef Kawasaki AT, Dee seems like he might be the focus of a Kirby Team VS Zero character trailer. The trailer might even update the "Rivals" picture to include Kirby/Meta Knight AND Bandana Dee and Zero.

I wouldn't count on Zero being playable, but his inclusion in the game seems likely to me. And adding a new antagonist seems like a good chance to show off a new character (similar to Dracula/Simon).

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
on another note what original move would you give Bandana Dee? because after seening King K Rool's counter it feels like it fits him well but it was never shown to be a part of his original moves to my knowledge.
I've been imagining this one move for him where he plants his spear and then spins around it into a flying kick. Maybe not special move worthy, but it's a super cool image I think of when I imagine him fighting.

To add to that, I sorta feel like Sakurai would go with an "overlarge weapon" angle with Bdee, having him wield a full size--or at least bigger than in his games--spear, in spite of his small size. He would still be able to perform all his famous moves, but the size of the spear would make his animations awkward and cute, like he's trying his best. So naturally, he'd have some moves like the above, where he moves around the spear instead of the opposite. I feel like this could really fit with his personality.

And another idea...if event matches are back, I'd love to see one where the entire RtDL cast teams up against Ridley or Rathalos, recreating the Landia fight. If they used Ridley for it, they could even have you fight four shrunken Ridleys after the big one is defeated.:grin: They could use Landia's boss music too, to really sell it.

Edit: Ooh, and to add to that larger spear idea...he could stand with it upright in his idle animation, like the Dees in Epic Yarn, and even nod off against it. All the while, the spear serves as an offensive hitbox, much like Link's shield works when idle. If he has the parasol as well, that could serve as an alternate defensive version, to reference how it functions in the Kirby series.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory about the potential "Spirits" mode and how it relates to the darker tone of the reveal trailers we've seen so far. The trailers definitely seem to focus on building up antagonistic characters - Ridley, Dracula/CV Monsters, K.Rool, even the Inkling trailer seemed to imply that Smash itself was something threatening.

Others have theorized that this implies that the Spirits mode is going to focus on some kind of story - and for any story to work, you need conflict, especially antagonists.

In K.Rool's reveal, they showed Meta Knight as Kirby's rival. And while accurate, there are definitely more interesting threats in the Kirby universe. I think the darker tone of the Smash trailers implies that we'll finally get to see a bit of the darker parts of the Kirby franchise represented somewhere in Smash's Spirits/story mode. Specifically, some kind of Boss Character: like how Dracula and Rathalos have been confirmed to be called (and similar to how Rayquaza and Porky were in SSBB.)

There's a number of possibilities: Dark Matter's sword-wielding form, Dark Meta Knight, Marx, Magalor, even Galacta Knight... all have a pretty strong following.

But one user recently called attention to how the Zero Assist Trophy was specifically labeled as "Zero (Mega Man)". Labeling this trophy with the series name when none of the other Assist Trophies got that treatment leads me to think there is another major Zero in the game.

And of all of Nintendo's Franchises, Kirby's "Zero" most certainly has the most recognizability, as one of the series' most recurring bosses.

So what does this mean for Dee's chances? Well, I suspect with all the current information we have regarding Dee surviving both Assist Trophy cullings and the introduction of Chef Kawasaki AT, Dee seems like he might be the focus of a Kirby Team VS Zero character trailer. The trailer might even update the "Rivals" picture to include Kirby/Meta Knight AND Bandana Dee and Zero.

I wouldn't count on Zero being playable, but his inclusion in the game seems likely to me. And adding a new antagonist seems like a good chance to show off a new character (similar to Dracula/Simon).
I really like this idea, I could easily see Bandana Dee celebrating with Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede in the middle of the trailer, but then a large shadow looms over them... revealing Zero as they then cut to gameplay footage of the Kirby Krew fighting him.

Actually, now that I think about it, Star Allies has been hinting at something related to Zero, so maybe they're bringing him back because they know that Sakurai decided to give Zero a big role in Smash, or vice versa? Either way, I hope Zero (preferably in his Zero Two form) does show up, if anything, just for some major Kirby representation for a game that Sakurai wasn't directly involved in (voicing Dedede in 64 aside). Plus, it could give non-Kirby fans a taste of the kind of creatures that Kirby faces on a regular basis... maybe even increasing interest in the Kirby series itself!

Man, seeing Zero in HD would be sooo cool...

Last edited:

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
An original move for bandana dee would be the beam whip in my opinion (he doesn’t use it ever in game)or a waddle dee throw

Hero044

Smash Cadet
Can you add me to the supporters list? The dee is my fourth most wanted character Abdul I believe he will be in.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
n K.Rool's reveal, they showed Meta Knight as Kirby's rival. And while accurate, there are definitely more interesting threats in the Kirby universe. I think the darker tone of the Smash trailers implies that we'll finally get to see a bit of the darker parts of the Kirby franchise represented somewhere in Smash's Spirits/story mode. Specifically, some kind of Boss Character: like how Dracula and Rathalos have been confirmed to be called (and similar to how Rayquaza and Porky were in SSBB.)
I have the impression that Kirby and Meta Knight are looking at something/someone offscreen and NOT at each other, but that seems to be just me...

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I agree on that statement on waluigi. If your mostly going to meme a character NO one will take you seriously. I get there are jokes to be made about a few characters. but if its the ONLY thing or the biggest thing that comes out of that character then what do you expect?

Ehhh... I still feel bad for Waluigi. I don’t think his fan base really memes him that much, I think that’s just big YouTubers who want to be funny, not realizing that they make all Waluigi fans look like jokes.

As for Bandana Dees moveset, hmmm... He’s hard to think one up for but easy at the same time, so I’ll try to create one.

Obviously his A attacks can literally be ripped straight out of Return to Dreamland. Kirby is really the base for Smash Bros. so it functions exactly the same, so they can easily take his A attacks from his one major appearance as well as Rainbow Curse.

As for Specials;

1) His neutral special should be the charged spear throw. In the games, Bandana Dee can charge up his spear attack, leading to throwing three spears if charged up properly, so this could be a good neutral special for the character.

2) His up special would be the spear copter from Return to Dreamland. In Return, he can use his spear and twirl it like a helicopter to jump like everyone else, so this would make for a recovery similar to DK’s

3) His Down special would be a canon. In Return, there was a canon item you could find that would give off a few shot before the canon would explode itself. The move could probably limit the shots down to 3-4 before needing to be thrown as it will explode. Another potential idea for this move could be the tank version from Rainbow Curse, he just wears a helmet that fires upon opponents.

4) Finally, his side special should be the Stomper Boot from Return. The boot bounces forward, burying anyone that gets in the way. The attack is powerful, but is slow to compensate.

Taunts;

1) Up Taunt - Waving to reference his appearance in the audience of the Masked Dedede fight.

2) Down Taunt - Throwing a blue star, referencing how he gave Kirby items in the 3DS titles.

3) Side Taunt - Singing/ Humming the Apple Juice Song, while in a recent title, one reference probably wouldn’t hurt the Smash team.

Final Smash; Megaton Punch, luckily Bandana Dee’s been training so he breaks his opponents through the planet.

Colors;
1) Standard
2) Red (Rainbow Curse)
3) Green (Rainbow Curse)
4) Yellow (Rainbow Curse)
5) Cyan (Unused Rainbow Curse color and Star Allies)
6) Sailor Hat (Metaknight’s Revenge - Sailor Waddle Dee)
7) Gold (Kirby Squeak Squad - Regular Waddle Dee color)
8) Yellow with Red Face (Kirby’s Return to Dreamland - Carry Dee)

Does this work as a moveset? I know there’s no original moves, but Bandana Dee doesn’t really need any.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
My most wanted for Ultimate in terms of returning vets (Mewtwo, Sonic) and newcomers (Ridley and King K Rool) are all confirmed, so I’m happy to support you guys in your hopes for Bandana Waddle Dee.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Colors;
1) Standard
2) Red (Rainbow Curse)
3) Green (Rainbow Curse)
4) Yellow (Rainbow Curse)
5) Cyan (Unused Rainbow Curse color and Star Allies)
6) Sailor Hat (Metaknight’s Revenge - Sailor Waddle Dee)
7) Gold (Kirby Squeak Squad - Regular Waddle Dee color)
8) Yellow with Red Face (Kirby’s Return to Dreamland - Carry Dee)
Wouldn't the Red colour be the standard? Bandana Dee's always been slightly redder than most Waddle Dees.
dctitle.PNG
I think a Dream-land grey colour like Kirby's white and Dedede's gray costume would be a better substitute. (Though I wouldn't mind standard as an alt)
Also, as much as I'd like to see it, I personally don't think he should have different headwear for different costumes. That would just add fuel to the fire that is "Hat Goomba". I think Meta Knight's colour, or the regular Waddle Dee colour with a white bandana with some thin blue stripes would work as a substitute for the Sailor hat.

But otherwise, I do like the moveset you've shown.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Wouldn't the Red colour be the standard? Bandana Dee's always been slightly redder than most Waddle Dees.
View attachment 157261I think a Dream-land grey colour like Kirby's white and Dedede's gray costume would be a better substitute. (Though I wouldn't mind standard as an alt)
Also, as much as I'd like to see it, I personally don't think he should have different headwear for different costumes. That would just add fuel to the fire that is "Hat Goomba". I think Meta Knight's colour, or the regular Waddle Dee colour with a white bandana with some thin blue stripes would work as a substitute for the Sailor hat.

But otherwise, I do like the moveset you've shown.
Sorry, I was reading the Wiki for Alternate colors, I thought there was a red costume in Rainbow Curse, but that’s probably default.

Honestly, I think the sailor hat should be included. People who think he’s just a Goomba with a hat will think that regardless of what you do. Waddle Dees have always played a bigger role than Goombas in Kirby’s titles, why not represent the species as a whole instead of just Bandana Dee. Plus fans want it as you said with your interest.

I do like the idea of the Black and White, it could represent Gameboy Waddle Dees, add the gold from Squeak Sqaud, and the yellow and red for Carry Dee, and he could have some unique colors.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I was reading the Wiki for Alternate colors, I thought there was a red costume in Rainbow Curse, but that’s probably default.

Honestly, I think the sailor hat should be included. People who think he’s just a Goomba with a hat will think that regardless of what you do. Waddle Dees have always played a bigger role than Goombas in Kirby’s titles, why not represent the species as a whole instead of just Bandana Dee. Plus fans want it as you said with your interest.

I do like the idea of the Black and White, it could represent Gameboy Waddle Dees, add the gold from Squeak Sqaud, and the yellow and red for Carry Dee, and he could have some unique colors.
I can see what you mean, but I'm also personally iffy on changing Bandana boy's most defining trait, design wise. (Edit: I still really like the sailor hat tho it's GOAT.) But that's how I view it.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Another thing to note is that Kirby only had 31 music tracks in Smash 4.

In Ultimate, the series now has 39 tracks. We know one of the new ones is (yet another) Air Ride remix, so that's 8 new songs we don't know of. Some could possibly be tied to Dee

Also new stages generally come with 7-10 new music tracks, although idk if that matters now that music is sorted by franchise

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Another thing to note is that Kirby only had 31 music tracks in Smash 4.

In Ultimate, the series now has 39 tracks. We know one of the new ones is (yet another) Air Ride remix, so that's 8 new songs we don't know of. Some could possibly be tied to Dee

Also new stages generally come with 7-10 new music tracks, although idk if that matters now that music is sorted by franchise
If there isn't at least P.R.O.G.R.A.M. in some capacity I think I'm gonna burst.

StormC

Smash Hero
In K.Rool's reveal, they showed Meta Knight as Kirby's rival. And while accurate, there are definitely more interesting threats in the Kirby universe.
None of those "interesting threats" are playable in Super Smash Bros., unlike literally every character seen in the rivals montage.

Top Bottom