• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Anyone else think the reason for them not announcing fountain of dreams is that they're saving it for the Bandanna Dee trailer?

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
Yea,i also now just realized another simularity between captain toad and bandana dee is that there is a sailor toad

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee was confirmed as a Mii costume. Even after waking waking up I wasn't sure if it was real or not. I tried to see everyone's reactions on this thread in my dream but it was gone. I even convinced myself it was just Kirby's Ridley copy ability before waking up. Thank goodness he's still in the running!

D

Deleted member

Geez that would be a nightmare, thank goodness his chances are high still.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream last night that Bandana Dee was confirmed as a Mii costume. Even after waking waking up I wasn't sure if it was real or not. I tried to see everyone's reactions on this thread in my dream but it was gone. I even convinced myself it was just Kirby's Ridley copy ability before waking up. Thank goodness he's still in the running!
Oof, a true nightmare.

Meanwhile I dreamed that Bandana Dee, alongside every other character in smash flash 2 (including the anime characters) were announced all at once.
I was just speechless in that dream.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Oof, a true nightmare.

Meanwhile I dreamed that Bandana Dee, alongside every other character in smash flash 2 (including the anime characters) were announced all at once.
I was just speechless in that dream.
I think that would've been a worse dream for me. As much as I like Bandana Dee, I think I'd be pretty disappointed with all the anime characters and the lack of many 1st party Nintnedo ones. I seem to always get bad dreams about smash, so I wouldn't put it past my brain to come up with something else worse in a few nights lol.

D

Deleted member

I mean I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan, and Goku fan, but if he actually got in, I'd have no idea how to respond. Least Bandana Dee would be in.

But anime characters like Goku... Yeah that kinda makes me shudder.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Having Luffy would be a huge plus of getting every SSF2 character. Besides, ignoring the anime characters, there are multiple characters that would make fine additions to the roster. Namely Isaac, Lloyd, Chibi-Robo, Bomberman, and Black Mage.

Deespacito

Smash Rookie
Lads are there any good mods of kirby games where you play as BD? I'm trying to find a hack of RtDL that allows you to play the whole campaign as BD but so far the best I've found is using a cheat to hack him in every level, however that doesn't work when you get to the parts of the level where the Super Copy Abilities are necessary.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I’d say it’s moreso heavily implied. Still, if you count that as canon, that’s another Sakurai game that Bandana Dee is in.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, technically it's not 100% confirmation since you could say that they just wanted some sort of visualization for 64 Waddle Dee and Bandana Dee was the closest since the Parasol Waddle Dees would have been in the multiplayer colors...

But hey, it's the little "nudge nudge wink" towards the headcanon that I've always wanted, so I'm happy to see it regardless.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Yeah, technically it's not 100% confirmation since you could say that they just wanted some sort of visualization for 64 Waddle Dee and Bandana Dee was the closest since the Parasol Waddle Dees would have been in the multiplayer colors...

But hey, it's the little "nudge nudge wink" towards the headcanon that I've always wanted, so I'm happy to see it regardless.
They would've just done it with Parasol Waddle Dee had they wanted to be more accurate.

I mean it's flat out illogical to question it at this point. It's like saying the Dedede in Star Allies isn't the Dedede from 64. The point of the clip was to show the entire Crystal Shards crew

D

Deleted member

That's pretty cool if true, a waddle Dee becoming a fearsome and determined warrior and beloved spear weirder.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
They would've just done it with Parasol Waddle Dee had they wanted to be more accurate.

I mean it's flat out illogical to question it at this point. It's like saying the Dedede in Star Allies isn't the Dedede from 64. The point of the clip was to show the entire Crystal Shards crew
Well like I said, a Parasol Waddle Dee would have been either yellow, blue, or green since Kirby was there, while Bandana Dee has regular Waddle Dee colors like 64 Dee by default. But I guess since they're the devs they could have made the Parasol Waddle Dee the regular colors outside of Guest Star huh?

To be clear, I don't mean to question it, I think that Bandana Dee = 64 Dee only makes sense, is the best option storywise, and I do believe that they're the same person. I just don't want to be burned a bit on the off chance they happen to go out and confirm that Bandana Dee is a separate Waddle Dee for whatever reason, since a little clip at the end of a quick gameplay showcase video isn't as cut and dry a confirmation as the director Tetsuya Kamiyama stepping in and confirming that B. Dee = 64 Dee. That's just me though.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So about the color thing...

614865A0-A21F-4333-843C-CAB3EB72AFA5.jpeg

They didn’t care that the Waddle Dee in Marx’s trailer was blue. This suggests to me the use of Banadana Dee over Parasol Dee in Adeleine’s trailer was deliberate.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
So about the color thing...

View attachment 154127

They didn’t care that the Waddle Dee in Marx’s trailer was blue. This suggests to me the use of Banadana Dee over Parasol Dee in Adeleine’s trailer was deliberate.
Well to be fair, I think there's a bit of a difference between a Waddle Dee that serves as a background element in one cutscene of Super Star compared to a Waddle Dee that serves as a primary character throughout 64. But that's still a good observation, and definitely more evidence that they're one and the same.

I apologize for coming off as a bit of a naysayer. I do think that this little clip is evidence that the two are the same, it's just that it's not 100% confirmation, just heavy implication as you said, and I've always been wary of taking things as absolutes when there's still room for doubt, even when the room for doubt is as slim as this case.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Well to be fair, I think there's a bit of a difference between a Waddle Dee that serves as a background element in one cutscene of Super Star compared to a Waddle Dee that serves as a primary character throughout 64. But that's still a good observation, and definitely more evidence that they're one and the same.

I apologize for coming off as a bit of a naysayer. I do think that this little clip is evidence that the two are the same, it's just that it's not 100% confirmation, just heavy implication as you said, and I've always been wary of taking things as absolutes when there's still room for doubt, even when the room for doubt is as slim as this case.
It's extremely cut and dry.

They showed the Kirby 64 group. They showed Bandana Dee.

You can think of how they justified it in any way you want, and maybe those reasons are true, but the end result is the same: Bandana Waddle Dee is considered part of the Crystal Shards cast. I mean there's literally no room for doubt. It's official published media.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee is Waddle Dee Canon Confirmed! Edit: Go to 1 minute mark in video.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Despite a few recent "leaks", I'm optimistic that Dee will still be one of the newcomers. I have a hard time believing that Return to Dreamland alone doesn't provide enough material for a workable moveset.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
It's extremely cut and dry.

They showed the Kirby 64 group. They showed Bandana Dee.

You can think of how they justified it in any way you want, and maybe those reasons are true, but the end result is the same: Bandana Waddle Dee is considered part of the Crystal Shards cast. I mean there's literally no room for doubt. It's official published media.
I'm sorry that I think too hard about these things, I'm just don't feel comfortable taking this as 100% confirmation when there's the possibility that they used Bandana Dee as a visual representation of 64 Dee since he's the closest thing, since 64 Dee isn't a playable character, and the Parasol Waddle Dees would be different colors. Like, the team might just view it as the closest thing they could get to the 64 crew rather than the 64 crew itself. You can say that it's ridiculous to take such minute possibilities into consideration and yeah, it probably is. But that's just who I am.

Look, you're probably right that they deliberately meant for this to indicate that they're the same. I'm not trying to deny that, I'm just wary of speaking in terms of absolutes when we don't know for sure what the intentions of the dev team are. I'm just gonna shut up about this now because I'm really coming off as if I don't think that Bandana Dee is the 64 Waddle Dee when the opposite is true. I mean, it's basically confirmed, I'm just an idiot that thinks too hard about things is all.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'm sorry that I think too hard about these things, I'm just not taking this as 100% confirmation when there's the possibility that they used Bandana Dee as a visual representation of 64 Dee since he's the closest thing since 64 Dee isn't a playable character, and the Parasol Waddle Dees would be different colors. Like, the team might just view it as the closest thing they could get to the 64 crew rather than the 64 crew itself. You can say that it's ridiculous to take such minute possibilities into consideration and yeah, it probably is. But that's just who I am.

Look, you're probably right that they deliberately meant for this to indicate that they're the same. I'm not trying to deny that, I'm just wary of speaking in terms of absolutes when we don't know for sure what the intentions of the dev team are. I'm just gonna shut up about this now because I'm really coming off as if I don't think that Bandana Dee is the 64 Waddle Dee when the opposite is true. I mean, it's basically confirmed, I'm just an idiot that thinks too hard about things is all.
Hey, I feel you. I was the naysayer not long ago with that whole direct leak, when in came to the Mother 3D thing. I did it during Smash 4 speculation too, with Shulk--I actually questioned the ESRB leak, as in real, moving footage of Shulk in action.

Sometimes, you question something because you just can't risk getting your hopes up if it might not be true. Usually, the people who do this are some of the ones who want it most of all.

In this case, I believe this is confirmation...but I can't shake that little nagging doubt that says it might not be. I never say anything is for certain. We're talking years of headcanon hopes here, lol. If it were confirmed, it would be beyond hype. And it wouldn't surprise me if HAL came out and said it soon, considering how thoroughly they appease our every fanservice hopes. I'm going to be watching for Adeleine's pause description (or Dee's trophy in Smash) to finally settle this once and for all.

But for now, I'm choosing to cautiously believe this is true.:)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Despite a few recent "leaks", I'm optimistic that Dee will still be one of the newcomers. I have a hard time believing that Return to Dreamland alone doesn't provide enough material for a workable moveset.
Yeah, I don't see why leakers are bashing his chances, saying it's because he has no real moveset potential. Even though star allies and return to dreamland give him a pretty much full moveset already.

D

Deleted member

I also believe Bandana Dee will be one of the newcomers, his chances are good he, has chance.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting on Taranza, I love that little spider dude. I'd actually like to see him as an Assist Trophy too.

Net317

Smash Rookie
I will be so genuinely heartbroken if Bandana Dee doesn't make it in. I've never played a Kirby game, yet I'm such a fan of him! Please Sakurai. He has every single tool to be a great fighter. I would play as him endlessly. He has my full support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Susie is the Dream Friend I'm looking forward to the most.
Hopefully she uses her mech.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
With Adeleine confirmed and Marx, Gooey and the Animal Friends already in, I pretty much have all the Dream Friends I wanted already. The only other one I would've really liked is a Nago/Pitch/ChuChu combo, but I know that's impossible now, lol.

Granted, I am still excited for Magolor. The others are all icing on the cake.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
With all this talk of Dream Friends, I wanna ask, what's your guy's favorite Kirby game and why?

Mine would have to be Triple Deluxe. It seems to be the least favored compared to Returns, Robobot, and Star Allies, but there's something about this game that I really love. The friendly environments with the incredibly pleasant music (Do you guys remember the soft Peanut Plains remix in that game? Lovely stuff), the fun little puzzles, and especially being able to play as Dedede. I actually really love how the game gives Dedede some spotlight when Meta Knight tends to get more attention (Though I find Dededetour and Meta Knightmare Returns equally fun for different reasons).

I honestly just wish that Bandana Dee got more focus in this game. I find it odd how he had such a passive supporting role when the driving focus of the plot is trying to save Dedede. Like it would have been cool if he dropped in from time to time to clear a pathway for Kirby or help him fight a horde of enemies. Well, I suppose he got the better end of the deal than Meta Knight, who didn't show up at all (technically).

MattX20

Smash Hero
The first Kirby game I ever played was Super Star, and I consider it to be my favorite for its great controls, graphics, music/sound design, and gameplay

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Kirby Air Ride. Bit of an odd choice, but playing that game with friends is some of the most fun I've had with a video game; you have not LIVED until you have gotten four people together to play City Trial, I tell you! Now all that game needs is a sequel...
Oh, and in terms of main-line games, Return to Dream Land, Super Star Ultra, and Star Allies get honorable mentions.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Return to Dreamland is my favorite mainly because it’s the first Kirby game I’ve played but also because of its fantastic music, stages (The bosses in particular are a highlight for me), and because the Super Abilities are just so damn cool to abuse.

Also using this post to state my support for Bandanna Dee getting in the game, it just seems so perfect to have Bandanna Dee get in as he’s basically the 4th main character of the Kirby franchise at this point, and having a spear user is unique and awesome at the same time!

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Return to Dreamland is my favorite mainly because it’s the first Kirby game I’ve played but also because of its fantastic music, stages (The bosses in particular are a highlight for me), and because the Super Abilities are just so damn cool to abuse.

Also using this post to state my support for Bandanna Dee getting in the game, it just seems so perfect to have Bandanna Dee get in as he’s basically the 4th main character of the Kirby franchise at this point, and having a spear user is unique and awesome at the same time!

Top Bottom