• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ban Luigi's Mansion as MK

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
So, assuming you're in a tournament with advanced slob picks, this is pretty much the best option (in my opinion.)

Assuming you're determined to play MK the entire set (like I am,) you should ban this stage for fear of playing any heavy character, particularly snake, on it.

Example:

You're in a MK ditto match one, and you are victorious. Your opponent opts to take you to Luigi's Mansion. You now have a chance to change characters. You stay as MK, because he's your main and the character your most comfortable with. Your opponent now changes to Snake.

You are now offically ****ed. Snake can and will live well into the 200th percentile on this stage. He will bounce around like a god **** ball and will be unable to be killed. Also, this stage makes mines and grenades notoriously difficult to manage. Your ability to use your aerial movement to approach is essentially destroyed.

Basically, if you play at Luigi's Mansion, you're going to be forced to counter-pick a character like DeDeDe, or face extremely compromised situations in round two or three.

My logic extends beyond that; none of the neutrals are bad stages for MK, even if Lylat is included. Also, in a world where your only unfavorable matchup is Snake, it makes sense to ban stages to avoid seeing him as a counterpicked character.

Comments?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
doesn't snake and his box of toys, y'know, blow up the mansion?

sorry,, had to say it funny like that, but i actually mean it respectfully and seriously. Will the destruction of the mansion be frequent enough to give mk a chance to KO?

GodotAA

Smash Ace
Luigi's Is not a bad level for metaknight.

And versus Snake its not bad at all.
the only problem your gonna have is that its just snake

ive brought snakes to luigi's mansion and had no problem.
The level limits how snake can kill you while as MK you can still do stuff

Snakes mines and nades. ummmm go around them the level is big enough.

Also snake can live to 200 on any level with good DI.

and metaknights approach is not destroyed there is something called a shield grab

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Luigi's Mansion is #1 on my list of stages I like to counterpick. The bottom section of the level makes it nearly impossible to kill Metaknight and if you stick to the sides you can easily kill with your downsmash. You can also kill heavier characters by doing the up throw in the middle of the level; it kills DeDeDe around roughly 160.

And if all of that isn't enough you can also completely reset your hit decay after you kill someone by doing your down tilt on the pillars on the bottom. The bottom pillar section will not break unless the top pillar has been broken.

I've had several people strike this stage at the beginning of the match purely because they've played me on it before and know that I'm good on it. It is, IMO, Metaknight's best stage.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Is not a bad level for metaknight.

And versus Snake its not bad at all.
the only problem your gonna have is that its just snake

ive brought snakes to luigi's mansion and had no problem.
The level limits how snake can kill you while as MK you can still do stuff

Snakes mines and nades. ummmm go around them the level is big enough.

Also snake can live to 200 on any level with good DI.

and metaknights approach is not destroyed there is something called a shield grab

Wow, if Snake is living to 200 percent against you on normal stages, I think it's more than his D.I.

The level is big but Snake can completely dominate a single floor of the mansion no questions asked.

Shield grabbing is not an approach in Brawl - none of your post makes any sense.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
use the second floor to your advantage, use drill rush and tornado, use down smash, gimp, win.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
use the second floor to your advantage, use drill rush and tornado, use down smash, gimp, win.
I know how to play MK, I've beaten a bunch of good players in MK dittos and have had a lot of success with him at tournaments.

It's a known fact that Snake has a good match-up with MK. I'm elaborating on why I think banning Luigi's Mansion is a good idea. Either way, your post was incredibly simplistic.

D-smash to Gimp!? Who would of ever thought of that. Anyways, someone brought up the fact that you can reset your stale moves by D-tilting (or whatever more you want) the pillars. This is true, but it works both ways. It's none the less viable and should be taken advantage of.

Still, I argue that MK has a ridiculous time killing Snake on the level. A much harder time than normal, and I don't feel like Snake's difficulty killing you changes much. This is probably due to the fact that Snake 95 percent of the time outright kills you and doesn't edgegaurd /gimp. The same is not true for MK.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Luigi mansion is a good stage for metaknight, he'll survive longer, and he can use his tornado to manuever through the built mansion. But it is also a good stage for snake. So it could go either way.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Wow, if Snake is living to 200 percent against you on normal stages, I think it's more than his D.I.

The level is big but Snake can completely dominate a single floor of the mansion no questions asked.

Shield grabbing is not an approach in Brawl - none of your post makes any sense.
Seriously...a snake in the cave of life will live for eternity especially since MK doesn't have a lot of options for KO'ing. Maybe for another matchup I would be happy with the mansion, but definitely would go with another stage and not taking such a gamble on luigi's mansion.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Seriously...a snake in the cave of life will live for eternity especially since MK doesn't have a lot of options for KO'ing. Maybe for another matchup I would be happy with the mansion, but definitely would go with another stage and not taking such a gamble on luigi's mansion.

Yeah, and my logic is that snake is your only "bad" match-up, so your stage ban should be to avoid a bad match-up if they opt to change characters match 2 or 3.

Consider there's so many other good stages for MK, like Norfair..even Lylat is good against a lot of characters.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I forgot to mention this earlier. But Meta Knight could just grab a character and up-throw them. And now your on the roof top, and after Meta Knights up-throw lands on the rooftop, its shuttle loop time for the KO. It just takes one grab to change the situation. Problem solved!
Your welcome. :)

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to mention this earlier. But Meta Knight could just grab a character and up-throw them. And now your on the roof top, and after Meta Knights up-throw lands on the rooftop, its shuttle loop time for the KO. It just takes one grab to change the situation. Problem solved!
Your welcome. :)
Oh, touche. A good idea if you do end up playing on this unfortunate map.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
wtf Luigi's Mansion bad for MK? I always counter pick that stage and WIN on it. You have to realize MK dies to upwards KOs very easy so....if you have a ceiling above you, YOU CAN'T DIE. Not to mention the pillars help with porjectile spam and you can camp the first floor and u.tilt / uair and keep them out, or guard the sides and hit them when they come down. Oh and the ceiling allows for you to tornado all day and they can't get out. Learn to play this level, it's amazing for MK.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
OR....... try and leave one peace of the building left so it turns in to a FD like map

blazingIKE33

Smash Cadet
Luigi mansion is a good stage for metaknight, he'll survive longer, and he can use his tornado to manuever through the built mansion. But it is also a good stage for snake. So it could go either way.
i agree completely. luigis mansion is one of mk's good stages. he has a lot of room to maneuver in.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I'm in the boat of people who counteripick this stage all the time as MK to the point where everyone bans it against me.

Metaknight can truly shine here because he can now survive well, and gains incredible combo ability inside the mansion.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Mansion screws around with projectile game some.

While he doesn't rely on it, Snake has a fair amount of projectile game.

Metaknight doesn't have, and needs no, projectile game.

And Luigi's Mansion is a problem for Metaknight here? Because of the cave of life? It's nowhere near as bad as Temple's or Skyworld's, as both of the cave sections are smallish. If anything, it might save you from Snake's ridiculous up-tilt. I don't see how it's a problem for Metaknight, since Snake is immortal anyway.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Mansion screws around with projectile game some.

While he doesn't rely on it, Snake has a fair amount of projectile game.

Metaknight doesn't have, and needs no, projectile game.

And Luigi's Mansion is a problem for Metaknight here? Because of the cave of life? It's nowhere near as bad as Temple's or Skyworld's, as both of the cave sections are smallish. If anything, it might save you from Snake's ridiculous up-tilt. I don't see how it's a problem for Meta Knight, since Snake is immortal anyway.
Snake's Grenade's aren't really screwed by Luigi's Mansion at all. In fact, the level makes them harder to avoid.

As for saving you his u-tilt, that's true. But I will point out that snake has 5 + more kill moves than MK. Snake is so much more likely to be able to abuse the "Cave of Life" aspect of this stage.

at LM, MK dies at slightly higher percentages. At LM, Snake just doesn't die. Though, the U-throw is a good method for getting him out of the bottom / killing him post 200 percent, however it doesn't really combo into anything.

Also, Snake has a lot of hitboxes that go above him. MK has almost none, so approaching him from the second level is hard.

Edit: Apologies to the person for not seeing his comment on U-throw.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
So, assuming you're in a tournament with advanced slob picks, this is pretty much the best option (in my opinion.)

Assuming you're determined to play MK the entire set (like I am,) you should ban this stage for fear of playing any heavy character, particularly snake, on it.

Example:

You're in a MK ditto match one, and you are victorious. Your opponent opts to take you to Luigi's Mansion. You now have a chance to change characters. You stay as MK, because he's your main and the character your most comfortable with. Your opponent now changes to Snake.

You are now offically ****ed. Snake can and will live well into the 200th percentile on this stage. He will bounce around like a god **** ball and will be unable to be killed. Also, this stage makes mines and grenades notoriously difficult to manage. Your ability to use your aerial movement to approach is essentially destroyed.

Basically, if you play at Luigi's Mansion, you're going to be forced to counter-pick a character like DeDeDe, or face extremely compromised situations in round two or three.

My logic extends beyond that; none of the neutrals are bad stages for MK, even if Lylat is included. Also, in a world where your only unfavorable matchup is Snake, it makes sense to ban stages to avoid seeing him as a counterpicked character.

Comments?
i agree with you.. heavy characters can be a problem there... but i actually don't have too much of a problem with it.
it's pretty big so it makes up for the fact that mk can be killed quickly... you can really take adavantage of the stage by staying in the middle of the mansion and trying to to get hit out of it... example- if someone hits you with f smash or any smash and u hit the ceiling .. tech it .. just stqay in the mansion and it wont be as big of a problem.

killing heavy chars there is a lot harder for mk than it is for them though still.. but what i did last i played snake in tournament there (his counter pick) is i survived in there by teching and stuff.. had to get him to 180!!! before i could kill him lol.. what i did at 180 was lure him to the center of the mansion (where u can jump through) and i up threw him ... we landed on the top of the mansion and he was dead :bee:

i really dont think its that good for snake vs mk.. but other heavy weights i dont think u should go there against.... ban it vs DK for sure... idk about dedede.. doest seem to bad but i havent played him in that stage yet..

wow i totally didnt notice you mentioned the up throw -Aether- lol.. pretty smart of u :)
it is very hard to kill snake here though, yea.. just try to stay in the mansion is all.. i wont ban it vs him cuz i think there are much more annoying stages to think about... and i handle the mansion well.. but whatever stage u hate most vs him

in my opinion.... ban corneria for sure... up tilt kills at like 60 O_O.. grenades will even kill you at a low... same with down b.
it just isnt a very good mk stage at all........ he needs smaller stages really...

UnicornTears

Smash Rookie
any character can beat any character on any stage its just how you use the stage and your character to your advantage
Thanks for saying absolutely nothing. Characters have inconsequential to unbelievable advantages on certain stages. Players of equal skill playing on a biased stage will always favor one character over the other. Puff on mute city was extremely good just like dedede on fd is extremely good.

And aether does know what he's talking about. He has beaten kirbstir and plairnkk in a really large brawl tournament.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i switch to sheik for luigis mansion, you can tilt lock almost anyone to about 150% and then do a dsmash and send them out, its dumb how good it works

Top Bottom