• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BAM8 - May 13-15th - CQ hotel - Melbourne AUS

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
It's just not very exciting having internationals steam roll the bracket. It would be nice to have an actual Australian major for once without internationals in the bracket

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
It's just not very exciting having internationals steam roll the bracket. It would be nice to have an actual Australian major for once without internationals in the bracket
Which was looking pretty promising for a while until now. just kind of removes the hype of seeing a good grand finals for melee.
lmao

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
It was pretty much agreed in the melee community to not sponsor any internationals for melee so we could have a decent Aus major with majority attendance for once. #onenation #freeausmelee #armadasgirlfriend

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Or just... You know... Someone get good and beat the internationals maybe?
Maybe another state can host a major that's worth attending one day, and this won't be a problem..

Jamwa

Smash Champion
i'd hate to miss out on the opportunity to play esam, but i guess going one spot further in bracket is worth keeping him out of it

especially since he's only here for this tournament, we only have to deal with this problem once, so it makes sense to do it

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
It doesn't really have anything to do with the summit stuff though.

It's not about moving one spot further in the bracket either. Id be surprised if anyone thought watching ESAM roll us in grand finals is more entertaining than seeing smopup vs SD grand finals or seeing if nick or billy could pull out the win.

In the interest of the AUSTRALIAN scene I find that to be more valuable than seeing ESAM beat us.

Also come on max, saying "git gud" is a dumb contribution. May as well get good and win Evo while we're at it.
Edit: also no other state can match a Vic major. You guys have the biggest player base. We pull 30 man locals. Why would Vic want to travel to that? It's not our fault that our scene isn't as big. If you have a way of forcing strangers to play something they don't want to I'd be interested to hear it though.

Last edited:

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
i mean part of the reason why i go to VIC for tournaments is because they're ALWAYS the best run in australia
obviously good smash contingent being there is another factor but you know

but anyway ESAM is like barely in MIOM top 100 and honestly anyone who makes top 8 in vic majors can be considered to be enough of a good player to possibly also be part of the low end of the top 100, just you know we barely go to america and so people don't know of us (at least this is my understanding when i read about people who don't make it into SSBMrank but get honorable mentions.)

anyway

who says we don't get an all AU major next year?

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Traveling frequently isn't really an option that is available to many people. It's extremely hard for me to get even one day off to come for BAM. It's easy to be from VIC and criticize other states for not being as awesome as VIC is but if I have to chose one national tournament a year it's probably going to be the biggest Vic major that I attend.

So I think that's most of the reason that VIC nationals end up being the biggest. And all I'm saying it would be nice for the biggest aus national to have a hype aus only grand finals.

Also no, ESAM is going to roll us.

Splice

Smash Hero
I liked your post Rob coz it was written good and your points on all issues are worthwhile, however I don't agree with the notion of removing the internationals from Melee at BAM.

Even though you are travelling (thankyou for being a part of the hype and contributing to a stacked major tournament), you're not the only one travelling and not the only entity to be catered towards, and you'll find that reasons for having ESAM compete are also justified.

A lot of people consider the spectacle to be enhanced by a player that represents the international skill pool competing against our best. It can be good for viewers but more importantly, good for a lot of spectators at the event.

-
Some of the other top players who want to win against other Aussies like yourself, still want the opportunity to fight ESAM as well. It's important for you to note that it doesn't matter whether this is a pipe dream or not; if people want to tackle ESAM as a threat, and further. if spectators want to entertain the thought of ESAM's defeat while cheering on their boys, then it's an asset to have him play - even if he does crush us. I believe this group includes Spud, who is travelling quite far as you are.

-
Personally I feel kind of babysat at the notion of having Internationals sit out from our brackets - despite this I agree that BAM7 suffered from too many of them, but I don't think this will be the same.

I believe that with only one real Melee threat on the table, we will be able to see which Australian player reigns supreme via a very hype Losers Finals - and that's assuming you're right that none of us will have a shot at ESAM.
It won't be like BAM7 where highest placing Aussies were tied 7th and many met their demise to double internationals, I think you can agree that BAM8 will still allow for a lot more aussie vs. aussie competition than that. I can foresee arguments similar to the tune of "lose to ESAM and then bad matchup", but at least if you can surely rock every other Aussie on the day of BAM8, you WILL come at least 2nd. Even without ESAM, bad PvP or character matchups can chaotically influence results.

This obviously works on the assumption that the other internationals are not as good as our top players in Melee; but I don't think I'm wrong about this. I will know for sure a week prior to the event.

-
While your arguments are simple and reasonable, I think you'll find these are too and I hope you could enjoy a tournament that would still be a great gauntlet of Australian matchups, despite the hindrance you see in ESAM's attendance.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Billy pretty much summed up my thoughts, there are still going to be LOADS of incredibly hype Aussie vs Aussie matches.
AND we get to see the best Aussie players potentially take down one of the best Samus players.
AND we get to see one of the best Samus players style on people.

I honestly believe removing Internationals(Especially ESAM) from the bracket only takes away from the tournament. Yeah it makes it way harder for an Australian to win, but what if we do win? How ****ing awesome would that be!?!
What if we don't beat ESAM? We have an Aussie player come 2nd! and I really don't see how that's so horrible.

Like Billy said, we will still have an amazing top16 (All of which is Bo5 btw) where all of our best players will get to play each other anyway, just some people get unlucky and will have to play the internationals on their way to the finals.

Also, a good major isn't determined just by having a high attendance. Everyone knows that. A good major needs to have a large amount of really focused, skilled and passionate players. It also needs to have good TO's making sure everything runs efficiently, a good venue with space of plenty of setups so everyone can stay entertained, and a fantastic top 8/16/32.
All of these things together is what makes good majors memorable. This is achievable by every state and region.
Removing this years internationals only takes away from this.

edit: I wrote thing under the assumption that the other Smash4 players aren't that great at melee anyway and probably won't make top8.
I'd wet myself if someone like Abadango or Nairo pull out some ****ed Sheik/Falco and knock ESAM out anyway.

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
why cant losers finals be hype lol? and why would anyone here be scared of a samus, she's a low tier :054:

anyway, i think it's super good getting taught how to play in bracket. and if it's a close match, even better.

CF_Spud

Smash Rookie
You guys forget, you have the defender of Oceania right here :^)

kelots

Smash Cadet
Spuds officially Australian now?

Edit: other kiwis are going woot

Last edited:

cheese619

Smash Ace
Hey Dread/Attila/someone else do you know when the Smash 4 Ruleset is going up? I want to run it for our last Canberra monthly before BAM so we can get some practice in.
The boys from the Berra are pretty keen for BAM :dkmelee:

Splice

Smash Hero
I might be wrong or outta line here but I'm gonna assume its our monthly ruleset;

Starters: Battlefield/FD/Smashville/T&C/Lylat
Counterpick: Dreamland
2 stocks
Same ban/strike method as melee iirc (because 6 stages)

Pudgetalks Pudgetalks would probably know though

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7

Gords

Smash Champion
need to get on pudge about internationals
I I tried a few days ago and have heard nothing back yet. Ill try again but I already registered. I paid for doubles but if i end up not teaming with any internationals is it possible to get my doubles entry back?

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
I I tried a few days ago and have heard nothing back yet. Ill try again but I already registered. I paid for doubles but if i end up not teaming with any internationals is it possible to get my doubles entry back?
As it looks on the donation standings you will def get an international partner

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely zero break b/w top 64 and top 8?
Better talk to addy daddy bout some supplements.
Sorry sam this is the closest we can get to a balance between fitting everything in and giving as much leeway as possible to competitors towards having a fighting chance into pro bracket.

If we sought to give you guys a break then we needed to cut pro bracket to 32 instead. Hope you understand.

EDIT: Schedule patch 1.1 - Saturday slightly changed to avoid clashes between multiple game entries.

Last edited:

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
And after two long years I'm not going. Sorry guys I really have to straight up quit tournaments, getting to them is pretty much impossible. Hope to come back in a few years.

And I was just starting to get the hang of Melee, darn.

Top Bottom