• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U BAM8 Donation Drive for International players

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I said I brush them off? mmm righto.

"I'd give them an equally bland and open answer" such as 'you should work on your combo DI/practice follow ups/work on your edge guarding etc etc aka bland and open.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
You have to realize, if you are suddenly put in a new place where you dont understand the meta and everyone is soooo much worse than you, its hard to give good advice.
M2k gets to play somebody in like 1 or 2 matches, thats no where near enough time to fully analyze and learn a player to the point where you can give them a good idea of what areas they really need to work on and how.

I see a lot of bad players give other bad players advice that they just sorta regurgitate and then think giving advice is easy, its actually quite hard in such a short time to give really useful advice that is exactly what that player needs to hear, and a few people got advice from m2k and then didn't understand it because they didn't understand the game enough to understand what he was trying to tell them.

Once you can think about a game on a really deep level it can be very hard to go back and think on a very basic level, most likely m2k didnt understand why players couldn't grip the most basic parts of the game and would have had no idea how to tell you to understand those basics.

The biggest thing of all though, is people expecting that a top level player can come down and you can learn heaps from them in such a short time or a few matches.
In order to get better you'd have to play a player for many hours across a few days, one short session with a few matches isnt going to teach you much if anything, and so expecting to just suddenly improve from that is both shortsighted and unfair to the international. Whilst voting keep this in mind and also keep in mind that smash 4 is still being developed and explored so its harder to put you on the right track for improvement because the tracks are still being made (whereas this isnt really the case in melee)

Finally, expecting to just get better from top level players doesnt really work if you are too far behind them, the idea has always been that the better the player you play and the more he kicks your ass the better you'll get from player him, but there is a limit.
You'll improve a lot more if the person beating you isnt too far ahead of you, that way you'll be able to grasp why you are losing, but if they are light years ahead of you you'll just get ****ed and really have no idea whats going on.

P.S also there is no shortcut to getting better, if you think playing a top player is a 'get good quick' device, and especially if you feel entitled to some advice after playing them, then you dont have the right attitude.

ThatLaggyPerson

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so4n7p

You might want to ask Vinnie if he still wants to come to BAM... He might not.

And it seems I havent put my vote yet, so...

1. Nario
2. ESAM
3. Ranai
4. Abadango
5. Mr.R
6. Rain
7. 9B
8. Komorikiri
9. ANTi
10. Ally
11. Umeki
12. Vinnie

Last edited:

Empire~

s a d b o y s
1. Nairo

2. ESAM

3. Ally

4. Anti

5. Abadango

6. Ranai

7. Mr. R

8. 9B

9. Komorikiri

10. Rain

11. Umeki

12. Vinnie

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ok so update post.

First thing is i have a $20 donation from a "Brandon Pereira" through paypal on 26/12/2015, if someone knows who that is please let me know!

Second thing is I just got a $400 donation from Jack "Pudge" Gorman, $50 of that is his own dollars and $350 of that is dollars raised by the S@S crew.

I also will have an update for voting to date, including donation contributions later tonight.

Last thing is i have made it so donations is even stronger for voting with $10 being 1x vote, this is to not only encourage people to donate more, but because if someone contributes heaps, their vote should matter heaps!

With the donations today, we are only $155 short of at least 1 Japanese player!

Also, who would like a 5 gods poster ( http://moxie2d.deviantart.com/art/THE-MELEE-GODS-528749196 ) but for smash 4 players that attend BAM8 instead?

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
As promised, here is the rankings updated with all donator bonuses included too:

esam 1
nairo 2
Ranai 3
9b 4
ally 5
abadango 6
anti 7
mr.r 8
komorikiri 9
rain 10
vinnie 11
umeki 12

Smash @ Swanston

Smash Rookie
1. Esam
2. Ranai
3. Nairo
4. 9b
5. Ally
6. ANTi
7. Mr. R
8. Komorikiri
9. Abadango
10. Rain
11. Vinnie
12. Umeki

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
tbh if esam wins his sponsor should pay for a lot of the flight, not entirely paid for by aussies. you could probably save a lot of money there to pay for a japanese player to come as well.

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
tbh if esam wins his sponsor should pay for a lot of the flight, not entirely paid for by aussies. you could probably save a lot of money there to pay for a japanese player to come as well.
Panda Gaming has very little to gain by having Esam come down here, especially since the cost is so high

Browny

Smash Hater
It'd be lame though if the donations all go to one guy who travels all over the place anyway paid for by a sponsor, instead of someone who rarely gets to travel and it would be less than half price to get a Japanese player here.

Just saying you could get twice, if not more, as many players if people manage to convince sponsors to pay for flights and the community paying for unsponsored players.

Last edited:

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
It'd be lame though if the donations all go to one guy who travels all over the place anyway paid for by a sponsor, instead of someone who rarely gets to travel and it would be less than half price to get a Japanese player here.

Just saying you could get twice, if not more, as many players if people manage to convince sponsors to pay for flights and the community paying for unsponsored players.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, I'm saying it isn't going to happen.
I love the japanese people they are all really awesome but 95% can't speak japanese, so their help would be very limited

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman

The community is paying for them which means it's the community's choice. They voted him up so he is the one they want. Sponsors aren't going to pay for their player to come down here smack us around and be out of money, it's not feasible when they can be sent to an American tournament for a third of the price. An American local would earn them more money than bringing them to bam. Building on what Pudge said more Japanese players =/= value. You speak Japarreno? cause there's about 3 people off the top of my head in the smash community that do. You wanna pay for some translators or fly a translator down or stick pudge with 5 Japanese players so he can run around like a headless chicken trying to direct them? Far less people would be able to communicate with Japanese players so therefore the only value is to watch them play in tournament and silently play friendlies. This curbs the value of what the player can bring when they come over. Flying a player down isn't just about them participating in the tournament, it's about them spending time with the people who sponsored them down here and a player that speaks English removes barriers that can make that difficult.

End of the Day, the person you see at the top is the majority vote, so that person is obviously the one that people want most.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy

Feel free to try talk to a sponsor yourself rather than be an armchair general

I've had direct talks with both Alex Garfield and Jack Etienne before as well as already liaising with PG people, they don't care about Australia, we provide less stream views than a xanadu weekly, less prize money than any decent series in America, and cost 20x more to go to than any American tournament. There's not a single thing for them to gain by helping bring a player here.

They would be happy with their players simply not coming even if it meant them paying for 1/10th of the cost.

MGK

Smash Apprentice
1. Esam
2. Nairo
3. Ranai
4. Abadango
5. umeki
6. Mr R
7. Ally
8. Anti
9. 9B
10. Rain
11. Vinnie
12. Komorikiri

I'll also be donating 75$ this Saturday at this monthly. ^_^

Wish Vermanubis could make it .... Love his :4ganondorf:.

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
1. Esam
2. Nairo
3. Ranai
4. Abadango
5. umeki
6. Mr R
7. Ally
8. Anti
9. 9B
10. Rain
11. Vinnie
12. Komorikiri

I'll also be donating 75$ this Saturday at this monthly. ^_^

Wish Vermanubis could make it .... Love his :4ganondorf:.
Good hustle on the donations, we're gonna be there any minute now.

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Going to change my vote after seeing the tourney yesterday.

1. Esam
2. Ranai
3. Nairo
4. Abadango
5. umeki
6. Mr R
7. 9B
8. Komorikiri
9. Ally
10. Anti
11. Rain
12. Vinnie

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
Also this is a call to arms for everyone
Going to change my vote after seeing the tourney yesterday.

1. Esam
2. Ranai
3. Nairo
4. Abadango
5. umeki
6. Mr R
7. 9B
8. Komorikiri
9. Ally
10. Anti
11. Rain
12. Vinnie
for counting's sake pls edit your orignial post and delete that one incase we double count.
Also PSA for everyone, if you're coming to the melee ranbat you can hand me your donation as Redact won't be there

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Does anyone know the English speaking proficiency of each of the Japanese players?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
There is an ACT player who can speak fluent japanese, he doesn't play too much but he might be willing to go to BAM and be a translator

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I'm sure there will be a number of players who are willing and able to act as translators, but it's still a less favourable method of communication. This won't be like Genesis where there will be 20+ Japanese players who can hang with each other, anyone we bring will be an integral part of the community and a language barrier makes that integration much more difficult.

EDIT: In light of Pudge's post below, I'm changing my vote:
1. Esam
2. Ranai
3. Abadango
4. 9B
5. Mr. R
6. Nairo
7. Komorikiri
8. Umeki
9. Ally
10. ANTi
11. Vinnie
12. Rain

Last edited:

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
Ok finally donated. Here's my list:

1. Mr.R
2. Anti
3. Ally
4. ESAM
5. Nairo
6. Ranai
7. Abadango
8. 9B
9. Komorikiri
10. Rain
11. Umeki
12. Vinnie

Gonna make an appeal for Mr.R. The guy's a total homie, plus he's very good at providing critiques. He runs paid lessons on his stream (where he provides notes), so if he's up for it when he comes here, you could make a purchase for some great lessons. Consider putting him one or two places higher on your list.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Updated with donations,

I'm going to extend the voting phase until the 14th of Feb, but no other dates are changing.

Don't forget to edit original posts when changing votes, I'm sure there's some changes after #G3

Also don't forget we can still add more people, so if you guys can somehow get me in contact with ZeRo, or want Dabuz or anyone else, let me know and if there is enough interest ill definitely try make it happen!

PS!

Smash Rookie
NNID
psionics23
1. Abadango
2. Mr.R
3. Rain
4. Ranai
5. ESAM
6. Nairo
7. 9B
8. ANTi
9. Komorikiri
10. Ally
11. Umeki
12. Vinnie

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
Ok finally donated. Here's my list:

1. Mr.R
2. Anti
3. Ally
4. ESAM
5. Nairo
6. Ranai
7. Abadango
8. 9B
9. Komorikiri
10. Rain
11. Umeki
12. Vinnie

Gonna make an appeal for Mr.R. The guy's a total homie, plus he's very good at providing critiques. He runs paid lessons on his stream (where he provides notes), so if he's up for it when he comes here, you could make a purchase for some great lessons. Consider putting him one or two places higher on your list.
lcin u ****in legend

YungSoren

Smash Rookie
1 - Mr.R
2 - ANTi
3 - Ranai
4 - ESAM
5 - Abadango
6 - Nairo
7 - 9B
8 - Ally
9 - Komorikiri