• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Version 2 Release

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Those are included in the downloadable gct, I'm not sure why you'd want to "add" them.

In any case, for add codes to your gct, it depends on the tool you're using for create it and the one you're using to load it. In Ocarina Cheat Manager, for example, just add them to the codelist (the .txt file), check/uncheck the proper ones and create the gct. Then, remember to copy or move it from the folder it is ("root:\data\gecko\codes") to the folder "root:\codes", so when you run Stack Smash. it will load the recently created file.

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
Those are included in the downloadable gct, I'm not sure why you'd want to "add" them.

In any case, for add codes to your gct, it depends on the tool you're using for create it and the one you're using to load it. In Ocarina Cheat Manager, for example, just add them to the codelist (the .txt file), check/uncheck the proper ones and create the gct. Then, remember to copy or move it from the folder it is ("root:\data\gecko\codes") to the folder "root:\codes", so when you run Stack Smash. it will load the recently created file.
Wow, I completely missed that. :ohwell: Thank you anyways. Okay, how would I, say, get colored shields in BB. I know there's a code for it, i'm just not sure how to put it in.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
iirc, there's a .txt file with the codes on the BBrawl download.
All you have to do is open this .txt and paste the new code(s) there, and then use the program to create the .gct file, making sure of check the basic BBrawl codes like No tripping, Replays, Omnibus, etc. and the ones you want to add
For example, I have added: Colored Shields, sub-stage select, ZSS and Shiek on random, Trippy colors and Disable exiting result screen until replay is saved.

Crimson Lancer

Smash Rookie
Hi, all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Love Balance in games almost more than actual mechanical ingenuity (but would prefer both), so obviously Balanced Brawl is a dream come true!

Anyway, anyone have some ideas on what could work to make Marth just a tad bit better, but also less formulaic in his basic attack style? I know he's already a fairly good character, but due to his Specials being generally useless in comparison to his Air attacks, I just end up Ken-comboing all day. He has very dynamic movement patterns, a challenging recovery game to perfect, and Counter could be interesting here or there, so all-in-all, I always think, "Oh, yeah! I should play Marth again! Why did I stop playing him again? He has so many interesting variables to his moveset..." Thirty minutes later, it's the same 3-stock match of F-air, F-air, B-air, U-air, spike or whichever smash attack works best at the moment for the kill - wash, rinse, repeat. After maining Lucas all the time, it's utterly dull. His grab game is understandably garbage, Sword Dance feels like you get the same effect as a few F-airs but with way more effort and has no real kill potential, Dolphin Slash is pretty much recovery only, and Shield Breaker/Counter are both exceedingly niche moves in comparison to his basic A-attacks.

Anyway, enough negativity; I was thinking no helpless state after Dolphin Blow would seriously breathe some life into his gameplay just for starters, but some more input on this kind of thing would really be great. :)

Crimson Lancer

Smash Rookie
Actually, my CPUs learn to dodge spike kills pretty quickly; it's simply hard to avoid Marth's shorthop F-air due to the speed and range. It's a very effective tactic, even with a nerf and move decay.

I'd just love to see his Specials see some improvement.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I don't think he's talking about game balance. I think he's saying Marth's playstyle is boring. But... that's why there are like 35+ characters in the game. If you don't like Marth's playstyle, it's not Marth's fault; find another character. You have plenty to pick from.

On the other hand, I've often thought it would be cool if his up special didn't go into helpless when used from the ground, but it's not really a balance issue, which is what bbrawl is all about. I believe the project specifically does not want to make more than necessary balance changes.

In short, it doesn't matter who he's playing, because he's not talking about balance, but that in itself kind of renders his comments irrelevant to this mod.

Last Elixir

Smash Cadet
I don't think he's talking about game balance. I think he's saying Marth's playstyle is boring. But... that's why there are like 35+ characters in the game. If you don't like Marth's playstyle, it's not Marth's fault; find another character. You have plenty to pick from.

On the other hand, I've often thought it would be cool if his up special didn't go into helpless when used from the ground, but it's not really a balance issue, which is what bbrawl is all about. I believe the project specifically does not want to make more than necessary balance changes.

In short, it doesn't matter who he's playing, because he's not talking about balance, but that in itself kind of renders his comments irrelevant to this mod.
Fair enough! I actually find trying to keep enemies properly spaced to hit with the good parts of Marth's attacks to be pretty engaging, though! (Also Lucas is the most fun character ever.)

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Does anyone know when there will be a BB3 PAL ? If not, can anyone direct me to the download of BB2 PAL, please ? Thanks in advance :)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If this project is still underway, Peach's up-b should be changed so the hits link together and the last hitbox is actually a viable KO move.

It would really help with her juggling and give her another option to punish opponents.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Not to mention help her even more in getting up from the ledge.

Also I have a big post regarding the LGL implementation in BBrawl which I'm not going to bother with if there's not anyone actually going to work on this any more.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Peach do not need that silly buff, she's a very solid character now.

Also, why use LGL on BBrawl if every character is limited to 5 ledgegrabs in a row -without getting hit- before being forced to a standard getup?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Also, why use LGL on BBrawl if every character is limited to 5 ledgegrabs in a row -without getting hit- before being forced to a standard getup?
That's the LGL implementation that I take issue with, lol. A character like Toon Link or Peach who generally has to grab the ledge many times, not because they have good ledge options but because all of their options for getting up from the ledge are ***, and they have to mix up the hell out of them, often without getting hit while doing so.

I can't help but feel a simple reduction to ledge invincibility would serve the same purpose the lgl is trying to accomplish, while not hurting characters that struggle to get back onstage nearly as much. I'm fairly certain that the whole reason the LGL even exists is because of Metaknight, and it just seems arbitrary to have the implementation in such a way that it hurts a character with amazing ledge options like Metaknight and a character with poor ledge options like Link just as much.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm not sure if I would be okay with an invincibility reduction for MK only (InviciNair is very handy in some MUs that depends on the gimp like Marth, DK, etc). In a long run, it would make the game smoother. But in practice, GnW's planking might wreck a lot of MUs, and MK would have some bad ones.

Also, BBrawl team tries to change timings as little as possible.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm not saying MK specific, lol. I'm saying if a global change to planking needs to be made, invincibility reduction >>> arbitrary planking limit.

At the very least, a modification to the treatment of them could be made to allow ledgehops, ledge attacks, and ledgerolls.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's still a fairly important timing change.
Either that, or more reliable getup options overall. That would be a plus for the game itself, as it wouldn't stall in every ledge situation.

King_Mos

Smash Apprentice
It may be the wrong place to post this but I'll do it anyway....

I'm playing PAL version of Brawl (Australia if that matters) and I have loaded v2 through Riivolution and its great! I have added hacked textures with no problems, however when I add CSP, battle portraits etc. through Brawlbox it never seems to work? I have triple checked that they are added to the common5.pac file etc. but in game they simply never work.

Can I used custom portraits etc with Bbrawl? If not, is there a way to load them with Riivolution and still use Bbrawl? Any help would be great!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Newest Bionic's Brawl Riivolution Code (2.5, iirc) is supposed to enable all versions and all file replacing posiblities including textures, sound sets, even movies....
But I'm not sure if it works with PAL...

You can look for it, is somewhere here in the Workshop General.

King_Mos

Smash Apprentice
Thx kyokoro_pamuyo!

Since you seem to know about this stuff (I have no idea :p) Do you know if it is possible to change a particular textures name? eg. Luigi's green is still named luigi, but his purple colour hacked to be Mr. L texture can be named Mr. L?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
In order for they to work, they need to have specific names, so the game can recognize it. As far as I know, there is no way to assign specific files to specific positions without rename them.

Rainierman

Smash Rookie
Hey, had anyone else noticed that the balanced brawl dojo is updated with Balanced Brawl 3 changes? I thought AA and Thinkaman had let that one slip in favor to more important things, but I was wrong! That's nice :)

For whenever they read this though: Jigglypuff is missing her healing rest from her normal change list. It is listed in the technical list; just not in the normal one.

And thanks for everything done! I wouldn't still play Brawl if it weren't for Balanced! :D

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I am a huge fan of Balanced Brawl. Even though I'm not that serious a player, I play BBrawl by myself or with my sister and/or friends quite often, and it feels like a more complete version. I commend Thinkaman and AA for doing such an amazing job.

I've been tampering with stage hacking and have done a few things to already-banned stages due to the awesome system you use for BBrawl, which is admittedly a lot of fun. I'd like to ask about that: besides wifi waiting room, are there any stages in the Brawl Vault (or elsewhere) that you like enough to recommend downloading in place of a banned stage? So far I've replaced New Pork City with Fourside (and love it), Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 with a frozen version that puts the fighters toward the end of the level (and really enjoy it), and a version of Port Town Aero Drive that gets rid of the cars and IMO makes the stage flow better. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Speaking of which, in regard to character texture hacks, I'm trying to put in a (oneslot) Dry Bowser texture hack over the black-and-white Bowser Costume, and I put the file and the BBrawl Bowser file in the same folder, numbered the texture hack like I would normally... and it never shows up. Am I doing something wrong? What should I be doing?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
In BBrawl no extra stage replacements are recommended. That's mostly personal preference.

And some characters like Bowser, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Zelda and Sheik (characters with transformations) needs, along with the .PCS file with the texture, a .PAC file. Be sure to have both.

King_Mos

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know how your supposed to replace the CSP's and battle portraits? I edit the common5.pac with Brawlbox like all guides say, but it never shows up in game. Do I have to move the common5.pac file or rename it or somthing...

It amazes me how these people are so amazing and intelligent to figure out hacking etc. but not one of them can write a comprehensive install guide...

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
The bbrawl bowser is incredibly frustrating to play against. My friend who mains him loves spamming flying slam and abusing fsmash's super armor. And always uses dair and bowser bomb whenever convienant. When I play my best characters (ness link and Lucas) I win, but I usually choose random because it's fun. Any general strategies/tips against bbrawl bowser?

:phone:

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
I am a huge fan of Balanced Brawl. Even though I'm not that serious a player, I play BBrawl by myself or with my sister and/or friends quite often, and it feels like a more complete version. I commend Thinkaman and AA for doing such an amazing job.

I've been tampering with stage hacking and have done a few things to already-banned stages due to the awesome system you use for BBrawl, which is admittedly a lot of fun. I'd like to ask about that: besides wifi waiting room, are there any stages in the Brawl Vault (or elsewhere) that you like enough to recommend downloading in place of a banned stage? So far I've replaced New Pork City with Fourside (and love it), Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 with a frozen version that puts the fighters toward the end of the level (and really enjoy it), and a version of Port Town Aero Drive that gets rid of the cars and IMO makes the stage flow better. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Speaking of which, in regard to character texture hacks, I'm trying to put in a (oneslot) Dry Bowser texture hack over the black-and-white Bowser Costume, and I put the file and the BBrawl Bowser file in the same folder, numbered the texture hack like I would normally... and it never shows up. Am I doing something wrong? What should I be doing?
For the stages, i recomend FD and BF from melee and 64, most of the new stages in P:M are good too (like FoD and JI) also look in my Vault, there are a lot of "plus" stages, GHZ, Hanebow, Rumble Falls etc

For the texture, maybe you puted it like a .pac file, open ir with Brawl box, and save it with the same name, but choose .pcs files

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I was able to fix the texture thing. Thanks for the recommendations!

I saw that I missed some matchup discussions, and I'd like to see f we can bring those back. I'll admit, I can't claim expertise on anything here but I can offer input and discussion.

Particularly, I'd like to talk about Meta Knght and Ganondorf, who are notable in vBrawl for having no negative match ups and no positive match ups, respectively. It would be interesting talking about how exactly that seems to have changed.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm not sure about Ganondorf, few people plays him well and he has a lot of changes on BBrawl, I'm not sure which ones needs to be readjusted (if they are still too bad or too good).

With MK's changes, I'm sure a lot of mid/heavy weights have it a little easier against him, as tornado is much less of a treat now; also, light weights can live a little longer now that his Dsmash and Shuttle Loop was nerfed.
For specifics, Snake takes forever to die and kills early (being MK a lightweight, vetical kills hurts a lot), and Olimar is very hard to approach to, and due to MK's nerfs, slightly more difficult to get offstage and attempt a gimp.
I'm pretty sure Snake and Olimar are bad matchups for him on BBrawl (but both can be juggled and gimped well, so, not too bad MUs, something like 45-55).
I'd love to test Marth, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, even Wolf, DDD or Bowser matchups, they are a lot different now that tornado is pretty much gone and MK's kill options have been nerfed.

Diddy, Fox, Pikachu and Falco are very close to even.
And I'm pretty sure ICs, Wario and Mr. Game and Watch are still somewhat positive.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Ganondorf is one of my mains in BBrawl, and though I'm no tourney player, I have a little input on him.

Ganon kills for a living, and now that he can do what he does best, he has a field day against light characters that get KOd easily. MK, G&W, even Marth and Olimar to an extent. Up-tilt and Wizkick, when used right, do a wonder against thrown or smashed Pikmin, and grabbing pikmin, respectively. (Though I'd change u-tilt from fire to darkness element because of the red pikmin... but that's just me) Wizkick is great for approaching and getting out of being spammed, and he even has flame choke to tech-chase with and build up damage.

He's bad against anyone with good projectiles, most notably link, though Ness and Lucas and Snake work too. Link might even be a little too good against canon, but IDK for sure. sheik and falco also always were problems and are still rough on Ganon. Though tourney play might contradict me on this... if only we had BBrawl tourney play...

I'd test MK too, but I'm really bad with him, especially in BBrawl. Though I'd gladly test my marth and bowser against your MK to see how the matchup is. busy now/today, but perhaps tomorrow or next week I could give you my friend code and try some online matches to test these match ups.

random question: what happened to BBrawl chat? I can't find it on the site D:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ganondorf is still bad. I will say that now. At best, he's around the middle of the pack.

However, I'm very confident in saying he has no completely hopeless matchups. Invincible wizkick is a big, big help against a lot of dumb things. Removal of CGs, a lot of which wrecked him, is very helpful too. However, one of the things in my experience is that he still struggles to get up from the ledge, and that 5 grab timer is a pretty large hindrance when you're doing your best not to get hit when your foe is on a new stock. The unholy uppercut is a big help, but it's honestly not enough.

DTilt trip I'd just like to throw out is completely and utterly useless. Ganon's only followup most of the time to it is another DTilt, due to poor grab range, the inability to reliably land FTilt on opponents who SDI the DTilt, and the very few uses of DTilt already in the first place. Honestly, I'd rather a moderate damage buff on DTilt, making it a legitimate poke, or something to not make the move entirely outclassed by Flame Choke and Dash Attack in utility in all but a few matchups.

There's more, but I have to leave for work.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, hey guys. Sorry Thinkaman and I have been mega-AWOL for quite a while. Life kinda caught up with both of us, especially Thinkaman who as of a few weeks ago is a college graduate. As per our focuses on the project, we hope to finalize a real BBrawlv3 release soon (we have explored some stuff that is quite interesting but kinda tangential so it's not like we've just been completely negelcting the project), as opposed to the current kinda silly "half released" BBrawl3 we have now and make sure we have proper PAL support and everything.

Honestly, this is likely to be the last version of BBrawl, but we don't look at it so much as the project ending as entering the final stage of development. We'd actually like to be able to broaden our net here and try to do a Japanese version and actually put out support for it on par with our NTSC release. That basically means that we would really like to translate the website into Japanese as well. The problem is that neither of us actually speak Japanese nor do we own Japanese Wiis for testing though we are technically proficient enough to make files as needed (though we would need to do some careful research into region specific codes for a JPN version, I'm sure it's not insurmountable). If anyone is or knows someone who can help us on the translation front, we'd really appreciate it. If we can't find anyone, this particular plan ends up going nowhere and we just do the NTSC and PAL versions like before, but we have seen that there are some diverse and interesting people playing BBrawl so we figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Sorry that I'm not going to jump into gameplay related discussion right now even though I always do love a huge post talking to everyone in the thread at once in its own section, but I will say to everyone here thanks for your support and I hope that what is likely our final BBrawl release will provide a good, stable version that you can enjoy for the indefinite future.

King_Mos

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say thx for all the hard work u guys have done. Bbrawl saved brawl for me. Any chance on a simultanious PAL release? Keep up the good work!

:phone:

Top Bottom