• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Oh wow!! Love seeing the updates on this. Thanks again for your hard work.

The new run animation is great! . My personal opinion is that maybe the run should be a little "goofier" or even "flamboyant". As Zombie Saurian noted, maybe DK64's run animation (during the final battle) could inspire something.

Also, I don't know how many other agree with me, but I don't think the DKC TV show K. Rool should be referenced at all. To me, the ideal K. Rool takes exclusively from the Rare games -- especially in terms of appearance and sound effects. I think the only fitting place for TV K. Rool to be referenced is in some of the animations or gestures.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I suggest studying the DK64 running cycle, try mixing that with his run cycle in DKC 1. Whatever you feel is right.
Good idea.
Oh wow!! Love seeing the updates on this. Thanks again for your hard work.

The new run animation is great! . My personal opinion is that maybe the run should be a little "goofier" or even "flamboyant". As Zombie Saurian noted, maybe DK64's run animation (during the final battle) could inspire something.

Also, I don't know how many other agree with me, but I don't think the DKC TV show K. Rool should be referenced at all. To me, the ideal K. Rool takes exclusively from the Rare games -- especially in terms of appearance and sound effects. I think the only fitting place for TV K. Rool to be referenced is in some of the animations or gestures.
Flamboyant? What that means? But i could use DK64's running animation if i'll get proper angles of it.

We don't want to use it for anything outside of animations and extra soundbank if it sounds different enough (if its very similar to his normal voice, then i might use it for default soundbank)

Good and bad news:
Good: Side B is finished.
00000000-74.png

How it works is not final. Nothing is final until final version's release.
K. Rool can freely move after crown is tossed. If used again while crown is still present, he'll just look at the screen and shake his head. Its not supposed to be used on its own due to low knockback. When it travels forward, it has a weak hitbox that deals 7%. When it returns to him (and it aims for spot where crown was, but this isn't intentional), it deals 1% each 3 frames and pushes opponent in K. Rool's direction (unless he moved behind opponent...somehow). This allows him to use slow attacks with lower risk, but crown is pretty small and it doesn't drags opponent with it for too long (depending on opponent's attributes, it ranges from 3-4 hits to 12-13 hits). It also can be reflected (and powershielding reflects projectiles here, so, everyone can do it) and K. Rool is pretty fat and he is not going to win any race in his life, so, it might get him in trouble quickly.

Bad: looks like i can't use new animation even if it looks better without making K. Rool. So, gotta make a new one.

Last edited:

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
Could you make his side b less like the Links' boomerand and instead be multihit? As if it were grinding into opponents?

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Good idea.

Flamboyant? What that means? But i could use DK64's running animation if i'll get proper angles of it.

We don't want to use it for anything outside of animations and extra soundbank if it sounds different enough (if its very similar to his normal voice, then i might use it for default soundbank)

Good and bad news:
Good: Side B is finished.
View attachment 88415
How it works is not final. Nothing is final until final version's release.
K. Rool can freely move after crown is tossed. If used again while crown is still present, he'll just look at the screen and shake his head. Its not supposed to be used on its own due to low knockback. When it travels forward, it has a weak hitbox that deals 7%. When it returns to him (and it aims for spot where crown was, but this isn't intentional), it deals 1% each 3 frames and pushes opponent in K. Rool's direction (unless he moved behind opponent...somehow). This allows him to use slow attacks with lower risk, but crown is pretty small and it doesn't drags opponent with it for too long (depending on opponent's attributes, it ranges from 3-4 hits to 12-13 hits). It also can be reflected (and powershielding reflects projectiles here, so, everyone can do it) and K. Rool is pretty fat and he is not going to win any race in his life, so, it might get him in trouble quickly.

Bad: looks like i can't use new animation even if it looks better without making K. Rool. So, gotta make a new one.
Looks good. Just how I imagined it.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Decided to try out some re-colors myself, as well as adding a Kaptain and Baron costume.
REcolors.png

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
did you draw those? if so your really good, but i still think there should be a brown, red and dark blue referencing the kremling in mario sluggers
I did draw those, and I just used Krusha and Klump (DK 64) as the inspiration for the bottom two.

Last edited:

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
I think K. Rool's arms are too big in general. The hands are too large, the shoulders are too wide, and the arms themselves look too long.

I'd recommend shrinking everything until they're short enough that the tips of his middle fingers reach his knees. Right now he looks like if he stood with his arms down by his sides his hands would clip into the stage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think K. Rool's arms are too big in general. The hands are too large, the shoulders are too wide, and the arms themselves look too long.

I'd recommend shrinking everything until they're short enough that the tips of his middle fingers reach his knees. Right now he looks like if he stood with his arms down by his sides his hands would clip into the stage.
Thats too short for Rare design.

Here, he could touch the floor if he wouldn't bend his fingers. Arms are a bit longer on our model, but mostly because of how long his fingers are. And technically, problem is not that arms are too long. His legs are too short.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Decided to try out some re-colors myself, as well as adding a Kaptain and Baron costume.View attachment 88482
Those are really, really good. The Kaptain and Baron costumes look so natural on him.

Is it possible for Álvaro to make the assets or add on to the K. Rool model to make a Kaptain or Baron version?

Also Bagan, I have two questions about the Finest Hour Victory theme, and about why it sounded so horrible:
  1. Was there any weird sounds such as crackling or other strange noises that were not normally in it?
  2. Was it either too low or too high?
If it was the first one, then that was Audacity screwing up the audio when converting it to .wav. If it was the second one, then it was most likely the type of .wav file (there is 16 bit and 32 bit, 32 bit was the one used for this one, 16 bit for the bonus lose one.) If it was none of these, then the audio was just bad quality, and I can't fix it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is it possible for Álvaro to make the assets or add on to the K. Rool model to make a Kaptain or Baron version?

Also Bagan, I have two questions about the Finest Hour Victory theme, and about why it sounded so horrible:
  1. Was there any weird sounds such as crackling or other strange noises that were not normally in it?
  2. Was it either too low or too high?
If it was the first one, then that was Audacity screwing up the audio when converting it to .wav. If it was the second one, then it was most likely the type of .wav file (there is 16 bit and 32 bit, 32 bit was the one used for this one, 16 bit for the bonus lose one.) If it was none of these, then the audio was just bad quality, and I can't fix it.
Yes, but its his choice. Im too shy to ask for more.

It sounded like old recording from 80-90's.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman

You're should ask, be humble about it. It would add so much more depth into the character. Hell he's already done a Kaptain variant mod for another game.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I could try.

Wait what? Where?
It was a skin mod, but it was this model with his Kaptain attire. To my knowledge it was a LoL mod but don't quote me on that. You can try and find it on the Kremling Kainpainger twitter if you look far back enough.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It was a skin mod, but it was this model with his Kaptain attire. To my knowledge it was a LoL mod but don't quote me on that. You can try and find it on the Kremling Kainpainger twitter if you look far back enough.
I found it and it really is his work. Huh.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I can't fix that, sorry. I can do any other song, so if you want me to make some .wavs for some that aren't on Smash custom music, I'll be happy to. I might just do more as practice, so if I make some decent ones I'll send them here.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Will K. Rool and Ridley eventually get a separate roster slot?
It will happen when PM's clone engine will be better known, so, probably pretty soon.
Would heavily suggest looking over the rig, it looks kinda odd at the moment.
I'll worry about it later, after im done with animations and coding. I've had enough nightmares about that stuff (mostly shoulders and hands). Im not gonna forget it because there are few obvious issues like right thumb's 2nd bone moving verticle on thumb's first half.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Will you be making different sets of codes for your mods (ex. one with Ridley and K. Rool codes, one with all the characters, one with Ridley and Metal Face, etc.)?

I saw a tweet about your mod, showing his idle animation, and I'm wondering where he got this from. You never posted it here, but I do have some things to say about it:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I would try to make it closer to the original stance from DKC, but slow it down just a little bit. And yes, the toes do move a little.

More animations he could do while standing is hit his head a couple times similar to DK64, as I didn't want to do the "Yeah, Thank You" Animation for this:
The last one I have to share is he could do (also from DK64) is pick up his foot and look at it, before shaking it a little. (I know this one doesn't sound too interesting, but it would be a nice little reference to that part of the fight):

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Will you be making different sets of codes for your mods (ex. one with Ridley and K. Rool codes, one with all the characters, one with Ridley and Metal Face, etc.)?
Maybe. Its not hard to do.
I saw a tweet about your mod, showing his idle animation, and I'm wondering where he got this from. You never posted it here, but I do have some things to say about it:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I would try to make it closer to the original stance from DKC, but slow it down just a little bit. And yes, the toes do move a little.
That animation is from KC-MM thread.
This model doesn't looks good with arms like this, but depending on what needs to be changed, i can do it.
More animations he could do while standing is hit his head a couple times similar to DK64, as I didn't want to do the "Yeah, Thank You" Animation for this:
The last one I have to share is he could do (also from DK64) is pick up his foot and look at it, before shaking it a little. (I know this one doesn't sound too interesting, but it would be a nice little reference to that part of the fight):
Youtube again...could someone turn those into gifs? Just part where he does needed animation.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
the rig determines how free you can be with your animations, I highly suggest fixing it up before moving forward
Its not too bad to mess with animations and i don't think i'll want to change his bones' position (not that it will really do much). It has no weird glitches like Ridley's model had either. Besides, outside of fixing obvious rigging issues like one with his right thumb, what im supposed to do with it anyway?

Last edited:

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
that idle animation seems to go by a bit fast, could you show me the same thing at maybe 0.75 or 0.50 speed

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'll get some gifs that showcases his running cycle in DK64, I think it fits this model to a T.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know where this image/model came from?

I'm comparing K. Rool's legs here to the ones in the mod. I get the impression that perhaps making them thicker would give a more natural look to them? Especially to fill in the ''rings'' that are seen right around the spot where the mod's legs and main body connect. Also, this image keeps the legs further apart from each other (maybe its more practical this way)?

The hands are too large, the shoulders are too wide, and the arms themselves look too long.
I agree with the hands and shoulders. The hands especially are way too freakish-looking at the moment.

How much can the model be changed Bagan? Perhaps being too faithful to K. Rool's original design (as in, the Rare CG artwork you posted earlier) is making it harder to implement in a fighting game environment that offers so much free-movement? Not sure if I explained that last sentence well.

In any case, I wish you good luck!

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I love how the model looks right now. It gives him a psychotic/menacing look that really shows his true personality in a way. He looks so freakish and large, and it is awesome.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Here's a bunch of GIFs I made in order to help you have references to make proper animations for K. Rool.

#1 - Intro (possible) -

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/JKrQOF.gif

#2 - Idle Animations -

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/mAIbYm.gif

#3 - Run Cycles -

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/Cau_pb.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/LYhRx2.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/NJQOPf.gif
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/NnCe1D.gif

#3 - Shield Break/Tripping? Walking Animation -

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/12-20-2015/qCiw_I.gif

P.S More to be added, my PC is getting a little slow with all of these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom