• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey Bagan, how did were you able to use Mario's Final Smash stuff for Ridley?
Fake projectiles. I used that FS's GFX, changed it a bit and then added extra GFX following its hitbox so it would look better.
Also, shouldn't that be in Ridley thread?
As for K. Rool: alot, and probably a crap ton more if for some reason he doesn't get into Smash 4 after Dec. 15.
Then i'd better hurry in case it will happen.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Fake projectiles. I used that FS's GFX, changed it a bit and then added extra GFX following its hitbox so it would look better.
Also, shouldn't that be in Ridley thread?
Admittedly, yeah, it should've been there. I might be taking this as more of a general "PSAs by Bagan" thread than I should be.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
And its done:
Would have uploaded it to Youtube if it worked for me, but its blocked for this country again. For some reasons, audio is delayed even though it was fine in original video...thanks, Dailymotion. I missed few times, but whaddya gonna do.
If there will be video of higher quality, i doubt this one will remain.
That was absolutely smashing. That was so gorgeous, I love Metal Face's move-set, I can't wait to try it out. Although, I'd have to agree with Draco, the most glaring problem seems to be the Plasma ball. Although that could be just us.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
I thought I'd drop in and mention that the sounds are taking a bit longer than I thought. I just found high quality versions of the DKC episodes on YouTube, and they're even in the proper order!

I've also been doing some art for the Reality 64 mod, so that's been eating at my time as well.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That was absolutely smashing. That was so gorgeous, I love Metal Face's move-set, I can't wait to try it out. Although, I'd have to agree with Draco, the most glaring problem seems to be the Plasma ball. Although that could be just us.
We'll see when people will be able to use this mod. I haven't seen any reports on it from beta testers.
I thought I'd drop in and mention that the sounds are taking a bit longer than I thought. I just found high quality versions of the DKC episodes on YouTube, and they're even in the proper order!

I've also been doing some art for the Reality 64 mod, so that's been eating at my time as well.
Good to know and i'll check that R64 thing.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, R64 is pretty neat. The character models are being made from scratch to match the art style used on Smash 64's box art and in its instruction booklet. However, since most of Brawl's cast lacks character art in that style, I took it upon myself to create art in that style that could be used for the characters that don't have art yet.

Right now I'm working on Ganondorf, who's appearance is being based primarily on concept art for the Oracle games, since that's already close to 64's art style.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
btw whats metal faces up b
bandicam 2015-12-15 01-02-50-140_1.gif

You can make him move left or right (like with Charizard's Up B...i think), but he won't go very far and it usually fails to properly hit unless he moves straight up.
And if its hard to see what he is doing here, he goes into his jet mode, moves up while spinning and then goes back into normal form.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I can't access youtube, so, if its anything that has any kind of background noice that i can't remove (R.I.P "Weak, weak and pathetic" line from Xenoblade), then i won't be able to use it. If its from a game and it can be ripped, then i could use it.
The video with DK64 sound clips you posted earlier has all the ones I had suggested to use for Star KOs, specifically the higher pitched screams between 0:10 and 0:12. When K. Rool is launched out of K. Lumsy's cavern, you can hear the former use all 3 high pitched screams one after the other.

And it may just be me, but all the other voice clips in that same video you posted (DK64 K.Rool) don't sound as deep as when they're heard in-game. If you can make them just a tiny bit deeper, they'd be perfect to use for your mod (along with the K. Rool clips from other games after lowering their pitch). Or you can use them as they are, and they'll still sound pretty good.

View attachment 86587
K. Rool might be too slow in this mod (even when running), but can't do much without looking ridiculous with those small legs.
Is it possible to make K. Rool's running animation identical to his DKC 1 animation?

those animations are exactly the same. The difference is gfx and sfx. K Rool would look weird reaching for his crown and throwing it one costume, and then reaching for his crown and throwing a boxing glove for the next IMO. But if you can pull it off, i'd be awed and not opposed to it at all.
If K.Rool gets the SNES alternate costumes, the Crown throw can be easily replaced with the Kaptain's Pirate hat and Baron K.Roolenstein's toupée being thrown. The Boxing costume is the most problematic one though.
For those who are not aware, Baron K.Roolenstein not only wears a toupée, but also an upper fake cranium. Thus, his scientist costume's ''Crown throw'' would be throwing the headlight and everything above it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The video with DK64 sound clips you posted earlier has all the ones I had suggested to use for Star KOs, specifically the higher pitched screams between 0:10 and 0:12. When K. Rool is launched out of K. Lumsy's cavern, you can hear the former use all 3 high pitched screams one after the other.

And it may just be me, but all the other voice clips in that same video you posted (DK64 K.Rool) don't sound as deep as when they're heard in-game. If you can make them just a tiny bit deeper, they'd be perfect to use for your mod (along with the K. Rool clips from other games after lowering their pitch). Or you can use them as they are, and they'll still sound pretty good.
That could work i guess.
Is it possible to make K. Rool's running animation identical to his DKC 1 animation?
Identical? No. It looks kinda stiff and i don't think it was made with 3d enviroment in mind. But i could make something similar.
If K.Rool gets the SNES alternate costumes, the Crown throw can be easily replaced with the Kaptain's Pirate hat and Baron K.Roolenstein's toupée being thrown. The Boxing costume is the most problematic one though.
For those who are not aware, Baron K.Roolenstein not only wears a toupée, but also an upper fake cranium. Thus, his scientist costume's ''Crown throw'' would be throwing the headlight and everything above it.
Boxing costume could use his glove for that and while there is no boxing glove, his normal fully rigged hand could be visible.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Well Bagan, you called it. K. Rool was shafted for Smash 4 DLC. You are the hero to many of us. Because of you, our dream characters are becoming a reality. Your mods have me more hyped than anything Smash 4 gave us. I couldn't be more thankful.

So thanks.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Identical? No. It looks kinda stiff and i don't think it was made with 3d enviroment in mind. But i could make something similar.
Cool. The reason I brought it up is because the picture you posted of K. Rool running after Metal Face seemed... abit off I suppose? I guess what put me off was the wide swing of his arms (which stretches his chest awkwardly), thus I think his running animation should keep his arms closer to his body (as in, they'd swing a lot less).

I may have found a victory theme for your mod BaganSmashBros, but it's on youtube. Is there anyway I could get around this, seeing as how you have trouble with that site?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well Bagan, you called it. K. Rool was shafted for Smash 4 DLC. You are the hero to many of us. Because of you, our dream characters are becoming a reality. Your mods have me more hyped than anything Smash 4 gave us. I couldn't be more thankful.

So thanks.
Not sure how to feel about it though. Thanks anyway.
Cool. The reason I brought it up is because the picture you posted of K. Rool running after Metal Face seemed... abit off I suppose? I guess what put me off was the wide swing of his arms (which stretches his chest awkwardly), thus I think his running animation should keep his arms closer to his body (as in, they'd swing a lot less).

I may have found a victory theme for your mod BaganSmashBros, but it's on youtube. Is there anyway I could get around this, seeing as how you have trouble with that site?
Yeah, it does looks weird after thining about it. He puts so much effort while not going far forward.

I can download videos from youtube. It takes a while (1 hour for 20 minutes), but im fine with that.

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps he could use a tail as well? Not a long one that would require rerigging him, mind you. But just a short, stubby tail, like the ones on his minions.

While reading about K. Rool, I learned that he's got a short tail that wasn't included in his GameCube appearances.

My notes are coming along well, but not many grunts that aren't drowned out by the bgm. You might have to use some of the sounds in one of the videos you posted to get some hurt sounds.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord

So thanks.
lol

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841

That's actually clever. But Bagan already said different animations on costumes are possible.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
BTW, check this out: http://smashboards.com/threads/kingjigglypuffs-project-m-throne-room.393855/page-17#post-20601922 I might be harming myself this way, but im doing my own thing and they are doing their own thing.

Perhaps he could use a tail as well? Not a long one that would require rerigging him, mind you. But just a short, stubby tail, like the ones on his minions.

While reading about K. Rool, I learned that he's got a short tail that wasn't included in his GameCube appearances.

My notes are coming along well, but not many grunts that aren't drowned out by the bgm. You might have to use some of the sounds in one of the videos you posted to get some hurt sounds.
If we will add a tail, it must be longer than that. We'd have to make his cape shorter anyway, so, why not make it accurate? And we could make that tail separate from his body's polygon. This would require more realistic tail for him, but he already has those fingers, so, won't hurt to have realistic crocodile tail.

Didn't know about it. Huh.

I expected that to be a problem. Oh well.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
If turns out that MK64 and the team are really far along with K Rool, do you think you'd drop the project? It seems like they've been waiting on this a while, and your K Rool is pretty new. (I think the model should definitely be transferred, though)

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Well I brought it up because in the cartoon, his tail is also absent for some reason, so he has this weird scaly ass that looks out of place on a crocodile.

Hmm. If you do go for a more realistic croc tail, then I could see him having some powerful tail slaps for some attacks. Maybe even the ability to swim faster and for longer than other characters, giving him a mobility advantage on stages with water.

What kind of tail length do you mean by 'longer than that'? Charizard length?

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I can download videos from youtube. It takes a while (1 hour for 20 minutes), but im fine with that.
Nice.

Are you familiar with the song ''K. Rool's Finest Hour'' that played in an episode from the TV show (arguably the only thing worth remembering in the show)? Someone edited out the sound effects and corny lyrics, and left just the instrumental. I'm thinking the part between 0:00 and 0:10 would fit nicely as K. Rool's victory theme. This part is heard again between 0:28 & 0:39, and twice more from 0:57 to 1:17.
Except for the first one, they all have chorus/chanting in the background. Everything else you hear in the video is just awkward lol.

Here's the video, with the URL below it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3f-JRRMWw

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If turns out that MK64 and the team are really far along with K Rool, do you think you'd drop the project? It seems like they've been waiting on this a while, and your K Rool is pretty new. (I think the model should definitely be transferred, though)
No. What im doing is not what they are doing. From what i remember, their mod is for Brawl and my mod is for PM. I didn't drop Ridley because he is in SSB Crusade and he is "official" here.
Well I brought it up because in the cartoon, his tail is also absent for some reason, so he has this weird scaly *** that looks out of place on a crocodile.

Hmm. If you do go for a more realistic croc tail, then I could see him having some powerful tail slaps for some attacks. Maybe even the ability to swim faster and for longer than other characters, giving him a mobility advantage on stages with water.

What kind of tail length do you mean by 'longer than that'? Charizard length?
...um...this model isn't much better with it. In fact, its worse because...well, there's too much of it.

That would work if it would be long, but how long it is depends on how long it was in DKC.

Maybe. Most likely not.
Nice.

Are you familiar with the song ''K. Rool's Finest Hour'' that played in an episode from the TV show (arguably the only thing worth remembering in the show)? Someone edited out the sound effects and corny lyrics, and left just the instrumental. I'm thinking the part between 0:00 and 0:10 would fit nicely as K. Rool's victory theme. This part is heard again between 0:28 & 0:39, and twice more from 0:57 to 1:17.
Except for the first one, they all have chorus/chanting in the background. Everything else you hear in the video is just awkward lol.

Here's the video, with the URL below it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3f-JRRMWw
Will check this out later. Gotta go.

Last edited:

Kamineigh

Smash Apprentice
Well in DKC, it's a stubby little thing, like the ones his minions have, which is why I initially suggested he have an unrigged, immobile tail, since it wouldn't be long enough for it to have any noticeable movements.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Well in DKC, it's a stubby little thing, like the ones his minions have, which is why I initially suggested he have an unrigged, immobile tail, since it wouldn't be long enough for it to have any noticeable movements.
If there was only 1 thing I could change in the model, is to remove the claws on his hands.
I personally prefer his SNES designs where his hands were basic, because they make me think he pummels his enemies with brute strength, but when evil claws are added, that means he'll likely scratch and slash at them, something that doesn't fit K. Rool.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, got 2-3 more minutes.

Its actually pretty long.

If there was only 1 thing I could change in the model, is to remove the claws on his hands.
I personally prefer his SNES designs where his hands were basic, because they make me think he pummels his enemies with brute strength, but when evil claws are added, that means he'll likely scratch and slash at them, something that doesn't fit K. Rool.
Reptiles without claws look weird. And he can do both (slash and punch). I know enough characters with claws that still use punches (for example, Godzilla and Bowser).

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
The video was great Bagan, it was quite smashing.
I'll leave.

I'll be testing out Metal Face more often if it helps, and will see if the plasma ball needs to be nerfed. Honestly, it doesn't seem that bad.

Also, do you have any progress on K. Rool to show us as of now?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The video was great Bagan, it was quite smashing.
I'll leave.

I'll be testing out Metal Face more often if it helps, and will see if the plasma ball needs to be nerfed. Honestly, it doesn't seem that bad.

Also, do you have any progress on K. Rool to show us as of now?
Nothing thats worth showing at least. But i have something worth discussing.

Right now, he is slow. Like Sonic Genesis kind of slow...at least when moving on the ground. If he dashes and jumps, he goes very far forward (more than half of FD). If you keep jumping withoud dashing, he loses momentum and his jumps get shorter (horizontally at least). Should this be left as it is or not? This could be useful and could reference his stomp attack in DKC1.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Nothing thats worth showing at least. But i have something worth discussing.

Right now, he is slow. Like Sonic Genesis kind of slow...at least when moving on the ground. If he dashes and jumps, he goes very far forward (more than half of FD). If you keep jumping withoud dashing, he loses momentum and his jumps get shorter (horizontally at least). Should this be left as it is or not? This could be useful and could reference his stomp attack in DKC1.
Keep it. You should show pictures of the height and distance each type of jump goes, just to give us some reference.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, its not more than half of FD and jumps don't get that much shorter, but i've got a bad memory. Its still pretty far and first jump is longer. Probably can be fixed, but maybe its fine as it is.
1.PNG

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Ok, its not more than half of FD and jumps don't get that much shorter, but i've got a bad memory. Its still pretty far and first jump is longer. Probably can be fixed, but maybe its fine as it is.
View attachment 87941
Yeah just keep it, it is fine as it is.

@latinkling mentioned how you could use part of Finest Hour for a victory theme, which would be a nice reference, but do you have any ideas for some?

I have a few suggestions, you could use
  1. Finest Hour (the one above)
  2. Bonus Lose from the original DKC (as the kongs have bonus win) http://www.smashcustommusic.com/2640 or even edit the beginning of the tropical freeze one if you want.
  3. A section from Gangplank Galleon.
I would included as many as possible so players have many options and are not limited. We could run a strawpoll to see which one people want out of a list and take the top few.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah just keep it, it is fine as it is.

@latinkling mentioned how you could use part of Finest Hour for a victory theme, which would be a nice reference, but do you have any ideas for some?

I have a few suggestions, you could use
  1. Finest Hour (the one above)
  2. Bonus Lose from the original DKC (as the kongs have bonus win) http://www.smashcustommusic.com/2640 or even edit the beginning of the tropical freeze one if you want.
  3. A section from Gangplank Galleon.
I would included as many as possible so players have many options and are not limited. We could run a strawpoll to see which one people want out of a list and take the top few.
I'd like to include at least 2 (probably 1 and 3), but im not good at making those and MF's victory fanfare is example of that.
It's for both PM and Brawl.
Then i've got outdated information.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to include at least 2 (probably 1 and 3), but im not good at making those and MF's victory fanfare is example of that.

Then i've got outdated information.
I can try to edit the Tropical Freeze ones and the Finest Hours ones for you so they work, and make them .wavs. I dont know if I will be able to make them sawnds right now.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I don't think K. Rool should be super slow, he's actually a pretty athletic character and usually fast.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
His walk should be slow like in DK64. His run should resemble his speed in DKC1.
Earlier on this thread, i had suggested Bagan to give K. Rool a special move (Down B) in which he charges up an invisible bar that would allow him to increase his movement speed or his next attack's animation speed, similar to how Project M Lucas can change the properties of his attacks with Neutral B i think.

But Bagan confirmed that programming moves that buff up speed is impossible.

Top Bottom