• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
how is removing all animations for a character who is top priority a good thing?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
how is removing all animations for a character who is top priority a good thing?
It's like that Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game is good eventually, but an incomplete game is bad forever." Just replace 'game' with 'mod' in this circumstance. K. Rool will come eventually and will be great when he does.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
It's like that Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game is good eventually, but an incomplete game is bad forever." Just replace 'game' with 'mod' in this circumstance. K. Rool will come eventually and will be great when he does.
i guess but when i read the quote i instantly thought of mario tennis open smash

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
i guess but when i read the quote i instantly thought of mario tennis open smash
I thought of Pokemon X/Y. That game was so rushed because during the time the 3DS was failing. Nintendo desperately needed a seller and they know Pokemon always sells.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
even if x/y was rushed i still enjoyed it. i don't know anyone who spent 24 hours on open smash

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
so......any updates? its been 9 days
I'm busy right now. Very busy. I must prepare for exams (comprehensive? preliminary? don't know how it's called in english) and since i'm guaranteed to completely fail one of the subjects, i must make sure that i know others perfectly. That leaves no time for modding or food of course. I can afford just taking a look at one page or two, but nothing more than that.
I wish i could properly explain everything instead of writing this mess.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Welp, the exams thing kinda sort of failed gloriously, so, i'll have to try that again during this month and hopefully it won't be in wrong language again...

There is not much to tell, so, here is current status of the characters:
K. Rool:
As you already know, every animation done is going to be scrapped. Their quality unacceptable and his standing pose made it very hard to make other animations. Coding and all of that stuff is still here, so, i won't lose everything, but still. Right now, i'm waiting for his model to be rigged. So far, it's better than what was before. There also might be some things made in the future that i won't spoil. I'll have more than enough time to think of how to animate him at least (crocodile Zangief should work well enough for most of them).
Metal Face:
He still remains in that nearly finished state, but i might have to remake some things. His quality also doesn't satisfy me and there are some attacks that should be replaced either because they don't work well (ground Side B, jab, etc) or there are other things that should have been used for them (DTilt for example). I still haven't replaced his SFX and GFX used for his engine thing when he uses it, but that shouldn't take too much time. At least now i'm not stuck thinking of his taunts and victory animations, so, that's progress i guess.
Kraid:
Wh- i mean put on hold. Model still isn't done and i haven't heard anything from the guy who worked on it. He said he was going to go back to it at some point after February, but looks like something didn't go well. Huh.

(M)

Smash Cadet
Welp, the exams thing kinda sort of failed gloriously, so, i'll have to try that again during this month and hopefully it won't be in wrong language again...

K. Rool:
As you already know, every animation done is going to be scrapped. Their quality unacceptable and his standing pose made it very hard to make other animations. Coding and all of that stuff is still here, so, i won't lose everything, but still. Right now, i'm waiting for his model to be rigged. So far, it's better than what was before. There also might be some things made in the future that i won't spoil. I'll have more than enough time to think of how to animate him at least (crocodile Zangief should work well enough for most of them).
Metal Face:
He still remains in that nearly finished state, but i might have to remake some things. His quality also doesn't satisfy me and there are some attacks that should be replaced either because they don't work well (ground Side B, jab, etc) or there are other things that should have been used for them (DTilt for example). I still haven't replaced his SFX and GFX used for his engine thing when he uses it, but that shouldn't take too much time. At least now i'm not stuck thinking of his taunts and victory animations, so, that's progress i guess.
Kraid:
Wh- i mean put on hold. Model still isn't done and i haven't heard anything from the guy who worked on it. He said he was going to go back to it at some point after February, but looks like something didn't go well. Huh.

Sooooo basically...back to square 1. Everything is scrapped and you're not showing anything? I think you should at least ask smashfified for help and some other experienced people

(M)

Smash Cadet
'Regardless. A lot of people have been waiting. I would have appreciated a small video showcasing what was made

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sooooo basically...back to square 1. Everything is scrapped and you're not showing anything? I think you should at least ask smashfified for help and some other experienced people
Only for K. Rool's animations. Model itself is still same outside of rigging and coding is still here. And what would smashified or other experienced people do?
'Regardless. A lot of people have been waiting. I would have appreciated a small video showcasing what was made
There wasn't enough to make it worth spending several hours to simply upload it. He had animations for movement, smash attacks, tilts, Side B...and that's it. I'd rather wait if that will allow me to show everything polished and make it clear what K. Rool is supposed to be. Those who wanted to have playable K. Rool in Smash have been waiting for years anyway.

Last edited:

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
why kk rool top priority? forgive me but i dont understand the big deal with kk rool, is it because donkey kong doesnt have a bad guy in smash? please dont get all upidy about this i just never understood this, probably because i dont play and donkey kong games but still

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
He was the main villain in one of Nintendo most iconic series. He was the villain in the second greatest TV show of all time. Hes a crocodile with a gun and a awe inspiring voice. Hes heavy, which is good for all the people who use heavy characters like me, and hes a villain with lots of nostalgia to a lot of people. he should have been in at least brawl, i think k.rool is more important than, say zss or falco or lucario or ike.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
why kk rool top priority? forgive me but i dont understand the big deal with kk rool, is it because donkey kong doesnt have a bad guy in smash? please dont get all upidy about this i just never understood this, probably because i dont play and donkey kong games but still
Basically what Kazooie56 said (main villain of a big franchise that really needs some love in Smash) and because he is far more requested than Metal Face and Kraid. If you'll count classic Ridley among those, he is still of higher priority because Ridley got his chance over a year ago.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Besides, K.Rool is our biggest passion project behind Ridley, so best to get him out next so that we can free another position to work on another character.

On another note; I have my school laptop permanently now, so I now have everything I'd need to continue working on mods.

With that said...here's a potential trophy description for K.Rool, if we don't want to use the default one;
The dastardly nemesis of Donkey Kong, this large crocodile is the self-proclaimed King of the Kremlings. His ultimate plan is to take over Donkey Kong Island by stealing the Kong's bananas, starving the Kongs to death and letting them take over the land. He's skilled with technology, and has a keen knack for donning costumed personas. Nobody knows why, but one of his eyes is always bloodshot; maybe he doesn't get enough sleep?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
like i said i havent played a donkey kong game so i wouldnt know
DKC may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like platformers and have some time, download DKC(2, commonly considered the best one) on the Wii U Virtual Console. You'll rarely see any mainstream gaming media outlets praising it (and many criticize the new releases for silly reasons), largely because cartoon animals don't have as much appeal to the 'hardcore' market, but once you dig in, it's got some of the best atmosphere, crisp gameplay and wacky, memorable characters out there. K. Rool stands out among them, since he's one of the few Nintendo villains whose appearances aren't largely 'rinse, wash and repeat.' That's one reason you see so much love for the character online...he's versatile, and he's also been gone for a while, so however he pops up next, it's bound to be new and exciting.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

K. Rool:
Metal Face:
Kraid:
I spoke with Freyark about the Kraid model, he said he's very busy and probably won't get to finishing the textures until months later.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
...well...at least now i know what's wrong...Oh well. Less stuff to worry about.
Yeah, we need to put Kraid on the shelf for another time; it's just too much right now and we need to prioritize certain characters.

Guess that means we've got some time to work on other stuff. Which means the current workload should be;
  • King K.Rool (needs total rerig and animation revamp, plus cosmetics)
  • Classic Ridley (needs finished animations and moveset)
  • Tyrantrum (needs animations and moveset)
  • Metal Face (needs finished animations and cosmetic sets)
Metal Face is pretty close to finished and doesn't need much priority, so I think we can place him at the bottom. K.Rool is our most hyped new character (and needs the most work), so he's the top priority here.

Tyrantrum and Classic Ridley are pretty much swappable in position depending on which we decide to work on more; Tyrantrum only really needs a full set of animations and a functional moveset to do, while Classic Ridley really is close to done, just needing costumes and a finished set of animations and moves.

i was wondering what was going on here as i wasnt getting any alerts for a month and a half....i thought the thread just died off but turns out i just wasnt getting alerts for some reason.....well im glad it didnt die off and im also glad that your are taking your time to make k.rool done right instead of going for the rushed or flawed direction,it shows dedication.

now as you know i have grown quite fond of the model that you use for k.rool so i end up drawing him in that fashion more often,i know that they dont really contribute anything but it might help somehow? i still like showing the fanart that i made based on the model that you are using.

you already know about the previous one so here are the new ones :)

i know the nose isnt really on point with the model as im not good at making depth/facing torward you art but i tried.....also made it into a gif animation with 18 frames.

i like how his eyes and eye veins glow even though i didnt draw that,i think the gif maker did it.

keep up the good work Bagan!

Last edited:

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Yeah, we need to put Kraid on the shelf for another time; it's just too much right now and we need to prioritize certain characters.

Guess that means we've got some time to work on other stuff. Which means the current workload should be;
Metal Face is pretty close to finished and doesn't need much priority, so I think we can place him at the bottom. K.Rool is our most hyped new character (and needs the most work), so he's the top priority here.

Tyrantrum and Classic Ridley are pretty much swappable in position depending on which we decide to work on more; Tyrantrum only really needs a full set of animations and a functional moveset to do, while Classic Ridley really is close to done, just needing costumes and a finished set of animations and moves.
Metal face already has cosmetics?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Yeah and not many are really waiting for him to be done.

Metal Face needs to have few attacks replaced. Current ground Side B isn't very useful, jab can miss if enemy is too close, USmash doesn't looks good, etc. I might also change his idle animation. Something like this should work:

...XC wiki really needs to have its images updated...Anyway, i'm not exactly happy with how things were done with him, especially the item animations, but i don't want to scrap everything.

Tyrantrum also needs to have its rigging fixed (mostly rotation values). Unless that was fixed at some point.
Metal face already has cosmetics?
Only some of them. SSB4 model has those, but not the XC models.
Funny how you're having to argue on GameFAQs about Ridley's size again, huh BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros ? I wonder if any of them will have the same objections to K. Rool.
K. Rool has his own "problems" and it's all a matter of opinion with him, so, i doubt it.
i was wondering what was going on here as i wasnt getting any alerts for a month and a half....i thought the thread just died off but turns out i just wasnt getting alerts for some reason.....well im glad it didnt die off and im also glad that your are taking your time to make k.rool done right instead of going for the rushed or flawed direction,it shows dedication.

now as you know i have grown quite fond of the model that you use for k.rool so i end up drawing him in that fashion more often,i know that they dont really contribute anything but it might help somehow? i still like showing the fanart that i made based on the model that you are using.

you already know about the previous one so here are the new ones :)

i know the nose isnt really on point with the model as im not good at making depth/facing torward you art but i tried.....also made it into a gif animation with 18 frames.

i like how his eyes and eye veins glow even though i didnt draw that,i think the gif maker did it.

keep up the good work Bagan!
If you don't check the thread you are watching, alerts stop coming, but they are back once you visit the thread.

With eyes glowing like this, he looks like a robot or something. Can't help but think of a T-800 K. Rool...that actually sounds like something that could happen in DKC. Maybe not really "terminator" kind of thing and more of "doombot", but still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i recall the old Ridley mod having different voice options. will you perhaps put the Benedict Campbell voice for K.Rool?
Yeah and not many are really waiting for him to be done.
I'm waiting for him but as long as you don't completely drop him i'm okay with it.

anyway looking forward to it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i recall the old Ridley mod having different voice options. will you perhaps put the Benedict Campbell voice for K.Rool?
Maybe. Someone was ripping his voice clips for grunts and stuff like that, but i don't remember who did that or if they got enough.
I'm waiting for him but as long as you don't completely drop him i'm okay with it.

anyway looking forward to it.
I'm not gonna drop him, so, don't worry about that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe. Someone was ripping his voice clips for grunts and stuff like that, but i don't remember who did that or if they got enough.
Huh, well hopefully you remember it or he comes to you.
He did such an amazing job of King K. If our favourite crocodile ever returned officially, his voice is the perfect one behind it. Menacing, long-worded, but goofy enough to fit.
He was one of the main reasons i liked that show, it fits him the best imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The problem with getting clips for Cartoon K. Rool is that, unlike with Metal Face, where you can rip his dialogue pretty cleanly from the game disc (I think?), K. Rool's voice acting is only available on YouTube clips from the show. This means you'd have to not only find enough good clips in general, but enough where there isn't irremovable background music obscuring his dialogue.

As an avid cartoon fan, it miiiight be possible, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work. His DK64 noises would seem to be the better bet for SFX, at least in the short term.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The problem with getting clips for Cartoon K. Rool is that, unlike with Metal Face, where you can rip his dialogue pretty cleanly from the game disc (I think?), K. Rool's voice acting is only available on YouTube clips from the show. This means you'd have to not only find enough good clips in general, but enough where there isn't irremovable background music obscuring his dialogue.

As an avid cartoon fan, it miiiight be possible, but it'd be a hell of a lot of work. His DK64 noises would seem to be the better bet for SFX, at least in the short term.
Actually, you can't cleanly rip Metal Face's dialogue outside of battles with the only exception being the cutscene where he explains how that green liquid works. All fully animated cutscenes have their audio as one file with SFX, music and voices in it and they can't be separated.

Anyway, background noise does sounds like a problem. If it won't work well, then we won't lose much because, if i remember correctly, that voice is close to his 64 voice.

Hurricane Rush

Smash Rookie
"Anyway, background noise does sounds like a problem. If it won't work well, then we won't lose much because, if i remember correctly, that voice is close to his 64 voice."

Here's a reminder of his 64 voice if you forgot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMh4iYv1x8

Personally, I would prefer this one.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
"Anyway, background noise does sounds like a problem. If it won't work well, then we won't lose much because, if i remember correctly, that voice is close to his 64 voice."

Actually his voice is much different. Here's a reminder of his 64 voice if you forgot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMh4iYv1x8

Personally, I would prefer this one over the other one very much.
I remember hearing that it was similar to one of his voices...After checking them both, yeah, there is a noticeable difference between them.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, I think K. Rool should use real life Crocodilian growls and hissing as sound effects. In the Smash series, DK and Diddy forego using their cartoony voice actors from the games (Takashi Nagasako and Katsumi Suzuki) in favor of real life ape sound effects. To potentially use K. Rool's voice actor from some obscure cartoon in the '90s is, not gonna lie, a very ridiculous idea. I didn't grew up with that cartoon, so I have no connection to it. But I do enjoy the DKC games and K. Rool's voice there, so if you ask me go for either that or crocodilian sounds like in this video here.

Top Bottom