• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
While some may complain about two K.Rools being made, I think it's pretty cool.

Each creator has their own twist on the character and own movesets. One has the Classic and the other has the Modern look....

Wait... Modern... Klassic...

K.Rool Generations anyone?

Also sorry for Modern K's Eye. Couldn't find a good picture of MK64's K.rool facing right.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
While some may complain about two K.Rools being made, I think it's pretty cool.

Each creator has their own twist on the character and own movesets. One has the Classic and the other has the Modern look....

Wait... Modern... Klassic...

K.Rool Generations anyone?

Also sorry for Modern K's Eye. Couldn't find a good picture of MK64's K.rool facing right.
Would buy in a heartbeat. Make it happen Retro Studios.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's been so quiet in here lately...makes me excited to see how far along Metal Face/K. Rool will be once the silence is broken!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hopefully this doesn't create some type of divide/competition.
I doubt that's gonna happen.
inb4, the great K. Rool modding war of 2016 happens.

Good news for MF side - i found stuff used in real time cutscenes. That includes animations (or at least should) and GFX like blue energy on his wings and jet engine. Hopefully Metal Face is fully animated even when he barely fits the screen. There are some things that are never seen, but still animated.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, 2 bad news for 2 characters.
1. No one knows how to extract animations from Xenoblade's realtime cutscenes (or at least i haven't found anything on it). Models and textures are fine, but not the most important part. At least i can have proper GFX for his wings and jet engine and it looks nice.

If only i didn't have to give every blue energy ring thing its own rotation values...
2. I'm starting to really hate how i rigged K. Rool. His mouth is fine, but everything else is...bad (especially his arms). I mean...look at how it should be:

Shoulder bones are actually useful here, among many other things. Then look at how i rigged it. I probably should have left it for someone who can rig stuff properly.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Ok, 2 bad news for 2 characters.
1. No one knows how to extract animations from Xenoblade's realtime cutscenes (or at least i haven't found anything on it). Models and textures are fine, but not the most important part. At least i can have proper GFX for his wings and jet engine and it looks nice.

If only i didn't have to give every blue energy ring thing its own rotation values...
2. I'm starting to really hate how i rigged K. Rool. His mouth is fine, but everything else is...bad (especially his arms). I mean...look at how it should be:

Shoulder bones are actually useful here, among many other things. Then look at how i rigged it. I probably should have left it for someone who can rig stuff properly.
I feel as if the Metal Face graphics are goodies, and can as a result be updated in the future akin to Ridley.

As for K Rool.....I can see where you could be having trouble with things such as positioning. However, smash is 2.5D. 99% of layers won't even pay attention to the details from different angles, unless they're purposefully looking to fault your mod.

That's just my 2 cents though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I feel as if the Metal Face graphics are goodies, and can as a result be updated in the future akin to Ridley.

As for K Rool.....I can see where you could be having trouble with things such as positioning. However, smash is 2.5D. 99% of layers won't even pay attention to the details from different angles, unless they're purposefully looking to fault your mod.

That's just my 2 cents though.
It's not hard to see flaws in the rig from side view. It's limiting what i can do and it caused me to restart whole animation several times. It's not a good sign when it rarely happens with others (it still happens, but most of the time, i just keep working on the animation until it's done).
BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros

Does this mean Ridley is already finished? :o
No unless you're talking about one with Other M Ridley. But classic Ridley is close to being done. I could probably even show him in action.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
do it in style please
But Ridley has no style. He has grace, but no funny face because expressions are limited with him.

Anyway, i wanted to keep that Ridley for K. Rool trailer, but because that's not gonna happen for a while and i'm impatient little f***...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Maybe it's just my own ignorance, but even looking at that bone chart, I can't see the problem with that K. Rool model. It's all looked great so far, and it'll only get better moving forward as more animations get finished.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just my own ignorance, but even looking at that bone chart, I can't see the problem with that K. Rool model. It's all looked great so far, and it'll only get better moving forward as more animations get finished.
If you were looking at image above, it's not my model. It's Álvaro_WS's rig. My model looks like this:
ScreenCapture370.png

Posed it like this to show obvious problems with it (mostly arms). And then there are little gems like this:
ScreenCapture371.png

I could have done it so much better. Kinda rushed it at the end.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
It's not hard to see flaws in the rig from side view. It's limiting what i can do and it caused me to restart whole animation several times. It's not a good sign when it rarely happens with others (it still happens, but most of the time, i just keep working on the animation until it's done).
I remember the user named drogoth232, predicted something like this would happen way back on Page 9 of this thread.
Would heavily suggest looking over the rig, it looks kinda odd at the moment.[...] the rig determines how free you can be with your animations, I highly suggest fixing it up before moving forward
He must have a damn good eye for having seen flaws that early on... I honestly never saw anything problematic with the model, but then again, I don't know anything about rigging :(

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I remember the user named drogoth232, predicted something like this would happen way back on Page 9 of this thread.

He must have a damn good eye for having seen flaws that early on... I honestly never saw anything problematic with the model, but then again, I don't know anything about rigging :(
I remember it too and it's not surprising considering that he's been doing this kind of thing for a while.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
No. I just have some things that i need to do before going back to this and it's not related to modding.
Ok, good> That's a relief to hear. I was beginning to think that all the modders were on strike. MK64DS has no waluigi news and KJP just posted something a few days ago.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok, good> That's a relief to hear. I was beginning to think that all the modders were on strike. MK64DS has no waluigi news and KJP just posted something a few days ago.
Why would that happen? If there was something happening like this, i would certainly say something unless it's something about Nintendo terminating every Brawl and PM mo

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Urgh...i've been trying to finish MF's last few animations for a month at this point and i just can't think of anything for his 3rd victory animation, side and down taunts. I have lines for them, but i don't know what he should do for them. Can anyone help me with that? I really want to just release him and move on to 2 remaining characters, but i don't want to rush everything to do so. I already have to remake a lot of animations when i'll go back to him after release because i'm not satisfied with their quality.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For Metal Face, maybe he could do stuff like drumming his sharp claws together, sharpening one 'hand' of claws against the other, stomping into the earth powerfully or posing as some energy surges from his cannon(?) as options that could work for various animations.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
For Metal Face, maybe he could do stuff like drumming his sharp claws together, sharpening one 'hand' of claws against the other, stomping into the earth powerfully or posing as some energy surges from his cannon(?) as options that could work for various animations.
First two could work (depends on what first one means), but others don't fit him well.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Make an animation akin to smash 4's when you land the final blow to him on gaur plains. it's sort of like how mario has his old dk arcade dying animation as one of his taunts. And idk if you've thought of this already (but you should have by now since he's a villain) an evil laugh with his claws pointed upward?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Make an animation akin to smash 4's when you land the final blow to him on gaur plains. it's sort of like how mario has his old dk arcade dying animation as one of his taunts. And idk if you've thought of this already (but you should have by now since he's a villain) an evil laugh with his claws pointed upward?
I don't think first one would work well. It just doesn't makes sense (and neither does Mario's). 2nd is fine. If i'll have nothing else to use, i'll go for that one, but i still need to think of how he should move.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
First two could work (depends on what first one means), but others don't fit him well.
Yeah, I'm not super familiar with his source material, so I'm mostly making suggestions based off of his physical abilities.

The first one would be him sort of drumming his individual fingers together, putting both hands together classic villain style (might not work if the fingers are not rigged that way). Another option I just thought up would be him putting a claw against the ground and raking it toward himself menacingly, like he's sharpening it against the stage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm not super familiar with his source material, so I'm mostly making suggestions based off of his physical abilities.

The first one would be him sort of drumming his individual fingers together, putting both hands together classic villain style (might not work if the fingers are not rigged that way). Another option I just thought up would be him putting a claw against the ground and raking it toward himself menacingly, like he's sharpening it against the stage.
I don't think many are familiar with source material.

His fingers can do that, but i don't think he is that kind of guy. 2nd idea sounds good, but it would work better as last part of the animation or at least part of it.

Last edited:

IROX568

Smash Cadet
Urgh...i've been trying to finish MF's last few animations for a month at this point and i just can't think of anything for his 3rd victory animation, side and down taunts. I have lines for them, but i don't know what he should do for them. Can anyone help me with that? I really want to just release him and move on to 2 remaining characters, but i don't want to rush everything to do so. I already have to remake a lot of animations when i'll go back to him after release because i'm not satisfied with their quality.
Maybe he can have animations that reference the other Faces. For example, he can imitate Jade Face's roar from the scene right before his first boss fight or maybe laugh and stomp the ground like Xord in the Ether Mine

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
I don't think first one would work well. It just doesn't makes sense (and neither does Mario's). 2nd is fine. If i'll have nothing else to use, i'll go for that one, but i still need to think of how he should move.
It's your mod, that's one thing, but I'm curious as to how it doesn't make sense? Especially considering you're asking for suggestions. References and callbacks to past character attributes are what fans largely appreciate. Sorry if this may come off as snarky, but I really would like an explanation as to why something like this wouldn't make sense (especially in a game like smash where Duck Hunt can summon completely different video game characters). Literally NOTHING in smash makes sense, which (arguably) is why so many people love it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe he can have animations that reference the other Faces. For example, he can imitate Jade Face's roar from the scene right before his first boss fight or maybe laugh and stomp the ground like Xord in the Ether Mine
That can be done i guess.
It's your mod, that's one thing, but I'm curious as to how it doesn't make sense? Especially considering you're asking for suggestions. References and callbacks to past character attributes are what fans largely appreciate. Sorry if this may come off as snarky, but I really would like an explanation as to why something like this wouldn't make sense (especially in a game like smash where Duck Hunt can summon completely different video game characters). Literally NOTHING in smash makes sense, which (arguably) is why so many people love it.
In his Sm4sh death animation, he explodes (with normal explosions instead of blue explosions for whatever reasons). He recoils/flinches from first explosion (and maybe other explosions, but it's hard to notice), then just falls down below the stage. The only thing it could be used for is Stamina mode death animation, but he already has one from XC (steps back, then falls on his back after few seconds).

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
i wish i could help but i know if i google metal face to learn more about him,im going to get spoiled

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
That can be done i guess.

In his Sm4sh death animation, he explodes (with normal explosions instead of blue explosions for whatever reasons). He recoils/flinches from first explosion (and maybe other explosions, but it's hard to notice), then just falls down below the stage. The only thing it could be used for is Stamina mode death animation, but he already has one from XC (steps back, then falls on his back after few seconds).
Ah, I see. So it's basically already used?

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
is the little finger wag near the start of the game when he dosen't get hurt by reyn and shulk already one?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ah, I see. So it's basically already used?
No. His original death animation will be used.
is the little finger wag near the start of the game when he dosen't get hurt by reyn and shulk already one?
It's his Wait 2 animation. I can move it to a taunt with some changes of course.

Now i have ideas for remaining taunts and victory animations, but it will have to wait. Exams are starting tomorrow for me and first one requires good memory (something i don't have), so, i won't have time to do anything related to mods. Great, isn't it?

Hurricane Rush

Smash Rookie
Any news about this soon? I've been really excited for anything new, since K. Rool's one of my favorite characters of all time. I know you can make it right, considering how awesome your Ridley is. Best of luck!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is any testing still needed here? I'd love to help.
No, it's not needed right now.

I have good news.
  • While i'm not done with exams, i have around 3 days to relax because i can't do anything about the next one anyway, so, i can work on something.
  • I Metal Face's sound effects from XC and while there are no sounds for his arm movement or stuff like that, i can at least make several attacks more accurate to the source.
  • K. Rool is being re-rigged and it's not me who is doing it. From what i've seen, it's already better than what i did. I will need to scrap all animations i made, but i don't think i'm losing anything worthwhile.

Top Bottom